Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Timmy Pt 4

Timmy was really scared again. This wasn’t his home and he started to cry again. They had said if he was good he could go home and now and he had been really good. He tried to open the door of the car, but it was broken and so he sat and waited for the man to get him.

This man was different from the other two men. He was small and reminded Timmy of the man who stamped out his books at the library. He had a soft voice, and his hands were soft too, not like the other men, they had big hands and they were rough.

Timmy got out the car when the man opened the door and looked around. He could smell the ocean and this scared him more than anything. Once, before daddy had left, they had taken a trip to the ocean. Timmy was only little then, but he remembered that it took all day to drive there. Timmy and daddy had played in the water and Timmy had lots of fun. Mommy didn’t come in the water because she was carrying her “special load” as daddy called it. Timmy had come up and dripped cold water all over mommy who had wriggled and tried to escape. She had laughed hugged him close and told him that his little brother or sister would be along soon. Timmy had put his head on mommies big belly and he could feel his little brother. Timmy had always know that Benny was going to be a boy and he wondered how come daddy kept saying that he was going to have a little sister.

That was the only time Timmy had ever been to the beach, daddy had said it was too far away. Timmy sobbed at the memory of it, it was one of the happiest days of his life. And even though he was only four, but nearly five, he was smart enough to know that if he was at the beach, he was a long long way from home.

He looked up at the man in the dark and reached out for his hand. The man felt different from the nasty doctor. This was a sad man. Maybe he missed his mommy and daddy too.

“Can you take me home now, please?” it was barely a whisper

“C'mon, lets get going. We haven’t got all god-damned night” the big man growled at Timmy, grabbing one of his arms.

Timmy squealed in pain and started to run to keep up with him. But soon his little feet were tripping and the man swung him up over his hip and carried him to the big building.

Timmy started kicking and screaming, trying to make the man let him go. Just before they got to the doors of the building, the man stopped and put Timmy on his feet and grabbed his hair in one had and his arm in the other. The man crouched down so that he was eye-level with Timmy, who was still sniffing back tears.

“If you don’t shut up, you are going to be the sorriest kid in the world.” He pulled Timmy’s face close to his own. “Do you understand kid? Shhh. Don’t speak. Nod if you understand.”

Timmy could hardly breathe, he was so scared, but the man wouldn’t let his hair go and so Timmy finally nodded.

“You don’t have to be so rough, he is just scared.” The sad man knelt down next to Timmy.

“Timmy, it is very important that you listen to me. You must do what you are told. If you do what you are told, nobody is going to hurt you. You must go with this man now, he is taking you to your new room.”

“No please, can't I stay with you? Please?” Timmy didn’t want to go with this man, he didn’t want to go to his new room. He wanted to go to his old room. He wanted to see his mommy and Benny. He wanted to go home.

The man looked at Timmy for a minute and then made a decision.

“Ok Timmy, how about if I come with you?” he looked at the big man and the big man let Timmy go.

Both men stood up and Timmy watched while they looked at each other. Timmy thought it was a bit strange how the big man seemed scared of the little man. Timmy liked that the big man was scared.

“Mr Fenigore, I have strict instructions from Dr Raines that I have to take him and install him in his space right away. The doctor will be here in the morning and wants to get things started,”

“Yes, yes. Very well. What room number has been assigned? I will take him and make sure he is properly processed. “

“I am sorry sir, but I am not authorized to give you that information. Dr Raines was very specific in his instructions. Please sir, your responsibility is to complete the paperwork, I will ensure that the boy is taken to his space. Now sir, I must insist that you let me do my job.”

Timmy didn’t understand what was going on here, but he could feel the fear from both the men every time the name Dr Raines was mentioned. He cringed when he realised that the big man had won the fight. The sad man took one last look at Timmy and turned and walked away.

“Ok kid. You do what you are told from now on. I don’t want to hear any noise coming out of your mouth, and I do, I promise you, you are going to be sorry. Now come here.”

The man grabbed Timmy's arm again and dragged him inside the building.

Timmy's arm was sore, and he was hungry. But he couldn’t help but be amazed at this building. It was so big. He had never seen anything like it before. There were a few people around and he wondered what they would be doing here, up so late past bed time. He looked around, but was careful not to make any noise.

The man pulled him over to an elevator and pushed a button. He didn’t speak while he waited and Timmy started to fidget. But he stopped when the man yanked on his arm. When the elevator arrived, he pulled Tmmy in. Timmy usually liked riding in elevators. They were fun because they made his tummy feel funny. But now he was just scared. The elevator went down and down and down. Timmy tried to take his mind from the pain in his arm by counting the little numbers as they lit up. Timmy's new teacher had said he was very smart to be able to count as high and as fast as he could, and he wasn’t even five yet. The lift finally stopped and Timmy nearly lost his balance. He had counted 27.

Timmy forgot his troubles for a moment. 27. He could hardly believe it. He had never been that high before. His mommy had taken him to see a man about some law last week, and he had worked on the tenth floor. Timmy had been so excited to look down on the street and see how tiny the people and cars looked from the window. And 27 was almost three times higher than that.

When the doors opened, Timmy was out before the man. He was looking around for windows. But all he saw was long hallways. He couldn’t see a window in sight and he started to panic again. He looked up at the man who was pulling him along and he knew he was supposed to be quiet, but he couldn’t stop himself.

“Where are the windows?”

The man laughed at him and Timmy tried to prepare himself in case the man hit him again.

“Oh kid, you got a lot to learn. There are no windows. We are below ground. Now shut up and come along.” The man pulled on his arm again.

Below ground? That didn’t make any sense. Buildings didn’t go underneath the world. They went on top. Up towards the sky. He might only be a kid, but even dumb kids knew that.

They stopped in front of a door. There was a little number on it that Timmy could just see if he strained his neck. It was 155. The man put a key in the door and opened it and pushed Timmy forward.

“Welcome home kid.”

The door slammed shut and Timmy heard the man turn the key. He turned around and saw that there was no handle on the door. He tried to push it open, but it wouldn’t move. He looked around at the tiny room and threw himself on the bed, the only single thing in the room. He cried himself to sleep.