Pis Aller by Mirage
Summary:

A last resort


Categories: Post IOTH Characters: Broots, Jarod, Miss Parker
Genres: Angst, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 11762 Read: 4676 Published: 28/09/22 Updated: 01/03/24

1. Chapter 1 by Mirage

2. Chapter 2 by Mirage

3. Chapter 3 by Mirage

4. Chapter 4 by Mirage

5. Chapter 5 by Mirage

6. Chapter 6 by Mirage

7. Chapter 7 by Mirage

Chapter 1 by Mirage







Jarod had first noticed the black sedan two weeks earlier, traveling westbound on Interstate 90, just past the Massachusetts turnpike. Secure in the eastbound lane, he'd adjusted his plans accordingly, driving south, and meeting his mother in Memphis.

That same sedan was behind him now, and he suspected that it had been there all along, and that perhaps he'd misspent his freedom, after all. Jarod believed he had, at the very least, made a critical miscalculation, because there should have been a hell of a lot more than a battered Harley and an SUV, mere meters, between himself and the Centre.

He'd sacrificed relationships, discarded lovers and any lingering hope of stability and normality, investing heavily, instead, in himself. The notion of recapture, inevitable prodding, and incessant mindfucks enraged him. He adamantly preferred death and homicide to capture, subjugation, relinquishing bodily integrity, and was categorically amenable to spilling blood to protect his family.

Jarod shouted a voice command and received immediate confirmation from the personal assistance application. Calling Mom, the app informed him indifferently, quite oblivious to the developing crisis, further infuriating Jarod. The matter was urgent. Life or death. He wanted to hear some fucking hustle, and fully intended to publish a scathing review of the app later.
If I'm not rotting in a Triumvirate prison later.

Jarod counted seconds, considered options. "Mom, come on, answer," he pleaded mutely.

He was equidistant from the marinawhere Margaret's Classique, a second-hand purchase, was mooredand the modest Sag Harbor investigation agency where Margaret was employed, and where he had, half an hour ago, left her.

Rationale intervened when instinct urged him to turn. The sweepers were efficient; if their intention was abduction his mother was already in the backseat of a sedan. Jarod punched the steering wheel, was grunting a string of obscenities when Margaret pleasantly spoke his name.

Jarod exhaled a breath of relief. "Mom," he said, "We've got company. Do you remember w-"

"Yes, yes," Margaret interrupted, irritably, "it was thirty minutes ago. Be careful. We'll meet in two days."

Maybe, Jarod said silently, glancing cynically at the rearview mirror again, and accelerating.

One car indicated an independent measure that absolutely reeked of Lyle. "He should be careful," Jarod said darkly, reducing his speed. His mischievous grin widened when the black sedan impulsively lurched onto the highway's shoulder. "Gotcha."

The harbor smelled faintly of machine oil and lighter fluid, and was moderately crowded. The thump of music from the on-site repair shop was tolerable, and mingled pleasantly with the cello sonata wafting from the water.  Jarod believed that Eminem added another dimension to Beethoven, and that tying Lyle to Margaret's boat, towing him out to sea, and leaving him to die would be a delightful deviation from monotony.

Jarod promptly parked several meters from a modest, and perpetually closed, dockside restaurant. Two teenagers were disemboweling fish, tossing unwanted bits on fallen pylons. Their trousers were sodden from the knees down, their feet bare. Stepping out of his jeep, Jarod returned their hellos and cheerful waves, and casually descended the stairs to the dock. The dark sedan was creeping menacingly into the gravel lot when he boarded the boat.

Eagerly, Jarod awaited advancing footsteps. He'd forgotten this, the anticipation, the headiness of power, predator becoming prey, but remembered, fondly, the exhilarating disarmament dance.

The boat creaked, a shadow fell. Jarod counted the intruder's breaths, waited until the gun's barrel was within view, and struck. He lunged forward and in a fluid movement pivoted at the waist and seized both the gun and the trespasser's wrist, deflecting the barrel, rotating it counter clockwise. With a grunt of anger and dark hair spilling across his face, he jerked the barrel in the opposite direction, and competently took possession of the gun, opting not to break a trigger finger, after all.

"Seriously," Jarod said hollowly, punctuating the word with a sudden, percussive laugh. "You came alone."

"Did I?" Parker challenged stiffly.

"Ambitious," Jarod cooed incisively, adding with mock sympathy, "But your little fantasy of returning me to the Centre will never be more than that."

"That isn't why I'm here," Parker crisply informed Jarod.

"No?" Jarod asked, skeptically. "Why didn't you knock?"

"I wasn't confident you'd open the door."

"Ah, so you decided to employ coercion, force an encounter," Jarod said with a frown of incredulity. "You realize, don't you, that that's worse?"

"I had no choice," Parker explained.

"No choice but to stalk me, break in?" Jarod inquired dryly, lowering the handgun. "And bring this?"

"You know I carry that for protection," Parker said equably, sufficiently concealing discontent. Being disarmed wasn't quite tantamount to losing an appendage. It had, nonetheless, hurt. Eager to have it back, Parker followed the firearm with her eyes, observed Jarod shake the magazine from the gun, and ensure the chamber was clear. When he swung an appraising gaze at her Parker hastily averted her eyes and studied the water-sky horizon through a small window.

"Oh, right, protection," Jarod purred, nonchalantly tossing the gun aside. He sidled closer to Parker, and whispered into her hair, "Protection. Tell me," he drawled, "how's that working out for you, hmm?"

"You've made your point," Parker remarked crisply, involuntarily recoiling from Jarod's warm breath and facial hair.  Jarod misinterpreted her movement as an escape attempt, and seized her shoulders.

Parker narrowed her eyes, growled, "Let. Go. Of. Me."

"Mhn, not until you tell me why you're here."

"I need your help," she whispered hesitantly.

"Twenty years without so much as a go to hell, and now you want my help. Like everyone else," Jarod cried, "you ignore me unless you want something. What is it? What do you want?"

Parker murmured a soft, "Nothing. Just-- forget I asked."

"Forget?" Jarod repeated thickly.

"I'll leave," Parker continued, "find another way, and-"

"Forget," Jarod interrupted testily, "I still haven't forgotten the last thing you told me to forget." Moment of weakness?

"Hands off," Parker hissed.

"Not until you tell me exactly why you're here," Jarod demanded.

"Let go," Parker snarled, thrusting out a Louis Vuitton-clad ankle boot that landed in the vicinity of Jarod's kneecap. She immediately regretted the assault when Jarod reflexively extended an arm and captured the offending ankle.

"Tell me," Jarod shouted, and drew a sharp breath of disbelief when Parker answered emphatically,

"I need your help killing Broots."




 

Chapter 2 by Mirage






Silence, oppressive and thick, hung between them. Jarod interrupted it with an anguished grumble, grievances too cumbersome to swallow. Stunned, and with deliberate, sluggish movements he released Parker's ankle and shoulder, meticulously smoothed the silk blouse, and with infuriating tenderness returned everything to its proper place.

Already flattened against the wall, Parker withdrew further from Jarod's efforts, and with a reproachful glare pushed his hands away. "Uh, sorry," he whispered, asking, solicitously, "Are you all right?"

"Of course," Parker answered irritably. "But Broots isn't."

"You've never needed any assistance squeezing a trigger before, so you're asking me to -- what? Fake his death?"

"I can pay you half a million dollars."

"Tempting," Jarod said. "I don't want your money."

"I don't know what else to do."

"Or who else to ask," Jarod said for accuracy's sake. "Does Broots know?"

"No," Parker answered softly, pushing herself off the wall. She felt stiff and numb, disconnected from reality, distant from herself. And oddly unsteady. She recalled a table surrounded by U-shaped seating, off the kitchen, and ambled slowly in that direction, attributing the vertigo to the boat. "I don't have a plan yet."

"It has to be one hell of a plan," Jarod contended, following Parker. "Flawless."

"I'm aware," Parker agreed somberly. "And only one person can pull that off."

"Me," Jarod drawled bitterly.

"I don't know how else to save him," Parker confided ruefully, exhaling a weary breath. Arriving at the uncluttered dining area, she promptly sat, and folded her hands in her lap. "The Centre arbitrarily renegotiated Broots' contract three years ago. They consider him a liability, and won't honor his initial retirement date until he agrees to memory expungement."

"Ah, expungement, so that's what they're calling it now."

"The procedure is-- delicate," Parker said crisply, "and Broots fears he won't survive, but staying isn't option. He's always been anxious, but now," Parker's voice dissolved into silence, startling Jarod.

"But now?" Jarod prompted gently.

"Lyle has always terrorized Broots, occasional bullying, pranks. Three months ago he sort of abducted Debbie."

"Sort of?" Jarod asked, squinting with skepticism.

"Lyle lured Debbie and her fiancé Sergio away from their law firm," Parker clarified. "Debbie didn't refer to it as abduction. She said Lyle was charismatic, gracious. He told her he and Broots were colleagues, and that he wanted to surprise him with a trip to Paris-- fly him out to meet her and Sergio there, all expenses paid."

"Lyle succeeded," ventured Jarod blandly.

"That's understating. Broots was thoroughly surprisednearly to deathwhen he received the zoom call from Lyle. Debbie was thrilled, couldn't wait for him to join them. Lyle knew how it would look. A Paris hotel room, Sergio nowhere in sight- not during the call. Broots was frightened Lyle had seduced her, intended to kill her. He collapsed, stopped breathing."

"Cardiac arrest?" Jarod asked, dismayed.

"Takotsubo cardiomyopathy," Parker answered bleakly. "We almost lost him."

Jarod sat opposite Parker, and listlessly murmured, "Broken heart syndrome."

"He's already been hospitalized for three cardiac events. In addition to beta blockers, he's taking prescribed medications for both anxiety and depression. He hyper-vigilant, suffers from panic attacks. If Sydney were here," Parker whispered softly.


"Sydney would be here," Jarod snarled, his voice strained, his eyes hard suddenly, "and Angelo, too, if the Centre hadn't killed them."

"Killing is what they do, and Broots is next," Parker asserted indignantly, struggling to preserve equanimity. Her voice was fierce; her eyes, nevertheless, filled with tears. She felt obscurely and inexplicably responsible for both Angelo and Sydney, and for Lyle's sins. She was wholly unsuited to the role of proverbial brother's keeper, and believed that if she couldn't protect her own people from him she sure as hell couldn't protect the next dark web special he purchased. "A week ago he hinted at ending his life. Debbie abandoned her career, fiancé, put her house on the market, and moved back in with Broots. I have one chance to do this right, and you're the only person I know who has successfully pulled this off."

"If I had successfully pulled it off," Jarod countered with a quiet, fleeting laugh, "we wouldn't be sitting here right now." Parker's presence confirmed that his stratagem had been an abject failure. "What gave me away?"

"Not what," Parker answered with a taut grimace.

"Who," Jarod murmured speculatively. "Your mother," he whispered reverently.

"Mom isn't alone," Parker confessed uneasily, her voice wavering with the strain of speaking those words, the force of the truth piercing the air, its impact. Jarod inhaled a sharp breath. "Ethan," he said, and observed Parker's modest affirming nod.

"I'm assuming this a recent development," Jarod inquired softly.

"That's a fair assumption," Parker remarked amiably.

"Fair," Jarod repeated thinly. "Is it an accurate assumption?"

"What," Parker asked with a throaty, hollow laugh, "do you think I knew you were alive all this time, and where to find you and your family?"

"That does seem rather preposterous," Jarod said lightly, adding with cynical leer, "So, you knew the entire time huh?"

"Time," Parker asserted, "is something Broots doesn't have. If you're afraid of compromising yourself and your family I'll understand, but you should tell me now."

"Hmm, and if I refuse you know where to find me and my family, right?" Jarod watched Parker's face, the sudden surprise, suggesting she hadn't considered issuing ultimatums. There was a brief flicker of self reproach, malevolence. On the verge of a retort, Parker's lips parted, but quickly closed in resignation, and Jarod imagined the discomfort that accompanied the final whisper of pride slipping down her throat, particularly considering that she'd fled from a turning point, from him, only to return, two decades later, on her knees, at his feet, and at a breaking point, to ask for his help.

Jarod imagined, too, how Broots and Debbie felt knowing they were loved so fiercely by Parker.

"Am I wrong?" Jarod pressed.

"Happens to the best of us," Parker answered dimly. "Evidently. I didn't want to come," she confessed what Jarod had already deduced. The forced smiles, strained civility, and mute entreaties had been rather painful for her. She was all business, economical with words, careful not to stray from specifics. "Mom and Ethan insisted," Parker said, rising. "I guess they were wrong, too."

"No, I'll do it," Jarod announced, and observed Parker reluctantly return her hands to her lap, as if she believed he'd reconsider.  Ignoring the pang of guilt, and vowing to play no more games, Jarod said neutrally, "You seem awfully set on homicide. Any particular reason why?"

"A fatal accident or suicide mere months from retirement is awfully convenient, would raise suspicions; I can't afford an investigation."

Jarod nodded resolutely, and rose. Parker observed him pluck the kettle off the stove, and fill it with water. He returned it promptly, and scooped coffee into a press.

Something I said?

"Do you disagree?" Parker asked.

"Only with that last part," Jarod answered, turning to meet Parker's gaze.

Parker opened her mouth to reiterate that she couldn't afford suspicions, investigations. Jarod spoke before she could, his voice quiet, but remarkably stern, peremptory, "We can't afford an investigation."

 

Chapter 3 by Mirage

 

 





Jarod seemed deliriously cheerful, and that, inexplicably, infuriated Parker. And puzzled her. She'd invited herself onto the boat and into his world, after all; she believed he deserved happiness, and begrudged him nothing.

So why the ol' bitch shtick?

Parker dreaded these instances of incomprehension, the accompanying introspection, inevitable self-reproach, the past uncoiling, the reel of memory unwinding, the barrage of jump cuts, and agonizing montage sequences.

She had struggled for decades to reconcile dysfunctional familial and professional allegiances with personal aspirations, a childhood friendship, and lapsed faith, reconcile her devotion to an absent, aloof, iniquitous father with her mother's goodness, reconcile corrupted values with unwavering integrity, and Mr. Parker's crippling expectations with Catherine Parker's unconditional love.

Regardless of blood, and despite stigma, social and cultural norms, fuzzy feel-good aphorisms, inspirational quotes, convention, holy scripture and just how fucking taboo family estrangement and disintegration still is widely considered, there were lines that, once crossed, irreparably shattered trust and ruptured even the closest families, and that line was Ethan's conception; it was a violation Parker would never forgive.

She acknowledged and accepted that others might be unforgiving of her. And why wouldn't they be?

Parker had tried to purchase her father's affection with Jarod's tears. She'd sacrificed a childhood friend at the altar of family loyalty, deprived Jarod of freedom to secure her own, ravaged his family to preserve hers, and she was still quite incapable of reconciling the woman who looked away from the pain in Jarod's eyes with the woman who vowed she wouldn't look away from the pain she'd seen in the eyes of Jarod's clone- only to resume averting her eyes.

Memory was rather damning, unforgiving; the past bombarded her. She was often nauseous with guilt, and perplexed that the antidotedistance, time, giving Jarod his freedom, allowing him to believe he'd successfully faked his death, simply not seeing himhad been no antidote at all.

Seeing him again certainly is no panacea either.

Parker studied Jarod quietly and analytically, searching for answers to questions she couldn't ask, questions Jarod couldn't answer. The Pretender was naturally disguised; he could have confidently walked past Lyle and an army of sweepers without fear of being recognized, apprehended.

His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, he wielded a stainless steel spatula, and he wasn't afraid to turn his back to Parker. Which is imbecilic, considering how many knives I've driven through it.

She swallowed hard, drew a breath, held it for several moments, released it. If battling nausea were a sport I'd be fucking all-pro.

The vertigo, indubitably, contributed to Parker's distress, or, rather, the silent argument—regarding aforementioned vertigo—in which she was presently engaged, her mother's dogged insistence that neither the boat nor water were responsible for the lightheadedness. Tree. Blanket. Picnic. Mom. I hope the man I fall in love with makes me lightheaded.

Parker considered a spicy riposte. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mother, but weren't you under a psychiatrist's care?
Face it, Mom, Mister Dysequilibrium, yes Mr. Woozy himself, impregnated you without your consent--with another man's sperm. Your lightheadedness was a sign that screamed "beware," but you didn't hear it, because you were listening with your heart. 

Poised on a knife-edge of survival, and determined not to make the same mistakes Catherine had made, Parker frequently tugged at the interwoven threads, clawed the stitching, but she was incapable of severing herself from Catherine, and the communal, and inescapable, patchwork of horrors.

Christ, I must be twice as mad as you were then for letting you talk me into coming here.

"Are you all right?" Jarod asked Parker.

Startled, Parker stiffened, and hastily stammered, "What do you mean?"

"What I mean," Jarod explained slowly, covertly pocketing his mobile, "is are you all right. You're awfully quiet back there."

"What are you doing," Parker demanded with poorly concealed frustration.

"I can't think on an empty stomach," Jarod answered lightly, noting the tension gathered around her eyes. He couldn't be certain Parker hadn't seen his phone, and provided her ample opportunity to interrogate, before suggesting softly, "Let's take this outside."

Parker drew a breath, inhaling barbed rebuttals and sharp demands, and observed Jarod exit with his plate and cup. He didn't look back over his shoulder; he didn't have to. These were the terms of their unspoken agreement, her unwritten contract with him, evidently, and she didn't have any wiggle room.

Grudgingly, Parker carried her coffee and saucer to a low, dry dock that abutted a tiny tract overgrown with wildflowers and honeysuckle, and sat beside Jarod on the wood. The paint was peeling but the sky was cloudless and the air was pleasantly fragrant. The fooddry toastwasn't entirely revolting either.

Parker's palate, however, objected. She was truly afraid for Broots, Jarod surmised, and still grieving Sydney and their half-brother. And she was angry with herself for reaching out to him for help, angry with life's sadistic sense of humor, and dead ancestorsher father and mother includedwhose sins she was being coerced to suffer.

The predicament in which she'd found herself certainly wasn't some fabled suppose-to-be predestined inevitability, or an accident. There were an untold number of people to blame, monsters who had deliberately chosen to hurt others, chosen greed, child abduction, rape, murder, chosen to subsidize the Centre, climb into bed with the Triumvirate, become the fuck-buddy of various militaries, and look the other way, and she was being held accountable for their actions. Parker wasn't inclined to forgive them. Or herself.

Jarod was proud of Parker for placing Broots' sanity and safety ahead of her pride, choosing the correct path, regardless of how many times she'd reconsidered, turned back to the beginning at a halfway point, or how she'd stumbled and fallen and sobbed angry tears into tightly clenched fists. Jarod imagined the deals Parker had made with herself, with deities and various shady associates she'd cautiously, anonymously contacted, the lies she'd told, promises she'd made, money she'd offered, and hypotheticals she'd contrived prior to permitting herself to consider asking him for help. Parker believed, erroneously, that she'd suffered a crippling defeat in a decades-long war with him, that this was her white-flag moment. And, knowing her, she believes I'm tormenting her for the thrill of tormenting.

Conditions, needless to say, weren't ideal for a healthy appetite, digestion. Parker's pallor wasn't one that Jarod typically associated with good health. Her stomach was in knots, her throat was tight, there was a slight tremor in her hands. Jarod imagined that a restful night of sleep was probably as difficult to attain as nourishment. Something, after all, was wrong enough to compel her to ask him for help.

Parker, nevertheless, ate, slowly, mechanically.

Jarod restrained himself, lingered over his coffee. He didn't dare speak, explain that she'd fought a long and painful war, fraught with obstacles, a war with herself, and had triumphed. This was no surrender. Robert E. fucking Lee she is not.

Nor did Jarod level accusations, demand more than the sanitized version of the truth she'd shared with him. He was afraid to spoil the moment, break the spell. He wanted her to voluntary share the entirety of the truth with him, with no prompting on his part. They were at obvious cross-purposes.

Parker was already wondering how many more concessions she'd have to make, and if she could afford to be indebted to Jarod. He had further complicated her life by refusing to accept cash, raising questions regarding other currencies, but he provided no intimation of his expectations.

Stocks, information, servile mole inside the Centre, bootlicker, backscratcher?

Regardless of fee and currency, Parker resolved to pay.

Pay-- and get this the hell over with, and back to my life.

Jarod imagined what her life inside the Centre, without an ally, would look like. His stomach tightened at the thought of Parker alone in that hellhole with Lyle. That single horrific notion solidified his decision to submit his own proposal to her, one she couldn't refuse, and although he wasn't decidedly optimistic that she'd eagerly welcome it, he was confident he could persuade her.

"I don't know about you," Jarod said when their plates were empty, "but I feel like walking."

Parker rose wordlessly and accompanied Jarod on a narrow dirt footpath that dead-ended at a small park- a fifteen-minute jaunt.

Beyond a tiny water feature a the park's edge, Jarod lifted a hand to indicate a small breach in the bougainvillea hedge, and threaded himself through it. Parker followed and joined him on a concealed stretch of patchy grass, shaded from the sun by a canopy of serpentine vines. They moved slowly, forging a new path on undisturbed land.

"I realize that all you really want is another pair of eyes on this," Jarod said. "I'm hoping that you and I can bounce some other ideas off of each other, see if something sticks."

"I have a plan," Parker reminded crossly.

Jarod whispered her name, and explained softly, "No one's going to believe you're capable of murder, let alone murdering Broots. You love him, you don't trust anyone else with his life, and I know this is difficult to hear, but you're going to have to trust someone else this time."

"You," Parker inquired cynically. "The incident has to be witnessed, and you're already dead."

"I know, and I hate to do this to you," Jarod explained delicately, "but I- I have to ask you to trust me, to at least try."

"What does that mean," Parker murmured disconsolately, reflexively turning away in revulsion. Jarod lowered his head, briefly, and handily concealed the spasm of pain that tightened his face. "What the hell are you really asking, Jarod?"

"I'm asking you to trust me, to at least listen. Lyle has a history of terrorizing Broots. The Triumvirate must have quite a file on Lyle-- ethics violations, hundreds of allegations, that business with Thon, but nothing tangible. We can change that. You have the opportunity to give Broots his freedom and strip Lyle of his."

"Lyle," Parker snarled. "That's your plan?"

"That's my plan," Jarod affirmed impassively.

"And just how the hell do you intend to pull this off," Parker demanded with teeth clenched in anger, and fingers curled into fists at her sides, "without getting Broots killed?"

Jarod noted the quaver at the conclusion that belied Parker's stunning ferocity, and answered her promptly, "There are a number of approaches we -"

"A number," Parker interrupted hotly. "There isn't time to plot, pro and con this to death. I have to be back in Delaware tonight."

"Flawless,"  Jarod asserted, "requires time-- a minimum of thirty-two hours. And you're free the remainder of the week."

"Free," Parker repeated sharply. "No, I have to be back tonight."

"Look, this is something the two of us should discuss in private, and that's why your phone is--- in the car," Jarod ventured, "or is it in Blue Cove?"


"Home," Parker answered glumly.

"Mhm, and for the same reason you're driving a retired sedan instead of one of the Centre's new SUVs. You've been judicious, competent; now isn't the time for mistakes."

"There isn't time to argue," Parker shouted.

"Then stop arguing," Jarod suggested astutely. "Broots is on temporary medical leave, and Debbie-- has learned a lot from you, and she has help. Broots' cousin Newton, his wife, and two adult children are spending the night like you planned. If circumstances change within the next thirty-two hours, I'll be immediately notified, and I'll personally drive you back to Blue Cove."

"You texted someone," Parker snarled with a withering glare.

"Yes," Jarod answered somberly. "Now, we're going to walk back to the boat, and you have until we get there to tell me the truth," he said, clarifying sternly, "the unabridged version."

 


 

Chapter 4 by Mirage







There was no fierce rebuttal, tidy omission, or clever forestalling, and no loose adaptation. The unabbreviated truth spilled from Parker's lips all at once, like a dam bursting open, or a severe wound, Jarod mused, with the occasional impassioned spurt that indicated Parker was struggling to maintain equanimity.

Jarod was much too afraid that he'd fracture the tenuous acquiescence to stem the flow, ask Parker to slow down, repeat herself. He jogged steadily to match her pace, and quietly absorbed each gruesome detail.

The missing young intern, Broots' suspicions, Parker's insistence that Broots reconnoiter on his own, Lyle's house of horrors with a twist surprise that was, strangely, no surprise.

Bobby, after all, considered himself an outdoors-man, and outdoors-men hunt and kill, and consume flesh, and many of them, arrogant with pride and recounting their tales, display the kills, trophiesor parts of themin their homes. Bobby had done the same. Bobby's prey, however, was neither moose nor deer.

The head mounted on the door of Lyle's kill room was human. Two torsos, reclining like sphinxes, and positioned, sentinelesque, on either side of the door, were human. Long dead; human, nevertheless.

The missing young intern, Haliah, no longer missing, was also quite human. "Broots found her dangling from a steel frame in the center of that shed," Parker hastily informed Jarod. The Pretender's mind promptly joined Broots and Haliah, and immediately saw that beneath Haliah's feet was a long, wide black polyethylene stock tank whose purpose became clear when he drew close to determine whether or not Haliah had a pulse. Both Broots (and Jarod presently) immediately deduced she was dead; her heart, horrifically out of place, seemed to stared up at them from the tank.

Her body, however, appeared, impossibly, unmarred.

There was no typical sternum-to-crotch hunter's cut, no incision at all, none that were visible; he, therefore, posited that the heart, blood, and intestines couldn't belong to Haliah. Despite the evident depravity surrounding him, his mind decisively rejected the reality that his eyes presented him. Hope, cruel and fleeting, flickered brightly. He covered his mouth and nose with a shirt sleeve and leaned closer, intending to ascertain a pulse, but abruptly halted his movements. Jarod was close enough now to see what Broots had seen, the pink stains on the insides of Haliah's thighs, and near enough, too, to hear the intermittent dripping.

The incisions aren't visible, because-

Both Jarod's brain and body recoiled from the truth; he stumbled to an abrupt halt and inhaled a sharp breath. He knew Broots had tried to do the same, breathe through the upsurge of nausea, ignore the savagery. Instead, Broots had fallen to his knees and clutched his chest, and had neatly swallowed his vomit.

Jarod observed forlornly as Parker continued her pace, never slowing; improbably, neither her voice nor feet had faltered. He feared he wouldn't see Parker again when he lost sight of her, and vividly imagined her driving away. But when he reached the dock Parker was there, pale and pacing.

"This isn't your fault," Jarod said.

"I'm never talking about this again," Parker quietly growled.

Jarod knew, instinctively, that Parker had only talked about it once, and he'd had to push her all the way up against the proverbial wall to compel her to do it. He was astonished and perturbed that she had sat across from him with such immense barbarity and carnage gnawing away at her, consuming her, and had deliberately chosen silence, and after finally voicing the truth, adamantly refused to discuss it further. Jarod, however, didn't argue; Parker wasn't obligated to talk about it, no more than Jarod was obligated not to talk about it.

"This isn't your fault," Jarod repeated.

"Just-- tell me what to do," Parker pleaded, "and I'll go."


"That isn't the way it works," Jarod said sympathetically, and observed as she reached the dock's end, and swiveled.

"The way what works?" Parker asked.

"My brain," Jarod answered softly. "Tell me something: why didn't you come to me with this before now?"

"If you were capable of a clean break, not looking back," Parker explained, advancing swiftly, and abruptly swiveling. "I wanted you to go, be free. I thought I could tip off the police, or snitch to the Director, but Lyle owns the Blue Cove PD, and he has the Director eating out of his hand- literally; I found them, last month, in flagrante delicto, with fruit and escargot. And putting a bullet in baby brother's brain, as much as I'd love to do it, wouldn't have any impact on Broots' contract."

"Not to mention," Jarod called softly, "you aren't a murderer."

"I suppose there's that, too," Parker reluctantly agreed, reaching the end once more, and unsteadily returning.

"Do you need to take another minute?" Jarod asked, collecting the cups and saucers.

"No."

Jarod observed Parker closely, and with an expression both cynical and sympathetic, asked, "Are you certain?"

Parker stiffened, and answered with a noncommittal shrug, "Let's just do this, okay."

With a nod of affirmation Jarod said, "Refresh my memory, will you? Is Lyle's building gas or electric?"

"Why," Parker asked, her incertitude, momentarily, supplanted by curiosity.

"Because," Jarod answered darkly, "I think it's time someone blew up Bobby's playhouse."

 


 

 

Chapter 5 by Mirage

 


 

 

Jarod detected movement from the co-pilot seat, and observed, in his peripheral, Parker change positions again, uncrossing her legs, adjusting the headset, canting her body towards the door. She'd nearly been drawn into sleep's embrace by the monotonous radio hum and gentle vibrations, sinking reluctantly into hypnagogia, and jerking awake. Awaking disoriented.

Parker had aggressively objected to flying. Riding in a car for six hours was, unsurprisingly, equally unappealing.

En route to the small airport, one of many that Jarod's family regularly accessed, Jarod broached the topic of blueprints. "I have a contact inside Dover City Hall whose specialty is discreetly duplicating documents. No trail."

"Not even an electronic one?"

"Not even," Jarod answered softly. "Blueprints of Lyle's property, adjacent properties, as well as relevant city utility plans can be waiting for us when we arrive in Dover."

"Can you trust them?"

"Yes, they've demonstrated trustworthiness."

"I don't know," Parker said.

"You don't know?" Jarod asked. "I don't understand."

"Any trail leading to those plans is going to be discovered in the Centre and Triumvirate's post-blast joint investigation. I don't want to raise suspicions."

"That risk also exists if we procure the plans by breaking in, electronically or physically," Jarod reasoned.

"I said I don't know," Parker asserted with a low snarl.

"Yes, you do," Jarod argued hotly. His voice was flat and resolute, and Parker was incapable of ignoring it. "Compare the risks," he implored. Or ordered. Jarod's words landed heavily somewhere between plea and demand, indicating irritation, rapidly approaching disappointment, and Parker didn't understand why that stung so acutely. "It should come easy to you considering you worked in Risk Management for five years. Besides," he added lightly, softening his voice, "there might not be an investigation."

"If everything goes according to plan," Parker sang blandly.

"Yes," Jarod agreed. "That's the goal."

"Right, and just when the hell does anything ever go according to plan?"

"You're afraid," Jarod said, sympathetically.

"All right," Parker snarled. "Do it. Text your contact."

"You are afraid," Jarod repeated. "Aren't you?"

"Mm, ya think? I'm listening to the voices in my head, Jarod, and I'm still not certain how they work, or if I misinterpreted them, and I can't exactly text Mom and Ethan to ask for clarification."

"I trust that you didn't misinterpret them."

"Oh, do you?" Parker exclaimed. "On what basis?"

"You're here," Jarod answered simply. "It's evident to me that you'd rather be anywhere else. I'm curious," he said. "How many times did you begin to reach out to me, and change your mind before finally following me onto Mom's boat today?"

Parker stared blankly at Jarod for a moment, impeccably concealing discomfit, and discreetly enumerating each hasty retreat, careful reconsideration, eleventh hour second thought. Plus that time I hung a U-ey and almost T-boned a cement truck. I swear to god he's gonna be the death of me.

"That many, huh?" Jarod asked, expressing compassion and only mild discontent. "I'm a last resort, the last person you wanted to ask for help, the one you most dreaded asking. You wouldn't be here if you didn't absolutely have to be, so, yes, I trust you. Please, try to trust yourself."

He has an answer for everything.

And they're always correct answers.

 

Jarod, contrarily, didn't have an answer, correct or incorrect, for everything.

When he landed, for instance, and the copilot door wouldn't open he, too, was puzzled. The door had demonstrated absolutely no stubbornness when Parker boarded the plane in Sag Harbor.

Unthinkingly, Jarod reached across—across Parker, more or less—to open the door. There was no answer for that either. She was quite adept at opening doors. Kicking doors open. Shooting doors open. She's even punched a door open.

"Yeah, Ace, " Parker sang, echoing Jarod's musings. "I tried that. Do you do this with elevators and pedestrian buttons, too, or-"

Or. Elevators are small spaces; Jarod wasn't fond of those. Parker knew that. Hell, everyone who knew Jarod knew it. Still, he wanted to interrupt her, return volley, do the dance, play the game. It was exhilarating. Additionally, he wanted to inject a snarky, and no doubt amusing retort into the conversation. Something about pushing buttons. Pushing, specifically, Parker's buttons.

Intending to do precisely that Jarod turned his head, met Parker's gaze, and opened his mouth. Inexplicably, the spicy declaration dissolved on his tongue, which, Jarod believed, was nearly as bewildering as Parker's words drying up mid-sentence, and her sardonic expression sliding off her face; one closely approximating concern swiftly replaced it.

Jarod had seen the latter expression several years before in the same cockpit he and Parker presently occupied--only the plane was rapidly losing altitude at the time, and his father had been convinced they were going to nose-dive into an oil rig.

"I-," Jarod hastily stammered, straightening in his seat, "I'll get out of your way, and you can climb over."

"Yeah," Parker murmured quietly, immediately dismissing whatever the hell that was. She couldn't attribute it to guilt sickness; after all, Jarod, too, had been thrown offbalance. The Pretender recovered nicely, however, and swiftly exited the plane. He collected Parker's bag and his own, and offered to assist Parker in stepping out of the plane.

"I got it," Parker politely declined, "but thank you." She stretched and yawned, and grimaced in the heat. "What now?" She asked, swiveling. "Of course," she said, studying the asymmetrical two-story stone structure, its pair of four-story octagonal towers-- and the domes that crowned them. "You live in an observatory. One with an airstrip. A fast escape if this goes sideways. Clever."

"Necessary. My family- uh, doesn't trust you."

"Can't say that I blame 'em. I don't need them or you to trust me. I need you to help Broots, and when he's safe you'll never have to see me again. I'll pay you," she reminded him. Again. "I want to pay you."

"No," Jarod said, "you want to frame this as tidy business transaction, instead of something personal, but this isn't business no matter how much you want it to be."

"Whatever," Parker groused. "How the hell could you possibly have a pied-a-tier in Dover without the Centre knowing about it?"

"Is that rhetorical," stammered Jarod thickly. "I have one in Blue Cove as well," he confessed, closing the door.

"You're kidding, right?" Parker asked, following Jarod along the tongue of hot asphalt that split a sunflower farm. "You can't possibly be that insane," Parker chided, attempting to retrieve her bag from Jarod.

"No?" He asked. "Why can't I be?"

"If you wanted to run for the rest of your life you wouldn't have faked your death. I'll take my bag now."

"Ah, right," he said, relinquishing the black garment bag that he had, at the behest of his family, painstakingly examined for listening and tracking devices, and weapons. "I hope she didn't forget to swing by Gabi's," he murmured.

"She?" Parker asked.

"My-- associate," Jarod answered vaguely.

Associate? Mm. Weird way to pronounce lover, but whatever. "And Gabi's?"

"Gabi's Cafe," Jarod clarified. "The pancakes are-- otherworldly. Pillow-y, delicious other-worldliness."

"Jarod, we don't have time for you to eat again."

"That wasn't eating," Jarod corrected sternly, his eyes wide with incredulity. "It was toast. And that was hours ago. I need you to-- to trust the process. Careful," he cautioned, stepping onto a narrow, sloping, and poorly maintained, stone footpath.

"Two hours ago," Parker corrected Jarod.

"Hmm, I'm famished."

"And what process?"

"I have a process," Jarod said, defensively. "Eating is a part of that process."

"I hope to hell there's coffee in your process," groused Parker.

Jarod grinned, adjusted the duffel on his shoulder. "The first step can be tricky," he said a moment later, and observed Parker's inscrutable gaze. "The steps. Up ahead," he clarified. "Erosion," he explained succinctly. "I usually just jump over it."

The erosion had decimated a retaining stone wall, archway, one of the transit houses, and a pavilion as well- in addition to the footpath and the crumbling stone step. Jarod, a man of his word, leapt nimbly over the eroded stone with ease, and jogged up the intact steps that encircled the exterior rotunda wall.

"The portico on the north side's in even worse shape, believe it or not," Jarod said conversationally, pushing a key into the lock. "The ivy was the only thing holding up one columns."

Oh, I believe it.

"Well, welcome to the observatory," he announced with a sweeping gesture into the vestibule. "I haven't gotten around to repairing the telescope just yet," he explained, closing and bolting the door. "But the view from the balcony's not half bad."

"An observatory without a functioning telescope? Pff, disgraceful," Parker exclaimed quietly, following Jarod into a wide, dim corridor, and past half a dozen closed doors. "That's going to cost you a couple stars on the ol' yelp review, Mister."

"Then you definitely don't want to see the moisture damage in the basement."

"Ugh, what a dump," Parker jested with a light chortle.

"Hey, the raccoons that lived in the attic would have disagreed; it took me two years to evict them."

"I'm outta here," Parker joked.

"Ha. Ha." Jarod said dryly, slowing his pace when they arrived at the spiral staircase. "Before we go up I should probably warn you that all of these steps were missing when I bought the place, and these things," he said, tracing ornate newel caps with a fingertip, "weren't even here."

Parker drew to a halt halfway up, moments later, and swung her gaze at Jarod. "Wait, you're not seriously-- you are restoring the observatory?"

"Sporadically," Jarod answered with a shrug, "over the last seven years."

"Seven?"

"I get a bit uneasy when I'm this to close Blue Cove for too long. You're surprised, aren't you?"

"No," Parker insisted. "It isn't what I was expecting."

"What were you expecting?"

"I don't know. The exterior steps are crumbling, the trim's peeling."

"Ah, you judged it by its façade. Tsk-tsk."

"I surmised," Parker argued, joining Jarod on the second floor landing. "And I- wow, clearly, was mistaken," she added softly upon entering a room whose walls were lined with bookcases- several of which were ceiling-to-floor, and could be accessed only by rolling ladder.

An antique apothecary chest, with its dozens of tiny drawers and compartments, sat opposite a matching card catalog cabinet. Two pillars on either side of the room were original- scarred, worn, beautiful.

The hardwood floors had been repaired and polished, however, and the fireplace had been upgraded. The sofa, half dozen accent chairs, and five lamps scattered about the room were, evidently, recent additions.

Only thing missing is a contentious ghost and a secret passage.

Jarod set his keys on a sturdy banquet table that stood in the center of the room, and inventoried the contents of a large insulated tote that had been delivered, moments earlier, by his mother. A dozen pancakes. A thermos filled with coffee. A bottle of maple syrup. Butter. Heaven.

"Make yourself at home," Jarod said to Parker, although by then she already had. She'd been drawn to the century-old gramophone, and was presently spinning Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor, and flipping through a worn leather-bound.

Frankenstein.

Of course.

Manor. Music. Novel. Gothic trifecta achieved.

Jarod decided not to tell Parker about the secret passageways just then. Instead, he said, "I'll grab some plates from the kitchen."

"This place have a bathroom?" Parker asked, hastily returning the book to its home on the shelf between a leather-bound Byron and a creased Lovecraft.

"Several," he answered. "Behind you," he said, looking over her shoulder. "Down the hall. Third door on the left."

Parker nodded her understanding, and casually strode off, and Jarod did the same- in the opposite direction.

Sunlight poured into the vertiginous corridor from skylights that ran its entire length; the sky was a flawless blue beyond glass. And that felt, inexplicably, wrong, incongruous.

The plane could have at least had the decency to sputter a couple of times. They could have crash-landed, been stranded, forced to thumb rides to Dover.

It was all too perfect. And nothing had ever been perfect.

There was a pattern of sidequests, setbacks, storms, all troublesome and tiresome, yes, and also familiar. Unfamiliarity made each decision feel incorrect, and the future both predestined and unalterable regardless of any decision she made. Fuck these appointment-in-Samarra feels.

"Mm," Parker hummed, gazing curiously at the third door on the left; it stood open to reveal a bedroom, and six closed doors. She entered the room, pulled open what she was certain should have been the bathroom door. "Men and directions," she groused, staring into a massive walk-in closet. She opened a second and third closet, and groaned in frustration. "There's gonna be more moisture damage if I don't find--- finally."

Correction, Jarod. Down the hall, third door, inside the master bedroom, second door past the third chiffonier on the right.

She zipped her slacks, straightened her blouse, and glared at herself in the mirror while she washed her hands. 

Not just any mirror. No. Geniusboy's antique mirror inside geniusboy's restored bathroom inside geniusboy's restored bedroom inside geniusboy's partially restored observatory house.

What in the hell am I doing here?

Parker dried her hands.

Drew a breath.

"Okay. Let's get this the hell over with," she said, and promptly returned to the library to find Jarod paging through blueprints and tucking away his phone. "Am I interrupting?"

"No," Jarod answered sheepishly. "Of course not. Sit, eat."

"Let me guess," Parker said, sliding a chair from the table and sitting. "If you don't call every hour your family's going to assume this was a trap, and come after me?"

"Something like that," Jarod answered, stabbing the stack of pancakes with a fork, and sawing off a section with a butter knife.

"Mm," Parker hummed, thoughtfully chewing. "That's reasonable."

"Not really, no," Jarod argued softly, "considering you've known where to find me and them all this time."

Shrugging noncommittally, Parker tore off a piece of pancake with her fingers, thrust it into a small knob of softened butter, and bit into the salty-sweet fusion with a low hum of approval. She rose, and retrieved the blueprints and plans, and spread them out on the floor. "Avoiding gas lines is going to get dicey," she said, kneeling, and leaning over the papers.

"Dicey," Jarod said. "Not impossible."

"Are you certain? Because you said even a small leak is capable of triggering a catastrophic explosion, which would destroy evidence of Lyle's crimes, and Broots' motive."

"I'm certain."

"I'm not," Parker said. "The blast has to be small enough that it won't level an entire neighborhood, but large enough to kill a person, and knock down enough walls to reveal Lyle's shed of savageries."

"That's the plan. The Centre will blame the insufficient amount of explosives on Broots' inexperience."

"And blame him for blowing himself up. He isn't an idiot, Jarod."

"I know," Jarod agreed, nodding somberly. "And I know you don't like this- no more than you like the idea of Broots looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life, or what living like that would do to him."

"Killing them all would be so much easier."

"You can't kill them all. The Triumvirate will simply appoint a new board, recruit new operatives. Could it be possible that maybe your mother and Ethan sent you to me to talk you out of doing something you'll regret?"

"It's bold of you to assume I'd regret killing Lyle."

"Lyle is Catherine's son, Ethan's brother."

"He. needs. to. be. put. down."

"And what does your mother and our half brother have to say about that?" Jarod asked, and observed Parker's strained expression. She pressed her lips together so tightly they blanched, nearly disappeared. "All right," she said in a taut voice. "Let's talk explosives."




 

 

Chapter 6 by Mirage





"How are those numbers coming?" Jarod asked.

"They aren't," Parker answered. "Broots can crunch numbers with the best of you geniuses; he wouldn't make this magnitude of an error. The Centre might buy it, but the Triumvirate won't."

Jarod nodded brusquely, and asked softly, "What do you suggest?"

"I don't. You're the genius, Mr. Bombsquad," she said tartly, studying the white board Jarod had rolled into the library hours earlier. "A loose wire, faulty detonator, idiotic rodent?" Glimpsing Jarod's frown of perturbation, Parker irritably asked, "What?"

"Uh," Jarod stammered, imagining aforementioned rodent's untimely and electrifying death. "A faulty detonator," he repeated. "Hmm. It works. Initial blast, implosion instead of explosion, RDX slices this," Jarod said, indicating a tiny circle on the blue prints, "steel beam. Gravity does the rest, and the north wall simply falls."

"And puts Bobby's private crimes on public display," Parker said.

"Yes," Jarod agreed. "The second detonator malfunctions, leaving the majority of the building intact. Beneath the north wall, human remains will be discovered, and, later, positively identified as Broots'. This will raise the question of whether or not Broots intentionally detonated the blast while still inside. You're displeased," Jarod said when Parker averted her eyes.

"Damn right I'm displeased," Parker groused. "Broots is taking prescribed antidrepressants. He's talked about suicide."

"I'm aware of that, and I'm sorry."

"But?" Parker asked.

"There isn't a but," Jarod answered softly. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry that Broots is suffering. I'm sorry that he's talked about suicide. I have a lot of respect for him. He endured his ex-wife's addiction and being a single parent with grace, has always been a wonderful father, and he's watched your back over the years."

"Not to mention he risked his ass helping you with Damon."

"Yes, he did, and I'm not surprised that you knew about that all along," Jarod said with a stern look, and observed Parker grimace as if in physical pain and avert her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Jarod murmured. "Look, I don't like this narrative either. There isn't a better alternative, and we have to be careful not to strain plausibility," he explained. "I'm afraid that means no idiotic rodents. This is the way we save Broots."

"The Director is going to love it," Parker said with a snort of disgust. "You do realize that the Centre is going to install a mole to be present for the fake autopsy, don't you?"

"I do," confirmed Jarod.

"Just how the hell are you going to pull that one off?"

"Carefully," Jarod answered vaguely. "First things first. I need to transfer all of this raw data to the computer, construct a 3D model, and-"

"We have only one chance to do this," Parker interrupted dryly, "so please don't tell me we're going to rely solely on the results of some computer simulation. I need you to be sure about this."

"I am. As a matter of fact, I could do this in a clean, single-take  wearing a blindfold, but don't you worry," Jarod assured Parker softly, "you'll get your full RDX dress rehearsal prior to curtain time; it's going to be a blast."

"I guess we'll see," Parker said.

"Yes, we will," Jarod agreed, studying his watch.

"Got a date, Jarod?"

"Date?"

"That's the fifth time you've looked at your wrist."

"I'm expecting a delivery soon."

"Mm, and not even you are capable of being in two places at once."

"No, unfortunately, I haven't quite worked that one out just yet."

"Do you need backup?"

"It's important that I meet them alone, and that I'm punctual."

"I'll input the data," Parker suggested. "Go."

"All right," Jarod said. "Uh," he added gravely, slowing his pace marginally, "listen, if my contact sees you-" 


"Our plan blows up in my face," Parker interrupted lightly, "instead of blowing up Lyle's man-cave of horrors. Right?"

"Something like that," Jarod answered softly.

"I'll be here," Parker assured Jarod.

Jarod, displeased with his thinly-veiled ultimatum, nodded affirmation, and closed the door. He hesitated for a moment, contemplated locking Parker inside, and grudgingly reconsidered.

His contact was demanding, and nearly as impatient as Parker, and awaited his arrival at the bottom of a hidden staircase. Jarod observed the figure rise from a crouching position, and extend both arms. He murmured an apology but it was lost in the gnarl of frustration.

 "Finally," Emily groused.


"I know," Jarod said apologetically, embracing his sister. "I'm sorry."

"Doubtful," Emily said, dismissively. "Anyway, I met with the plug and procured blasting caps, et cetera, et cetera, everything to meet your blow-some-shit-to-hell-and-back needs. Oh, and one word, Jarod," Emily admonished hotly, "Sedatives."

"Emily," Jarod said sternly.

"What? Oh, no, you're not seriously simping for the queen of the karens, are you, bro?"

"I don't know anyone named Karen," Jarod rebutted with some incredulity, "or what simping means. What about her car?"

"Dad took care of it. Her stuff's in the kitchen."

"You inventoried it?"

"Of course," Emily answered. "No id, weapons, phones, tracking, or recording devices. No change of clothes, which means she's not nearly as high maintenance as I'd pegged her to be, and that she wasn't anticipating a sleepover with you, half a mil in a brief case, four liters of neatly labeled blood collected over the past three years, a dime bag of fingernail clippings, a gallon size ziplock filled with what I'm pretty sure are skin scrapings, and what I hope is chest hair, and not pubes, because ew gross.

But I can't tell you where any of the DNA is supposed to be spilled if I don't have accurate data, and it has to be accurate, Jarod. The assholes are going to enlist a dozen crime scene analysts, and their interpretations have to be consistent with the tale you want to tell. We have no margin for error."

"Everything's going to be fine, Emily. You'll have the data by morning."

"Remind me why we're doing this, Jarod? Why aren't we, at least, blowing up the place while the son of a bitch is still inside of it?"

"Look, I know you're afraid of him, and you have every reason to be, but you don't want to become him. You're better than him."

"I know I am," Emily purred, "and that won't change if I kill him. He doesn't deserve to walk this earth with the rest of us."

"You sound just like her," Jarod informed his sister softly.

"No, I don't," Emily said with a gasp of disbelief.

"Yes, you do. She said he should be put down," Jarod explained.

"She's right," Emily shouted, and stammered hastily, "For once."

"You both make valid arguments," Jarod said. "He's a trafficker, and he's going to be suspected of perpetrating hate crimes. The FBI is going to be dropping by to work with locals on this one. He'll be incarcerated. He might even be convicted here, and, later, when DNA evidence mysteriously appears, extradited back to a death penalty state where he'll stand trial for crimes he perpetrated there when he was a teenager."

"And if you're wrong?"

"I'll handle it."

"I don't like it," Emily murmured, crossing her arms over her chest. "I don't like any of this."

"Hey," Jarod whispered, extending both hands to gently squeeze her shoulders. He abruptly dropped his arms at his sides and frowned when Emily jerked away. "I'm sorry," Jarod said, "I didn't mean-"

"I know that," Emily shrieked. "I know, but I need to put some time and space between a conversation about him and physical contact. Okay?"

"Clearly, it isn't okay," Jarod answered gently. "Are you having nightmares again?"

"What do the hell do you think? Hmm?"

"I think it was a mistake to involve you in this."

"I became involved the day I discovered that my brothers were abducted. If that bastard's going down I want to be a part of it. I need this," Emily argued. "This was the deal, Jarod. If you try to renege and bench me now I'll leave here and take him out."

"Emily," Jarod exclaimed breathlessly.

"Besides, you need me. We barely have enough hands on deck. Speaking of, do we have someone inside the OCME?"

"We do," Jarod assured Emily, "Everyone's in position. But I'd feel a lot more comfortable if you took the plane and-"

"No, Jarod, I'm not going home to pace the floor and worry myself sick to make you comfortable," Emily screamed. "Just thinking about doing that is ramping up my anxiety. It's cool, 'kay, bro? And it looks like you've got this," she said, rocking onto the tips of her toes and tussling his hair. "She hasn't bitten yet. But text me if you get in trouble. "

"When have I ever gotten into trouble?" Jarod asked with a wink.

"Only every single time she's anywhere near you," Emily answered crisply, recalling Jarod's capture while attempting to save Parker's life.

Jarod observed his sister's hasty exit, but didn't see her at all. He was thinking not of the tarmac and his recapture, but of Carthis, and almost kissing Parker.

Trouble, indeed, the kind Jarod couldn't quite escape. There simply was no outrunning the speed of memory, and no resistance when we he was transported through time and miles.

He could only stand outside and look in at the memory, never alter events, never choose not to join Parker at the fireplace after all, never change course, disregard Ocee's entrance, and kiss Parker. It was a profoundly unsatisfying journey, and the trip back to present day was always disorienting.

Jarod returned, nevertheless, and drew a deep, fortifying breath prior to entering the library.

"Problem with the delivery?" Parker asked Jarod.

"No, not at all," Jarod answered. "Were you anticipating a problem?"

"I heard shouting," Parker explained, rising.

Jarod fashioned a blank expression and asked with some skepticism, "Did you?"

"How is Emily, by the way?" Parker counter-questioned, pushing an index finger across book spines.

Jarod stiffened, and answered brusquely, "Alive. Free." He studied the computer screen with an expression of approval, and swung his gaze at Parker. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Parker expelled a breath of exasperation, and said, "If I must. Maybe I was too lazy to bring you all in, or maybe I was quiet quitting before everyone else in the world caught on to how they're being fucked by management. I told you I hope you find your mother, and you did. You found them all. You got your happy ending. You win. Does it matter why?"

"It matters," Jarod answered softly. "Uh, but I- I was asking if you wanted to talk about the reason you're pacing the floor right now? Is it Broots, fear that we won't succeed today? Something else, perhaps?"

"I was bored when I finished with the computer."

"Look, I can understand why you're feeling anxious," Jarod said to Parker's back.

"I didn't say anything about feeling anxious."

"You didn't have to," Jarod explained with a modest smile.

"Right," Parker purred bitterly. "You're a Pretender."

"Not with you I'm not," Jarod corrected gently. "Simple logic. You have a valid reason to be anxious. It's possible that they'll appoint you to run the Centre. Or appoint someone worse than Lyle."

"Thanks?" Parker said dully.

"It's important that you prepare yourself for this, for the worst."

"Worse than Lyle," Parker repeated. "I can't imagine," she said, and added blandly, "Mm, and don't want to."

"You don't have to imagine it, and you don't have to run the Centre. You can leave."

"Right," Parker said with a dry laugh. "Because that worked so well last time."

"Look at me. Please. Let me help you."

"No," Parker murmured disinterestedly, shaking her head, "I need to see this all the way through."

"You can do that, and leave, and five hundred thousand dollars will go a long way in buying you a new life."

"A new life for me isn't a part of this plan," Parker argued softly.

"Look, you said you want to pay me for helping you with Broots. This is how you pay me."

"No, Jarod," Parker countered with some incredulity, casually paging through a Kerouac novel. "The five hundred thousand dollars is how I pay you."

"I'll accept the money," Jarod vowed, "if you'll allow me to get you out."

Parker turned her head briefly, and Jarod almost wished she hadn't. Her eyes were filled with an astonishment that bordered terror, and quite possibly contempt. "Jarod," she whispered over her shoulder.
"I want to help you," Jarod pleaded. "That's all I want-"

"Stop," Parker demanded in a voice strained with fatigue. "Broots is the priority here," she continued hotly, turning away once more, "and this has already taken a hell of a lot longer than I wanted it to, and I--- god, can't we just get this over with already?"

Jarod opened his mouth to speak, but faltered.
He both craved and loathed being thrust into the past, recalling some misadventure or other he and Parker had sought in the numerous frigid corners of the Centre. It was all rather Dickensian, he believed; those were, inexplicably, the absolute best and worst of times.

"What the hell are you grinning about," Parker asked, yanking Jarod from reverie.

"A memory," Jarod stammered thickly, "of that morning we broke into one of the Centre's executive suites. You asked that same question then, with almost the same impatience. Can't we just this over with already?"

Bright laughter tumbled from Parker's lips. "Oh, my god, I did," she said, shaking her head. "What the hell were we thinking?"

"If I recall correctly," Jarod answered, "there was very little thinking involved, particularly on your part."

"More like none," Parker corrected, frankly. "Daddy would have killed you if we'd been caught."

"A small price to pay for a second kiss," Jarod informed Parker affably. "You were thirteen, curious to know what all of the fuss was about, and I never could say no to you."

"What? You weren't curious?" Parker challenged thinly.

"Yes, I was, although-uh, I have to confess that the first kiss satisfied a lot of my curiosity," Jarod explained somewhat defensively. "I have an excellent imagination, remember?"

Parker lowered her gaze, and said contritely, "It was careless."

"Careless," Jarod repeated with a soft, flat laugh. "Hardly. You brought light and color into my gray, dull world. I wouldn't have had a childhood at all if I hadn't met you. Did I ever complain?"

"Maybe you should have. Maybe you should now," Parker cautioned.

"No," Jarod said sternly, "I don't believe I will. I knew the risks when we were children. I know the risks now. My family knows the risks, too."

"You could at least take the money."

"I could," Jarod agreed. "But I won't. Not until you're safe in another country. Those are my terms," Jarod added peremptorily.


"Your terms suck," Parker said brusquely, returning the book to the shelf.

"Perhaps," Jarod said. "But my cooking's decent."

"You can't possibly be hungry again," Parker groused indignantly.

"No, but I will be and- uh, are you not acquainted at all with the concept of cooking meals before you get hungry?"

"Do I look like Julia Child to you?"

"Uh, I don't know," Jarod answered quietly. "I don't know who that is, but I do know that you know your way around a knife, and your belongings are already in the kitchen."

Parker turned to face Jarod, and repeated cynically, "My belongings?"

"An assortment of DNA, money. The car, by the way, has been discreetly returned to a parking garage in Blue Cove, and thoroughly wiped down."

"Wiped down?"

Jarod smiled warmly. "Let's just say that even the Centre's highest ranking cleaners would be impressed with the job."

"Mm," hummed Parker lightly, "a genuine above and beyond operation you have here, Jarod."

"Yes, Ma'am," Jarod drawled deeply. "Client satisfaction is of paramount importance to me."

"I'll just bet it is," Parker returned with a throaty laugh. She noticed it then, and a full minute before the truth occurred to Jarod.

The block of space—a solid eight feet of comfortable breathing room—between Parker and Jarod had vanished, had, implausibly, shrank to a mere foot.

Their bodies, free from the shackles of Centre directives and propriety, seemed to have been engaged in their own discourse, and seemed rather confident that they could figure out the entire mess between them if only those pesky brains and the fucking Centre would stop interfering.

More carelessness.
The same kind of carelessness that killed Tommy.
Sobering considerably, Parker took immediate action to rectify the situation. "Lunch," she said casually at the same time that Jarod straightened to his full height, and suggested softly, "Dinner?"

"Dinner," Parker amended with a curt nod, and mutely berated herself, is the correct name of the evening meal.
"Or," Jarod offered amiably, "lunch, if you prefer it."

"I don't," Parker insisted with a quiet laugh. "I don't have a preference."
Jarod nodded and turned to the door. "None at all?" He asked, holding open the door for Parker. "Because we can denounce tradition, call it lunch or even breakfast, and entirely embrace anarchy."

"Speaking of tradition," Parker said, "are you sure you want to trust me with a knife? What would your family say if they knew?"
"Hmm," Jarod murmured thoughtfully, "come to think of it, the knives were kind of expensive."
Parker abruptly stopped walking and stared at him in disbelief. "Expensive," she repeated dully.

"Yes, quite, but it's all right," Jarod assured Parker with a wink, softly addressing her by name, "I won't tell anyone if you won't."

 


 

 

Chapter 7 by Mirage




"Well," Jarod drawled lightly, "this is where you get off."

Parker, marveling at the structure's mangled wall through night vision binoculars, lifted her eyebrows, and murmured a quiet, "Pardon?"

Silly, Jarod. I can get off whenever, and with whomever, I want.

"Unless, of course, you're dissatisfied with the results," he added, watching Parker's face intently.

"No," Parker said, returning the binoculars to Jarod. "The wall fell, like you said it would, and just like Bobby's wall will in six hours."

"Then this concludes your involvement in Operation Kill Broots," Jarod announced, reaching into the car. He dropped the binoculars into the driver's seat, and dimmed the car's headlights. "Those two sets of headlights in the distance are Dad and Isaac."

"Isaac?" Parker asked.

"The driver of the limo that you reserved four days ago."

"Mm, funny," purred Parker, her voice dry, and flat. "I don't recall reserving a limo."

"No, and you don't recall spending the weekend at the Hot Springs Bed and Breakfast either, but your credit card statement and airport surveillance will make rather compelling arguments to the contrary, and corroborate your iron-clad cover story."

"Mm, your family hacked into the Centre's travel logs, and discovered my favorite weekend retreat."

"Yes," Jarod confessed. "Perhaps when you're in charge you'll consider implementing a more secure firewall."

"It's bold of you to assume that I'll ever be running the asylum, Jarod, but I'll take your suggestion under advisement."

"Good. You'll find your receipts in the limo, along with your carry-on trunk."

"Of course," Parker said with a nod of resignation. "They broke into my home, too."

"No," Jarod corrected Parker gently, "your keys were in the sedan that you procured from the garage. Look, you should maybe consider familiarizing yourself with the receipts, and, if possible, take a nap before going into work."

A weary smile tugged at Parker's lips. "You didn't need me for any of this."

"No, of course not," Jarod agreed. And disagreed. "And yes, absolutely. I knew you wanted to be involved, and wouldn't be talked out of it."

"You wanted to keep an eye on me."

"I suppose you can say that I was afraid you would do something we'd all regret."

"Like put a cap in Bobby's cannibalistic ass or string him up by his bal-"

"Now, now," Jarod interrupted, "I'm sure you would never do something like that. I trusted you. I've always trusted you, however, as a precaution, I used your need for control to the advantage of this mission."

"You wanted to keep me out of the way."

"Initially, I had hoped that you wouldn't get in your own way, do something that might jeopardize the mission. Fortunately, you weren't beyond reason, and my trust in you was, once again, justified. I enjoyed your company, assistance, and valuable input. Our time together wasn't too unpleasant for you, I hope. Was it?"

"No," Parker answered, adding hastily, "surprisingly."

"I'm glad to hear that," Jarod said, reaching into a coat pocket. "I hope this won't change your mind," he whispered, offering Parker an envelope. "From Broots."

Parker contemplated the offering, and exhaled a breath that, in the cold air, swirled like cigarette smoke. "He's gone, isn't he? On a jet to some undisclosed location?"

"I know you wanted to say goodbye. I'm sure Debbie would want the same. This isn't what Broots wanted either," Jarod explained in a tight, consoling voice. "This is the way it had to be. He's safe, alive. That was the goal, it's what I promised you, and I'm committed to honoring my promises to you. Broots is grateful- grateful for all you've done, and for all that you will do for his daughter in his absence."

"Let me guess," Parker said, shuddering in the pre-dawn gray, "he knows that trying to contact me could jeopardize your family's life. I bet your father made that abundantly clear to him."

"Broots was apprised of the dangers, yes, and and I'm confident he won't reach out to anyone, but Dad had nothing to do with providing Broots any clarity on that matter. Dad's a teddy bear. Mom-- hmm, not so much; she knows her way around a crossbow, and can be rather persuasive, and she'll be here soon, too. You're going to want to leave before she arrives."

"And that's it?" Parker asked, accepting the envelope, and turning.

"That's it," Jarod answered. "Uh, for now," he amended, and observed Parker's stride falter.

"For now," Parker repeated with some incredulity. "What the hell does that mean?"

"You owe me one," Jarod answered softly. "Don't forget that."

"I offered you half a million ones," Parker reminded tartly, shrugging out of Jarod's coat.

"Yes, and you'll find all five hundred thousand of your ones in the limo, inside your carry-on. I don't want your money. Please, wear the coat home. It's freezing. I have several. Isaac will return it me."

Parker hesitated briefly, and, after a moment, gathered the coat around her, sank into its warmth. "I don't want the money. Take it," she insisted. "Please."

"No, I can't do that."

"Take the fucking money, J-"

"No," Jarod interrupted sharply. "Look, I'm sorry that this is causing you so much distress, but you-- you're just going to have to learn to get comfortable with owing me."

"Why?" Parker asked.

"Because at the moment there's nothing I need from you," he answered simply, adding sternly, "but, eventually, I will call in the favor."

"Sorry to interrupt, Prince Charming," Isaac sang behind Parker, "but the ball's over, and the meter's running on this carriage. By the way, Cinderella, I'll be happy to take that money off your hands."

Parker tore her gaze from Jarod's, and studied the man holding open the door. "Mm, nice heels," she said.

"Thank you," Isaac replied sweetly, observing the brunette's swift approach. "Yours, too," he said amiably when Parker slid into the back seat. He closed the door and addressed Jarod with a wink, "Don't look so worried, Baby, I'll get her home safely."

"Straight home, Isaac," Jarod commanded. "Don't make any stops."

"Aw, and here I was thinking that me and Cinderella would take the scenic route, and do some early morning shopping on Michigan Avenue. You know how much I love a shopping spree."

"Isaac," Jarod cautioned.

"I know the drill, baby," Isaac said, thrusting a gold painted fingernail at Jarod. "Straight home, no stops, eyes open, stand by until the not-so-big bang. You have nothing to worry about."


"Then why am I so worried," pondered Jarod when the limousine pulled away.



 

End Notes:

There is a follow up to this; it's missing, and possibly incomplete. I might have to retype it. (needless to say) Things don't go exactly the way Jarod wanted things to go.

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5715