Oblivion by Mirage
Summary:

A past transgression jeopardizes Sydney's life.


Categories: Post IOTH Characters: All the characters
Genres: None
Warnings: Warning: Language, Warning: Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 45808 Read: 61490 Published: 24/12/16 Updated: 14/07/23
Story Notes:

 

                                                    

1. Chapter 1 by Mirage

2. Chapter 2 by Mirage

3. Chapter 3 by Mirage

4. Chapter 4 by Mirage

5. Chapter 5 by Mirage

6. Chapter 6 by Mirage

7. Chapter 7 by Mirage

8. Chapter 8 by Mirage

9. Chapter 9 by Mirage

10. Chapter 10 by Mirage

11. Chapter 11 by Mirage

12. Chapter 12 by Mirage

13. Chapter 13 by Mirage

14. Chapter 14 by Mirage

15. Chapter 15 by Mirage

16. Chapter 16 by Mirage

17. Chapter 17 by Mirage

18. Chapter 18 by Mirage

19. Chapter 19 by Mirage

20. Chapter 20 by Mirage

21. Chapter 21 by Mirage

Chapter 1 by Mirage

 

 


 

I'm going to kill them all.
 
If they don't shut the hell up, I will kill them all.

 

"Please," he murmured softly. "Please be quiet."
 
Sleep, after all, is essential; sleep, nevertheless, was denied him: their unceasing chatter was relentless, and as maddening as a leaky faucet.
 
"Come on," he groaned and repeated the request. "I asked politely."
 
"That's your problem," came the lofty reproach. "You're a pushover."
 
A pushover, he mused.
 
We'll see about that.
 
He curled his lean body tighter, flexed broad, stiff shoulders and then swiftly rolled onto his hands and knees and lifted his eyes to the sky.

Bathed in insipid moonlight, he appeared, at first glimpse, to have shed his human sheathing and slipped into something a bit more feral.
 
When his mouth opened, however, his words rang clear.
 
"Shut up," he shouted. "Shut the fuck up."
 
Depleted from his exertions, he collapsed onto the cold, splintering pine floor. Yawning boisterously, he stretched and stared up at a stained, crumbling ceiling that simply stared back at him; the ceiling, he thought, mocked with its rigid indifference.
 
The ceiling, he supposed, was afforded that privilege.
 
He grimaced at the discordant laughter and swatted languidly at a black housefly that was guilty only of bad timing, miscalculation. His timing was marginally worse: the creature escaped unharmed. He observed its ascent with a sneer of disdain. "You're dead next time," he snarled. "You and the others. You're disgusting. Everything about you disgusts me and one day-"
 
Sharp laughter interrupted him.
 
"Oh, god," he screamed into his hands. "Stop laughing. Stop that laughing. Please."

He shouted himself hoarse, shouted until he was gasping for breath, until anger dissolved into agony, cries, strangled whimpers, into something that sounded neither human nor animal; it was the eerie creak of architectural collapse: shifting beams, crumbling foundation; he'd learned to mimic his humble refuge: pitch- perfect squalor.
 
He lifted his head several inches, and dropped it onto the floor with as much force as he could muster. And then he listened.
 
Yeah. That's it. That should teach them. That'll do it.
 
Thems the breaks kiddos.
 
Now shut the ever-loving fuck up
.
 
Dear blessed silence.
 
Brief blessed silence.
 
"No," he groaned. "Oh, please. Why? Why!"
 
It was inexplicable.
 
The impact should have alarmed them; it should have quietened them.
 
They should have feared for their own safety, their lives. They knew what he was capable of, after all; they knew he would jar them and smash them.

Even if doing so killed him, their not-so gracious host, as well.
 
"No," he shrieked. "Not that! Don't say another word about that place," he demanded, stumbling to his feet. "I don't want to remember that."
 
He tugged frantically at his hair, tore loose a double handful of dark locks and then threw a punch at the emptiness.
 
"I want to forget. I have to forget. Forget," he cried, shadowboxing in tiny circles, battling demons only he could see.

At last he wiped his brow with a wrist and shoved his hands into the pockets of his faded demins. "Oh, my god," he said, panicked. "Oh, god, no. No," he cried. "What did you do with my pills? Answer me," he demanded. "Which one of you bastards stole my pills?"
 
The bastards, however, didn't reply. Instead, they continued their dark symphony of hisses and whispers, their laughter.
 
They are laughing at me.
 
He squeezed his eyes closed; his face twisted in agony. "Don't say that name. Not that name. Stupid shrinks! Stupid fucking shrinks. No! No, I'm not going to do that. I would never do that to anyone. I won't do it. I won't," he swore with his mouth.
 
His feet, however, took him across the room and hastily past a twisted oxygen cylinder cart. "I won't do that. I would never hurt anyone," he vowed solemnly, disregarding the undulating blanket of flies that neatly concealed the decomposing body on the floor. "I would never do something like that to anyone," he said, stepping through the fractured archway where a door once stood and into the cold night.

"Never."

End Notes:

Happy Festivus (or whateverus).

Coexist (regardless of how you roll).

Peace.

 

 

 

Chapter 2 by Mirage

 

 

 


 

Sydney heard the floorboards groan, felt the room change. He lay his novel aside, rose from his chair, called softly, "Jarod? Jarod, is that you?"
 
It wasn't.
 
The man standing in Sydney's foyer was markedly emaciated and several inches taller than the Pretender. His copper hair had been shaved close, his blue eyes were vacant, emotionless.
 
Perhaps more disconcerting, a rusted crowbar dangled haplessly from his left hand much like an atrophied appendage. 
 
"Can I help you," said Sydney politely.
 
"You could have," the stranger answered. "You only made it worse.  You made it worse," he repeated, advancing.
 
"Let me help you now," offered Sydney diplomatically, his voice revealing neither panic nor disdain for the intruder. He gestured kindly, said, "Please, have a seat. Would you like some tea?"
 
"Tea," the man repeated, his brows knitted in perplexity.
 
"Yes, tea," answered Sydney softly, "and perhaps some scones."
 
He's stalling, you moron. He's going to call for help. You must really love electroshock treatment. Treatments ha-ha. Some treatment. Bzzz.

 
"No," said the stranger.
 
"Then please, let's sit," Sydney said.
 
Bzzz.
Bzzz.

 
"No, no. Stop."
 
Sydney acquiesced, studied the man.
 
"I said stop," shouted the stranger. "They don't do that anymore. They can't do it now. Stop making that dreadful sound. Please," he cried, "stop making that sound."
 
"I can stop them," Sydney vowed sharply, cutting for a brief moment through the tangle of madness. "If you will allow me, I will silence the voices. We can restore the peace."
 
"Peace. Yes. Please, please," whispered the stranger. "Yes- o- oh, no," came the mournful howl, "Oh, god, no. Look out!"
 
Sydney did, indeed, look; in fact, his gaze never strayed from the stranger.
 
He observed as the man launched himself forward with appalling alacrity, and comprehended the futility of dissuading or countering the fellow.

The crowbar sliced the air and Sydney reacted instinctively to defend himself from the impending blow, lifting both hands to his face. He grunted when his fingers were smashed brutally against his nose and again when his temple was struck.
 
The darkness swallowed Sydney at once; he was unconscious before his body plunged to the Persian rug.

Chapter 3 by Mirage

 

 

 


Amorphous and a shade darker than the door's surface, it could have been Bordeaux. That, mused Parker, could have explained Sydney's absence: he'd mishandled the bottle and gone out to purchase another.
 
Bordeaux could not have, however, explained the unlocked kitchen door Parker passed through an hour earlier, or why Sydney hadn't answered her calls the previous evening. Or why Syd's car is in his garage.
 
The answering machine was full; the messages therein provided no clue to the psychiatrist's whereabouts. Moreover, his closets were filled, his luggage untouched. The library was undisturbed, a novel lay on an end table, next to a lamp that burned bright and promised his amiable companionship, pleasant conversation.
 
It was only upon exiting his home via the kitchen door—through which she'd entered—that she glimpsed the odd stain on the door. She was careful not to disturb what could very well be potential evidence, all the while denying it was evidence.
 
 
When the door unceremoniously opened a fraction more, she instinctively raised the 9mm.
 
And managed quite nicely to conceal her surprise. The intruder wore a pressed suit, a tie, and a badge; his eyes were alert and appraising. The five o'clock shadow and slightly disheveled hair, however, told an altogether different tale.
 
Parker avoided eye contact with him and studied, instead, the Glock's dark eye- the piece was pristine, glorious. Truly.
 
Gun enthusiast that she was, Parker could appreciate proper maintenance even if the gun in question was pointed at her. Also, the gun provided a nice distraction; she preferred the indifferent gaze of the Glock to the steely cold glare of the gun's handler.
 
"Put it down, Parker," commanded the Glock's owner, interrupting the quiet standoff.
 
"You first," she returned haughtily.
 
Jarod conceded with a slight nod, peeled back the black overcoat he wore and coaxed the gun into his shoulder holster. His observant gaze strayed briefly from her face, dropped to the mocha camisole blouse, the black skirt, the heels. He sought incriminating attributes, and simply waited, expectantly, for her to holster her weapon.
 
At length, she compressed her lips and lowered her gaze. And lowered the 9mm; she did not holster the gun.
 
"What are you doing here," she said with a withering glare, and, for good measure, a sharp snort of annoyance.
 
"He wasn't answering calls," answered Jarod succinctly, entering Sydney's home and ignoring the several obligatory steps backward Parker walked to prevent a collision with him.
 
He moved about the kitchen as if it were his own, dominated the space, scrutinized it and its contents, and then wheeled around and met her surprised gaze. "What are you doing here?"
 
"Orders," answered Parker with an expression of disgust. "When Sydney didn't show up this morning for his post-employment examination, Lyle-" she stiffened, fell silent. "There were concerns," she concluded hastily.
 
"Orders," repeated Jarod woodenly. "You're taking orders from Lyle now? Hmm," he continued with a sharp, cruel laugh. "This is the different ending you wanted for yourself?" He folded his arms across his chest, shook his head. "If I'd only known you wanted to be submissive, Parker-"
 
"What I want," came her piquant riposte, "is to find Sydney."
 
"As if you care, interrupted Jarod. "You're only here because your sadistic brother ordered you to come. You forced Sydney out of the Centre. You forced him into retirement." Jarod's eyes narrowed. "How do I know that you didn't have something to do with his disappearance? How do I know he isn't in his bedroom bleeding to death right now," he snarled at her and then leveled a pointed look at the gun in her hand.
 
Jarod's words and eyes were incisive tools, were weapons, were as dangerous as the Glock he'd holstered. He was armed. Intrinsically well-armed. And he knew his adversary well, knew there were chinks in the armor, knew he'd personally deposited several himself, knew the coordinates of them all; he could trace with a finger the fissures in her facade. He knew where to strike; he did so with precision, with breath-stealing accuracy.
 
"It wouldn't be the first time you've shot him," he added, directing at Parker a brutal scowl that transported her instantly to another time and place: the walls of Sydney's cozy home dropped away to reveal a sandy shore, a receding boat.
 
She recoiled from the impact of his words—a violent head-to-toe undulation—and withdrew from him.
 
A bullet, she believed, would have been kinder. A bullet wouldn't have been quite as intimate or savage. Jarod clearly wasn't in the mood just then to be kind or formal.
 
Or merciful.
 
He observed her retreat with something akin to maniacal fascination. And he advanced on her without hesitation, with a predator's impulse.
 
"If you were involved in Sydney's disappearance," he said, hissing her name through clenched teeth—the name no one else dared to utter—and sidling dangerously close to her, "I will spend the rest of my life making you pay," he continued, pointedly didactic. "Do you understand me," he asked, and then, without waiting for an answer, added brutally, "I'll make you pay in a uniquely painful and horrific-"
 
Parker gaped blankly at the stranger before her and glimpsed the future- some distant moment in time when Sydney's mitigating expertise would be as elusive to her as it was essential.
 
Now, for instance.
 
She didn't recognize this particular incarnation of Jarod; it was the Jarod no one wanted to encounter, the Jarod who resorted to extreme measures to procure confessions, attain justice.
 
Parker did, however, seize at once the significance of his presence: the other Jarod, her friend, was unavailable to her, unreachable. Irrevocably.
 
The revelation was uniquely painful.
 
"You already have," she said softly, expressing her thoughts aloud, and interrupting his diatribe.
 
Jarod's brow knitted in perplexity, his face darkened in anger. "What," he fairly barked at her; he wasn't daring her to repeat herself; contrarily, he hadn't heard her over his rage. "What did you say?"
 
"Back off," she answered authoritatively, and then, gun still in hand, she fled. Jarod truly believed she was running. From him.
 
Oh, the times they are, indeed, a'changing. The change, bizarre as it was, wasn't nearly as gratifying as he believed it should have been, as it had been in dreams; cold reality was rather anticlimactic.
 
And he had never wanted their positions reversed.
 
He had never wanted her to run from him.
 
He had never wanted to pursue her.
 
And yet.
 
He lunged with appalling rapidity to halt her- an impulsive move, as autonomic as breathing.
 
She heard his footfalls behind her, felt his breath on her neck. When his fingertips sank into her skin, she cried out, hissed objections and obscenities; Jarod detected the word help among the litany of reproofs.
 
The instinct to obey her, to help, was so deeply ingrained that Jarod's grasp on her arm slackened marginally. In fact, he almost relinquished his hold on her completely, almost sought out an assailant. He almost wanted to comfort her, protect her. Help her.
 
He suffered a brief moment of disorientation after which he concluded that the instinct to save her was more puissant than it had any right to be. He concluded, too, that his feelings for her were unchanged.
 
Jarod didn't berate himself or his heart for betraying him; he supposed everyone was susceptible to moments of weakness. Even Parker, the veritable dragon woman herself, had suffered a moment of weakness- a fleeting bout in Carthis and, some months after, an entire weekend of uncharacteristic failings, one after another, and each shared with him.
 
Nothing had changed, but everything was different. She certainly seemed altered:
 
Help? Who is this woman and what has she done with Parker?
 
"Help," he repeated with an abrupt, mirthless laugh. "Help?"
 
Parker affirmed with an impatient nod. "Sydney needs help," she asserted, enunciating each word carefully. She watched his face expectantly, waiting for the moment when comprehension replaced perturbation, suspicion, rage.
 
Damn it, Sydney. You should have installed an abort button on your boy.
 
With a meaningful glance at Jarod's hand, she added irritably, "Don't make me shoot you."
 
Jarod's jaw—and grasp on her arm—tightened. He disregarded her gun, an instrument she had come to loathe over the years, the same gun that had taken her lover from her, and furthermore, and perhaps more disconcerting, he disregarded her and her words, her threats. Idle threats.
 
The threats were a thin defense, were crumbling battlements of a fallen fortress; they rang false:
she wasn't going to kill him, she wasn't going to shoot him, she wasn't going to drag him back to the Centre. Under any circumstances. Ever.
 
Her mother's work was sacrosanct; Jarod was part of that work. Returning him to the Centre was tantamount to taking up arms against Catherine. And Ethan. Parker could not, would not, betray her mother.
 
Nevertheless, for old time's sake, and more importantly to indulge Centre personnel who may or may not have been listening, Jarod thought she should expend the energy necessary to read once more through the forsaken script, deliver the lines, play the game.
 
Her disinclination to pursue him, her eagerness to ignore him and forfeit familial obligations were not new developments; they were, however, no less puzzling. And ironic.
 
Speaking of Centre personnel and puzzling developments-
 
"You're awfully certain that Sydney needs help," Jarod said. "Why is that? Hmm?"
 
"Jarod, let go of-"
 
"Tell me: is your brother using Sydney as bait?"
 
Parker's face twisted in incredulity. His query, appalling as it was, halted her efforts to free her arm. She chuckled. "I'm sure Bobby wishes he'd-"
 
"Yes or no," Jarod shouted. "Answer me damn it," he said impatiently through teeth clenched in anger, punctuating each word with a tug on her arm. "Look," he said, and drew a breath, and attempted to bridle his rage, and put away his fear. "Just tell me where they are holding him. Please."
 
"I don't know that they are holding him," answered Parker impassively. "There is no indication of Centre involvement." Prompted by the questions and accusations in his eyes—which were presently riveted on the large, wheeled Halliburton—she added, sourly, "Initially I was ordered to determine why he was a no-show. In light of the suspicious circumstances-"
 
"Of course," Jarod purred. "How convenient that you were once a sweeper. You're capable of finding evidence. And destroying evidence. That's why you're here. Why else would you come here without an army of sweepers?"
 
"Assembling a team requires authorization and time. I didn't want to wait. I telephoned Nicholas; he's flying in from Antibes."
 
"What if Nicholas arrives before you complete your sweep?"
 
"Nicholas is vaguely aware that his father and I are frien-" she stumbled briefly but quickly recovered, "associates. If he finds me here, I will-"
 
"What," interrupted Jarod. "Lie," he said with a measure of distaste, regarding her narrowly. "Tell him you're watering plants? Returning a novel?"
 
"A lie is preferable to the alternatives."
 
"Alternatives," repeated Jarod, vaguely amused. "Such as?"
 
"The truth," she answered simply. "If Nicholas discovers the truth, he could be-"
 
"Murdered," Jarod supplied when Parker fell silent. "You admit then," he added forcefully, "that you work for assassins."
 
"All the more reason for Sydney to resign," returned Parker coolly. "Before his loyalty to you gets him killed."
 
Parker felt Jarod's fingers twitch on her skin, felt the tension emanating from his body, and prepared herself for what might come next. A snapped humerous perhaps.
 
Jarod's hold on her didn't tighten, and was not painful; the weight of his hand simply conveyed the gravity of the situation, was a measure of his rage. It was, more than anything else, evidence of his desperation; nothing more than mere posturing.

His primary motivation was fear- Parker continued to bear that in mind. Jarod, however, made absolutely no effort to facilitate her decorous endeavor. 
 
"And that's it," he inquired with harsh brevity. "That's your explanation?"
 
"No," she said, violently jerking her arm free. "It's the truth. Believe me or don't," she added impassively. "I have work to do."
 
"I don't believe you," he stammered hastily, producing a pair of handcuffs from beneath the coat. Rage and despair had coalesced and culminated in illogical speculation, threats. "Last chance."
 
"Do what you have to do, Jarod," she said, resigning herself to whatever depraved interrogation tactics he conceived, all the while reminding herself that resignation in no way equated to surrender or consent, reminding herself that Sydney's life was likely at stake. 
 
There were other reasons for her capitulation, reasons that were as obscure as they were baffling, and entirely unrelated to the Centre's uncompromising policy on returning their Pretender alive and unharmed, reasons that perhaps should have been, but were not, interwoven with her loyalties to Sydney, Ethan, and Catherine Parker.
 
"When all of this is over," she added tartly and in no way ingratiatingly (she didn't want Jarod to mistake her words for a plea for leniency), "you can explain to Sydney that you wasted time tormenting me- time that we could have spent searching for him."
  
Jarod reached for her gun, and gently addressed her reluctance to surrender it to him. "This doesn't have to escalate," he said softly and with forbearing, albeit startling, politeness. Parker was certain she could scour the entire universe and not find a more considerate persecutor than Jarod.
 
"Sydney will be displeased if it does."
 
"Unlikely," said Jarod brusquely. "In light of the atrocities you've executed on the Centre's behalf, I'm quite certain that Sydney will believe I'm justified. He won't question any interrogation technique I employ to extract the truth from you. He understands that oftentimes the hapless marionette becomes ensnared in its strings and has to be disentangled, and sometimes even severed from its puppeteer, by an outside-"
 
"Christ, Jarod," she groused at the protracted digression. "Waterboard me and get it over with."
 
"If only time weren't a factor," he purred.
 
"Time is something Sydney may not have," she said, surrendering the weapon to him with a grimace of disgust. "Take it," she hissed, acutely aware that his incertitude prevented him from wresting the weapon from her, prevented the confrontation from becoming physical.
 
Jarod accepted the gun cautiously and with a brow knitted in apprehension.
 
Doubt was foreign and uncomfortable, an ill-fitting skin that he immediately wanted to discard. He rarely questioned himself, his intentions; intuition rarely led him astray. He lay the gun aside, observed her arms outstretched and steady, awaiting the cuffs. "You telephoned Nicholas," he inquired solicitously.
 
"My call history," she said archly, "doesn't lie."
 
"Even if its owner does," came Jarod's lofty retort. "All you have to do is tell me where-" Jarod words were clipped, his attention arrested by a heavy engine approaching rapidly. He estimated one, possibly two, Centre sedans.
 
Sweepers.
 
The squeal of tires acted as arbiter; they called the battle in Parker's favor.
 
 
Or so she believed. Cold steel caressed her temple and prompted her to believe otherwise. "Not a sound," commanded Jarod.
 
"Miss Parker! Miss Parker," cried Broots. His voice preceded his footfalls on the front walk and Parker knew without knowing how that it wouldn't immediately occur to him to explore the rest of the property or follow the winding drive to the rear of the property where her car was parked.

"Miss Parker- oh, my gosh! Are you in there?" Parker and Jarod both observed as Broots pressed his face to the stained glass and shielded his eyes with his hands. The window, in turn, immediately fogged over. "Okay, I guess she's not," Broots said, grimly. "Voice mail," he murmured and rested his head on the glass and at the tone, stammered into his mobile,
 
"Miss Parker, I have good news and bad. The good news is Mr. Lyle isn't angry that you aren't on a jet accompanying him to Harrison, Arkansas where Jarod is working for the postal service."
 
Postal? How fitting. Jarod is nothing if not postal.
 
"He's worried about Sydney, too, although not for the same reasons you and I are. He wants you to stay behind and launch a full investigation. Effective immediately, you are authorized to use any Centre resources necessary to locate Sydney. He has concerns that Nicholas will involve himself and will definitely involve the police, and we both know what Lyle thinks of law enforcement- he really doesn't want them snooping around."
 
She could almost empathize with Bobby; she cast a sidelong glance at Mr. Law Enforcement and his badge and gun. And his fucking handcuffs. Her opinion of law enforcement wasn't exactly at an all-time high either just then.
 
"The bad news is," continued Broots, "Lyle's en route to Arkansas where Jarod is working for the postal service! I don't have to tell you that if you haven't already found Sydney we are probably going to need Jarod's help finding him and uh Jarod can't help us find Sydney if Lyle brings him in. Should I call for another jet? I don't know what to do. I don't - oh, gosh. I'm heading back to the Centre to snoop around Sydney's office again. Uh bye."
 
Parker closed her eyes, resisted the compulsion to call out to Broots; ultimately she decided she had a big enough mess to clean up already. The last thing I need is Broots strolling in here, seeing the gun to my head, and soiling Sydney's polished floors.
 
"I suppose you think Broots is colluding with the Centre, too," Parker said, petulantly, when the car pulled away.
 
"No," answered Jarod, holstering his weapon. "Apparently, you and Broots are both puppets," he added with chilly remoteness, and produced a mobile from a coat pocket and punched in a number. Her mobile. When the hell did that happen?
 
He activated the speakerphone function and offered her the device. "I want to know where Lyle is going," Jarod said peremptorily, certain that Lyle had abducted Sydney.
 
Parker revolved her eyes, and with as much grace as she could muster, and every ounce of belligerence she owned, accepted the mobile, jerking it from his hand grudgingly.
 
Pacing the floor of Sydney's library Parker rattled off her inquiries, or rather Jarod's inquiries, with professional ease. She then demanded radar confirmation of the Centre jet and crisply disconnected the call. "Harrison, Arkansas," she said, deflated, to the window facing Sydney's garden. "And as you heard," she added dourly, pivoting to return the device to Jarod and to deservedly upbraid him for wasting time.
 
The contemptuous words lodged in her throat.
 
She regarded the empty room with indifference and returned to the kitchen. There, she opened the Halliburton and pushed her hands into a pair of gloves. Working quickly, she retrieved a razor blade and envelope and collected from the door the substance that most assuredly wasn't Bordeaux.

 

 

Chapter 4 by Mirage

 

 

 

Harrison, Arkansas, United States

 

Beneath a cerulean sky filled with cirrocumulus clouds, Lyle stepped from the jouncing sedan and quietly informed the driver, "You're murdering the god damned transmission, Joe. Two words: Parking. Brake."

Christ, the imbecile drives like my sister.

Straightening, he pivoted away from the lowered window, and, squinting beneath the midday sun, ordered neutrally, "Inside, Sam. Move. I'll search the loading dock."

Before departing the sidewalk, forsaking the beaten path and forging his own, Lyle searched the empty parking lot for police cars and passersby.

He scrutinized a mail truck pulling away, empty aside from the woman behind the wheel and dozens of packages. In full view of a bustling town, he rounded the structure's corner and threw himself at the chain link fence, losing his footing twice.

"Whoa," exclaimed Lyle when two strong hands plucked him from the barrier. "What the," stammered Lyle, becoming exponentially more infuriated when he was interrupted by condescending baritone.

"Can't you read? No trespassing."

 "Jarod?"

"Lyle," returned Jarod, mimicking Lyle's astonishment, mocking him cruelly. 

Brutally and entirely unchoreographed, Jarod spun Lyle into the wall, briefly losing his balance during the clumsy pirouette. Fluidly, hastily, the pretender seized Lyle's neck in one strong hand and drew a Glock from a holster.

Delirious with rage and frightened for Sydney, Jarod tucked the barrel beneath Lyle's chin, jerked upwards, gaining Lyle's undivided attention.

"What," purred Lyle. "No foreplay? How uncouth, Jarod."

"Where is Sydney?"

Lyle laughed dryly, said, "Gonna kill me, Jarod?"

Jarod's jaw clenched, his trigger finger twitched. He dragged the gun's barrel painfully over Lyle's chin, pressed it firmly against compressed lips, and, quite unable to resist the temptation and eager to dispense with Centre charades, thrust it forward, into Lyle's mouth, disregarding teeth, halting only when Parker's brother expelled a dry retching cough, nevertheless answering the question:

Lyle was certain Jarod would kill him.

"Did you have anything to do with his disappearance? Do you know where he is? Blink twice if the answer to either of those questions is yes."

Lyle's sodden eyes remained opened, intent.

"Don't make me kill you, Lyle," Jarod cautioned, his voice tremulous with rage, his face twisted in an anguished grimace.

Jarod pushed the Glock a fraction farther and grunted his consternation when Lyle closed his eyes and attempted to contort his neck, more comfortably accommodate the invasion.

"Don't lie to me," Jarod shouted, unconsciously squeezing Lyle's neck and observingin fascination—blue eyes widen in terror. A rictus of perverse delight that would haunt Lyle until his death distorted Jarod's face when Lyle began convulsing. Cries that sounded strangely unlike anything approximating human emanated from Lyle's throat.

Oh, God. He's not lying.

Veins protruded from arms that shuddered violently with equal measures of exertion and restraint. Jarod feared himself more in that moment than he'd ever feared Raines.

Jarod snarled an obscenity, jerked the gun from Lyle's throat, and relinquished his grasp. Vanished.

Chapter 5 by Mirage






I've been here before, deduced Sydney, recoiling from lights, a terrific metallic clash, the shatter of glass.

"Get your mind off your career for one second, will you? I’m talking about the children." Jacob had argued prior to the incident—a malicious, calculated incident.

Sydney's eyes opened suddenly, filled with ephemeral relief.

The nightmare, both precious and intimate, concluded.

An unfamiliar nightmare commenced; Sydney wasn't certain he'd survive to be haunted by this fresh terror. There was, however, no doubt that he'd spend the remainder of his life obeying Jacob's piercing, disparaging command. He wanted me to consider the children.

The children.

The child he had saved.

The countless other children he had forsaken; among those were his abductor, the man that had, presumably, restrainedand reclinedhim in an adjustable contraption that closely resembled a Bergonic chair. Sydney struggled to identify the man, both widened and narrowed his eyes in an attempt to bypass blurred vision; his head throbbed in response.

The tortured individual, meanwhile, argued fiercely with voices only he could hear, alternating between English and Latin. Sydney strained, unsuccessfully, to determine the man's position, proximity. "I said we're not using this thing now, Ray! We lobotomize only as a last resort. You've all concurred that shock therapy is indicated; it's imperative that we begin immediately."

Sydney longed to protest, to reason with the stranger, and would have, both verbally and non, if he were capable. He wore a straight jacket, iron shackles around his ankles; encompassing his headand secured tightlywas an apparatus, resembling a cage, called a branks; a projecting spike inside was lodged between Sydney's lips, preventing verbal communication, preventing him from closing his jaw; saliva, consequently, streamed freely from his mouth.

A hasty assessment of his surroundings significantly diminished what remained of Sydney's optimism. Desperately, he sought egress, bouncing his horrified gaze erratically between the four solid brick walls of a windowless, door-less, malodorous room illuminated via an odd vermilion glow whose origin was unclear.

A fraying rope ladder swaying gently served as both ingress and egress, presumed Sydney, squinting painfully to ascertain its precise location and whether or not the ladder was suspended from the ceiling of the room he occupied or from a second or third floor.

Sydney failed to reach any conclusion; he could discern no ceiling, only darkness.

Sub-level?
Is that what this is?
Some sort of subterranean reservoir?

The disordered stranger's seemingly disembodied head materialized from darker shadows beyond the reach of Sydney's vision, abruptly wrenching the psychiatrist back to his paramount dilemma.

Searching for an exit was both premature and imbecilic; after all, the impediment to his escape was not potential points of egress, but his abductor, restraints.

"Yes, yes, you recognize this machine. Of course you do," Sydney's abductor said, mistaking the psychiatrist's evident terror and bewilderment for curiosity, recognition, perhaps even appreciation. The younger man shifted uncomfortably; with some hesitance, he extended his hand and adjusted the nasal cannula, grimacing at the contact between his fingers and Sydney's flesh, and hissing, as if in pain.

He'd been attempting to ensure Sydney's comfort; understandably, he succeeded only in heightening Sydney's terror; that particular accessory had entirely escaped the psychiatrist's attention.

Dear, God, what else has he done to me?

"It's just oxygen, Doctor," Sydney was assured lightly when he, instinctively, attempted to retreat. "And this?" Sydney's abductor inquired, pushing a brain retractor set into Sydney's face and then mounting it to the chair.

Indifferently, patiently, the man tightened T-screws, made minor adjustments, and explained sedately, "As I was saying: I hear them in my head; they won't stop; the incessant buzzing never ends; it's all I hear, this infernal, unnatural buzzing of perhaps ten thousand swarms of flies. You can't hear it, can you?" He asked, staring vacantly at Sydney, and waiting, ostensibly, for an answer that he'd rather deliberately, overtly prohibited.

"Doctor Billy didn't hear them either. He didn't remember me either. No one ever remembers me. But he remembers me now--and how spurious is that title huh? Doctor? When applied to that reprehensible charlatan? He remembers me now, of course. And you're going to remember me, too."

Sydney didn't doubt him, this victim-cum-avenger.

He pondered incalculable sins of omission, victims whose names and faces he couldn't recall- including the name of his abductor, which, served, independently, as an indictment against him.

The stranger had experienced a unique variety of hell; he deserved to be remembered, compensated.

Indeed, Sydney believed the punishment he had, and would, endure at the hands of his irreproachable abductor was absolutely righteous.

I should have listened to Jacob, God rest his soul.

Sydney believed that in sparing countless innocents he and his brother might have secured their own salvation, escaped damnation.

If only I'd listened to him.

"That's not important right now," the younger man murmured to himself, echoing Sydney's self-condemnation: It's much too late for my damned soul now.

"What's important is that I must prove to someone that I'm suffering from a legitimate neurological condition, and, um, well, today that someone is you, Doctor Jacob. I'm not crazy. I'm really not. Just because my condition was triggered by you shrinks doesn't make it a psychiatric problem. I'm not crazy. You understand why I have to do this. You won't know how very, very bad you people treated me until you suffer the same fate.

And when you finally know that I'm telling the truth you will document my condition and publish it all of the medical journals and then you doctors can find a treatment and I won't have to hear this infuriating noise anymore. Shut up, will ya, Raymond," the man shouted abruptly.

"Now, to accurately measure the effects of ECT on the brain of a conscience subject we're not going to anesthetize you," the man said, apathetically, saturating some gauze rather liberally with isopropyl alcohol and then pushing it over Sydney's temples, squeezing gratuitously, and watching with childlike fascination the rivulets of liquid pool and trickle atop his flesh.

"And," he added thoughtfully, removing the branks, "you won't be needing this." The man eagerly seized a pair of electrode paddles and thrust them against Sydney's temples.

Sydney's eyes widened in disbelief. He opened his mouth to reason with the man, inform him of the dangers involved in not allowing ample time for the alcohol to dry and its fumes to dissipate, as well as the proximity of oxygen, the risks associated with ECT in older patients, and to hastily stammer the necessity of restraints, mouth guards, muscle relaxants, anesthesia.

Sydney was never given an opportunity.

The terrific flash and pain indicated that fumes were, indeed, present. Sydney squinted against the brightness, recoiled; rather than retreat from the sparks, however, his body, involuntarily, lurched towards them. He anticipated syncope, welcomed its mercy, solicited the intercession of saints.

Sydney emitted a strangled cry that sounded inhuman, was vaguely aware of muscles violently contracting, severe hip pain, a possibly fractured scapula, and a not unpleasant warmth between his legs.

Urine and saliva mingled on a dirt floor already saturated with blood; the smell of burnt hair and flesh, perhaps temporarily, vanquished the stench of decay.

Sydney's final thoughts, before thinking became too painful, were of Miss Parker and Jarod; he longed and dreaded, in equal measures, to see them again, was seized by an exquisite wretchedness.

Salvation is a remarkable, often unendurable, imposition.

There was no doubt that in the search for him, Parker and Jarod would discover the truth; Sydney preferred death.

 


Chapter 6 by Mirage

 

 

 


 

"Jarod was here, huh," Broots tenderly commiserated, averting his eyes hastily from Parker's face and accepting the samples she had collected.
"Focus on Sydney," snarled Parker, snapping her fingers impatiently. "It's blood," she stammered with a gesture at the door, "isn't it?"
"What did he say to you? He didn't-- you know, uh, do anything, did he?"
"I haven't confirmed that Jarod was here."
"But he was here," Broots asserted gently. "Did he hurt you?"
"No, and mm, my gun," Parker explained contritely, instinctively following an exhausted script, "must have jammed."

Fucking guns.
They have one job; one fucking job.

Parker's audience was neither amused nor convinced.

Broots smiled sympathetically. Jammed. Again? "I hope you're more persuasive when Lyle inquires," cautioned Broots in a low, tight voice. "What did Jarod say?"
Parker shrugged, answered at last. "He thinks I had something to do with this."
"You," exclaimed Broots, cynically.
 
"Sydney raised him. He loves Sydney like a father."
 
"And-- what? You don't? You retired Sydney out of concern, love, for his own safety."

"For all the good it's done," Parker murmured with a groan of remorse, her face clouding in tumult. "Sydney, evidently, isn't safe."
 
"Hey," rebutted Broots sternly, "Now you listen to me: this isn't your fault. Jarod had no right to accuse you of anything. This. Isn't. Your. Fault."

Parker wasn't convinced.

Neither was Jarod, who materialized, unapologetically, in Parker's home half past three, and, standing in a pool of dim moonlight, promptly began interrogating her.

"Why didn't you tell me that Raines is missing?"
 
Parker revolved her eyes, and, exasperated, murmured, "How the hell did you break into my home this time?"

Jarod straightened, his face darkened in anger, fingers curled into fists, and the expression of mild suspicion he wore morphed into something dangerous, something Parker had always known existed and that her father had instructed her to fear.
 
"Why," Jarod repeated sharply, "didn't you tell me Raines is missing?"
 
"Even if I'd believed his disappearance warranted a telephone call to you I wouldn't have known how to reach you."
 "You could have mentioned it to Sydney; he knows how to reach me."
"Sydney informed me of Raines' absence; I'm surprised he didn't tell you."
 "Do you honestly expect me to believe that?" Asked Jarod skeptically.
 Parker averted her gaze, shook her head. "No," she answered flatly.
 "I know you never visit his home and haven't telephoned him in years. I took a look at your phone records."
"Of course you did," remarked Parker, bitterly.

"Or," speculated Jarod, "is there another device I don't know about?"
"Among other things that are none of your god damned business," Parker said, "yes."

Jarod absorbed her hostility with a grimace, and lowering his voice, asked, "How am I to verify that Sydney knows how to reach you or any contact the two of you have had?"
"We dined at Satari's last week. Sydney always orders saag paneer and lavender tea."
"Always," repeated Jarod with an expression Parker could only describe as homicidal, and her father's warnings returned to her in rapid succession.

He's a dangerous man, Angel.
Never make the mistake of believing that he's incapable of murder.

Parker closed her eyes, massaged her temples.
"The two of you are regulars there then," Jarod said. "Fascinating. Sydney never mentioned it. I wonder why that is. Hmm. Did you specifically ask him not to tell me that you are a part of his life?"

"Sydney understands that I don't need any impediments -"

"I see," interrupted Jarod, hotly. "I've been downgraded from a colossal mess to a trifling impediment?"

"I don't have the energy to do this anymore, Jarod."

"You realize, don't you, how quickly I can revert back to being a colossal mess, or worse, and that is precisely what I'm going to do if you don't answer my questions."

"Get out of my house," ordered Parker, fiercely.

Jarod's lips curved into a malicious smile. "What are you going to do if I don't," he challenged darkly. "Hmm? Are you going to call this in, forsake your mother, shoot me, kill me?"

Parker expelled a soft snort that aspired to be a laugh. "I should have listened to my father when he told me not to trust you, shouldn't have let you get close," she murmured in a low voice that illy concealed the self-loathing and anguish strangling her.
"You've known all along there's nothing I can do; it's why you wanted me to lead the pursuit team. I can't even call the cops," she added with a mirthless laugh. "You'll contrive some tale, flash FBI credentials, send them away. It must feel truly satisfying, Jarod, to know your adversary's weaknesses, to be confident thatregardless of errors, wrong turns, and close callsyou're incapable of losing.
Just don't forget who it was that paid for your salvation with her life, and make no mistake," Parker added, tearfully, "you weren't worth the cost."

Wounded by Parker's words, her tears, Jarod inhaled a sharp breath, and, with a jaw clenched in anger, continued staring steadily at her face. "I intend to follow up at Satari's."

"Send my regards to Yasmine and Ousaf," Parker returned coolly, pinching a Davidoff from a small box that shared a sofa cushion with her, attempting, desperately, to restore the appearance of impenetrable indifference.

Jarod isn't here because he wants to be.
He's here because he doesn't know where else to go; he doesn't know what else to do.
He's terrified.
And, yes, Daddy, he is capable of murder.

"If you're lying to me," cautioned Jarod, gravely, ashamed of himself for threatening her, terrorizing her, and, yet, quite unwilling to silence himself, "life is going to get rather unpleasant for you."

Parker fashioned a false smile, and, with enormous effort, concealed the movement in her throat that accompanied her attempts to swallow the hard knot that had assembled itself there. "Mm," she hummed disinterestedly, lighting the Davidoff with a trembling hand and inhaling deeply, "as opposed to the goddamn delight life already is for me."

Titling her chin skyward, Parker exhaled a thick column of smoke, and announced nonchalantly, "My mother is dead because of you, Jarod. If Sydney dies, too, because of you, because you wasted time trying to prove that I had something to do with his disappearance, I'll never forgive you."


No, mused Jarod, as he sped towards Lyle's home, continuing a dangerously escalating, and, inexorable, cycle, that would lead him back to Parker.

And I'll never forgive myself.

 


 

 

 

Chapter 7 by Mirage

 

 


 

"You've soiled yourself," an unfamiliar voice announced. "Hey! I said you soiled yourself. Inconsequential, I suppose. The nurses undressed and bathed you." The words were punctuated with a stinging slap across Sydney's face that effectively roused him. "Can you hear me?"

Sydney could, and could not. The psychiatrist straddled two worlds: his present captor's rather humble dwelling and Krieg's hideous laboratory in Dachau, the barracks and degradation, barbed wire fencing, isolation, incalculable abuses.

No. That hell ended, I recall; indeed, it ended and the world agreed that it wouldn't be forgotten, and, certainly, never repeated.

The world is a goddamn liar.

And God must truly be dead for allowing it to happen again.


The dreadful internment camps were one of Sydney's earliest memories, some of the most painful memories. He loathed the thought of dying now, not because he feared the end, but because his final memories would be of the broken promise, of history repeating itself, the resurgence of internment camps, children screaming for help, crying for their parents, illness, terror, death.

The world's inhabitants were as evil as he'd believed they were when we was a child in Krieg's lab.

Nothing had changed.

I've changed nothing.

Sydney believed he was going to depart the earth in the coming hours, leave it in the same irreparably shattered condition it had been when he was a boy.

"I've sent the nurses home for the evening," Sydney's captor continued brusquely, quite confident in his delusions.

Sydney refused to nurture any delusions. He did, however, with some effort, lift his face, and open his eyes.

He'd, evidently, survived a barbaric variant of electroconvulsive therapy with his mind intact; his horror, however, was redoubled at the prospect of being nude in his disordered captor's presence.

The undiminished fetor negated declarations of bathing, nurses, cleanliness. An already oppressive stench was exacerbated by Sydney's bodily evacuations. Decomposition and blood mingled with vomit, feces, scorched hair and flesh, the tang of perspiration.

Improbably, hunger relentlessly gnawed at Sydney just beneath the terror; his body shuddered uncontrollably. The notion of being hungry, particularly while the continued assault on his olfactory system was waged, angered Sydney. Sustenance and warmth seemed like nonessential factors in the face of captivity, abject squalor, the immense potential for further abuses. Escape was Sydney's primary objective.

I must think only of escape.

Rumination was a double-edged sword.

Oh, dear God, how did Jarod ever forgive me?

Like Jarod, Sydney would refuse any meal offered him, was quite unwilling to eat given the appalling circumstances.

Sydney recalled that Jarod was force-fed, that his spirit was broken; he eventually yielded, cooperated with abductors. And that was the true, ultimate cruelty, the most loathsome indignity.

The abduction itself was criminal, horrible; coercing the victim to comply⁠—and eventually collaborate⁠—with his captors was remarkably heinous.

This is my destiny.


Fate is avenging what Jarod could not. Would not.

Because Jarod loves me.


Sydney started when his abductor shrieked wildly and argued with a blood-splattered wall.

"No! You won't cure anything if you're always afraid to fail. It's called ground breaking for a reason. Your unprofessionalism will not be tolerated. I've killed no one. The patient was fatally ill, had been a chain-smoker for four decades; he killed himself. Because," he continued smugly after several moments of intense anticipation, "I don't want to do anything even remotely invasive unless it's absolutely warranted. Surgery, thus far, has not been indicated, nor will I retrieve the fleams until it's medically necessary; they are still being sterilized. I am, first and foremost, a naturopath. You others," he shouted, "you're butchers, always eager to carve."

Sydney's attempts to inquire proved futile. His lips refused to cooperate, word retrieval was laborious; the aphasia—a term that Sydney struggled to recall—was, he hoped, only temporary.

"Phlebotomy therapy has been widely used with no ill effects as has hirudotherapy. Hirudo medicinalis."

Sydney stared blankly at the man, and recoiled and attempted to withdraw when the fellow crouched, extended a hand, and removed saliva from his chin with a fraying handkerchief. "Can you feel them?"

Them?

Sydney's abductor referred to leeches, marvelous bursts of olive thickly delineated with bands of ebony, many ringed with droplets of blood. The parasites were greedily latched on to the psychiatrist; their engorged bodies were an indication that they'd been feeding for some time.

They were scattered about Sydney's body, all strangely out of place, entirely medically unnecessary, and reminiscent of William Raines' more unorthodox doctrines, and, quite possibly, Jacob's as well.

"It doesn't hurt at all, does it? Hmm? You don't even feel them; the leeches release anesthetic compounds when they latch on."

Contrarily, Sydney detected immediately an appreciable contrast between exposed skin and skin concealed by leeches. The small lustrous bodies contracted, undulated, suctioned, and would not be ignored. Sydney believed the pain, when several leeches reattached themselves, was comparable to a thorn's prick.

He was grateful for the binds that prevented him from instinctively plucking off the creatures violently; they would have, in turn, regurgitated their stomach contents into the incisions they'd made on Sydney's body, doubtlessly ensuring transmission of infection.

"Their saliva contains antihistamine vasodilators, too," the fellow continued didactically, "as well as a potent anticoagulant and platelet aggregation inhibitors that enable them to imbibe deeply, and more hastily detoxify your blood. And that clear fluid there is water that the leeches have removed from the blood; I suppose you know already. It's all rather fascinating, isn't it, Doctor Jacob? Or at least you said it was when you allowed these awe-inspiring creatures to feast on me. I was five. This was before my medical training, of course, and, being an imaginative and pessimistic child I believed I'd be eaten alive. And you laughed at me, at my fear."

Sydney's brow crumpled; anger dissolved.

Dear God, Jacob, how could you have been so cruel?

Sydney's questions raised more questions.

How could I have been cruel to Jarod?

"Odd," Sydney's captor added with a sly smile, "You're not laughing now."

 


Chapter 8 by Mirage
Author's Notes:

I feel compelled to type the same words here that I typed in the chapter notes section of the most recent update of The Return. Those words are still true. I suppose I can understand the need for a distraction at the moment, however.

 

 


 

 

"You have got to be fucking kidding me," snarled Parker, attempting, nonetheless, to ignore the vibrating mobile. Three in the goddamn morning. "I'm going to kill the rat bastard," Parker groused, grudgingly retrieving the object and angrily pushing her index finger across its screen. "What do you want, Jarod?"

"Uh, I'm sorry?" The caller, a woman, spoke timidly, hesitantly. "Miss Parker?"

"What do you want," demanded Parker.

"I'm a nurse at St. Andrews in Dover. We retrieved your number from a cell phone that a- um, a Mr. Lyle had on him."

"On him?" Parker repeated, irritably.

"The phone was attached to him. There was, in fact, quite a bit of industrial adhesive and tape on his forehead and in his hair. We had to shave."

Skinhead Bobby.
Fascinating.

"And you called me why, exactly?"

"He's misplaced his car, keys, wallet, and clothes. This number is listed as an emergency contact; it's the only number we could find in the phone."

"The phone that Lyle claims doesn't belong to him?"

"That's correct yes, and he's convinced that you're the only one who can protect him."

Parker revolved her eyes, stifled a yawn. "Protect him from what?"

"From Satan."

 

Satan?

Mm.

Hell of an upgrade, Jarod.

 

"Don't you people have a psych ward for these kinds of things?" Parker inquired testily.

"Recent funding issues-"

"I don't care," Parker interrupted brusquely.

"If you're unable to remove your brother from the premises he'll likely spend the evening in jail."

Police involvement.

Fabulous.

 

____________________

 

Parker's battered and partially baldand rather traumatizedbrother leapt at her car.

"Oh, thank God," Lyle shrieked, sliding and stumbling, and falling into the passenger seat, and then frantically clutching the hospital gown he wore. "Lock the doors. Hurry!" Lyle shouted, his words all strangely muffled.

If he drops food in my car I'll kill him.

"Loosen your sphincter, Bobby," Parker instructed sternly. "Jarod doesn't take life," she added, and met Lyle's gaze. And gasped. Audibly.

Had she received a different telephone call, one from a coroner, had been asked to identify her brother's remains, she would have been entirely incapable.

"You were saying," Lyle said, making quite an effort to speak with a mouth filled with gauze. "He dislocated both of my shoulders, electrocuted me, fractured my good thumb-"

"Your only thumb," Parker corrected incisively.

"--and my face, evidently," Lyle continued as if he hadn't been interrupted, and observed his sister's face contort as she strained to understand him. "He broke three of my teeth. I can barely see. He could have blinded me. My entire body hurts, I'm going to have to shave my entire head now, and he knew I would. I have to take antibiotics. When my face heals I'll need to see an oral surgeon, and that's if I don't die before my face can heal."

"Die?" Parker asked. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm not supposed to be alone for the next thirty-six hours; the swelling might interfere with my breathing; if it does I have to come back. I don't have anyone to care for me. I don't know where my car is. You say Jarod doesn't take life, but I could still die. I could stop breathing, develop an infection-"

"You're not going to die," Parker fairly screamed, exasperated.

"He's not done yet. He's going to come back and finish me."

Parker's face twisted in confusion. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"He promised he would. You- Parker, you're the only person who can protect me from him."

"Fine," Parker shouted, infuriated. "You can stay with me."

"Knew I could count on you, Sis."

"Don't ever call me that," Parker snarled.

"Fine, fine. You won't regret this," vowed Lyle, and observed Parker's scowl.

"I already regret it," hissed Parker, acutely cognizant that Jarod would view the babysitting stint, regardless of how temporary, as a robust Parker sibling alliance, that placating Lyle would invite the Pretender's continued ire and interference in her life.

I might as well send Frankenrat an invitation now.

Jarod, unperturbed by the absence of Parker's hastily composed missive cordially inviting him to harass her, predictably materialized in Parker's bedroom precisely at midnight.

"Hello, Jarod," Parker drawled glacially, dropping her fingers from blouse buttons grudgingly and silently. The disgust in her eyes, however, was damn near deafening; she had no intention of pretending that she hadn't been mere seconds from shedding her office attire and climbing into bed naked or that Jarod's presence in her home wasn't an imposition. "Or do you prefer to be addressed as Satan now?"

"I'd prefer to hear the truth," answered Jarod irritably, "but you Parkers seem to have some difficulty with honesty."

"And your solution is to beat it out of us?"

"One of you knows something. If Lyle isn't lying," Jarod explained softly in a voice that was equal measures deceptive tranquility and profound menace, "you are."

"And what? You put him in the hospital and now you're here to do the same to me?"

"Oh, no," Jarod sang darkly, advancing. Unabashed and with a conspiratorial wink he confessed, "I'm not exactly enthusiastic about pesky law enforcement involvement either."

Jarod observed Parker's face intently, anticipating her eyes widening in comprehension, perhaps a fleeting expression of perturbation.

Parker hastily and accurately apprehended the potential magnitude of Jarod's disclosure, whether conveyed deliberately or by mistake; she, however, thoroughly concealed her tumult from him. Parker refused to contemplate the extent of Jarod's voyeurism, rejected distractions. 

"Or," continued Jarod abruptly, "hospitals. Pain, after all, is pain regardless of severity. I'm quite capable of tidily, immaculately even, inflicting injury," he added, elevating a single eyebrow. "Obvious physical trauma and evidence can be easily avoided."

"You wanted to make a mess of Lyle," Parker accused tartly.

"Of course not," Jarod argued, wounded. "I wanted the truth, and I intend to have it. Don't worry: if you tell me where Sydney is nothing will happen to you."

"Do I look worried to you?"

"No, you don't look worried. Yet. You do, however, look exhausted, unarmed, smaller than me. Now," he continued gently, "I know what you're thinking."

"Doubtful," injected Parker, smugly.

"You're thinking that you've taken down men twice my size. I'm aware that you have, and aware, too, that those men all have the combined intelligence of a rock. They don't know you like I do."

"Make no mistake, Jarod, you know only what I want you to know, and that's all you've ever known, or will ever know, about me."

"I know you're not retreating, and I believe that's a wise decision."

"I don't run," returned Parker, fiercely, her voice low, tight.

"No, because you don't want this to escalate."

"I'm not afraid of you, Jarod," laughed Parker, "or of an escalation."

"Either you're lying or you're not as intelligent as I once believed you were."

"Mm brilliant deduction, Sherlock. I'm not as intelligent as you. No one is. Did that slip your mind while you were breaking faces and cases wide open?"

"Clever," lauded Jarod, addressing Parker by her name, the one she'd whispered to him when they children. "You want me to believe that you're not going to fight," Jarod said, and immediately shifted his weight to the left to avoid Parker's kneeand subsequent wounded testiclesand, simultaneously, grasped her wrists, anticipating each move before she made it. Jarod believed, erroneously, that Parker's weapon of opportunity was a vase, but only because he was unaware of the letter opener concealed beneath a book, "but I know you much too well to ever believe that."

"Let go of me," Parker ordered.

"That's not how this works," cooed Jarod.

"This isn't a line that you want to cross," cautioned Parker.

"No, it isn't," Jarod promptly agreed. "Tell me the truth, and I won't have to cross any line."

"Have to," repeated Parker with some incredulity, twisting her wrists in his grasp, attempting, again, with similarly futile results, to thrust her knee into his groin. "The way you had to fracture Lyle's face and glue a phone to his ear?"

"My point seemed rather obvious," Jarod explained. "He wasn't listening to me, and now you aren't listening to me."

"No, you aren't listening," Parker shouted. "Had you listened you wouldn't have deemed it necessary to terrorize Lyle, and you wouldn't be here now attempting to intimidate me."

"One of you has to be lying."

Parker laughed. "Has to? So, you're going to continue this endless loop of threats and violence, and return to Lyle if I don't tell you what you want to hear, alternate depositing my sadistic sibling and I at an emergency room until one of us dies? This is a you problem, Jarod."

"Hmm now you look worried," Jarod announced triumphantly.

"Thanks for finally noticing, mad genius. I am worried--- about Sydney. I've sorta gotten used to having the old guy around, and right now no one else is looking for him except Broots and me. So go ahead and do what you've gotta do, Jarod," she added with a shrug of indifference, "but do it quickly, because time is something Sydney probably doesn't have. And then leave, and don't come back."

Jarod's face crumpled, his hands dropped at his sides. "Oh, God," he cried. "If you don't know where Sydney is-"

"No," interrupted Parker, hotly, shoving Jarod with both hands. "No, no, no!" Parker screamed at Jarod. Hastily, and with an expression of horror, Parker withdrew her palms from Jarod's chest, and clumsily recoiled, stumbled away from him.

She murmured an obscenity, drew a breath, thrust a finger at him, commanded indignantly, "You keep your shit together or-"

Parker frowned, yelped when Jarod dropped leadenly to the floor with an agonized grunt-- revealing a third party, gleefully brandishing an ebony fire iron.

"I got him," Lyle cheered. "Yes. Ooh," he groaned in pain. "I think I opened a stitch."

"What part of bed rest don't you understand, Lyle?" Parker hissed, grasping her temples in evident exasperation and hastily kneeling at Jarod's side. "Brilliant. He's bleeding."

"Consider it appropriate comeuppance," answered Lyle simply. "He- he threatened you, had his hands on you. Someone has to hold Jarod accountable, Sis."

"Couldn't you have done that after we found Sydney and anywhere except my home?"

Lyle shrugged, murmured indifferently, "I'll get the handcuffs."


"Lovely," Parker groused, "now I have to babysit two sociopaths."

 


Chapter 9 by Mirage




"Who is Greta? Doctor? Tell me who Jean and Greta are? Also, who is Jarod? Is that Jarod with an e or o? O seems rather archaic. Answer me, Doctor Mikhail. Are these people colleagues of yours? If I'm going to successfully treat you, Doctor, it's important that my notes are accurate. As a physician I have a responsibility to record accurate patient history, a practice you consistently refused to adopt primarily because your patients were all given new identities, because, of course, you abducted them from their parents, because you, Jacob Mikhail, are a despicable human being."

 

Although he no longer comprehended the fellow's reasons for calling him Jacob, his brother's name, Sydney never doubted his ability to communicate verbally, promptly answer, in detail, each question. His mother was Greta. Jean was his father.

 

Jarod certainly wasn't a colleague.

 

Sydney, in fact, provided absolutely no answer; typically astute eyes remained tightly closed, an insightful mind was unconscious of three bloody steel blades in their brass casing, an overturned bleeding bowl, a fleam stick.

 

In equal measures Sydney would have have empathically denied, and been appalled by, the quavering ribbons of pink saliva suspended from his chin, poised to fall, pool onto the dirt floor.

 

The psychiatrist, however, would have argued that his eyes remained open; after all, he fiercely longed to avert them from the revolving, and rather oppressive shafts of crimson that assaulted his brain.

 

He wanted to close eyes and mind, escape the fetor and hunger. He wanted savor the comfort of an Édith Piaf melody, run into the open arms of his mother.

 

He was incapable of summoning sweet memories, was denied refuge. Quietly, Sydney wept.

 

"What else are you saying there," asked Sydney's captor. "Are you ---praying? Hmm? That certainly isn't English. Is that German? It's a shame that our translator is on maternity leave. The entire staff is rather incompetent here, truth be known. Pardon? Are you attempting to communicate with me? Oh, my, this is an exceedingly wearisome case. I don't know what you're trying to communicate to me."

 

Nor did Sydney.

 

In fact, Jarod's handler wasn't aware of his mouth moving, contrite, plaintive cries departing dry, blood-stained lips.

 "C'est ma faute. Oui, c'est ma faute. C'est ma faute, c'est ma faute, c'est ma faute. Je vous prie de pardonnez-moi, je vous en prie. Je sais que tout est de ma faute. Je ne voulais pas te blesser. S’il te plaît, pardonne-moi.  Je vous prie de pardonnez-moi, je vous en prie.

Je t'en supplie.  Pardonne-moi.  Plaît. Je suis désolé, chers enfants, pardonne-moi. Je vous prie de pardonnez-moi, je vous en prie. Je t'en supplie. C'est ma faute. Dieu, pardonne-moi. Dieu, pardonne-moi mes péchés. Mon Dieu, pardonne-moi. Dieu, aie pitié de moi."

 

"Ah, well, perhaps I can assist you, Doctor, in opening yourself up to me," the younger man said, filling two syringes. "When you and Raines allied to curry favor with the Central Intelligence Agency, contend with thousands of other mad scientists, and be recognized at last and recruited to head clandestine projects such as MK-Ultra and Bluebird, William Raines began secretly visiting my chamber-- with syringes.

In one arm he'd inject an amphetamine and in the other a barbiturate. Now, now, don't fret. I wouldn't dare coerce another living creature to suffer as I did. I fully aim to do absolutely no harm. Ah, yes, indeed," the fellow continued, lowering the needle and penetrating Sydney's flesh, "a little diamorphine and a lot of lysergic acid diethylamide will, I'm certain, prove quite illuminating."


 
Chapter 10 by Mirage

 

 

 

Indistinct murmurs and a brutal headache accompanied Jarod's alarming return to consciousness. He recalled the surprise blow to his head, and assumed Broots was the culprit.

He, however, possessed no immediate explanation for the murmurs---- until his eyes focused on the unarmed figure in a chair, her lean body curled around a book, an empty tumbler upside down in her lap, blue eyes closed.

Miss Parker, an ordinarily consummate professional, had fallen asleep on the job.

Jarod's brow creased in concern. He believed it was anomalous, thoroughly unlike Parker to be incautious, particularly after decades of vigilance, erecting and carefully maintaining boundaries, fortifying defenses.

Logic prompted him to remain silent; instinct, however, compelled him to rouse her. Sam and Lyle were, no doubt, en route to return him to the Centre; the men would find Parker disheveled, vulnerable, looking much too small.

Parker jerked awake before Jarod could arrive at a concrete decision. Seizing the mobile that presently served as a book marker, she quietly swore and frantically dialed. "Sam," she gasped, breathlessly, "anything on Sydney yet?"

Jarod observed her head lower in disappointment. "Damn it," Parker hissed, tremulously. "No, keep looking," she demanded hotly. "Then I suggest you enlist fresh eyes. Yes, more sweepers," she shouted, and swiped the device's face.

"That isn't nearly as gratifying as slamming down a telephone handset, is it?" Jarod asked.

"Son of a," Parker exclaimed, and, then, just as suddenly, fell silent. Her surprise transitioned to rage, and, then, attempts to conceal evident, and, undeniable surprise. "I didn't ask for your opinion."

"You didn't seriously forget I was here just now, did you?"  

"Your snoring made that impossible," answered Parker, irritably.

"You did, didn't you?" Jarod asked with increasing concern.

"Not now, Jarod," Parker cautioned brusquely, pouring herself a scotch.

Jarod whispered her name, said gently, "If returning me to the Centre is causing you this much distress perhaps-"

"I knew I was forgetting something," interrupted Parker tersely, lowering her glass. "A muzzle," she added softly.

"I'm sorry," Jarod said. "It isn't my intention to exacerbate the evident stress you're feeling right now. You're poised at a crossroad, on the threshold of a new era in your career. You're finally going to defy your mother to please the corporation responsible for her murder. She'll forgive you for that, and, as you are probably already aware I will escape again. This drinking, on the other hand-"

"Shut up, Jarod."

"Your work's been sloppy," Jarod asserted, sharply. "You've been deploying sweepers rather than personally investigating potential Pretender sightings. I know that you were severely reprimanded for disobeying Raines' direct orders. You've been arriving late and leaving early for months, and--- ignoring me."

"Unsuccessfully," Parker spat.

"And now you're drinking heavily and falling asleep while waiting for transport. Do you want them to kill you?"

"What I want, Jarod, is to find Sydney. And silence."

"It's no coincidence that both Raines and Sydney are missing."

"I don't care that Raines is missing."

"You should," Jarod argued, fiercely. "He and Sydney aren't the only Centre employees who have inexplicably disappeared, and these disappearances, Miss Parker, aren't new. Not only did Raines' favorite sweeper, Willie, and two of Sydney's assistants mysteriously vanish, three of Raines' colleagues have been reported missing over the years- men that both Sydney and Raines worked with."

"Willie resigned," Parker corrected, sternly, "years ago."

"Hmm, yes," hummed Jarod dismissively, "I've read his personnel record in its entirety, however, I wanted the truth so I made my own inquiries into Willie's abrupt resignation."

Parker swung her surprised gaze at Jarod.

"You're displeased," stammered Jarod, softly.

"No," rebutted Parker hastily, adding conversationally, "I'm curious to know just what the hell relevance a decade-old resignation has on Sydney's disappearance."

"Willie's family hasn't seen him since the weeks prior to the date of the alleged resignation. He wasn't at his mother's funeral and his family wants to know why-- why he hasn't so much as telephoned in eleven years. My guess is he didn't leave the Centre, Miss Parker, but then," Jarod added smugly, "no one ever does- not alive anyway. He was no doubt murdered, and the murderer, someone employed by the Centre, tried to cover up the death with a bogus resignation that no one, aside from me, has dared to question. You, too, could be in danger."

"Say it ain't so," repeated Parker, sardonically. "I can't remember a time when I wasn't."

Jarod nodded slowly, said, softly, "This isn't the life I wanted for you."

"Right," drawled Parker, doubtfully. "If that's true you have a helluva way of showing it."

"If?"

"You insist I stay, play this game, feed you information. You refuse to let me go. Why can't you just let me go?"

Jarod straightened in the chair, drew a sharp breath. "Untie me," Jarod demanded. "Briefly," he added swiftly. "You can restrain me again when I've made you coffee. Afterwards, when you're reasonable, we'll find Sydney."

Parker laughed. "I heard about your stint in stand-up comedy, but I didn't believe you were actually funny."

"You need to sober up and listen to me," Jarod said, gravely. "Only one person would disappear Sydney, Raines, and Willie. It wouldn't be the first time Lyle has acted independently."

"Wait," Lyle said, stepping into the room, interrupting Parker's rebuttal. "What am I being accused of now? Ah, the look on your face, Jarod. I wish I were live streaming this. My TikTok would be lit. I'm sure you already have a VPN capable of accessing-"

"Lyle," interrupted Jarod with a throaty snarl. "What are you doing here? And," he added, hotly, addressing Parker, "What is he saying?"

"I was invited-- unlike you," taunted Lyle.

"He was-- what? ighathad?" Jarod struggled to repeat Lyle, comprehend. "Invited?" Jarod asked Parker.

"Impressive, Jarod," Parker said. "With your intelligence and knack for languages I just knew you'd master the dialect quickly."

"He was invited? Tell me he isn't serious, Miss Parker."

"If you hadn't beaten him nearly to death he wouldn't be here--- with gauze stuffed in his mouth."

"He's no where near death," Jarod said. "But perhaps he deserves to be; after all, he killed Willie, and now Sydney and Raines are missing."

Lyle frowned at Jarod's accusation, and softly asked Parker, "You didn't tell him?"

Parker expelled a sharp breath, glowered at her brother.

Jarod swung his curious gaze at Parker, asked pointedly, "Didn't tell me what?"

Parker rose abruptly, and with a snort of frustration said, "I'm not doing this."

"No, no," Jarod demanded, impatiently. "Back up. What didn't you tell me?"

"He's going to eventually find out anyway," Lyle struggled to say clearly.

"Lyle's right," Jarod said. "For once. Excuse us for a moment hmm," Jarod addressed Lyle, and then returned his gaze to Parker, and prompted sternly, "I'm listening."

Parker ground her teeth, laughed mirthlessly.

"What?" Jarod asked in evident concern. "What is it?"

"Bobby has an alibi; he didn't kill Willie."

"An alibi doesn't equate to innocence."

"No, but if you consider both the alibi and the timing of Willie's departure from the Centre you'll reach a entirely different conclusion, and you might even stumble upon the reason I wasn't waiting for you, as I'd promised, at the safe house on the afternoon of our--- appointment."

"Appointment," Jarod repeated with a bitter snort, ultimately opting not to debate the truth with Parker. "I don't under-"

"Yes," Parker interrupted aggressively, "Jarod, you do."

Jarod stared uncomprehendingly at her for a moment, and then shook his head. "You," Jarod whispered.

"The one and only," cooed Parker, blithely.

"That you're aware of," Jarod quipped, bitterly. "What happened?"

"He was in my rear-view when I left the safe house that morning- that last morning."

"Raines ordered Willie to follow you?"

"Raines never had any faith that I'd provide him with anything useful-- and particularly in regards to you, and I would have never made such an amateurish error. Willie was tailing you without Raines' knowledge. He documented the weekend you and I spent together," Parker explained. "Photographs, recordings. His intention was to approach Raines, propose a quid pro quo: evidence of my disloyalty and the address of your lair, our heads on platters-- in exchange for his freedom."

"You intercepted him."

Parker scoffed, repeatedly dully, "Intercepted? That's the most innocuous euphemism for murdering a man in cold blood I've ever heard uttered."

"Raines would have never given him his freedom. He would have killed Willie."

"Mm, that makes two of us."

"Your actions were justified. You saved your life and mine."

"I murdered a desperate, frightened man who wanted to care for his aging mother. He wanted out. That's all he wanted."

"You're remorseful. That's-"

"Am I?"

"Yes," Jarod answered softly, "Yes, you clearly are, because you know, more than anyone, what it feels like to want out, and-- because you're not a murderer. You're not like them. Willie put you in an impossible situation; he coerced you to kill him. Why didn't you ask me for help?"

"I had help."


Jarod lifted his gaze to the ceiling, groaned. "I see. You're helping Lyle because he helped you. Please, don't make the mistake of believing you can trust him. Your mother made that mistake. Remember?"

Parker's eyebrows arched steeply above disbelieving eyes.

"Get something straight, Jarod: I don't trust anyone."

"Is that why you asked Lyle for help?"

"I didn't ask him for help. He found me in the south wing garage-- struggling to lift a corpse into a Centre transport van. He saw the photos scattered around me. He had every opportunity to approach Raines and pitch his own deal. Instead-"

"You can't trust him," Jarod interrupted hotly. "Hell, he's running the Centre now- or has that escaped your attention?"

"Lyle offered the Centre to me. I don't want it. I've never wanted it. He doesn't either."

"You're leaving," Jarod said with a snort of disbelief. "Aren't you? And I'm your final assignment. Of course," Jarod snarled. "Your final act before fully embracing your freedom is to strip me of mine. You must feel," he added sardonically, "so accomplished."

"Sis," Lyle said with an abrupt laugh, despising the slurred ths that departed his mouth when he spoke, "what are we going to do with him?"

"Yes, Sis," Jarod taunted, "what are you going to do with me?"

"We can't kill him," mused Lyle.

Jarod eyes widened in surprise. "You can't?" asked Jarod, intrigued. "You're an awfully prolific murderer, Bobby Bowman, and you've killed me before. I'm sure you're capable of doing it again."

"I didn't kill you. In fact, Jarod, no one's goal that day was to kill you, and I tried to tell Raines that it was illogical and irresponsible to test his drug on the Centre's most valuable asset. It could've cost the Centre trillions of dollars in contracts not to mention the loss of an  irreplaceable asset."

"I'm so happy to hear that the Centre's financial health was your primary motivation for not wanting me dead."

"In retrospect," Lyle continued, "I had no idea that my dire warnings would inspire Raines to clone you."

"And my sister? Why did you try to kill Emily?"

"Emily was in the wrong place at the wrong time. My sister here had the luck of using a pillow to fake-murder Jacob. It was all rather mess free and easy to pull off. I had two options, Jarod: toss Emily out of a window and hope the cloth awning below would cushion the impact or fire a bullet into her brain; I decided that only one of those was survivable. Would you have preferred the latter?"

"Don't say her name, and don't pretend you aren't a murderer," Jarod snarled.

"That would be difficult, considering I murdered my best friend prior to graduating high school. I assure you, Jarod," Lyle added brusquely, "you're the only pretender in this room."

"Tell him why, Lyle," insisted Parker.

"It doesn't matter why." Lyle said.

"Wait," Jarod demanded. Deep creases marred his brow, revealed perturbation. "What just happened?" Jarod asked. "What am I missing here?"

"Nothing, Jarod," Parker asserted. "You know damn well that Raines abducted Lyle seconds after he was born and placed him with insane people. He was abducted and raised by people who didn't care about him, and exploited the same way you were. What you probably don't know is Raines promised Lyle protection and freedom if he proved he was capable of obeying his orders. The murder and frame job was Raines' idea."

"Wait a minute. Are you're comparing me to Lyle? Is that what this is? You and I are like him because we were forced to make hard choices? Coerced to kill? I'm nothing like him."

"No, of course not. The morally superior genius was abducted and falsely imprisoned when he was a child, but miraculously didn't turn out like Lyle--- or Kyle or Ethan, who were also, by the way, forced to make hard choices."

"It's no miracle at all," Jarod said. "I had Sydney," he explained, hotly, "Kyle didn't. Neither did Ethan. Raines trained my brother, both of my brothers, to be his personal assassins. It's not their fault."

"But it's Lyle's fault? Just who the hell, Genius, do you think trained Lyle? Mm?" Parker asked. "Raines trained both of my brothers, too-- or did that," Parker asked, lowering her voice and tossing his words back at him, "escape your attention? The truth doesn't change simply because Lyle is my brother and not yours, and because you hate him. Tell him, Bobby."

"It's not important, Sis."

"Fine," Parker hissed, swiveling in four inch Ferragamo pumps, and walking angrily to the receiving table where she retrieved a DSA.

"What is that?" Jarod asked when she reentered the room.

"The leverage Raines has on Bobby."

"Had? Did you kill him, too?"

"Not yet," Parker answered with unflinching resolve, her remorse suddenly and strangely absent, and supplanted by insouciance. "I didn't believe it. Hell, I still doubt my own eyes, even when I take into consideration that none of his class mates said anything to indicate he'd commit murder. They seemed genuinely saddened by the loss."

"Pardon," Lyle said. "You spoke to my class mates?"

Parker and Jarod shared a protracted look. "Long story," Parker answered Lyle succinctly, and addressed Jarod once more, "Bobby refused to obey Raines, and Raines, as you can imagine, was enraged. He ordered sweepers to pose as teachers, cops, and neighbors, and, armed with lies, visit Bobby's foster parents and lodge false complaints about Bobby. Raines knew the old man would punish Bobby. He did. And he nearly killed him."

"I'm not gonna lie," Lyle interrupted. "After a couple of months of being chained up in that shed, stripped, starved, and beaten with barbed wire and 2x4s I would have massacred the entire town if Raines had said it was my only way out. I didn't know then that there was no out."

"Let me guess," Jarod said, addressing Lyle, "once you were out, there was one more job, and then another, and by then you were in too deep to even see an exit?"

"I don't want your pity." groused Lyle.

"That's good," Jarod retorted brusquely, "because you're not going to get it." He returned his gaze to Parker "Where did you find the DSA?"

"Hidden beneath the false bottom of a file cabinet-- inside Sydney's office."

"Are you suggesting-"

"No," interrupted Parker, sharply.

"No one's suggesting anything, Jarod," Lyle said. "It's pointless to jump to conclusions-- the way you've been doing. What we should be doing is trying to find Sydney. Don't you agree?"

"I'm still not convinced you haven't hurt him."

"You don't have to be convinced," Lyle said. "You're a genius, aren't you? You can suspect me while you help my sister find the old guy, can't you?"

"Why do you want me to help her? Why do you care about Sydney?"

 

"Who said I care about Sydney? I care about me. I care about my face. Tell you what," Lyle said, "We'll untie you if you leave and promise not to come back."

"I won't be back-- unless I discover that youeither of youlied to me."

"Hmm," Lyle hummed, shifting his eyes skyward, and tilting his head left and right as if struggling to make a decision. "That works for us," he said, at last. "Are you going to untie him now?" Lyle asked Parker.

"Do it," Parker demanded. Withdrawing from the room, Parker slid her gaze to Jarod, and bid him an earnest farewell: "Break into my house again and I'll kill you."

Lyle grinned mischievously, but, then, with a double take of horror, glimpsed Jarod's satisfied smile, and immediately sobered, frowned.

"You find it funny that she threatened to kill me?" Jarod asked, bemused.

Infuriated, Lyle shook his head, and, as promised, freed Jarod.

Parker's brother grieved the version of Jarod that categorically believed Parker's threats, the Jarod who was frightened of her, and, therefore, didn't grin along with him when Parker issued aforementioned threats.

"You do," insisted Jarod, standing, and, with a grimace of discomfort, stretching.

"Not anymore," Lyle answered, testily.

 

Chapter 11 by Mirage





The human body is an absolute marvel of biological engineering; its control center, however, a more superior entity, had always profoundly fascinated Sydney.

The mind, Sydney had repeated on innumerable occasions, was capable of almost anything to protect its host. The body wasn't quite as vigorous, impregnable; Sydney's certainly wasn't. The psychiatrist was dehydrated, defenseless, non-ambulatory, entirely incapable of rising, exiting his captor's pitiable domicile.

Sydney's mind suffered no such encumbrances. Decades earlier, he'd discovered and seized upon the mind's resourcefulness, and had successfully escaped the confines of his body and the hellish death camps. Sydney fled to the safety of his mother's arms while his small body, imprisoned and imperiled, endured pain, and while his mother and father both lay dead in mass graves.

Determined to die anywhere else, Sydney, once again, stepped outside of himself and into his childhood home.

Fresh bread filled Sydney's nostrils, replacing the putrid stench of feces and decaying flesh. His mother embraced him, his father and brother laughed exuberantly. Sydney remained only conscious enough of his body to know it was hundreds of miles away, and that it was dying.

The monotonous voice threatened to breach Sydney's delicate refuge.

"All other treatments have proved futile," Sydney's captor announced somberly, fondling a rusted, antiquated instrument that certainly would have filled Sydney with terror had he been cognizant. "You," the man continued didactically, addressing Sydney's inert body, "are an out of control, raging psychopath, Doctor Jacob Mikhail. This procedure, commonly referred to today as psychosurgery, involves cautious, precise techniques, and will, I believe, provide restoration; however, I prefer the hell for leather, negligent techniques used, Doctor, when the procedure was used on me, when it was called, simply, transorbital lobotomy.

How rather strange that you believed damaging my brain, reducing me to a mere inutile house plant, something deposited near a window and watered daily, would alleviate my emotional anguish.

Evidently, Doctor Jacob, you're more insane than I ever was. Perhaps this procedure will accomplish for you what you believed it would for me. Oddly, you failed in your endeavors, evidently, and you haven't issued an apology or acknowledged your failure. Your continued silence indicates you're not remorseful.

I won't be either. Before I begin be advised that if you're compelled, at any moment, to shriek it's not necessary to restrain yourself.

No one will hear you.

No one will save you from this."


 


Sydney's captor wasn't wrong.

Jarod wasn't going to kick the door down in the fabled and widely celebrated eleventh hour and interrupt Sydney's abductor precisely one second before Sydney's brain was penetrated.

Nor would Parker be blasting the door off its hinges in an exhausted, and, oftentimes, implausible nick-of-time crusade, and shooting the rusty instrument from the man's hand just before its sharp point disappeared beneath Sydney's eyelid.

There was no doubt, however, that Parker longed to shoot at Sydney's abductor, and, in fact, fully intended to do exactly that, and kill him, when Sydney was home again, and safe, because Sydney, like Broots, was one of her people.

Parker believed Broots and Sydney both were irritating and overbearing, and often tiresome; they exchanged ridiculous dad jokes, they laughed at ridiculous dad jokes, and drove her absolutely mad, particularly when they got themselves abducted I mean-- Jesus! Is Sydney trying to drive me completely fucking batshit crazy? but they were, indeed, her people, and no one fucked with Parker's people.

Plotting revenge soothed and centered her.

Parker considered anger, too, a balm, a mechanism for survival, resolution, restoration of control. Anger was straightforward and unchanging in its nature, and provided her a clear path with established protocols, from the initial stirrings that accompanied witnessing a wrong, or, being wronged, to discharging her weapon and corpse disposal.

Fear is an entirely different beast, a boundless aperture; she was vigilant, careful not to tumble. She feared losing herself in fear, feared the inability to find her way back from the abyss.

She tightened her grasp on anger, clung with the desperation typically exhibited by someone who'd had already slipped over the precipice. When the mobile vibrated in her damp palm she answered too eagerly in a voice that sounded entirely foreign to its owner, and excruciatingly familiar to the caller.

"Broots," Parker murmured into her mobile, the despondent monotony indicating a complete absence of optimism, "tell me you've found him." The answering silence was unbearable, presaged disaster. Impatiently, Parker added in a voice both tense and tenuous, "Broots, say something."

"We'll find Sydney," Jarod vowed softly, tendering a promise he wasn't certain he could honor, and particularly when he considered all that he had, and had not, discovered in the previous four hours.

Parker immediately recognized the caller, the intimation of remorse and concern, the intimacy, an intimacy and tenderness in Jarod's voice that, unbeknownst to Parker, was, and had always been, reserved exclusively for her- even if meted out in small doses.

Jarod heard Parker's breath of disappointment and tried not to take it personally. "Are you alone?"

"For all intents and purposes," Parker answered quietly. "The painkillers finally caught up with Lyle."

"How is Nicholas holding up," Jarod asked, solicitously. "Did you get him all settled in at Sydney's?"

"How the hell did you know that?"

"I guessed," answered Jarod, humbly. "You and Sydney are close," he explained. "In fact, I have it on awfully good authority that Sydney considers you his daughter. It's entirely conceivable that a father would give his daughter the key to his home, and that you'd offer the key to Nicholas, because you knew he'd want to stay there, and because you love Sydney. I," Jarod added contritely, "I was wrong, afraid, angry, impulsive, and I'm sorry for-"

"I don't care," Parker interrupted wearily. "I just want to find Sydney."

"That's why I called. I have an update regarding the blood you retrieved, and Raines' disappearance, and I thought we could arrange a meeting, perhaps tomorrow morning or-"

"If you have information about Sydney," interrupted Parker, fiercely, "I want to hear it now."

Three urgent raps at the door prompted Parker to hastily rise, and amend, "I'll call you back." 

"Broots," Parker called, reaching for the door and pulling it open, "did you-" She fell silent, averted her eyes from Jarod's sympathetic expression, and, simultaneously, reached instinctively for the nine millimeter at her waist- a symbolic measure considering Parker had left her weapon on the console table. Jarod was, nevertheless, stung.

Wordlessly, Parker pushed the door completely open and swiveled on four inch pumps.

"Does that mean I can come in?" Jarod asked.

"You're asking?" Parker indignantly counterquestioned. "My God," she hissed, scooping a bottle of scotch from the drinks tray and pouring herself two fingers. "I wasn't even aware you knew how to knock."

"I suppose," Jarod said softly, entering Parker's home and quietly closing the door, "that I'm evolving."

"Why are you here?"

"You indicated you didn't want to wait until morning. If I was mistaken I'll go. Were you," Jarod asked, guardedly, surveying the room, "busy?"

"I'm expecting a call from Broots."

"Regarding the blood and latents?"

"Sydney could be dying so if you could fast-forward to the summation, Jarod, I'd appreciate it."

"The blood is Sydney's, just as you suspected. Unfortunately, none of the latent prints were useful and none of the samples collected in adjacent homes were helpful."

"Wow," Parker exclaimed bitterly, lifting the tumbler to her lips and quickly swallowing its contents, "you could have saved us both some time by simply telling me that we are fucked when you called."

Parker returned the empty glass with a sharp thud, punctuating her sullen analysis, and startling Jarod.

After some swift contemplation, The Pretender said, "You broke into neighboring homes and sprayed luminol?"

"I've never trusted anyone that intentionally impales their lawns with pink flamingos. And have you seen their mailboxes," Parker added disdainfully. "Sweaters on mailboxes, Jarod. You can't tell me that isn't insane." And Jarod couldn't, really, if he was being honest. "They are hiding something. All of them. I can feel it," Parker hissed, curling fingers into fists, and Jarod knew then that Broots hadn't been exaggerating.

Broots had stammered lamentations and issued bizarre threats to Jarod in a rather endearing demonstration of solidarity with Parker. At the conclusion of Broots' frenzied upbraiding Jarod had only an abstract understanding of the relationship between his huntress and an alleged rabbit hole, and enormous concern regarding Broots' caffeine intake.

Jarod easily agreed with Broots that Parker's behavior was, indeed, irrational, and had, in fact, been for a number of decades; it was no recent development. Jarod was thoroughly puzzled, and suspected that Broots' memories had been expunged down in the Centre's renewal wing.

"Do you mind if I sit?" Jarod asked.

"When did you decide to care if I mind? You break in, threaten-" Parker fell silent with alarming abruptness. The rage dissolved with the same suddenness it had erupted from her. "Jarod," she whispered tremulously, "what are we going to do?"

"There's nothing else you can do right now," Jarod answer softly, "except rest."

"Rest," Parker repeated in evident disgust. "Sydney is possibly dying, and boy wonder's solution is to rest. Are you stupid?"

"Occasionally, yes," Jarod answered, calmly, and seated himself in the nearest chair. "Look, I know you're frightened, but-"

"You," Parker shouted in renewed rage, thrusting a finger in Jarod's direction, "don't know anything."

"I know Raines is gone, and I don't believe he's coming back, and I'm afraid that whatever happened to him is going to happen to Sydney."

"You arrived at that conclusion-- how?"

"Raines' protracted absence pinged the radar. He's made no withdrawals or deposits, hasn't paid his bills in months. Broots' random acts theory held when only Sydney was missing, but now I believe it's time to consider-"

"Someone from the Centre is involved," Parker interrupted impatiently, completing Jarod's sentence. She dropped her arms at her sides, returned to the sofa. "What now?"

"The police have a few leads, and Broots tells me that Lyle's file wasn't the only one hidden in Sydney's office. I'm going to work that angle, dive deeper into Raines' files and the Centre's mainframe, give you and your team some time to recharge."

Parker's lips parted in incredulity. "We don't need a recharge, Jarod," Parker asserted. "Collaborate with Broots."

"Broots briefed me an hour ago while I was towing his car from the ditch that he crashed into when he fell asleep behind the wheel."

Parker paled, stammered hesitantly, "Is-- Broots all right?"

"Shaken up. This time," Jarod added sternly. "I assessed him, drove him home. Broots was lucky. Next time he might not be."

"There won't be a next time," Parker vowed, "I guarantee it."

"Good luck with that," Jarod said, dully. "Broots agreed to rest only after I threatened him with intravenous sedation. I'll let you in on a little secret," he continued with a conspiratorial smile, "Broots is more afraid for Sydney's safety than he is of you. We're all afraid for Sydney," Jarod added with some delicacy, taking care not to resurrect Parker's rage.

"You're inviting trouble by hacking into the Centre," Parker argued belatedly. "I can access all of Raines' physical and network files, and the mainframe. "I'm inside the Centre."

"A breach from inside the Centre would raise suspicion, potentially endanger you and Broots," Jarod explained gently. "A breach from other corners, from me, would be another day at the Centre."

"I am not going to do nothing, Jarod," Parker snarled.

"No, of course not, and you won't be doing nothing," Jarod assured Parker, entreating rather than demanding. "You'll be waiting for either me or Sydney to contact you.

Sydney is going to need your A game," he added gently, and observed Parker's gesture of acknowledgement. Jarod answered Parker's tacit agreement with a satisfied nod and rose.

"If you discover anything," Parker said, promptly, "call me."

"I will," Jarod vowed, opening the door. Tapping the wood with a fingertip, he advised emphatically prior to closing the door behind him: "Lock this."

 


Chapter 12 by Mirage







Oblivion?

The handwritten question had been neatly printed by Sydney on the final page of a rather substantial Centre dossier compiled on Lyle, and was as insignificant to Jarod as the thousands of other words he'd read regarding Parker's twin sibling. Jarod was confident that there was nothing anyone could tell him about Lyle that he hadn't already discovered from personal experience.

Hours later, however, Jarod glimpsed Project Oblivion* in yet another Centre dossier, and suspected there was more to discover about his archrival after all.

The asterisk wasn't necessarily indicative of particularly troubling revelations; for its size the symbol was, inexplicably, menacing.

Easily bypassing the Centre's pitiable security features, Jarod dutifully and pragmatically pursued the asterisk when Oblivion dead-ended in Raines' encrypted network files. He was considering physically breaking into the vast, concrete-and-steel haystack to find the needle when, at last, he found the elusive needle in an archived system folder.

Jarod immediately saved the data to a portable hard drive, and, with four laptops and three printers spread atop a massive wall-to-wall counter began decrypting and converting files, printing documents, playing audio files, and scrutinizing the generated video thumbnails.

Rather than speed-read thousands of pages of documentation Jarod initiated keyword searches, and, simultaneously, listened to the audio files. He was fractionally disturbed by the inclusion of Miss Parker's name in the latter.

Disturbed.

Not surprised.

His decades-long crusade for truth often lured him onto meandering pathways that inevitably entwined and merged with Parker's; their lives intersected at the Centre.

The content of the audio files, spanning several decades, seemed benign initially. Raines spoke of the Centre's potential revenues for nearly ten minutes before segueing to annoying interferences, and deadly consequences.

The partially corrupted second file, distorted and truncated, revealed a distraught Mr. Parker arguing with Raines, arguing against cruelty. Irony of ironies.

alking--bout--my dau--ght-er--god--mmit.

act like h--father---distract--Jaro--Cent--profits--if you--immedia-ly--and--I---ill--soluti--handle-it-myself

Jarod frowned at the resoluteness and terror in Raine's voice. Jarod knew all too well the potential depths to which weak and terrified men sank; he wasn't eager to hear if, or how, Raines punished Parker's disobedience.

In fact, he felt compelled to conclude audio playback altogether. There appeared to be no apparent relation between the audio files and Project Oblivion, and, that, implausibly, both perplexed and relieved Jarod. He was genuinely grateful that Parker hadn't been involved in the project, and also mightily concerned for Sydney's life.

The document search, thus far, hadn't been particularly useful, many of the images were blurred, video files couldn't be viewed until the conversion process was complete, and it wasn't, and there were no other leads to follow.

Jarod ultimately continued his document search and allowed the audio files to play, uninterrupted; a more logical alternative simply didn't exist.


And Raines prattled on.


She knows too much to return to university- and to the outside. You'd be risking everything we've built here if you continue to allow her unfettered freedom.

She's out of control, Mr. Parker.

I've personally witnessed her disloyalty.

Something transpired inside Dover bank. I'm almost certain Jarod has established an alliance with your daughter. The training has failed once more, and will one day fail completely. What will you do then, Mr. Parker?

She displays unmitigated disdain for authority, specifically my authority, Mr. Parker.

Your daughter's implied threats on my life are untenable. Disloyalty won't be tolerated.

Miss Parker's attempt to rescue Jarod's clone is a clear indication of where her loyalties lie, Mr. Parker, and it sure as hell isn't with the Centre.


Jarod mentally filed the recordings under "Raines' Greatest Hits and Laments." Every song was the same, and hundreds of thousands of men like Raines sang it: "Women Frighten Me."

In fact, the only surprising element of the audio files revealed itself following a four minute block of silence when Mr. Parker quietly recited a series of alphanumericals and dates, and hastily murmured an apology.

Jarod reshuffled his thoughts, and, rather than waste a second deliberating returned to the Centre's archived analog system folder and keyed in the dates.

There were few conclusions remaining; of those, Jarod preferred the most palatable. He implored a god that he wasn't convinced existed that the asterisk hadn't misled him, that Mr. Parker had been apologizing for his role in Project Oblivion, and had planted information regarding the projectinformation that would help him find Sydneyin entirely unrelated recordings, specifically for him to find.

He suspected that I wanted to establish an alliance with her.
He knew I'd look here.
He wanted me to find Oblivion.
Why else would he have concealed dates and alphanumericals in audio files that pertain exclusively to Parker's life?

The question detonated in Jarod's mind; he wasn't going to like the answer.

Jarod's screen blackened, briefly, and then erupted into a multimedia hellscape beyond his command, one that more accurately and thoroughly chronicled Raines' depravity. Images self-extracted abruptly and violently in vertical accordion-style stacks, obscuring a media player that commenced, with no prompting on Jarod's part, the same old tune; no keyboard shortcut would silence it.

 

If you can't coerce her to stay you'll leave me no choice but to proceed with the procedure, and the Director agrees.

She has demonstrated loyalty to Jarod again, so perhaps those feelings you claimed were successfully extinguished have once again been resurrected.

The Triumvirate will be displeased to learn that when your daughter had the opportunity to apprehend Jarod in Carthis she instead chose to advance her existing relationship with him to one that is more physical in nature. She isn't in control anymore. Jarod is in control, has been in control for months if not years.

We should have lobotomized her before the procedure was deemed too barbaric by the Tower.


Jarod recoiled, his face twisted in confused horror.

Lobotomy?

The images presently assailing the laptop implausibly explicated and further confounded in equal measures.

Raines had obsessively documented his research and various therapies with photographs; Parker appeared in each of them.

Oh, my God, no.
No.
Jarod averted his eyes.
Squeezed them tightly closed.

Standard Centre training is hardly a spa day.
But, my god, this-

Supplementary video attachments inexplicably launched without Jarod's permission, and confirmed what Jarod had easily discerned from the images he'd glimpsed.

Mr. Parker had spared his daughter the hell of a lobotomy, and had, instead, frequently subjected her to countless other hellsall tidily, euphemistically classified as training, therapy.

Decades of aversion therapy.
Coercive persuasion.
Insulin shock therapy.
Experimental, and potentially lethal drug cocktails, many with possible long term effects.
Various types of torture.


They punished her for being human.
They punished her because of me.


They aren't the only ones who punished her.

The truth was jarring, incomprehensible, enraging. The accompanying nausea was sudden and fierce, and Jarod's reaction to it much too slow. Instinctively and belatedly Jarod covered his mouth with a hand and jerked the waste bin from the floor.

The violent exertions drove Jarod to his knees, where he remained until the contents of his stomachas well as implacable resentmentshad been purged.

Despite the crushing weight of guilt, Jarod pressed his palms to the hardwood floor and rose to his knees. "Oh, god," he groaned in renewed misery when he glimpsed the hundreds of freshly printed pages scattered around him.

His eyes riveted on a single signature.

Jacob?








"Oh, my god," Parker fairly shouted at the Centre investigative team's second in command, "you've got to be kidding me." She revolved blue eyes at the hastily stammered apology, rebutted angrily, "Apology not accepted. You CIT clowns wake me at three in the fucking morning to tell me Jarod has accessed mainframe and system files, and in the next breath stupidly refuse to divulge the details of that data to me, the person leading Jarod's pursuit team, pending authorization from Raines, who has been MIA for weeks. Enjoy explaining to the Triumvirate that Jarod evaded capture, again, because I didn't have clearance to access the data he stole."

Parker ended the conversation, and smiled shrewdly when the mobile immediately chirped.

"What," she hissed.

"CIT again, Miss Parker," a young woman said. 

"Name and code," Parker demanded. 

"Bisset, CMMDR01-T81062ZP_B. I apologize for Frank's apprehensiveness, Miss Parker; he's been sent home to contemplate his future with CIT." Apprehending Parker's urgency, the woman asked, eagerly, "Should I send a courier to your home immediately?"

"No time. Give me the bullet points," Parker demanded, and listened to Miss Bisset's crisp recitation.

 

ּּּּ•Pre-digital Archives
ּ•System files
ּ•Project Oblivion
ּ•Pּroject KLV
ּ•Unspecified data and media files

"Additionally, Miss Parker, our team studied the data both manually and electronically, and fed pertinent information into the algorithm that your Mr. Broots developed last year; unfortunately, the results were inconclusive in regards to movement predictions, and, furthermore, we could establish no reason for The Pretender's interest in those particular files. I want to note that this particular breach is entirely unrelated to the one that occurred last month. We're monitoring systems closely for vulnerabilities, constantly upgrading security software, and performing routine scans via global surveillance drones. I will personally notify you immediately should another security concern arise. I can email you the entirety of the data if you'd like, and, well, please pardon my boldness, but I agree with Mr. Broots' caveat that it was hasty and unwise for the men at the helm of the Centre to attempt to replace your personal knowledge of Jarod, and hands on experience with any algorithm."

Parker pushed a hand through her hair, closed her eyes. "Mm, if only they'd stuck with computers to begin w-" Parker fell silent with startling abruptness. Blue eyes opened, narrowed. "There was a breach last month?"

"That's correct. Contact information for Centre medical staff and on-call physicians in the analog personnel database was accessed. We issued a warning and, later, sent a memorandum to disregard that warning as we could establish no credible security risk to our medical staff. I cross-checked the information in the analog personnel database with the current digital database. I'm not even certain why archives from the analog years were retained."

"Pull up the archived database."

"Done," Miss Bisset said.

"I want the names and addresses."

"All of them?"

"Yes," answered Parker, irritably. "Now," she ordered, and listened intently to names and corresponding addresses, twice asking for confirmation. Several names and home addresses were mismatched. Jacob was oddly present and Sydney absent, and Sydney's property was incorrectly listed as Jacob's primary residence. Many of the physicians and psychiatrists had been dead two decades.

"This is strange, and possibly unrelated," Miss Bisset said, "but I can find no home address for Director Raines in our system."

"Is it possible to alter the databases?"

"With the appropriate clearance, absolutely. Let's see. Uh, yes, in August the Director's contact information was permanently removed from the system by the Director, and in September additional edits were performed-- uh, also by Director Raines or," Miss Bisset amended hastily, "someone using his credentials. Give me one second, Ma'am, and I'll attempt to retrieve any deletions."

Parker's brow creased. "Deletions?"

"That's correct. Retrieval is--- complete, and successful. Director Raines deleted Dr. Sydney Mikhail's name from the databases, and attempted several times to undo the deletion. He was locked out after failing to enter the correct authorization code for that keystroke action. My department would have been happy to unlock the databases for him. It's odd that he never rang us about this."

"There's not much about Raines that isn't odd," Parker rejoined coolly.

"The Director also deleted both of Dr. Jacob Mikhail's addresses from the personnel databases. One of those is the Dover Bed and Breakfast, the other a farmhouse in rural Blue Cove. The B & B was bulldozed fifteen years ago, because, apparently, the world needed another fast food establishment. The farmhouse address should be in your inbox now, and I can have a team member drive out there immediately to ascertain its status if you'd like."

"No, thank you, that won't be necessary."

"Very well. Is there anything else I can do for you, Miss Parker?"

"If there is I'll let you know. Good night," Parker said, brusquely, concluding the conversation, and fetching her fob.

Jarod was right.
This isn't random.
Raines knew this, whatever this is, was coming, and he tried to cover his ass. He dragged Sydney down with him.

I don't know the what.
Or the why.
But, by God, I know the where.


The farmhouse was a half hour's drive on a predawn morning when the only traffic was a pair of eighteen-wheelers.

Parker parked parallel to the property, lowered the car windows, and gazed drearily at four acres of poorly maintained grass and a shattered tree limb. The only indication that a structure had ever stood on the property were six crumbling chimneys dotting the land.

Parker curled her fingers into fists and shook her head slowly, dislodging unbidden tears of frustration and fear.

Surrendering to her emotions was, she knew, unprofessional and unproductive, irrational.

Weak.

I can't seriously be throwing a fucking early morning cry-fest in my carlike that's going to help!
I need to act quickly, find Sydney.
Now.


Parker wanted to do precisely that: drive, continue her search, do everything, anything, necessary to find Sydney, and she would have; the painful truth, however, struck a violent blow.
Parker didn't know how to find Sydney.
She didn't know where to begin, didn't know which direction to travel.
She refused to return home until she knew he was safe.
She felt much too unworthy to visit Sydney's home; she didn't feel strong enough to face Nicholas again without Sydney by her side. And by now Michelle's there, too.
She didn't want to return to the Centre and walk past Sydney's old office, and be reminded, yet again, that if he'd been there working, instead of alone in his home, he'd be safe.

This is my fault.
Mine.
Jarod has every right to accuse me, threaten me.
He should have done a helluva lot more than just threaten me.
He probably will.
I deserve whatever I have coming.

Parker was immobilized by crippling uncertainty.

The constant cache of infamous Parker strength was spent; ebony painted fingernails scraped the bottom, yielded emptiness.

She wept in earnest, wept for Sydney the way she had for Thomas and her mother, and wallowed in her own helplessness and the fragility of life, and the absolute fucking futility of life.

She was so lost in her own grief she almost didn't hear the discordant wails of another grief-stricken soul in the distance.

The cry more closely resembled an air raid siren than any sound typically attributed to animals and humans. Parker recognized the cry as a human one only because she'd heard it before, and rather frequently; it was an all too familiar sound inside the Centre.

With freshly shed tears still on her face, Parker withdrew the nine millimeter from its holster and stepped out of the car. Behind her, in the distance, something scurried into the brush, insects chirped. Ahead, amidst the chimneys, nothing moved.

As she advanced onto the property, the stench of decay reached her nostrils-- and only mere moments before the beating of insect wings, thousands of them, reached her ears.

A undulating blanket of flies concealed a body that was much too decayed to be the one she sought, the one she could still save. She followed a tell-tale trail of personal items, including reading glasses and an oxygen tank, that concluded at an old cistern shrouded in tall grass. With it's concrete cover pushed aside it appeared, at first glance, to be a human crouching or an animal stalking.

Parker crept forward slowly, and, holstering her weapon, illuminated the cistern's brick and mortar interior, a fraying rope ladder, steps of unknown sturdiness, a rope suspended from a grappling hook, and, of course, a surprise twist.

The rope, illuminated by a strobing red light of unknown origins, curved to the right approximately halfway down, indicative of a chasm. A secret passage seemed both probable and improbable. Jacob had been a Centre employee, and his hands were certainly soiled. Parker didn't want to believe that Sydney's brother had constructed a Centreesque passage to only God and Jacob knows where, and, via this route, took his dirty work home with him. Maybe the property records were incorrect and Jacob was never anywhere near this place.

Parker tested the structural integrity of the first step and grasped the rope, which, she believed, provided additional assurance that she wouldn't fall.

The steps, she discovered, were far more sturdy than the grappling hook, which loosened and slammed against the cistern with a soft thud, startling Parker. She lifted her eyes, observed the hook slip into the cistern's cavity, and extended a hand. She misjudged speed of descent but caught the rope nevertheless, preventing the hook's collision with the cistern's bottom.

Fears that she'd inadvertently announced her presence were immediately allayed by not-too distant shouting that easily concealed her movements.

Moments later, upon reaching a crumbling landing, and advancing slowly through a steel fortified entrance, Parker visually confirmed her suspicions. Jarod was attempting, and failing, to reason with an armed man, presumably a stranger.

Through an open door that dangled from rusted hinges Parker observed another individual slumped in some sort of reclining chair. Sydney.

Jarod's attention was evidently divided between the two men; every effort he made to gain access to the adjoining space, and to Sydney, was thwarted by a waving gun and an extended fist.

"Look," Jarod shouted in evident fear and frustration, "I don't know what you think he did to you, but if you let him die you'll be exactly the same monster you think he is. You'll be just like Raines."

The man roared his rebuttal at near-deafening decibels and hurtled forward. With gun in hand, he delivered four strikes to Jarod's head before Parker could even process the man's initial movements.

She reacted without thinking, reeling the length of rope through her fingers and launching the grappling hook through the air. Barbed tines ripped open a fraying cable sweater, abraded the length of the stranger's back. The man lifted his gaze skyward, and howled in rage, providing Jarod the opportunity to pluck the improvised weapon from the dirt floor, pitch himself backward, and try to recover from the assault.

The stranger's cried died abruptly; he spun around, poised to attack Parker. His eyes widened, filled with tears. "You," he accused.

"What about me," Parker said, her voice low and tight.  She met Jarod's tense stare over the man's left shoulder, and slid her gaze, briefly, to the adjoining room. Jarod interpreted the signal, and cautiously rose to his feet.

"I remember you. You're-"

"Let me guess," Parker interrupted crisply, confidently. "Catherine Parker?"

"No," the stranger stammered. "No, no. No, she's your mother," he explained softly. "But I don't have to tell you that, obviously. Oh, oh, no, oh, god, no, no," he groaned mournfully, and with a head lowered in shame, dropped the gun gently into a bucket half-filled with what appeared to blood, "I apologize for that, for even being in possession of the thing. It was probably a major trigger for you, and now you're probably having intrusive memories, and I am so, so sorry. The trauma you've suffered is unimaginable, and the last thing I've ever wanted to do is hurt you. I didn't know you'd be here. I didn't even know you were still alive. How are you still alive?"

Parker stared, unblinking, at the man, and contemplated her answer. Jarod, in her peripheral, seemed marginally relieved. Only marginally. She didn't like the way his brow was knitted, or the exhaustion in his face, the grave expression he wore.

"I've been asking myself that question for decades," Parker answered truthfully. Honesty was, oddly, easier with strangers. "It's been difficult. And you?"

The man nodded sympathetically, and pushed his hands into his pockets. "It's been hell, and it's odd, really, because I wasn't supposed to remember any of their so-called therapies, or you, or what they did to you, and I wish I didn't remember. I still hear your screams echoing in the corridors, the corridors of my mind," he explained, stretching his hands wide, "and I can't get to you," the man whispered tearfully. "That last time was--- my, god."

"What?" Parker prompted impatiently, and casually removed a set of handcuffs from the leather case at her waist.

"Aversion therapy, brainwashing, drugs. Granted, aversion therapy can, and has, saved lives, but I'm quite certain that William Raines wasn't trying to save your life, after all, he kept increasing the Emetine dosage. I wanted to help you, but I couldn't. All I've ever wanted to do is help you. I tried to tell him about the long term effects. Have there been any?"

"No," Parker answered softly, certain the man was confused, deluded.

"Oh, okay. Right. Then, no myopathy or gastrointestinal issues? Are you certain? Esophagitis, esophageal tears, ulcers, strictures? No, no," he cried suddenly, and hastily retreated, and sank to his knees. He completely missed the flicker of uncertainty and betrayal in Parker's eyes. "I won't hurt her, Ray," he cried. "I will never hurt her. I've only ever wanted to help her."

"You can help me now," Parker said, offering him the handcuffs, "by putting these on."

"Yes, I should do that," he agreed somberly, observing her extended hand and accepting the handcuffs therein. He quickly closed a cuff around his right wrist, and struggled to the do the same with the left. "Could you, perhaps, lend a hand. Caution is well in order, but fear is not. I have quite an astonishing criminal history, but I've never harmed a woman."

Parker knelt beside the man, closed the cuff, and observed cautious eyes fill with relief.

"Thank you, Miss Parker," he said, gratefully. "It seems no one else understands me quite like you do. That doesn't surprise me. I've always felt a connection with you, even though we've never met. I know all about you, too. I survived because of you. You would talk to your mother when Raines locked you in the stall next to mine, have conversations with her memory or ghost, and comfort yourself. You had remarkable coping skills for a child so small, and, later, when you became an adult you still had these amazing resources. I told myself that if you could be brave I could be brave, too."

"You need to be brave again, and stay here," Parker said, sharply, and swiveled towards the adjoining room.

"How is," Parker began eagerly as she entered, and then fell silent, recoiled. Instinct nearly compelled her to retreat, return to the man that had abducted Sydney.

And put a bullet in the bastard's god damn brain.

She rushed to Sydney's side instead, leeches and blood splatters and this god-awful stench be absolutely damned.

"Nice timing," Jarod said, retrieving sterile dressing from a black duffel bag. "There's another way out of here, but we're going to have carry the stretcher more than half the way, and it's obviously extremely important that we don't jostle him."

Obviously. Parker stared in tearful disbelief at the rusty orbitoclast protruding from Sydney's swollen and bruised right eye. Oh, God, Sydney.

"Grab some gauze from my bag," Jarod instructed. "I need you to do the same thing to his uninjured eye, almost the same thing I'm doing over here. Three handfuls of gauze and tape. Don't press," he cautioned, half-observing Parker work, noting the expression of horror she wore when she finally glimpsed the doorway through which she'd entered, and realized that their side of the door had been painted to match the walls; any occupant would believe they'd been walled in, and escape was impossible.

Moments later, still tucking dressing around the orbitoclast, Jarod lauded, "That's perfect. Uh, he's conscious. You can talk to him. He'll hear you."

"Sydney, I'm here," Parker said, frowning at the two blood-stained nasogastric tubes that partially filled both of his nostrils, and then glimpsing the dozen tightened straps, a head immobilizer, hard restraints.

Restraints? Parker's eyes hardened in anger.

"You restrained him," Parker asked Jarod indignantly, and was surprised by the snark and spark she'd so easily summoned, surprised there was any left, surprised to find anything at all left of herself aside from the self-loathing and fucking wretchedness that unreservedly inhabited her, and that she feared always would.

"Had to," Jarod answered succinctly, and only then did Parker realize that Sydney was writhing. She instinctively clasped one of his blood splattered hands, attempted to comfort him just as he'd comforted her when she was a child.

"I'm sorry, but you know we can't remove it here," Jarod informed Sydney gently, retrieving more dressing, as well as tape, from the duffel. "He tried to earlier," Jarod explained to Parker.

"Sydney," Parker chided softly.

The psychiatrist reacted to the restraints and evident pain with rage. He shouted and cursed, startling both Parker and Jarod. 

Parker opened her mouth to respond-- and then abruptly clamped her mouth closed.

"That isn't-- English or French," Parker murmured, both relieved and grateful that Sydney could speak at all, and, at the same time, heartily concerned that the words and language he spoke indicated serious brain trauma, impending death. "It's German," she added softly, strangling on tears. "He's asking to see his-" Parker attempted to continue, and failed; her voice dissolved into silence.

his mother

"I know," Jarod whispered thickly, blinking hard, struggling to concentrate, reject panic and fear. He forced himself not to contemplate the horrors he'd discovered in the recent hours, or the conversations that those discoveries warranted.

Questions only raised more questions; Jarod knew none of the answers; he wasn't even certain answers existed. He cast aside his emotions and thoughts-- and thoroughly comprehended the reasons Parker often chose to do the same.

Jarod worked in silence, and carefully secured the dressing.

"It's safe to transport him now," he announced, swinging his gaze at Parker, and suggesting softly, "Why don't you- uh, grab the other end. It's lighter."

Parkerstill steadily gazing at Sydney's facenodded resolutely, dislodging tears that she hastily pushed away with an index finger.

The impact of so small a gesture was, Jarod believed, profound and strangely terrifying.

He'd been attempting to maintain a physician's impeccable detachment, focus entirely on the objectivenot on emotions, or the patient, or his personal relationship with the patientjust as Sydney had taught him to do.

He hadn't anticipated an assault on all emotional fronts, hadn't expected to feel so much for her still.

Jarod drew a sharp breath, observed as Parker quickly turned away, and grasped the opposite end of the stretcher.

Within those brief seconds Jarod hastily rearranged his features, composed himself, and was, once again, the epitome of competence and efficiency.

"We're going to get him through this," Jarod assured Parker-- and hoped he wasn't wrong.

 


Chapter 13 by Mirage
Author's Notes:
A couple of humans read this and one of them replied, "you totes left out some deets about the weekend...we need dirty and emotional deets so we know what happened exactly." The other person said basically the same thing but with loads of obscenities that I shouldn't type here: "F*CKIN SKIMPING ON THE F*CKIN D*MN important parts is F*CKN BULLSH*T what the F*CKIN---"

and you all probably get the general idea. They also wanted "darkJarod."

I don't like to fansplain but (BUT here I go doing it anyway) the important part is that Sydney is alive. Yes?

Ah, but alas, it's much too lovely outside to be hanged, drawn, and quartered, therefore, I added several paragraphs and loads of details and some of those are about a certain activity.

The two humans were pleased with the additions (I'm displeased, but I have wine, and I suppose I'll live) (they didn't even notice that darkJarod was absent).

Honestly, I had no idea that a few sentences about a cetain activity could bring such an enormous amount of happiness to a Pretender fan. It sorta makes me want to include the certain activity in everything I scribble and make people happy more often.





The emergency room's modest waiting area had slowly filled to capacity, emptied, and was steadily filling again when Jarod emerged through the double doors that had closed behind him and Sydney upon their arrival at the hospital.

Parker's gaze was turned to a small, fussy child playing with window blinds and voicing frustrations. "But it's Saturday and this is so boring." The child twisted the blind's wand and invited a horizontal line of blinding midday sun into the uncomfortably frigid room.

It's Saturday?

It had been Friday morning when they'd arrived, and still dark. Parker believed it odd that the sun could rise and sink and rise again and she wouldn't notice, as if the hospital, much like the Centre, were an inert void where the concept of time ceased to exist.

Time doesn't exist here, only dread.

And waiting. Waiting to live, waiting to die, waiting for answers; it's exactly like the Centre.

Parker turned her head, looked directly at Jarod, and for a solid eighty seconds didn't see him. At last, her blue eyes filled with something approximating recognition, and she rose.

"I've been trying to call you all day- and night--- and morning," Jarod said with some relief, returning to the double doors, and holding one of them open for Parker. "Lyle said he hasn't seen you, hasn't heard from you at all since you called him from the hospital yesterday."

Parker nodded, said brusquely, "Mm, regarding the latest sociopath to tumble out of the Centre's closet. Lyle agreed with your suggestions and said he'd pass the details along to the Centre's transportation department."


"That's good," Jarod said, glancing at his watch."By now Ray should be checked in at the clinic in Virginia and assigned a psychiatrist. Have you been here all," Jarod began to ask, and, then, joining her in a wide, bright corridor, amended, thickly, "Of course you've been here all night. I wish I'd known. There's a much more comfortable waiting room on the fifth floor," he continued remorsefully. "You could have kept me, Nicholas, and Michele com-"

"I couldn't sleep anyway," Parker interrupted. "All they'll tell me is that he survived surgery and he's stable."

Jarod nodded understanding, all the while handily concealing doubt and struggling to reject burgeoning suspicion. He was categorically astonished to discover that Parker hadn't threatened, bribed, or deceived her way to Sydney's bedside. Even more confounding, Parker had crippled none of the emergency room staff. The police hadn't arrived and escorted her from the premises, evidently. Jarod didn't want to believe she was misrepresenting the truth, however, he found it impossible to believe that Parker had capitulated to the authority of Kathy, the front desk clerk.

Communication issues weren't inconceivable in the health care industry; there was a slim possibility that Nicholas' explicit instructions had been ignored or overlooked, and that advanced directives and power of attorney weren't being honored. Heads were certainly going to roll if Parker had been denied access to any information regarding Sydney's health and location.

Later.

Jarod was quite accustomed to competently managing multiple crises, simultaneously, with ease. These were no ordinary crises, however. He was emotionally and physically depleted, his body yearned for restorative sleep, and, he realized, suddenly that hunger pangs were causing nausea- when, just an hour earlier, he'd felt no hunger.
He wasn't confident that he could address and resolve another dilemma or divide more of his focus  with any success. He didn't want to shout at hospital staff, and he certainly didn't want to interrogate Parker until she explained why she'd lied to him.

"His condition is good, for now," Jarod assured Parker. "There are still some concerns about secondary brain injury, swelling, seizures. Sydney has been prescribed anticonvulsants, antibiotics, close monitoring. We'll have to wait and see if there are personality changes or deficits.

"Deficits?" Parker asked.
"Cognitive, speech, sensory, motor, memory."

"I'm not a doctor, Jarod," Parker said with some incredulity, "but I know what a lobotomy entails. Some victims don't even live, and rarely do they live meaningful lives."



"You're not wrong," Jarod agreed, bypassing a bank of elevators and opting for the stairs, hoping Parker wouldn't notice; he was, nevertheless, perplexed that she didn't notice.

"Sydney wasn't lobotomized," he explained, holding open for Parker a heavy door that concealed both the interior stairwell and emergency egress. "The orbitocloast didn't penetrate his frontal lobe. It entered through the superior orbital fissure and slightly penetrated the right temporal lobe. It's not necessarily an ideal trajectory, however, there was no apparent significant damage. Only a single hemisphere was involved. GCS-- uh, sorry," he amended with a sheepish smile, "Glasgow Coma Scale, is an impressive thirteen."

"I," Parker stammered, shaking her head, "don't know what the hell any of that means."

Jarod smiled warmly, remarked, softly, "Because you're exhausted. I'd be happy to drive you home so you can get some rest, and drive you back when Sydney wakes up."
Parker dismissively waved away Jarod's offer, and then pushed her hands through her hair. She squeezed her eyes tightly closed in frustration and struggled to remember the questions she'd assembled hours earlier. "Is Sydney partially blind now?"

"There was some loss of vision that notably improved when the orbitoclast was removed. That's good news. Initially, the neurologist feared that the optic nerve and an artery had been severed or severely damaged, but they're all intact, and the pupil is reactive, suggesting a good prognosis."

"Mm," Parker hummed, stopping abruptly on the stairs, "Ray perfectly replicated what was done to him by Jacob and Raines."

Parker's words brought Jarod's feet to an ungainly halt. "Pardon?" He asked, thickly.

"The only reason Sydney survived," Parker answered, angrily, "the reason arteries weren't damaged and nerves weren't severed is because Ray Alan last-name-unknown slowly tortured Sydney, because," Parker added tartly, "that's exactly what Jacob did to him. Ray was seeking revenge, and, because Raines altered physician contact information, didn't know that Jacob was dead."

"Did Ray tell you he replicated what was done to him?"

Parker stiffened, murmured a sharp, quiet no, and added hostilely, "Miss Bisset texted me copies of everything you accessed, and it's a damn good thing she did, because you sure as hell aren't being forthcoming with details."

"If Miss Bisset texted you everything I accessed," Jarod said, gently, "you already know the details."

"My phone's charger is at home," Parker rejoined, succinctly. "When were you going to tell me about the ECT and the impact that it's going to have on Sydney? Is that the reason he was speaking German and asking for his mother-- or is the botched lobotomy to blame?"

"Uh, apparently I'm going to tell you now, here, on the stairs. The impact isn't expected to be severe, and yes, one theory is damage to the temporal lobe. Another theory is ECT; trauma is another. Dehydration is another. Speaking of dehydration," Jarod added, "when is the last time you have eaten, and had something besides scotch to drink? I've seen people admitted to this hospital today who looked better than you do right now. Let's get you some water, hmm?"

"Let me guess," Parker asked, trembling with fury, vowels and consonants uncoiling rapidly and colliding haphazardly, providing Jarod no opportunity to interject and entirely ignoring his question, "the restraints and immobilizers conveniently concealed the bandages you placed on his burns. Why didn't you tell me about the burns?"

Jarod lifted his gaze to the third floor landing several steps away, and opened his mouth to suggest they sit.

"I don't want to sit," asserted Parker in a voice that was equal measures exhaustion and exasperation."I want the truth about Sydney, and I want to know everything you discovered about Jacob and Raines' sadistic little side gig. Torture, Jarod, my God-- how the hell are we going to explain to Sydney that he was paying for his dead brother's sins?"

"We're going to explain it to Sydney by telling him the truth, regardless of how painful the truth is. Okay," he asked, cautiously, seeking Parker's confirmation.

"Were you going to explain it to me before or after you explained it to Sydney?"

"Look," Jarod said, "I was sorta hoping we could shelve that conversation, perhaps focus on one crisis at a time."

Parker's eyes widened in surprise. "Why?" She asked, slowing to a halt.

"We're both exhausted, and there are hundreds of document files and thousands of image and video files in various formats, and many of those still have to be converted. I've always told you the truth-- even when you didn't want to hear it, and I always will, but I don't know the truth in its entirety right now, and I don't want to omit anything, and give you a legitimate reason to accuse me of withholding information from you."

Jarod reconsidered tone and word selection approximately three seconds after the reply departed his lips. So much for de-escalating. He grimaced before she spoke, before her eyes hardened.

"You should have told me about the burns," She snarled, "and about the-"

"I haven't had an opportunity to tell you anything," rebutted Jarod, softly, pivoting rapidly, and descending the stairs. "You vanished the second we reached the emergency room. I searched this entire hospital for you---  including the emergency waiting room, dozens of times, and called you every half hour. I didn't know if you'd returned to the farmhouse to confront Ray, if the confrontation had gone wrong," he continued angrily. "My God, we've all been worried sick about you."

Michele would later corroborate Jarod's words, accidentally disclose to Parker that a frantic Jarod had sent Broots to her house, to Sydney's house, the farmhouse, the Centre.

Jarod had personally called police stations and other hospitals, despite being urged by Michele, numerous times, not to search for Parker, to rest instead. She knows where we are, Jarod. She'll be here-- in her own time, when she's ready.

Twenty nine hours had elapsed, and was an awfully strong indicator that there was no such thing as ready sometimes, and that Michele didn't know Parker quite the way Jarod knew her- and as well as he knew and understood her he'd still accused her of being involved in Sydney's abduction, threatened her-- and his reasons weren't entirely related to Sydney's disappearance.

The prospect of losing Sydney had certainly shattered the hinges and locks that bridled Jarod's rage. Pain, however, lie at the heart of any anger Jarod felt towards Parker. He knew she was in pain, too, and struggling with her own demons, and that became rather evident when Jarod continued to advance.

Parker lowered her hand to her waist and opened her mouth to order Jarod not to come closer. Her fingers yielded an empty holster and her words, whatever they might have been, died in her throat.

"You left it in the van," Jarod informed Parker sympathetically, and then softly clarified, "In the unlocked van, on the passenger seat, in plain view."

Parker drew a tremulous breath, sank to the steps.

"I don't have it with me if that's what you're worried about," Jarod assured her softly, when she hugged herself, slumped forward, and pressed her forehead to her knees. "I don't even have the water pistol that I've been brandishing for the last fifty hours," he added, slowly sitting five steps above her. 

"Truth be known," Jarod intoned, gently, "I'm still worried sick about you. This is the second time you have reached for a gun that wasn't thereand that we both know you would never useto defend yourself against a threat that isn't real. I don't think I have to tell you that your gun wouldn't be adequate if I were even half the threat your father taught you to believe I am." 

Parker closed her eyes, and prayed, just as she'd been taught to do in Catholic school, but Jarod didn't disappear, and he wouldn't stop telling the truth.

Jarod had become less frightened of her gun over the years; in fact, he'd brazenly jerked her inadequate gun from her hand while standing in her home, and with Sydney there to witness her failings.

He'd been correct earlier, too: no, I don't want to hear that my gun would be more effective as a paperweight.

"And you don't need a gun to make me stop," Jarod added, tearfully. "You know that, don't you? You-- you didn't need a gun to stop me ten years ago. Don't you remember?"


Parker had tried to forget.



The weekend they'd shared, ten years earlier, had followed two years of routine, near-constant communication via telephone calls, emails, texts. The pair had shared infuriatingly-brief stolen moments that Parker refused to define as dates and had often discussed overwhelming feelings that she refused to define as loveuntil the inevitable confession that she knew could never be withdrawn, never be unheard by Jarod, which was precisely the reason she'd been so reluctant to utter such a dangerous word, and always careful not to make promises, and thoroughly insistent upon injecting the term confusion into every conversation with Jarod.

Jarod had believed the confusion would resolve on its own when Parker tendered her resignation or escaped with him.

Of course you're confused. You leave my side and go back to the Centre, where all of the lies began, where you've spent your entire adult life working for people who told you I was a monster.

It was a cogent theory that could only be confirmed by walking away from the Centre, and, Jarod was, after all, a genius, the man with all of the answerseven if, sometimes, those answers were incorrect. Any other woman might have been silenced by his reassurances, and much too intimidated by his intelligence to ever disagree with him.

Parker, however, wasn't any other woman; she couldn't, wouldn't, defer to him. She, loudly, unapologetically, voiced doubts that leaving the country with him was a permanent solution. I don't know if it's the magic bullet you seem to believe it is. I don't know if--this can be fixed.

Jarod had been stunned silent by her words.

This?
Fixed?

But Jarod saw progress where most everyone else would have seen both a red flag and a white flag, hoisted high, and frantically waved. It didn't occur to him to run, surrender, or punish her for being honest, vulnerable.

He'd assured her that nothing was broken, that the exaggeration was another Centre manipulation, and asked for an opportunity to understand, pleaded with her for clarity, for answers. Parker had no answers. Contrarily, she began questioning if perhaps confusion was a sufficient term, implying there was an even more consequential impediment, an insurmountable threatone she was incapable of namingto their happiness.

Jarod had valued Parker's openness more than he feared the truth, the potential for pain, more than he feared the challenges ahead. He assured Parker, again, that her confusion, or whatever it is you're feeling, was normal.

He'd erroneously believed that the chains and shackles of the Centre's madness and manipulations were, at long last, loosening their hold, beginning to unravel.

Instead, however, Parker unraveled, and, ten months later, during a weekend in July, their relationship did the same.

It should have been the beginning.

The pair had planned to leave the states the following Monday morning, fly over the Atlantic, begin home-hunting adventures in either The Netherlands or Italy. Parker had craved ceaseless travel. Jarod had broached the topic of RV life. They knew only that they wanted to be together and were both quite eager to compromise.

They'd spent Friday and Saturday negotiating the more insignificant details. Jarod had created dozens of pre-flight checklists that were unrelated to the pre-flight inspection that he'd have to conduct Monday morning. There was the question of how best to ensure that those left behind were safe, a conversation that continued well into Saturday night.

At midnight on Sunday morning while plotting cycling routes by candlelight on mildly creased maps, and leaning heavily towards landing the plane in Conségudes instead of Edam or Panzano, Parker extended two fingers and tenderly pushed perspiration from Jarod's brow.

It was much too warm, even for July, they'd agreed, peeling off damp clothes, and, then, semi-dancing, naked, into the adjoining room, and jogging up the staircase, laughing and kissing, to the shower where they rinsed away what remained of the sweat on their bodies, what they hadn't already removed with their mouths.

Beneath the cold spray, Jarod buried his face in Parker's shoulder, whispered a litany of I-love-yous that were quietly answered, reciprocated.

Parker felt him hard against her, and withdrew fractionally to meet his gaze. She purred a throaty, sensual oops, and intentionally allowed the soap to slip through her fingers.

Jarod had stared dumbfounded- until he felt her breath on his testicles. Oh-kay. He braced himself against the wall, inhaled sharply, lifted his gaze to the ceiling. He'd wanted to freeze time, prolong the ecstasy, but he'd been aroused since Fridayand quite possibly since Carthis, two years priorand Parker was hardly a novice.

Memories aroused and haunted him in equal measures. In Jarod's mind, in his memories, Parker's laughter reverberated wildly, warring with the present, her ragged breathing, her face buried in her knees.

If the choice were his to make, he would have chosen to hear her laugh once more, to relive hours of chasing each other through the safe house with water pistols and handfuls of ice.

Fate, however, was coercing him to relive, again, the moments after the shower, when they'd whispered their goodnights at the top of the mahogany staircase, and kissed-- and kissed, and then Jarod murmured against her mouth, Oh, no, and loosened the towel Parker wore. He shrugged, indifferently, when it slipped through his fingers. Allow me to- uh, assist you.

Mm, sure, she'd purred, but you should know that I'm deducting points from your overall score for lacking originality.

Meh, trivial foolishness, he'd cooed, kissing her jaw and neck and slowly sinking to his knees on the stair tread below the landing and I won't even need those points.

He'd, wordlessly, urged her to sit, because she'd swayed and clutched the banister when he'd moved his mouth across her belly. She'd sat on the landing, needing no encouragement. Comfy? He'd asked, cupping her bottom in his hands and lifting her thighs to his mouth.

Perfect, don't you think? He'd drawled. You get to watch everything I do to you and I get to see your face while I drive you completely out of your mind.

Jarod had later feared that hyperbole had been much too accurate. She'd been teetering on the edge of something-- an orgasm, he'd assumed, and certainly not literal insanity.

He'd never wanted to stop tasting her, and she had delightfully accommodated him, and encouraged him with moans that were only sometimes quiet when he dragged his lips over her clitoris. Parker had never been a particularly reserved individual; she wasn't ashamed or afraid of being loud or telling anyone what she wanted, and she'd been hyper-responsive to him. When he'd parted her labia with his mouth, and advanced his tongue into her vagina, she'd snarled, Don't you ever fucking stop, and Jarod had been elated that they'd agreed on one thing without lengthy negotiations.

He'd had to withdraw his tongue, however, because she'd inhaled a sharp breath and had apparently forgotten how breathing worked.

Uh, I think you're supposed to exhale at some point, he'd said, reaching between her thighs, and pushing a finger, slowly, into her vagina, and continuing the same rhythmic motion she'd established earlier.

I'm sooo close, she'd gasped, looking up into Jarod's face, watching him watch her, and as attentive a lover as he'd been, Jarod still couldn't be certain, ten years on, at which point, exactly, the pleasure had concluded and panic had commenced.

There'd been no warning.

And words had been entirely unnecessary.

It was as if someone had flipped a switch, as if, Jarod had mused darkly, a spouse had arrived home early from a business trip and slammed the front door.

She'd retreated from him suddenly and completely-- until her back collided with a wall.

She'd attempted to rise, and, instead, swayed, faltered. Fearing she'd fall, Jarod rose to his feet, and had nearly tripped on the stair nose in his haste to reach her. Whoa, wait. Wait, he'd cried, pressing his hands to her face, looking into her eyes, Talk to me. Please.

He possessed the medical training and presence of mind to talk a person through a panic attack- but had never believed that person would be her. She'd refused his help, refused to talk, listen, lift her head from her knees, look at him.

When she was able to stand she ran down the stairs, and Jarod knew exactly where she was going. He ran faster, grasped her shoulders. What are you-- doing? You don't have to run from me.

Then open the door. Give me my keys.

The keys are on the plane, in your suitcase, where you put them. You are no in condition to drive. I'll drive you any-

Let go of me, she'd ordered.

 I'll let you go, but please-

Don't, Jarod. Don't try to make me stay.

I'm -w- what? he'd cried, well aware at that juncture that there would be no new life in Santa Croce di Magliano- or anywhere else. M- make you? I'd never make you do anything. You should know that by now. You do know that, don't you?
 

Jarod believed it was rather evident that she didn't know, not then, and not now.

"I'm sorry," he said, hoarsely, "uh- I'm sorry if I withheld the truth from you, or lied. I had no way of knowing that you didn't see the burns. I lost track of when you left Ray and joined me and Sydney. I suppose I could have shouted at you from the back of the van, while you were clocking speeds well over a hundred miles per hour, and while I was trying to keep Sydney calm, that he'd been covered in leeches," Jarod asked softly, advancing, "subjected to ECT, burned? It just-- seemed like a lot to unload on you."

The door below them opened and Nicholas passed through it, mobile in hand. He started when he glimpsed the pair on the steps, Parker apparently crying, and Jarod, sitting several steps above her, wearing a grave expression. "Hey, hey, I think it's going to be all right. Dad's waking up, and Mom convinced the nurse to let us see him for a few minutes."

Jarod rose, observed as Parker did the same, but much more slowly. She pushed her hands over her face, pushed unkempt locks behind her ears, and intentionally trailed behind the men. She hesitated at the open door that would deliver her, at last, to the fifth floor.
"Oh, thank God," Michele, pacing the corridor, cried, and drew Parker into an embrace. "Jarod told me all about the ordeal you've been through, how you saved his life, how you both saved Sydney's life. They're letting us all see him," Michele explained quietly, releasing Parker, and gazing into her face. "Honey, have you eaten? Slept?"
"Michele," Parker stammered softly, "I-"
"Family only," a short CNA with cropped silver hair interjected sharply, addressing Parker. "Friends are welcome to sit in the waiting room, but only family will allowed-"

"She is family," Michele interrupted fiercely, drawing a protective arm around Parker.

"Oh, I'm-- uh sorry. Is her name on the list?"
Michele smiled, and answered proudly, "She's number one on the list."
"Oh-  oh, my God, I'm so sorry," the CNA said in evident surprise, "I'll make sure the others know."
Michele tightened her grasp on Parker's waist, and quietly confided, "Honey, you're trembling."
"I'm just tired," Parker said.
"Nicholas," Michele called softly, "bring my coat, quickly."
"You must have left it in the car," Nicholas said, sympathetically, shrugging out of his coat, and ignoring Parker's, "No, really, I'm fine."
"Did I?," Michele said.
"I don't need a coat," Insisted Parker when Nicholas draped his coat over her shoulders, but the only person listening to her was Jarod- and, oddly, he didn't intervene. As useless as always.
"Why would I leave my coat in the car?"
"Or the restroom, maybe? You could retrace your steps," Nicholas suggested.
"Later," Michelle said. "This child needs water and food."
"I don't need-" Parker began, futilely.
"I'll run to the cafeteria and see what's available," Nicholas said.
"And I'm not a child."
"You like fries, right?" Nicolas asked.
Parker shook her head, "Nicholas, I'm," Parker said to the empty space one occupied by Nicholas, "fine."
"We can't have you collapsing when you visit Sydney," chided Michele, and Parker conceded, grudgingly, drinking water and a vitamin drink that Jarod had concocted and insisted she accept, and even eating soup from the cafeteria.

Somehow, all of hell of the previous days and decades was forgotten, even if only temporarily, when Sydney surveyed six familiar faces and said, "Everyone I love, together, in the same room. My God," he continued, smiling tearfully, "I should have admitted myself to the hospital ages ago."

Sydney didn't know then just how temporary the reprieve would be. He wasn't thinking about his own culpability, and he wasn't thinking at all about Lyle; no one in the room was.

But they should have been.



Chapter 14 by Mirage







The sidewalks were crowded for a Wednesday evening, and too-bright and raucous, particularly when compared to the dreadful silence and dull fluorescent lighting inside the critical care waiting room.

Occasional sobs and anxiety-driven small-talk echoed in the dull room that somehow looked cozy with its worn furniture and artificial plants.

Even if for only a mere coffee quest, Jarod was grateful to be outdoors again, to see faces that weren't frightened or tear-streaked, or filled with unwarranted guiltregardless of how deeply he loved its conflicted, remorse-riddled owner. Parker had little to say to anyone, and was rather adamant about not leaving the hospital until Sydney was allowed to do so.

The same guilt that had compelled her to wait, alone, and reluctantly join Sydney's family on the fifth floor was the same guilt that demanded she spend several nights on a lumpy sofa in a modest waiting room that she shared with sometimes-hysterical strangers.

She couldn't stop punishing herself.

Jarod similarly reproved himself. Of all the words he'd ever spoken to Parker it was those spoken in anger, while terrified for Sydney, words he hadn't meant, that had most profoundly impacted her. Jarod had explained, numerous times, that he had never suspected her of being involved in Sydney's disappearance, and had apologized. Parker had succinctly acknowledged Jarod's explanations and apology, and hastily excused herself.

Parker had briefly looked in Jarod's general direction when Sydney's neurologist joined them to discuss suspicions of mobility deficits, possible cognitive impairment, short term memory loss.

"Mobility deficits? What are you," Parker stammered, grasping Michele's waist and hand, and helping her sit. "Are you saying that Sydney can't walk?"

"He's experiencing difficulties," the doctor replied somberly, ignoring Michele's quiet sobs, her tremulous, I have to call Nicholas-- and pray. We must pray. "However, his mobility should improve significantly with physical therapy. We're running some more tests right now, and-"

"Should," Parker repeatedly dubiously. "That means his condition might not improve."

The doctor drew a breath, and explained slowly, "I like to tell my patients and their families that a positive attitude is vital, and goes a long way in these situations. You need to remain positive. And perhaps pray."

"Why? Do you suck that much at your job?" Parker had said, tartly, assisting a distraught Michele in standing, and addressing Jarod as if he were an accomplice, "Deal with this, mm? I'll be in the chapel with Michele," she'd continued with a blistering glare at the doctor, "searching for my positive attitude."

Parker's mislaid positivity, unsurprisingly, hadn't been recovered in the hospital chapel, and not even Broots had been safe from her ire when he'd arrived bearing lunch in two large paper take-away totes. His cheerful, "Hiya, kiddo," had been greeted with a glare, and for a brief moment Jarod thought he would retreat, like any rational mammal would. Instead, Broots had snorted disparagingly, and, embracing Parker, cooed, "You don't mean it. Please, take at least one second to celebrate the fact that Sydney is alive," Broots chided, releasing her. "Sydney's alive. Now put that face away before Deb walks in and sees it."

Jarod had feigned interest in a National Geographic article, surreptitiously observed the various exchanges, attempted to label the various relationships, comprehend dynamics.

Parker was some strange amalgamation of aunt, sister, friend, and mother to Debbie. Improbably, she allowed Michele to coddle her; the degree of forbearance she exhibited was indicative of the longing for parental affection, a measure of the loss she'd suffered, the crippling ache for a mother's loveeven if it was someone else's mother. Parker had recognized that same longing in Debbie; they were two little girls bonded by pain.

Jarod bore the weight of his regrets, of every miscalculation, misspoken word, the hundreds of people he'd indirectly murdered, however, when he saw Parker and Debbie together and recalled his careful meddling, the meticulously sewn chaos that had sent Broots to Miami on the exact days that Sydney couldn't possibly ask for personal timeall of which resulted in Parker being designated guardian of Debbie for several dayshe knew, without a doubt, that he'd made the correct decision. My finest work.

He'd assumed that the three of them would become a family, that Parker and Broots would co-parent Debbie, and they had, but not quite the way Jarod had imagined, and he was selfishly relieved. He'd fallen in love with Parker, and certainly didn't want to begrudge Broots. 

Fortunately, Broots had married a woman name Gianna, and the pair were still basking in happily-ever-after warmth. Nicholas and his girlfriend, Willow, were similarly euphoric.

Both men were quite comfortable in their brotherly roles, and, when the Centre wasn't watching, they were permitted to embrace Parker, drape their coats over her shoulders, and call her kiddo, and walk away with all of their limbs still attached-- to the astonishment of absolutely no one, because the version of Parker who dismembered people for caring about her existed only in her mind.

Jarod was, nevertheless, bewildered; his conflicting emotions were in regards to the version of Sydney who withheld information from him. He felt marginally betrayed, wounded, by his former captor, and by Michele and Nicholas. He had confided in them, spent weekends in their home. Jarod had introduced Nicholas to Willow, and, fifteen months earlier, had helped the pair unload the moving truck when they purchased their modest fixer-upper in the country. He was given a key and open invitation to the house, the property, the thriving lake where father and son and other son often fished. "You said we should do this someday," Sydney had reminded Jarod one morning when they were alone in the dinghy, "just you and I."

Jarod couldn't have predicted then that he and Sydney would some day fish in a lake owned by Nicholas, or that Parker would also join Sydney on the lake. 

He imagined Parker sitting silently at Sydney's side, casting a line, and lounging on the front porch swing, one of the several pieces of furniture he'd given Nicholas and Willow as house warming gifts.

He imagined Parker gazing at the stars reflected on the lake's surface, and in Sydney's library curled up in a chair with a book and a mug of coffee, in Michele's kitchen preparing meals and laughing softly at psychiatry jokes, safe in the assurance, in Michelle's soothing assurances, that he always celebrated the holidays with his mother, father, and sister-- and with Ethan, too, on alternate holidays.  

Jarod couldn't help but to imagine arriving unannounced, and Parker's surprise, as well as his own. An assortment of scenarios paraded, unbidden, through his mind.

Nothing regarding the situation concerned him quite like the secrecy. Did she ask them not to tell me? Why? What the hell was she afraid of? That I'd issue an ultimatum? Force them to choose? Does Ethan know about this?

Oddly, Jarod had not thought at all of Parker's biological twin sibling during those indolent hours spent pondering the chosen family that he and Parker shared, and Sydney's betrayal, and the headaches that must have accompanied the measured, tedious scheduling and subterfuge and how were they able to thoroughly remove every trace of her scent from their homes so I wouldn't know she'd been there? Did I unwittingly alternate Hanukkahs and Rosh Hashanahs with her? Were there close encounters? Near misses? What now?

Jarod recited his order and joined the queue of customers, all swiping at their mobile devices. He was reminded then to turn on his mobile phone, return any missed calls from his parents, Emily, or Ethan. He glimpsed the fifteen voice messages, eight dozen missed calls, and sixteen new text messages, and knew the overkill was a strong indicator that something had gone wrong.

The barista called his name while he read the most recent message from his former colleague in Virginia: I can only assume by your uncharacteristic lack of communication that Ray suffered a grave medical emergency, and was transported to a hospital in your area for treatment. If you'll kindly text me his location, I'll assess him while he convalesces, and, if at all possible, coordinate with medical professionals there to expedite any mental health treatment deemed necessary.

"Your coffees, Sir?" The barista repeated politely.

"Right," Jarod said, gingerly collecting the take-away box, "Sorry."

"Have a terrific evening."

"Yeah, you too," Jarod said numbly, and walked the shortest route back to the waiting room.

He thought of Lyle while handily negotiating the throng of shoppers, recalled how quickly he'd leapt to Sydney's defense, attempted to silence suspicion, conclusions. Lyle had embodied the role of advocate and voice of reason, and had even invited Jarod to suspect him of involvement in Sydney's disappearance. Not that I've ever needed an invitation, but why?

"Please pass these out," Jarod said to Broots, only fractionally slowing his feet.

"Sure. Ah- my triple shot caramel frap. Thank you," Broots said, smiling gratefully. He lost some of his buoyancy, however, when he observed Parker look up from a book and glimpse Jarod approaching her. She'd seen something in Jarod's face that he hadn't, had detected it from across the room, in fact, and quickly rose.

Broots averted his eyes, stared listlessly at his cup. He believed it was truly tragic that two people who were capable of so flawlessly and wordlessly communicating, with just a single glance, had spent a solid ten years not speaking at all.

"What is it," Parker asked Jarod brusquely.

"I need you to call the transport team and verify that Lyle made the appropriate arrangements-"

"Got it," Parker interrupted. "Do you have a-"

Jarod nodded, offered Parker his mobile. She dialed quickly, made inquiries, listened intently.

"The transportation clerk confirmed that Ray was admitted to the New Hope Wellness Clinic in Virginia Saturday morning at precisely ten twenty-five," Parker informed Jarod hastily, dialing another number. "Lyle filed the authorization forms himself, and ordered Terrence and the entire transportation crew to take the weekend-- hold on," Parker said to Jarod and spoke several moments to the Centre's Transportation department supervisor before becoming quiet and shaking her head. Jarod frowned when she expelled a tremulous, "fuck" and met his gaze.

"What did Transport say?" Jarod prompted, gently.

"That Lyle sent everyone home- sweepers, cleaners, maintenance, custodial, technical, and took a van. Damn it," Parker whispered, redialing. "Voice mail.

"Lyle's in a Centre transport van?" Jarod asked, eagerly.

Parker nodded, and, without hesitation, thoroughly extinguished his optimism, "Terrence tried to track the van, but-- God," Parker added, exasperated, pushing a hand through her hair and redialing, "he said the GPS malfunctioned."

"Well that's awfully convenient," Jarod remarked blandly.

"Yeah, Smartass," Parker stammered brusquely. "Lyle trashed it and disappeared--- with Ray, but why? Why would he involve himself in any of this? He doesn't know Ray or-"

The Pretender grimaced, and averted his eyes, silencing Parker, briefly.

"Does he?" Parker demanded.

"I must have overlooked something."

"What do you mean?" Parker asked.

Jarod shook his head absently, pivoted.

"Wait," Parker shouted, extending a forestalling hand, as if intending to physically stop him. He drew to a halt, observed as she dropped her hands at her sides. Infuriated, and, with an expression of mortification, she asked, "What are you doing?"

Jarod believed the question was directed as much at herselfif not more soas at him. He answered, nonetheless.

"I'm going to find Lyle. Okay?"

"No, it's not okay. He's my brother," Parker asserted when Jarod turned once more. "Jarod, what the hell aren't you telling me?"

"I don't know-- yet, and there isn't time to explain right now," Jarod exclaimed, hastily walking toward the nearest exit.

"Then you'll explain in the van," Parker insisted, jogging to catch up with him.

In the van, however, Jarod was hesitant, distracted by traffic.

"You think Lyle knows Ray," Parker prompted, again.

"I think it's possible, and I think Sydney knew. It's why Sydney concealed files and DSAs."

"No- no. I hate to agree with Lyle, but-"

"Then don't," Jarod advised. "I know he was eager to find Sydney, that he urged me not to jump to conclusions, and I truly believe he wanted to find Sydney alive."

"But?"

"He knew when we found Sydney we'd find Ray, too, and finding Ray was his primary motivation."

"My God, Jarod, you don't actually believe that Sydney knew about Project Oblivion and did nothing to stop his brother and Raines."

"I don't know."

"You don't know? Jarod, this is Sydney we're talking about."

"Yes, I'm aware, and, unfortunately, Sydney worked for the Centre, and sometimes that means-- well, I really don't think you need me to tell you what it means."

"Let me guess: you think Lyle was involved, too?" Parker asked.

"I don't know. I found only a fraction of the truth, because I wasn't searching for Lyle at the time, and because his dossier contained the details of only a fraction of his life."

Parker nodded, thoughtfully, and softly confided, "Sometimes I forget that he wasn't always Lyle."

"No," Jarod agreed, "he wasn't. I think it's time we both became better acquainted with Bobby Bowman, don't you?"

"We should be searching for him, not sifting through his past."

"You said teams are searching for him in rotating shifts, and still haven't found him. Did they search the Bowman home?"

"The entire property," Parker answered, "the farmhouse, all of Lyle's properties."

"You and Ray spoke for several moments, and you cuffed him. Did he say anything to you-"

"No, not about Lyle," Parker interrupted.

"Did he talk about his childhood, parents, a home?"

"The standard Centre fuckery. He was relieved that I cuffed him," Parker added hastily, and, glimpsing an exit sign, asked, "Jarod, where are you going?"

"Hmm, you're probably gonna wish you'd asked that question prior to jumping in the van with me," Jarod answered softly, and with a deep frown, said, "You said Ray was relieved. Why was he relieved? Why did he discard the gun?"

"He said he committed crimes, has a---an astonishing criminal history were his exact words."

"Did he provide details?"

"No," Parker answered resolutely and then amended, "Only that he's never harmed a woman. Why are you going to the loft?"

"Because it's a safe house, and the only other way I can do this is by strolling through the Centre lobby with full access- which would be quicker, but, unfortunately, I'm a Centre fugitive."

"Miss Bisset can give you everything you need."

"That's generous, Miss Parker. I'll call her from the safe house, ya know, where you won't be caught fraternizing with a Centre fugitive slash your arch nemesis, the pretender you are supposed to find and return to the Centre. Or are you eager to be my Centre cell mate?"

"I'm interim Director now," Parker mused, aloud, "and I can do whatever the hell want."

"With tower approval," Jarod interjected.

"And what I want to do," Parker continued, "is send everyone home."

"And how do intend to pull that one off, Madame Interim Director?"

"I don't need Tower approval for drills or security upgrades."

"True," Jarod agreed, "when the Director is absent from the premises for any period of time the second in command is permitted to initiate a variety of security sequences deemed necessary to safeguard the Centre and its interests."

"I'm ordering a Centre-wide security upgrade, effectively immediately, precipitated by recent breaches. Mm," Parker added with a smile, "but primarily because I fucking say so."

Jarod nodded. "I like it. I still need to pick up some tactical gear from the loft, unless you object?"

Parker didn't. It would have been impractical to do so. The safe house, a three story, once-industrial loft housed secure wifi, secure telephone lineson which Parker could execute an immediate evacuationin addition to tactical gear. She'd last seen the loft in her rear-view mirror, just after her hasty departure ten years earlier, and had forgotten as much about the place as she remembered. She knew where all of the false walls were, and how to gain access to every possible route to the hidden panic room, and that the massive interior sliding metal door could be stubborn.

She didn't recall the security cameras, however, or the recessed lighting on the front's exterior, and had no memory at all of her suitcase, of leaving it behind, and she was stunned to see it again, see it so strangely out of place at the foot of the stairs, exactly where she'd left it.

The gun Jarod had held to her head days earlier sat atop a long, squat metal table; she observed a globule of water form, bulge, and drop from its barrel, the well-oiled barrel of a meticulously maintained water pistol?

"Love what you've done with the place," she purred, dryly, with a cursory appraisal of the unchanged ground floor. The large drafting table, the curtains, the lamps were the same. The thread-bare floor runner, purchased from a consignment shop, hadn't been replaced.

The dried, brittle stems of wildflowers that she and Jarod had plucked from the earth ten years earlier remained in a tall, thin glass vase whose bottom was now marred with a dry dark green residue, the withered remains of what had once, and all too briefly, been beautiful, and Parker believed it was absolutely nothing if not metaphorical.

She wanted to leave the loft, again, and just as quickly.

"Do you remember where the communications room is?" Jarod asked.

"I'll find it," Parker answered softly.

"I'll meet you back here in ten," Jarod said.
 
"Yeah," Parker agreed, but the loft felt much too confining, haunted, far more haunted than any Scottish Isle or cemetery. She placed her calls, and hastily exited.

Jarod found her, ten minutes later, in the van, gazing at the passenger side window, seeking solace in silence- an exercise in futility, no doubt, but Jarod believed she deserved an opportunity to try, at least, and that if either of them could ever attain even a single moment of peace it should be her.

He broke the silence when they were only a half mile from the guard gate. "We can't be too careful," he said, studying his mobile's screen. "Angelo installed cameras several years ago," Jarod explained. "You refused to do your job, follow leads. I was worried. Hmm," Jarod hummed. "It's deserted. You activated AI?"

"Of course."

"Including the guard gates?"

"We're wasting time, Jarod."

"I wasted nearly thirty years' worth of time imprisoned there, but, please, tell me more about wasting time."

"Don't worry, Jarod, if I see a human I'll kill it. Drive."

Parker was, typically, a woman of her word, however, she didn't anticipate encountering a human just then, let alone two dozen of them from the local precinct, bearing badges and brandishing guns.

She and Jarod both, in fact, were stunned by the approaching sirens, the appearance of patrol cars outside the Centre gates.

"What the hell?" Parker murmured, pausing her floor-pacing to peer through the windows.

"What?" Jarod called, his eyes never straying from the computer's monitor.

"We've got company. Police," Parker answered curtly. "Have you found anything yet?"

"Yes," Jarod answered softly. "Printing now. It's not good news. Your brother and Ray were sequestered here prior to being placed with foster parents. They've uh-- met, unfortunately. Ray told you he's never harmed a woman. He hasn't. He has, however-"

Parker thrust two forestalling hands in Jarod's direction, and, exasperated, declared, "If Lyle wants me to know he'll tell me himself."

"That's rather charitable of-" Jarod began, but then fell silent and frowned. "Is that--- Lyle's voice?" He asked after a few moments. "A bullhorn?"

Parker shook her head, studied the wall of monitors behind her. "No," she said, "he's patched into the Centre's old intercom system. There," she added, pointing at a screen. "The signal's in the south wing, in the cells."

"Where it all began," Jarod whispered.

"Where it began?" Parker asked. "That means he's planning to end it there. Damn it," She stammered, hastily turning.

"We're already too late," Jarod shouted, running to catch up with her. "Lyle knew you'd order an evacuation, that there'd be no one here to intervene, no guards to counter the police presence."

"Shut up," Parker groaned.

"I'm sorry, but it's the truth," Jarod said.

"Not you," She clarified. "Lyle. He needs to shut up. The Centre has retained some of the most brilliant lawyers in the country; he's not doing himself any favors by confessing."

"Or directing police to Ray's body," Jarod added somberly. "He is planning to end it here. What are you going to do? Throw yourself between Lyle and a dozen drawn guns?"

"I sure as hell am not going to sit on my ass while the police murder my brother," Parker vowed, running through the corridor, sharply antithetical, Jarod believed, to her earlier position of kill anything that gets in the way.

The earlier promise was enthusiastically abandoned for a more noble one, a promise she was capable of honoring, and, ultimately, Parker would save a life, regardless of Lyle's fierce opposition to being saved.

"Think about it, Parker," Lyle argued, impassioned. "It can end here, all of it. Jarod," Lyle said in a tight, dull voice, turning his gaze to the Pretender, "I unlocked that door for a reason-- and, now, here you, master of barricades. Let. Them. In."

Jarod simply shrugged, retrieved another chain.

"All of what?" Parker demanded.

"The hell," Lyle answered simply. "The evil. You said yourself I'm a sociopath, spawned under some rock, if I rememer correctly. I need to be put down, like a rabid animal, before I kill everyone I've ever cared about."

"You just admitted that you're capable of caring about people."

Lyle grinned, rebutted gently, "Cujo cared about his humans, too, prior to the incident with the bat. Nevertheless," cooed Lyle.

"You need some help, Lyle," Parker continued with a dismissive gesture.

"Help--- is code for institutionalization, isn't it? Raines wanted to help me by institutionalizing me as well- which is how I met Ray. And Ray is the reason I am what I am. And you already know what my thoughts are in regards to the monstrous prison industrial complex, mass incarceration, corruption, atrocities, abuses. I'd rather die here, right now, than spend the remainder of my life in prison."

"Is that the plan?"

Lyle smiled warmly, answered softly, "Those officers outside are going to take one look at the mess I made of Ray, decide I'm an animal, and open fire on me. I know it. You know it. Get out of the way, Parker, and let them do it. Uh- and take Jarod with you."

"Mom will never forgive me if I let you do this. You and I came into this world together. I'm your older sister."

"You're not really going to pull the older sibling card on me now, are you?"

"No," Parker said, coolly, kneeling at his side. "I was distracting you."

"From what?" Lyle asked with a frown of concern. He was promptly answered by the dull sting of needle. "What the hell," he groused, glaring first at his aching shoulder, and then into Jarod's face. "No," Lyle stammered, frantically, and then, struggling to rise, shouted, "Help."

"Why is he still resisting?" Parker asked, tightening her grasp on her brother's shoulders. "Shouldn't he be asleep already? You said the drug is fast acting."

"I didn't say instant," Jarod said, defensively. "He's more afraid than angry," Jarod observed, and advised Parker, softly, "Hold him tighter. Talk to him," Jarod stammered. "Tell him he's going to be okay. Tell him."

The words rang false, even on Jarod's lips. Nothing was okay. Lyle most certainly wasn't okay, and Parker didn't believe he would be in the immediate future- or that he ever truly had been. He'd carefully orchestrated his death via cop, after all, and had most likely dismembered one of his tormentors; there was nothing okay about that.

"Even if you were never going to be okay," Parker said to Lyle, "Mom wouldn't give up, and neither will I. She wouldn't give up. She'd never give up on you."

Jarod loosened his hold on Lyle, and said in a voice colored with relief, "That's better."

"Is it?" Parker asked Jarod, gazing with sympathy at the tears in her brother's eyes, the genuine agony twisting his face. "He's sobbing."

"Keep talking to him," Jarod said.

Parker quietly spoke the only words that felt appropriate, words that no one else had ever offered Lyle, words his foster father and Raythe two people who had most severely wounded himhad denied him and neither of them were ever sorry for hurting me anyway.

Parker repeated the words until Lyle fell silent, and still, and, at last, succumbed to sedation- and she meant them.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

 


End Notes:

Autocorrect is a little itch. *shrugs*

Chapter 15 by Mirage






The edifice was modern and square, white concrete and shatter-resistant glass, and the property it sat upon as expansive as it was lush.

No fewer than five sets of gates and metal detectors separated visitors from the heavily guarded waiting area sealed with more of the protective glass. There, Parker was invited into a small, empty glass unit to endure a thorough pat down, sign a waiver, and indulge remorse and shame.

She found it increasingly difficult to console herself, and had hoped this journey would allay some of her guilt.

At least it's not prison.
His mental health is a priority.
He's safe here.
The meals are edible.

A quiet buzzer startled her to full alertness, and another gate opened to permit her entrance. She was escorted by more of the facility's muscle through a brightly lit corridor and a waiting lift. Parker boarded with no encouragement and observed the doors close with a hiss.
What in the hell have I done?
This could be worse than prison.
Much worse.

The lift ascended silently to the lobby where a drowsy, portly doorman asked her to be patient, and gestured to a small, tidy self-serve counter upon which an array of sandwiches, cakes, and fresh fruits had been curated. Teas, coffees, and waters were also offered to visitors and guests upon wheeled brass serving carts. Parker declined those, and declined, too, the offer to sit. She opted to stand at a window overlooking the south gardens.

A vibrant foreground of herbs, vegetables, hibiscus, sunflowers, dandelions, and berry bushes clashed harshly with the encompassing concrete barrier that loomed, thirty feet tall, just meters beyond, crowned with triple coils of concertina.

It is prison.
Why did I let Jarod talk me into doing this?
Fuck.
Why have I ever let Jarod talk me into doing anything?

"Miss Parker?" A voice called behind her.

Parker drew a breath, murmured, "What?"

"I believe we have an appointment. Richard Steltzer."

Parker turned, appraised the man's vivid blue eyes, and curly, messy ash brown hair. The coffee-hued sports-jacket screamed solemn professor, the dark jeans and Springsteen T-shirt suggested something else entirely. Shared musical preferences, however, weren't nearly enough to assuage her anxieties. In fact, she was horrified by the deep, youthful dimples, the Nintendo Switch protruding from a front pocket, his bare feet.

I've entrusted my brother to a child.

"Do you mind if we walk?" Richard asked.

Parker shook her head, joined him in a vibrant corridor whose walls were crowded with expressionistic paintings, surrealistic dreamscapes or hellscapes, rich, imposing compositions executed with a liberal use of impasto. She felt repulsed in some nonspecific way, and, implausibly, intrigued.

"I suppose I should thank you for approving the visit."

"Oh, that isn't necessary. In fact, I should be thanking you," he said, pausing briefly at the locked door for a retina scan. The door opened wide, permitting exit from one building and entrance to an adjacent building via a glass enclosed sky-walk that connected the two. "You don't know how relieved I am that you requested an in-person visit," Richard said, gazing up a cobwebbed sky.

"Relieved?" Parker asked, studying the grounds below, and glimpsing a young brunette attired in low-slung black capri pants, a cropped olive T-shirt, and pride-edition doc martens. "Why relieved?"

"Many families prefer to call," Richard answered simply. "And telephone calls, I'm afraid, often lead to unrealistic expectations."

"Such as?" Parker asked, her attention divided equally between Richard's explanation and the brunette on the lawn, wrestling an easel.

"Well," Richard said with a peculiar head-tilt, "calls are typically answer and question sessions, and the questions are rather simplistic in nature, and, of course, some answers are a lie. Our clients know what their worried families want to hear, what will please and relieve them. The most common lie we all tell is yes, I'm okay; our clients aren't any different. Families hear those words and believe their loved ones are ready to transition, begin participating in vocational programs, and soon return to society."

Parker nodded her understanding, observed the brunette brandish a silicone palette knife, and enthusiastically assault the canvas. 

The door at the end of the sky-walk opened invitingly, and claimed Parker's full attention; the corridor beyond was a replica of the one they'd left behind, bright lighting, polished floors.

"In-person visits give families a more accurate view of their loved one's current state of mind and progress, and tend to temper expectations."

"What should my expectations be?" Parker asked, pointedly.

"Your brother is going to be here for many years, regardless of what he might say to you in future telephone conversations. He has quite a journey ahead of him, and emotionally fatiguing work he must do if he's going to heal himself."

"How is he?"

"Wounded, bitter, disordered. You're aware that he was locked inside a small, dark frigid space for lengthy durations during childhood and well into adolescence."

"Are you comparing this place to the shed he was locked in? There's no comparison," Parker argued.

"That's a matter of perspective. It's exactly the same for him, only there was some consolation when he was younger: his blood relations weren't responsible for locking him away."

"What the hell are you saying?" Parker snarled quietly.

"Don't misunderstand me, please," Richard answered with a tiny gesture intended to placate. "Two truths, Miss Parker, exist simultaneously: you made the correct decision and Lyle feels betrayed by that decision. He wanted to end his life. He still does. Instead, he's here, imprisoned for all intents and purposes, and stripped of control. He believed death would liberate him."

"Liberate?" Parker asked, livid and incredulous.

"From himself, from traumatic childhood memories. He can heal, just as his physical injuries, inflicted by Jarod if I understand correctly, are healing. There isn't a marked improvement in the latter just yet, however, our team of specialists—maxillofacial surgeons, orthodontistshave collaborated to treat him and we're managing his pain and infection with injections, uh, injections as opposed to oral medications that could be cheeked."

"I see," Parker said.

"Your brother has expressed fear that his long term care here will become burdensome for you. He feels betrayed by you, and, yet, doesn't want to be estranged from you. I hope you'll bear that in my mind during this visit, allow him to voice his anger, and understand that pain lies at the root of that anger." Richard Steltzer smiled. "Is that skepticism or surprise on your face?"

"A healthy dose of each," Parker remarked, guardedly.

"I want to give you back your brother, Miss Parker, not the one you attempted to murder and the one who attempted to murder you, but Bobby. I want you to know Bobby. How do you feel about that?"

"I feel," Parker answered tentatively, "like you have a helluva lot of work to do."

The woman, Richard mused, was every bit as evasive and guarded as Jarod had said she'd be.

"I don't," Richard corrected amiably, "Lyle does. This is his room," Richard announced warmly, and lifted his gaze to the ceiling. Parker observed the man's deliberate nod of head, and anticipated the typical electromechanical symphony of confinement: obnoxious buzzers, deadbolts retracting, signals and alarms of various pitches and lengths.

The door soundlessly fell ajar, however, preserving the calculated, bordering oppressive, quietude that saturated the corridor. "You'll be supervised," Richard disclosed softly, and frowned deeply when Parker, at his side, jerked involuntarily.

"Do you need a moment?" He asked.

"Of course not," Parker answered impassively, pushing open the door and entering a sparsely furnished, rather spacious room not dissimilar to the Centre's mini apartments. The open floor design allowed freedom of movement while also providing its occupant absolutely no privacy. The walls were umber, the floors some sort of hardwood. Skylights supplied ample illumination; Lyle, however, slumped forward in an ebony straight-back, didn't even pretend to be interested in the book opened upon on the small rectangular table before him. Reading provided absolutely no relief from the insidious, maddening ennui.

"Sis," Lyle addressed Parker sharply, and turned his head in either direction, an ongoing attempt to loosen tension in his neck, "or do prefer Judas?"

Parker sat across from him, smiled shrewdly. "Mm, you're not so delusional that you believe you're Jesus now, are you, Lyle?"
"I'm not delusional at all. I'm not crazy, but you might be. An asylum? You tossed me into an asylum? I'm evil, for Christ's sake. There isn't a treatment or cure for my particular brand of sickness. I can't be rehabilitated, and they seem to know that here, after all, they haven't allowed me to leave this room. This is worse than death."
"Don't say that, Lyle."
"Don't say the truth? Is sparing your feelings more important than the truth? This was Jarod's idea, wasn't it?"
"He agreed to help."
"Does it look I'm being helped? Is the bastard here? Is he watching us now? He is, isn't he? He's watching us right now. We both know it."

Lyle's accusations regarding the Pretender exponentially ratcheted up the eeriness quotient, stunning Parker into silence. The expression of mere concern she'd worn presently mingled with sudden suspicion, discomfort. Disgust. She found it impossible to reassure her brother---and herself. Jarod had, without a scintilla of remorse, revealed his voyeurism. He'd either seen or heard her reaction to the possibility of law enforcement involvement several mornings earlier, the morning she'd learned Lyle had been assaulted. Only God and Jarod knows what else he saw and heard. 

Parker shook her head, as if to negate Lyle's accusation, and her own thoughts.

"He is, isn't he," Lyle exclaimed fretfully, his paranoia cemented, and Parker's exacerbated.

Mm, but is it paranoia if it's true?

"I'm not here to talk about Jarod," Parker asserted hastily. "It's either this or death row, Lyle."
"Yes, it is," Lyle agreed, impassioned, "and I chose death. I still choose death."
"Suicidal ideation was a compelling argument," Parker remarked gravely, "one of the many that landed you here."
"Where is here, exactly?"
"It's a private firm that specializes in treating troubled-"
"Troubled," Lyle interrupted softly. "Troubled? I'm not troubled. I'm a murderer," he corrected, gently, his bitterness, at last, dissolving.

Parker recoiled from the resignation in his voice, the sympathy in his eyes, the gauche tenderness; they were foreign gestures.

"And that has never troubled me," Lyle expounded gently, "I recently demonstrated my particular skill-set, provided police a horrific tableauof course, most people don't think of vivisection as a skill," Lyle added with a shrug. "Everyone's a god damn critic. Tell me, Sis," he continued, desperately evangelizing, struggling to make his pitch and highlight the selling points, believing his soul, like the soul of every dark-hearted charlatan, was damned to hell, "do you foresee some miraculous transformation, an end to this incarceration? Do you see me working a nine to five job in the future? Married? A couple of poodles running underfoot? I certainly don't. I'm afraid vivisectionist doesn't translate to an ordinary career, not even in the private sector. Hell, I'm not even certain that any military would want to avail themselves of my services."

"Give it time," Parker said,  "You've been here-- what, a week?"
Lyle smiled sweetly, and explained with a hopeless expression and demurring shake of head, "Time won't change what I am. Please, help me."

"I am," Parker assured Lyle, albeit haltingly, struggling for control, revealing contrition. "It's why you're here. Your mental health is a priority here. Rehabilitation-"

"I've already endured the orientation tour. I know about the vocational programs, the music and art therapy classes. You saw the painter, didn't you, just now, on your way here, and you must be curious to know what they're painting," he said with a sudden sardonic lilt in his voice. "An insipid landscape, you're probably assuming, yes? Perhaps a eerily accurate self-portrait? Spoiler alert: it's a blank canvas," Lyle said with a hollow laugh. "It's always a blank canvas. What do you think the significance is? Is it purely symbolic or a fear of straying from the known? Hell, maybe the painter truly appreciates clean, white squares. To each their own aesthetic, hmm? "

"I'm not here to talk about art, Lyle."

"Why are you here? To apologize? If you're sorry, Sis, you'll have to prove it. End this."

"If you let them win, Lyle-" Parker began carefully in a voice strangely devoid of confidence.

"You're not that naive," Lyle interjected. "What is this? The faithless preaching to the faithless? You know as well as I do that there are no winners. No one survives life."

"You can survive the people who hurt you," Parker argued, softly.

Lyle's already grim expression soured further. "The mental acrobatics you performed to arrive at that conclusion must have been exhausting. What is this? An inductive leap? Are you writing for a greeting card company? You have no idea what this feels like," He alleged. "You can't possibly know. I already survived the monsters, I outlived them, and now I have to relive it. Survive it again. And that's your fault. Please, don't make me relive it. Please," Lyle stammered plaintively, attempting to hold her gaze. "If you knew what this felt like you would help me," Lyle sobbed.

Parker was startled by the terror in his eyes, the ephemeral glimpse of the child he'd been, his eagerness to die, and the devastating compulsion to rescue her brother from his hell.

She averted her gaze, fled from her brother's blue eyes, the camerasall of those other eyes, observing, analyzing. She inhaled sharply, pressed her lips together, lowered her head.

Methodical and precise, Lyle rose with alarming swiftness, cupped Parker's chin tenderly in one hand and lifted her head; he marveled, uncomprehendingly at the tears spilling from closed eyelids.

Richard Steltzer, observing from the corridor, halted two nurses with a curt, quiet, "No. He won't hurt her." The nurses weren't nearly as confident.

Lyle expelled a low groan, and, after a moment, addressed Parker remorsefully, "Before I killed him Ray told me about Raines' clandestine-" the statement was aborted when Parker, displeased with her brother's conversational choices, flinched. Lyle gasped as if physically wounded, snorted his rage. "Oh- oh, God. You know what it's like then. You also know it doesn't have to be this way," Lyle proposed quietly, dragging an inquisitive fingertip along the slope of her neck. "We don't have to remember, relive."

"It won't always be this way," Parker assured Lyle.

"Of course it will. You still relive witnessing our mother's death, in that elevator, and that wasn't even real. There was no elevator suicide."

"Mom would have sacrificed herself to rescue-"

"Shaming me for wanting to die is just a little bit counterproductive," Lyle said with some incredulity, "not to mention hypocritical. Look: just hear me out here, okay? If I killed you right now they'd kill me. You and I both can be free."

"Do it," Parker snarled, staring fiercely into her brother's eyes.

Lyle stiffened, stammered, "What?"

"Do. It." Parker demanded.

Lyle released her, fled to the door, hammered savagely. "Steltzer," he shouted, hugging himself defensively, his eyes wide and furtive, and filled with tears. "Visitation's over."

Chapter 16 by Mirage
Author's Notes:

Stay healthy out there, Fam.

 











"They didn't have anything with fresh fruit," Jarod announced quietly, entering Sydney's kitchen and closing the door behind him. "But jelly-filled is fruit adjacent and - uh," he grunted when he crossed the threshold to the dining room and glimpsed Parker sitting at the dining table, half illuminated by the light spilling in from the kitchen. "You aren't Nicholas."

"Astute observation," Parker murmured distractedly, writing unhurriedly. "You must be a genius or something," she added lightly, smiling when Jarod quietly chuckled.

"Guilty," Jarod said, amiably. "In my defense I had no say in the matter."

Parker looked up from Sydney's ledgers and several sealed envelopes, and remarked softly, "Fruit-adjacent?"

Jarod smiled, opened the box of pastries, and offered, politely, "Want one?"

Parker shrugged, pushed a hand over her eyes. "Sure," she said.

"Oh, no, no, I've got you," Jarod said when she began to rise. "Milk," he asked, fetching her a saucer.

"No, I have tea."

Tea?
And not scotch?
Hmm.

Jarod stared in disbelief at the tin in Sydney's refrigerator cowering behind Michele's store brand decaf and Sydney's matcha. Parker's tea promised tension relief, calm, sleep.

It was, evidently, a liar.

Jarod was tardy to arrive at the realization that the tin represented pieces—that he hadn't known were missing—of a puzzle he didn't know existed, but, nevertheless, suddenly felt compelled to solve.

"How is Sydney doing today?" Jarod asked, softly.

"His heart rate was elevated during his afternoon nap, but the monitor's been quiet since."

"Could be nightmares," mused Jarod.

"You're the doctor," Parker remarked with a noncommittal shrug. "Apparently."

"Uh-oh," Jarod said with a tight smile, "the secret's out."

"Traitor," Parker snarled.

Jarod gasped dramatically, said with a frown, "Ouch."

"Whatever," Parker returned dryly, feigning genuine hostility, performing so well, in fact, that Jarod couldn't be certain she didn't want to wound him. She smiled brightly, and observed Jarod relax. "At least you aren't a cop. My God, you almost convinced me that an actual police academy let you have a gun. Hilarious."

"Are you going to insult me all morning," Jarod asked with sheepish laughter.

"Mm, no, I have to sleep eventually," Parker answered sweetly.

"Hmm," Jarod hummed. "You should already be asleep."

"Yeah. I'm working on that one."

"Uh- did Nicholas leave already?"

"Mhn, I texted him to stay home with Willow. I covered his shift."

"Why did you do that?"

"Because she's his girlfriend, because she just found out she's pregnant."

"I hope the happy news will motivate Sydney to recover quickly," Jarod said, pouring a measure of coconut milk into a glass.

"Yeah," agreed Parker.

"So-- you've been having some trouble sleeping?" Jarod asked, solicitously, returning the carton to the refrigerator.

"Haven't we all?" Parker answered stiffly.

"Fair enough, but unlike you, Nicholas has taken a temporary leave of absence from work to be here at least six hours each day. You're in the process of cutting ties with a crime syndicate, and that requires tact."

"I have some idea of how eager you are to never have to look over your shoulder again. You don't have to worry about the Centre or the Triumvirate, all right?"

"That isn't what I'm worried about," Jarod said with some incredulity. "Look, I thought you agreed to the shift assignments."

"Right, the scheduling. Y'know, I find it odd that my shift is wedged, conveniently, between the daytime nurse's shift and Broots' so that your path and mine never intersect. Did you arrange that all by yourself, Jarod?"

"Considering the arrangement merely continues the existing tradition of our paths never intersecting, uh, no," he answered promptly, sitting across from her, "I suppose you could say I had quite a bit of help-- from you, which raises the question," Jarod continued, somberly, dropping his voice to a whisper, "why are you here now? Why are you doing this to yourself?"

Parker averted her eyes, smiled shrewdly. "Yeah, I have questions, too," She quietly disclosed. "Were you at the clinic last week?"

"No," Jarod answered indifferently. "Why? Has something happened?"

"I see," Parker remarked numbly. All too clearly. Much too late.

"I don't," Jarod said, cynically. "Tell me why you asked."

"Lyle was feeling paranoid."


"Lyle was," Jarod repeated thinly. "He, evidently, wasn't alone in his paranoia if you had to ask. Was he?"

"I walked right into that one, didn't I," Parker murmured with a grimace of distaste, lifting the cup to her lips.

"Not necessarily. I think you'll agree that reasonable suspicion is far more accurate than paranoia," Jarod whispered, sympathetically.

"Is that a confession?" Parker asked sharply, returning the cup to the table.

"No, but that was an accusation. What, exactly, are you accusing me of?" He asked, softly enunciating her name.

"Nearly three hundred recording devices were confiscated during the emergency security sweep I ordered last month."

"That's good news, right? I'm guessing those findings further justified the decision you made as interim director, and reinforced rumors that the Triumvirate and Centre are targets of international scrutiny, as well as a number of investigations. It's why you've encountered no resistance from the Tower. Or am I missing something?"

"How many of them are yours," Parker demanded hotly.

Jarod shook his head, advised with some solemnity, "The Centre probably should have hired new people years ago."

"Why the hell is that?"

"Because the ones who are working there now are incompetent," Jarod answered, simply.

Parker, incensed by the revelation, expelled a tremulous breath. 

"The bad news is they overlooked the obvious," Jarod continued, blithely. "The good news is that video of them overlooking the obvious—and continuing, as we speak, to overlook the obvious—would be quite a useful training tool for new Centre recruits uh, if you weren't shuttering the place."

"Just to be clear, you're saying that you are still recording."

"Yes, that's correct."

Parker drew a breath, shook her head in disgust. "Tell me, Jarod, how many of your devices, exactly, am I going to find in my office?"

"None. I tampered with the Centre's existing intercom system to keep myself a few steps ahead of you, uh, give or take a step," Jarod explained, and observed as Parker's eyes hardened. 

"I made it easy for you to evade me indefinitely," Parker snarled quietly, exercising admirable restraint, "when I stopped chasing you."

"Yes," Jarod agreed, "despite the apparent risk to yourself. There were established rules regarding your safety, unspoken ones, and you broke them, and forced me to take measures I ordinarily wouldn't have.

I run. You chase. I held up my end of the deal. You didn't. When Broots arrived, alone, in Tualatin, two months after -after the morning you left the loft I realized that audio alone was insufficient, that I needed eyes inside the Centre at all times to ensure your office was secure, that an explosive device wasn't planted, that Raines wasn't plotting to murder you--- the same way he murdered your mother.

I don't understand how you can be surprised that I care about you. Did I neglect to make it clear to you? Did I?"

Parker, exasperated, closed her eyes tightly. "You---you patched into the Centre after I stopped chasing you? So," Parker mused with a quiet, mirthless snort, "Damned if I did, damned if I didn't?"

"You and I were both damned," Jarod asserted bitterly, and continued with eerily icy calm, "You were trained to hate me regardless of what I did or didn't do, but all I ever wanted to do was protect you, and I'd do it again if I had to live it over. I will never apologize for that."

Parker leaned forward, planted her elbows on the table and her head in her hands.

"And that bothers you," Jarod observed dispiritedly. "Why?"

"My home, car, mobile, landline?" Parker asked, massaging her left temple with a thumb. "Are there cameras here, too, and in Michele's house, Nick's? Broots?"

"No. I haven't installed devices of any kind in your home or car, or here, or anywhere."

"Hours after I retrieved Lyle from the hospital specifically to avoid police involvement you broke into my house and told me you weren't enthusiastic about police involvement either. Either you're lying about listening devices or you were physically in my home when the nurse called. Which is it?"

"Neither," Jarod answered guilelessly. "I don't deny that I've made mistakes. I lost control-- just as you anticipated I would in the event that Sydney was harmed in some way. No," he amended carefully, "I suppose that's not entirely accurate. My reaction wasn't nearly as extreme as the dossier you composed warned it'd be."

"You read it," Parker said with an expression of distaste.

"Hmm, it was quite the riveting piece of fiction. It's true that I love Sydney, and I was angry and afraid enough to want to kill the person responsible for his disappearance. So were you, if I recall correctly. Neither of us killed Ray, however. And I didn't need to listen to your conversation with that nurse to know what would be said. You both adhered to protocol. She freed up another bed and resources, and you protected the Centre from police involvement and subsequent publicity. And I made it possible for you to suspect me of listening. Like I said, reasonable suspicion."

"Are you suggesting that you predicted my behavior?"

"No, of course not," Jarod answered amiably, and then frowned and asked, "Is that why you're here and not at home? Because you're afraid I'm watching you, afraid to go home?"

Parker's answering laugh was mirthless, strained. "Wasn't making me afraid your intention?"

Jarod reflexively drew back from Parker's words, stared in disbelief at her. When he was able to speak his voice trembled. "No, that wasn't my intention. You've been here all month, haven't you? I didn't see your car out-" Jarod said, and fell promptly silent. After a few moments, he rejoined quietly, "Did Broots drop you off?"

"Uber," Parker answered, succinctly. "Afterwards, Michele insisted that I drive her car."

"Because you're car is-- " Jarod faltered, asked carefully, "in the shop?"

"Something like that," Parker answered crisply.

The pair, exhausted from the interrogation, sat in silence. Disarmed by humility and bewildered, Parker picked at the doughnut, heedlessly mutilating it.

Jarod stared at the untouched glass, brooding reflectively and gracefully enduring—perhaps even indulging—self-reproach.

He spoke first, repeated remorsefully, "You've been living here for a month. That means," he added delicately, "you've had the opportunity to look at the files. I was hoping you wouldn't have any trouble with the laptop or passwords."

Parker pressed her fingertips together, swept away powdered sugar. Her anger had completely dissolved. She wasn't certain what had taken its place, or if she even wanted to know.

"Laptop?" She asked.

"You didn't see the note I left you?"

Parker answered Jarod with a somber shake of head, observed his nod of comprehension, his attempts to conceal unease.

"Then you're probably wondering why there's a laptop set up in the library, and about the contents of the note I just mentioned."

"I assumed Nick was bringing work with him."

"Consider the laptop a gift," Jarod said, noting Parker's surprise and confusion. He continued, gently, "I completed the conversion of the audio, image, and video files I stole from the Centre."

"Aww, honey," purred Parker, "you shouldn't have."

"The note I left contains a brief explanation, simple instructions, passwords."

"Well," Parker returned with a snort of incredulity, "thank you?"

"I know you probably aren't eager to revisit the past, but it's important that you know the truth, regardless of-"

"My, we're awfully fucking presumptuous this morning," Parker interrupted fiercely, silencing Jarod. She felt marginally unmoored from reality, and loathed the feeling. "You know about the aversion therapy, about-- everything, don't you?"

"Everything?" Jarod repeated wearily. "No. I know that I saw some images, uh, including one of drug vials, and I read Raines' personal notes. I know he was training you to kill me, that what he did to you should never be referred to as therapy." Jarod drew a tremulous breath, and confessed, "I know that I'm relieved-- no, I'm glad," he amended despondently, "that he's dead."

Jarod stopped himself from confiding a darker truth to Parker, that he believed he'd kill Raines if he were still alive. He feared the truth would frighten Parker; it certainly frightened him

"And that's all I know with any amount of certainty. I don't know why you shut down. I don't know why you haven't killed me, or why you were planning to leave the country with me. I don't know why you're here now. I-" Jarod fell silent for a moment, and frowned deeply. With an inquisitive tilt of head, he continued, puzzled, "I don't know how you know about Raines' enhanced and sadistic torture measures if you haven't seen or read any of the files."

With a rueful expression Parker haltingly announced, "I think this is where I'm supposed to apologize to you."

"For," Jarod sang with a warm smile, "believing I'm a perverted scopophiliac? Or for accusing me of being vindictive and punishing you by avoiding you? Or for believing that my one true passion in life is to terrorize you-- every single day of yours?"

"Yeah," Parker answered somewhat sheepishly. "It sounds absolutely preposterous, and not at all like me."

"You should probably know that I only stayed away from you because it's what you wanted."

Parker averted her gaze, and announced, dully, to the emptiness, "And he made it worse."

"I don't want to do that," Jarod whispered. "Seven hundred eighty three."

"Seven hundred- what?" Parker asked.

"You voiced doubts seven hundred and eighty three times. You said you were confused, that everything was changing too quickly, that confusion was an understatement."

"And you kept count?" She asked. "Mm, no," she added with a sardonic purr, "that isn't weird at all."

Jarod grinned. "I've had a decade to reflect. If anyone should apologize it's me. I didn't listen to you until you ran away, and even then I was certain-"

"What," Parker prompted when Jarod suddenly fell silent.

"Nothing. I'm sorry," Jarod stammered apologetically, lowering his gaze to the table that separated him from Parker. He was acutely cognizant that so much more than a piece of furniture stood between them, and, in hindsight, appreciated Parker's exactitude.

"Nothing my ass," Parker rebutted, hotly. "What is it? More bad news?"

"Of course not. You know that I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings."

"Oh, yeah, since when?" Parker remarked tartly, and observed Jarod's sudden apprehension. She laughed quietly in response, melting the renewed tension. "You were saying?"

"It's just---that a lot has happened in an awfully short amount of time."

"It's called life, Jarod. What were you going to say?"

"Look," he said reluctantly, "You don't owe me a reason, or the truth. I only ask that you don't lie to me again, or-"

"Wait," Parker interrupted, lifting her hand fractionally from the table. "Are you implying I'm a liar?"

"No," Jarod answered softly with a curt head-shake. "I'm not implying. You conveniently blamed Willie for not returning that morning. That was a lie. You weren't late. You never returned, and I know that because I waited for you. I continued not to listen to you. I was confident you'd come back, so confident, in fact, that I waited eleven months"

"There wasn't a way back," Parker asserted emphatically.

Jarod recoiled from Parker's words, stung and stunned in equal measures. He exhaled a breath, insisted, tearfully, "There is always a way back."

"I didn't see one," Parker confided quietly, "not after leaving that way, and you're wrong, you idiot: the least I owe you is a reason."

Jarod steeled himself, and waited, expectantly, to finally know the answer to a question that had haunted him for a decade.

"But there isn't one," Parker offered meekly. "I didn't even think. I just left, and a day became a week, a year became five, and-and now," Parker drew a breath, marveled at time's swift passage. "Ten years," she exclaimed weakly. "How the hell did that happen? We were-- just talking about rafting the Yoshina, and- and parasailing in Pattaya."

"And sand-boarding in Swakopmund," Jarod contributed softly.

"Skiing in Val-d'Isère," Parker said with a somewhat regretful groan.

"Sleeping under the stars in Étretat."

"Tree camping in eastern Normandy."

"Living in a moated chateau in central Montauban," Jarod murmured.

"Mm," Parker purred. "Sold. How soon can we leave?"

The pair shared smiles that were warm, heavy with sorrow, filled with longing.

"Not soon enough," Jarod said with a deep frown, "was always the answer to that question."

"Yeah," Parker whispered, caressing her empty cup with a finger. "It was a good answer."

"Yes," Jarod agreed wistfully, "but not the correct one, evidently."

Parker coveted Jarod's piercing certitude, and was, surprisingly, wounded by it, by the tenderness in his voice, and truth's immutable brutality.

Her struggle to maintain a placid expression seemed to scream its objections, negate Jarod's statement.

Parker fashioned a smile, swallowed words that were ten years too late, and rose. "I promised Michele I'd call her with an update when you arrived."

Jarod nodded, observed Parker's departure, counted receding footfalls.

"No," Jarod silently murmured Parker's name, "I don't believe me either."

Chapter 17 by Mirage







Dawn broke overcast and brisk, and was accompanied by a muted, relentless rain. Jarod observed the murkiness spill from beneath heavily draped windows, and pool onto the hand-knotted rug, and deduced that the remainder of the day would be no brighter.

He loosened the blood pressure cuff and hastily recorded Sydney's diastolic and systolic into a notebook, alongside pulse and other vitals.

Pressing an index finger to the bridge of his nose, Jarod contemplated the numbers on the page and a third cup of coffee, and deliberately chose not to focus on updating Michele, not immediately, not while Sydney continued to silently sulk about nearly falling during early morning physical therapy.

"Irrational," Sydney groused, jarring to full alertness.

"What is?" Jarod asked.

"These nightmares. The rain is in no way similar to leaking faucets and pipes. It's barely audible."

Jarod flipped on the wall light switch to fully illuminate the room. "The vagaries of the human brain are often perplexing," he said with a sympathetic smile.

"Hmm, yes, I know the terms, and that I'm still experiencing symptoms of PTSD. I advise all of my patients to voice umbrage, own their feelings. I believe I should do the same."

"You should, and it's a lovely day for it." Jarod opened the drapes to reveal the fine mist falling from a leaden sky. "It's going to be five in the morning all day, or at least it's going to look like it is." He went briefly into the bathroom and collected a shaving kit and a towel dampened with hot water.

Jarod promptly offered the latter to Sydney, observed as he lay it upon his face, but not before Sydney said with a meaningful look at the window, "I'm eager to go out there, return to my work."

"Work," Jarod repeated, dully. "Your work helping Lyle?"

"I'd say it's better late than never," Sydney answered remorsefully, "but that would be rather disingenuous of me, and it's evident that my attempts to help him were futile. Lyle, after all, killed a man."

"Ray was a serial child rapist. He was the proverbial monster in Lyle's closet."

"Raines kept his monster on a short chain," Sydney said, angrily, "and unleashed him on Lyle each time he defied him."

"You helped Lyle find the courage to face his demon."

"I helped Lyle," corrected Sydney somberly, "slay his demon, Jarod; that was never my intention. I'm sorry I failed him, and that you and Miss Parker discovered the truth this way."

"I discovered that you no longer call her Miss Parker," Jarod said with an impish grin, preparing the shaving cream and brush. He and Nicholas shared these duties, often alternated days, helping Sydney shave, bathe, dress. Sydney rarely resisted their help anymore.

His hands sometimes trembled, his legs sometimes refused to support him. He was still healing. Those were merely facts to be accepted, that he hadn't always accepted.

He'd been angry with his body's slow recovery, and hadn't particularly enjoyed the loss of independence, and had angrily conveyed as much to Parker one afternoon, overturning tea, and knocking clean cutlery to the floor.

Newsflash, Sydney: You're not suppose to enjoy it.

Parker had spoken plainly and succinctly, her voice clear and steady, empathizing, but in no way pitying him, and in no way blaming him.

Our bodies are assholes sometimes, Syd, and it fucking sucks.

She had not injected a negating but; she'd simply paused, allowed him to hear her, and continued.

There ain't a helluva lot of dignity in refusing help walking to the bathroom only to shit the bed either, y'know? And by the way, throwing a tantrum isn't all that fucking dignified either. You're entitled to this one. Next time I'm snitching to Michele. Soak up the tea with the napkins. I'll bring you another cup and a washcloth.

She'd returned with a washcloth and tea, wearing exhaustion and remorse on her face. It had hurt her deeply to scold him.

He had failed her terribly over the years, and, yet, she was the one demonstrating remorse. He believed, in fact, that he had failed his entire family. Oddly, his family refused to allow him to fail himself. He owed them his full recovery, his life, his gratitude.

He apologized for his outburst, vowed there'd never be another, and accepted help with a smile and thank-you, and was grateful for the good days when he was strong enough to stand on his own and when his hands didn't tremble violently, as they presently did.

"No, in fact, I haven't in years," Sydney answered softly. "I won't pretend to know what goes on inside her mind, Jarod, however, I've reason to believe she was afraid there wasn't room for both of you in my life, and, that, in the event of conflict, I would have chosen you and rejected her."

"Sydney," Jarod exclaimed quietly. "Why on earth would she believe that?"

The question, as well as the surprise in Jarod's voice, alarmed Sydney.

The Pretender was either ignoring compelling, and rather damning, evidence or he and Parker hadn't discovered the entire truth after all. Sydney considered clearing his conscience, confessing that his research had laid the groundwork for Oblivion, and the suffering it had caused. He had produced remarkable and verifiable results treating mental illnesses, treating Catherine, in clinical trials, and was en route to file for FDA approval when his work was confiscated by the Centre oversight committee.

Raines had claimed, with absolutely no basis that Sydney had rushed the research and that his treatment was fatal. The review board voted against Sydney's motion that they accompany him in the lab, study his research, witness the clinical trials, observe him produce identical results in each patient. Raines was permitted to hijack Sydney's work, misinterpret, pervert,  alter it, and call it Oblivion. The Director lauded Raines' Mirage project, and didn't want it compromised by the marked improvements in Catherine's health.

Sydney had been in no position to argue with the Director, war with Raines. He couldn't afford to risk termination, jeopardized the coveted Pretender project, lose Jarod.

"She knows I defied the Centre," Sydney answered, concealing perturbation, and ultimately choosing to bear his cross alone. "I lied to her, on numerous occasions during our professional relationship, to help you. I ignored atrocities perpetrated by Raines," he added carefully, "by others, to protect you. I think she envied you, Jarod. Two men in your life love and nurture you as their own. Two women adore and mother you. She lost Catherine when she most needed a mother, and her father, as you are aware---" Sydney's sorrowful voice dissolved to suggestive silence.

"Never really was," Jarod concluded bitterly, assisting Sydney in sitting. "I'm all too aware."

Sydney selected the shaving brush from the assembled items and untidily applied cream to his face. Jarod couldn't watch; it was too painful. Instead, he filled a ceramic bowl with hot water and a second one with cold water, and silently discarded the towel and stripped the bed of its sheets, pillows, and comforter.

Sydney made no attempt to shave himself and uttered no protest when Jarod lifted the razor and competently drew it across his flesh. He was acutely aware that if his cognitive impairments persisted his caretakers would forgo this treasured leisurely ritual, taught to Sydney by his fatherand taught to Jarod by Sydneyand opt to shave him with a cordless device. He wasn't looking forward to that day.

"A relationship with her involved certain conditions," Sydney added reluctantly. "Primarily, your comfort."

Jarod blinked wide, surprised by the revelation, and somewhat doubtful as well. He suspected that Parker attached conditions for her own comfort, because she feared an encounter with him, believed it would be much too painful.

"She was rather adamant that the ease and eagerness with which you visited, and the duration of those visits, was not disrupted. She has known, for decades, about Refuge; she insisted you have it. Please, Jarod, understand that adherence to her conditions was the only way to gain her trust."

"But," Jarod murmured quietly, dipping the blade into the hot water and lifting it Sydney's face again, "you did successfully gain her trust."

"I did," Sydney answered contentedly, anticipating Jarod's movements and stretching his neck to accommodate the blade, "I hope it doesn't cost me yours, Jarod."

"It won't."

"And that I never lose it," Sydney added, contritely. "Or hers. I know you have questions, Jarod, about her, Lyle, my involvement with Project Oblivion-"

"Sydney," Jarod interrupted wearily, gently finessing the blade along Sydney's neck, each stroke slow and precise, "all that matters right now is that you rest, recover." He smiled, chided gently, "It's true that doctors are the worst patients."

"And what about your patients, Doctor?" Sydney asked. "I told you four weeks ago that you don't have to stay."

"And then you began coughing violently, and then there were suspicions of esophageal perforation and pneumonia and other complications of incorrect NGT placement, force-feeding," Jarod said softly. "And two days later you had to be treated with plasmapheresis to remove toxins from your blood. Six days later you were treated for an eye infection. Eleven days later you were treated for a kidney infection. Thirteen days later you were treated for pneumonia. Eighteen days later there were fears you'd suffered a stroke. Twenty-three days later your temperature spiked. An hour ago you stumbled during physical therapy. You were just discharged from the hospital three days ago. I'm staying here until you make a complete recovery, Sydney, because I want to."

"You're just as stubborn as she is."

"I'm going to consider that a compliment," Jarod said, "and not tell her that you called her stubborn."

"Tell her," Sydney insisted. "I like the thought of you two speaking, and it's evident you do as well."

Jarod smiled warmly, and set aside the razor; later, after helping Sydney with a sponge bath and dressing the bed with fresh sheets, pillows, and comforter, he would wipe the blade with camellia oil and put it away.
Presently, he cradled the bowl filled with cold water, and observed as Sydney splashed his face.

"Don't you?" Sydney asked.

"It's complicated, Sydney," Jarod answered hesitantly.

"Uncomplicate it," Sydney said, gravely, retrieving and opening aftershave balm. He moistened his hands with the solution and patted his face and neck. "It's later than you think."

Jarod chuckled, said, "You're quoting Noël Coward now?"

"Guy Lombardo," Sydney corrected. "The Centre no longer dictates your life, Jarod. Or hers."

"Or yours, Sydney," Jarod reminded. "What are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to marry Michele," Sydney answered dryly. "If she'll have me."

"If?" Jarod was incredulous.

"There are some difficult conversations—conversations I've postponed, that Michele and I must have."

"What if she isn't--- amenable," Jarod said hesitantly, "to participating in those conversations? What if they are too painful?"

"I will have to be patient and trust that she will listen, eventually, and forgive me, and that together, in time, we'll heal the pain, and be stronger, either together or separately, because we confronted it." Sydney smiled warmly, added softly, "You know what you must do, Jarod, and you will. You've always made the correct decisions."

If that were true, Jarod mused silently, she wouldn't have fled, spent a decade avoiding me.

Sydney wasn't entirely mistaken.

There was one item on his agenda that required Jarod's immediate action, and after helping Sydney bathe, and into fresh clothes and sheets, he greeted the day nurse and left Sydney's home, mere minutes behind Parker.

Jarod pulled the car into the front parking area specifically reserved for guests, and, moments later, walked up the steps and into the Centre's empty atrium. He boarded a lift, ascended to the tower, and entered a small, empty boardroom. There, he unzipped a large duffel bad and removed from it a rifle. He adjusted the scope and waited for the Triumvirate's legal team to enter the adjacent boardroom and greet Parker.

Seeing, he would discover, wasn't always believing. He was certain she'd strolled into an ambush and was prepared to squeeze the trigger.

He wasn't, however, prepared when the attorneys thanked Parker for her discretion, and how quickly she'd neutralized the traitors and defused the situation.

The Raines situation.

The Ray situation.

The men couldn't even utter those names. Or their crimes. They didn't evoke The Pretender's name either or the crimes perpetrated against him.

Jarod, the long fabled chosen, had hospitalized Lyle on the basis of mere suspicion. The fresh and youthful Triumvirate council members had learned about the scrolls from their fathers and grandfathers, and knew that the Pretender was not a man to be trifled with, and, therefore couldn't comprehend why their blood relations had done precisely that.

After being apprised of Jarod's relocation to assist in Sydney's recovery, they'd voted to conduct their final piece of business via attorneys. None were keen to suffer Lyle's fate.

They believed their ancestors were fools for exposing themselves to danger, allying with the greedy American child abductors, for the abominable and unwelcome inheritance. They were ashamed of, and disappointed in, their violent predecessors, and insulted by the hoarded wealth and power.

The two remaining Triumvirate elders were naturally displeased with every decision the young ones reached, with their unanimous votes to undo all that their fathers and grandfathers had accomplished. They missed the old ways, the simpler times when they could commit atrocities with impunity and escape international scrutiny. They, however, shared the fear that news of Ray's crimes would be leaked to militaries and governments, and, perhaps more frightening, social media. The entire Triumvirate council had grown incredibly wary of public opinion, internet chatter, rabid conspiracy theorists.

Everyone had a camera now and access to a comprehensive social media platform with which to share damning photographs. Accountability culture scared the hell out of them.

The Triumvirate could control the narrative to only a small degree and claim they terminated Raines for his crimes, and that was no consolation. Jarod's source inside the council, a thirty-something technical specialist named Autumnwhose greatest professional accomplishment to date was establishing CosPlay Fridays in her Osaka officeinformed him, via email, that Triumvirate brass had, for weeks, subsisted solely on a liquid diet of bismuth subsalicylate.

The potential fallout wasn't unforeseen. Triumvirate elders had, in 2008, scrambled to create a task force that would feed the insatiable masses a meaty rumor to sink their teeth into, typically following an assassination or small, surgical strike, to draw attention away from themselves.

They'd been mightily disappointed in the rather irrational creatures who had, years later, gobbled up their bait, and, with no evidence whatsoever, followed the scent to an unsuspecting American pizza establishment whose only crime was offering pineapple as a topping.

Displeased with the sloppiness, the needless wet works, the elders had since dissolved the task force, and endeavored to be more careful, to entirely avoid catastrophe- such as the present one.

Raines had been hoisted with his own petard; the monster he had created had ended him. Triumvirate council members feared they'd suffer a similar fate. They envisioned guillotines, their own severed heads.

Jarod didn't doubt their fear, however, he didn't believe they were too afraid to fly to the states and personally meet with Parker or afraid enough to permanently relinquish custody of their American hellchild, the Centre, after decades of fostering it and carefully grooming everyone inside of it to obey them without question.

He struggled with a single fundamental truth: the new generation harbored extremely differently aspirations and perspectives, they loathed violence, and wanted the old ways to die with the elderly. Their goal, after witnessing seemingly endless bloodshed in war-torn countries, was peace.

The three men were nothing if not apologetic and were eager to return to their families in Osaka, Johannesburg, and London, respectively. Armed with their mobiles and a Nintendo Switch or two they strode warily out of the boarding room, taking with them Parker's firm reminder that ten decades' worth of evidence would materialize on the desk of every media outlet and law enforcement agency if the Triumvirate ever reneged on their little peace treaty.

Jarod disassembled the weapon, returned it to the duffel, expelled a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. What the hell just happened here?

He swung his gaze across the corridor, waited for Parker to exit the boardroom.

"Care to join me, Jarod," Parker called, "or do you prefer to watch?"

Jarod closed his eyes, murmured, "Shit."

"I heard that," Parker sang authoritatively.

Grudgingly, and with a sheepish smile, Jarod joined Parker in the boardroom, observed her expression of exasperation.

"How did you know?" He asked.

"Oh, no, you don't get to ask questions. Why were you hiding in the other room with a rifle?"

Jarod answered with a resigned smile and slow head shake, "I can't ask questions at all and you can't stop asking questions you already the know the answer to." He pulled a wheeled leather chair from the table, and wearily sat. "Why are we like this?"

Parker grinned, pressed her head to the wall behind her. "I don't know, but it probably has something to do with the Centre fucking us up." She unclasped her hands, parted them in small flourish. "But the kids are all right."

"It almost makes sense," Jarod said, "that after being wrongfully accused of killing malls, marriage, the fine dining and fashion industries, the careers of numerous sex offenders, in-person voting and the housing market Millennials would be single-handedly responsible for killing the Triumvirate."

"It makes absolute sense that children who break generational curses are discredited and villainized by blame-shifting adults."

Jarod nodded in agreement. "Children are the perfect scapegoats. If they try to defend themselves they're accused of disrespecting their elders, and if they try to walk away they're threatened, made to feel guilty for things that aren't their fault, manipulated to stay by rare displays of affection, and-"

Parker interrupted crisply, "You've said enough."

"It wasn't a generational curse," Jarod argued softly. "There are no curses. It was emotional abuse. That's the point I-"

"There is no point," Parker said, flatly. "There's no Centre. And Daddy's dead. His motives, whatever they were, are no longer relevant."

"Oh, but they are. You're still blaming yourself for things that aren't your fault."

"Such as?"

"Sydney's abduction. You were in the emergency waiting area, and not with your family,  because you felt-"

"Responsible," Parker interrupted brusquely. "Yeah, I did, because I am responsible, and when we were ascending the stairs-- it was like I was watching my greatest hits of mistakes unfurl before me." She expelled the words forcefully with a grimace of disgust and walked the length of the room.

"Mistakes?" Jarod asked.

"Where the hell do I even begin?" Parker murmured. "If I hadn't retired Sydney he would have been at work."

"Not at that hour," Jarod said. "Raines is responsible for Sydney's abduction and Ray's death, not you."

"Hell, if you and I had left, as planned," Parker continued matter-of-factly, "Sydney wouldn't have even been in Blue Cove. Ray wouldn't have found him."

Jarod's face twisted in disbelief. He breathlessly exclaimed, Christ, and Parker's name. "Is that what you believe? My God," he murmured quietly. "I suppose this explains, to some extent, why you shut down."

"Stop being so fucking dramatic, Jarod. I didn't shut down. I was sleep deprived and consumed with guilt. I sat. I rested. It happens. I didn't want to go upstairs; I felt unworthy."

"Why didn't you confide in me?"

Parker laughed mirthlessly. "I gave up my right to do that ten years ago when I walked away from you and didn't look back."

"No, you didn't. That's absurd, and you know it. We're still friends," Jarod asserted. "We always have been."

Parker drew a chair from the table and promptly deposited herself into it. She drew a breath, folded her arms across her chest. "Some fucking friend I've been to you. I don't call, I don't text, I chased you with a gun, and I didn't even say goodbye when I left. You deserve better than-"

"And now you've said enough," Jarod intoned, sharply.

"I'll decide that for myself," Parker returned haughtily. Ultimately, she evidently agreed that she had, indeed, said enough. She noted the smile curving Jarod's lips and her eyes hardened. "The hell are you grinning about, asshole," she said in a deceptively placid voice.

"You," Jarod answered. "I've missed this. I've missed you."

Parker scoffed. "Right," she purred.

"You're appalled," Jarod said. "Why is that?"

"I thought you'd hate me. If I were you I'd hate me."

Jarod frowned deeply, and said with a negating head-shake, "No. In fact, I was more afraid for you than hurt or angered by you when you left me and disappeared to?"

Parker lowered her gaze to the black granite inlay. The conversation presently taking place with Jarod at the unsuspecting oval conference table was far more torturous than any she had endured at the infamous T-shaped monstrosity down in the sublevels.

"To where ever it was you disappeared," Jarod continued delicately. "When Sydney called and said you'd taken some time off from work I was relieved. It was nice to fall asleep again and not wake up screaming."

Parker closed her eyes. She'd believed, until then, that she couldn't feel more remorseful.

"I had feared I'd get the other call, and couldn't stop imagining--" Jarod noted her apparent misery and mercifully swallowed the remaining words. "I didn't hate you," he whispered, loathing the resignation in his voice while commending his finesse. He'd been entirely honest, and had also, for Parker's sake, concealed the entirety of the truth. Jarod refused to burden her, tell her he was still elated and relieved that she'd broken his heart, broken only his heart, and hadn't shattered his mind and crushed his soul as well, and that his love for her simply didn't have the good sense to draw a final breath and die. "I could never hate you."




Chapter 18 by Mirage









The service was brief, and probably, Parker mused, what he would have wanted. Beneath a small green tent she listened intently and tearlessly, and stared through dark-tinted Cartiers at the walnut casket poised for interment.

"We therefore commit this body to the ground," the priest said, his voice clear and strong despite his age and failing health, "earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in sure and certain hope of the resurrection to eternal life."

She should have been thinking of him, the man lying inside the closed casket, the life he'd led. At least, thought Parker, he's at peace now. And that's a helluva lot more than I can say about myself.

Parker's thoughts, instead, were of Michele, seemingly insurmountable grief, a damp, frigid void where peace should have been. "I wasted so much time," she had tearfully confided to Parker, "so many years that I could have spent with Sydney. He wanted us to marry, and I wish we had. I wish we had. How different our lives would be now."

Parker pressed a trembling finger to her lips, demanded mutely that she promptly take control of her emotions.

He and I can't ever get those years back.

Parker lowered her head, closed tear-filled eyes, and abandoned all pretenses of listening to the priest. Suspecting as much, the man dropped his voice to a whisper, and quietly concluded the service.

Several moments later, and with an amiable smile, he informed her gently, "Take all the time you need."

With the aid of a cane he walked to his car, leaving Parker alone with a corpse, regrets.

She was more perturbed than surprised when her mobile vibrated in the pocket of her slacks. Her perturbation grew exponentially when she answered with a hollow what.

"That," Jarod said dully, "is certainly the question. What are you doing?"

Parker revolved her eyes, murmured softly, "Willow's a fucking snitch."

"If she wasn't vomiting right now I'd let you tell her that yourself, but morning sickness being what it is-"

"Taking advantage of pregnancy hormones is beneath you, Jarod."

"Why did you arrange a funeral service for Ray? You know what he did to Sydney, what he did to your brother and-"

"I know what the Centre did to all of us," Parker asserted brusquely. "You don't get to play favorites with Centre victims, indulge double standards. If I'm not responsible for the things I've done to you and your family, if you aren't responsible for nearly beating Lyle to death it's also true that Lyle isn't entirely responsible for his crimes, and neither is Ray."

Jarod closed his eyes, murmured Jesus and Parker's name, and pushed his left hand over his face. "This is about Sydney, isn't it? You read the files, didn't you? If you know the truth you also know all of the implications as well, and that he wanted to protect us both, and when he couldn't do that-"

"He did the next best thing," Parker interrupted fiercely, "and taught you not to hate me--- the way Daddy and Raines taught me to hate you, and that's probably the only reason I'm alive now."

"No," Jarod argued, emphatically, "no, Sydney didn't have to teach me not to hate you. He knows I love you, and that I-" Jarod fell silent abruptly, and after a moment whispered her name. He examined the mobile, confirmed his suspicions that she had, indeed, ended the call, and groaned a nearly inaudible, "Damn it." 

"You love her?" Willow's voice was soft and filled with astonishment.

Jarod turned abruptly, observed as Willow joined him on the flagstone wearing her bathrobe and a sympathetic smile.

"What did you say?" He asked.

"You love her," repeated Willow, gently.

"How-" Jarod stammered.

"You shouted it," Willow explained, "on the phone just now. That was her you were shouting at, wasn't it?"

Jarod lowered his gaze, forcefully expelled a breath. "Oh, my god," he whispered, dropping his stunned gaze to the device in his hand. "That," Jarod said, shaking his head in an evident struggle to process his actions, "that was a mistake, an accident."

Willow lounged on a cushioned bench and pressed a damp cloth to her forehead. She shook her head, consoled sternly, "Love isn't a mistake, Jarod."

"Telling her," clarified Jarod, "was the mistake."

"Then you do love her?"

"Always," Jarod confessed in strained, agonized voice, and drew a sharp breath. "That conversation slipped into present tense. It shouldn't have."

"Is this why things didn't work out with--ah, shoot," Willow exclaimed with a frown. "I have pregnancy brain. What was her name?"

"Nia?" Jarod offered helpfully.

"Her, too. They were all beautiful, really, and all obviously in love with you, but, no, I'm talking about the redhead."

Jarod laughed dismissively, and said with an indignant snort, "When I told you Rachel was a friend I meant it."

"Rachel indicated," Willow rebutted cynically, "she was more than your friend- much more."

"There was nothing," Jarod explained in a hollow voice that Willow didn't recognize, "nothing left to give Rachel or Nia, or anyone else, not--- not after what happened with-" Jarod's voice dissolved to silence.

Willow frowned, moistened her lips. "Nothing left?" She asked, carefully. "You sound like you're talking about death, instead of an argument and a break up."

Jarod nodded thoughtfully, and deposited himself into an iron rocker. "But it didn't die, and there was no argument, break up, or goodbye. She left. She didn't come back. It was abrupt and," Jarod added in a tight, halting voice, "traumatic," he continued forcefully, "for us both."

"Traumatic," Willow repeated, carefully. "You're one of my dearest friends, Jarod, and Nick's best friend. You're going to be our baby's godfather."

"But?" Jarod asked.

"Why didn't I know this? You and her. Wow, Jarod. Sweetie, you're like a shell of yourself when you talk about this, like a part of you died. Nothing left? But, you know, I find all of this secrecy wildly bizarre."

Jarod frowned, sought clarification. "All?"

"Hers, too. The pleas for secrecy, that we ask no questions. What?"

"Hmm, so it was her idea that you all join her in the deception," concluded Jarod in a tight, wounded voice.

"Deception," Willow countered, sharply, "would have been crashing Christmas dinner with sweepers and guns. No one did that to you, Jarod, and-" she fell silent, briefly, when Jarod's mobile chirped. "Is that her?"

Jarod studied the message, and rose. "Uh, no, it isn't. I'm so sorry, but I have to go."

"You'll be back for dinner? Sydney wants you both there."

"I wouldn't miss it, but, uh, don't be angry at her if she does. Try to explain it to Sydney, and try to drink more fluids."

"You mean make up some excuse for her," Willow said. "My god, Jarod, you do love her. You should tell her. You should be at the cemetery with her right now."

"I should be," Jarod agreed.

But instead I'm being summoned by her homicidal brother.

Richard Steltzer waited eagerly in the parking garage, and his smile and friendly wave did little to allay Jarod's dread.

"Please tell me he hasn't hurt himself."

"He hasn't," Richard hastily assured Jarod. The pair bypassed all security checks, and hastily strode to Richard's quaint office. "In fact, he's quite happy, elated."

Jarod swung his gaze at Richard. "You make it sound like bad news."

"I wouldn't use that particular label. It's not bad. It's simply unexpected. He's manic, Jarod. Initially, we thought it was a random surge of energy, that he was trying to burn off some residual anger and pain from his sister's visit. He washed the entirety of his living quarters, walls included, reorganized closets, and he talks constantly. He asked for paint supplies several days ago, and has since decided he's Picasso, and unstoppable. He doesn't seem to care that he's institutionalized, and cannot leave. He's barely sleeping."

"That's a hell of a pivot."

"Indeed. This was all preceded by weeks of depression, suicide ideation. We ran tests to eliminate other illnesses, but I had my suspicions, considering the family history of manic-depressive illness, environmental risk factors, and the abuse-related head trauma he sustained when he was with the Bowmans."

"Have you officially diagnosed him?"

"Mhm. He wept and disagreed when I explained the bipolar diagnosis to him, and maintains that he's insane and deserves to die."

"You'll have to forgive me for not arguing with his logic."

"He hurt you, Jarod," Richard said with some solemnity. "You don't need to be forgiven for how you feel about being hurt. No one will blame you for leaving if this is too painful for you."

"This? What is this? Why am I here, Richard?"

"He's asking to see you, says he wants to talk."

"About?"

"He won't say. He's asked to see his sister, too. She, unfortunately, hasn't responded to any of my messages. I don't want to tell her via voice mail that I've diagnosed her brother with BD," Richard explained, pausing briefly to complete a retina scan, "but I am contractually obligated to disclose all developments to her, Lyle's next of kin, regardless of how discomposing all of this might be for her." 

"Ah, so she was just as evasive and skeptical as I said she'd be," Jarod said, pulling open a heavy, stainless steel door, and entering Richard's office. "And a little bit paranoid as well."

"To say the least. I'm certain that she has no intention of visiting again. "

"Why do you say that?" Jarod asked, and, eagerly prompted Richard to expound. "I'm listening, Richard."

Richard dropped himself into his leather chair, and met Jarod's gaze. "Yes, I know you are, and I'm legally bound to say no more."

The pretender nodded his understanding, and smiled to conceal his disappointment.

"Lyle isn't," Richard added tactfully, and observed as Jarod, poised to sit opposite him, faltered, "and, as I stated, he's rather loquacious at the moment. A conversation with him might be mutually beneficial."

Jarod straightened to his full height, and excused himself, against his better judgment, to meet with Lyle. He was convinced there was nothing Parker's brother could possibly say or do to benefit him or anyone, and that no amount of insight Lyle could offer was worth enduring a conversation with him.

There was barely a conversation at all.

Parker's brother greeted Jarod cheerfully, "Por fin, Jarod, usted me honra con su presencia," and, with paint brush in hand, bowed ingratiatingly. Do you want something to drink? Wine? Sex on a beach? Ha! Joke. How about just the beach? I have orange juice. Steltzer holds his juice in terribly high regard. It's in the fridge. Help yourself. How is Sydney? Did he forget about his star patient? Or is there some other reason he hasn't visited?"

Jarod pushed his hands into the pockets of his grey trousers, and swallowedand nearly chokedon disdain. "He's regaining his strength."

"Ever heard of wheelchairs? And speaking of chairs, Jarod, you can sit. Unlike my sister I don't bite. The people I killed deserved it. Even the Tower and Triumvirate brass distanced themselves from the Centre when they discovered Raines' relationships with sexual predators. Even murderers for hire and child abductors despise child predators, and it's inexplicably gratifying that we, you, I, my dear sister, the Zulu giants, the stiffs in the tower, and most humans on this planet have reached consensus on that point. It instills a real sense of unity to know that, despite often trivial divisions, everyone hates a goddamn child rapist.

Where was I," Lyle said, retrieving a cardboard palette and swirling his square-shaped safety brush into the paint. "Wheelchairs. Oh, you're going to just stand there, and decline my invitation to sit. Hmm, interesting. Displays a lack of trust. Discomfort. I can't say that I blame you, but if I recall correctly you nearly beat me to death, not the other way around. I'd go to Sydney, but, as you can see, I'm enthusiastically pursuing my passions here at l'Institut des Beaux-arts, and I can't emphasize institute strongly enough. Well played, Jarod. You win. I'm in my space for the rest of my life, and you're free. Now bring Sydney to me."

"In time, Lyle."

"Time? Sure. Why not? I've got plenty of that, and plenty of nontoxic finger paint. Apparently, I have to earn the right to use oils like a big boy. Tell me, Jarod, is my sister feeling any better?"

Jarod look askance at Lyle. "What do you mean better?"

"Don't ever play chicken with my twisted twin sibling, Jarod," Lyle cautioned cryptically, frowning in evident concern. "She doesn't swerve."

"What?" Jarod stammered in apparent confusion.

"If anything should happen to her," Lyle interrupted thickly, seizing the wet canvas and thrusting it at Jarod, "you'll live to regret it."

Jarod lowered his gaze to the painting, reluctantly accepted it, opened his mouth to inquire.

Lyle turned away abruptly, and shouted, "We're done here, Steltzer."

Jarod compressed his lips and grudgingly withdrew. A long way from done, Jarod mused.

Back in the garage, the pretender briefly glimpsed Lyle's painting when he carefully deposited it into the trunk. He assumed Lyle was trying to tell a story, but he didn't know what the story was; he had no doubt that Parker would know, and that she wouldn't like it. 

While he drove, he attempted to decrypt the deliberate taunts, the hints. If anything should happen to her, Jarod repeated Lyle's words with a snort of annoyance. "Too little too late," he murmured sotto voce. "And I'm already living to regret it."

In fact, Jarod had discovered that there was something new to regret each day. In addition to his tête-à-tête with Lyle, he was already regretting dinner, Parker's absence, and Willow's hastily assembled excuses for the aforementioned absence.

He was fully prepared to come to Parker's defense. Something, after all, had compelled her to avoid him, and it still hadn't been resolved, or even voiced.

Something was wrong, regardless of how many other things had gone, and would go, wrong, and Sydney knew, better than anyone, that additional trauma, such as his abduction, didn't eclipse or supplant prior trauma. Sydney knew.

Parker, however, hadn't received that particular memorandum. She was in Sydney's dining room, spooning Castelvetrano olives onto the charcuterie platter that she was composing, and was entirely unaware that Jarod had arrived, and rushed into the sitting room, trying to outrun nausea, or at least meet it civilly in the guest bathroom. He longed to shower, scrub away the emotional pollution that often accompanied an encounter with Lyle, and perhaps sample a bottle from Sydney's cherished Glenfiddich collection.

The sight of Parker had brought Jarod's legs to an ungainly halt, and Jarod believed it was unfair and illogical, and also perfectly reasonable, that the hard block of years and distance could melt away with such indifferent rapidity, as if ten years hadn't elapsed, and the hollowness and longing between, the entirety of the painful interregnum, had been only his hellish dream.

He lowered his gaze when Parker pivoted out of his line of sight, and continued to the guest bedroom. Ultimately, he forewent the ninety proof palate cleanse. The nausea had, he realized, subsided the moment he'd seen Parker.

Jarod feared the opposite was true for her, that she saw his face and instantly felt repulsed, and until recently didn't understand why.

He'd survived shock torture, water torture, isolation torture. Relationships and phobias, real and imagined, had been exploited, and Centre swill certainly was no cakewalk.

His agony, both the physical and psychological, regardless of how innovative and traumatizing, always concluded; it was the one certainty in an uncertain and painful world, the only rule of torture inside the Centre. It ended. It always ended, and there was always comfort in its end.

Contrarily, the aversion torture that Parker had endured was an entirely different, and truly inescapable, chamber of hell. It was self-perpetuating, transcended walls and years, and even the sadistic torturer himself. The only comfort to be found in that particular variety of torture had belonged solely to Raines', the comfort of its perpetuity.

But, oddly, Parker didn't seem repulsed at all when Jarod joined her and Broots in the kitchen, and appeared to entertain no compulsion to fetch her gun and make him stay away.

"Do you two need any help in here?" Jarod asked.

"Not unless you're volunteering to help with the dishes after dinner," Parker said.

"It just so happens that dishes are my expertise," Jarod playfully boasted.

"If Gianna hears you say that," Broots cautioned Jarod, "you'll never see the outside of her kitchen again. Never."

"Ah, Broots," Jarod returned with a light chuckle, "you underestimate how much I love food, which is often found in kitchens."

"I'll wash, you dry," Parker interjected, just prior to returning to the dining room.

Kitchen duty had never been so appealing. Jarod wanted dinner to be over quickly, and when it finally was, and he was alone with Parker, he wanted to prolong the washing and drying, and be alone with her for a little while longer.

Jarod volunteered for kitchen duty the following day as well, and the next, and the remainder of the week, and he and Parker naturally began gravitating to the bistro table in the kitchen with their cups of tea, and sometimes a scone, and staying up late talking and laughing- until, perhaps inevitably, the laughter died.

"Ah, impeccable timing," Jarod announced brightly when Parker strode into the kitchen, and began filling a kettle with water. "This is the last one," he said, lifting the plate triumphantly, and putting it away. "Is Michele okay?"

"Emotional," Parker answered tremulously. "This is the first time Sydney has walked down the stairs to dinner, and back up to his bedroom, unassisted, since the abduction."

"I told you we would get him through this," Jarod reminded softly, preparing cups and strainers, "and we will."

"Yeah," Parker returned softly, and something in her voice prompted Jarod to turn, and ask, "What's wrong?"

Parker's eyes widened, briefly, in surprise. She answered, stiffly, "Why do you ask?"

Jarod smiled, countered gently, "Why do you evade?"

"Because evading is significantly more acceptable than lying," Parker answered lightly. "I'm not evading," she added hastily. "That question came out of nowhere, and there are no easy answers."

"I don't recall specifying easy answers only."

"Jarod, I'm not certain that an answer exists," Parker argued thickly, and, with some effort cleared her throat artificially to conceal her emotions. "Michele won't stop talking about wasted years and regrets, and I god," she exclaimed softly, and observed Jarod's frown of concern deepen. She averted her eyes, confessed quietly, "I don't think anything has ever resonated more with me."

"Sydney survived, and he's made remarkable progress," Jarod gently assured Parker, and then dropped his voice to a whisper, and, addressed by name. "It's going to be okay."

"What if it isn't? We can't get ever those years back, no one can, and some of us have to live our entire lives with regret."

"But she won't. She wishes she'd been here with Sydney, and now she is, and she'll spend the rest of her life knowing that, regardless of what happens, she didn't take this second chance with him for granted. Like I said, it's going to be okay."

Parker negated his words with a weary head-shake, and said glumly, "It's a helluva lot more complicated than that."

"How so?" Jarod asked.

Parker revolved her eyes, curled both of her hands into tight fists, and answered tautly, "I'm not talking about just Michele."


Chapter 19 by Mirage

 

 

 


 

 

At the risk of sounding like a broken record,” Jarod said with some delicacy, “this is going to be okay.”

You aren't surprised,” Parker said sourly, and directed a murmured obscenity at the screaming kettle

I was,” Jarod offered apologetically, removing the kettle from the stove, and pouring its contents over the loose Assam that Parker had spooned into a small porcelain teapot. “I think you were, too.”

Were?” Parker repeated indignantly. “That's charitable of you. I still am.”

Give yourself some time,” Jarod advised softly.

Mhm, right, because I didn't just give myself an entire decade's worth of time,” she exclaimed in a tight, quiet voice. With a mirthless snort she added, “I shouldn't be confused. I didn't leave because my feelings for you changed.”

No, but you didn't expect that we'd both still feel this way,” Jarod said, offering her a warm smile. “It's like you never left.”

It is,” Parker agreed. “And it isn't. Ten years,” she murmured incredulously, depositing herself into a chair.

You're not beholden to arbitrary timelines, and we don't measure relationships with time. Michele knows that. You know it, too. It's just time. And you would make the same decision again,” Jarod added with a knowing smile. “Wouldn't you?”

Parker considered Jarod's question, observed his slow advance in silence. 

This isn't really all that complicated. It's been a stressful, and, at times frightening, several weeks,” Jarod said with some solemnity, installing himself into the chair opposite Parker, “and between almost losing Sydney, celebrating his recovery, learning more about your past, and discovering that you're going to be a Godparent maybe you haven't had an opportunity to consider what would have happened had you'd stayed.”

Parker's face twisted in confusion. “Stayed?” she asked.

If you'd stayed with me that morning.”

I wouldn't have murdered a man,” she answered tartly, sounding more querulous than she'd intended, “for starters.”

“Instead, he would have gone to Raines, and while we slept sweepers would have completely surrounded the house. I know we talked about visiting Côte d'Ivoire, but- uh not in handcuffs and blindfolds, not as prisoners.They would have used you to control me.” Jarod disclosed to Parker as delicately as was possible. He, nevertheless, noted her infinitesimal reflexive recoil.

And used me to control you,” he continued carefully. “I don't want to think about what they would have done to you, or what I would have done for the Centre to ensure you weren't harmed; there is nothing I wouldn't have done to protect you.”

Parker considered Jarod's words, frowned.

You saved our lives, and hundreds of thousands more,” Jarod asserted in a voice that was grave, oracular. “We're still here. It cost us ten years- is one of way looking at it.

Another way of looking at is it only cost us ten years, not our lives. I won't say we were lucky, I won't lie and say it didn't hurt. Considering all that the Centre has taken from us, all that they could have taken, the number of lives that could have been lost, and that we're on speaking terms again ten years was a pretty good bargain. It wasn't some strange coincidence, was it?” 

Parker's frown deepened. “What wasn't?”

That you needed to leave,” Jarod answered solemnly, “at exactly the same moment a sweeper was watching us.”

Parker widened her eyes, and in a strained voice, said, “That sounds a helluva lot less crazy than it ever did inside my head.”

It isn't crazy. Both your mother and our brother-”

I'm not like them,” Parker said hastily.

Jarod silently studied Parker for several moments, and said, thickly, “You're afraid that you're like them.”

No,” Parker asserted placidly. “I--- yes, I was. You're not wrong. I'm not like them. It hasn't happened again,” she clarified. “Sometimes I wonder if it happened at all, if I was crazy.”

You tried to tell me. Hundreds of times. Didn't you?”

Not about this. The timing seemed like more of a warning than the-- the warning. I wanted to trust you, and I wanted to believe you were right, that everything would be normal once we were together, and out of the states. I tried to believe you. I attributed the voices and the confusion to self-sabotage, Centre training, tried to ignore it.”

Until you couldn't.”

Yeah,” Parker said with a sheepish grimace and an accompanying hollow laugh. “Until then,” she agreed with a nearly imperceptible nod, and succeeded in silencing the brutal self-mocking and the award for worst-timing-ever goes to-

I started thinking about how unhappy Mom was, and-- what happened the last time I decided to leave the Centre.”

It makes sense that you'd think of Thomas on the eve of leaving the Centre.”

This was - it was different. It was like I was reliving it again. But with you. Only,” Parker expelled a breath, quickly drew another, and rose unhurriedly, ignoring Jarod's expression of concern.

Jarod became disoriented briefly, recalling his final conversation with Catherine, watching her rise from the sofa, turn away, deliver the terrible news. Like mother, like-

Only I was holding the gun, and you were--” Parker's voice dissolved to suggestive silence.

Dead,” Jarod said when it became clear that Parker couldn't.

That's why I left,” she announced after several moments, folding her arms across her chest. “Why I didn't come back.”

Jarod's brow creased. “That wasn't the inner sense.”

I know that now. It wasn't even the aversion torture and Centre training. It was a memory, but you converted the files; you knew before I did.”

Jarod rose impulsively, and observed as Parker swiveled, and met his gaze.

What?” She asked.

Memory,” Jarod stammered. “What do you mean by that? How can you remember something that hasn't happened? Uh- I'm sorry. Yes, I converted the flies,” Jarod explained hastily, pushing a hand through his hair. “You have the only copies.”

Parker absorbed Jarod's words with a blank stare, and after a moment, answered him with an expression of resignation, “Raines called it NeuroReality. He talked for hours about bilateral cochlear implants, engaging all of the sensory cortices, and,” she added with a dismissive wave of hand, “the typical Raines masturbatory drivel.

He touted it as painlessly invasive biotech-medicine, was adamant that the virtual become indistinguishable from the real. It was indistinguishable. He somehow generated a virtual you that was real enough to kill.” Parker shook her head. “I wasn't aware that the technology even existed then.”

It didn't exist. Not officially. That project was conceived exclusively to save lives and improve quality of life,” Jarod explained with some effort, strangling on remorse. “By me,” he confessed.

Parker dropped her arms to her sides, recoiled from Jarod's words. “I thought you might say that. Mm,” she added in a low murmur, widening her eyes as she spoke, “really hoped you wouldn't.”

I didn't know that Raines was going to twist my work into a tool of torture, and use it to hurt you. I wanted to save lives,” Jarod tearfully insisted when Parker advanced. “I believed it would save lives.”

Parker lifted her hand to Jarod's bicep, felt him stiffen beneath her touch, and realized that he—Mister This Isn't Really All That Complicated—had been anticipating her fists instead, and he refused to even attempt to shield himself, as if he believed he deserved to be punished, as if it were somehow possible for anyone to punish him more than he punished himself.

It did save lives,” Parker insisted softly. “Yours. Mine. Hundreds of thousands. We're here---and do I have to repeat everything you just said, verbatim? What?” Parker asked suddenly, intrigued by Jarod's inscrutable gaze.

I spent years wondering why you left me,” Jarod answered in a tight, hoarse voice. “Now that I know the truth I- I understand why you had to leave, but I'm having difficulty comprehending how you were able to share your life with me, even briefly, and,” he continued with a slow head shake that dislodged the tears standing in his eyes, “and how I could possibly possess the audacity to ever consider asking you to do it again.”

Then it's a damn good thing,” Parker asserted resolutely, “that I'm not waiting for you to ask.”


 

Chapter 20 by Mirage
Author's Notes:
Warning/explanation:

During the previous few years several reviewers have asked a similar question, along the lines of, "What do you think the creators (allegedly) meant when they (allegedly) talked about the ick (allegedly in regards to Parker's paternity), something worse than Raines being Parker's potential sperm donor?"

1. I'm not even certain the creators ever said something like that; it's the first I'd heard of other potential ick, and if they said something like that I have absolutely no idea what they meant 2. I thought Dr. Ick was the ick, which (unfortunately) raised the question: what could possibly be more ICK than Raines being the potential sperm donor?

I shouldn't have asked, because several days ago when I was minding my own business trying to fall asleep an idea came leaping at me like a wound-too-tight retriever when its human walks through the door after working all day. And I should've kicked it out or rehomed it, but I'm an absolute sucker for a bad idea, and I'm quite certain no one else wants to provide refuge to something this absurd.

It's implausible (I didn't want to simply strain plausibilty here, mhn, no, I wanted to snap its neck), absolutely illogical, controversial as fuck, wildly inappropriate, thoroughly distasteful, probably illegal I'm guessing, and most certainly profoundly offensive.

How could I possibly resist?

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

The lake was tranquil, and reflected alto-cumulus clouds, a sparrow. Chipmunks foraged nearby, chattering quietly, darting into leaves. White Ash and Sugar Maples, in various stages of development, filtered the morning sun, and danced gently in the sudden crisp breeze.

Parker shuddered reflexively, watched the reflection distort, the water's surface undulate. The peace wasn't taken for granted. She knew the importance of enjoying such moments while they lasted; they rarely did. She lifted her face, welcomed the kaleidoscopic shafts of sunlight, and Jarod. Parker felt Jarod's presence, noted intentionally heavy footfalls; they'd suffered enough surprises.

"This is my favorite spot, too," Jarod announced quietly.
"It's nice," Parker said amiably.
 "You know," Jarod remarked lightly, sitting beside Parker on the iron bench, and offering her a cup of tea. "I'd--
love to get used to this."

"I certainly have no objections to you bringing me tea every morning," Parker said, smiling over the steaming cup, "if you don't."

"If?" Jarod asked.

"I took your advice," Parker answered softly, and observed Jarod's expression of surprise. With a quiet snort of bewilderment, she asked, "Why does it surprise you that I took your advice?"

"Uh, I've always had the feeling," Jarod explained softly, "that you ignore at least half of what I say."

Parker tasted her tea, hummed appreciatively, and, after several moments, met Jarod's expectant gaze. "Oh, I'm sorry," she said with deadpan perfection, "did you say something?"

"All right," Jarod said with a quiet chuckle, "I deserved that."
"Mhm, you did. I always take your advice," Parker informed Jarod tartly, adding with a half shrug, "
eventually. I watched more of Raines' home movies this morning."

"Oh, that advice."

Parker nodded. "Triumvirate delegates conducted a clandestine inquiry when I shot up the Centre pursuing you."

"Makes sense," Jarod said. "You discharged your weapon, a bomb detonated, and I'm sure everyone was curious to know how you and I—but no one else—entirely escaped injury."

"Pushing me into that dumbwaiter was a helluva plot twist; I thought those things were inoperable."

"They were," Jarod said, "for a decade."

"The tower and the entire Triumvirate commission wanted to know why, after running from me, running for your life, you saved mine, and not Sydney's. Or Broots'. I'm curious, too."

"Impulse," Jarod answered lightly. "Logic. I wanted to protect you. You were closest. Broots would've seen me coming, and successfully resisted being shoved into an unknown dark cavity just as you would've had I given you any indication of my intentions. Sydney planted the bomb; his conscience wouldn't have allowed him to leave you and Broots behind. There was also a strategic survival advantage involved in choosing you. Mr. Parker wouldn't shoot at you or allow Raines to."

"What if you'd been wrong?" Parker asked.

Jarod asked softly with a roguish grin, "When have I ever been wrong?"
"What if you're wrong now? Because I'm always going to be that woman, the one who almost got you, Sydney, and Broots killed, and not even you can outrun that, Jarod."

"Sydney planted that bomb, Raines hurt Timmy, and-- I'm in love with that woman. You were trapped in a life you didn't know how to escape from, and those files confirm it-- and that you were just as much a Centre prisoner as I was. That should be the primary take-away."

"So I shouldn't sling the laptop into the lake?"

"Hmm, the trout probably wouldn't appreciate that, but I trust you'll make the right decision."
"And you think binge-watching Raines' greatest hits is the right decision? Because this isn't how I envisioned spending my first two months of unemployment," Parker groused. "Not that I ever actually expected to outlast the Centre or outlive the ghoul or escape that god-forsaken hell-hole alive."

"Answers about your mother-- that you've spent most of your childhood, and your entire adult life searching for, could be in those files."

Parker shrugged noncommittally. "I suppose I can endure a little more madness."

"The offer still stands," Jarod said, "I can look at the files with you."
"Mm, no. You're still working that missing person's case with Susan."
 "Remotely," Jarod reminded Parker softly. "I'll be close if you want to talk or--  or not talk."
 "Mm,
not talking," Parker hummed contentedly, lowering her head to Jarod's shoulder, and closing her eyes when he pulled her close, kissed her hair. I fucking love not talking.

 

Jarod believed several decades' worth of time stretched out ahead of them, more than enough for talking, and he remained unflinchingly confident until he knocked on the library door, and observed it open.

"I thought you might -" Jarod said, promptly falling silent when it became apparent the room was empty. He immediately dropped his gaze to the floor, upon which Parker had assembled dozens of printed documents in messy rows. Beneath each document were vertical columns of photographs and index cards that referenced video files.

The painting Lyle had thrust at Jarod she found it while stealing my car served as a perverse centerpiece, only, Jarod noted, the canvas had been rotated forty-five degrees and tilted back sharply.

Raines' grotesque pièce de résistance.

From every other perspective, the painting depicted a blood-splattered SL-27, dismembered bodies, and Lyle had given each limb and torso its own mouth, and all of them were stretched open, drenched with blood.

Parker had deciphered the code, untangled the inner maniacal—and surrealistic—workings of Lyle's mind. In Bobby's rendering, the Centre's tower was phallic, barbed, sheathed in bark. It's a building and a tree. Bodies and trees. Limbs and trunks.

Surrounded by crimson water, or blood the edifice was painted in shades of ebony, all shadows and incisive edges, and bore two faces that merged to create one. Each eye, a different color, stared out from the tower's two windows.
Blue.
Brown.
It seemed obvious to Jarod, initially, but only because he had fallen prey to confirmation bias.

Her face.

Mine.

The brown eye was, without a doubt, Jarod's--  in a face that belonged to the small child Sydney had cradled and comforted, given refuge. The blue eye was lined with pastels, and reflected terror.

Two sets of roots, or veins, Jarod couldn't be certain, shot through the tower's foundation, crisscrossed at the windows, entwined.

No, they're limbs. Of a tree. A family tree.

There, where the two veins collided, Lyle had painted what looked, in Jarod's opinion, like a poppy pod. Inside that pod—and the old adage wasn't lost on Jarod—Lyle had painted himself and Parker.

Jarod set the teacup and single gardenia on the desk, retrieved his mobile, and groaned when he was immediately diverted to voicemail.
He cursed, redialed, studied documents and photographs.

Of himself.

Catherine Parker.

"This isn't true," Jarod snarled.

It was all rather compelling nonetheless. Raines' successes—if they could be called successes—inducing and accelerating puberty, and his propensity for assaulting both unconscious and conscious women were all substantially documented, verified. The bastard used my sperm to fertilize my mother's ovum to create my clone, for God's sake. He's easily depraved enough to combine my DNA with Catherine's to-

 Jarod's conviction withered just as, he imagined, Parker's had, and he was eager to unequivocally disprove the lies, and surmised Parker was as well.
 They have to be lies.

"Of course," Jarod murmured, confident, at least, of one thing-- until he bounded down the back porch steps and his eyes met Parker's. Just beyond the porch light's reach, she shared a stone bench with his key fob and an empty plastic bag, and stared at him intensely.

"Just when I begin to think there was a limit to Raines' fucked-up-ness," Parker said with a strangled laugh, "a new level of hell creeps up over the horizon, and it's never going to end."

"It seems that way," Jarod agreed. "There has to be a limit- to everything," he assured her. "Everything ends eventually."

"I hope to hell you're right," Parker groused, and confirmed softly what Jarod had already concluded, "I considered it. When I heard Raines boast that you're my--" Parker drew a breath, continued, "I considered dropping your mug into a Ziploc, stealing your car, asking Broots to run tests again."

"So, that is something you've done before?"

"You're probably thinking I shouldn't need another test, and I shouldn't, but it's occurred to me," Parker explained, her voice brittle with rage, "that Broots and I were inside the Centre when I asked him to run those tests, and that he used Centre samples-- labeled by the Centre, obtained inside the Centre, used Centre equipment, didn't babysit the testing processes. Hell, if I didn't look exactly like my mother I'd doubt she's my mother."

Jarod frowned, advanced. "I'm sorry," he said. "That you're confused, afraid, angry, and I know how eager you must be to know the truth, so I have to ask. Why didn't you go to Broots?"

"What Raines did to you-" Parker fell silent, cleared her throat artificially. "Sit," she advised, rising.
"No, I'm all right," Jarod said, closing the distance between them, and covering her hand with his.
 "It's a private matter," Parker concluded at last. "Yours."

"You wouldn't have had to mention my name."

"You're right," Parker agreed, instinctively reciprocating, closing her fingers, squeezing Jarod's hand. "The ECG coffee mug would've been a dead giveaway."

"Sydney's a doctor, too. It could just as easily belong to him."

"Mm, no, it couldn't," Parker argued placidly, "not with the words sinus in the streets tachy in the sheets stamped on it--emphasis on tacky, Jarod."

Jarod smiled brightly, and with a soft laugh informed Parker, "I spent thirteen months trying to figure out what that meant."

Parker smiled as well, and, for another moment, remained optimistic, dismissive of Raines' self-aggrandizing proclamations, absurd publications. She'd hastily thumbed through thousands of pages of medicalese in search of a pithy synopsis, a definitive yes or no.

"Centre matters are hardly private," Jarod reasoned, addressing the lingering confusion and questions in Parker's eyes. "Broots is well aware of the weekly blood draws, daily urine collections, yearly seminal collections, the cloning simulation. For a brief time, during Sydney's absence, I handed over a specimen cup to Raines' people twice a day."

Parker frowned, and, thoroughly dreading the answer, asked, "When?"

"1964," Jarod answered unreservedly.

Parker's lips parted, and immediately closed, trapping the strangled whimper in her throat. A year before I was born. She widened tear-filled eyes, began to swivel. Hesitated. Her legs were poised to walk; her fingers, however, refused to loosen their grasp on Jarod's hand. Parker felt compelled to do both, perceived a violent tug in opposite directions, and the ground snatched from beneath her feet. She imagined her body twisted apart by indecision-- to accurately reflect her present emotional state.

"It's all right," Jarod whispered, depositing a hand on Parker's shoulder, gently steadying her. "We're going to get through this," he added, ushering Parker to the bench, and sitting, and mutely entreating her to join him, and no one, absolutely no one, could have been more astonished than Parker by her acquiescence. 

"Is it," Parker stammered forcefully, "possible?"

"It shouldn't be," Jarod answered delicately.

"W- what," Parker asked numbly, "does that mean?"

"Simulation 0-2140-EPR-2," Jarod explained somberly. "AKA Expeditious Population Regrowth secured billions of dollars in the name of national and global security and interests following a global catastrophic event, such as a war. "

Jarod observed Parker's frown deepen. She drew a breath, and said in fierce, faint voice, "So, because they feared able-bodied men would be killed they decided to let Raines determine whether or not it was possible to repopulate the country using—" Parker swallowed hard, blinked away tears. "Children," she concluded at last. "So, it is possible?"

"You and I both know that regardless of what DNA profiling reveals, I'm not, and can never be. That isn't who I am to you," Jarod explained, "it isn't who we are to each other, and even if all of the genetic markers match it won't change the way we feel about each other, or the things we've said and done."

"But," Parker argued softly, struggling to ignore Jarod's fingertips on her hand. Every caress was that of a lover's, each echoed and confirmed his words.

The things we've done.

Parker quietly contemplated things said and done, vividly recollected the taste of him, his mouth on her body. Things we can never undo.

She warred with herself, struggled to compose a coherent rebuttal.

"But it would change the way we feel about--  about the way we feel for each other," Parker challenged thinly. "Because it's wrong. Twelve years in Catholic school surrounded by incessant threats of hell only to fa—"   oh, it's hardly a fall from grace; I wasn't pushed. I didn't slip. I jumped.

Jarod recalled, with blistering disdain, the Catholic school uniform Parker had once worn, and the death of her curiosity; he had suspected all along that the latter had been a direct result of the former, but was nonetheless still alarmed and disheartened by the transformation. The little girl who had searched for a corpse and found Faith, voiced disappointments and frustrations when adults evaded questions about her mother's death had abruptly stopped asking questions, searching for truth, breaking rules for just reasons.

Jarod had been appalled to witness Parker defer to even duplicitous elders and authority figures, their statutes and whims, and adhere to their instructions with blind belief, obedience, obsequence. Religious indoctrination had laid the foundation for Mr. Parker and the Centre, served as a conduit through which any abuser could have passed. Questions and doubts were discouraged, disparaged.

Answers were provided by the church and by the Centre, and those answers were never to be doubted. It didn't seem like much of a coincidence either to Jarod that both religion and the Centre were established and governed by tyrannical patriarchs who subjugate women, use them as mere receptacles, and deem their pain a sacrifice to some greater cause- as if any cause entrenched in the oppression of others could ever be considered great.

His jaw clenched in anger, Jarod recalled one such sacrifice. A simulation. Sexuality. And, later, Parker's words, a first kiss, equal measures of precociousness and pretentiousness. Girls mature faster. Both the Centre and the church had deliberately inculcated in Parker their deficient ideologies, including the girls mature faster nonsense bestowed to secure her cooperation, although, Jarod theorized, Parker probably believed it was a compliment; after all, she'd proudly bordering haughtily spoken those words, someone else's words, prior to kissing him.

You're a woman, Angel, more mature than The Pretender, so we want you to kiss him.

Gendered stereotypes were double-edged weapons that denied Parker leadership opportunities and autonomy, while also holding her to a higher standard of accountability. Parker, evidently, according to both establishments, had only ever been mature enough to be coerced to participate in sexuality simulations—unlike her homicidal brother who was given power he didn't deserve and repeatedly abused—and when men inside the church committed unwanted sexual advances and refused to accept responsibility because boys will be boys, Angel; they simply can't help it.

Jarod was acutely aware that Parker couldn't comprehend those truths, that only years of work could provide clarity, and it was important to reinforce the basics:

"Perhaps I'd be inclined to hear Christianity's opinion on what is and isn't wrong," Jarod explained when it became clear Parker wasn't going to complete the statement, "if it didn't threaten children with hell. That's child abuse, emotional abuse, in addition to their illustrious history of sexual abuse, rape.

They're not a legitimate authority on morality, but you don't need me to tell you that, do you," Jarod continued hotly, "because Shifty G Giuseppe confirmed it years ago, and he's one of billions of charlatans who perpetrate and conceal crimes under the guise of religion, and they all deserve to have a hell of a lot more than a single digit broken.

What he did to you was wrong, what he continued doing to others while cos-playing as priest was wrong. You and I," Jarod added emphatically, "aren't wrong. The time we spent together in the loft wasn't wrong. I think you know that already, too, don't you?"

"I don't know," Parker said, her voice strained, tremulous.

"What are you going to do?" Jarod asked softly.

"I- I know what I'm supposed to do," Parker said after a moment, imagining buccal smears, an excruciating wait for answers.

"Supposed?" Jarod repeated irritably. "I'll rephrase. What do you want to do?"

"Destroy the discs, format the drives, excise the last seven hours from my mind, pretend we never had this conversation. Is that an option?"

"That depends," Jarod answered. "Are you afraid of the truth and want to run from it, or have you decided not to let the truth, regardless of what it is, control you? And are you comfortable destroying potential answers regarding your mother?"

Parker stared blankly at Jarod for a moment, contemplating the question, and finally asserted in a low, tremulous snarl, "I'm going to need a fucking second to catch my breath here, all right?" She observed Jarod's curt nod, and felt, rather than heard, his whispered apology.

"What about you?" Parker asked Jarod. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking each time happiness is within our grasp the Centre interferes. They've always done this, and always will if we allow it. I'm thinking that even if none of the markers match you'll never again look at me the way you did this morning-- because Raines included me in perpetrating crimes against your mother."

Parker recoiled from Jarod's words, drew a sharp breath. "I can't think about that."

"You're going to have to eventually, and confront it."

Parker recoiled from Jarod's grave insistence, closed her eyes, and rebutted testily, "Not right now. And you said if we allow it, as if nothing's changed."

"Because nothing has changed," Jarod argued, and softly whispered her name, "for either of us. You wouldn't be here if it had. You wanted to leave, tried, but couldn't make it any farther than this bench. Somewhere between Sydney's library and my car you decided you didn't want Broots to know the truth, that our feelings for each other matter more than any test result, more than anyone's opinion or self-righteous condemnation, and you're right. Nothing can ever change what I feel, and why should either of us feel ashamed, or any different about our feelings than we did this morning, last night? If we'd made love last night—"

Parker lifted a forestalling hand, and said quietly, "I know. You're the one that suggested waiting until the weekend."

"Another weekend destroyed by the Centre," Jarod murmured bitterly. "But that's what the Centre does. Do you regret the weekend we shared, the things we did?"

"We didn't know then that this was a possibility," Parker answered, still struggling to recover her typical composure.

"Are you relieved we didn't make love last night?"

"I should be relieved. I know that."

"Should?" Jarod repeated indignantly. "Why should you feel any way except the way you feel, do anything other than what you want to do? We're the victims in all of this. The Centre stole our autonomy, families, childhoods, happiness, hope, stripped of us freedom, violated our bodies, broke our hearts, shattered our minds, battered our souls, fractured our spirits, and still haunt our dreams. Are you going to let them take this from us, too?"

 

 

 


 

End Notes:
If you're still here you're probably one of the fandomly members who have asked for incest- although this probably isn't what you've been anticipating  (most want sibcest: Parker and Lyle, Kyle and Jarod-- although the more obvious sibship considering their history of BDSM play is Lyle and Jarod).

People constantly ask me to write incest, and I've constantly been reluctant to scribble it. I understand that they're vicitms, they didn't know, they weren't raised as blood relations. And I realize that incest is fandom fun, and that even during the series writers toyed with incest ("Daddy" and Raines/potential-Daddy's lust for Parker during that whole Pat Robertson foot-washing fiasco). Incest is a major part of the holy canonical gospels of The Pretender fandom, and I'm trying to write more of it. Small doses, Fam. All of that applies to the darkJarod fans too. Small doses.

 

Chapter 21 by Mirage

 

 

 


 

 

The wedding was a hastily arranged, no nonsense affair, but hardly a spontaneous one, and neither delinquent nor premature. Bride and groom had been in love for decades, and it had taken simply that long for life to align with desires, catch up with their hearts, meet them exactly where they'd always longed to be.
 
Two small tables whose ivory coverings pooled upon the grass, an assortment of chairs, and family only, were assembled together in Sydney's White Cloud garden at sunset to witness the ceremony, officiated by Gianna, an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church.
 
It was full dark when Nicholas escorted the bride down a flagstone footpath—illuminated by accent lighting, candles, and hanging lanterns—and delivered her to the waiting groom.
 
Vows were spoken and rings placed on fingers, and the kiss celebrated with quiet applause. On cue, a French ballad trickled from concealed speakers.

While those dearest to her filled their saucers, gleefully raised cupcakes to toast the newlyweds, and engaged in small talk, Parker plucked a glass of Vouvray from a tray, and sank into the shadows.
 
Jarod knew immediately that it was a custom Parker had established years earlier to preserve his ignorance supposing he materialized unannounced.

Parker could have easily slipped away unnoticed, and escaped a confrontation with him had he, despite Michele and Sydney's assurances, closed a car door, strolled silently up the footpath.
 
Jarod didn't need confirmation that Parker would have simply transformed into hunter mode had she failed to escape unnoticed, perhaps produced a file bearing the Centre's letterhead for Sydney to sign, anything to sustain the ruse.
 
Jarod poured himself a glass of water, and followed Parker into the darkness.
 
"Can I join you?" Jarod asked.
 
"Of course," Parker answered, adding softly, "And I know what you're thinking."
 
"Oh," Jarod hummed. "What am I thinking?"
 
"That I began doing this because you'd developed quite the nasty habit of springing surprise visits on Sydney, and you aren't wrong," Parker answered bluntly, closing the remaining distance between them.
 
"Let me guess," Jarod said. "You were here on one such visit, weren't you?"
 
"Mm, you play with fire enough times," Parker confirmed nonchalantly, setting the empty glass atop one of Michele's marble sculptures.
 
"Fire," Jarod repeated with a deep frown. "Did you really believe that's what you were doing?"
 
"It's what it felt like," Parker answered with an affirming nod, extending her left hand, and easily finding Jarod's fingers in the dark.
 
"And now?" Jarod asked, pressing his palm against Parker's. "How does this feel? Still dangerous?"
 
With a hum of contentment, Parker instinctively linked her fingers through Jarod's, and shook her head. "Not--- entirely," she said, revealing unease.

"Not entirely," Jarod repeated with some sympathy. "Why not entirely?"

"Jarod," Parker murmured, dropping her gaze briefly to the nearby blanket of tulips. "I never wanted to have this much to lose---ever again. You," she confessed softly, and slid her gaze to the wedding party. "Them. I don't remember when I stopped fighting myself, stopped pushing them away," she added with a snort of contempt, "or when I began holding on-- no matter how afraid I was of losing them."

"You did this to me. You," Parker repeated, canting her body towards Jarod's, and pressing her right hand to his chest, "you've never let me forget who I am, forget that little girl, forget us. You never gave up on me, even when I believed I wanted you to, because, apparently, you're just as stubborn as I am. I want to try holding on--- together," she confided with an expression of determination.

Noting Jarod's cautious expression and the tears standing in his eyes, Parker added hastily, "I know you've been waiting-- for me, and I know you insist that we have the most unpleasant conversations in the history of verbal communication, and I think we should do it," Parker said, staring up into Jarod's bewildered face. "If you still want to."
 
"If," Jarod repeated with a grin of elation, and observed Parker's curt nod. "Yes," he answered with an unrestrained laugh that dislodged his tears.

"Yes," Jarod whispered on Parker's mouth, "I do."

 


End Notes:

 

This chapter, sort of like Michele and Sydney's wedding, was a hastily arranged (filled-to-bursting with nonsense) affair.


I might eventually return here to do something with it.

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5674