Blue Christmas by RaChell
Summary: Some times the holidays we cherish the most as a child are the bleakest time of the year as a adult.

Categories: Post IOTH Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 3483 Read: 9760 Published: 25/12/06 Updated: 07/01/07

1. Chapter 1, Miss Parker's version by RaChell

2. Chapter 2, Jarod's version by RaChell

3. Chapter 3 The Writers' Version by RaChell

Chapter 1, Miss Parker's version by RaChell
Author's Notes:
At this time of year, friends from the Pretender family seem near and dear. This story is for those friends, fan fic writers and readers who I have meet over the years. Yip who inspired me to write my first fan fic, Gena for reading my rough drafts and giving her support and advice. The Missing Pieces group for re-lighting my desire to write and keeping the fan fic archive alive. And YOU the reader, you have a vivid imagination that can take mere words on a page and transform them beyond anything written. Your imagination can turn the most "G" rated fan fic into a blushing NC-17. So turn your imagination loose.

She walked slowly in the cold night air across the parking lot to her car. A few snow flakes drifted silently down to settle on her hair and coat. Christmas Eve and in the pale light from the Centre everything had a blue hue to match her mood. This was the saddest time of the year for her, she missed her mother and now daddy was gone. Everyone had family or someone to go home to, she had no one. Broots had invited her over and Sydney had asked her to join him for dinner but she turned both invitations down. Before leaving the office she had glanced once more at the phone which had been silent all day. She missed the days when Jarod would call to taunt her and now she would give anything to hear his voice.

She unlocked the car, opened the door, slid in and started it. Driving out of the Centre parking lot, a woman's voice on the radio sang out.

"Christmas, Christmas,
Baby please come home"


Home.

Where was that? The only home she had known as a child growing up was the Centre, as a adult it had consumed her.

Home.

As if any place as gray, desolate and forbidding as the Centre could be called home. Yet the memories of childhood Christmases there with her mother were some of the happiest memories she had.

"I remember when you were here,
the fun we had that year..."


Jarod was her friend then.

"Baby please come home.
Please come home"
...

The last thing she wanted for Jarod was to come 'home' to the Centre.

As she pulled into the driveway she wondered where he was, who he was with. She parked the car and exited. The snow on the ground crunched under foot as she made her way up the walk. She unlocked and opened the door to her house. Glancing around she was disappointed, she had hoped a package on the coffee table or a blinking light on her answering machine, anything would be welcome. But the house was empty and cold.

Once inside she made a fire, fixed a cup of bitter herbal tea, turned on her music and "Blue Christmas" began to play.

" I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me"


She reflected on the past as she curled up on the sofa with the cup of tea. So much had changed in the months after the events on Carthis. She hadn't heard from Jarod since the phone call she received shortly after her return. Daddy was still missing, presumed dead and things at the Centre were strained. Raines looked worried and Lyle was on edge. But they had manage to deflect most of the attention away from themselves by putting her under scrutiny. How long had she been with Jarod on Carthis? What did he tell her? Why was she there in the first place? And because of this there was a sweeper shadowing her every move twenty four hours.

Her health had taken a turn for the worse. A nagging pain in her stomach prompted a visit to the doctor, fearing the return of a ulcer. She was told to stop drinking, eat a better diet and exercise. She laughed at the thought of exercise. Without Jarod to chase, her exercise routine had suffered.

Having little faith in western medicine she decided to try a more time honored treatment, Chinese medicine. So the previous week she had made a appointment with a Doctor Yip. He told her she was suffering from stress and she needed rest. He had given her herbal teas to take, explaining that the objective was to strenghten the deficiencies and alleviate stagnation. That it was important to bring energy, blood and body fluids into harmony so they could move freely through the body's meridians. He recommend acupuncture from a reputable practitioner along with strict advice to avoid alochol, smoking and certain foods. But it was the events after leaving his office that occupied her thoughts.

She had entered the crowded elevator lost in thought, vaguely aware of Elvis' "Blue Christmas" playing over the speaker.

"I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me"


As the doors closed she could sense him behind her. Maybe it was his smell or the presence of his eyes on her but without turning around she knew it was him. She could feel herself tense and thought back to the moments by the fireplace in Carthis. The elevator stopped at the next floor and people crowded in. A woman with a stroller pushed her way in front of Miss Parker knocking her off balance. As she started to fall, her left hand went out to brace herself and it connected with his thigh. At the same time his right arm wrapped around her waist, pulled her to him and stopped her fall.

"And the when those blue snowflakes start fallin'
That's when those blue memories start callin'"


Even now she could feel his warm breath on her neck as he nuzzled his face in her hair and his left hand griped her left arm. His right arm around her waist pulled her closer and without thinking she had slipped her right hand over his and interlocked her fingers tightly with his. Her eyes had slowly closed as his hand became more bold, caressing her shoulder, sliding up to her neck, then check and finally one finger caressed her lips. Her lips parted and her teeth nipped at his finger, lightly biting it. It didn't take much to imagine what it would be like to be more intimidate, their bodies intertwined, the friction between them. Thoughts that she never let herself think.

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas"


The song had ended as the elevator reached the lobby. She had pulled her fingers loose from his, moved her hand away from his thigh. She could feel his reluctance as he loosen his grip on her, letting his arm fall slowly away from her waist. She walked out of the elevator and never looked back.

Chapter 2, Jarod's version by RaChell
Author's Notes:
Some times the holidays people cherish the most are the bleakest time of the year for others. This chapter is from Jarod's POV. (And many thanks to Jacs. Without her help  none of this would have been posted)

Jarod finished singing 'Blue Christmas' and stepped off the stage at the karaoke bar in Las Vegas. He fingered his cell phone and debated if he should call. Since their meeting on Carthis and the one brief phone call after wards he had not contacted her. It was too dangerous for both of them. Lyle and Raines had turned the Triumvirate's attention away from themselves by focusing on Miss Parker's motives for being on Carthis with him and the Triumvirate took the bait. Yet that one 'almost' kiss haunted him.

Then last week they had a unexpected meeting. He had gone to the law offices of Sloan and Towers located on the top floor of the Argyle building. He had hope to find a will which mentioned his mother, hoping for new clues. But it was another dead end and he had left the office disappointed. As he stepped in the elevator Elvis' "Blue Christmas" began to play over the speaker.

"I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me"


As the elevator made it's way down, he thought back to Bernie Baxley, the Elvis impersonator he had met on his first pretend in Las Vegas. He had been out of the Centre only a short time and everything was new and exciting then.

When the elevator stopped at the next floor she stepped in looking pale and distracted. Thinner then he remembered and weary, her gun hostler on her belt replaced by a cell phone. She was still beautiful and took his breath away. As she stood in front of him she was so close he could reached out with his hand and touch her back. But when the doors closed he could see her tense and he knew she was aware of his presence. He swallowed hard and clenched his fist. Why was he surprised? This was the way life had been for him, disappointing and harsh, everything he wanted in reach and just as he grabbed for it, it was pulled away.

"And the when those blue snowflakes start fallin'
That's when those blue memories start callin'"


The elevator stopped at the next floor and more people entered. A woman crowded in with a stroller, knocking Miss Parker off balance. As she fell backwards he slipped his right arm around her waist to steady her as she grabbed his left thigh. He could feel the back of her head press against his face and the smell of her perfume. He had expected her to pull away asserting her independence. Instead she had slipped her right hand over his and intertwined her fingers with his.

Feeling brave and not wanting to let the moment slip away as it had done in Carthis, he slid his left hand up her arm and caressed her shoulder. As her body relaxed more into his, he moved his hand from her shoulder to her neck and continued on to her soft check. Her body seem to mold to him as the elevator sped downward. He slipped one finger across her soft lips and could feel them part and her teeth nip at his finger. It didn't take much for him to imagine her naked body pressed against his, long legs encompassing him.

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas"


All too soon the elevator reached the lobby and people hurried out leaving the two of them pressed against the back wall of the elevator. But then her fingers uncurled from his, her hand pulled away from his thigh and without turning she had walked away. He had stayed behind and watched her leave. A new crowd of people pushed their way in and he strained for one last glimpse of her walking across the lobby as the doors closed and the elevator began it's climb once more.

Clenching his cell phone he walked out of the lounge until he found a quiet place outside. Hitting the speed dial on his cell phone he hesitated for a moment. After what seemed like a enterity he heard her voice.

"What?' Still the same greeting after all these years, a little softer but he would not trade it for the world. He could hear "Blue Christmas" playing in the background.

"Merry Christmas Miss Parker." Jarod said.

"I thought you had forgotten what day it was Jarod." Her reply was missing the usual acid.

"I see we like the same song." He smiled remembering the day in the elevator. There was silence for several seconds.

"Jarod, in the elevator..." He could hear her searching for words.

"I saw the sweeper waiting in the lobby. You couldn't stay, I understand." He paused. "How are you feeling? I know you saw Doctor Yip."

"His herbal teas make a poor substitute for liquor." She laughed. "And you? It sounds like you're at a party."

"Like the song says, it's a blue blue Christmas without you." He sighed.

"I guess that is our song isn't it?" She laughed softly this time. But the smile in her voice quickly changed to concern. "It's not safe to contact me."

"I know. Merry Christmas Miss Parker."

"Merry Christmas Jarod." He heard a click as she hung up.

For the next few minutes he stood on the street watching people walk by, couples holding hands, others with friends laughing and smiling. Things people took for granted, things the Centre denied him, leaving him with what? A blue Christmas. Jarod smiled as he thought of what Miss Parker had said.
'I guess that our song isn't it?'

He turned back to the karaoke lounge. It was filled with a group of international writers having a good time. They had tolerated him well until he sang "Blue Christmas" for the twentieth time. But he felt safe from any Centre sweeper there. Most of the men were dressed in black leather jackets, some were even going by 'Jarod' and many of the women reminded him of Miss Parker. And there were enough guns in the room to supply a small army. He walked back in and headed for the bar.


Chapter 3 The Writers' Version by RaChell
Author's Notes:
I know some of you are asking why I chose to add real writers to this chapter. Well, it was fun and many thanks to those who supplied their own lines. And maybe it's because it's been 10 years since the Pretender first aired and I'm feeling a bit nostligic. And this is my way of saying thanks to those fan fic writers who have entertained not only me but countless others with their writing over the years . Some like Terri and Lauriebraithe whose stories were among the first fan fics I read. And now Thunderchild, Manoline, Thara, Bucky and others who have picked up where they left off. I miss friends like Yip and AG who I use to bounce ideas off of.

I'm grateful to the Missing Pieces team, Cassy, Carha, Ines, Mac, Elke and others for keeping the fan fic archive going. And special thanks to Blademistress and Jacci who have bailed me out more then once when I've had problems posting. And of course my friend Gena who I can still call and ask, "Do you remember which episode..." So if you don't see your name in this chapter, just 'pretend' you're there. I know you can do it!

Cassy leaned against the bar in the Las Vegas karaoke lounge and smiled as she surveyed the packed room.
Never in her wildest dreams had she expected to assemble almost everyone who had ever written a Pretender fan
fic (as well as many of the loyal readers), under one roof. The invitation had been to spend Christmas in Las
Vegas, come dressed as your favorite Pretender character, do a little karaoke to some Christmas tunes and enjoy!
In this one room alone there were more leather coats, short skirts, boots and stiletto heels than in all the department stores in Vegas.

Gena was on the stage holding the mike and cooing,

"Merry Merry Christmas Baby.
Tho' you're with someone new."


Several writers were at the bar discussing the role of martial arts in fan fic, Carha seated at a nearby table had been busy drawing cartoons of the writers and was involved in a confusing conversation with one of them.

"Now you went by AG or Apollo's Girl for some of your fics, then you were...." Carha was saying as she drew. (Hey, it did happen! She occasionally *did* actually talk to people in real life. Only when promised chocolates, though, as it were.) The ever present headscarf - a festive green and red this time - did clash slightly with the clothes she was wearing.

"Yes but I was also known as JL and I went by Lyle's Girl too." The dark haired woman explained.

"You people? More identities than spies!" Carha smiled wryly. "That's as bad as Mknzy, who is also SireesAnwar, but usually goes by Mac."

"But that's the beauty of it Carha, in fan fic you can have as many identities as you want." AG smiled as she continued. "And I couldn't help noticing you carry a gun. Can I ask what kind?"

Carha smiled slyly as she whipped a beretta from her side holster and began showing it to AG.

"Here's your drink, Miss." Sarah the owner, who was bartending handed Cassy a Virgin Mary. Noticing Cassy's
apprehesion as she took the drink, she added. "Yeah, it's a virgin, no alcohol, just like you asked."

Cassy took a sip, smiled and head back to her table. Passing by Terri, Laurie, Manoline and Thara, she could hear them discuss the difficulties of staying in character while writing.

Mac, Jacci and Elke were huddled together judging the Miss Parker Look A Like competition. The
Miss Parker contest was a tough one.

Ines stood in line with the contestants, her reddish brown hair hidden by a dark brown wig. Dressed in a short black
skirt, red silk blouse and killer high heels, she looked alot like Miss Parker.

"I think that one." Jacci paused, having forgotten the contestant's name. There were so many people that she
knew, and yet at the same time couldn't recognize because they were all dressed like Miss Parker. It was rather bizarre.

"The one in the green." She concluded, unable to recall the name. "Hey, don't look at me like that! I can't remember everyone's name!" She laughed and tossed her hair back in an unconscious imitation of Miss Parker.

"I say we pick Ines." Mac moaned, tapping her acrylic nails on the table.

"Well I'm glad Blade didn't enter!" Elke replied as Ines shot a 'Miss Parker' look their way. "If we pick Ines, everyone will think we are playing favorites."

Mac shrugged. "I don't mind playing favorites. Besides, she's the best anyway."

Cassy shook her head and smiled. No one said life was fair. As she continued on her way to her table she passed by another group.

Thunderchild also known as Parker, was working on a new list of fan fic challenges.

"A good challenge would be something absurd, a spoof, it would tie together well with these insane surroundings." Parker muttered while reassembling her 9mm Smith and Wesson."Yeah, maybe Broots and Manny the Mute doing karaoke. Now that would be a challenge!"

RaChell and Blade who were seated at the table with her rolled their eyes and began to discussed weapons.

"I am not fond of guns but if I had to pick, I'd go for a glock any day." RaChell said with a hint of a smile, pulling a gun
from her side holster which had been concealed by her jacket . "Eight pound New York trigger pull and with night sights. When it comes to fire power, what's not to like?"

"Well I still prefer the Ruger. It's a family thing. But for backup there is always this." She pulled a knife from her boot." They don't call me Blademistress for nothing." Parker and RaChell's eyes grew wide as they jumped back.

"Holy s...! How did you get that on the plane?"

"Checked it in with my luggage of course!" Blade said with a smile. "Heh, funny story, I once got a razor though airport security completely on accident. I wasn't going to the states or anything, but I got it through and everything!"

"Not me! I like a 9mm Smith and Wesson, the perfect Centre issue weapon." Parker grinned.

As Gena finished she saw him come in.

"Oh Gawd!" She said in her southern accent as she stepped off stage and handed Bucky LaFontaine the mike. "He's back!" Several of the writers turned to look at the tall dark haired man in a leather jacket with a week old beard and sad brown eyes who had entered the room.

"Well if he cleaned himself up a bit he might not look too bad." Blade whispered. "And you have to admit, he
looks more like Jarod then anyone else in this room."

"Blade, every guy in this room is dressed like Jarod but this guy is hot the way he is." Gena sighed. "And you're right, he could have won the look alike contest hands down."

"It's not his looks, it's the song." Manoline moaned as she and Thara joined them.

"If I never heard Blue Christmas again it'll be too soon." Thara added.

They watched as he moved to the bar where he ordered a Blue Cove, a drink of his own making, a bloody Mary with a shot of wheatgrass juice.


Bucky took the stage, and held the mike for a moment as he looked around the room. Then said:

"My name is Bucky LaFontaine and if any of you have a book you want published, well you just stop by and see me at 1500 Heart Street." With that he began to belt out Beach Boys' Little Saint Nick.

"Well, way up north where the air gets cold
You'll find the Saint Nick
And the tale about Christmas that you've all been told
About the Saint Nick"


Bucky could see the man sip his drink as he moved closer to the stage. It would only be a matter of time before his song ended.

"She's candy apple red with a ski for a wheel
And when Santa hits the gas, man, just watch her peel
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick
The little Saint Nick"


As Bucky finished singing, the man climbed on stage and took the mike. A collective sigh went around the room as he began to sing.

"I'll have a Blue Christmas without you
I'll be so blue thinking about you
Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same dear, if you're not here with me"


The song was heartfelt and he really put his soul into it but after hearing it all evening everyone had had enough. Gena reached in her purse and pulled out ear plugs as the man continued to sing. As she passed them out her jacket pulled away from her holster revealing a 9mm Smith and Wesson.

"Like your taste in guns." Thunderchild aka Parker said with a smile.

"Thanks!" Gena replied handing her a set of pink ear plugs.

"And the when those blue snowflakes start fallin'
That's when those blue memories start callin"


In Blue Cove, Miss Parker looked out the window at the car with two sweepers in it parked across from her house. The pale moon light tinted it and everything a light blue. And tonight blue was her color, just like their song.

"You'll be doin' all right, with your Christmas of white
But I'll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas"


This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=5034