What Do You Know? by Somnabulist
Summary: Parker and Jarod finally do something about the Center.
Categories: Post IOTH Characters: All the characters
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: Warning: Language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 2081 Read: 1751 Published: 06/10/06 Updated: 09/10/06

1. Chapter 1 by Somnabulist

2. Chapter 2 by Somnabulist

3. Chapter 3 by Somnabulist

Chapter 1 by Somnabulist
Author's Notes:

This was my first fanfic. If you guys have any idea, throw 'em my way in review.

Disclaimer: The Pretender and all its characters belong to Pretender Productions and TNT. No infringement intended, no profit gained.


"Shoot him" Parker yelled at the sweepers. Jarod angled his body quickly  Parker's body now serving as his shield.

"You shoot me, you're going to hit her" he smiled.

Parker tried not to show any fear as he shoved her into one of the center's cars.

"You follow me and I will kill her," he said as he quickly drove off.

The sweepers stood their ground for a second before Sam called the center.

"Put me through to Mr. Lyle", Sam's raspy voice sounded over the phone.

"What?" "Sir, Ms. Parker has been kidnapped".

"Kidnapped! What do you mean kidnapped? Lyle asked.

" Jarod took her hostage, sir and he got away with her." He answered

"Fine, get back to the center, Jarod should be calling soon with some sort of demand". This should be good. he thought. 


Jarod could feel Parker's eye on him. He kept driving and tried to ignore the blue orbs boring into him unsuccessfully.

"What"? he asked.

"You're asking me what?" she shrieked.

"Well you keep staring at me! He said innocently.

"Ok, so maybe his brain hasn't registered the situation". She mumbled.

"You kidnapped me" she yelled.

"I did,.... because I have some information on your mother"

"And you couldn't tell me this over the phone"? Her voice softened.

"Too risky".

"Well, what is so important that you had to kidnap me" she rubbed her head steadily to ease the oncoming migraine.

" I found it" he said.

"Found what" she sighed.

"I found your mother's plan." He smiled at her shocked face, speechless.

"You did?" "How? Where? When"? Parker asked.

So much for being speechless. "I was going through the Center's mainframe about two weeks ago to find some information about my family  "

Two weeks ago?" "You found it two weeks ago? She was angry.

" I wanted to tell you  but I couldn't. I've been busy. Your phone has been rebugged and there were sweepers outside your house."

"There still are" Parker said "So where is the plan?"

"It's in the center".

" Where in the Center?" Parker asked.

"As I said I found it in the mainframe. It's a virus."

Parker's eyebrows knotted with concentration. " What are you talking about? I thought the plan was supposedly on some sort of disc."

" Your mother infected the main computer with a virus." " Every single bit of information that has ever gone through a computer in the Center is on the main computer. This virus duplicates then downloads all the information.

Parker zoned off for a second listening to the voices.

" That information in the hands of the secret services.

" Could bring down the center permanently.." Jarod finished her sentence.

"You mean that this whole time, her plan was to bring down the center legally?"

" I guess".

" I'd say it could be easy but the center has people, many people in really high places."

"Well we're just going to have to find a way take them down aren't we." Jarod said.

It's going to be long day. Parker thought as they turned into the gas station.


 REVIEW.  REVIEW. REVIEW.  REVIEW.

Chapter 2 by Somnabulist

Chapter 2 

Jarod where are we going?" Parker asked. "I need a bath and sleep, I'm tired" she whined.
"What are you doing?" Jarod asked. "Is that whining?" The infamous Parker is a whiner."
Parker pouted playfully.
"You can sleep in the car if you want." he said.
"Are you going to tell me where we are going?
" To my house." he said.
“You have a house ?  I thought you were the unsettling type. You know roach motels, leave whenever you feel like it."
" Yes. But I wanted to buy a house. A bit of permanence, you know. So I did."
"So where is it? She asked. Jarod gave her funny look.
" What? I promise not to tell anyone." she held up her hand.
" You're not exactly known for keeping your promises." he mumbled
" What's that supposed to mean. I resent that".
" We're here" he pulled onto the pavement.
" Don't change the subject" she said.
Jarod got out of the car to go and open the door.
" I was talking to…."  She trailed of a s she entered the house .
"Wow". she gasped. " It's beautiful." It looked like one of those billionaire houses that were featured in lofty magazines.
" What did you do, buy everything in the magazine? She joked
" How did you know" Jarod answered.
She rolled her eyes a him. "Where is your bathroom. I need to take a bath or something.
" There's one up the stairs and up to your left".
She took of her shoes and left them on the table.
" Make yourself at home" Jarod said.
She turned around with a smile and kept walking up the stairs.
She sighed as she saw the bathtub. That's huge. She thought as she turned on the water, felt it to test the temperature then proceeded to take off her makeup.
 This seems so natural. Being with him. In his house. She thought
“Maybe that‘s the way it‘s supposed to be”. a voice said.
" Not you too. Jarod think the same thing. But I don't know. Too many risks involved, with the center still there it's too dangerous."
“But the Center is not going to be there any longer, it's days of ruling have been numbered”.
" Maybe we will have a chance after all. But I'm still not sure". Parker said.
“ If the Center was gone tomorrow, are you ready to love him?” The voice asked.
" That is the question".

        She lay in the bathtub relaxed, spooning bubbles from the mixture of vanilla and chocolate bubble bath over her exposed parts.

Leave it to Jarod to by bubble bath that smells like food. she thought.

“ Hey Parker” Jarod called from downstairs.

“ Hey Jarod” she responded in the same tone.

Jarod smiled at her voice. She’s in a playful mood, he thought.

“ Indian, Chinese, or Lebanese” he asked.

“ I do prefer a mix but I’m partial to men of all nations” she said

“ Funny. I meant……………”

“ I know what you meant Jarod, surprise
me.” she said

“Ok”.

Then she remembered the barbecue grasshopper incident.

“On second thought. Make it pizza. I haven’t had that in a while”

“ Ok, what do you want on it ?”

“ Everything except anchovies, sausage, peppers, pineapples……… she rambled on and on

Jarod stopped listening after a while and went to order the food.



The bell rang waking her from her relaxed state. She slowly got out of the tub. She looked around for a towel and spotted one then toweled dry. Then the bell rang again.

“ Jarod ?” Parker called.

“ I got it.” he yelled back.

She couldn’t find a robe in the bathroom so she wrapped the towel around herself then headed downstairs. The man delivering the pizza stood rigid as she came down the stairs, his mouth hanging open. Jarod waived the money at him. He took it then hesitantly walked out.

“ Man you’re lucky” he said to Jarod as he left.

“ Uhuh,” he responded.

He turned around to see that Parker had already started eating. Her legs stretched out on top of the table. His breath caught as his eye trailed her legs.

“ I always liked pepperoni” she mumbled. “ You’re going to eat right ?” she asked.

 I can barely concentrate. he thought

“ I’ll bring you a robe.” he said then left

“ Ok, tomorrow we have to go get me something to wear. He’s squirming. That’s so cute. She caught herself. What the hell is going on? “Do you have anything to drink?” she  asked.

“ Yeah, check the fridge.”

She tightened the towel around her body and went to the kitchen.

“ There is no alcohol” she mumbled. “ Do you have anything remotely close to alcohol?”

“ It’s not good for you,” he said behind her. His breath tickling her ear.

“ Ummmm.” she cleared her throat.  “ Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.”
She pulled out a bottle of apple juice then poured some into a glass. He gave her the robe then left the kitchen so she could put it on.

As the night progressed, Parker let herself relax. It was as if she’d being living with him forever, she place her head next to his lap on the couch then laid down. Jarod turned on the television, there was a show called Will and Grace playing. She’d never seen it, but she liked it so far. Her eyes glistened with tears from laughter. Jarod lost track of the show as he listened to her laughter.

 She should do that more often. he thought.

It had gotten too quiet so Parker turned around to look up at him. Her eyes met his.

“ What’s wrong ?” she asked.

“ Nothing, just listening to you laugh.” he said. “ I haven’t heard you do that in a while”

“ There usually isn’t much in my life to laugh about” she answered sadly.

Everything seemed to stop as he leaned down and kissed her. After a couple of seconds there was no response so he was about to move, but she cupped the back of his head softly deepening the kiss. As they parted Jarod looked into her eyes.

Don’t. She’s regretting it. Parkers don’t do this. he thought

She cleared her throat. “ Umm, I have to go to the bathroom, Excuse me” she said then hurriedly left.

 REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW

 

Chapter 3 by Somnabulist
Author's Notes:
Disclaimer in chapter one.

She leaned her head against the door trying to catch her breath. Her lips still tingling from the kiss.

She let out a staggered breath.Gripping the sink she gasped, stumbling out of  reach as she was enveloped in a premonition. Jarod heard a thud in the silence coming from upstairs.



“ Parker?” he quickly climbed up the stairs. “ Parker? Parker? Are you okay? What’s wrong?” he knocked on the door,, but there was no response.

“Jarod!” she screamed as the sweeper tore him away from her.

“ Restrain her.” Lyle told the sweepers. She was tossed up against the wall as Jarod was being shoved out the door. Trying unsuccessfully to free himself to help her.

“ Lyle let him go!” Parker yelled.

Jarod after a struggling was able to knock out one of the sweeper holding on to him then punched Lyle out of the way. He wiped the blood trail of his lips as he got up.

“ You have outlived your usefulness” he sneered then took the safety off of his gun. Parker struggled to escape the sweepers as he aimed the gun at Jarod and pulled the trigger. With a final scream she pulled away from the sweepers. She ran to the body tears trailing down her cheeks.

“ My god, Lyle what have you done?” she cried.

“ I always knew you had a thing for the lab rat. I told dad.” he said. “ This is the thanks I get for rescuing you?”

“ Jarod? Jarod? Please don’t die. Please. Jarod? Jarod……………….”

“ Parker wake up, Parker?” Jarod shook her.

“ Wake up”. She woke up , with a start her eye brimming with tears.

“ Jarod!” she cried.

“ I’m right here.” he whispered as he hugged her close. Her arms secured around his neck.

“ You’re alive !” more tears sprung to her eyes

“ Yes I am..... Parker what’s wrong? You fainted.”.

She realized how close they were then pulled away. Jarod tried not to show the hurt he felt with her withdrawal . She tried unsuccessfully to get up but fell back down.

“ Parker, you’re bleeding” Jarod held her hand. “ What happened” he asked

“ I think I just had a premonition. We have to get out of here”. she tried to get

“ Parker slow down, what’s going on?” he asked

“ Help me up. We have go before Lyle gets here.”

“ Parker…….”

“ Just trust me okay. Now let’s go” she shoved him out the door.

“ What happened to the door” she looked at him.

“ I had to kick and… Forget it.” Jarod sighed and went to his room to quickly pack up his things.


“They’re not here sir” the sweeper reported to Lyle.

“Jarod must’ve known we were coming” he growled. “ Sweep the place and meet me back at the Center.” He got into one of the cars then signaled the driver to go.

“ That’s amazing” Jarod said

“ My premonitions are starting to get more accurate” Parker said.

“ What did you see in your premonition? You thought I was dead?” he asked

“ Can we not talk about this right now. It’s been a long day, I just want to go to sleep.” she said

“ Parker….”

She cuddle into the seat, her face away from him.
I’ll let it go for now Jarod thought. He turned on the radio then started to drive.

“ I hope Dad will be glad to see us”. he sighed into the night.

 

Rrreeeeeevvvvviiieeeewwww.

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4996