Recovery by Shannon
Summary: Jarod discovers a Centre connection regarding patients at a hospital and needs Parker's help to . . . .
Categories: Season 3 Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Original Character
Genres: Action/Adventure, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 11723 Read: 38619 Published: 26/08/05 Updated: 26/08/05

1. Part 1 by Shannon

2. ' The Innocent ' Part One and Two by Shannon

3. ' The Innocent ' Part Three by Shannon

4. ' The Innocent ' Part Four by Shannon

5. ' Joining ' Part One by Shannon

6. ' Joining ' Part Two by Shannon

7. ' Battle Lines ' Part One by Shannon

8. ' Battle Lines ' Part Two by Shannon

9. ' Battle Lines ' Part Three by Shannon

10. ' Battle Lines ' Part Four by Shannon

11. ' Battle Lines ' Part Five by Shannon

Part 1 by Shannon
Disclaimer I don't own them just like to play. PG I had to cut the language for school even though I have an advanced English class, they still don't appreciate foul language. Anyway I'm only 13 1/2.



Recovery
by Shannon




Parker had had enough of a vacation. Actually, medical leave. Boredom set in about two weeks ago. She needed to get back to work. She couldn't let Lyle have all the fun trying to catch Jarod. Then again it was nice that someone else went trapising around the globe after Sydney's god-damned lab rat. They were usually three steps behind to his two steps ahead, anyway. She should never have left Corporate. Daddy had pleaded with her to accept the reassignment, so she agreed but on her terms.

The only problem was that Jarod was always uncovering more dirt regarding the Centre and its little secrets, then was located in her flower beds. He probably thought they were a pathetic bunch of fools. Yet, she was nobody's fool. If it hadn't been for Jarod, she would still be completely loyal to the Centre, but they betrayed her one last time when they killed Thomas. Damn them!

She leaned her head back in the chaise lounge, her slender arm dangling a cut glass crystal tumbler filled with ginger ale, of all things. She was still on too many painkillers, that drinking was definitely out of the question. No more hospitals, she had enough of them too. First her ulcer perforates, then she gets shot by Raines goon, no less. Closing her lids on her blue eyes, a gentle breeze caresses her skin. The faint aroma of a cookout is carried to her nostrils.

‘‘Um,’‘; she murmurs, and a visual image of Jarod pops into her head. Startled by it, she wonders where that came from.

‘‘Oh, hell!’‘; she groans, yet continues to think that there really is something very ‘‘;edible’‘; about him. He reminds her of hot chocolate and caramels on a cold winter night, rich and decadently sinful. Or the smell of tanning oil and the bite of barbaque in the summer. Hard to hold yet so spicy. What an appetizing thought, Parker mused. Hell, thinking of Jarod was driving her crazy. She needed to get back to work. Smiling, Parker continued to dream about wonder-boy.

‘‘Sweet dreams, Miss Parker?’‘; a low male voice whispers from behind her.

‘‘Jarod!’‘; her eyes have only been closed for a moment or so it seemed.

‘‘From your smile, I'd say you were feeling better?’‘; he says stepping from behind the chaise lounge.

Standing before her dressed in a black cotton tee that fit like a tattoo, black jeans, and that infernal smirk was a sight that made a girl sit up and take notice. BOY! What this man did to one's senses. He was the main course, not the appetizer. She looked at this interesting speciman before her and wondered what it would feel like to have him in her bed.

Biting her lower lip, she tried to push those thoughts from her head, before he knew what she was thinking. He could read her like a book. Yet, confusion reigned, her body screamed for his touch.

‘‘What are you doing here, Jarod?’‘; she asks trying to maintain an edge to her voice.
‘‘First, to see for myself that you're alright. It's nice to know that I had a part in saving your life’‘; he answers her with a twinkle in his dark eyes

‘‘So, now you owe me!’‘

‘‘Excuse me?’‘; Parker inquires, sitting up in the chaise lounge.

‘‘Got your attention with that one, didn't I?’‘; Jarod smirks.

‘‘Just because you helped Daddy carry me out of the line of fire and applied pressure to the wound, doesn't give you hero status in my book!’‘; she replies caustically.

‘‘Ha ha!’‘; Jarod chuckles,’‘ Parker, I had my butt taken back to the cesspool because of you. I did more than just carry you to apply pressure. Whose blood do you think is flowing in your veins, right this minute?’‘

‘‘Bulls***!’‘; Parker snarls, all previous thoughts of Jarod pushed from her mind, ‘‘;Daddy said that. . .’‘;

‘‘Daddy says, daddy says,’‘ Jarod hisses, tauntingly, ‘‘LIES!’‘

Parker rises from the chaise lounge and stands almost nose to nose with Jarod, looking at him icily.

‘‘Prove it,’‘; she challenges him, knowing that its a mistake.

‘‘No problem.’‘; Jarod replies taking his cell phone from his pockey, ‘‘Call Sydney. Ask him! If that won't do, have Broots pull up your hospital records. You know that I've never lied to you about anything.’‘;

‘‘Sh**, that's just f***ing great. No wonder I can't get you out of my dre.

’‘Parker stops herself, short of spilling her guts to him.

‘‘Dreams,’‘; Jarod finishes the sentence for her, ‘‘Aw, shucks Parker. I'm flattered.’‘

‘‘Don't be. I dream about taking your butt back to the Centre’‘; she smiles as she pushes a lock of hair out of her face.

‘‘Good, then the second reason I came won't come as any great shock.’‘

‘‘What are you talking about?’‘; she demands.

‘‘I want you to take me in, Parker,’‘; Jarod whispers quietly, knowing this will capture her attention.

Parker looks at him, dumbfounded. For once speechless.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' The Innocent ' Part One and Two by Shannon
Disclaimer I don't own them NBC does.



Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon




Part I and part II


After processing what Jarod just said, Parker finally found her voice.

"I must be hearing things! Did you say take you in? As in back to the Centre, " she enunciates each word clearly, and shakes her head still shocked that he would even ask.

"You heard me."

"ARE YOU NUTS? For the past three years you have eluded me like the plague. And now you want me to take you in. What are you up to?"she glares at him.

"Miss Parker, if you would take that glare out of your stare for a minute, I will explain";he says amused," I need to get back inside, but believe me I have no intention of staying."

"Of course you'll stay. Do you really think that they'll let you escape again?" she replies, "You have escaped too many times."

‘’Please, Parker. Don't insult my intelligence. The centre can't hold me, but I need to go back for a few weeks.";

‘’WHY???"; she demands.

‘’Do you really want to know?"; he asks menacingly; ‘’You may not like what I discovered, I sure didn't. After all once you take me back, you get to walk away. That I will make sure of."

‘’And once you escape , again, then I have to come back and hunt you down all over.";

‘’I take that to be a no, then. That's fine. Perhaps Lyle would like to receive all of Daddy's approval for bringing the twisted little science experiment back home"; Jarod sneets, watching Parker bristle.

‘’Jarod, I'm not in the mood for games, not tonight. Tell me why you need to go back so badly and I will consider taking you in. How I am going to manage that though should prove interesting, considering that I'm out on medical leave";she replies rather wearily, but sees Jarod smirk.

‘’Why do I bother to even worry. You have it all worked out, don't you?"

‘’Uh huh. Now I'll be right back"; Jarod nods and retreats into Parker's house to return a few minutes later with her overnight case.

‘’Excuse me? Where the hell do you get off going into my bedroom?"; Parker snaps caustically.

‘’Road trip."; Jarod chuckles, knowing that Parker is irked by the fact that he managed to find his was around her house so easily.

‘’BUT . ..’’

‘’No buts, Parker. If you want to know, then let's go"; Jarod leads her down the deck of the porch to a small path that leads through the woods to a house directly behind her's. It is unoccupied, yet Jarod has the key to the garage door and ushers Parker in. Opening the door to a black Lexus ES300, Parker takes a seat in the comfortable leather seat as Jarod comes around after putting her overnight bag in the trunk. He opens the door and slides into the car, and reaches for his sunglasses.

‘’What about being followed? There were sweepers stationed outside my house. Just in case you should show up."; Parker comments.

‘’Taken care of . The sweepers left to follow up a lead about ten minutes ago. Now be a good little girl and fasten your seatbelt."

Jarod places the key in the ignition and reaches for a small remote that is located above the visor. Pressing it, the garage door silently opens and Jarod pulls the car out, then presses the remote once more to close the door.

The car deftly picks up speed and makes for the highway, Parker taking in the scenery, for its been a couple of weeks since she had even been ou of her house since the shooting.

‘’You realize that I now know where we are going"; she informs her driver.
‘’Do you? Parker relax. Once we reach our destination, I will tell you all that you need to know in order to make your desision."; Jarod replies rather annoyed with her. He reaches over and presses the paly button on the car's stereo, waiting. Gentle melodies of music, soflty fill the car as the two continue to travel on a road that only one knows.

*********6 HOURS LATER

Jarod turns onto a long concrete drive and pulls into the circle and cuts the engine. Glancing over at his passenger, who is asleep and has been for the past two hours. Looking so peaceful and content, he does not have the heart to try and wake her. So slowly he opens the passenger door and lifts her out of the car. Parker snuggles against his shoulder and slips and arm around his neck as he carries her into the georgian style house that loom in front of them.

‘’Dr. Brazelton, you're back? You made good time. Do you and the missus care for a lite supper? It's already. Let me bring it to the room."; a young girl rushes on breathlessly.

‘’Shhhhh, Maitland. The missus has had a long day and is extremely tired, so I will put her to bed and if she awakens later, I can get the supper that you have prepared for us. How is everything? Any problems?"; Jarod inquires.

‘’None, sir. The hospital called though, the Callahan baby is doing fine on the new medication. The parents are extremely grateful. They hope to see you in the morning"; the girl informs him.

‘’Thank you, Maitland. Now go and do whatever it is that young people like you do on Friday nights. I can take it from here"; Jarod glances down at the still sleeping form of Miss Parker. She would sleep awhile, due to the sleeping pill he gave her along with her painkillers. He hated that he had to do it but. . . .

‘’And Maitland, how many times must I tell you to call me Jarod"; he smiles.

‘’Good night DR. Braz. . .Jarod."

‘’Good night Maitland"; Jarod calls quietly over his shoulder as he ascends the stairs of the house. Reaching the top of the stairs, he opens the door to the bedroom and places Parker's sleeping form on the bed. He brushes the hair away from around her face and looks down at her, watching her sleep so peacefully. After a minute or two of wistful thinking, Jarod strides across the room to another door and enters it.Seeing the rocking chair that is illuminated by the small night light, he sinks into it slowly and closes his weary eyes.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' The Innocent ' Part Three by Shannon
Disclaimer I don't own them NBC does.



Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon





Part III

It was the next morning, sunlight crept through the blinds that covered the windows, and Parker was coming out of a deep slumber with that warm unrestrained feeling. She hadn't had the dream and was lazily wondering how to spend the day, when she realized this wasn't her bed. Or her room.

"Jarod," damn him, she thought, yet she had willingly agreed to this little jaunt into the unknown. God, had she heard him right last night, he wanted her to take him back to the Centre. Her head was going to start spinning, so instead she leaned back on the goosedown pillows and surveyed the bedroom, impressed by his impeccable taste. For someone, who spent his entire life sheltered from the real world, he sure had aquired a taste for the finer things in life. There had been no expense spared as far as this pretend was concerned. But then again, the lab rat had probably paid for it out of Centre funds. She laughed out loud at the thought. A sudden knock at the door pulled Parker back to reality and dealing with the fact that wonderboy had slipped her a sleeping pill.

"What?" she called out quite expecting Jarod to stroll causually into the room, but unprepared for the petite young girl that did, instead. An upturned nose, violet eyes, and a heart shaped face surrounded by auburn curls, she entered with a rattan breakfast try with a smile as wide as the Grand Canyon.

"Dr. Bra. . .Jarod was called to the hospital early this morning. He left instructions to make sure that you rested and he would join you for lunch, around noon, if not sooner, the girl rambled non-stop and placed the tray across Parker's lap. The aroma of coffee assailed Parker's nostrils, also on the tray was a bowl of fresh fruits- strawberries, cantaloupe, honeydew and bananas. Also in the small silver vase was a cluster of forget-me-nots. Parker turned her gaze from the tray to the young girl, who was drawing the blinds and opening the windows, allowing the morning light into the room.

"Excuse me, but do you have a moniker or something?" Parker asks really not wanting to be rude, for she was enjoying the pampering.

"Maitland Keating, Missus," she answered demurely," I hope that everything is to your liking, if not I can have Cook prepare somthing else."

"No, this is fine. You said that Jarod was called to the hospital this morning."

"Yes, Missus. He did not want to but it was a consult, a young infant was brought into the hospital with encephalitis. Dr. Jarod was specifically requested by the parents. He is so good with children, especaily your little. . ." Maitland broke off the conversation quickly.

Parker was still trying to absorb all the information and see if she could form an educated guess as to why Jarod needed to return to the centre. The only obvious conclusion was that it had something to do with children, as usual. The Innocent as he called them.

"The bathroom is located here," Maitland indicated the door to the right of Parker;s bed. Dr. Jaord explained that he bought the house as a surprise for you but that the accident kept you hospitalized for weeks," she replied, her perkiness beginning to grate on Parker's nerves.She hated morning people. She had other things to think about, anyway. Like just what was wonder boy up too.

"If you don't need me for anything else, I have things to attend too. Just leave the tray, I'll clear it later," and with that done Maitland Keating blew out of the room like a summer breeze.

Parker sipped her coffee and picked at the fruit before spying her overnight bag on the chair by a door that she presumed to be the closet. Extricating herself from the sheets, she padded over and opened the door. Not only did Jarod have impeccable taste in decor but exquisite taste in fashion. Parker ran her fingers over such designers as Vera Wong, Donna Karan, and Vesace. After selecting a pair of DK burgandy pants that tapered at the ankle and a white satin blouse, Parker scooped up her lingerie from the overnight case and headed for the bathroom. she opened the shower stall door and adjusted the temperature of the water. Stepping in she let the warm water cascade down her body, letting it loosen up her stiff shoulder. Still tyring to piece together what she knew, which was nothing, she still could not hazard a guess as to why anyone that was sane wanted to go back to the Centre. THATS IT, she thought, JAROD IS NO LONGER SANE. Reaching for the towel, Parker quickly dried off. Once her hair was brushed, makeup in place and outfit donned, Parker left the bathroom to discover that her breakfast tray had been removed and the bed made. She also noticed that the door to the left to the fireplace was partially ajar. Entering it cautiously, Parker was stunned to hear the sound of crying coming from the room, half expecting to find Maitland, she was shocked to look into a small round chubby face, blue eyes ,pouty lips, surrounded by reddish brown curls. She recognized this little face that stared up at her from the crib, for this face stared back at her everyday at work, in a framed photograph of her mother and. . .

"Oh my god," she murmured and reached down and picked up the infant,"Where did you come from little one?"

"That is probably one of the stupidest questions you will ever ask Parker," a deep voice from the doorway replied.

"Jarod, you have some explaining to do!" Parker said turning to face him still cuddling the infant.

"Deja vu," was all Jarod said and nodded his head.

The baby made a gurgling noise. Her tiny fist was over her mouth , so that it was a muffled noise. Jarod stared at Parker, blinking. Shaking his head, he stared at her again.

"Parker, I have something to tell you."

"Obviously."

"Parker, some strange incidents have been happening in area hospital, recently- - -"

Parker said nothing, just stared at him mutely.

"Parker," he said tightly.

"Tell me, why is it always your doorstep, so to speak? Why you?"

He was silent, he sensed, like a swirling tornado, her anger, frustration, and bewilderment. The baby's cry rang around them, tugging at Parker's heart.

"She hungery," she whispered, placing a knuckle by tiny lips, that sought it eagerly. He could only nod. There was a knock at the door. They stared at it, preoccupied, uncomprending, as if it were a knock from another world. The door opened, Maitland walked in, breaking the growing tension.

"Oh! I didn't hear you come home, Dr. Jarod. I have Jamie's bottle," Maitland said quietly, placing it into Parker's outstreched hand.

"Thank you Maitland. That will be all for now, " Parker addressed her curtily.

"Yes Maitland, that will be all for now. We can take it from here," Jarod said, a smile on his face as he ushered the young girl to the door.

"She sure is glad to have her mother back home," Maitland remarked before the door was gently closed beind her.

Jaord tried to hide the smirk that was about to grace his features at that innocent remark. After all, he had let the poor girl believe that Parker was this child's mother and his wife. God, Parker was going to relish the idea of returning him to the Centre, he thought. Turning around he fully expected to suffer the wrath of the Miss Parker, he knew. Instead, he found her rocking rythmically in the rocker, with Jamie securely nestled in her arms, contently suckling her bottle.

Casting him a side ways glance, Parker looked at Jarod with anticipation in her blue eyes.

"You said that you had something to tell me."

"Uh, huh!"Jarod ran his fingers through his hair befor taking a seat on the carpet in front of Parker and the baby.

"What do you know about project Gemini?"

"Enough to make me sick to my stomach. Why?"



TBC


PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' The Innocent ' Part Four by Shannon
Disclaimer in in part one Recovery. This is part 4. For those who have read it bear with me and for those who wish to thanks. I am using this in school so I will eventually let you know how I do on it.
Shannon




Recovery
' The Innocent '
by Shannon






Part IV

"Then you know how Raines used comatose patients for surrogates," Jarod said anger dripping like venom from his voice.

"Yes, Broots discovered that tidbit of information for me. In fact, I think that was the first time I ever saw the man drink, and straight, he was so replused by it." Parker cringed slightly at the memory.

"Well then to answer your question as to where this little one came from. Her mother was one of those comatose patients." Jarod informed her, as he watched her deftly burp the baby,then returned the bottle to an insistent mouth.

"Jarod, stop staring. Just get to the point. I take it that this little one is part of the reason you want to go back to the Centre."

"Sorry. Where was I? Oh yes, when I joined the staff of the hospital here, it was because two infants where born to comatose patients with no families, then the infants just disappeared.No trace of them at all unless you knew what to look for in the computer files. So when this one was born, I made her disappear, after I ran some tests. Suffice it to say the lab work came back and it was what I expected."

"She's me. Isn't she?" Parker said softly the later not a question but a statement of fact.

"Yes, but that's not the scary part, Parker, the other two. I found their files and. . ."

"Let me guess, you ." she watched Jarod nod his head in the affirmative.

"Just one, the other is Kyle. That's only half of it, its happening in other hospitals. Parker, the Centre is rebuilding the red files from the beginning but this time there are no families to interfere with their plans. There is no Catherine Parker to save them.

Parker's eyes locked with his eyes and both reflected frustration, anger and pain.

"Let me put her down for her nap," Jarod said as he got up and took Jamie from Parker's arms and rocked her back and forth, humming softly. The baby's eyelids drooped and slowly he walked over to the crib, still rocking her and put her down.

"She's half asleep, already," he whispered.

Parker shook her head in amazement at his easy way with the baby. Fatherhood fit him like a glove. They withdrew from the nursery and closed the door gently behind them. Parker was starting to regain some of her composure, after all that Jarod had told her, it left her feeling numb.

"Tell me about her? Everything!" she asked in a calm low voice, as they stood in the bedroom facing each other," Why Jamie?"

"She needed her own name, something no one could take away. Anyway, one Meg Parker is more than I can handle. So in honor of your mother, I opted to use Jamie. . ."

"For Jameson. Why not Catherine or even Faith?" Parker asked.

"That is for you to use, with your own children, Parker." Jarod replied.

"Highly doubtful," Parker answered him, " I've seen what happens at the Centre."

"What? No children of your own."

"Enough about whether or not I'll have children. Tell me about that child that's sleeping in that room, there." Parker said as she made herself comfortable on the bed.

"As I said earlier, her mother was used as a surrogate. A victim in her own right, really. A 17 year old child. Entire family destroyed by a drunk driver, yet someone on the hospital staff was in league with the Centre. With no remaining family, she was kept alive and inseminated. Unfortunately not all the medical tests on her were back and it was discovered that she was a diabetic. Little Jamie was premature and it was doubtful that she would survive."

"I suppose that you know who is using patients at the hospital?" Parker asked.

"Oh a greedy bastard, Head of the ER, Dr. Reginald Loomis, turns out that he went to medical school with our delightful Dr. Raines," Jarod spat.

"Is it just greed or is there more to this little partnership?"

"Oh course there is more. Loomis was about to lose his license and it seems that the Centre intervened. A coincidence, I don't think so," Jarod growled.

"How did you end up with the baby?"

"I was investigating the other two disappearances and when Jamie was born, I was called into consult. She was designated as a failure to thrive baby and there was the possibility of other complications, such as learning disabilities. Once I got all the lab results back, I knew what she was, so I doctored the charts. Then I made her just disappear too."

"And you are sure that Loomis is working for Raines?"

"Please Parker, the ghoul actually paid good ole Reggie a nocturnal visit. I have it on video, if you are interested. He was livid about the fact that this clone would be useless. His words not mine. Claimed that he would have to wait another 4 months for the next girl to be born. He said, and I quote, " I always realized that you were an incomptent fool, Reggie, but you were not the only one doing this for me. Next time you screw up, I will let the dogs have you."

Parker felt the rage for the man in her grow. He was a dead man, one way or another, he would pay.

"What happened to. . ." Parker did not need the answer for it showed in his dark eyes.

"Died during delivery," his voice was full of bitterness.

"So you want to go back to the Centre for what? Revenge, maybe?"

"In a sense. I need to find out what other hospitals are involved and I need to know where the others are? They are not being kept at Donoterase, that place was stripped clean. I went back, hoping to find something."

At that, there was a knock at the door.

"Dr. Jarod, uhm. . . Dr. Loomis is here to see you," Maitland announced.

"Damn. Thank you, Maitland. Show him to the my study and I will be down momentarily, " Jarod replied a bit annoyed at this interruption.

"Yes, sir," and with that Maitland withdrew.

"What does he want, Jarod? Is it possible that he knows what you are up to?"

"No," he mentioned something about stopping briefly. There is a dinner at the country club tonight and he wants me to go. Its a major fund raiser for the new trauma unit the hospital is trying to build."

"Well then, darling let's not keep the little drone waiting," Parker said a smirk forming on her features.

"Parker, this could be dangerous."

"I can take care of myself, wonder-boy, but I need to meet the other players in this game. Then I will decide."

"Decide what?"

"If I take you back to where the good times are!" she laughed as she opened the door to the hallway," Lead on McDuff!"

"Good times, my ass, Parker," he whispered in her ear.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Joining ' Part One by Shannon
Disclaimer: Don't own them just want to play. It will be hard to post with all the homework. Own Maitland, Jamie and Reggie.
To archive contact me. Feedback. Rated G. No swearing, no nudity, no nothing. Its clean. I amazed myself. Shannon





Recovery
' Joining '
by Shannon








Part V


Jarod led her down a corridor that was long and semi-dark, but she was intrigued to say the least. Down the passage, then to the right, then down two narrow steps, then to the left. There before them was a heavy, carved wooden door. He pushed it open very gently, revealing a big room with antique furniture decorating it. There was a bay window with its curtains drawn so that the sun shone through illuminating the man that was sitting in the black leather chair somewhat lost in thought. The man was dressed in a grey linen Brooks Brother suit, white shirt, and muted grey tie. His forehead was wide framed by white hair, hazel eyes that were readable to anyone who looked in them, a weak chin, and a long nose. Perched on the man's nose, which was excellent for looking down on people, were a pair of silver wire rim glasses that he continually pushed up with his forefinger.

"Jarod," his voice was slightly bostonian in pitch and he rose from the chair to reveal a tall yet scrawny frame.

"Reginald," Jarod replied extending his hand," Welcome to my .. . .our home."

"Thank you. I was admiring that beautiful painting that hangs above your mantle, totally captivated by the woman's beauty, when low and behold the angel stands here before me."

Parker found his tone patronizing and turned to look at the painting, only to be shocked by what she saw. It was a portrait of her, yet she was laughing amd happy. Her face animated in vibrant colors. Her hair was curled and tied up with a blue ribbon that matched her eyes. Her black lashes framed them and made them seem even a deeper shade then they truely were. The background was the park that she had frequented with her mother, when a little girl. She was sitting under a wonderfully enormous chestnut tree upon her mother's plaid blanket.

"The little girl?" Reginald asked.

"A friend." Parker answered as she walked closer to the painting so she could inspect it further. The girl was Debbie. Their picnic but how had he. . . .

"Lovley child, but the artist must have been extremely patient. It's not easy to capture an outdoor scene like that. So many variables. Who was the artist?" he asked.

"Why, my husband of course," Parker replied.

"Jarod, that is remarkable! Amazing. You are a man of many talents," Reginald droned on," What else can you do?"

"Many things." Jarod replied a sly smile forming," Reginald, I hate to inquire but the reason for your visit?"

"Yes, forgive me but I was hoping that you and your lovely wife. . .. "

"My goodness, Jarod, how rude of us. Faith. . .Faith Brazelton," Parker flashed her killer smile, and extended her hand. Reginald Loomis took it in his slender fingers and brought it to her lips.

"Enchanted, my dear. Truly enchanted. The masquerade is tonight. You will attend? Its to benefit the new trauma unit for the hospital." he gushed.

"I'm sorry, Reginald but Faith just arrived home, late last night and we really need some time together," Jarod spoke quietly.

"Nonsense, darling," Parker spoke up cutting Jarod off," a masquerade sounds wonderful. I finally get to met all those wonderful people you work with every day."

"But costumes. We have nothing and would have a hard time finding some on such short notice."

"This from the man who managed to plan our wedding, out of thin air. It was just amazing, Reginald. I still can't believe it even happened."

Parker shot Jarod a look that made him cringe. He was digging himself deeper and deeper into the grave as far as Parker was concerned. She'd take him back to the centre if only to torment him daily.

"Really! My dear, you must tell me all about it. . ." he was interrupted by a knock on the door. Maitland entered carrying Jamie, who had awoken from her nap.

"She won't take her bottle, Mrs. Brazelton. I think she wants her momma."

"Of course she does! Thank you for bringing her down."

Parker took the infant from the girl's arms and Jarod and Reginald watched the infant snuggle comfortable in them and eagerly attacked the bottle she placed in tiny lips.

"Jarod, you are a lucky man. A very lucky man. A beautiful and witty wife as well as a lovely baby. I do so hope you will attend tonight?'"

"Reginald, like I said .. . "

"Of course, we'll attend. I wouldn't miss it. What time?" Parker silenced him again with her piercing blue eyes, as she swiftly burped the baby.

"Eight! At the Manchester Woods Country Club." Reginald crowed," Oh this is splendid. Just splendid indeed. I'll see myself out. Jarod, Mrs. . . ."

"Faith, please, Reggie." she enjoyed watching Reginald Loomis wilt under her ministrations. Pretending certainly had its advantages.

"Faith it is then. I shall see you both at eight," and he exited the room with Maitland.

"Great, Parker. That's just great. What if Raines is there? Jarod spat angerily.

"Guess we'll have to find out. Won't we? And stop him from showing up!"

"Right! And what do we do for costumes?"

"You're the genius. Pretend you're a designer and design some," she smirked.

"What I'd like to design is a noose for that neck of your's," he retorted raising his hands as if to strangle her.

"Hush sweetheart, daddy didn't mean it. Did you, daddy?" Parker said as she brought a crying Jamie up to her cheek and calmed her. Jarod just glared at her as she waltzed out of the room a smug look on her face.

Once out in the corridor, Parker looked into sparkling blue eyes.

"He's the one that asked me to join him on this adventure, little one. Aggravating him is one of the perks." Parker laughed when Jamie gurgled happily.




PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Joining ' Part Two by Shannon
Disclaimer : Don't own them, Needed to play. FEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!!!!
Contact to archive.



Recovery
' Joining '
by Shannon









Part VI



Jarod stared at the door and glared. Damn her! She was totally exsperating but she was good. God, Reginald had fawned all over her. She certainaly had that effect on men. She played the game as good as if she had trained all her life for that particular moment. Jarod walked over to the portrait that hung on the wall above that mantle and swung it toward him. Quickly opening the safe , that was located behind it, he removed his laptop and set it on the desk. Time to find out if Raines was going to celebrate Halloween early. If he had plans to attend then Jarod had the perfect diversion for those idiots at the Centre. Broots would discover a major clue regarding the whereabouts of his father, brother and himself. Some 3000 miles away for here.

After this, he would talk to Parker about costumes, some how things would work out.

*************************************

Parker settled herself in the oak rocker and contently rocked little Jamie to sleep. She was restless and constantly putting her tiny fingers in her mouth. Gently placing her own finger in the baby's mouth, Parker discovered the reason. A tooth, just poking through the bottom gum. A knock at the door, interrupted the quiet.

"Yes!" Parker called out.

"Mrs. Brazelton," Maitland entered the room carring a garment bag which she hung on the clothes rack that was next to the closet," I think I can help as far as a costume for the masquerade tonight."

She preceded to unzip the garment bag and lifted out an exquisite looking dress.

"That is incredible," Parker murmured as she rose from the chair," where ever did you find this?"

"My final project for school, I am majoring in fashion design. It will need to be hemmed but other than that it should fit you like a glove."

"I couldn't. Its just to . . . ."

"No, I insist. If it weren't for this job, I would never been able to finish the year and intern with the designer of my dreams. Your husband has quite of few connections." Maitland smiled warmly.

"What do we do for Jaord, though." Parker inquired, smirking.

"Don't worry. I called a friend of mine. She owns an antique clothing store in town and she is sending over a few outfits for your approval first."

Parker laughed, and then gingerly placed a hand out to feel the silky material of the gown that Maitland was gracious enough to allow her to use for this evening festivities. She was beginning to wonder if the life Jarod led was more exciting than her own.

4hours later*****************************

Jarod looked up to see Parker standing at the top of the stairs, and all he could think of was a precious gem-a fine cut garnet, dark and beautiful, reflecting off her many facets, but burning with fire from within. She had outdone herself, with Maitland's help.Her costume was silk muslin of in a deep rich burgandy, with puffed sleeves that just skimmed her shoulders, the high empire waist encased her breasts and the long folds of the dress enveloped her body. Her dark hair was a cascade of ringlets pinned up and threaded with a dusty mauve ribbon and tiny garnet crystals. Extending a velvet slippered foot, Parker looked like she stepped out of a Jane Austen novel. Jarod was completely blown away. Descending the stairs with the grace of a dancer, she surveyed her own handiwork as far as Jarod was concerned. His frock coat was of black velvet, his white shirt was ascoted at the neck which gave his dark features a haunting yet dangerous appearance.

"So do I pass inspection?" she said coyly, freeing a fraction more of her small pale breasts from the top of her silk bodice.

"Indeed you do! " Jarod replied, shading slightly.

Parker smiled enjoying the admiration that shone in his eyes.

"But you are missing something."

"What?" she was puzzled.

Reaching into his pocket, he removed a small black velvet jeweler's box and opened it, revealing an exqusite heart shaped diamond ring and a platnium band of garnets. Parker was shocked. He took hold of her left hand and as he slid them onto her ring finger, she noticed a thin gold band on his finger.

"Perfect!" he said as he caught her eye with his and then leaned forward to whisper in her ear.

"So, Parker, what is your secret?"

"If I told you it would no longer be a secret," she said softly, bringing her fingers up to his cheek watching the diamond reflecting in the light," I prefer to remain an enigma."

With that said she took hold of his arm and he escorted her to the limousine that awaited to take them to the ball.

MANCHESTER WOODS COUNTRY CLUB

"You may lead, but only for tonight," she said teasingly.

Taking her hand, he headed to the top of the stairs that over looked the grand ballroom. He watched as all the heads turned in their direction. He had to admit, she was stunning and it was she that they were looking at. He was only there as window dressing.

"Let's go, wonder-boy," she commanded.

"Are you sure, Parker?" he asked prepared to turn and leave if she said no.

"Yes, I'm sure. You of all people should know that I do as I please," she said smiling, slyly.

At that same moment each took a step forward not realizing that after this evening things between them would never be the same. Something would change. Jarod caught Parker's perfume, delicate and rich like the rarest rose in the garden and she his familiar scent tinged with musk. They made their first public appearance as husband and wife, instead of huntress and hunted, even if only as a pretend. They slowly descended the grand staircase.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Battle Lines ' Part One by Shannon
The disclaimer is the same: don't own them just like to play with them. Contact to archive. Shannon



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon










Part VII

The guests of the Manchester Woods Country club filled the grand ballroom like royalty gathering for a lavish wedding. Black-tuxedo clad servers swept the elegantly costumed crowd, offering trays of crystal flutes filled with expensive champange, or butterfly shrimp in garlic sauce, or fried conch in black cherry glaze. The flames on the white tapers in the many silver candelabras flickered orange-red, casting unearthly shadows off glass windows and walls, while strains of "CHE GELIDA MANINA" from Puccini's opera La Boheme was played beautifully by the orchestra.

Parker and Jarod gracefullly descended the red-carpeted staircase to be greeted by Reginald, dressed as an english lord. He was accompanied by an older ash-blonde woman dressed as a southern belle.

"Jarod. Faith, my dear! Don't you look ravishing. Absolutely breathtaking, my dear," Reginald gushed.

"Thank you, Reggie," Parker smiled, coyly.

"Dr. Brazelton, its wonderful to see you again," the southern belle drawled, extending her hand to him,"This must be your lovely wife?. Reggie has done nothing but lavish high praise about you, my dear. I'm Sloane Montgomery, MD."

"Another collegue of my husband's. Pediatrics?" Parker inquired, taking hold of the hand that she offered to her as well.

"OB and GYN, so when you decide to add to that growing family, you look no farther. You hear?" the woman smiled, her hazel eyes twinkling.

Parker turned her head to cast a sideways glance at Jarod and tightened her grip on his hand, pressing her well manicured nails into his palm. She smiled,slightly, as he grimaced at the pain. He was beginning to think she was more trouble than this pretend. Perhaps he would work alone from now on, that is if Parker didn't kill him first, instead of returning him to the Centre. Something she still had not agreed to do, yet.

"When I decide to add to my delightful little family, you will be the first one I come to , but right now my hands are full with the two I have."

"Two?" Reggie quiered, a puzzled look on his face.

"Of course, Reggie. Jarod here is a handful. I never know what he has in store for me. I constantly have to chase him down, it can be totally exhausting," Parker quipped.

"But you love to chase me around, don't you honey?" Jarod wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer, before planting a delicate kiss on her lips. Parker felt her cheeks redden at the contact of his lips on hers. That was not part of the program and she would make that perfectly clear later.

"Oh my! Young love. To bring a blush to your wife's cheeks, how sweet," Sloane Montgomery said," Please excuse me, but I must mingle. As head chair of this fundraiser, it my duty to raise the funds. It's nasty work but someone has too?"

"Sloane, before you leave to pick the pockets of these unsuspecting people, just how close are we to the goal?" Jarod inquired.

"That my dear young man, is my little secret that shall be revealed just before dinner. Let me just say that a guardian angel has blessed us. If all goes well, we may break ground in the spring. Sister Joslyn claims that we received a generous donation this afternoon put we have to concede to a few requests. Just waiting to hear from Samantha Ravington. Unfortunately, she was delayed but her father-in-law arrived with apologies. Now I must mingle. See you both at dinner. Come Reggie."

"Interesting couple," Parker muttered.

"Couple, that's funny. Don't let Sloane hear you say that. She'll eat you alive. She detests the little worm but he is co-chair for this masqurade."

"So who is Samantha Ravington and Sister Joslyn?"

"Mrs. Ravington is the hospital's legal counsel and Sister Joslyn is the chairman of the board. Why, there she is now. Come, you really should met her. She is a remarkable woman. She use to work with Father More." Jarod said quietly, as he watched Parker turn to look him in the face, her blue eyes wide.

"Did she know . . . .?"

"Your mother, maybe. Ask her?"

"Does she know about the babies?"

"No and I don't want to tell her just yet. It's to dangerous."




PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Battle Lines ' Part Two by Shannon
The disclaimer is the same: don't own them just like to play with them. Contact to archive. Shannon

This is for Schuyler who asked for more

Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon








Part VIII


Jarod guided Parker over to where a shadowed form of a woman stood. As the candlelight caught her features, Jarod felt Parker's body stiffen as she held her breath, catching sight of Sister Joslyn. The middle aged woman with dark eyes that reflected sadness, happiness and understanding. She had an inner peace about her.She reached out with long, gentle fingers and cupped one side of Parker's face, studying her as an old woman might when admiring the face of an adored grandchild.

"I suppose you've been told how remarkable the resemblence is?" the woman whispered, softly, heard only by Parker.

"My mother?" Parker wanted to pull away, flee from her; she wanted to draw closer as well, to trust.

"Yes,child," her hand, moved delicately, firmly, to Parker's chin, one finger tracing the jaw. The radiance in her eyes grew as her finger moved. She stared at Parker, as if witnessing a miracle. Parker drew back, suddenly uncomfortable, frightened because of the emotion that surfaced by that simple touch: grief. Momma, she thought as she gasped a lungful of air and realized that she had been holding her breath.

"Come walk with me, child," the woman said, then leaned on her cane, and headed for the patio. Jarod looked over at Parker and saw uncertainity in her eyes. He smiled so as to help soothe her fear. She was not one to admit that any situation was hopless or in any way outside of her control; he could see she was apprehensive about this meeting.

"It's okay, really. I promise." he whispered in her ear and he watched her eyes shine with acceptance.

The patio caused a sense of deja vu in Parker, she tried to remember whether she had been here before or if it had been a dream. Sister Joslyn removed something from the folds of her habit, holidng it firmly in her long fingers.

"What is it?" Parker asked softly, as Sister Joslyn retreated to the low cobblestone wall and leaned against it.

"I'm entrusting it to you."

"Why?" Parker stiffened.

"It will lead you to the truth."

"Excuse me?" Parker felt used, she let Jarod and an old woman drag her into the past; to get to her deepest emotions in order to take advantage of her. To use her.

"Look at it!" Sister Joslyn' gaze was unyeilding.

It was foolish, yet Parker took the object the woman held out to her. A small square brown card, opening it Parker found a familiar face. The only problem with this face that instead of one, there were two. Identical Twins.

"Catherine and Victoria." the woman murmured as she limped past Parker and back into the ballroom, leaving Parker in the cool night air.

**********************************************************

Meanwhile, Jarod watched the scene on the patio unfold from a distance. This was her time and he was not going to intrude. If she needed to discuss it, then he would be there for her, later, but right now she needed to be alone. Lost in the thought that Parker was hurting, Jarod did not notice the man that walked up behind him.

"Samantha is going to be crushed. She had set about to win your heart, Jarod." the voice belonged to a sixty year old man with dark eyes and thinning hair.

"Evening, Jefferson," Jarod's tone was cold and a bit hard.

"Reggie and Sloane tell me that your wife finally arrived home. I was beginning to wonder if she even existed. Then again, glad to see that I was wrong." Jefferson Ravington spoke quietly, yet the sting was there.

"Would you like to meet her?" Jarod asked, " She's on the patio."

The two men strolled through the white curtained french doors, to where Jarod could see Parker standing, just staring into the dark starry sky.

"Darling! Are you alright?" he asked, keeping up the pretense for the man at his shoulder," There is someone I would like you to meet."

Parker turned toward the sound of Jarod's voice and looked into dark eyes and saw contempt, not for her but for the man that stood next to him.

"I was just wondering how the baby is. She cut her first tooth this afternoon and was very cranky. I hated to attend but I know how important your work is. Now please introduce me to this very distinguished gentleman." Parker smiled but it was only a half-hearted attempt.

"My wife, Faith Brazelton, Jefferson Ravington II. CEO of Pakor Foods." Jarod replied, hoping that Parker caught the connection. He looked into her blue eyes and saw that understanding was already at work, she reached out for his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze to say she understood.

"Why Mr. Ravington, it's a pleasure to meet you. Ah! Yes. Jarod has mentioned a Samantha Ravington. Any relation?" she oozed charm and Jarod was becoming more and more impressed with how easy she adapted to situations. Had to be the fact that they were raised in the Centre.

"Why yes! Samantha is my daughter-in-law and legal counsel for the hospital. I, myself, supply the hospital with all its food needs."

"And then some," Jarod muttered under his breath, Parker caught the fury in his eyes. This was how the hospital was getting the embryos for implantation. She realized that Jarod was right, he would have to go back. Question now was what role did she want to play in this disgusting enterprise? And what about the picture,Sister Joslyn gave her. Was this another of Daddy's lies? Did her mother have a sister? A twin sister?

"Jarod, darling. It's a bit chilly out here. I need to warm up. Let's go back inside and dance."

"My pleasure. You will excuse us, won't you Jefferson. I wish to dance with my lovely wife, for its been far to long that I held her in my arms." Jarod said as he extended his hand toward Parker, waiting for the smack that never came. She slipped her hand in his and they made their way to the dance floor, inside.

"One of Raines little puppets?" Parker spat.

"Yes, another player in this game." Jarod looked Parker in the eye and then back out on to the patio. He shuddered slightly when he made eye contact with Jefferson but threw him a smile.

"Is his daughter-in-law involved? Parker asked softly, as the two glided gracefully across the dance floor, totally oblivious to the fact that they were being watched. They looked like a couple made for each other.

"Not that I know of, but who knows? If the little gift I deposited on the boards doorstep this afternoon is turned down, then I will have to presume that Samantha is part of this ghastly experiment."

"What did you do? Jarod, what did you do? Nothing stupid."

"Parker have I ever done anything stupid?"

"To tell the truth, yes," she whispered.

"What?" he had not expected that reply.

"Instead of leaving me on the tarmac, you stuck around and managed to end up back in the Centre, for a month. I would say that was stupid," she laughed.

"Well I'm not there now, am I?" he laughed.

"No, but now you want to go back. Make up your mind. Stay or go."

"I only need to go back because people are playing god and that's not right. If I didn't need Raines files, I'd never go near the place again. And you know that!"

The orchestra had played the last note of the song and Jarod escorted Parker off of the dance floor and into a dark secluded corner of the ballroom, located near the patio that they had previously vacated.

"What do you think you are doing?" Parker asked, taking in the setting.

"Hush, woman. Jefferson and Reggie just left through that door in a damn hurry. Something's up! So just shut up so I can listen."

"Woman. . . . .how dare. . ." she began but he pushed her against the wall and then brought his lips down on her's and stood by the archway listening to a very heated discussion between the two men.



PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Battle Lines ' Part Three by Shannon
To all those who gave feedback thank you. So heres the litany of standard clauses
Disclaimer: Don't own them, no infringement on who does I just need to play.



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon









Part IX

Jarod and Parker stood just inside the ballroom, her back pressed hard against the wall, their lips locked together. From the patio, they could hear the agitated voices of the two men building up to a frenzied crescendo.

"My apologies, Parker," he whispered, sincerely, as he broke the contact their lips had just shared. A somewhat chagrined-look crossed Parker's features when she no longer felt his lips on hers.

Nice night to be seduced, thought Parker, then realized that it was Jarod who had kissed her. This was business and not pleasure. The fact that he had told her to shut up still burned in the back of her brain, let alone that he called her "woman." No one did that and walked away from her unscathed.

However, Jarod couldn't be entirely sure just who was seducing whom. This was "Parker" and she radiated pure sexuality. Jarod found it difficult to concentrate on the matter at hand, or even to remember what the matter at hand was. He had to stay focused, remember why he was------

Those lips, their softness, the fact that she did not resist. . . .

God, he might as well slap himself in the head, this was Parker.

"I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted," she said in a low sultry voice.

"Indeed. I wasn't expecting this to happen," he returned in hushed tones.

And at that moment both heard a name that caused them to straighten slightly and take notice.

*************************************

The evening had a chill in the air, the sky was a dark midnight blue and not a cloud could be seen. The two men stood huddled on the patio, there in the darkness, hoping that no one would interrupt them. Five minutes passed before Jefferson turned to Reggie, anger flashing in his eyes.

"So, where the hell is he? I thought you invited him?" Jefferson asked anger in his voice.

"I did, but we have more serious problems than him at the moment. The board received a rather generous donation toward the building of the trauma unit today, and well. . ."

"Well, what?" Jefferson spat.

"Samantha didn't tell you. It was accepted, concessions and all. The gift was in the amount of 5 million dollars. . . ."

"So. . . What does that have to do with our arrangement with".

"In order for the hospital to receive the money, the anonymous donor asked for two things. Sister Josylen agreed and Samantha did too. First the name of the unit will be known as the Thomas Gates Trauma Unit and secondly, Dr. Kalina Dimitrova is to head it."

"So where is the problem?" Jefferson voiced his question is an exasperated tone.

"The problem, my dear, Jefferson, is that Kalina knows Raines. . . ."

"That's wonderful. Isn't it? Another ally."

"Hell, no! She detests the man. He was married to her sister Anya and ther's no love lost. She will not allow him any where near this hospital. I actually believe that she would kill him if she saw him here."

"So we make sure she doesn't come here."

"Right! What do you want to do? Kill her?"

"Sure, why not? Raines has access to a squad of goons, let him take care of it. We are on thin ice with him anyway. If you had not blundered so badly with the last birth, he would not. . . ."

"It was not my fault. He would not listen. I told him not all the test results were back. Did he listen? No, he went ahead with the procedure anyway. That the child was premature, and ill was not my fault. It happens, infants die. Anyway we pawned that infant off on Brazelton. He doesn't have a clue as to what those infants are?"

"I hope you are right? I just feel uncomfortable around him. He's to smart for his own good and that wife of his doesn't strike me as stupid either." Jefferson retorted.

"Please, Faith Brazelton has an infant daughter at home to take care of. She won't be a problem." Reggie returned.

"Fine, so, when do we meet with Raines? I have the newest shipment of . . . "

"Shut up you fool, someone might hear you. Tomorrow. Edgebrooke Park at five. Can you make it?"

"No problem, I'll be there." Jefferson said as he turned to return into the ballroom," I should get back inside. Samantha should have arrived by now. I want some more information on this anonymous benefactor the hospital suddenly seems to have found."

"Fine. Go back in. I think that I will stay out here for a while. My nerves are shot. I think I'll enjoy one of my cigars before rejoining the festivities"

****************************

Jarod looked into Parker's blue eyes and smiled. Both understood what just transpired between the two men on the patio. They received more information regarding Raines sick operation then they had hoped for.

"So he was supposed to be here?" Parker whispered in his ear,"What did you do to prevent him from coming?"

"If Broots found the clue I left. Raines and company took a jaunt to the West Coast and came up empty handed. Now before we get caught eavesdropping, may I escort my lovely wife on a tour of the rose gardens." Jarod said and offered Parker his arm.

"Of course you may."

The two strolled casually out onto the patio and greeted the two men with smiles and continued to walk into the rose gardens, heads together in serious discussion.





Feedback please! I will be using this story series in my English class. Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Battle Lines ' Part Four by Shannon
Disclaimer is in part one. Contact to archive. Shannon



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon




Part X

The moment they were out of sight of the two men, Parker turned to Jarod and looked into troubled eyes.

"Thank you," Parker said quietly.

"For what?" he smiled and knew what she was thanking him for. It was the least he could do, asking the board to name the new wing after Thomas, a small legacy for a dead man. Murdered because he loved her.

"It was the Centre's money. They owed you, if not more." he said, a frown crossing his features.

"What's wrong? You look worried." she asked.

"Of course I'm worried, I need to be at that meeting tomorrow. I was just thinking of how to do just that, without tipping my hand." Jarod replied, an undercurrent of anger in his voice, " If Raines or his goon squad sees either of us, this current little project of his will succeed."

Parker shook her head in agreement. That was all she needed, Raines to find her working with Jarod. There would be no getting out of that mess. Her train of thought suddenly broken by the faint rustling of a rose bush behind Jarod. She stood on her tiptoes and gently kissed him. He did nothing to stop her. It was doubtful he could have, so he returned her kisses with equal passion, if not more, and hungerily locked lips.

He ran his hand along the length of her body, then suddenly stopped and looked her in the eyes.

"WHY?" he whispered, barely audible, due to his inability to catch his breath.

"Someone's watching." she whispered, her lips next to his ear, her cheek against his, and her arms still gripping his shoulders.

"What?" he stared at her.

"Behind you. No! Don't turn around. Reggie followed us. This time you shut up and follow my lead," she whispered and preceded to kiss him again, her hands cupping his face, his arms wrapping around her waist pulling her closer to him.

"This wasn't part of the pretend. . ." he whispered to her as her lips left a trail of lite kisses down his neck, her eyes still on the intruder.

"I know, but we have an audience. Make it look good. . ." Parker suddenly moaned, albeit softly but a moan nonetheless, as Jarod's hand caught her by the back of the neck and left his own trail of kisses down her neck and shoulder.

The next sound the two heard was the rather impatient gaffaw from Reggie. Breaking their embrace, they turned to face him, each rather flustered that the pretend got away from them.

"Sorry to interrupt, but they are about ready to make the announcement regarding the trauma unit and dinner will be served after. Oh! Sister Joslyn wishes that the two of you join her for dinner, " he turned and left the couple, who looked sheepishly at each other, wondering what just transpired between them. All he wanted was her commitment to help him get back into the Centre so he could retrieve the files regarding Raines cloning project. All she wanted was to take him back, whether he stayed or escaped again, she didn't care, he promised that she would be free from the Centre. And if anyone could do that, it would be him. Neither expected to be standing in the middle of a rose garden exploring each others mouths and for all intense purposes,seeming to enjoy it.

"I guess we had better find our seats for dinner. Don't you?" Jarod said softly, turning away from her.

" Seats. . . oh, for dinner. . . Yes, I wish to talk to Sister Joslyn some more." Parker tried to change the subject, trying not to look at him either.





Feedback please! Giglbarbe@aol.com
' Battle Lines ' Part Five by Shannon
Disclaimer is in part 1. This is for Niceole and Trish who continually nagged me and told me in no uncertain terms no more round robins if I don't finish a new part. .and when a girl is down with mono there isn't much on can do but rest and write....okay so its late and I've done more round robins than stories. . . . .the first ten parts are at www.the-pretender.de



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon




Part XI

Parker and Jarod walked out of the rose garden, shrouded in silence. Each deep in their own thoughts about what had just happened. She was furious at herself, from being spyed upon to going along with this pretend was one thing, but to get so caught up in the moment was a whole other game. Darting a sideways glance at Jarod, Parker saw that he was lost in his own set of thoughts. His dark eyes were darker, his brow furrowed, as though he was comprehending what had transpired between them also.

God, he thought, she felt so good in his arms, his mouth to hers, her body pressed against his. He hadn't realized that having her here was going to be such a distraction. That hadn't been part of the plan. Hell, it never even occurred to him. He had simmed this little pretend, and never in his sim, let alone his wildest dreams, did making out with Parker even enter into the picture. That's not exactly true, he chided himseelf, kissing her occasionally had entered into the picture, but not like long time lovers. Or did it, he smiled, slightly, then buried it when he caught her watching him.

They were greeted at the patio doors by Reginald and Sloane, who directed them to the table up front, which seemed to be the center of attention. And why shouldn't it, for at the head of it sat the regal Sister Joslyn. She smiled warmly and indicated the seats on each side of her for the couple. Jarod pulled out the chair on the right of Sister Joslyn and extended his hand for Parker to sit. As he pushed the chair in toward the table his fingers brushed her forearms sending shivers down her spine.

"Did you two enjoy the rose garden?" the older woman asked, a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eyes. Parker felt her cheeks flood with warmth and images of what happened in the garden flashed through her mind. Jarod took his seat opposite of Parker and noticed the pink bloom to her cheeks.

"The roses were lovely but only one caught my eye," his eyes locked with Parker's and her cheeks shaded even more.

"Really! Which one was that?"

"The bud that is barely open, for the surprise is in the bloom."

"Well said, Jarod, well said," Sister Joslyn, smiled, a tiny barely there smile on her features," How is little Jamie doing, if I might ask?"

Taking this opportunity, Parker turned to look at the woman who had just an hour or two earlier given her a picture of not only her mother but her twin sister also.

"Jamie cut a tooth, today."

"There will be many sleepless nights ahead," Sister remarked, returning Parker's gaze," Why don't you and young Jamie have supper with me tomorrow, my dear? I know that you have many questions and this isn't the place to talk."

Parker nodded, as though this woman had read her mind and didn't leave anything hidden. She locked onto Jarod's dark chocolate eyes, and saw him grin, that rather irritating smirk of his.

"And you will join us won't you, Jarod?" Sister Joslyn stated.

"Of course," he smiled.

"Good, Edgebrook Estates, number 12 at four," the woman rose from her chair," Now if you will excuse me, but I have a major announcement to make regarding the trauma unit. The middle-aged woman made her way to the podium that housed the orchestra. She slowly climbed the stairs aided by an attractive thirtyish-something young woman. Her dark brown hair was pulled up in a chignon with small strands framing her oval face. She took a place next to Sister Joslyn at the podium, and cast a quick glance in Jarod's direction, her features furrowing when she noticed that Jarod only had eyes for the stunning woman that sat on Sister's right. Parker smiled slightly as she caught sight of the green eyed monster that flickered across Samantha Ravington's face.

"Something amusing you, Parker?" Jarod whispered as he slid into the vacated seat, taking hold of her hand.

"She's jealous, and of a fictious couple," Parker purred," If I didn't know better, I'd wonder if you did anything to encourage it."

"MOI," Jarod said shocked. Her laughter floated through the ballroom, and her blue eyes glittered in the firelight from the candles that decorated the tables, "Perhaps the green eyed monster is of your own making, Parker."

Her eyes narrowed and she started to protest when he placed a thumb on her lips to silence her.

"Me thinks that the lady doth protest too much," he whispered as he moved closer to her, his hand now cupping her chin and lifting it toward his lowering lips.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I now turn tonight's festivites over to Sister Joslyn."

The applause was thunderous as the woman took a position in front of the microphone.

"Samantha,my dear, thank you. Ladies, gentlemen and colleagues, it is with great pleasure that I can make the announcment that the goal for the trauma unit was reached at four this afternoon. An unknown benefactor was gracious enough to fund the new unit, now known as the Thomas Gate's Trauma Center. And at six this evening, the distinugished and respected Dr. Kalina Dimitrova accepted the position to head it. And as an added bonus and incentive to lure the best residents here, a scholarship program has also been established, its purpose to allow the best and brightest residents who wish to work in the trauma unit the chance to do so. The Jamieson scholarship program will be headed up by Dr. Jarod Brazelton and his lovely wife, Faith," Sister said, stunning the room into silence, momentarily, then to a roar of appaluse, again.

Jarod felt her whole body tense then freeze as he pulled his lips away from hers, the look in her eyes almost murderous.

"If they take our picture, we're, no, let me amend that, you're dead," she whispered into his ear.

"I didn't know she was going to do that, Parker, believe me, please, " he looked at her with dark brown eyes, "You wouldn't do that to our daughter, would you, leave her fatherless, or would you?"

"Low, labrat, that was low," she returned his grin, her lips mere inches from his, her breath warm on his face, her eyes twinkling mirthfully.


TBC



Feedback please! Giglbarbe@aol.com
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=3982