In Breaking News by Nikita_eve
Summary: new addtion for the hunting game
Categories: Alternate Universe Characters: Broots, Jarod, Miss Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Angst, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 8568 Read: 15286 Published: 17/08/05 Updated: 17/08/05

1. Part 1 by Nikita_eve

2. Part 2 by Nikita_eve

3. Part 3 by Nikita_eve

4. Part 4 by Nikita_eve

5. Part 5 by Nikita_eve

Part 1 by Nikita_eve
Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.




In Breaking News

part 1
by Nikita_Eve




Blue Cove, Delaware:
The Centre



'Another pretender?' Nikita thought. "Another pretender?" She repeated, this time aloud. After 23 years at the Centre- for as long as she could remember- she had never faced such a daunting, yet exciting possibility. She could already imagine the fun they could have together; she had never had a real friend before. But where was he? She had never seen anyone else like her here.

"I'm afraid so." interrupted Mr. Raines.

Her fantasy shattered. She snapped her head up and returned to reality. Yep, just wheezy.

"He escaped almost 5 years ago and he's been on a killing spree since last week. All our efforts to stop him have been thwarted; he's just too smart. What makes it especially sick is he helps these people before he kills them. He likes to play the hero." He took a dramatic pause as if he felt for the victims. He'd been acting weird since he found God. " Anyway. " He said returning from his reverie." The important thing is that you catch him. I'll give you my best people to work with and every resource at your disposal. Understood?"

"Yes sir." She said not revealing her disappointment.

"Good. Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots will be waiting for you outside my office. They will brief you on anything you need to know about Jarod. You may leave now. " Jarod, huh? She thought. Funny that Wheezy hardly mentioned his name. She suppressed a chill as she passed by him on the way out. He always gave her the creeps.

Outside waited an odd pair: A tall brown haired woman w/ nice clothes, Miss Parker, she assumed, and an older distinguished looking man in his sixties. No, make that an odd group, a balding man was slightly cowering to the side. She walked up to the woman and stuck out her hand. " Hi, I'm Nikita. Nice to meet you, Miss Parker."

"You must be the other pretender. " She took Nikita's hand and muttered. "Any relation to Frankenboy?"

"No." She said "Is that German?"

Ms Parker laughed. The older man nodded in her direction. "Sydney."

Nikita turned to the cowering man- that had come in a little closer- and said, " You must be Broots."

He looked up at her as if startled. " Uh yeah, that's me. If you ever need to know anything about Jarod, oh or computers, I'm your man. " He chuckled nervously.

"Don't worry. We don't let him out at night. " Ms. Parker said to Nikita.

Broots looked at Nikita, a little embarrassed. "She's just kidding." He laughed again.

Ms Parker snorted and changed the subject. Taking her arm and leading her to her office. " So, where shall we start?"

******

Five hours later she had assimilated everything Jarod had done on the outside. Focusing especially on his actions over the past week. It just didn't make any sense. How does someone go from being altruistic to serial killer? Drugs; or maybe a mental breakdown that had been coming for years?

"Hey Sydney, you have known Jarod almost all his life, right? Why would he suddenly snap? "

"I don't know Nikita. He was never meant for the outside world. Who knows if he can even distinguish between right and wrong anymore? That's why we need to get him back. " Sydney felt a little twinge of guilt for lying, but if he thought she could get Jarod back . . . . .

"Okay; I think I know where to find him. " She said with some reservation. She had a feeling they weren't telling her everything. " I narrowed it down to two newspaper clippings, and Intel from one of the places indicated he wasn't there. I got a positive confirmation from this one here." She printed out the clipping, handing a copy to Sydney, Broots, and Ms. Parker.

Ms Parker quickly scanned over the article. She looked up and flashed what was sure to be a rare grin. "Today's my lucky day. The jet can be ready in 15 minutes"

"Wait. " Nikita said to Ms Parker- who was already halfway out the door- " I think we should try a different approach. Every time you have gone in waving your guns he gets away."

"And why is that? " She pulled a cigarette out, lit it, and inhaled a deep long drag before she leaned forward, blowing it in Nikita's face. "Are you saying I don't know how to do my job?"

Before Nikita could answer, Sydney jumped in. " I think Nikita has a point, maybe a more discreet approach could work."

"Great, now Jarod has another mommy. " She waved her hands emphatically at the last word. "What are you suggesting?" She asked in a more restrained voice.

"I could go undercover. When I get close to him, I grab him."

"Yeah and we could be your backup, " Broots nodded enthusiastically.

"Shut up Broots." Ms. Parker turned back toward the younger woman. "Nikita, they let you outside?"

"Yes, unlike Jarod I was allowed to work on the outside for certain Sims, but I was always safe. There were sweepers nearby to ensure my safety."

"Safety, or presence? " Asked Broots, laughing at his own joke.

"And they didn't worry about you, umm. . , escaping? " Ms Parker sounded surprised.

"Why would I want to leave the Centre? It is the best place to fully maximize my potential." She responded. Her cobalt blue eyes stared at Ms. Parker innocently.

"Well, then I guess someone finally realizes where they belong. Oh, and we are going with you. " She grinned at Broots, " So if you are wrong, we can serve you up on a silver platter to the Triumvirate." She pulled out her phone, " Fire up the jet. " She ordered and clicked it shut. " Saddle up boys. We're going to Texas. "

******

Austin, Texas:

Jarod looked up from his paper, grinning, it read: Al Bore arrested for attempted assassination on president elect Jeorge W. Gush; FBI agents hard work to thank.

"Job well done everyone. We always knew this one would snap, " said one of the special agents, "We just need to tie up a couple of loose ends and finish some paper work. So, we can all go home."

"Good, those secret service agents were starting to annoy me. They can't even baby-sit the President by themselves. " said another. Everyone laughed.

Home, Jarod mused. Where should he go next? They would never think to look for him here- too public. They'll come eventually though. I probably have a week. He excused himself from the room and called Sydney.

"Sydney here."

"Hi Sydney."

"Jarod, how have you been? It's been a while."

"I tried your office; where are you? Sydney, are you in an airplane?"

"Very clever Jarod."

Jarod tensed up slightly, " Where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm overdue for a vacation. Why so interested?"

Jarod laughed. " I thought you had already found me."

"No, I didn't find you; although, as Ms. Parker would say, the world is changing. Just be careful, okay? Ghosts from your past can come back to haunt you."

"And I thought it was my job to play games with you. "

Sydney let out a forced laugh. " Just watch out for ghosts, okay Jarod? I have to go."

Hmm, Jarod thought, that was strange. As if anything to do with the Centre wasn't. What did he mean about ghosts, though? Someone from his past that he brought to justice? But they weren't dead. Dead? Oh no. He remembered about 24 years ago the Centre told him that he had accidentally killed someone's parents. A young girl; she was four or five when she was brought to the Centre. They said he had given the Centre faulty information on a sim. Mr. Raines told him he couldn't mention her to anyone, or meet her, because she would hate him for killing her parents.

One of the first things he did when he got out was to check that out. It turned out that Mr. Raines had kidnapped the girl just like he kidnapped him. He knew nothing else about her, if she was still in the Centre, or anything. But still, if he had been responsible in any way . . . Sydney would tell him. He looked up and realized he was back at his apartment. He barely noticed that he had been driving. He pulled into the driveway and went inside.

He sat at his computer and fidgeted nervously at the screen. Finally he grabbed his phone and called Sydney.

"Hey Sydney. " He said anxiously.

"Jarod. " Sydney responded enthusiastically.

"Tell me about something. " Jarod continued.

"About what? "

" 24 years ago there was a little girl, 4 or 5. The Centre said I killed her parents with faulty sim information. She was a pretender too. They said I couldn't mention her to anyone. What was her name? I don't know; I did some digging, no pun intended, on Raines' story and it didn't check out. Records show her parents died in a car crash. I came across a codename for her project: Scorpio. Maybe her sign?" he hurried.

"Slow down Jarod "

"And I don't even know if her parents are dead- they said the car exploded and burned for a while- no remains were found. Sydney, I have to know if I'm responsible for her parents' death- for bringing her to the Centre. " His voice was filled with a mixture of guilt and disgust.

"I'm sorry, but what do you want from me? "

"I need the Centre mainframe access code for tomorrow. "

There was an awkward silence. " I don't think I can help you with this one."

"Why not Sydney? "

" Because, you might not need to find her." Sydney hung the phone.

'Hmm.' He thought putting the phone down. Maybe she will find me.

******

Austin, Texas
The Centre Jet


"Finally, we're here. " Ms. Parker fumed. " We could have walked here faster ".

"Actually, it would take about 8 days to walk here; but who's counting? "

"You're a genius all right; but an hour to get clearance to land? And they went through all our stuff."

"It's probably because of what happened with Gush and Bore; tighter security. " Nikita replied.

"You think? " Ms Parker snipped. " I didn't even vote for that moron, but he found a way to ruin my day. No, it was probably Special Agent Jarod Sykes' fault; he knew we'd come eventually. But this time were not one step behind." she flashed a wicked smile at everyone. " I wonder what I'll do with him first? " she pulled a cigarette out and twirled it around in her fingers. Sydney and Broots exchanged an amused look. " What? " Ms. Parker defended herself with a galre. " He's put me through so much, all of us. Except maybe you Nikita " Sydney looked away and shifted uncomfortably. " what is it Syd? Don't tell me Jarod did something to Nikita too? " She asked sarcastically.

"There may be some past there " Sydney responded. " you never know in the Centre ".

"Nikita, here's your ID"; he printed out the rest of the information for her. Special agent Nikita Wilkes. She absorbed the rest of the information; filing it back for later reference: current status: undercover- investigating special agent Jarod Sykes. Undercover ID: the room service lady; objective: break into agent Sykes' computer, get any information on fowl play. Nikita's actual objective: get caught and exposed as an undercover agent. Got it, she thought. So when he knows
I'm lying, he'll think its just about being a room service lady. " Got it ", she said to Broots, and stuck the paper in the shredder. " we don't want anyone else to see this ".

"Lets go " said Ms. Parker. Funny, Ms Parker thought, Sydney has been awfully quiet; she could've sworn she heard him talking to Jarod earlier.

Nikita stepped out of the plane, not waiting for the others; she smiled and inhaled. Ah, fresh air, she thought. Sydney, Broots, and Ms Parker lagged behind a little.

"Man, what kind of lies have they been feeding her, Syd? " Ms Parker asked.

"The same we fed Jarod " Sydney sighed and looked away. " She's very bright, it's only a matter of time before she finds out the truth."

"Well, just in case her loyalty doesn't last, " Ms Parker opened her jacket revealing her gun; letting the sentence finish itself.

"Hurry up! " Nikita yelled back at them.

"Curious Georgette goes to the airport. " Ms Parker muttered to them.

"Coming! " She said loudly enough to be heard.

"I guess this is frankengirl's first field trip."

"What's this?" They heard a giggle from ahead.

"Come on, we better catch up. " Ms Parker replied.

They arrived to find Nikita staring at a piece of pizza. " So let me get this strait, you make a container out of bread, and you pile all of these . . . pieces of sliced processed meat and vegetables-"

"They're called toppings. " He interjected.

"On top." She finished. "I see. May I have one piece please."

"Okay, that's gonna run you 3 big ones." Nikita looked a little perplexed and reach into her wallet. "I have three regular sized ones." She handed him $3.

"Funny." He said. "Hey, where is she from guys? Who hasn't heard of pizza?"

As Nikita was wandering away and eating her pizza, Ms Parker leaned in and told the man, "She's a little, " She pursed her lips and glanced down for a second and gave him an innocent look, "you know, slow; everything is kind of new to her. "

Broots giggled loudly.

"No comments from the peanut gallery. " She glared at him. Her innocent expression left faster than it had appeared.

"We'll have 3 more slices, thanks. I think we'd better be going now." Said Sydney.

Ms Parker grinned at them, "Wait till she finds out about shopping."

"Careful Parker, you might be starting to develop a normal relationship."

She tried to shrug off that ridiculous notion, but couldn't help but realize the similarities between Nikita and Jarod. If circumstances had been different with Jarod . . .what am I thinking, she chided herself.

"Lets go guys."

They finished their pizza and hurried to their hotel; stopping only for occasional explanations and miraculous discoveries by Nikita.

When they arrived, they checked into their rooms with Nikita and Ms Parker sharing one, and Broots and Sydney sharing next door. After they unpacked and settled in, Broots set up Nikita's computer/ workstation.

"Here you go, Nikita, " said Broots. He took the mouse and explained the system, where everything was. "You have unlimited access to the Internet. And...." He said grinning, and looked around as if someone might be listening to them; he lowered his voice. "...if you need to get into any top secret files, I made this excellent decryption program- guaranteed to get you in any military and civilian system (excluding the Centre) in two hours. Welcome to the Quantico FBI academy." Broots said, pulling up her first training exercise.

"Thank you Broots. " She flashed him a smile as she slid into her chair.

"Come on yawl." Ms Parker drawled . "Lets go check out the mini bar."

"If you don't mind Nikita, I'd like to stay with you " Sydney said with restrained anticipation.

"Sure." said Nikita.

"Good, you won't even know I'm here." said Sydney, setting up his video camera.

"Look they're making a video " Broots commented innocently.

Ms Parker let out a snicker, but quickly contained it.

"What? " Broots asked.

"The way you said that? " she gave in to her snicker, no longer able to help herself. She led Broots out the door and patted him on his back. "Let's just say it's the kind of movie that you need your mommy with you to see. "

"A . . .puh puh ... " Broots trailed off, unable to finish the sentence.

"It's called a porno..." She laughed, articulating the last word. "...one day I'll tell you all about it."
Part 2 by Nikita_eve
Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 2
by Nikita_Eve




******

Nikita sailed through everything on the FBI in a couple of hours, and rewrote Broots' program to get into any system in 30 minutes, and adapted it to break into Jarod's computer in 10 minutes. She also broke into the triumvirates email account and was monitoring all emails in the Centre. She intercepted an email from the triumvirate to Raines. She also did a discreet search (off screen) on the articles Raines had given her about the people Jarod had murdered. They were all alive and well. This infuriated her. Why had Raines lied to her- did he think she would bring him in only if he was a monster? Maybe she could get something out of Sydney.

"I'm done." she said to Sydney.

"Fascinating." Sydney said, leaning over Nikita's shoulder.

I have never worked with another pretender before now. You seem to have a more developed intuition than Jarod."

"Tell me about him." she said, testing him.

"What do you want to know? I've already told you everything I can think of ." He said shrugging.

Nikita reached over and turned the camera off. She turned her back to the surveillance camera that was in the corner, lifted up her shirt and pointed to the wire that was taped to her stomach. " We're being listened to. And we're being watched. " She mouthed, nodding in the direction of the surveillance camera. She ripped the wire off her stomach and removed her shirt and said into the bug, " sorry Raines, I'd like some privacy now." She crushed the bug under her feet and led Sydney over to the bed and threw her shirt at him. "Wait here." She teased.

She walked over to the surveillance camera and waved to it, "Bye, wheezy, see you in an hour or so." She added a little message to Lyle before unpluging it from the wall.

She did a quick scan of the room to make sure she hadn't missed any bugs, and patted Sydney down before she went back over to the bed. Sydney sat amused, and handed her back her shirt.

"Where did you learn that?" He asked, still amused.

"I saw a movie on laser disk on the plane. Ms Parker called it sex Ed 101? Whatever that means. "

"Ha, that sounds like Ms Parker ".

"I need to talk to you ," she sat down next to him, about to put her shirt back on; when Ms Parker and Broots opened the door.

"Aaah." Everyone screamed in unison. Nikita wrestled with her shirt and pulled it back on. Everyone was quiet for a second, and then all hell broke loose. Broots was the first to say something.

"Ms Parker..." Broots pointed at them with his mouth open wide, "....you were right. And look?" he said, pointing at the cameras.

"This isn't how it looks." Nikita and Sydney said.

"The video." Nikita explained. "He was just trying to see if I'm better than Jarod."

"Oh my god." Ms Parker screamed, throwing her hands up, turning her head away. "No wonder Jarod is so screwed up.

"No, that came out wrong " Sydney said.

"Nikita, I didn't want you to try what I showed you on the first guy you saw ". Ms Parker yelled.

"And what did you show her? " Broots accused with a grin, " a little manage `a Parker? ".

"Oh you are dead." She glared at Broots, " later ". "First, you two...." She said trying to calm herself and the situation down. "....what the hell is going on?"

"I was just trying to distract Raines so that I could speak privately with Sydney. He said if I wanted any, uhumhh, privacy I could unplug for a couple hours. I didn't want it to look suspicious " she said.

"Um, sweetie, do you call jumping on Sydney inconspicuous? " Ms Parker was exasperated. " but what the hell is Raines doing bugging us? ".

"I guess I'd better talk to all of you; this concerns all of you. "

"Well, what is it? " Ms Parker asked.

"I'll tell you if you tell me why the Centre really wants Jarod back ".

"You see, " Ms Parker opended her coat, revealing her gun. " I don't think you are in any position to bargain " She said pointing the gun at Nikita.

"Actually, I am " She said. "Only I know how to decrypt the email file. All his dirty little secrets die with him. And besides...." Nikita grabbed Ms Parker's gun and pointing it at her head. "Boom." She said pulling the trigger. "I removed your firing pin."

"Give me that." Ms Parker grabbed the gun from her. "And my pin." She held out her hand.

"Here." She handed it over.

"Fine."

Ms Parker said. " I'll play your little game. But if you are lying- just to mess with me" she grabbed her wrist. " I may not have authority to kill you, but I can make your stay very unpleasant."

"Okay." Nikita said printing out the email on the computer. " this is from the triumvirate to Mr. Raines" she said, handing a copy to each of them.

Ms Parker read over the file, first impatiently, then completely engrossed; her expression fell and she slumped onto the bed. " Daddy." She whispered. "Oh my god, if we bring back Jarod" she said. Blinking back tears, Parker stared at the rest of them. She let the email drop from her hand. "We will just be 'confirming suspicions of sabotage of the Jarod capture' ." she quoted the email. Everyone else sat quiet. " That son-of-a-bitch " she seperated each syllable. " Raines is going to serve up my father to the triumvirate." her expression hardened.

"And we're the appetizer." Broots added. The termination list included
them.

"Not if we get to him first." Ms Parker looked up at the rest with cruel smile. "I'll personally dismember Raines for the Centre. "

"Thank you, Nikita " Ms Parker said, wiping away her tears and gave Nikita a hug, still in a little shock from the news. Ms Parker took a deep breath. " Sydney, you tell her " Parker looked over at the older man.

" The Centre wants Jarod because he is a pretender, just like you ".

"And . . .? " Nikita probed.

" That's all " Sydney assured her.

" Nikita, have you ever wondered what the Centre does with all of that research you churn out like a little rat in a wheel?" Ms Parker asked.

"They use it to develop new drugs and make significant leaps for the good of humankind." Nikita said as if she had rehearsed it; as if she had wondered it, as if she was half asking.

"And did they tell you this before or after they locked you up and threw away the key?" Ms Parker raised her eyebrow in a doubting manner.

Nikita was silent.

"And did they tell you how you got to the Centre? Let me guess the stork brought you? " She snorted.

"My parents were killed in a car crash when I was 4 " tears came to her eyes.

"I was an only child, no other family. The Centre took me in. If it weren't for them . . . "

"So what, you think you owe them? Let me tell you something, you don't
owe anyone anything."

"Nikita." Sydney said " I talked to Jarod. He told me that he thought the Centre might be responsible for your parents death."

"What?" Nikita demanded. "Why do you believe him? Ten minutes ago you said that he was a psycho killer. How do I know whom to trust? This could be another simulation, to test my loyalty to the Centre." She looked around her for any surveillance equipment " I may not even be in Texas."

"Relax, Nikita. God, what kind of hell have they put you through? Look at me. Everything Raines told you about Jarod is a lie. He would never tell you something about your family just to torment you. He's looking for his family".

"So we can trust Jarod?" tears filled her eye, threatening to escape.

Everything she had known was a lie, her reality was slipping away from her.

"Yes, sweetie, we can." She took Nikita into her arms and held her. " I won't let Raines hurt you anymore, I promise."

Nikita was crying heavier now, but she seemed to be comforted by Ms Parker's reassurance.

"Come on, its getting late." Ms Parker said.

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep? " Nikita asked, her eyes pleading.

"Of course." She helped Nikita into bed and tucked her in.

She motioned to Broots and Sydney to leave.

She leaned down to the younger woman's side and brushed back her hair in a maternal manner.

"We can work out a new plan tomorrow, okay?". Ms Parker gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. She was asleep in minutes.

She quietly left the room and went over to Broots' and Sydney's room.

"Hey." they said answering the door.

"How's she doing?" Sydney asked.

"She's asleep " Ms Parker replied.

"What the hell are you doing Ms Parker? " Sydney asked in a neutral manner.

"I have no idea." She responded. ' It's what my mother would have done' she thought.

"But we better figure out a way to save our butts; maybe we give Jarod a get out of jail free card " she entertained the thought aloud.

"Are you suggesting that we help Jarod." Broots asked, lowering his voice as if someone might be listening, even he knew no one was there.

"I never thought I'd hear you trying to help Jarod." Sydney said.

"Yeah, well there need to be some changes at the Centre " Parker half glared, half smirked at the two before returning to her room.

******
Part 3 by Nikita_eve
Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 3
by Nikita_Eve




Austin, Texas
Jarod's hotel room:


KNOCK, KNOCK!

"Room service " Nikita yelled.

She mentally rehearsed what she needed to do. Simple, just get caught stealing his computer files, and be exposed as an undercover agent. Yeah, simple, she thought, taking a big breath.

"Come in." the deep, male voice yelled through the door.

She opened the door with the key she had "borrowed" from the front desk. She walked in and saw him standing there, his back to her.

"Just set it on the table over there." he turned around and pointed, not even looking up.

He was deeply engrossed in his work. She was stunned. He was 6' 3", dark brown hair, gorgeous brown eyes, a defined nose, kissable lips, a strong jaw line, and broad shoulders. Her eyes traveled down the rest of him, her thoughts traveling somewhere else as well, inwardly blushing.

He looked up from what he was doing and was immediately startled. Before him stood the most beautiful person he had ever seen. She looked like she was a mixture of very diverse ethnicity, 5" 9", light chocolate skin, long black hair with a couple of silver wisps, slightly slanted cobalt blue eyes, a small nose, full, luscious lips; high cheekbones, a petit frame. He looked at the rest of her, admiring her curves.

"Um ..." Jarod spoke first, trying to pull himself back into reality. "...just set it over there " he repeated, and managed to break from her gaze and nod toward the table across the room.

As he headed into one of the rooms to get her tip, she set the tray down and attached her palm pilot armed with her hacking program to his computer. He returned with her tip; their hands brushed and she felt a tingle.

"Thanx." She said, getting ready to either leave or steal his computer. She didn't know if she could go through with either.

"Would you like to join me? " Jarod asked making the decision for her.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly intrude." .

"Come on," He insisted, pulling out a chair.

"Just tell them I was a real jerk and kept you. " he gave her a coy smile.

"Well, okay " she took a seat next to him.

"I'm Jarod," he stuck out his hand.

"Nikita." she returned the hand shake. This time she felt a surge instead of a tingle.

"So, what's for breakfast? " she wathced in anticipation as he lifted the lid.

"Its called ice cream."

"Is that like cream cheese? " She asked.

"No."

"Oh, I had a sheltered childhood. Protestant- a ligthbulb and a car away from being Amish " Late night TV was provig to be very useful; she just hoped she hadn't blown it.

'Ice cream' wasn't on the list of breakfast foods she had learned.

"I understand." He laughed. He stuck his spoon in the ice cream and got a fair sized scoop and raised it to her.

When she hesitated a little, " Come on, its good " he prompted her.

She took a bite and swallowed. " Hehe" she laughed, spraying it all over herself. " It's so cold." She tasted some more. " But it is very good." she smiled. He grinned back, revealing adorable dimples.

"I have a confession to make," she said to Jarod, lifting her shirt up and revealing her wiretap. She took it off and set it on the table to make sure it got everything.

Jarod looked at her and tensed up and swept the area for cameras.

"I'm not really the room service lady."

"What? Who sent you?" he got nervous.

"I'm FBI, too." she flashed him her badge.

"I was supposed to come in and get some dirt on you if there was any to get, and obviously there isn't. They just wanted to be sure, with everything that has been going on. "

"The Al Bore case" he relaxed a little. "Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow at FBI headquarters in Quantico?" she nodded her head emphatically.

"Yes, of course, agent Wilkes."

She turned off the wire. " Can we go somewhere? We need to talk."

******

Blue Cove, Delaware
The Centre


Raines drew in a deep breath, accentuating his sunken eyes. He and Lyle had viewed the surveillance tape.

"Where did she learn that? " asked Raines, commenting on her extra curricular activity with Sydney.

"Probably my darling sister. "

Raines turned the video off.

" Wait, is that all? " Lyle asked.

" That is all that is pertinent. "

" Let me see that." he took the remote from Raines.

Raines looked as though his patience was wearing thin. He pressed play and turned the volume up. Nikita leaned forward to the camera, taking her shirt off.

"Oh, and Lyle? " she did a twirl for the camera. " Maybe after I bring Jarod back, we could hook up? Bye wheezy. No peeking" she started to unhook her bra, not revealing anything but cleavage.

"The girls a nympho " Lyle said smiling. 'Hmm, she's a little Asian' he thought to himself.

"No. " Rainnes answered as if he was reading Lyle's thoughts.

"I don't need her emotionally unstable right now. I've already cleaned up enough of your messes ". Raines skipped forward to Nikita's discussion with Jarod. After watching the conversation between the two pretenders, Raines looked over at Lyle.

"Lyle, go down to Texas to keep an eye on Ms Parker ".

"I'm going to bring Jarod in tomorrow. Then we can put Nikita back in her place. ".

"Okay, Wheezy. " He muttered as he was exiting the room.

Raines called the triumvirate. "He'll be back tomorrow. " He reassured them.
Part 4 by Nikita_eve
Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 4
by Nikita_Eve



******

Nikita could taste the tension, the anticipation in the air as they pulled into the abandoned lot. They exited the car in silence and entered the building. They sat at a table across from each other; each sensing the other's fear.

Nikita bit her lip and furrowed her brow. Her eyes widened, like a confused wounded animal. She leaned forward and touched his face. Running her hand down the side of it, stopping at his chest; where she felt his heartbeat. She felt his heart rate quicken at her touch. A little startled, she removed her hand. Returning it to his face for a moment more, tracing over it one more time. Then let it fall back to the table. She looked at the surface of the table, wishing she could just disappear. He stared at her as he took his hand and gently brushed it against her cheek. Tilting her head up to his eye level. He was close enough to feel her heartbeat. He brushed back an errant strand of hair and looked into her eyes; showing nothing but support and understanding. She held her concerned, almost pitiful face.

"What is it?" He asked, brushing away a tiny tear that had escaped the corner of her eye. " You can trust me, " he took her hand into his.

Her lip trembled as a few more tears escaped. Her eyes dropped back to the surface of the table. She removed her gun from the holster and emptied the clip as she sat it on the table.

"You're so real " she broke the silence.

"That's because I am real." Jarod offered an assuring grin.

"I don't want to lose you."

"I'm not going anywhere." Jarod squeezed her hand, holding it tighter.

She looked up at him doubtedly; but her eyes were showing some hope. " I don't know who to trust." Nikita's voice quavered.

"I trust you. " his deep eyes penetrated hers.

He removed his gun, took the clip out, and set it on the table next to hers. " If you wanted to hurt me, you would have by now " Jarod added.

He put his hand back in hers and waited patiently for a response. She raised her free hand and rubbed her tears away; looking into his eyes. She could see his soul, see that he was a good man. She felt shame and guilt now more than anxiety.

"They sent me to bring you back. " she mustered.

"Who?" he asked, already knowing the answer but wanting to be sure.

"The Centre." She whispered.

" You're project Scorpio?" All the pieces fell in place.

"Yes, and Ms Parker wants to help us, " she added. He recalled the email from the triumvirate to Raines, that made sense.

"Hey " He pulled her closer to him and stared into her eyes. " you had no way of knowing what they were doing ".

She pulled her hand free, retreating to her side of the table. " I've hurt innocent people. "

"And now that you are on the outside you can help innocent people. I want to show you something " Jarod reached into his briefcase and pulled out his computer.

He showed her a DSA, the one of him doing the Apollo 13 sim. " They did the same thing with me." He shut the briefcase.

"But I'm not on the outside. Since you escaped, they implemented several new features to the pretender project: a kill switch and a GPS tracking device in my skull. " she pointed to her head.

"We can get around that. We're geniuses, remember? I have something else to show you."

He printed out an article on his computer and then a picture. He handed her the article. Tears flooded her eyes as she instantly recognized the article- the tragic accidental death of her parents.

"Now look at this picture, " It was of a woman and a man.

"So?" She asked.

"This is your mom and dad, Nikita."

"Thank you." she paused, taking another look at the photo. " I didn't remember what they looked like. "

"Look at the date. "

Her eyes scanned down to the bottom- 1980. The blood drained from her face. " Are you saying they didn't die in a car crash? Are they still alive?" her eyes were wide with hope and begging for a yes. She had often fantasized about them being alive.

"I don't know. I traced back this picture, hoping to find some tie to the Centre, but I couldn't. Your parents faked their own death."

"To try to rescue me," she finished, the color returning to her face.

"Oh my god, Jarod, how can I ever repay you for this? " She took him into her arms hugged him tightly. " I was afraid you would hate me, once you knew I was connected to the Centre".

"I don't call being their prisoner having connections with them. And you won't be theirs any more. " He held her tighter.

She looked up to him, tears still flowing freely from her eyes. " What do we do now?" She asked.

"We play a little game of cat and mouse with the Centre." He said grinning.

"Cat and mouse?"

"We are the cat and they are the mouse." He explained.

"Oh " she revealed a small mischevous grin of understanding.

"Now lets get out of here. You have so much to learn, about . . . About being free! After we get that thing out of there, of course". he tapped her head.

He took her arm and led her out of the building.

******

The Centre:
Blue Cove, Delaware:



"You've located Jarod? " Raines asked Ms Parker, Broots, and Sydney.

"Yes. we'll have him back first thing tomorrow." Ms Parker assured.

"There has been a slight change of plans. " Raines grinned, leaning back in his chair." I will deliver Jarod to the Centre." He said, grinning.

"What? " Ms Parker screamed. " Listen, you pathetic little wrinkled, wheezing carcass." She leaned forward into his personal space. " We found him, we'll bring him back. 'Kay? " she said in a condescending voice, flipping her hair.

"Triumvirates order." Raines handed her the memo. " Sorry."

"Bet you are." Ms Parker snorted, trying to add as much insult to her comment as possible.

"Come in Lyle." Mr. Raines responded to the knock.

Ms Parker glared at Lyle as he entered.

"The jets ready." Lyle said to Raines. " Sis" he acknowledged her.

"I'm sorry Raines, I thought we were having an argument." Ms Parker sneered

"Argument's over!" He retorted.

" Come on, let's blow this freak show." Parker replaced her sneer with a smirk.

After they exited the room, Lyle commented. "That was too easy. Do you think she's up to something?"

"Just in case she is. I want you keeping an eye on her tomorrow."

" Got it." The thumbless man left.
Part 5 by Nikita_eve
Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 5
by Nikita_Eve




Quantico, Virginia:
Airport, designated rendezvous w/ Raines and Nikita:



"Come on." Ms Parker hurried Broots and Sydney as they entered the airport. " We're going to miss them".

" Oh, I don't think so." Broots pointed at Nikita. " No one could miss that."

Nikita wove through the airport. Decked out in her fed uniform, she hauled Jarod, cuffed and struggling, along with her.

"You're just making this harder on yourself." Nikita said.

Jarod responded by throwing himself on the floor, thrashing about. "No, you can't take me back there. " He kicked her in the stomach. Before he got two steps, she kicked him in the chest, bringing him to his knees.

"Don't try that again " she pinned him to the ground. With her knee in his back, she reached into her bag pulling out the ankle cuffs and another pair of handcuffs. She cuffed him to her. She slapped the cuffs on him and pulled him up to his knees.

"Get up" she ordered, struggling with the 50 pounds he had on her. He just curled up into a ball on the ground, refusing to cooperate.

"Then I'll drag you "

He just stared through her, indifferent, as if he were trying to conserve his energy. Nikita tucked her arms under his and dragged him toward the sweepers waiting about 100 feet away.

One of the sweepers helped her drag Jarod to the Centre jet. " No!" He screamed. Now actively dragging his feet and kicking at the sweepers and Nikita.

"They're leaving. Lets go " Ms Parker grabbed the men by the arm and headed toward Nikita.

"Umm, go, uh where?" Broots asked, jerking free from Parker.

"The plane, dummy. I want on that plane!"

"Oh, of course" Broots gave a weak grin before turning a little pale, and nodded his head.

Broots and Sydney followed Ms Parker to the Centre jet, where they sneaked in and hid in a storage compartment.

"Shh, we're taking off " Ms Parker whispered, crouching next to them. She looked through the ajar door: Jarod screamed as Nikita strapped him into his seat.

"Hello Jarod, I'm so glad you're coming home now." Raines said.

"You're a monster Raines." Jarod screamed, twisting in his restraints.

"You won't be thinking that for much longer." Nikita said as she pulled out a syringe. She leaned forward and sat on his lap. She raised the syringe to eye level. Squeezing a little out, she licked the syringe. " Nighty night". She lifted up his sleeve and jabbed him in the arm

"No, please, you don't have to, you don't... ".

"I'm afraid I do. " she laughed, joining Raines.

Raines nodded in the direction of the sweepers. They retreated to another area of the jet.

Raines faced her, " Well done. " .

"You taught me well." she laughed. " So what now?"

"Now, we take out the trash. Ms Parker and her followers have been polluting the Centre for too long" he smiled at Nikita.

"So, you found evidence supporting the fact that they were helping Jarod?

"Not exactly. You have a lot to learn. I only made it appear that Ms Parker was helping them. Where do you think all of those tip-offs he had came from? " He laughed.

"You helped Jarod stay on the outside?"

"Yes."

"But, . . . why?" She pressed.

"I was beginning to worry that the Centre was becoming a monarchy. Daddy's little girl was getting everything. Do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand completely " Nikita removed the tape recorder from her pocket and hit stop. " I have everything I need " she grabbed Raines by the collar, disarming him.

"Willie." He tried to say.

Jarod sprang out of his seat, taking of his restraints.

"Willie " She screamed. " Something's wrong with Raines! ".

Sweepers flooded the room, only to find Raines at gunpoint.

"Now, I've never actually done this before, but I think this is how it works. " She tilted her head to the side, reflecting, " I have the gun, and unless you want Raines' brains splattered all over your nice little jet here, hand over your weapons. "

"Sorry Nikita" Willie said, drawing his gun. "We don't negotiate. "

"Oh well." She pouted.

" No, wait!" Raines screamed. " Do what she says! "

Willie considered it for a minute and then handed over his weapon to Nikita, nodding to his team to do so as well.

" Good." Nikita handed a weapon to Jarod, leaving the extra guns w/ him. " Watch him for me". She smiled at the pretender before turning her attention back toward Raines. " Well Raines, your sweepers sure are prepared for everything, I hope you taught them to fly." Nikita led them over to the cargo bay, opening the door. " Let's go guys. Beg and I might let you all live."

They acceded. Raines was sure to hear them. She handed each of them a parachute. " If I hear of any of you breathing a word of this to anyone in the next 48 hours, or even thinking about the Centre, I will kill you; all of you".

They nodded and jumped out of the plane; afraid she might change her mind.

She waltzed back to Jarod and Raines. "They didn't beg... much." she let out a sadistic giggle.

Rainnes drew in a deep breath and gripped his seat. His knuckles turned white.

"You see Jarod, how much easier it is to do things my way?" she said, stroking his face.

"Yeah." He pondered. "Can we throw Rainnes over now?" he asked excitedly, looking up at her with his big brown, innocent eyes.

"Not now sweetie." She said in a maternal voice.

"Maybe later?" he asked, hopefully.

"Well, if you finish all of your veggies. "

"You two are crazy. " Rainnes said.

"Now that's not a very nice thing to say to someone with a gun" Nikita waved it in his face as a reminder. " I heard that you used to be a doctor" Nikita said fetching her bag, " I only hope that you have an MD and not a Ph.D.," she said with a laugh. She unzipped the bag, revealing medical supplies.

"What do you want?" Raines asked.

"I want you to take this damn thing out of my head. " She tapped her head and handed him the supplies.

"What's to keep me from just activating it?" Raines threatened.

"Because, if you could have, you would have already used it" she told him.

" And besides, if she dies, you die" Jarod raised his gun to Raines' head.

"First of all it's not on your head, it's in your arm, that was just to throw someone off." He sounded like it was his own brilliant idea.

"I don't care where it is." Nikita was irritated with him by now. " Just take the damn thing out, 'kay?" She imitated Ms Parker flipping her hair.

"Or? "Raines challenged.

"Or" She leaned in close to Raines, pursed her lips and looked down slightly, giving him an innocent look. " I'll just have to kill you." Another handy tip from Ms Parker.

" Okay " Raines agreed.

Nikita leaned back and tried to relax as Raines cut into her flesh.

When he finished suturing her up, she led Raines to the cargo bay.

"Scary, isn't it?" she pushed him closer to the door.

"Try terrifying" she yelled.

"Imagine, in an instant, you're whole world is gone; kind of like what you did to me". She opened the door; removed his oxygen tank. " You won't be needing this, not where you're going."

"What more could you possibly want from me?" Raines gasped.

"What more could you possibly take from me? Oh wait a minute" she said in an afterthought," I didn't bring a priest w/ me. I could become one for you, but I don't think that would be the same" she gave him a sardonic grin, edging him closer to the door. " See you in hell " She said to him in a calm, controlled voice, as if making peace with herself.

"Wait " Raines pleaded.

"What?" Nikita asked, cupping her ear. " I'm sorry, I can't hear you from all this wind in here" she pulled the door close. " Now, what?"

" I said, I'll give you anything you want! " he screamed.

" Hmmm . . . I dunno. ooh, ooh wait, I know." she sounded like an excited child. " Why don't you tell me who my parents were? I want names".

"I cant, the triumvirate would kill me."

"Not if I kill you first." She pressed him against the wall, putting the gun to his throat. There was a pause

"Jinn-Mai and Julian Walker"

"Last known address?"

"Anchorage, Alaska ".

"I want proof."

"In my front pocket, a DSA of a meeting with them". She reached into his pocket, pulling it out and stuffing it in a player. It confirmed his story.

"This is your stop." She pulled the door open.

"You crazy bitch, you lied."

"Well, you know what they say, monkey see, monkey do." She shoved him out of the plane, handing him his oxygen and parachute at the last minute.

She returned to the front of the plane and found Jarod at the controls, the pilot and co pilot bound and gagged in the corner.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Jarod asked.

"Yes. " She smiled, running her fingers through his hair.

"I think we have a stowaway." Jarod said putting the plane on autopilot. He headed toward the storage compartment and yanked open the door.

"Please, don't kill me!" Broots screamed, throwing himself at Jarod's feet.

"Get up Broots." Ms Parker rolled her eyes. " I was getting a cramp down here." She smiled at Jarod and Nikita. " Quite a performance." She added.

"Good to see you Jarod." Sydney hugged him.

"I've missed you. " Jarod replied.

"I hope ya'll brought a parachute." Nikita kidded.

"No . . . we c-c-can't . . ." Broots began.

"Relax Broots. It's just like flying." Ms Parker said as she flashed him a smile.

"B-b-but I don't know how to . . ." he trailed off.

Nikita and Jarod laughed. They walked toward the cargo bay.

" This is ya'lls stop." Jarod announced.

Ms Parker threw a screaming, terrified Broots over board. Sydney jumped after him.

Ms Parker turned to Jarod and looked at him. It was the first time she had ever seen him that she wasn't pointing a gun at him. She leaned forward and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Next time Jarod." Parker beamed before jumping out of the plane.

He smiled and shut the door, turning to Nikita. "So, where do you want to go? We have 48 hours until this thing is reported stolen."

"How about Alaska? " She asked giving him a hug and kiss on the cheek.

"Let's do it." He brushed her hair back and leaned in for a kiss on the lips; which she eagerly reciprocated.

The End!
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=3736