You Don't Know What You've Got by The Injury Princess
Summary: Miss Parker is closer than ever to catching Jarod what something unexpected happens
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney
Genres: Drama, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 6699 Read: 12415 Published: 06/08/05 Updated: 06/08/05

1. Till It's Gone by The Injury Princess

2. You Don't Know What You've Got by The Injury Princess

3. Till It's Yours by The Injury Princess

4. Epilogue by The Injury Princess

Till It's Gone by The Injury Princess
Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.15 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.



You Don’t Know What You’ve Got:
Till It’s Gone

by Injury Princess




Broots had his laptop set up on the table of Miss. Parker’s hotel room. Miss. Parker sat in an arm chair with her eyes focused out the window. A drag here and there of her cigarette was the only indication that Broots had that she wasn’t comatose. There was something about her lately, not in the way she’d been acting; she was the same as usual. But still Broots felt it was something inside that was bothering her. Either way he’d had enough of sitting here tracking Jarods’ non-existent trail.

“Miss. Parker it’s been almost a week since… I.. I.. I think Jarod is long gone.” Broots stated now standing in the middle of the room, as he finished her cell phone rang.

“What?” She asked in her usual ice queen fashion. “We’re on our way.” She walked out of the room without a word leaving the door open for Broots. She spotted Sidney standing over by the car reading a newspaper. “We got a lead.” She said proudly as she got in the car.

~~~~~~~~~~

It was only a ten minute drive from where they’d been staying. Miss. Parker explained that a women had been selling a hand full of daises, for about a week now, to a man every day around noon. After which he walked to the cliffs and passes her again a while later empty handed.

“I agree that it is important to catch Jarod but don’t you think he’s been through enough for the time being?” Sidney asked from the back seat. She looked up at him form her rear view mirror.

“You can council him when we all get back to the Centre, right now we have to catch him.” She drove on silently her mind was made up.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod walked up the side of the cliff, clutching a few yellow daisies, to the spot where she had died. He dare not visit her grave for fear of sweepers. The police were called in after Jarod fled from Centre sweepers, after she was gone. Besides her body may be there but her soul was here on the cliff. The same cliff her sister had died on. A snake bit, just one small snake, it didn’t take long for the poison to take over, she died in his arms. She wasn’t angry or upset at death closing in; in fact she was the one comforting Jarod. Standing over the spot he was upset but he felt at peace; she changed his world and he changed hers, and he was proud of that. He sat down and looked at the hills and valleys that made up the surrounding area, it was beautiful. He felt good, he felt ready to move on. But his thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a car stopping and three door slams. Jarod stood up just in time to catch Miss. Parker’s eye. He froze a moment in terror and then they both took off; Sidney and Broots trailed behind.

Jarod knew the area pretty well; he quickly decided to take the chase higher up the cliff so the run down would be harder for Miss. Parker, with her tall black shoes. Jarod reached the top and looked over the edge, he knew how steep it was and tried to stay away form it. Miss. Parker reached the top as he started decent down the other side. She stumbled at the top of the cliff her hand shot down to the ground and quickly up to her waist.

“Jarod freeze!” She shouted with her gun drawn. He stopped and looked over his shoulder, about to make a break for it when he saw the look on her face. Fear in her eyes, her mouth open slightly and the heel of her tall black shoe slipping off the edge.

“Parker!” Jarod shouted and scrambled back up but he was to late. It happened too quickly, he blinked and she was gone when he reached the edge she was nowhere in sight. Sidney and Broots, having seen everything, made it to the top a few seconds after Jarod.

Jarod jumped to his feet and was about to climb down the cliff when Sidney grabbed his shoulder. “Jarod it’s almost a straight drop into the water.” He paused. “She didn’t make it.” The screeching of tires alerted them to the arrival of the sweepers. “Go Jarod. While there’s still time.” Sidney ordered. Jarod lingered for a moment still in shock then reluctantly turned and ran away.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Sidney.” Broots said because he didn’t know what to say.

Two sweepers made it to the top first. “Where’s Jarod?” The first questioned.

“H-H-He got away.” Broots stuttered still dazed.

“And where’s Miss. Parker?” The other asked. Sidney looked down at the edge of the cliff.

“She’s gone.” Sidney uttered softly.

~~~~~~~~~~

Five hours later Jarod was driving blind. He turned the radio up and just concentrated on the road. It was getting dark; he was going to need directions, but to where. He didn’t really care. It was his fault. He was the reason she was there. What made him take the chase up there? Why didn’t he just leave after Zoey died? Questions kept circling through his brain stealing his concentration. He was so caught up he almost didn’t see the minivan that had the right of way. His tires screeched as he swerved to miss the vehicle. As the van drove out of sight Jarod took a deep breath and pulled to the side of the road. He cut the engine and rested head on hands on top of the wheel. He knew what he needed to do. He reached down into his bag pulled out his cell phone and hit a preset number.

“Sidney.” He heard and tears welt up in his eyes.

End of prologue

You Don't Know What You've Got by The Injury Princess
Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.70 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.



You Don’t Know What You’ve Got:
Till It’s Over

by Injury Princess




Jarod sat motionless on the edge of the bed. He looked around and noticed, for the first time, that it was morning. He couldn’t remember what time it was when he had arrived at the hotel. He remembered pulling into the parking lot: already knowing that some run down furniture, a warn out carpet, and an old lumpy bed awaited him. He could even remember asking for a room and hearing the old man ask him for a name, but he couldn’t remember what name he had given. The last four days were almost a complete blur. Suddenly the room began to spin, “Ugggh” he moaned, fighting a wave of nausea as he ran to the bathroom. After whatever contents that had found their way into his stomach over the past four days found their way out, Jarod fumbled around until he found the bathtub faucet. After making the shower water as hot as he could with out melting off his skin he began the seemingly difficult task of removing his cloths. A task which proved less difficult once he thought to take off his pants after removing his shoes. He sat on the shower floor, his arms hugging his knees tightly, letting the water pour down on him. The world began to melt together again, his body numbed, and he went farther down inside himself than he had ever gone in a sim. Life no longer had meaning; he no longer felt the need to help others when he couldn’t even help himself: when he couldn’t help her.

~THE CENTRE~

Mr. Parker hadn’t been seen in three days. Mr. Lyle made an appearance or two but was often nowhere to be found. Sidney and Broots had been given no further instruction on the Jarod project nor any word on the search for Miss. Parkers’ body. The Centre, for what seemed the first time in its history, felt silent and empty.

Sidney went back to his other projects, Broots kept himself busy by assisting Sidney and leaving work as early as possible to be home with Debbie.

Sidney sat at his desk hoping Jarod would call. It had been four days since he heard form him and he was very worried. When he spoke with Jarod that day he knew that he was destroyed. Sidney knew the moment his cell phone rang that it would be Jarod. He was in the car about five minutes away from his house but he pulled off to the side to talk to Jarod.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sidney.” He said trying to make it seem as though he wasn’t expecting Jarod’s call. He waited quietly, from the other end he heard the sound of heavy breathing; sobbing. “Jarod. Where are?”

“On the side of the road.” He was able to choke out. “Sidney, why?” Was all he could think to say.

“I don’t know Jarod, I don’t know. People die, it’s a fact of life that we all must face.” Sidney waited to see if Jarod would respond.

“But why? What could be the reason?” He demanded.

“Some times things happen and we can’t see the reason.” Sidney really didn’t know what to say to comfort Jarod.“

”But. Why? Why couldn’t I save her?” Sidney could hear that Jarod as at his breaking point.

“Jarod you just need to relax, find a hotel and get some rest.”

Jarod cut in suddenly “It was my fault!” He shouted angrily. Sidney didn’t know what to say so he said nothing and listened to Jarods’ sobbing on the other end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sidney waited. He didn’t try to find Jarod, he didn’t dare, nor did he think he would get very far if Jarod didn’t want to be found. So he waited for Jarod to call.

~JAROD’S HOTEL ROOM~

“Jarod!” A woman’s voice called. “Turn off that water now, you’re going to give yourself third degree burns!” She demanded.

Jarods eyes darted back and forth through the steam. I don’t believe it! “Parker!” he cried as he turned off the water and flung open the shower curtain. There she was, standing calmly right in front of him. “But you’re…” He started

“Dead?” She asked raising her eyebrows. “No , I’m not.” She responded sweetly.

“But I saw you, you fell.” Jarod protested kneeling against the side of the tub. “No! Now get up. Give me your hand!” She said sternly holding out her hand. Jarod didn’t know what to think, it was possible that she wasn’t dead; with the Centre, anything is possible. But why was she here, why like this? One would think she came to return him to the Centre and she was now trying to keep him off guard. But he saw something in her eyes; her eyes made him trust her. Jarod started to lift himself up and reached out his hand for hers. He blinked, she was gone, and he was taking a header into the floor.

“Ouch, that time I should have known.” He said to himself rubbing the side of his face. This was the third Miss. Parker he’d seen in four days. Three identical women visited him in four days, none of which was the real thing. He knew it was part of the stress, he knew that in time it would stop, that he wouldn’t be chasing ghosts all his life. But part of him didn’t want it to stop, didn’t want her to go away, even if it wasn’t the real Parker. Besides that’s what he had been doing the whole time he was free, wasn’t it? Chasing a ghost of a past that he could barley remember, one that could never be given back. Jarod grabbed a towel and pulled himself to his feet. Drying himself off he thought back on his life of freedom.

Since I’ve got out all I’ve done is help others, but is it helping me? People are always in some kind of danger, people can’t keep control forever; there must be chaos. Sidney taught me that. Why am I so compelled to find the life that I lose so long ago?

“I grew up, I made it out. I am a man now. Lots of grown men don’t have their parents any more. Kids lose their parents to car wrecks, or freak accidents and grow up never knowing the people who gave them life.” Jarod searched through his bag for something to wear finally pulling out a pair of black pants and a black shirt. He thought it was appropriate for the way he was feeling. “ At least I knew my parents, I know who they are, and I know if I stay away they’ll be safe.”

Jarod sat back down on the edge of the still made up bed. Slumped over, he rested his elbows on his knees and looked at his cell phone.

~THE CENTRE~

“This is Sidney.” He had barely let the phone ring he just hoped that Jarod was on the other end. The only response was silence. “Jarod, is that you? Please answer me. Are you alright?” But the line went dead.

“Who was that?” The old man wheezed.

“No one.” Sidney replied truthfully. Raines glared at him and took in another loud breath.

“Remember that finding Jarod is still most important.” Something inside of Sidney snapped but he held on and continued the civil like talk.

“Oh forgive me for mourning the loss of a co-worker, Rains.” Rains walked closer wheeling his oxygen tank along with him.

“Look, we still need Jarod back. That is still your job; with or without Miss. Parker your job is still to bring Jarod back to the Centre.”

Sidney had had enough out of the wheezing demon for the day. “I’m just not sure weather it’s possible any more. We’ve always been able to catch up with him because Jarod has always wanted to be caught up to, always leaving clues, always keeping in contact with either Miss. Parker or myself. But Miss. Parkers… He may fell he no longer has reason to keep in contact for one reason or another. He was already distraught over Zoey’s death now who know how far over the edge he may have been pushed.” Rains just continued to glair Sidney before wheezing loudly once more and squeakily walking away.

~JAROD’S HOTEL ROOM~

A knock at the door brought Jarod out of his stupor. “Mr. Barnes, I thought you might like some fresh sheets and towels.” The old man called from the other side of the door. Still dazed Jarod got up and absent-mindedly answered the door. “Well young man, Jason it is? Took ya a while, been knocking for some time.”

“I’m sorry, I was sleeping.” Jarod lied half-heartedly. The old man looked over at the bed in shock. “Where!? The bathtub? That bed’s barely been sat on.”

“I’ll take the towels.” Jarod said grabbing them from the man who continued to look at him puzzled. The old man walked for the door but then turned back. “I know it’s none a my business but ya seem kinda down young man. Well when I’m feelin’ low I go sit down by the creek, help me calm down.” When Jarod didn’t respond the man reluctantly turned and left. Jarod stood at the window for a while counting the cars that randomly passed. Jarod sighed after the third blue car passed. This wasn’t helping him. Jarod shoved his hand into his bag and blindly searched around until he found his sunglasses.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod sat back against the tree that grew next to the small creek. It was a beautiful spot but Jarod didn’t feel up to enjoying it. So he just sat there looking into the water. The flowing water was very tranquil and calming but he didn’t to feel calm. If anything he felt sorry, sorry for himself, sorry for her. Contrary to popular belief he had never liked seeing her suffering or hurt. He always thought she should be free: free from the Centre, from a place that destroys the lives of innocent children, free from the memory of her mothers death, and most importantly free from the man who she called daddy.

See I didn’t wish her pain, she just never left me much choice, she wasn’t an innocent child any more, she was my huntress, willing to do Daddy’s bidding, believing his every promise and lie. Jarod looked down into the water, his eyes focused on a rock at the bottom. They didn’t move, they didn’t do anything; they just sat there as the water moved over them. Slowly a reflection began to appear in the water.

“Can’t I even mourn you in peace?” He asked not turning around.

“No.” she simply replied.

“Well what do you want?” He asked impatiently.

“What do you think I want?” Miss. Parker asked.

“To torment me like I tormented you.” He answered.

“No.” she said again. “It’s wasn’t your fault you know.” She continued.

“Because whether you believe me or not I didn’t always find it my job to torment you.”

“I know.” She replied.

“No, you don’t. You’re just a part of my subconscious that wants me to feel better.” He was getting fed up. “Well guess what, it’s not working so why don’t you just go away.” Jarod growled. He saw the image fade in the water “No wait!” He cried remorsefully. But when he turned around she was completely gone.

Jarod locked his jaw and threw his head back against the tree, his eyes fixed up at the sky but not looking at anything at all. Anger was beginning to take over and he let it.

~THE CENTRE~

Sidney had been secretly working with Angelo all morning in hope to get the empath to give him some incite to how Jarod must be feeling. Unfortunately the only thing he had been able to accomplish was making Angelo upset over Miss. Parker’s death.

“It’s ok Angelo.” Sidney assured as two Centre employees came in to bring him back to his room. As Angelo was being escorted out Broots peeked in around the door, Sidney was standing with his back to him. “Come on Jarod, call.” Sidney commanded aloud.

“Uh, Sidney.” Broots said meekly as he entered the room.

“Oh Broots, any sign of Jarod?” He asked hopefully.

“Uh, no sorry Sidney. It just seems like he fell off the map.” Sidney’s face fell as he considered the worst but he quickly recovered. “He has done that before. I’ll call you the moment I get anything.” Broots added helpfully.

Sidney smiled sympathetically. “I know you will Broots.”

Broots started to leave but stopped. “I’ll met you in the parking lot at four.” Broots said. Sidney could see his features sadden. Sidney nodded and Broots walked out of the room.

Sidney’s cell phone rang. “Jarod?” Sidney asked picking up the phone.

“Yes,” he answered, “but I don’t really have anything to say.” Jarod said not really even knowing why he had called.

“I wont tell you anything that you already know.” Sidney said slowly, Jarod knew Sydney was getting at something but he didn’t know what.

“So they found her.” Jarod said not know weather it was a question or a statement.

“No. No Mr. Parker thinks there should be closure.”

“Yet another empty Centre grave.” Jarod said bitterly.

“Are you telling me you don’t know that Miss. Parker’s funeral is today at five in the cemetery on the west end of Blue Cove.” Sidney asked; Jarod just sat on the other end silently before hanging up the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod walked down the hill from his car and stood on the outskirts of the crowd. It was a rather large crowd for a women who seemed to hate everyone in her path. Jarod swallowed hard and let the tears run down his cheek as he made his way through to the front. He placed the flowers on the casket and broke down crying in front of many shocked Centre employees. When the shock had worn off three, maybe more, sweepers grabbed Jarod and dragged his limp unresponsive body to a Centre van. At least that’s how Jarod imagined it looking through his binoculars from a safe distance. At least he could say he went he thought to himself. But this wasn’t mourning, not in any normal sense of the word, no this wasn’t the place. He started the car and pulled back on to the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sidney heard the car start but he didn’t turn around, he didn’t need to. He was happy that Jarod had been able to attend Miss. Parker’s funeral at least now he might be able to begin to move on. Sidney reached over and placed his rose on the empty casket, he prayed for the women who he loved like a daughter and he prayed for the man he loved like a son.

~THE CLIFFS~

Jarod walked towards the cliffs, glad at least to be on the ground. He had never been airsick before he thought remembering the look on the face of woman seated next to him when he reached for the airsick bag. He walked around letting his feet decide the path. He stopped instinctively at the cliff, only a little ways up past the spot where Zoey died. He looked around full of anger and hatred.

“I can’t do this any more!” He shouted bitterly to the sky. He had had enough of this feeling. He was ready to just give up and that’s when she appeared. Each time she came she looked different than the last. The first time, in the last suit he saw her in and a red shirt, then a skirt instead of pants, always changing but he couldn’t figure out why. This time a gray shirt and black pants came into view. The tears formed in his eyes at the sight of her. She said nothing, only looked at him. The strain was too much and he fell to his knees crying.

She quickly appeared at his side, he caught a glimpse out of the corner of his eye, he could hear he words, soft and soothing. He let the tears drop as her voice seemed to be farther and farther away. He kept his eyes closed as she comforted him through his tears knowing that when he opened them he would be alone.

Somewhere a child was laughing, two young lovers were kissing, a couple was dancing, and an old woman was smiling, all blissfully unaware of how cruel life could truly be.




Till It's Yours by The Injury Princess
Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.70 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.




You Don’t Know What You’ve Got
Till It’s Yours
by Injury Princess




“Sidney I can’t take it, I just can’t take it any more.” Jarod explained into the phone.

Night had fallen but he had barely moved from his spot on the cliff. “I’m angry and upset all the time. I don’t care any more. I’ve seen people die before. But she didn’t deserve that. She… she never got anything she deserved. She used to be an innocent child, that child deserved to grow up in a normal loving home to become a successful happy women, not the bitter huntress she became.” The bitterness in Jarod’s voice was all too apparent.

“Jarod,” Sidney said calmly, “Miss. Parker made her own choices and no one, not even you, could change her. You were two very different individuals you know.” Jarod sighed.

“As different as we were we were still the same, never having the chance to make the choices that other kids did. Sidney when she fell I realized that she would never have the normal life that was meant for her and nether would I.” The anger built up inside Jarod. “I Just can’t stand it any more.” He shouted.

“Now Jarod please calm down.” Sidney recommended in his doctorly fashion.

“Why, Sidney, what’s the point?” Jarod asked bitterly.

“Jarod just don’t do anything rash that you’ll regret later.” Sidney warned.

“Rash? Like what Sidney? Like throw myself off a cliff?” The cold tone in his voice stunned and alarmed Sidney. He could sense that he meant every word.

“Jarod think about what you’re saying I beg you.” Sidney hoped he could reason with Jarod but feared that he couldn’t. “Sorry Sidney there’s something I have to do and someone I have to see.” Jarod said coldly, his mind made up.

“Jarod wait!” Sidney cried.

“Good bye Sidney.” The next thing Sidney heard was the line going dead but he couldn’t bring himself to hang up the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Parker entered moments later whiles Sidney sat blankly staring off with the phone still pressed to his ear. He finally put down the phone when he noticed Mr. Parker had entered. At the sight of Mr. Parker sadness turned to rage.

“So, Sidney, how’s the search going?” He asked walking towards him.

Sidney lost it then, he sprung to his feet grabbed Mr. Parker by the throat and pushed him up against the wall.

“This is all your fault you son of a bitch! First your own daughter and now Jarod. He wouldn’t have killed himself if he didn’t feel it was all his fault but it’s really yours! You sit in your office and hide behind your family. You hid behind her just like you hid behind her mother and now they’re both dead.”

Mr. Parker, with a surprising burst of strength, grabbed Sidney and pulled his hands off of him.

“Now you listen to me Sidney, without Jarod your job here can be easily replaced and you can be just as easily erased, I’m saying this for your own good. Watch your step!”

Sidney backed off but never broke his gaze. Mr. Parker walked confidently out of the room but inside he was worried, how would he explain this one. He tried imagined what he would saw when he was questioned about Jarod.

Yes Jarod is dead. Yes, he killed himself. Why? Apparently over the death of my daughter. Yes I put her on the assignment. No I didn’t think that anything was going on!

Mr. Parker boarded the empty elevator in shock. Was there anything going on?! She couldn’t have been seeing him all that time. Mr. Parker thought thinking back on how long her search for him had lasted and how many times he had ‘kidnapped’ her, and how many time they had been alone together and she never brought him in. Mr. Parker felt he was about to be sick. She wouldn’t do that to me. He decided. That would be just like that rebellious little bitch to spite me like that. My own bitchy little Juliet seeing her lab experiment Romeo right under my nose! She was just like her mother; to daring for her own good! Mr. Parker stepped out of the elevator determined to go to his office and have a drink or two before making any phone calls.

***

~THE CLIFFS~

It had been and hour since he had called Sidney but Jarod still sat motionless with his cell phone in his lap. With a sudden burst of anger Jarod flung his cell phone over the cliff. Somewhere inside he was glad that he had locked the DSA player in a bank safe deposit box. He may regret throwing his past over a cliff if he didn’t throw himself over first. This rational side also decided that the temptation to do so was too great sitting only feet away from the edge. Jarod got up; his legs were uncooperative at first having been in one position for so long. But he knew he needed to be anywhere but here.

Jarod wondered his way through the dimly lit bar. Cigarette smoke hung thickly in the air. Jarod sat on an empty seat at the bar and waited for a bartender to come over. Seeing him walk in, the young female bartender walked over to Jarod. “You look like you’ve had one hell of a day. What can I get ya?” She asked somewhat seductively and somewhat sympathetically. “What ever will make me forget fastest.” At the moment Jarod didn’t care if she brought him Club Soda or arsenic, he just wanted to be drunk, wanted not to care.

Jarod drunk himself into a daze, he was barely even conscience of tell his entire life story to the equally drunken man next to him.

The bartender walked back over. “Look I’ve been listenin’ to your story, and yes most of it is crazy, but I think that’s ‘cause of the massive amount of alcohol that you’ve consumed tonight. But I caught the part about Miss. Parker,” she said sympathetically, “and I have to say that you can never let go of love. You sound like you really miss her so if she left you than you should go after her and beg for another chance. And if you left her I think you should giver her another chance, any woman who dose to a man what she’s doing to you now, deserves another chance, no matter what.” The bartender smiled as she handed Jarod his bill.

He handed over some of the money in his pocket and got down off the barstool. His legs adjusted to walking as he stumbled his way through the fog of smoke. Jarod left the bar thinking that she was right; they both deserved another chance, and there was only one way to get it.

***

~THE CENTRE~

It had been three days since Jarods call. By all accounts he was dead. Someone had somehow got hold of a copy of the conversation and with it convinced all of the board members that Jarod was without a doubt dead. Sidney had been marched into a meeting to confirm this theory, which he did. He had been promptly been handed a new case study on personality disorders and was immediately sent to meet his first volunteers. Sidney did his job, that’s what he was there to do. But the science, along with the lies, no longer held his interest.

***

~THE CLIFFS~

Jarod stood atop the cliff as he did countless times within the last few days, each time barely pulling himself back from the brink of suicide. This time he’d made up his mind. It’s funny, he thought, how drinking makes everything so much clearer. He loved her and now she was dead, it was his fault so he himself must die. “It’s that simple.”

Jarod stood on the edge preparing to jump. Just one step. He thought. And gravity would do the rest. Just one foot over the edge, a slight shift of weight and… Maybe I’ll see her again, was the thought he couldn’t bring himself to think, maybe she’ll forgive me.

The alcohol made his judgment a little blurry but he still couldn’t’ do it. “I have to face it I’m nothing now. I haven’t pretended to do anything in weeks, I did shake the Centre, but that’s only because all I do is eat, sleep, and come here. Hell I can’t even remember the last time I ate!” He took a deep breath. It was time!

“Lose something?” A familiar voice from behind him asked. He turned to face the women dressed in a long yellow flowered sundress and flat white shoes.

“You again!” He replied in a drunken anger to Miss. Parker. “Look I don’t need this now! You may look like her and sound like her but when it comes down to it every time I try to touch you, you blow away in a cloud of imaginative smoke.” He slurred. “I maybe very drunk but I know that you couldn’t track me when you were alive so you can’t be real.”

She nodded towards his feet. “GPS chip in your shoe. You aren’t the only one who can sneak into a room late at night.”

“No! You’re not real! So, go away and let me do what I have to do. I need to see her and you just don’t cut it any more.” The image moved closer to him.

“Oh really?” She said as she took his hand. He turned instantly and looked into her eyes. “My mother isn’t the only Parker who can fake her own death.”

“Parker?” he asked unsurely. She nodded yes in response. “But how? I mean I saw you fall, I saw you die.”

“You saw what I needed you to see.” She answered quietly.

“But how did you do it?” She smiled and walked cautiously to the edge. From under the ledge she pulled up the tethered end of a bung cord. “I got the idea from an Aerosmith video.” She smiled again.

“I guess that explains this.” He said lightly touching the faded scar on her check.

“That, four stitches, and a bruised rib, but that was better than I’d hoped. I came up with the whole plan within a week. I knew the cliffs blind folded and I set the alarm on my cell phone to sound like I got a phone call. Everything went exactly to plan when I reached this point I had only seconds to pick up the clip, attach it to my belt, and draw my gun.”

He looked at her in a dazed amazement she smiled sympathetically again. “I’m sorry I tricked you but I needed everyone to think I was dead. I couldn’t take any chances if I wanted to join you.”

His face was full of surprise, she continued. “Let’s face it we belong together we had our lives torn apart by a place we were afraid to leave behind.”

Jarod couldn’t believe his eyes or ears. Here stood the women of his dreams, literally, picture prefect in a beautiful yellow sundress telling him she wanted nothing more than to be with him, he must be more drunk than he originally thought.

“How do I know it’s really you or that this isn’t some trick?” He asked whishing he could believe her.

“It may be the oldest cliché in movie history but I can think of only one way to prove it to you.”

Miss. Parker moved closer and placed her hands on the sides of Jarod’s face. Slowly she brought her lips to his and they kissed. Thought it lasted only a few seconds it felt like a small taste of heaven, simple, sweet, and eternal.

~THE END~




Epilogue by The Injury Princess
Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.70 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.




You Don’t Know What You’ve Got
Till Then
(Epilogue)
by Injury Princess




Sidney stood looking out an open window. It would be one year Friday since that faithful day. The day the Centre went to hell. It was just lucky that Sidney hadn’t been there at the time it all went down. He could only assume that it was luck that made his car break down on the way to work that morning making him late enough to miss the swarm of law enforcement that descended upon the Centre. He could say that it was luck that, in all the panic, several rooms, including his office and workstations, had been set on fire to hid work on the pretender projects. It was also lucky that Broots to win a trip for two to Disney World. It could have been luck that Broots, Debbie, and himself had been nowhere near the Centre on the day that hell went back where it belonged.

Or it could have been Jarod. There was always a small part inside of Sidney that believed Jarod was some how responsible for bringing down the Centre. That he somehow rigged everything to go off as it did before he died. There was also that small part of Sidney that thought that Jarod may still be alive. But that part usually gave way to the fact that Jarod would have left something, would have done something, would have let him know.

No Jarod was dead and resting in peace. But sometimes he half expected Jarod to walk through his front door as if nothing had happened. But something had happened and everything was different now.

Sidney now lived in Rhode Island and owned a small bookstore called the Reading Center. He thought it was only fitting. Broots took a job teaching a computer course at a local high school. He and Debbie lived only ten minutes away from Sidney and they visited often. Sidney loved his quaint, quiet, little bookstore; the shelves were filled with books and the walls were covered with pictures of the local people who visited him.

It was a beautiful first day of August, Sidney leaned out the open window and considered grabbing a book, closing up early, and reading out under the tree in his backyard. Remember he still had some paperwork left he pulled away from the view and sat at his desk. Sidney had only two pictures on his little desk. One of Jarod and one of Miss. Parker. People had asked about the pictures and he often regarded them as his children but he never went further than that.

Sidney started to fill out a book order form when the bell attached to the door chimed. In walked Albert the mailman.

“Well Sidney, how are you doing today?” The mailman asked happily.

“Just fine Albert.” Sidney smiled. “I’ve got your mail right here as well. I thought you might like it now.” He handed over a few envelopes addressed to the bookshop and one addressed to Sidney personally.

Sidney’s eyebrows lifted as he noted the hand writing on the envelope, he could have sworn it was Jarods. Albert was already out the door as Sidney flipped over the letter. Inside one plane ticket to San Francisco, California departing Friday morning was paper clipped to the front of a card. Sidney opened it curiously, as he did something inside fluttered to the floor.

You are cordially invited to the wedding of Mr. And Mrs. Jarod Love. It read; Sidney smiled proudly. He bent down to pick up the paper. Again his face lit up when he beheld the image of Miss. Parker and Jarod, both alive, together, and in love. Written at the bottom of the picture was a small note in Miss. Parker’s hand writing:

Please come Sid, we miss you!
-Love P&J

“Till then.” Sidney smiled to himself. He put the invitation and picture in his pocket and began to close up shop. He was headed to see Broots, he and Debbie would be meeting up at the dinner soon, but first Sidney decided to stop and pick up their mail.

~THE END OF EPILOGUE~
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=3504