An Imaginative View Of The World by Chris
Summary: What happens if you find yourself in your favourite TV series? Why are you there? And what the hell is going on???

A Star Trek / Pretender / Buffy / Profiler / Harry Potter / Stargate / Reality Crossover
Categories: Crossovers Characters: Telling Would Spoil
Genres: Action/Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: No Word count: 93307 Read: 238061 Published: 26/04/05 Updated: 04/08/05

1. Chapters 1 to 5 by Chris

2. Chapters 6 -10 by Chris

3. Chapters 11 - 15 by Chris

4. Chapters 16 - 20 by Chris

5. Chapters 21 - 25 by Chris

6. Chapters 26 -30 by Chris

7. Chapters 31 - 35 by Chris

8. Chapters 36 to 40 by Chris

9. Chapter 41 by Chris

10. Chapter 42 by Chris

11. Chapter 43 by Chris

12. Chapter 44 by Chris

13. Chapter 45 by Chris

14. Chapter 46 by Chris

15. Chapter 47 by Chris

16. Chapter 48 by Chris

17. Chapter 49 by Chris

18. Chapter 50 by Chris

19. Chapter 51 by Chris

20. Chapter 52 by Chris

21. Chapter 53 by Chris

22. Chapter 54 by Chris

23. Chapter 55 by Chris

Chapters 1 to 5 by Chris
Disclaimer: I don't own Star Trek, Pretender, Buffy, Profiler, Harry Potter or Stargate or any other TV series or book or anything I mention. They belong to their creators. Reality belongs to everyone. I belong to myself, so does Kyla and the idea for this story - and of course this story. This is a piece of non-profit fan fiction and I don't get any money out of it so please don't sue.

Title: An Imaginative View Of The World - when worlds collide -
By: CHris
Rated: PG
Category: Star Trek / Pretender / Buffy / Profiler / Harry Potter / Stargate / Reality Crossover

Thanks to:
Nadja, Mela, Micha, Gena Barton, KRYSTAL McDERMOTT, MYRA TRUE, KATHERINE BRUCE (KB), KYLIE LEADBITTER, MALLORY and MANDY from the pretendfic mailing list, The whole PRETENDFIC MAILING LIST, the people from stboard.de, JAMIE, MARTIN "KENNY" RAAB (I love you!!), MY MOM and DAD and EVERYONE I FORGOT TO MENTION and whose ideas I stole for this story (i.e. Tinkerbell and some other more or less small things...). No copyright infringements intended so please don't sue...
I feel like I've forgotten a few people. Have I?
Last but not least:
ALL THE ACTORS AND ACTRESSES who gave life to our beloved characters from all the series we love so much. You did such a great job!! And this book wouldn't have been written without you so I should dedicate it to the actors, shouldn't I?





She walked through the house with her head stuck in a book. The world around her didn't exist. It was just she and the book. Only when she felt something at her feet she looked up. A shoe was lying on the floor, but she didn't see the shoe for her it looked like an alien artefact. An alien artefact that needed to be explored. In her thoughts she was still caught up in the story she read. The phone rang and she was dragged back into the reality she had wanted to escape from.
"What?"
"Kyla?"
"Yup. Hi Michael."
"Hi. What’ ya doing?"
"Reading, I have to finish the book by tomorrow, I have to give it back."
"Any plans for tonight?"
"Reading. Returning to DS9, meet with Dax and the others."
"You’re crazy, they don't exist, they’re only fiction."
"Maybe for you, for me they are real just as you and me."
"Well then, enjoy your evening. I'll find someone else to spend my evening with. Bye."
Michael hung up before Kyla could reply. She sighed. Why couldn’t he believe that Star Trek was as real for her as everyday life? In her mind she had been travelling to the station a hundred times.
Her parents wanted her to see a psychiatrist, to help her find back to reality. How ridiculous! And now Michael was starting to get angry with her just because she couldn’t stop talking about it. He liked Star Trek as well but he wasn't such a maniac as she was. Fine. She would go to the psychiatrist and tell him that she was fine and then go back home, back to her book. A look at her watch confirmed that it was already past noon and that she had to start walking if she wanted to be on time. She didn't want to be on time, but she had to. She stored the book in a bag and went outside. Her cell phone rang again.
"What?"
"Just wanted to remind you of--"
"I’m already on my way, mom."
"Sorry, honey, have a nice day."
"Nice? You must be kidding. Bye."
She hated her mother for doing this. For sending her to a head shrinker. A cruel, heartless person. She knew that her mother did it for her own good but she didn't want to accept, that it was a mental condition that needed to be taken care of. She wasn’t crazy. At least not in the sense her mother thought.

She looked up at the house where she had her appointment. It was still half an hour before she had to see the Doctor, so she sat down on a bench in front of the house and continued to read her book. When she looked at her watch again she had only two minutes left is she didn't want to be late. She ran up the stairs and nearly ran over a young girl.
She turned away and wanted to go to the reception but stopped in mid-walk. Slowly she turned around to look at the girl again. She had seemed so familiar. She had looked almost like Naomi Wildman from Voyager. But the girl was gone. Kyla rubbed her eyes and turned.
"The Doctor’s already waiting for you, young lady, you’re late."
"Sorry," she said and went into the room the woman had indicated.
"So, you have a problem," the elderly man said when she had closed the door behind her.
"Do I? I didn't know I had one. My mother seems to have a problem with me."
"Please sit down over there."
He indicated her to sit down on the couch. What a cliché. A psychiatrist needs his couch or else he can’t play counsellor. Wonderful, where the hell did her mother send her?? She looked at the Doctor with unhidden interest.
"What was your name again?"
"Kyla, and yours?"
"Dr. Greene. Kyla, your mother told me that you could no longer discern reality from fiction, is that right?"
"Dr. Greene? Dr. Sydney Greene? I’ve heard that name before."
"Don't try to change topic. Is it true what I just said?"
"No, it’s not. So, is your name Sydney Greene or not?"
"Yes, it is. Do you have a problem with that?"
Kyla shook her head and closed her eyes for a second. She sighed and opened her eyes again.
"Kyla, please tell me about that other reality."
"You really wanna know? Cool. Well, there are two realities to be exact. One is here, on Earth, in this time. The other one is somewhere in space, in the 24th century."
"Tell me about that one in the future."
Kyla closed her eyes and let the images flow that came into her mind. She described every one of them: The space station Deep Space Nine, Quark’s bar, office, Odo’s office, Dr. Bashir’s sickbay, Benjamin Sisko, Jadzia Dax, the Promenade, Jake, the Defiant. She was in her element, talking about Star Trek and her fantasies what she would do if she were there.
"What if I told you that all this was real?" a voice said.
She had heard that voice before, but it wasn’t Dr. Greene who was talking to her. It sounded almost like --- No, that couldn’t be.
Of course it was his voice. That was Bashir’s voice. She opened her eyes and looked directly in Bashir’s face.
"Are you feeling alright now?" he asked with a concerned look on his face.
"What happened?" she asked, not knowing what else to say.
"You were hallucinating, talking about a Dr. Greene and talking to yourself. You were hyperactive. I had to sedate you for a while, until you calmed down.
"Who am I?"
Bashir looked at her and then turned to Dax, who was standing behind the door.
"Jadzia, it’s worse than I thought. I need to supervise her for a while. I’ll send her back to duty as soon as she’s fit. Maybe you want to visit her later the day."
Jadzia looked around the corner and shot Kyla a smile before she disappeared. Oh my God, she smiled at me!! Kyla thought before she collapsed.

"Parker, wake up!"
She felt someone slapping her face and slowly opened her eyes. He was still there. It wasn’t gone. What the **** had happened? Where was she? Had she gone completely nuts?
"Ensign, can you hear me?"
"Who am I?" she asked with a hoarse voice. Why didn't her voice comply the way she wanted it to?
"You’re Ensign Kyla Parker and you’re aboard DS9. How do you feel?"
"Like a puzzle with a dozen missing pieces. I am not sure if I really am the person you take me for. I don't belong here. My home’s Earth in the beginning 21st century, not here, aboard a space station somewhere in Bajoran space."
"Well, at least you know where you are."
"How should I not know the place where I’ve been a hundred times in my dreams?"
"Ensign – Kyla, what are you talking about?"
"Doctor, I am not Ensign Kyla Parker and I don't have a duty assignment aboard DS9."
"Who do you think you are?"
"Well, I am Kyla Parker, but I’m living on Earth in the 21st century. I’m a high school student and considered nuts from most people I know. I’m far from being the reasonable person you take me for. I’m known as a dreamer and someone who doesn’t listen to her mother. She has told me a dozen times to stop dreaming about DS9."
"I think your stay here in sickbay is gonna take a while longer, Ensign."
"I am no Ensign!"
"Ensign, please—."
Before he could react she had jumped up and was running out of sickbay. Bewildered looks around the Promenade followed her. What a luck that she knew where she had to go. Well, not exactly. She had seen and studied the blueprints of the station but where was her quarters? If she really was an Ensign she must have a room to live in. She entered a turbo lift.
"Computer, where does Ensign Kyla Parker live?"
"Habitat Ring, section Beta four six."
"Bring me there."
The turbo lift sprang into action and the doors opened only seconds later.
"Where do I have to go?"
She followed the computer’s directions and then stood in front of a door. Why didn't the door open? In the series it did, when someone approached the door. She searched for a button with a Starfleet insignia on in. There it was, and she pressed it. The door opened and she was faced with the room that was supposed to be her quarters. The room seemed familiar. Not like a Starfleet issue quarters for crewmen, more like – more like Miss Parker’s living room. The door closed behind her and suddenly it was gone. The doors that had just slid shut behind her had suddenly turned into a heavy wooden door that fell shut.
"Is that you, Kyla?" a familiar voice asked from what she assumed to be the kitchen. A quite familiar voice to be correct.
"Yes, I’m back. Where are you?"
"In the kitchen."
She went into the direction where she had heard the voice and peered around the corner. She nearly suffered from a heart attack when she saw Parker standing there, with an apron tucked into her blue bleached jeans, smiling at her. A sharp scream escaped Kyla’s lips when Parker turned around and shot her a broad smile.
"Are you alright, honey?"
Kyla leaned against the doorframe, her face ashen, her knees shaking. That couldn’t be true. She was slipping from one nightmare into another. If she knew for sure that if it were a dream she would have loved it but now that she wasn’t able to discern dreams from reality everything shocked her. Parker crossed the distance between them and took her by the arm.
"You better sit down. What’s the matter with you?"
"I-I’m fine, really."
"So, what’s your name?"
"What do you mean?"
"What’s your name," she repeated her question.
"Kyla Parker."
"Very good, who am I?"
She felt as if she would drift out of consciousness again, she felt the blood draining from her face and saw the changing look on Parker’s face. Everything seemed to move slower than usual and she saw Parker lift her hand as if in slow motion. She slapped her into the face and Kyla snapped back into the "normal" world.
"Come on, let’s get upstairs. You go to bed."
"I don't want to," Kyla protested weakly.
"No use, come on."
Parker took her by the elbow and dragged her up. Kyla’s knees went wobbly and suddenly she found herself sitting on the floor feeling like a complete idiot. Parker crouched down beside her and brushed her forehead with her lips.
"It’s alright, honey, don't you cry," she whispered.
Kyla felt hot tears that started running down her cheeks.
"Come on, you can lie down on the sofa as well."
She helped her up and Kyla sat down on he sofa.
"Don't be angry with me," she sobbed.
"Why should I be?"
"You will be, when I have asked you a question."
Parker looked at her and cocked an eyebrow.
"Who are you?"
"You’re kidding, aren’t you?" Parker laughed.
"No, I’m not," Kyla said, tears running down her cheeks.
"No need to cry, Kyla. Are you sure you’re alright? Maybe I’d better call a doctor."
"No! Not again a doctor. I’ve had enough of them for one day. Just tell me who you are."
"I am Michelle Catherine Parker, your psychiatrist, your aunt and your friend. We are living in the same house. What did they do to you at school? I know you don't like it there but it’s never been that bad before. I know of people who have suffered from partial amnesia because of a shock, so please tell me the truth. What happened?"
"Nothing. You’re a psychiatrist? I didn't--." She’d wanted to say, ‘I didn't know’, but decided against it, it surely would have sounded – wrong. She was her aunt and living in the same house. But what about DS9? Where did it go? What was real now and what wasn’t? She didn't know anymore.
"I’ll prepare a hot chocolate for you to calm down. You stay right were you are! I’ll be in the kitchen if you need me."
Parker left the room and Kyla closed her eyes. So much had happened and she didn’t know if she understood what was going on around her.

***

She must have fallen asleep because someone slapped her face. She felt cold hands on her face but those hands didn't feel like Parker’s hands, they had been soft and warm, those were cold and – larger.
"Wake up, Ensign!" Bashir’s voice again. Where was Parker? Why was HE back again? She slowly opened her eyes and looked up at him and Dax. She was lying on the floor of her Starfleet issue quarters.
"Are you alright, Ensign?"
"Why did you run away?"
Kyla looked up at them and slowly sat up. She looked around the room. It looked unfamiliar but it was supposed to be her quarters. Some things seemed a little familiar, like the photo of Miss Parker on a shelf.
Dax and Bashir helped her up and walked her out of her quarters.
"Where are we going?"
"Back to sickbay."
She sighed and looked down at the ground. When she looked at herself, she couldn’t help but smile. A Starfleet uniform. She was really wearing a Starfleet uniform. How often had she wished to own one of them.
They re-entered sickbay. Kyla had no idea what would happen next. She had clearly disobeyed orders from the CMO. Would they reduce her rank to crewman? Take her pip away? Somehow she was afraid. But afraid of what? She still had no idea what was real and what wasn’t. Nothing really bad could happen, she hoped. She was deep in her thoughts and didn't hear Dax and Bashir talking about her, about the possibility of her suffering from some kind of multiple personality.
"She’s been talking to herself and to someone called Dr. Greene. And she insisted on being from the 21st century."
"I don't know what happened to her. One minute she was working on her computer terminal, the next she started to talk to herself. Then she jumped up and ran around the room. She looked like a caged animal. Can you do something about her condition?"
"I have to conduct some examinations to find out what’s been happening. I’ll call you when I know more, OK?"
"Alright. Kyla, I'll leave you again. Don't you run away again! Kyla? Kyla, are you listening to me?"
Her head snapped around and she looked at Dax.
"What?"
"I said, that I'll leave you again. Don't run away again," Dax said and shook her head in disbelief. How could someone change that much in such a short time? She walked out of the room and Kyla retreated into her memories.
"Lie down and relax, Ensign. We have lot of work to do to find out what’s the matter with you."
*RELAX?? You must be kidding,* she thought and closed her eyes. What a day. What the hell was real now? Was she already lying somewhere in a loony bin, imagining all this? Think back, she told herself. What was the last thing, you remember from the real world? Right, Dr. Greene, the head shrinker. It was all his fault! He had drugged her and brought her to the lunatic asylum, that’s why she had these hallucinations. Another ridiculous thought. Was this real? The beeping of the computers around her made her sleepy and she dozed off.

***

"Wonderful story, Kyla, but are you sure that that makes sense? Slipping from one reality to the next? I don't think so. Your mother was quite right, we have to do something about it. You won’t like it, but I have to set you under psychological supervision."
Kyla looked around, completely confused. Where was she now? Did she tell all those things to Dr. Greene? She didn't imagine it? She just told it to him and to her it became real? What did he just say?
"What did you just say?" she asked.
"I have to send you to a clinic where you will be under constant psychological supervision."
"You’re kidding, are you? You can’t force me to go there."
"I’m sorry, but I can. First I’ll call your mother and then an ambulance, they will bring you there."
Kyla hid her face behind her hands, tears starting to run down her face. She heard Dr. Greene get up and expected to feel his hands on her shoulder or something like that. But he rummaged around somewhere behind her and she suddenly felt the prick of a needle at her upper arm.
"You’ll calm down", he said and went to his phone. She could hear him talk to her mother and then asked his assistant to call an ambulance. The world around her seemed to be wrapped in cotton wool. Voices began to sound hollow, her surroundings seemed out of focus. Had he really drugged her to bring her to a loony bin?

***

She felt strong arms lift her up, felt a blanket being wrapped around her and the she was carried out of the room. They went down the stairs, out into the cold air. Hadn’t it been warm, when she had arrived? She opened her eyes a little bit to see where she was. She closed them again. That wasn’t real! She opened them again, only to see the same face as before. She was carried around by Jarod! It was dark outside and he heaved her into the car. She was lying on the backseat, her head in Jarod’s lap. Whoooooooooaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! No, she was definitely dreaming.
"Is she alright?" she heard her mother’s voice from the driver’s seat.
"She will be", Jarod assured her.
Oh God, they were working together. So this had to be real, she’d never imagined her mother before. True or false? Well, her mother had appeared in her dreams before, but always as the bad guy. Now she was the good guy. Once again she opened her eyes and looked directly into Jarod’s dark brown eyes.
"Hey there. How do you feel?"
"Where am I?"
"You’re save. I had to kidnap you from the hands of the psychiatrist. Well, I think that the police will be searching for us soon."
"What’s gonna happen to me now?"
"We’ll meet with Rachel to find out what really happened."
"With whom?"
"Rachel Burke, she’s a Profiler and I hope she can help us. She can somehow reconstruct the happenings of the past."
Definitely a dream or a hallucination. First Star Trek, then an alternate Pretender universe, then back to Star Trek and now another reality where all of her favourite series were mingled? This couldn’t be true.
"But why are you here?"
"Me? Your mother called me to ask for my help. She has asked me to stop the psycho doc. She didn't want you to end up in a lunatic asylum."
The car stopped and Jarod helped her to sit up. Her mother got out of the car and stretched her body. Kyla watched her and knew that something was wrong. That wasn’t her mother, the woman only had her mother’s voice. Slowly she got out of the car on wobbly legs. Jarod got out as well and fetched a bottle of water from the trunk. He gave it to Kyla who smiled thankfully. The woman had stopped her stretching and came to stand beside the two of them. A familiar face but at first she didn't know where she had seen the woman before. It definitely wasn’t her mother, even if she had her voice. She was thinner and a few years younger. The hair-do was nearly the same, but she had brown hair instead of blond and her eyes were brown while her mother’s were blue. That was -- yes, now she knew where she had seen the woman before. It was Kira Nerys, the First Officer aboard the space station DS9. But what was she doing here? Dream. Definitely.
"Kyla, what’s the matter?" she asked, "Anything wrong?"
"You’re not my mother", she stated.
"Not that I know, why?"
"You have her voice."
"Do I have to apologize for that?"
"No, it’s just -- it seems somehow wrong. What’s your name?"
"Kira. Kira Lewellyn."
Kyla tried to figure out what was happening around her. She knew how it would be possible to find out whether she was in her own reality or somewhere trapped in her mind or something like that. The Internet and the pretendfic group. They could answer her questions, hopefully.
"Do you have access to the Internet?" she asked Jarod.
"My laptop is capable of establishing a communication link, yes. Why do you ask?"
"Would you mind if I use this to ask someone a favour?"
"As long as you don't tell them where you are. I’ll show you how it works when we’re back in the car."
"It’s working in the car as well?"
Jarod nodded and got into the car. Slowly Kyla followed him. She couldn’t help but think of being somewhere else, and all this being a hallucination.

***


"She’s slowly regaining consciousness", she heard a voice from somewhere far away. It was bright day, the light was too bright. Keep your eyes closed, she told herself.

***


"Kyla, what’s the matter?" Jarod’s voice whispered close to her ear. She opened her eyes. She was sitting in the car beside Jarod, Ms Lewellyn in front of her.
"Wanna lie down again?"
"No, I’m fine. Fine - really. May I use your computer?"
Jarod only looked at her and handed her his laptop. Kyla only hoped that it would work the way she had thought it would. She was able to access her mail account, ok, so far it was working. This had to be real, her mailbox was filled with mails from her mailing list. So what now? Should she tell them what had happened to her? Maybe they would see it as a new story or ban her from the group for talking such nonsense. It was worth a try. She wrote about her day, about sitting next to Jarod (and it was the real Jarod, not the actor). Now she could only wait for an answer. And that answers came only minutes later. Myra had written back. She said that she were in the same universe, that she was trapped there as well and had no idea how to get back to her own reality.
*Maybe we can meet,* she suggested.
Jarod, who had read along only shook his head when Kyla looked up at him.
"It’s too dangerous."
"Oh come on, you don't even know her."
"Do you? You only know her through her mails. How can you tell that this is not a trap? That she’s really the person she pretends to be?"
"Jarod, who knows that I’m a member of this list? What are we playing? Hide-and-seek? You’re not telling me the whole truth, are you? There are some things you’re keeping to yourself. Why don't you tell me what’s the matter here?"
"OK, arrange a meeting with her, we’ll talk about that topic later."
Kyla went through her other mail. Four more girls had written, telling her that they were experiencing the same dislocations. They arranged to meet the next day. Something was wrong, she just couldn’t put a finger on it.
"Jarod, where are we?" she asked.
"What do you mean? We’re in the car."
"No, I mean, what country."
Jarod looked at her as if he hadn’t understood the question. After a short pause and exchanged looks with Ms Lewellyn, he sighed.
"We’re in the US, what did you expect me to answer?"
"I don't know. But something’s wrong. I’ve arranged a meeting with KB, Mandy, Mallory, Kylie and Myra for tomorrow. KB, Mandy and Kylie are definitely Australian, how can we meet here in the US?"
"Maybe they’re on holidays?"
"That sounds stupid," Kira said from the front.
"Exactly," Kyla said, "Something wrong. Jarod, are you real?"
"Uuuh, what?"
"Are you real or are you an hallucination?"
"Of course I’m real. Do I look like a hallucination?"
He took her hand and placed it onto his chest.
"Do I feel real?"
Kyla nodded and instinctively pulled back her hand. Somehow she was afraid of him, even though she had often dreamed of being with him. What if this was a dream? What if she was lying in her bed and dreaming all this fuss? Maybe it worked the way it sometimes did, if she just told herself to wake up, to open her eyes and make the dream end. She tried but it didn't work. She squeezed her eyes shut and opened them again. She only got some confused gazes from Jarod and a concerned question if she were alright. Well, so much for the dream-theory. That only left the hallucination or the fact that she had gone completely nuts. She preferred the hallucination. What would Michael think about her now? He had often told her that she were crazy, what if he was right? Would there be a chance that he would love her again? Would she ever come back into her own reality to see him again? That kind of thinking somehow made her sleepy. She closed the laptop and gave it back to Jarod. Then she leaned her head against the window and looked outside into the pitch-black darkness. She closed her eyes and dozed off.


t.b.c
Chapters 6 -10 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 6 - 10

"Ms Parker, will you open your eyes", an unfamiliar voice barked at her. Slowly she opened one eye only to squeeze it shut again as the light blinded her. Where was she now? Maybe back in her own reality? Or did she jump to another world? Another TV series? She’d never imagined being in another series before. No, wait a second. That voice was not that unfamiliar. She had heard it before, somewhere. But where? She opened her eyes and blinked into the light. She was lying on a hard bed and wasn’t able to move. Several people were standing around her, staring down at her. She knew that face. A young woman, about 5 ½ ft tall, with grey-blue eyes and short brown hair. Her long fingers were playing with a syringe, she was holding. She smiled and it seemed to Kyla that she had seen that face before. Somewhere on a photo. Photo - wait a second - yes! That was Myra.
"Myra?"
She only smiled, not saying a thing. She looked up at the man standing beside her. The man that had been talking to her earlier. It was Mr. Lyle. What was he doing here? And where were Jarod and Ms Lewellyn? Had they been abducted while she had been sleeping? Or was this another reality where Jarod was one of the bad guys? Or was she once again in another reality?
"Where am I?" Kyla asked in a hoarse voice.
"Where do you expect to be after all what you’ve done?" Lyle asked.
"After all I’ve done? What did I do?"
"You spied on us, you were collaborating with the enemy and you worked against us. You know what that means for an employee of the Centre," he said and grinned wickedly.
What, an employee of the Centre? She was part of that hell-house? Definitely another dream. But what about Jarod? She had wanted to arrange a meeting with Myra, now she had one, but she had thought it to be different. Myra was one of the bad guys, and she herself seemed to be one of the good guys who had been caught while working for the wrong side. What had she done?
"What have I done to be treated this way?" Kyla asked, needing all her courage to face Lyle.
"You were working with Jarod. You helped him escape. You will face the same fate as your friend," he said and gestured towards another bed where Miss Parker was lying. Her friend?
"Why she?"
"You were working together, why not she?"
"Let her go," Kyla demanded.
"Of course I will let her go," Lyle grinned and mentioned Myra to help Parker up.
"You are free to go, Parker", he said and couldn’t stop grinning. There was something in Parker’s eyes that told her to stop talking.
"Go, Parker."
"I’m waiting for your orders", she said, not moving.
Oh no, another brain washing experiment. But somehow Parker seemed to have resisted. There was a sparkle in her eyes and Kyla knew that she could count on her.
"What have you done to her?" she asked Lyle.
"Oh, this is part of the Centre’s retraining-facility. She’ll listen to my orders only and from now on she’ll be working for me. And I intend to catch Jarod. He trusts her and he’ll be mine, the next time they meet. Oh, and you will help us as well," he said still grinning wickedly.
Kyla wasn’t sure if she could resist the "retraining" the way Parker had but she intended to do her best. She didn't want to end up like another Angelo or worse, like a slave of Lyle. Lyle said something and Parker left the room. Now she was alone again, alone with Lyle and Myra. Was everybody against her? She felt the prick of a needle on her upper arm and from the corner of her eyes she saw Myra step back.
"Well done," Lyle said to her and kissed her on the cheek. What?? Lyle had kissed Myra? What kind of reality was this? Her head grew heavy and her surroundings seemed to disappear into darkness. She didn't see Lyle grin broadly, didn't feel that she was lifted and brought into another room.
They laid her down on a small bed inside an empty room with no window and only a light bulb at the ceiling. Somewhere, invisibly hidden behind cracks in the wall, there were cameras watching her constantly. She was high on drugs that Myra had injected her. Myra, who had followed them stood beside the bed and waved the two men away who had carried Kyla. They closed the door behind them and the two young women were alone. Myra was still playing with the syringe in her hands and was looking down at Kyla. The door opened again and Lyle entered the room. He was smiling when he saw the syringe in Myra's hands.
"Can't get enough, can you?" he said she only grinned.
"You know that I forever have to have something to do with my hands or else I'm incapable of concentrating."
"So what are you concentrating on?"
"Her thoughts. There's something on her mind that doesn't belong here. Maybe she doesn't even belong here. Maybe we caught the wrong person. What if she wasn't working with Parker the way we think? What if there are other people involved?"
Lyle only looked at her and shook his head. Then he took her by the arm and led her out of the room.

***

Kyla opened her eyes and looked around the room. The light seemed to be artificial and it was somehow too bright to be sunlight. The ceiling was high above her. The last thing she remembered was her encounter with Lyle and Myra, but where was she now? Why couldn't she just go back to her own reality? For the umpteenth time she imagined herself already being in a lunatic asylum, drugged and without any connection to the real world. What if it was true? She had no connection to HER world, was jumping from one imagined world to the next and had no idea what was really happening around her. From one corner of her mind she saw a movement and slowly turned her head. Oh no, not again here. Again on DS9? But something was different. This wasn't Deep Space Nine, it was somewhere else, but definitely in the future. A woman came towards her bed and looked down at her. She had long red hair that curled around her face. She smiled when she looked into Kyla's eyes.
"Nice to have you back. How do you feel?"
Kyla looked around, somehow the surroundings seemed familiar, but that had always been the case when she had jumped to another fantasy of hers.
"Where am I?" she asked, already knowing the answer.
"You're on the Enterprise, and you're save now."
"Save? Save from what?"
"You've been taken hostage while on an away mission. They were trying to erase your brain patterns, some kind of brain washing. Data and Geordie have found you and freed you. Now you're back and I've been able to repair the damage they've done to your brain," the woman said.
Kyla only looked around the room, trying to remember the woman's name. Crusher! Dr. Beverly Crusher. Right, the CMO aboard the Enterprise. She wanted to sit up, but Dr. Crusher put her hand on Kyla's shoulder and shook her head.
"You're not in the condition to get up yet. You'll stay here for another day or so."
She heard the doors open and Dr. Crusher turned around. It was an old man without any hair, a black and red uniform -- a DS9 uniform, what meant that she was somewhere in the 6th or 7th season. Well, Dr. Crusher still wore the old uniform, but that was normal, even in the movie Star Trek - Generations she still had that uniform, along with some other crewmen. Kyla had to smile when she thought back to a conversation she had had with Michael (back in a time where they had been good friends and had used to talk about Star Trek) and their discussion about the film and all the different uniforms. The old man, well, old, yes, about in his mid-sixties, was standing beside her bed, looking down at her.
"I hope you're well, Ensign."
"Yes, thank you, Captain," she said after seeing his four collar pips, "I'm fine."
Picard, his name was Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Oh my God, she thought, I'm getting old, I can't remember the names of my favourite Star Trek characters.
*There was a time when I knew every episode, every name, could tell which episode it was only by seeing one scene and now I don't even remember the names of the main characters, what a shame!* Kyla thought.
Picard smiled and then turned to Dr. Crusher. They left her alone and Kyla kept on thinking about all the things that were going around her head. She had no idea where exactly on the ship sickbay was situated. She tried to remember the blueprints she had stored somewhere in her room, in her own reality, but she couldn't remember anything, except the one thing that the bridge was on deck 1, but that was the case on all star ships. Whatever, maybe it was the same as in every other case, that she wouldn't be here long enough to really have that problem. She heard the door open again, but didn't bother to look, it would be Captain Picard, who was leaving the room. She felt a hand on her arm and suppressed the urge to scream out loud. She turned her head and looked into the white face of Data, the Android.
"I am sorry, that I have scared you. I only wanted to see how you were."
"I am fine, thank you Data."
"Here's someone, who wanted to see you a well."
A large red cat jumped onto the bed and looked at her.
"Hey Spot. Nice to see you."
At least I still know the name of Data's cat, she thought. Picard and Dr. Crusher came back from Dr. Crusher's office and they both smiled when they saw Data and his cat.
"Data, animals are not allowed inside sickbay", she reminded him.
"I am sorry, Doctor, I just thought that it might help her."
"She's alright. Please take the cat away, will you?"
Data nodded and took Spot who protested wildly. Kyla waved them goodbye and then closed her eyes. She had anticipated to be somewhere else when she opened them again, but she was still in sickbay, still on the Enterprise and nothing had changed. Somehow it was good to still be at the same place. Whenever she "changed universe" she felt disoriented at the beginning. The longer she stayed in one reality the more came back to her. She remembered many of the things she had seen on TV, but it was something completely different to be in a world of which she knew that it didn't really exist, at least not yet. She knew the construction of the set itself, she had been there to watch the filming of the episodes. Now it was real. A real world with real people who didn't know that they only existed in people's minds. They didn't know of the actors and actresses who had given them their appearance, they didn't know that many people admired them, tried to become a little more like them or even changed their names. They didn't know of the phenomenon called fandom, didn't know of fanfic and the writer's fantasies. Another idea came to Kyla's mind: What if she was caught inside the fanfic of another author? She had been writing some fanfic (which she didn't consider to be very good) and she knew of other stories that involved the writers themselves. This could be another possibility. But she still didn't know what she should make of the ever-changing place of events. The highest possibility was still the one of her being crazy. Why not? She had heard it often that people had called her crazy, a lunatic, disconnected from reality and many more things. From time to time she had even believed it herself.
A movement beside her bed made her turn her head. Dr. Crusher was standing beside her, checking on her bio-readings on the monitor beside the bed. Kyla thought about a possibility to solve the problem.
"Doctor, am I crazy?"
"What?"
"Am I crazy? Have I gone nuts?"
"No way, Ensign. This is all an after-effect of the brain-washing experiments, if you mean hallucinations or things like that."
Kyla sighed.
"No, it's something different, but I'm not sure if I can tell you."
"You can try. Then I can tell you whether it is nonsense or something we should take care of. What do you think?"
"Guess I could live with it. But what if you say that it is nonsense?"
"Depends on what you're telling me," Dr. Crusher smiled.
"I'd prefer to have this conversation in a private room. Could you release me to my quarters?"
"From the medical point of view it's not wise but I think I can make an exception. I'll help you to get up. I don't think you're fit to walk on your own."
Dr. Crusher held her by the arm and led her out of sickbay. They entered the turbo lift and nearly instantly the doors opened again to reveal another corridor with the living quarters. The entered the room which was supposed to be Kyla's quarters. She didn't recognize the room, but one thing was the same as in her quarters on DS9, the frame with Miss Parker's photo, at least something that was repeating itself.
Crusher led her towards the sofa and she let herself fall down heavily. The Doctor only smiled and sat down beside her.
"I guess it would be a better topic to discuss with the counsellor," Kyla said.
"No, it's alright. But if you prefer to speak with Deanna Troi I can understand that."
"I'd feel more comfortable to discuss it with someone who is not trained to read my thoughts. Somehow I feel uncomfortable in her presence."
"She can't read your mind, only her mother can. Her mother's a full Betazoid, Deanna is half human. She can only read your feelings. So if you're feeling sad she can feel it. It's nothing to feel uncomfortable about."
Kyla shrugged her shoulders and pulled a strand of hair back that kept falling into her eyes. Normally she hated her hair, but today she was happy it was this long and kept hanging into her face so she could hide behind it. Somehow she wanted to avoid this topic, she didn't want to talk about it. But Dr. Crusher stayed by her side and waited patiently. She didn't press her to talk, she was just sitting beside her, looking at her.
"Would you mind if I told you only one half of the story? I'm not sure about the other half."
"Of course. I wouldn't even mind if you decided not to talk about it at all."
"No, I need to talk about it to be sure it really happened. There's just one question I want to ask you before I start telling. Is it normal that I don't remember anything that happened before I woke up in sickbay?"
"Yes, that's not unusual. Your brain was severely damaged and I had to perform major surgery. It is possible that your short time memory has been totally erased."
"But it's not only my short time memory. I have no idea how I came here or what my job is. But that's already part of my story."
"To be honest, that's not normal," Dr. Crusher said, "I would feel better if you returned to sickbay after we have finished talking."
Kyla only looked at her, but didn't say a word. Back in "her real world" she had adored Dr. Crusher and the actress who played her and now she found herself in her reality and even sitting beside her on a sofa. Somehow she liked this reality. Dr. Crusher was really caring about her and wasn't calling her a lunatic before she had heard the story. Most people thought that she was crazy before she had even talked to them. Dr. Crusher was different. So Kyla decided to tell her a part of her story, that part that didn't seem to be too complicated, she hoped. She started by telling her that she was from a different reality. From Dr. Crusher's face she could see that she was still listening to her, trying to understand what she was trying to tell her. She kept on telling her that she remembered being a quite normal girl in her world. That her mother had sent her to a psychiatrist and from that moment on everything had kept going wrong. She told her that she had found herself in different realities, all TV series she loved to watch.
"What is a TV series?" Dr. Crusher interrupted her.
"That was before holodecks existed. People sat in front of a screen and watched actors who were playing."
"Like theatre? You had no chance of altering the plot?"
"That's right. Only by writing stories by yourself you have the chance to make them act the way you want to. That's called fan fiction. I have written a few stories myself and the people I've encountered in these different realities act exactly the way I've always imagined they would act in my stories."
"So you think that there's a connection between your writing and the things you've been going through?"
"You believe me?"
"Of course I do, why shouldn't I believe it? You don't look as if you were crazy. I have to admit, it sounds a little confusing to me, but I'm sure I'll understand it if you told me the rest of it."
"The only thing I really want is to return to my own reality and be the girl I used to be."
Another thought came to her mind. The Pretender Payback. The "real" Miss Parker, Jarod and the others had tried to change the real world by writing a story of their own. What if she tried the same? She had plenty of ideas for new stories, why not start working on them right now?
"You better return to sickbay with me now, you don't look well."
"I feel a little dizzy, but otherwise I'm fine."
"You're coming with me. And that's an order."
"Yes, ma'am." Kyla thought it sounded ridiculous, coming from her mouth. Reluctantly she followed Dr. Crusher to sickbay. She had wanted to start writing right away, but she didn't dare to ask someone for paper and a pen. She suspected that they'd laugh at her for asking for such ancient things, in this time they used pads for such simple things like writing. But writing was out of fashion. They had no idea how a computer worked in the 21st century or how wonderful handwriting could be. Computers in the 24th century worked via voice commands. Somehow boring.
She was lying on the bed where Dr. Crusher had told her to lie down on, staring at the ceiling. She wondered what happened to those realities where she had been before. She had been to DS9 twice, so she knew that they didn't stop existing. But what about her? Was she sleeping? She knew that every time she had fallen asleep or fallen unconscious she had changed place. So it was only logical to assume that she was still sleeping in the other realities. She wondered when she would shift place again. She had been here for much longer than in any other reality before. Maybe this shift was final? Maybe she was stuck here forever. How she had wished to be part of it. Part of the Enterprise, a crewmember under Jean-Luc Picard. Now that she was, she wished to be home. Somehow ridiculous. Her wish had come true and she didn't want the dream anymore. She had to make the best of it. Maybe she could get used to life on a star ship, especially a star ship the size of the Enterprise.
"You may leave sickbay and return to your quarters," Dr. Crusher said and looked at Kyla. Kyla slowly sat up. She smiled at Dr. Crusher and went out of the doors. There she was, alone and lost on a large spaceship like the Enterprise.
She returned to her quarters and the first thing she did was checking her timetable. Usually, when getting home, she was checking for new emails but here? She seemed to have missed quite a few appointments. There was a sign on the screen that looked like an envelope and it was blinking. Mail? She tapped the sign with her finger and a face appeared on the screen. The woman strangely resembled Miss Parker and she only said "Get well soon," before the face disappeared again only to be replaced by another face. He had white skin with a golden touch and black hair. Data! He said something about a missed lesson in tap-dancing. Tap-dancing? She was taking lessons from Data? Or was she giving lessons? She had no idea. Another face appeared on the screen. It was completely unfamiliar to her. A girl of about 16 years with dark brown hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a black turtleneck. Something was familiar, but maybe it was just the picture in the background.
"Holodeck 3, 8 p.m., tonight," she said and disappeared again. Her face was replaced by the sign of the United Federation of Planets, a blue and white symbol that looked mostly like the UNO flag. It was silent inside the room and she glanced at her wrist only to discover that her watch was gone.
"Computer, what time is it?"
"7.53 p.m."
Kyla jumped up. She had seven minutes to get to the holodeck. She didn't even have time to change. Still dressed in her uniform she strode purposefully through the ship's corridors and into the turbo lift.
The doors opened again and she found herself standing in front of the huge holodeck doors.
"Program running, enter when ready," the computer's voice said.
The doors opened and she saw herself faced with a most familiar sight. This was Miss Parker's living room. She had been here earlier. She had fallen asleep and then she had shifted to another place. So now she was back here because someone she had never seen before had told her to come to the holodeck. She still had no idea who this girl was who had told her to come here or why she had wanted her to come. The doorbell rang. Miss Parker came from the kitchen smiled at Kyla and opened the door. There was this girl again who had sent her the message.
"Hello Krystal," she heard Miss Parker say, "Kyla's not well, but I think she'll be fit enough for a little talk."
What was this? Another shift in a new and unfamiliar way or just a holodeck program?
"Computer, end program," she murmured hoping that neither Miss Parker nor Krystal had heard her. Krystal was another member of the pretendfic mailing list. She had been writing a story called "Delusions" in which she described how her life had changed since she had begun to see Miss Parker and Jarod at her school, or something like that. To her shame she had to admit that she hadn't read it yet. Krystal came to stand beside her.
"Already feeling at home?" she grinned.
"What do you mean?"
"Don't you get annoyed with these shifts? Mine are coming in quite regular intervals by now. I'm getting used to it."
"There are more people shifting through realties?" Krystal nodded and took Kyla by the elbow. She sat down on the sofa and mentioned Kyla to do the same. Miss Parker came down the stairs again and smiled as she saw the girls sitting on the sofa. The doorbell rang again and Miss Parker opened the door. Another girl, a little older then they both were, was standing outside, smiling.
"Hi KB, nice to see you," Miss Parker said, "Come in. Krystal's here as well."
"How does everybody know that I'm here?" Kyla whispered.
"I didn't know. I just happened to walk in that door and end up in your world. Our fantasies are interconnected and there's no way to tell where a door leads."
"Can you help me to get back to my own reality?" KB sat down on the sofa beside them and smiled.
"That's a nice question," she said, "I wish I knew. But I know that there are more of us who are caught between the universes. We are trying to find a way back. Maybe you can join the group and help us find a way home."
"But what happens when I shift to another reality?"
"We shift as well."
"To the same universe?"
KB and Krystal shook their head in unison.
"Everybody who's caught between the universes shifts between their favourite TV series. Depends on how many series you like. Some people only shift between two series, others like you, shift between five or more," Krystal said.
"How do you know it's five?"
"Good guess. I know that you like Pretender and Star Trek. I was really just guessing."
They stopped talking when Miss Parker came back into the room. She stood in front of the girls looking down on them.
"Anybody want a hot chocolate?" she asked.
They looked at each other and nodded.
"Krystal, one question," Kyla said as Miss Parker had disappeared into the kitchen, "How were you able to contact me?"
"Contact you? Where?"
"You didn't send me a message, telling me to come to the holodeck?"
"No, how should I have done this? I've been here with the Pretender universe for quite a while. Why do you ask?"
"I saw you. At least I think I saw you on my screen."
"Holodeck? Sounds like Star Trek to me."
"Yeah, right, the Enterprise."
"I've been there before, but I've never seen you."
"I've been there the first time."
"Must've been my imagination. But I'm sure that I've never seen a photo of you. The only thing I knew about you was the fact, that you like dark clothes and that you have dark hair. That's all."
"Did anybody else seem familiar to you?" KB interrupted.
"Except the characters from the series? No. I just encountered a Star Trek person in the Pretender universe and Jarod was talking about the profiler Rachel Burke, but they have met before. I feel like going crazy."
Krystal and KB grinned. Miss Parker came from the kitchen, balancing four mugs with steaming hot chocolate on a tray. She smiled at the girls and set the tray onto the table.
"I hope you don't mind if I join you while drinking my chocolate!?"
Without waiting for an answer she sat down on the sofa beside Krystal. Krystal smiled at her and took the mug Parker offered her.
When Parker had disappeared in her room again Krystal and KB looked at Kyla without saying a word.
"What is wrong?" Kyla asked.
"She's so different. Whenever I met her, she was chasing Jarod, always kind of a bad guy. Now she's here with you, being like a mother, a good friend. What did you do?"
"What did you expect, when you stood in front of the door?" Kyla asked instead of an answer.
"Uuuh, I was about to enter my own house. I expected my husband to show up and open the door for me. And I admit, that Jarod is that husband," KB said and grinned. Krystal and Kyla smiled and both had to think of the fic that Krystal and KB had written called "Delusions". It ended with KB and Jarod getting married.
"I was at school, in the real world. It was lunch break and I went to the locker room to store my bags. A friend of mine told me that the principal wanted to see me. So I went up the stairs and was waiting to be let inside. That's when Parker showed up."
Kyla looked at herself and something seemed to have changed. She realized that she didn't wear the Starfleet uniform anymore. She didn't even notice that the clothes had changed when she had entered the holodeck. Holodeck? Another reality? Whatever, her clothes had changed.

***

Her communicator beeped. What communicator? She looked around and found herself in her quarters staring at the computer screen in front of her. Krystal's face was still there. Hadn't she just been to the holodeck? Hadn't she just had a meeting with KB and Krystal at Parker's house? Yes, she could clearly remember Krystal say that she had been waiting in front of the principal's door at school when Parker had opened and had let her in. But where were they now? The fact that she was sitting inside her quarters aboard the Enterprise made the things more complicated. Was this another new way to shift between the universes? But she was back aboard the Enterprise and she was still searching for a way to get back. Back to where? Back to her "real" life where her mother was sending her to see a shrink? She could think of a better way of living. But Jarod had rescued her from the evil shrink who had wanted to send her into a closed facility. By the way, what had happened to him? She had to find a way to get back to this universe and see him. Or was there a chance he would come to her universe and bring her out of here?
The communicator beeped again. Dr. Crusher asked her to report to sickbay. She said she had found something interesting. Kyla sighed and left her room again. When the door to sickbay opened it wasn't only Crusher waiting for her but Data and Geordie LaForge as well. The three of them stared at a computer screen and didn't even realize that she entered the room. When she finally spoke Crusher and Geordie jumped. Data just smiled. *Data smiled? There was something wrong about this universe! Data never smiled.*
"We think we have found something that should be interesting for you," Geordie said. "Look at this star chart," he said and pointed at the screen.
"There are disturbances in space-time near the place we've been. It would be possible that you have somehow switched bodies with your alter ego from this time and place," Data explained.

***

“She’s slowly regaining consciousness”, she heard a voice from somewhere far away. It was bright day, the light was too bright. Keep your eyes closed, she told herself. The sentence seemed familiar and so did her reaction. She had no idea where she was or what had happened. Who was she anyway? She tried to move but couldn't. Something kept her from even opening her eyes.
"Her eyes are open. Kyla, can you see me?"
Who was this woman talking to? Who was Kyla?

***

"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Ensign Parker? Everything alright?" she heard Dr. Crusher say and slowly opened her eyes. She was lying on the floor and looked up into Dr. Crusher's face. Crusher was kneeling beside her and running a tricorder up and down her body.
"You collapsed," Crusher stated, "but something was wrong. You seemed to be in a state of flux before you hit the ground. You've been lucky to stand beside Data. He caught you just in time. How do you feel?"
"I don't know. Everything seems so far away. Where am I?"
"Sickbay aboard the Enterprise. What is the last thing you remember?"
"I'm supposed to be home by six. What time is it?"
Concentrating was getting harder and names kept slipping from her mind. Who was the red-haired woman? Why was she asking so many questions? Why was the guy next to her so pale in the face and what kind of funny sunglasses was the other one wearing? What did the woman say, where was she? Enterprise? Was she in Oregon? She felt sleepy.
"Kyla, stay with me. Kyla, hey! Concentrate on my voice. You have to stay conscious!"
*I don't want to concentrate. I'm afraid of the darkness that's creeping up to me. Help me!*


***


“She’s slowly regaining consciousness”, she heard a voice from somewhere far away. It was bright day, the light was too bright. Keep your eyes closed, she told herself. There it was again. That voice. Where had she just been in her thoughts?
"Open your eyes, Kyla, look at me."
She opened her eyes and looked at a man of about 40 years. He seemed familiar.
"Kyla, do you recognize me?" he asked and Kyla only nodded.
"You've been off for nearly one hour. We've been trying to wake you but we couldn't. We started to get worried. I'm glad you're back."
"Welcome back," another voice said from the door. Dax was just entering sickbay. "I was worried we'd loose a crew member. How do you feel?"
"I don't know. I feel a little funny. What did you do to me?"
"You don't want to know, I'm sure about that. You will stay here a little longer than expected. Something was definitely wrong with you. We will run extended tests."
"Did you want to say something about me being in a kind of flux?" Kyla asked. Bashir looked at her and just nodded.
"How do you know?"
"Seems vaguely familiar to me. I've heard it before."
"You've heard it before? Where and when?"
"It seems like only minutes ago. But somewhere far away."
"Have you been in another universe?"
"I think I've been on the Enterprise."
"Enterprise? With Captain Picard?"
"Yes. But I've been to another place as well. In the time I think I belong to, the 21st century."
"We have to talk about that, Kyla. But you have to get well first."
"I'm feeling ok. Can't I go to my quarters? I'd feel much more comfortable there."
"No doubts about that but you need medical attention. I don't want to leave you alone right now."
"I could go with her," Dax volunteered, "We can go to her quarters and discuss some things she has seen so far."
"If you say so. You're the higher ranking officer."
"You're the CMO, Julian, I wouldn't do it against your strict order."
"It's alright. But please contact me as soon as something weird happens, ok?"
Kyla and Dax just nodded. Kyla slowly sat up. She felt a little dizzy and had to steady herself at the bed she had just laid on. Dax took her by the arm and led her towards the sickbay doors.
They walked through the corridors that seemed so familiar and yet so strange. What if she really belonged here and everything else was just a bad dream? It felt wrong. Everything felt wrong even Dax' helping hand at her upper arm. It was real. It was as real as her memories of "home" in the 21st century back on Earth. Just as real as the memories of Miss Parker, Jarod, Data, Dr. Crusher, Geordie, Krystal and all the others. So, what was real then and what wasn't? Or was everything real? Or was everything just a dream? Maybe it was a conspiracy or she had been sucked into her TV and was living in all the TV series. Maybe people in front of the telly could see her along with the actors? Maybe she could try to manipulate the storyline and find a way back out? But what if it was something completely different? She had met people from the mailing list that definitely existed in the 21st century. She had memories of a childhood in a small town named White Bear Lake in Minnesota together with her parents, her little brother and a dog. But all this could be part of a dream. But she had no memories of a past on Enterprise or Deep Space Nine or a past with Michelle Catherine Parker or Jarod or anything that had to do with the Centre. Everything existed only on TV shows and in written fan fiction.
*Stop thinking about it*, she told herself, *You'll find out soon enough what all this means. In the meantime enjoy it. No school, no parents, your dream worlds all in one place and you in the middle of it. What more can you wish for? Maybe Michael. If he were with me maybe it would be easier. No. Stop it and concentrate on what's happening right now. Who knows maybe a change of universe is right behind the door of your quarters.*
"Are you alright?" Dax asked, "You haven't said a word since we left sickbay."
"I'm fine. What about you? Don't you have duties to perform? I mean, I'm just a simple Ensign why do you care about my well being?"
"You're not a simple Ensign you're a friend of mine and no – I don't have any duties to perform I'm on holidays as you would put it. There are a lot of things we have to talk about. We have more things in common than you think. Let's go inside and drink a hot chocolate and talk. I need someone to talk to as well. There are a lot of things that need to be said."
Kyla just looked at her and opened the doors to her quarters. It looked liked any other Starfleet issue quarters. No sign of another universe… Maybe it was Dax. She felt a little shaky as she entered her quarters but nothing happened. Dax' grip on her upper arm tightened as she staggered.
"Sit down on the sofa. I'll get something to drink for us. Do you like Rakdajino?"
"I don't know. Never tried."
"You are from the 21st century, are you? You're not kidding."
"I don't think so. I'd like a hot chocolate, please. Why are you suddenly so sure I don't belong to this place?"
"I hope you can live with the truth. I don't belong here either. I'm not Jadzia Dax the Trill with the symbiont inside her. And I don't belong here."
"Are you a shape shifter?"
"No. I'm Terry Farrell," she said and Kyla faded.

***

"Kyla, wake up. We're almost there. You have to get changed before we meet with Rachel."
She slowly opened her eyes and found herself sitting in the car with Jarod and Ms Lewellyn. Her head was lying in Jarod's lap and she looked up at his smiling face. How often had she dreamed about waking up like that but now that it was true she felt uncomfortable. He was a stranger to her after all. She sat up and looked out of the window.
"How long have I been asleep? This looks like Chicago to me."
"It is Chicago. The sedative Dr. Greene gave to you was stronger than I suspected. You were out for nearly eight hours. We'll stay at the Holiday Inn tonight. You are supposed to be our daughter. If you're not feeling comfortable with calling us mom and dad you might as well call us by out first names. But please know that you're not to speak to anyone except us."
"What's this all about? Are we on a wanted add or something like that? I'm a very talkative person. How can I just shut up without knowing why?"
"OK, let's try it the other way round. We'll go to our room and order dinner from the room service so you're not tempted to speak to strangers. After dinner we'll meet with Rachel who is staying in Chicago at the moment. I hope she knows how to help you."
"Help me? What problem do I have except the fact that I've been kidnapped by the two of you and the whole State Police might be searching for a stray lunatic?"
"What about you shifting through universes? Isn't that a problem?"
"How do you know? I don't remember having told you about it."
"You were talking while you were sedated. I've asked a few questions and you answered them without hesitation. That's how I got to know about it."
"I shouldn't have trusted you."
"You didn't. Have you already forgotten that you were abducted and that the whole State Police might be searching for you? The only place you're safe at the moment is with us. As soon as they find you you'll end up in a loony bin. Do you want that?"
"Of course not. But how can I be sure that I can trust you?"
"We'll go an see Rachel. Maybe she can tell us what's really happening and maybe she knows a way for you to return to your real universe."
"This isn't a real universe? I thought you abducted me from Dr. Greene?"
"Of course we did. For you everything is as real as it can be. And so it is for us. Maybe you'll know more when you have met with your friends from the mailing list."
"I already – what do you mean?"
"What do YOU mean? You said you arranged a meeting with a few girls from your mailing list. Don't you want to meet with them anymore? "
"I do but you said you wanted to discuss this topic with me because you don't trust them. What's wrong?"
"What place did you say you wanted to meet?"
"In - good question. I don't know. Tomorrow in the afternoon. No definite time and no definite place. But it seemed right anyway. To tell you the truth I already met them – but in another universe. Not every meeting was pleasant so to say. Myra worked with Lyle and Parker seemed to be a completely different person. I have no idea how to explain it to you."
"I think I understand what you mean. She can be absolutely cute if she chooses to be."
"No, that's not what I mean. She was a completely different person and I seem to be living with her in her house in Blue Cove. She says her name is Michelle Catherine Parker and she's a psychiatrist. That's not the Miss Parker I know and not the Miss Parker you know. That's the Parker from my dreams."
"She sounds nice. Like I always imagined her. But she'll never be that way. You need to get changed. There are clothes in the bag next to you."
"Changing inside the car while we are driving and you are looking at me? No way. We have to stop."
"We can't stop, Kyla. Remember the wanted add? It probably describes you the way you are dressed right now and that's why we need to change your looks. Do you like your hair?"
"My hair? Of course I do. What about it?"
"It needs to be cut."
"Never. Better think of something better. Now look away while I get changed."
She took the clothes from the bag. It was a long skirt and a blue sweater. She hated skirts and she hated that kind of blue.
"Anything else I need to know about my change of personality while we are in Chicago? Do I get a new name or some strange things like that?"
"Yes," Jarod sighed, "Your name is Gwendolyn Lewellyn. And I'm afraid to tell you that there are more things you need to know. You have to change completely. I suspected you wouldn't like to cut your hair so there's a wig in the bag on the front seat. I know you love your blond curls but I'm afraid they have to change to brown. And Kyla - you'll have to use a wheelchair."
"You're kidding, are you? A wig, a new style, a new name and a wheelchair. I hope nobody ever finds out that this person is me. Why do you call me Kyla? I thought my new name was Gwen? Who's the one who has to get used to changes?"
"Don't get nasty, Gwen," Kira said from the driver's seat and smiled into the rear view mirror, "You're not the only one who's in danger right now. We are as well. I'm the only one who's not on a most wanted list so far. But I guess that's subject to change in the not so distant future. Please be patient. We'll do everything in our power to help you but you need to play along as well. If you want to play ice queen that's fine but please save that for another time. You know you need our help and we know it as well. Maybe Rachel knows what to do and you'll find back into your real world soon. You might remember all this only as a dream but for us it's real. This is our real life and nothing can change this. For you it can change. Remember that."
"I'm sorry but everything is so confusing. I'm getting angry with myself and that's what happens then. I didn't mean to be rude. I'm just trying to figure out what's going to happen if everything goes wrong or if anything could go wrong."
"Get dressed we'll discuss this later. You'll have to be finished as soon as we enter the inner city. It looks funny if someone gets changed in a car when everyone can watch you."
"I'm hurrying. Could you help me please? I have no idea how to put on a wig."
They reached the inner city in no time but Kyla / Gwen was ready. The only thing she couldn't get accustomed to was the idea of a wheelchair. But Jarod assured her that it wouldn't be too hard to learn.
"Just pretend you can't move your body. I will push you along," he grinned.
"I don't think it's going to be fun but if it's going to safe me from the loony-bin I'll play along as asked. I only hope there are no mirrors in the halls. I don't want to know how I look."
"You look fine and I love you with those brown curls."
"How long do I have to play this role?"
"I don't know. We'll meet with Rachel later the evening in a bar on North Fairbanks Court called Timothy O'Toole's. It's a nice place. The only problems are the stairs at the entrance. I hope I can carry you downstairs. I hope you can play that role convincingly."
"I've always been good at acting. I think I can manage that. As long as you don't start laughing or break down when you're trying to lift me up we should be just fine."
They reached the hotel and stopped in front of the main entrance. There was a parking place reserved for disabled people and since she belonged to that group now they had a perfect parking place right in front of the hotel doors. She had always hated searching for a parking place. Jarod pulled a wheelchair out of the trunk and lifted her out of the car like she was a doll. She didn't say a word and didn't move a muscle. She kept her eyes down and tried not to look at anyone around. She knew people were staring at her. They always were when a young girl was sitting in a wheelchair – she had been no exception until today. Now that she was the person who got stared at she knew how it felt and promised herself not to do it again when she was back in her real world.
Room 1408 on the 14th floor with a wonderful view on the lake. She was deep in her thoughts when Kira closed the door behind them.
"You can get out of your wheelchair, we're in a safe zone right now."
"No. I'm just getting used to it. Disabled people don't have the chance to have break from their illness and I don't deserve it. The main reason is that I will never get used to it and it's so hard not to move. I don't think I can do it tonight if I get out of that chair right now."
"I'm not happy with it but we can do something about it. And I don't think you'll like it."
"Don't say you want to sedate me again."
"How do you know?"
"I just read a horror book that had something like that in it. They sedated a woman so she couldn't move anymore and she had to watch how they killed her. A horrible thing."
"I wouldn't kill you," Kira said. "I would simply anaesthetize your lower body."
"You? Why you?"
"I'm a doctor. Why not me?"
"Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. I didn't know. What do you mean with my lower body?"
"Jarod said you are not supposed to move your arms. So we have to deaden at least one of your arms and everything else that's not vital."
"NOT VITAL?"
"I can't simply anaesthetize your whole body. That would mean you'd need artificial life support. You have to be able to breathe on your own and you heart has to keep beating and of course you need to speak. Only in a low voice but you need to tell Rachel everything you know."
"Why isn't she coming to our room? I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of being helpless."
"I can understand that perfectly but Rachel wasn't very happy with meeting with us anyway and I don't want to push her any further into my criminal life," Jarod said and smiled a sad smile. "You know that it's not very good for a police profiler to be seen while helping a small group of criminals."
"That's exactly what I've been thinking. We'd be in public if we met at O'Toole's. Who would know she's in our room? The Holiday Inn is a huge complex. If she goes in through the front door who will know she's going to meet us here?"
"OK, you've won this round," Jarod admitted, "But I haven't been completely true with you. We are going to meet more than one profiler. Samantha Waters is coming as well and out room is too small for all of us. It is a 4 bed room but not suitable as a conference room even though it has this wonderful bench right in front of the windows."
"Why can't we meet at a restaurant?"
"Restaurant's are mostly under camera surveillance. I doubt that O'Toole's is. It's called a Public House. Low ceiling, TVs and music. I had hoped it would be the perfect place for us."
"I don't think so. Everyone would remember a young girl in a wheelchair if someone would start to ask questions."
"Do they ask about a brow-haired girl in wheelchair? No. They're asking about a sportive young woman with blond curls. Not much resemblance, right? That's why I'd prefer Kira to anaesthetize you. It wouldn't raise any suspicion if something unexpected happened."
"Unexpected like what? You stumble and fall down the stairs with me? No thanks. You could at least find a place without stairs."
"Like what? The Hardrock Café? The Rainforest Café? Or Starbucks? McDonalds? Kyla, please be reasonable. I don't mean to do any harm to you. I just want you to find out the truth."
"One thing, Jarod. I had an appointment with Dr. Greene at 2 p.m. I think I was with him about half an hour. He sedated me and called an ambulance to get me to the loony bin. But when you carried me out of the building it was already getting dark. I was awake for about an hour and then I fell unconscious for nearly eight hours you said. Now it's already evening. There are a few hours missing, aren't there? Can you please explain that to me?"
"Uh - no. I don't even know what you're talking about. We crossed over into another time zone if that's what you mean."
"No. That's only one hour. I was talking more about 12 hours give or take a few."
"I can't. But you should get some sleep. You need to be fully rested before Kira can start with anaesthetising you. And don't protest that you have been unconscious for eight hours. That's nothing compared to a good sleep in a real bed. At least two or three hours. Please."
"Alright. What are you doing so long?"
"We'll go into the bathroom, make ourselves some coffee and discuss our current situation."
"What?"
"There's a coffee machine in the bathroom and enough room for the two of us. Don't worry we'll be fine in there. Get some sleep. I'm sure you need it."
Kyla nodded reluctantly. She climbed out of the wheelchair and let herself fall onto the bed. She didn't even realize that Kira was leaning against the wall smiling while Jarod covered her with a blanket. They went inside the bathroom and closed the door behind them. They'd never held a conference in the bathroom but it was quite comfortable in there.
Chapters 11 - 15 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 11 - 15

"Kyla? Can you hear me? No, you can't," Dax sighed and laid Kyla's unconscious body down onto the sofa. She gently slapped her face. "I shouldn't have said that. It's to early. Kyla, come on. Open your eyes."
"Dax? Is that you? Where am I?"
"Deep Space Nine. Your quarters. Where have you just been? What happened?"
"Back on Earth. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious. How much time has passed in that universe?"
"You are really Terry Farrell. I was back in the 21st century with a woman that looked like Nana Visitor. Her name was Kira and there was Jarod."
"How much time, Kyla?"
"About 2 hours. How much time passed here?"
"Only two or three minutes. You passed out when I told you who I really am. It's the same."
"What's the same?"
"Every time I passed out or fell asleep I changed universes."
"You're speaking in the past. What happened?"
"I have found a way to return to my normal time and self by getting killed in each of the universes I end up in. Deep Space Nine is the last one that's left. It isn't easy to get killed when you want to be. Killing yourself isn't easy and asking someone to do the job isn't so funny either. I took quite a long time to narrow the universes down to two. Now that it's only one I think I can finally live with it. I have been Dax for a long time and I'm feeling comfortable here. I don't see any reason to return to my own time."
"I do, Ms Farrell. In my time you are unconscious. You had a car accident and have been in a coma ever since. You should find a way out of here. Do you think that's what happened to me as well?"
"Call me Jadzia. Nobody would understand why you'd call me Ms Farrell. What's the last thing you remember from your real world?"
"A psychiatrist. My mom sent me to see one because I had a mental problem like she put it."
"A mental problem? You don't look like that."
"She said I couldn't discern reality from fiction and right now I feel exactly like that. I have no idea what's real and what isn't."
"For you everything is real and for those in the universes it's real as well. Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure. Whatever's on your mind."
"Have you been back in your own reality during all this shifting?"
"I don't know. There are some moments when I think I'm back. I hear someone call my name and when I open my eyes there's bright light and someone keep's saying that I'm slowly coming back. I have no idea what all this means but I think that this could be the real world."
"It's good to hear that. I've been experiencing exactly the same thing over and over again. Have you ever seen someone or just the bright lights?"
"Only the lights. Can I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"In different universes I have heard people say that I was in a state of flux. Do you know what that means?"
"No but I think that this is a sign of your shifting between the universes. I haven't heard it until you came but I think it's because this is the only science fiction universe I'm in. I kept shifting between the movies and series I have been playing in."
"Don't you ever want to go back to the real world? A lot of people would be very glad to see you up and running again."
"I have no idea how to get killed. You have to think of the symbiont."
"I thought you're Terry Farrell? She has no symbiont – it's only Jadzia."
"What do you think Julian Bashir would say when I walked into sickbay and asked him to have a look at my symbiont and it suddenly isn't there anymore? That would raise some suspicion, wouldn't it?"
"What about a simple tricorder? Have you ever tried that? It should provide you with the answer you seek. Do you know what happened to the universes once you left them? Do they just collapse or do they keep existing?"
"That's a good question and I've been asking myself over and over. I don't know. Are you fit for a hot chocolate right now? What do you think about something to eat as well? I'm starving."
Kyla only nodded and slowly got up. She walked around the room and looked at everything that was supposed to be hers. It seemed a little familiar. There were things that she had in her real home as well: The red cushions, the frame with Miss Parker's photo, the nightgown was the same and even the book on the nightstand was exactly the same including the book sign. Definitely her room but nevertheless the room of a stranger. She wasn't feeling like home in here. The smell of French fries started to fill the room and she turned towards Dax who was grinning broadly.
"Do you still want a hot chocolate or something that's more 21st century like?"
"Water, cold," she said when she stood in front of the replicator and a glass appeared. It still seemed like a miracle but this was the technology they used in this century. She sat down at the table with Dax.
"It's been quite a long time since I had someone eat fries with me. And it's great to talk to someone from one's own time. Somehow I miss my life there."
"So why don't you go back? Find a way to get killed and you're free to go home."
"Easier said than done. Have you ever tried? And I like it here. And now that you're here as well I have at least someone to talk to and who knows what it's like it seems even more bearable."
"You're saying that it's bearable. So it means you're not happy here. I'm planning on going back to my own world as soon as I can. And there are more ways in shifting universes than just falling asleep or unconscious. I walked through the holodeck doors and was in another universe and even daydreaming brought me to another world. What if just wishing myself back does the trick? Or clapping my heels twice and saying 'There's no place like home' brings me back. There are so many ways we can explore. Can you come with me to my other universes?"
"I don't know. I never tried. Have you met other people like us?"
"Yes I have. There are a few from my mailing list I know of so far. Why do you care about all this? I thought you were comfortable in this universe."
"I am but I can't remember much about a car accident and I wonder how life is going back in the normal world. I miss certain people and I want to be back home. How many universes do you have to kill before you can get back?"
"Including DS9 there are five so far. I hope there won't be any more."
"Remember that you have to find a different way to get killed in each universe. Otherwise it won't work. You can't get killed in a car crash twice or commit suicide two times. Everything works only once. I tried. Believe me. And now forget everything about DS9. I think it's time for you to leave and get killed in the other universes. You're at the beginning of your journey. There are a lot of universes you have to go through. There will be a few more you haven't been to so far. I will find a way home some day."
"Dax? What's this all about? What are you talking about?"
Dax pulled a hypo spray from her pocket and pushed it against Kyla's neck. Something was completely wrong. She felt her heartbeat going slow and breathing was getting harder.
"Getting murdered isn't an opportunity anymore. I'm sorry about that. That's the only way I can help you."
Kyla found herself sliding from the seat down to the floor. Dax caught her before she hit the floor. She held her in her arms while tears were streaming down Kyla's face. She was dying. Dying in Dax' arms. But it was wrong. So wrong. She wasn't supposed to die, was she? She was far too young. Dax had been talking about that. That it wasn't easy to get killed or kill yourself. She finally understood what that meant. There would be doubts, fears but still the urgency to get out of the dream world. She couldn't breath anymore. Dax was just looking down on her.
"I'm sorry, honey. It was the only way," was the last thing Kyla heard her say before her heart stopped beating and she lost consciousness. For Kyla the universe stopped existing but it kept existing for Terry Farrell a long time after.

***

She slowly opened her eyes. It was dark inside the room and cold. She was back in the Centre. Her head felt like exploding. What had happened in this universe? She had found herself in Lyle's retraining facility and she had been drugged. Now what? She remembered everything about what Dax had said. She was dead. She wouldn't return to that universe again. But now she understood what Dax had wanted to say. It wasn't easy just to die. You can't lie down and wish to die. You had to actually do something and that was hard. Kyla loved her life and she had no intention of committing suicide in real life. And it was hard to do it in a dream as well. But no matter what happened she had to get out of here. She knew that the Centre had cameras everywhere and she doubted that this room was an exception. She just stayed where she was and stared at the ceiling trying to figure out a way to get of that cell. What would Jarod do? And what had happened to Miss Parker? Should she simply play along until she was alone with Miss Parker? Did she have a chance to get out of here all on her own? she had been accused of working with Jarod. Would he come to rescue them? She was interrupted in her thoughts when the door opened and Myra entered the room.
"Well, see who's back. Get up and follow me. And don't even think of planning an escape. You have no chance to get out of here alive."
Somehow she wasn't afraid of dying. She didn't like this universe. The only thing she was concerned about was Miss Parker. If she got killed the universe ended for her but Myra still existed and enjoyed her role as the bad guy what left Miss Parker at her mercy. She would never come back – she wouldn't have to worry about that. But getting shot didn't seem a desirable death – but a suiting death for a traitor. She followed Myra through the corridors. The drugs were still affecting her. She had trouble controlling her feet and kept stumbling until Myra ordered another employee to help her. He was about 6 feet tall with light brown hair and a muscular body. He smiled shyly at her. Somehow he didn't fit in there but he was there and helping her. She was led into a room that looked a little familiar. Parker was there as well but she seemed not to notice her or else she pretended not to. It was eerily quiet inside the room even though there were six people in it: Lyle, Myra, Miss Parker, two employees of the Centre and herself. She looked at all of them and tried to focus her thoughts on something.
She didn't manage to concentrate because the drugs were still affecting her. She was pushed down onto a chair. She looked around the room and tried to take everything in that seemed to provide any clue of where she was exactly. Maybe they'd leave her here with Miss Parker. Maybe Jarod would come and rescue her. Maybe Angelo would come to her rescue or she would die and leave all this behind. The last option sounded so easy. And so final. Lyle and Myra were talking about her and Miss Parker as if they weren't there. The young man who had come to her help in the corridor was still standing behind her his hand still resting on her shoulder. Something was wrong about him but she couldn't put a finger on it. There was something familiar in his behaviour but where had she seen him before?
"We'll leave the three of you alone right now. Enjoy your time, Kyla."
Lyle, Myra and one of the sweepers left the room. She was left in the room with Miss Parker and "her" sweeper. She had no idea what was going to happen but if Miss Parker's retraining had been successful it wouldn't be fun. If it hadn't been she wouldn't know because of the sweeper. She wouldn't tell her the truth but act as if she was completely under Lyle's control.
"Scott, would you please switch those cameras off? Just use the loop Jarod created for this room."
"Yes, Miss Parker."
"Kyla, are you alright? Can you walk?"
"Am I alright? I think so. Can I walk? No. At least not a long distance. My knees are all wobbly and I can barely keep my balance. What did they do to me? And how can I be sure you're the one you're pretending to be?"
"A Parker can't be broken. Not in the way they want. I've arranged everything. Jarod's getting the three of us outside. By the way, his name's Scott. He's one of us. He'll be coming with us on a trip into freedom."
"That doesn't sound like the Miss Parker I know."
"Would I talk about Jarod freeing us from here? Would I ask Scott to bypass the security cameras? Would we be talking about this at all? Believe me this is real. And we have to hurry. Lyle will be back in less than twenty minutes. I want to be far away when he finds out we've resisted him and his little evil plan of taking over the Centre. Scott, are you finished?"
"Yes, Ma'am."
"Can you carry her? We have to get out of here as soon as possible. I hope Jarod has chosen an easy way out of here. I don't want to be caught."
"Do you have a backup plan? What if we are caught?"
"I have backup plan," Scott interrupted, "Don't worry about anything. We'll get out of here without anybody noticing we've left until it's too late. Now go."
He pushed Parker through the door and carried Kyla through the corridors like she was a little child. Nobody was around – the building seemed vacated. They went upstairs and downstairs and through corridors and upstairs again until Kyla lost all sense of direction. Finally they stood in front of a door and Scott told her to stand on her own feet. She leaned against the wall and tried to steady herself. Scott drew a pistol from under his jacket and pointed it towards Parker.
"Open the door and walk outside. Slowly. I don't know what's out there, Kyla, you follow her close behind."
"What's going on?" Kyla whispered and felt Parker's arm around her waist.
"I hope that this is part of his plan or else we're in trouble. How are you?"
"I'm nervous. What if this was a trap?"
"If this was really a trap we have a problem. I don't have a backup plan and I have no idea where Jarod is or where we are. Scott has led us through corridors I haven't been to before. I hope he's really one of us."
She slowly opened the door and stepped outside. Somehow she had anticipated a sweeper team to wait for them outside but there was only a car waiting for them.
"Get in there," Scott said and put the gun back into its holster. He sat down on the driver's seat and they drove off. Alarms started to go off as they reached the street and drove away from the Centre. Kyla and Miss Parker still weren't sure if Scott was on their side or not. That remained to be seen. He didn't talk or look at them. He just drove the car.
"You try to sleep, Kyla. The drugs need to wear off. I hope we're save now. Scott, how long until we're at the place we want to go?"
"About 20 minutes to the airport. We'll catch a plane from there. Keep the girl awake if possible."
"You heard him, Kyla. You have to stay awake. Tell me what they did to you after I left the laboratory and who was that woman who was working with Lyle?"
"That was Myra True. She's a member of the pretendfic mailing list and I always thought she was nice. I never knew she –"
"Wait a second. What is a pretendfic mailing list?"
"I guess I have to tell you the whole story. That's going to take a while. I hope you're not easily bored. Let's start from the very beginning…"

When they arrived at the airport Kyla was finished with her version of the story but she doubted that Miss Parker and Scott believed her anyway. She had left the part about dying from her telling but she suspected that they knew anyway. She had told them that Dax had killed her and that she had regained consciousness in this universe. She hadn't told them that there was another universe with Jarod and another one with Miss Parker as a psychiatrist. She hadn't even told them that they were only characters in a TV series.
"We have to leave the car and walk the last quarter of a mile. Can you manage that, Kyla?"
"I think so. Do you believe what I said?"
"It sounds odd but I can't prove that you're not telling the truth. We have to believe you. Once we're inside the terminal building we have to search for terminal 3 gate 8. Jarod will be waiting for us. And we have to be quick. I don't know if the Centre knows we're here but if they know – you can imagine what they'll be doing to us. Put on the jackets that are in the trunk. Oh and Kyla, put that pillow under your sweater. You'll look pregnant and that would explain your unsteady walking. Miss Parker, just put on those glasses. OK, everyone out of the car. I'll carry the suitcases, Miss Parker, you'll have to help Kyla."
Before they could utter a word he was marching away with the suitcases and all they could do was follow him towards the terminal.
"He left the keys in the car. Why?"
"Someone's going to pick up the car. Maybe the sweepers will follow that car and that'll lead them on a false trail and give us a head start. I don't know everything, Kyla. I only hope they don't find us. You're doing fine. Only a few more meters and we're inside the building. Are you feeling sick? You're quite pale."
Kyla only nodded and concentrated on moving her feet. If she failed to reach their terminal they would find them. She didn't want to be found. Parker's grip around her waist tightened and Kyla was grateful for her help.
"Put your arm around my shoulders. We'll get you there in one piece. When we're there you can sit down. I'm sure you'll be fine as soon as Lyle's drugs have lost their effect. Just stay with me for a few more minutes, promise? Scott, slow down. If we have to keep your pace she'll collapse any second. How far do we have to go?"
"You're almost there," a familiar voice said from behind. Parker turned her head and faced Jarod. "Don't go through those halls. Just follow me. There are sweepers in there. A plane is waiting for us just around the corner. Can you manage a few more meters, Kyla?"
"I hope so." She hated her voice. It sounded so weak. She had always wanted to be tough and admitting her weakness was something she despised. She dragged herself along.
"Where's Scott?" Parker asked suddenly.
"He went another way. If they follow him they're preoccupied if they don't we'll meet him at the plane. Kyla, are you still with us?"
"Not much longer but I'll try," she whispered and looked at the small plane in the distance. She knew she wouldn't make it. It was too far. Darkness was creeping up all around her and she knew that feeling in her stomach. It wasn't the first time that she fainted and it wouldn't be the last. It was always the same. The world was in slow motion, everything was growing so eerily silent. She saw the ground moving up towards her, saw Parker's mouth moving as she called for Jarod's help and felt Jarod's strong arms catch her before darkness surrounded her completely.

***

Someone gently slapped her face. Somehow she was afraid to open her eyes so she kept them closed.
"I know you're awake. Just open your eyes and tell me who you are."
She opened her eyes and looked up at Miss Parker. Not the Parker from the universe where she had just been but Michelle Catherine Parker. She was back in the universe where she had met Krystal and KB.
"What happened? Where are the girls?"
"You simply stopped talking and kept staring at the wall. The girls just said they'd understand and disappeared and then you collapsed. What do they understand? I understand nothing. What have they done to you at school? Come on, I'm your friend. You can tell me what happened."
"You wouldn't understand. I don't understand it either," she sobbed. She had turned into such a fool. She was crying all the time and she couldn't even tell why. Why was she so afraid of telling Miss Parker what was wrong? What was she calling her anyway? Miss Parker? Michelle?
"Can I ask you something?"
"Sure, whatever's on your mind."
"Promise not to be angry."
"Never but tell me what happened."
"First you tell me everything about me – you – us."
"What?"
"Please."
"You really don't remember. School must have been terrible, darling. OK. You're Kyla Parker, I am Michelle Catherine Parker. I am your aunt and we've been living in this house together ever since that terrible accident."
"What accident?"
"Kyla, this isn't one of our psychiatrist sessions, is it?"
"No, I don't think so. But I really don't remember anything. You tell me everything about us and then I'll tell you my story. I'm sure you won't like it but it needs to be told. What accident?"
"The car crash that killed your whole family. You were the only one who survived. You were severely injured and had to spend several months in hospital but you survived. You are too young to live on your own in a large house so we decided you moved in with me. Your parent's house is in White Bear Lake and is still waiting for you. A nice family is living there until you are old enough to live there with your own family. Is that enough? You really don't remember anything?"
"No. Now I'll tell you my story. Maybe this will be one of those psychiatrist sessions you talked about."
Once more Kyla told her story. The same version she had told to Miss Parker in the other universe. She left certain things out and added a few things she hadn't told the other Miss Parker. Michelle was a psychiatrist after all. Maybe she'd understand.
"You look terrible. Even though your story sounds like a complete fantasy to me I'm about to believe it. I'll prepare you something to eat and then we'll talk about that later. Can I leave you alone for a while?"
"I think so. I promise I won't run away."
"Don't you dare," Parker smiled, "At least your sense of humour is back online."
"Do you have a photo album for me? I need to see some pictures of my past."
"I don't like the way you're talking about the past, darling. It sounds like you don't remember anything."
"I don't, really."
"Alright. Take this one – it's the newest," she said and reached for a book from the shelf. "That should bring back your memories. We updated the photos only last week."
Kyla wondered why Parker was speaking more like Seven of Nine from Voyager but didn't say a word and took the book from Parker's hands. It still seemed wrong. There was a Starfleet insignia on front of it but she had no idea if that was real or just her imagination. Or did Parker like Star Trek? Good question but maybe she should save that for later. She had already asked too many questions. She knew that Parker didn't believe her at all but what choice did she have? She had no memories of her life before she had entered any of the worlds – just memories of the world she came from. The girl Kyla Parker who had been sent to see a psychiatrist. She was missing something but she had no clue what that could be. She couldn't even imagine what had happened. She was deep in her thoughts and just stared at the pictures until Parker came back from the kitchen with a plated filled with scrambled eggs, bacon and toast.
"I'm sorry I can't prepare you a real meal but that's all I could find in the fridge. I hope you like it anyway."
"Of course I do. I don't know why but I'm really hungry."
"When you're finished I want you to go to sleep. I'd even give you a mild sedative if I had to."
"No more drugs. I've had enough of that already."
"What?"
*Oh no!! I haven't told her about that universe because of the other Miss Parker.* "The psychiatrist I told you about sedated me. I don't want to be forced to sleep. I need time to think."
"But you have to promise you'll get some sleep later the day. Go to bed early."
"I promise," Kyla sighed. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep at all. She would change over into another universe and would get no sleep at all. But she was surprised to find that she wasn't tired at all. It had to be a bad dream. A nightmare. An illusion. Or time was different in this universe. She ate her scrambled eggs without saying one word. She felt Parker's eyes resting on her but didn't dare to look her into the eyes. It was so different. When dreaming about all this it had been easy. Now she was somehow afraid of Parker. She was wonderful but not very much the Miss Parker from the TV series. She wished she would look away and give her the chance to look at her.
"Let's go upstairs, honey. I'll help you up."
"I'm fine. I can walk by myself."
"You said so the last time you tried to stand up - you broke down. Don't worry. I need to get upstairs anyway."
Kyla sighed and slowly got up. She was feeling just fine but Parker seemed to have a different opinion. She took her by the arm and led her upstairs. The room which was supposed to be hers looked a lot like her room in her real home. Kyla sat down on the bed and Parker kissed her on the forehead.
"Get some sleep, honey."
She wasn't comfortable with the way Parker treated her. When she was alone in the room she got up and looked out of the window. It looked like her real home. At least from one window. From the other she could see the lawn, Parker's car and the neighbouring houses. A quite normal neighbourhood but it still was wrong. She couldn't stand being with Miss Parker any longer. She laid down on the bed and closed her eyes and hoped to wake up in a universe without Miss Parker.

***

"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me." Her mother's voice. She heard other voices as well but everything seemed so far away. She wanted to open her eyes to see what was going on but her eyelids seemed to weigh tons. Her mother was talking to someone but the voices were fading. The light she saw through her closed eyelids was getting darker until she was in complete darkness and silence.



"Kyla? Are you alright?" she heard Miss Parker's voice whispering, "You've been screaming."
Kyla opened her eyes and looked at Michelle Parker. It was dark inside her room. She was afraid of the darkness. She had been somewhere where it had been cold, dark and silent. Had she screamed? Parker's warm hand caressed her cheek.
"Do you want me to stay with you for a while?"
"Just leave the lights on. I'll be fine."
"What happened?"
"I don't know," Kyla sighed. Parker got up and switched on the light on the nightstand then she sat down on the edge of the bed again.
"Do you want to talk about it? You know that it's my job to listen and help you understand."
"I don't need to understand things when I don't know what's going on. The last thing I remember is going to bed and then I heard my mother's voice telling me to open my eyes and then there was complete darkness and silence. What's the time?"
"9 p.m. I've been sitting on the porch when I heard you screaming. Do you want to come outside with me for a while? Maybe things get a little clearer outside."
Kyla nodded and got out of the bed. She shivered a little. She didn't know if it was from the cool air or from the memories that were still inside her head. Parker handed her a sweater. Kyla smiled shyly and followed Parker downstairs and outside onto the porch.
"Do you want something to drink? A hot chocolate maybe? You know, chocolate is good for the soul," she grinned and went inside without waiting for Kyla's answer. Kyla looked around. It looked exactly like her real home. The garden, the forest. She heard the same sounds and it smelled the same. Maybe something like a waking coma and hallucinations? While Parker was inside the phone rang. When she came outside she held the hot chocolate in one hand and the phone in the other.
"It's for you. It's Krystal."
"Hello?"
"Hi there, it's Krystal. In what universe are you?"
"Back in the one we met."
"Well – I don't know how but I'm in another universe and I didn't mean to call you but I ended up with you. How are you?"
"Still a little dizzy but fine."
Parker didn't say anything but went inside.
"Can you talk?"
"Parker just went inside. I'm a little uncomfortable with her. I don't know why but she's not like the Miss Parker I know. She's cute but not really a Parker."
"I can understand that perfectly," Krystal grinned, "I wasn't comfortable around her either."
"Krystal, I think I have found a way to return home."
"How?"
"I met Terry Farrell and she told me how to do it."
"Terry Farrell? The actress who plays Dax? The one who had a car accident and has been in a coma since?"
"Exactly. She told me that she had been in different universes for a long time. Not in her favourite TV series but in all the movies and series she had a role. She said that if you find a way to get killed you won't return to the universe again. But you have to find a different way of dying in each universe or otherwise it won't work. I don't know if the latter is true but I haven't been to the Deep Space Nine universe again."
"You got killed?"
"She killed me."
"Pardon me?"
"Terry Farrell killed me with something from a hypo spray. She said it would be best for me. I'm trying to find a way out of here, Krystal, and if it means getting killed I'll get killed in every universe."
"Suicidal tendencies, huh?"
"I can commit suicide only in one universe. It wouldn't work in the other universes. It would end as attempted suicide and I'd find myself in a closed psychiatry where there's no way of getting myself killed. If you see the others can you tell them what I found out? I don't know if they want to get home as badly as I do but it seems plausible to me."
"OK, I'll tell those I see. Hope to see you someday soon. Take care of yourself. Bye Kyla."
"Bye Krystal."
As soon as she was finished Parker came back outside. She was still holding the mug for Kyla. She took the telephone from Kyla's hand and gave her the mug. Then she sat down and mentioned Kyla to do the same.
"How is Krystal? Is everything alright?"
"Yes, she's fine. She just told me some things I needed to know about sports carnival at school tomorrow."
"You won't be going to school tomorrow."
"Why not? There are no classes tomorrow and I'm sure it will be fun."
"You're staying home and in bed. There will be another sports carnival next year. Tomorrow's my free day and I make sure you are home. Don't pout. I'm just concerned about your well-being."
Kyla didn't say anything just leaned back in her chair and drank her chocolate. She had to find a way to get out of Parker's house. Maybe that would bring her to another world. She desperately wanted to get away from here. But how should she die in a universe like that where a caring Miss Parker was watching her every step? When she had looked out of her rooms' window it hat looked like home. Maybe it was like home and the lake really wasn't far. Maybe she could go swimming and simply drown? She would have to plan her own death and hope that Miss Parker wasn't a trained lifesaver. It was worth a try but that would have to wait until the next day and the next time she'd end up in this universe. Now it was time for her to go to bed and try to sleep or at least go to another universe. She hoped that there wouldn't be any more universes like Terry Farrell had said. She had trouble remembering the details from 5 universes what if there were more to come? She hoped that those other universes would turn up only when others had ended.
Parker looked at her and smiled. Had she just missed a part of the conversation.
"Sorry, what did you just say?"
"Nothing, I was simply looking at you and trying to find out what's going on in your head."
"I was thinking about nothing in particular. I'm tired. I'll go to bed if you don't mind."
"Have a good night sleep. That will help you to get better. Good night, honey."
"Good night."
She closed the door behind her and let out a sigh of relief. At least she was away from her for a while. Should she just sneak out of the front door and run away or simply go to sleep and hope that she wouldn't wake up in this universe any time soon? She decided to go to bed even though she wasn't tired. There was only one way to prove that the path in the garden was leading to the lake but she didn't want to go at night. She was afraid of being alone in the dark and at home there were owls and sometimes bears so she didn't want to be out there all on her own. That would have to wait until there was daylight outside and she had convinced Miss Parker to let her go to the lake or come with her. She closed and locked the door of her room and laid down on the bed. She wanted to be alone. The lamp on the nightstand was still on. She stared at the ceiling and was somehow afraid of closing her eyes. What if something happened during the night? What if the house was on fire and nobody could get inside to rescue her? She got up and unlocked the door again. She curled up on her bed and closed her eyes. She fell asleep immediately.

***

"Please state the nature of the medical emergency."
Kyla knew that voice. That was the Doctor aboard Voyager. To be exact that was the voice of the Emergency Medical Hologram installed on star ships in the time the Voyager was build. She tried to open her eyes but they seemed to be glued shut. She heard the beeping of the tricorder and other medical instruments. She wondered what had happened and who she was in this new universe. A crewman? Once more an ensign? Whatever it was – it had to wait until she was able to open her eyes again and look around to see what was going on around her. She felt a hand on her shoulder and heard Harry Kim's voice.
"Will she be alright?"
"I'm sure she will be, Ensign. Where have you been?"
"We have been on the holodeck."
"I know that you have been on the holodeck. What program have you been running?"
"Rock climbing at the shores of Risa. The safety protocols were on. This shouldn't have happened."
"She fell and nearly broke her neck," the Doctor stated, "I know that program. Where exactly have you been when the accident happened?"
"In the upper third of the climbing course. She was right behind me and suddenly she was gone."
Kyla didn't try to follow the conversation any longer. She had no idea why she had been on the holodeck with Harry Kim – she didn't even like character very much. And why rock climbing? She had never done that in the real world before let alone dream about doing it. She was afraid of heights as well as afraid of the dark. And now she knew why she had never wanted to do this kind of sport. She had nearly broken her neck even with the safety protocols on. They should have prevented her fall or at least prevent the impact on the ground.
"Can you wake her?" she heard Harry say and felt something cold at her neck. Suddenly her eyelids weren’t heavy anymore and she could open her eyes easily. Before she could utter a word the Doc told her not to move and pressed a hypospray to her neck. Now she couldn't move even if she wanted to.
"You've had an accident on the holodeck," the Doctor told her, "And there are a few broken bones in your body that need to be treated. I have injected you a sedative so you can't move and make your injuries worse. How do you feel anyway?"
"Where am I?"
Harry looked pale. The sickbay doors opened and Captain Janeway entered the room. She put her hand on Harry's shoulder and looked at the Doctor.
"What happened?" she demanded to know and both Harry and the Doctor started to speak at the same time. She lifted her hands and made both men stop speaking. "Harry, what happened on the holodeck? Ensign Parker, you're awake. How are you?"
"I think I'm alright."
"No she's not. She has suffered –"
"Doctor, I wanted to know from Harry what happened on the holodeck."
Harry told his story once more and Janeway looked expectantly at Kyla.
"What do you have to say to the whole incident?"
"To be true I don't remember anything that happened before I opened my eyes minutes ago in sickbay."
"That's enough, Captain. My patient needs rest. She's in no condition for a discussion. Everyone except Ensign Parker leaves sickbay immediately. I need to get started if she wants to be back on duty tomorrow. I think I know her by now."
Everyone left sickbay without complaining. Kyla wasn't comfortable being alone with the Doctor. When he thought nobody listened he started humming and Kyla had to smile. He wasn't that bad after all and he was a good Doctor. She still had no idea why she had been on the holodeck with Harry Kim or what the Doctor had wanted to say with his last comment.
"Doctor, is it normal, that I don't remember anything?"
"At least you remember that I'm a Doctor. So your way of asking wasn't correct. What do you remember?"
"I'm on Voyager. I'm Kyla Parker."
"Nothing else? That seems strange to me. Do you want to watch me perform the surgery?"
"No way. Can I leave?"
"At least you haven't lost your sense of humour," he said and pressed a hypospray against her neck. And off she was and on her way to another universe.
Chapters 16 - 20 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 16 - 20

"Dr. Crusher, she's conscious again. All the readings have returned to normal. It looks as if nothing has ever happened. Kyla, can you hear me?"
Kyla only nodded and tried to look around the room. Dr. Crusher came to stand beside her and smiled down on her. She checked the readings on a monitor over Kyla's head.
"It seems that everything's alright. The readings don't show anything unusual. If I hadn't seen you collapse with my own eyes I wouldn't believe that anything happened. If you feel fit you're free to go to your quarters. You're off duty for the next two days. I suggest you don't do something like sport. Just try to relax and get a lot of rest. The after effects of the things they've done to you during the abduction should wear off in the time until you have to be back on duty. Your memory should come back anytime soon. I'll look by your quarters when my shift's finished. Contact sickbay as soon as you have problems, will you?"
"Yes Doctor," Kyla said and slowly sat up. She tried to remember the way to her quarters when the sickbay doors closed behind her. She entered the next turbolift and asked the computer to bring her to her quarters. The doors opened again and she was in the corridor where she had been with Dr. Crusher what seemed to her ages ago. She remembered which door to take and entered her quarters. Two days of rest. She remembered what had happened on Voyager. What if she went to the holodeck and switched the safety protocols off? Even though Dr. Crusher had told her to stay away from sports she wanted to try. Then she remembered what had happened the last time she had entered the holodeck aboard the Enterprise and decided against going there. Maybe if she waited long enough she would fall asleep eventually. She sat down on the sofa and stared out of the view port. She was a simple ensign and had her quarters at the outer hull? Wasn't this a luxury reserved for higher ranking officers only? If this was all a dream then it didn't matter. If it were real, what definitely couldn't be, they – whoever they were – had changed the rules. She stared at the stars streaking by her window. A funny feeling spread in her stomach when she thought about the speed they must be travelling with. Many times the speed of light. In her own time it wasn't even possible to travel at simple light speed. She didn’t bother to spend more time with thinking about warp physics and simply enjoyed the view of the stars.

She turned around and wanted to go to the replicator. The room had changed. She looked at the view port. The stars were going into the other direction. She had changed universes again. But where was she now? The stars were going a lot slower and she had a different uniform. The quarters looked simple and somehow different than she had expected a room aboard a starship. It wasn't as familiar as the quarters aboard the Enterprise 1701 but she had seen it before. This was the Enterprise NX-01 – the first ship ever to bear the name Enterprise and the first warp-5-vessel from Earth. What was she doing aboard this ship? She decided to go to the replicator anyway when she remembered that replicators hadn't been invented yet. She had to be careful when talking to someone from the crew. She knew that they had encountered a space station that had been equipped with replicators but the technology hadn't been brought along when the space dock had been destroyed.
"Subcommander T'Pol to Ensign Parker," the speaker on the wall blared and Kyla nearly jumped. She wanted to hit her communicator and remembered that they hadn't been invented either. She went over to the communication panel on the wall and answered the call.
"Yes, Subcommander?"
"You are late. We have an appointment in the fitness room. Do you wish to resume the training or do you wish to quit?"
"I am really sorry. I'm already on my way. I couldn't find my shoes. I'll be with you in a minute."
She had no idea what kind of training T’Pol was referring to but not finding her shoes had been the only excuse that had come to her mind. She changed her uniform for the clothes that were lying on her bed and went outside. She was standing in the corridor like a lost lamb. She had watched the first 50 episodes or so but had no idea where to go. She found a turbolift and thought that her problems were over. And then she remembered that the computer wasn't reacting to voice commands and she had to operate the lift manually. When she had finally found out how to get to the fitness hall at least 10 minutes had passed. T’Pol looked annoyed even though Kyla assured her that she was sorry.
"I always told you that order is the first law. You have to get things organised. Not only your thoughts and movements but also the chaos in your quarters. Let us start with the exercises. I hope you remember what we have done the last time?"
"No, I forgot even though I tried to keep it in mind."
T’Pol sighed – what was very unusual for a Vulcan. She showed her a few movements that looked more like ballet than anything else. She was glad that she had had ballet classes back in the real world and she could follow the Subcommander easily.
"You have been practising. Your coordination has improved since the last training," T’Pol stated. Kyla didn't say anything just tried to concentrate on the movements. If this was some kind of Vulcan combat training there had to be a way to beat T’Pol. She wondered why she was always doing some kind of sports in every universe. In the real world she wasn't doing any sports activities at all. She didn't know what was happening but suddenly she was lying on her back and staring up at T’Pol.
"You haven't been concentrating. Don't let this happen in a fight. You would be dead by now."
She offered her a hand and helped Kyla up.
"We repeat this exercise. Not only concentrate on your movements but on mine as well. In combat I am your enemy and I'll kill you if you make the slightest mistake. It was your choice to begin this training. Have you changed your mind?"
"No, Subcommander, I haven't. I'll try to concentrate."
"Don't try to concentrate on something. Simply do it. We start this exercise slower this time. Focus on the attempt of beating me."
"Easier said than done," Kyla mumbled and started the exercise again. Four more times she found herself lying on her back and T’Pol standing over her. Each time she helped her up and they started all over again. The fifth time she managed to bring T’Pol down to the ground. She didn't know if it had been sheer luck, knowledge or if T’Pol had let her win. She helped the Subcommander up. Kyla was panting heavily and she felt as if she had just run 20 miles.
"Are you feeling alright?" T’Pol asked and Kyla nodded. "Do you wish to resume the training?"
"When and where?" Kyla simply asked.
"Tomorrow in the same room at 1600 hours. And be on time. I don't want to wait. Are you sure you are alright? You look quite pale. "
"I'm fine, really. I just need a hot shower and something nice to eat and I'll be my old self. Would you care to join me for dinner?"
"Thank you for inviting me but I have an appointment with the Captain."
"Sure. See you tomorrow then."
Kyla took her bag and went out of the fitness hall. She felt like breaking down. Every muscle in her body ached and all she wanted to do was sleep. A hot shower for half an hour and then a nice and warm bed. That was all she wanted to do. But she had to find the way back to her quarters. She leaned against the wall and tried to steady her breath when T’Pol exited the room.
"Do you want me to bring you to sickbay?"
"No. I just want to lie down my quarters," Kyla protested weakly.
"I will bring you to your quarters. Do not protest against that. It is an order. Your staying power needs to be improved. We will have to work on that as well. I have proposed to the Captain that I will lead a mission on the next habitable planet where all lower ranking officers will take part in a survival training."
"Like running through the desert? Or surviving in a polar region?"
"If you want to I can arrange it for you. I have thought more of rainforest regions. It has both high temperatures and high atmospheric moisture. These are your quarters. I suggest you are on time for duty tomorrow morning or I will have to report it to the Captain."
"Yes, sir. Thank you."
"You are welcome."
T’Pol watched Kyla step through the doors of her quarters and walked away. Kyla took off her clothes and went into the bathroom. The hot water was streaming down her body and soothing her aching muscles. She was hungry but she didn't want to go to the mess hall or whatever it was called aboard this ship. She switched off the water and wrapped herself in a towel. She wondered what they were doing with the dirty clothes aboard this ship but discarded the thought and simply threw the clothing onto her desk before she slipped into her nightgown and laid down on the bed. It had looked more comfortable than it actually was. But she didn't have time to think about it. She fell asleep immediately.

***

She felt a hand caressing her face. It was awfully dark and there seemed to be no noise at all. She tried to open her eyes to see where she was and who was caressing her cheeks but she couldn't. She couldn't even move a muscle. And suddenly there was light everywhere. Someone had opened her eyes and was waving a torch in front of her face. She wanted to look away, wanted to close her eyes, wanted the light to go away. But it was as if she was frozen and couldn't do anything on her own. Then the light was gone and all she saw were dancing black spots in the even blacker darkness surrounding her.

š›

"Kyla. You have to wake up. We have to get started. How do you feel?"
She slowly opened her eyes. Jarod was sitting on the edge of the bed and looked down on her.
"I feel like I have been run over by a truck. Get started with what?"
"We have held a council of war in the bathroom," Jarod grinned, "and we have come to the conclusion that it's enough to immobilise your legs. It's only one injection."
"What if something goes wrong?"
"That's what I said," Kira said from the door, " If something should indeed go wrong we have a problem. Not being able to move your legs is bad but not being able to use your arms is worse."
"So something can go wrong."
"Yes. But I hope this one in a thousand isn't going to be you. Would you mind?"
"Mind what?"
"We have to get started. Would you please sit down on the edge of the bed so I can reach your lower spine? The injection itself can hurt. I'm trying to be careful. But the needle itself is quite long." Kira took a syringe from a bag and showed it to Kyla. She tried hard not to panic. The needle itself was about 5 inch long and looked horrible. "I need to get the needle right into your spine that's why it's called a spinal needle. I need to –"
"Stop it. I don't want to know any more. It's enough. I hate needles no matter what size. This one's horrible. Get started so it's over soon."
"I can't get started yet. I need an intravenous bottle first."
"Another needle? You're kidding."
"Sorry, no. You need the –"
"Kira, you can leave it. That's alright. The sodium chloride is used to prevent a swelling that can have an impact on the muscles running down the spine. That doesn't concern us this time. We want to immobilise her legs for more than just one hour. If she's afraid of needles anyway lets not make it worse."
"Thanks, Jarod."
"No problem. Do you need any help, Kira?"
"Nope. I'm fine. OK, Kyla. Here we go."
She felt the prick of the needle. It wasn't as bad as she had thought. But it was an awful feeling to feel the needle make its way through the flesh and right inside the spinal marrow. There was a light pressure when Kira squeezed the liquid from the syringe into her body. Then she pulled the needle out again. Kyla felt like throwing up.
"I know how you must feel but you have to remain seating for a little longer. It's bleeding and I -"
"Sorry Kira to interrupt you once more but she looks like she's going to collapse any second. Let her lie face down on the bed."
"Thanks, Jarod," Kyla mumbled and nearly fell off the bed. Jarod caught her and helped her to lie down while Kira pressed a piece of cloth onto the bleeding wound.
"It is completely normal that you're not feeling all that good. Just relax if that's possible and tell me when you start to feel your legs going numb."
It didn't hurt like she had anticipated. It was a funny feeling that started at the place Kira had pricked her. It was like sitting for days and then standing up. It was tickling. At the beginning she thought it was funny but when the feeling began to spread down her back and over her back and started to go down her legs she panicked.
"Jarod?" she whispered.
"Try to slow down your breathing," he whispered back. "Has the bleeding stopped? She needs to turn around."
Kira nodded and helped Kyla to turn onto her back.
"Slow down your breathing, Kyla. I know it's hard. There's nothing to worry about."
"I want my legs back!" Kyla nearly screamed and Jarod pushed her back into the cushions when she wanted to jump up.
"Stay where you are and try to breath slowly or you'll suffer from a circulatory breakdown. I don't want to have to reanimate you. Understood?"
Kyla nodded her head and tried to hold her breath.
"I can't. It feels like suffocating," she sobbed and tried to suck in more air.
"OK, I know you're panicking but try not to panic any more. I'll be pressing a piece of cloth on your mouth and nose. It will get harder to breathe but you'll have to slow down. If it won't work - we still have an oxygen bottle with us."
By now nothing mattered. She felt like she was dying from lack of oxygen any minute, her lungs felt like exploding and her legs were numb. It couldn't be any worse. For only three or four breaths did he press the cloth on her face then he took it away and put a face mask over her mouth and nose.
"Better?"
Kyla nodded and tried to sit up. Jarod helped her and she found that her legs were something that didn’t seem to belong to her. It was curious sensation not to be able to feel her own body parts. She poked her leg and didn't feel anything.
"I don't like it. It's awful. How long will it last?"
"A few days if we're lucky. We need to get out of Chicago before you can start to walk again, you know," Kira explained, "We have to meet with Rachel tonight and tomorrow we'll meet with Samantha. I hope we have found a way to help you and get out of Chicago by then. As soon as we're finished the drugs can wear off. If they're not working the way I want them to we have to repeat the procedure. Or you play your role very convincingly. You just need to get used to it. Now you'll sit in your wheelchair for the first time."
"But I have been sitting in it when we went up here."
"Wasn't it different? You still had you legs in a matter of speaking. Now you need it."
"You're right. And I'm sure I'm not gonna like it."
"But you'll get used to it. We have about half an hour until we meet with Rachel. We should get going. Do you think you're prepared?"
"I don't think so but do I have choice?"
Jarod simply grinned and lifted her up and sat her into the wheelchair. She hated to watch Jarod put her feet where they belonged when she didn't feel a thing. He gently kissed her forehead and smiled at her.
"I am really sorry for what happened. I promise that we'll make it up someday."
"The Caribbean?" Kyla grinned back.
"Only if I get a lot of nice young men dressed in nothing more but leaves," Kira smiled and opened the hotel room door for Jarod and the wheelchair.
"I want only one young man. Thank you. But he's not in the Caribbean," Kyla sighed.
"You’ll see him again one day. We’ll help you find your way back home. And if we don’t we’ll find you a wonderful young man," Jarod said and pushed the wheelchair inside the elevator.
When they went out on the street people started to stare at Kyla again and she started to hate her role. But if Jarod thought it necessary she would play along. He had been right. It wasn't far to the O'Toole's. Jarod opened the door and Kyla closed her eyes. The stairs were long and steep. Jarod lifted her up and carried her downstairs while Kira carried the wheelchair. Once he stumbled but caught his balance on the next step.
"Don't you dare doing this again. I don't want to die from a heart attack," Kira said when they were at the bottom of the stairway. "How are you, Kyla?"
"A little shaky but alright. Can you see Rachel?"
"No, we're too early. Let's find a table and sit down."
A nice young man welcomed them at the main entrance.
"Can I see your driver's license?" he asked Kyla.
"Do I look like I'd be able to drive?" Kyla grinned and Jarod gave the man her forged ID card.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude."
"I'm used to it," Kyla simply said.
They were shown a table in one of the corners and they sat down and waited for Rachel.
"I didn't know you had a false ID for me," Kyla whispered and Jarod shrugged his shoulders.
"And I told you not to speak so much in public. Some people are very good in identifying voices."
They ordered a pitcher with coke and waited. They waited for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, half an hour, three quarters of an hour. Rachel didn’t show up. Jarod’s cell phone rang. When he hung up he looked really concerned.
"That was Samantha. She said that Rachel was involved in a car crash earlier this morning. She's with her in hospital. I'd like to see her very much but we can't risk to go there. There's police everywhere and I don't want us to be caught while visiting a friend. And I'm sure you're still all over the news."
"What about you?"
"Do you think the Centre would officially announce what they're doing? They had to if they wanted someone else to catch me. All they want is to catch me on their own. They're cowards."
"Jarod, please. We're in the public. Could you please find another topic to talk about?"
"Sorry, Kira. Would you mind if we go home? I can't stand to sit here any longer while Rachel is in hospital. Would the two of you return to the hotel while I go to the hospital?"
"Where is the hospital?"
"Just a few blocks down the road. It would be best if you just return to our room."
"Alright. You'll go to the hospital and I'll bring Kyla back to our room. Then I'll see if I can get us something to eat."
"Would you please include me in your conversation? Why don't we stay here for a little while longer and order something to eat?"
"No, Kyla, we've already been here too long. Sorry. Let's pay the bill and leave."
"You know what I think about all this. I don't need to comment."
Jarod paid and they left. Everybody tried not to stare at Kyla but she felt that she was watched. She was glad when Jarod lifted her up and carried her up the stairs. Somehow she felt safe when she was sitting in her wheelchair again.
On the five minute walk back to the hotel Kyla and Kira didn't say much. Jarod had left them as soon as they had been standing outside and Kyla was back in her wheelchair. He had looked really concerned and Kyla thought that she remembered that the two of them have had an affair. She didn't know if she was right but that would explain Jarod's behaviour. He had disappeared behind the next street corner and had left the two of them alone without saying when he would be back or what they had to do if he wouldn't return. He was the only one with Samantha's phone number and he had the cell phone.
When they arrived at the hotel lobby someone called to them across the room.
"Sorry to bother you, Mrs. Lewellyn," the handsome young hotel boy said, " But there has been a call for you about an hour ago. Would you please call back this number?" he said and handed Kira a piece of paper with a phone number. "A Ms. Waters was asking to speak to you."
"Thank you. But how do you know who I am?"
"Sorry to say that but I only recognized your daughter. I apologize, Miss," he said towards Kyla.
"Thank you, Mister," Kira said and went towards the elevator. When the doors had closed behind her Kira leaned against the wall and exhaled.
"That wasn't good. I think I have seen that man before and it's not good if we get recognized because of you. We have to leave Chicago as soon as possible. I hope Jarod will be back soon. "
They went inside their room and locked the door. Kyla wheeled in front of the window and looked outside. On the left hand side she could see the lake on the other side some kind of construction site – she wasn't sure what it was and she didn't really care. From the 14th floor everything down in the streets looked funny and small and she felt even smaller in her wheelchair. Why had she agreed on that? She needed to go to the toilet and wondered how she would manage that. She asked Kira who came out of the bathroom with a coffee mug in her hands.
"I have to help you. I know it's hard but I'm sure you'll manage."

When she was finished she was glad to sit in the wheelchair again. Kira left her alone in the room to get something to eat. She didn’t know if Jarod would allow it but she took his laptop and read a few things he had on his hard drive. Mostly things about medicine but some interesting things about massage and acupressure. She nearly fell off her wheelchair when the telephone rang. Neither Jarod nor Kira had told her what to do so she answered the call.
"Hello?"
"Kira? It's me, Jarod."
"Jarod? You sound strange," Kyla said, still not sure if this was really Jarod or someone else who only pretended to be Jarod.
"I'm inside a phone boot. You're not Kira. You're Kyla. Where's Kira?"
"She went to get something to eat. Where are you?"
"I'll be back soon. Rachel is not well. I was told that she was hit by a truck and someone said that it didn't look like an accident at all. She'll survive but I can't stay here much longer. I suspect that this has something to do with the Centre."
Now Kyla was sure that it was really Jarod and she told him that Sam Waters had supposedly called at the hotel when they had been at the O'Toole's.
"We'll talk about that when I'm with you. I'll be back soon. I promise. See you then."
He hung up before Kyla could say anything else. Then the door opened and Kira came in.
"Jarod just called. He'll be back soon. He said that Rachel was hit by a truck that supposedly belonged to the Centre."
"Sure it was Jarod?"
"Absolutely. What have you brought for dinner?"
"Chinese. I hope you like it."
A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Kira nearly panicked when she realized that Kyla wasn't wearing her wig. She pushed the wheelchair inside the bathroom and closed the door. Kyla locked it from the inside and tried to put on the wig while Kira opened the door. She opened the door only a small slit to look outside. She was relieved to see that it was only Jarod but he looked troubled.
"Where's Kyla?"
"Inside the bathroom. I was afraid it could be someone else."
Jarod opened the bathroom door and found Kyla who was still fighting with her wig.
"No need to hurry, Kyla, it's only me. By the way, why did you take it off the first place?"
"I thought we were on our own and nobody would care. And I can't go to bed with a wig, can I?"
"No need to apologize," Jarod grinned, "I couldn't live with a wig either. I'll lock the door and you can leave it off. But you have to close the curtains so nobody can see us."
"The curtains were open the whole time while I was in here without the wig."
"Don't argue with me now, honey. Kira, would you close the curtains please?"
Jarod sat down on the bed and so did Kira. Kyla whished she could slouch into the armchair but had to remain in her wheelchair.
"What happened at the hospital? How's Rachel?" Kira asked while trying to eat her dinner with chopsticks.
"As I already told Kyla, her car was hit by a truck when she was in a parking lot and wanted to get out of her car. She was hurt badly but she'll survive. Some guy said that a man with a missing thumb was driving the truck but he disappeared and wasn't found to make a confession for the police. So I'm not sure if this was his imagination or if it really was Lyle who was driving the truck. The truck had no licence plate and was all black. I can't believe they've done that. Do they know I wanted to meet her? Or was this just a coincidence?"
"I don't think that this was coincidence," Kira said, "Why else wouldn't the truck have a licence plate? And if someone said that the driver was missing a thumb – I don't think someone would imagine something like that. The only thing I can think of is that someone knows both you and the Centre and wants you to hate them more than you already do. But that sounds a little far fetched."
"I don't care who it was. I don't even care if it was Mr. Parker himself. I know that this was the Centre. It's time to sleep now. We have to get up really early tomorrow. We won't meet with Samantha in Chicago but somewhere else. I can't tell you where. I don't even know myself."
Kyla sighed. This universe seemed to consist of more sleeping than any of the others. Jarod lifted her out of the wheelchair and sat her down on the edge of the bed. She let herself fall down and Jarod covered her with the sheets.
"Sweet dreams and don't worry, the anaesthetic will wear off eventually. I promise."
Kyla only nodded and closed her eyes to drift off into an other universe.

***

She was lying on the cold stone floor. Her head felt like exploding and someone was holding her. She was afraid to open her eyes. She couldn't remember a scene like that. This had to be a new universe. Not another one. She heard female voices and the sound of fighting in the next room. She slowly opened her eyes. It was dark. She was in a cellar and when she looked up she looked into the eyes of a middle-aged man who was somehow strange. He looked down on her. His eyes were hidden behind glasses and some kind of torch light was reflecting on it. She had definitely seen him before. Was this something like Xena universe? No, they wore different clothes and didn't have glasses.
"Don't move, Kyla. The demon has wounded you badly," he said when Kyla tried to sit up – Giles. Rupert Giles. This was a Buffy universe.
"What happened?" She had to find out who she was and what role she was playing in this universe. maybe it would be best simply to pretend not to remember anything except her name.
"You and Willow were trying to fight a demon and –"
"Willow? Where is she? Where's Buffy?"
"Kyla, I think you shouldn't be talking. You're badly hurt and I don't know what else the demon did to you but Buffy will take care of it. I'm sure she and Willow will manage to kill it. Then we'll get you to hospital."
"Why wasn't I able to kill it?"
"You did your best but you hesitated when it looked at you directly. Then it hit you. You were unconscious for a little while but you were talking about someone named Scott the whole time. Now try to relax, Kyla, things will be over soon."
A shrill tone was heard in the room next door and then there was silence. The door opened and Buffy and Willow entered the room. They looked tired but Kyla knew that they had been successful. But why had she hesitated to kill the beast? And why had she been babbling about Scott? What was so special about him? Maybe he had looked like Scott. Or maybe Scott was one of her kind and was travelling through universes as well. But she didn't dare to tell Giles about that. He was a great teacher and a wonderful man but she didn't know if she could trust him. Buffy and Willow kneeled down beside her and smiled. Willow gave her a necklace.
"Put it onto the wound. It belonged to the beast and has special abilities. It will heal your wounds quickly."
Kyla did as told and felt a prickling sensation moving through her body. It only took a few seconds until the feeling subsided. She looked at her hands. They were covered with blood and her shirt was red as well but the wound on her belly was gone. There wasn't even a scar left. She smiled and tried to sit up. Her head still ached. Giles helped her up and steadied her. When she had been watching Buffy on TV people had looked smaller. Giles was huge and even Willow was taller than she was. Giles was even taller than her father had been when he had still been alive. Or was it just her imagination? She had been smaller then but had grown since he died. Why was she so fixed on how tall people were? It didn't matter at all.
"What happened? I don't remember anything."
"Nothing? Not even that it was you who managed to summon the demon? I failed but you and Willow managed to do it. And when the demon saw you it wanted to kill you. I don't know why it went for you and not for Willow as well. But somehow you didn't manage to kill it."
"Buffy, you have to tell her the truth. Of course she didn't kill the demon. She hesitated. She failed in killing it. The demon will come back. I doubt that Willow killed it alone. You helped her."
"Of course I did. Why would it come back? It's dead."
"No Buffy, it's not. It will return. Kyla has to learn a lot before she can hunt vampires and demons on her own. Now let's end this topic and go home. It's late."
"But why did we summon the demon?"
"You don't even remember that?" Giles turned a little pale but caught himself immediately. Something seemed terribly wrong but Kyla didn't know what. Giles was leading her out of the room but she didn't know if he was holding her by the elbow to steady her or to keep her from running away. Why should she run and where should she go? She had no idea what was happening in this universe. But she didn't like the fact that there was another universe where she had to get killed. But his one didn't seem to be a hard one. Getting killed by a demon shouldn't be hard to arrange if Giles allowed her near a demon in the near future. What if she was a complete failure? What if he decided to keep her away from those creatures? There would be a way out of it. There had to be.
Buffy took her other elbow and nodded to Giles who disappeared. He seemed to dissolve into thin air but he was just quick when turning around the next corner of the street.
"Can you walk on your own?"
"Of course I can. What happened to Giles? He had a look in his eyes as if he had seen a ghost in me."
"He has – so to say. You survived an attack by a beast you summoned. That's something that hardly ever happens. But you still have much to learn. Never hesitate when you face a demon."
"I know that by now. But why did we summon the demon the first place? I have no idea what happened before I woke up."
"Nothing? Really nothing? Then it's true what's been said about that sort of demons."
"Buffy, stop talking in riddles. I want to know what happened," Kyla protested.
"Giles wanted to summon a demon that could help you remembering."
"Remembering what?"
"You suffered from partial amnesia. Don't you remember?"
"No. What?"
"Since the accident that killed your parents you suffered from partial amnesia. You knew who you are and where you are but nothing about your past."
"Buffy - wait. My parents got killed in an accident?"
"Don't say you forgot everything you learned since the accident!?"
"What did I learn, Buffy?"
"We tried to tell you everything about your past and hoped you would start to remember the rest. The thing Giles wanted to summon is said to have a kind of healing power that can heal wounds in the soul as well as wounds in the body itself."
"So what went wrong?"
"Good question. It is said that the one who kills the beast gets its powers. I can only guess what happened. Giles said it would be best if you summoned the beast yourself so you knew the exact moment it would appear. Then again he decided otherwise. He said you were too young to summon demons so he told Willow and me to do it so we had some practise. Something went wrong and you said something you weren't supposed to say. I don't know what it was but I remember Giles getting really pale. When the demon finally appeared it attacked you and nearly killed you."
"But what kind of demon was it?"
"Good question. It should have been a relatively harmless one but you turned it into something else. And I have no idea what that is. And I don't understand what Giles meant when he said that the demon would come back."
"But I do," Willow interrupted, "the demon disappeared into thin air. It should have dissolved in flames. But how could Giles have known that? The door was closed when it disappeared. But I don't know why it left the necklace with us."
"Maybe it felt sorry for what it has done?" Kyla asked and both Buffy and Willow looked at her like she had said something wrong.
"I think Giles was right. It was too early. But still I don't know what it all meant. And whatever you said made it transform into something bigger and more powerful. And if it simply disappeared to come back later something is terribly wrong with it. But I don't understand why Giles nearly panicked. He never panics. Let's go home. I hope Giles will be with us tomorrow to explain everything. Do you still have the necklace?"
"No, Giles took it with him when he left. Why?"
"Do you remember how it looked, Kyla?"
"No, I didn't even look at it. Willow should know how it looks. She's the one who gave it to me."
"I don't remember. I only know that it was triangular." Willow tried to concentrate. "It was a Celtic symbol like one never ending line."
"What do you know about it? Does it say something about the demon?" Buffy asked. While they had been talking had arrived at their house. They went inside. They sat down in the kitchen and Willow made some tea.
"You said the demon had healing powers it gives to the one who kills him, right?"
Buffy and Willow nodded.
"It left the necklace with us. It still has healing powers even though the beast itself still lives. Maybe that's the thing Giles is so worried about."
"But what if you have healing powers now?"
"We could try," Willow suggested.
"DON'T!" Giles' voice came from the front door, "It isn't going to work."
"How can you be so sure about it?"
"I'm not sure about anything, Buffy, but I don't want to risk anything."
"I can try it at my own risk. Don't try to stop me."
Buffy took a knife from the drawer and wanted to cut herself. She had never seen Giles move that fast but he was faster than Buffy and took the knife from her hands before she could even move it towards her finger.
"I told you not to try it, young lady. Kyla, be a good girl and go to bed. The three of us have a lot to talk about."
"Don't tell me I'm too young to understand. I already know."
Kyla went into the living room and let herself fall onto the sofa. She had no idea if she had her own room upstairs but the sofa had always looked comfortable on TV. Why hadn't anyone told her anything useful yet? She still had no idea what had really happened or who she really was in this universe. She heard Buffy and Willow argue about something in the kitchen. Was it about the necklace and its healing power? She had to admit that it was frightening her but it had saved her life. Suddenly she felt tired. She closed her eyes and dozed off.

***

"Rise and shine, Ensign," she heard the Doctor's voice and felt the hypospray he had just pressed to her neck spreading in her bloodstream. "How do you feel?"
"I feel like I fell down from a mountain. Where am I?"
"Voyager. Sickbay."
Captain Janeway's face came into view. She tried to move but found herself unable to do so. She was back on Voyager. She had been here before and supposedly had had a date with Harry on the holodeck where something had gone wrong.
"I have good and bad news for you. Which one would you like to hear first?" the Doctor asked.
"Good news first."
Janeway and Harry who was standing next to her both looked very confused. Something was wrong. Why else would the Captain be there? She was just a simple Ensign and the accident had happened in her free time. So why was she here?
"Good news? The surgery is over and you'll survive."
"Doesn't sound very positive to me. So what's the bad news?"
"The surgery wasn't successful. I wasn't able to re-establish the neural link in your spine."
"What does this mean? Sounds like a complete failure to me. Is that why I can't move?"
"Kind of - yes. You won't be able to move your legs again. At least not by yourself. There is enough technical equipment that can make you walk and there would always be the chance of using Borg technology."
"No way. I'd rather beam myself out into space before I let Borg nanoprobes control functions inside my body. But what happened in the holodeck that caused this accident the first place?"
"We still haven't found out," Harry said. He was pale with a touch of green at his nose. He wasn't feeling comfortable being around her and the Captain but he tried not to show his discomfort even though it was hard not to see how he felt.
Janeway came to stand beside her and put her hand on her shoulder. She looked down on her with a sad smile on her face.
"Take as much time as you need to recover. I release you of your duties aboard the ship for the time being. When the Doctor tells me you're fit for doing your job again you will be put back to duty. But don't press things. You have time. All the time you need."
Kyla simply nodded. She was too much in her thoughts to do anything else. There had to be a connection between this universe and the one with Jarod in Chicago. In both universes her legs were a topic beyond discussing. At least for her. The Captain left sickbay and Harry stepped forward to stand next to her. He looked down on her but didn't know what to say.
"Don't worry, Harry, I'll be fine."
"But it's all my fault. I convinced you to come along even though you had your doubts. And as far as I understand the Doc you're far from being fine. What you need is a miracle and no boyfriend like me who's nearly crying when he looks at you."
"That's right. I don't need a crying boyfriend. What would people think?!"
"Does it mean it's over?"
"Of course not. Stop crying."
"I don't understand you. No matter what happens your sense of humour stays the same. How do you do that? If I were in your situation the only thing I would wish for was dying. Or at least disappear into a world of dreams and pretend nothing ever happened."
"Do you think I am different? Don't you know me at least a little bit? You know that I like sports and the thing I hate most is not being able to do as I want to. I can't pretend it never happened. That would mean denying who I am. No. I was the fool who wasn't able to climb so I have to live with the consequences."
"But the security protocols weren't functioning properly. They are my speciality. I should have taken care of that."
"Harry, stop wailing. It's no one's fault in particular. Many thing had to happen at once. I don't blame you and I don't blame myself either. It happened and I can't make it undone. Maybe I should wish for Q to appear and ask him to change the world for me."
The Doctor came up from behind and made Harry step aside. He held a small device in his hand.
"This is a spinal implant. It will take over the functions of your spinal cord. You will get used to it. You have to practise walking again but I'm sure Mr Kim is going to help you. I need about ten minutes to put the device in place. In half an hour and you'll be released to your quarters. No sports for the next few weeks only light walking at most. Now turn on your belly and let me proceed. Mr Kim, please leave sickbay for the time being. I will contact you when you can pick her up."
Harry didn't say a word simply nodded and bit his lip before he left the room. Kyla watched him go. Somehow she wasn't comfortable with the idea of Harry Kim as her boyfriend. He was way too old for her. Or she was older in this universe. In real life she was 17. She had to be older or else she wouldn't be an ensign.
"Doc, how old am I?"
"Excuse me?"
"How old am I? Simply answer the question."
"24. Why do you ask?"
"I was just curious if I remembered right. I'm trying to sort my thoughts while you do your job. Is it going to hurt?"
"Of course not. We're not in the middle ages anymore."
"Sorry. Didn't mean to be rude."
"No offence taken. Now stop talking so I can begin. You might as well take a little nap."
"No thanks. I prefer to stay awake. I have a lot to think about."
The Doctor shrugged and turned away. She heard him rummaging around and felt him touch her back. She heard strange sounds but didn't feel anything. Only ten minutes later he stopped and stepped back.
"As good as new. You have to get used to it first. Don't wait for miracles. It will work and if you're lucky you won't even remember that it's there. But the first few days will be spent with constant learning from both you and the device. It has to learn to interpret the signals from your brain and you will have to get used to how it works and that it's there. Do you want me to call Ensign Kim for you?"
"No thanks. I'll manage without him. Anybody else who could help me?"
"Naomi is next door and practising her biology. She can accompany you."
"That would be nice."
The door opened and a young woman stepped through. That was Naomi Wildman? On TV she had been much younger. She had been a child. She had to be at least 20 years old. That was it. Everybody except the Doc had seemed different but she hadn't been able to put a finger on it. Now she knew when and where she was. About 8 or more years in the future that didn't exist on TV. On TV they had returned to Earth when Naomi was a child. But what did it matter? She was older as well and she was still older than Naomi. But why was she still practising biology? Maybe she wanted to have a career in this field. She didn't want to know.
"Hey Kyla."
"Hi Naomi. How are you?"
"Fine. How do you feel?"
"I don't know yet. Maybe if you would help me up I could find out."
Naomi grinned and helped her up. It seemed like they were good friends to her. She had no idea but she hoped to find out any time soon. Naomi helped her to sit up and somehow she didn't feel very comfortable. She could move her legs but they didn't seem to belong to her. She didn't trust her own legs to carry her. Naomi held her by one arm and she steadies herself against the biobed when she made her first attempt to stand with the implant in her spine. Her knees felt wobbly but they worked as they usually did. Everything seemed to be fine. The Doctor nodded and gave her permission to leave sickbay.
"My quarters. I think I need some time to get acquainted to this feeling."
"How's your memory? The Doc said you had problems remembering things before the accident."
"That's true. To tell the truth I have no idea where to go but I think you do," she grinned at Naomi.
The sickbay doors closed behind them. She felt unsure on her legs. People she had never seen before greeted her in the corridors and she smiled back.
"Slow down, Naomi. I don't feel that fit. How far is it to the next turbolift?"
"Not far. You'll manage. Come on."
She concentrated on the door Naomi had pointed on an put one foot in front of the other. Suddenly her legs didn't move anymore and she stumbled. Naomi tried to catch her but the ground came nearer. A strong hand caught her before she hit the ground. She looked up and saw Chakotay. He smiled and helped her up.
"I know you aren't comfortable with the idea I have but I don't see any other way."
Before she could utter a word Chakotay had lifted her up and carried her towards the turbolift.
"How do you know that?"
"You never allowed anyone to carry you. Even if it was in battle and you were wounded. You always insisted on walking by yourself."
So she had to be one of the Maquis. Another bit of memory of what had supposedly been her life. The turbolift doors closed behind them. Chakotay had been right. She hated to be carried around like a child. She felt vulnerable. And that was a feeling she strongly disliked. The doors opened again and he carried her through the corridor to her quarters. In front of the door he put her back on her feet.
"You walk through that door on your own. I don't want any rumours to come up."
"No, I'm not going to get married," Kyla grinned.
"Fine. Let me know when you need something. I'll leave the two of you alone. Take care."
With that he turned around and left them alone. The doors to her quarters opened and she looked at her quarters what seemed to be the first time. It looked like the quarters did in ever Voyager episode. A few personal belongings but nothing special. She let herself fall onto the sofa. Naomi sat down beside her and looked at her.
"Is there something I should know about you and Chakotay? What about you and Harry?"
"That's a good question. I don't know. I can't remember anything that happened before I woke up in sickbay after the accident."
"At least you know who you are. That's important. The rest will come back eventually. I'm sure. Do you want me to stay with you for a while ode do you need some rest?"
"If you don't mind I'd like to be alone to sort things out. Thanks for your help."
"It's been a pleasure. I'll be in sickbay and go on with my biology experiments. Call me when you need help."
"Thanks. I'll keep that in mind," Kyla smiled. Naomi got up and kissed her on the cheek before she left the room. The doors closed and she was alone again. Alone with her thoughts and alone in a room she didn't have the faintest memories about. All she knew was that she needed something to drink. Slowly she got up and walked to the replicator. The Doc had been right. She needed some time to get used to the implant and its reactions to her brain commands. She felt as if the commands her brain gave took their time to reach the implant and make the muscles in her legs move. That was definitely something she had to get used to. She ordered a hot camomile and peppermint tea and walked back to the sofa. Halfway there her knees went wobbly. She didn't know if she should simply throw away the glass and praise herself or try to steady the glass. She tried to do both - and fell. She heard the glass break and heard herself fall to the ground. She didn't feel her knees hitting the floor only her head banging against the corner of the table. She tried to hit her communicator when the world went black.

***

It was dark. Which universe was she in? She was moving. She was being carried through the darkness. She tried to focus on the man who was carrying her but her vision was blurred. A dark haired woman was walking beside them. They were in a hurry and nearly running. This had to be the universe where she had just escaped the Centre. The man who was carrying her had to be Jarod and to woman had to be Miss Parker.
"Kyla, are you awake? Can you try to stand on your own? We have to get into the plane fast."
She was set to the ground and she focused on the stairs in front of her. Lyle's drugs were still affecting her but she felt them wear off eventually. Her vision became clearer and she climbed the stairs into the plane as fast as she could. She heard Jarod and Parker talk behind her but couldn't make out the words. She felt Jarod's hands on her shoulder when she was finally standing in the plane and turned to face him. He smiled and nodded.
"We're going to make it. Don't worry. How do you feel?"
"Better. Maybe a little tired and hungry but more like myself than the last hour."
Parker and Jarod smiled and sat down. Kyla did the same and was tempted to close her eyes but decided against it. She had been in this universe for only a few minutes she couldn't leave this soon. This universe seemed quite quiet at the moment - why not enjoy a little bit of the silence and just lean back and try to sort through her thoughts and the things she had lived through. Somehow it seemed like a whole lifetime since she had started to shift through the universes but when she counted it couldn't be much more than two days at most. How long had she been gone from her own universe? What had been a dream and what had been reality? Was she still sitting with the psychologist? Had he really tried to send her to a closed facility? Had Jarod been real? Had her trip to Chicago been real? She couldn't make out where reality ended and her dreams and illusions began. Were they real illusions? What a choice of words. Could illusions become reality? Was she nuts? She had lived through more of her daydreams than she could have ever dreamed of. Another wise choice of words, she thought and leaned back. The world rushed by when the plane started to ascend into the sky. Everything was going so fast like her life had gone in the last days. Or already weeks?
She felt Parker's eyes on her and turned around. Parker was sitting on the seat in front of her and was watching her. She tried to smile at Parker. Somehow it was hard to believe she was really here. Was she here or was it just a dream? What if she just accepted it as reality? What if she gave up her notion of reality? What if she accepted the shifting as normal? Just ignore the things Terry/Dax had said about getting killed to go back? Would it work?
"What are you thinking about?"
"Good question. I'm trying to sort my thoughts but somehow it doesn't work. I can't concentrate."
"That's normal. You have to remember that Lyle drugged you. Not just any drug but his own special creation. And that's something you can be proud of."
"What? That he used me as his guinea pig?"
"No, that you survived."
"But you survived as well."
"He didn't drug me. He just tried to control me. That's something else."
"Can I have something to drink?"
Changing topic seemed to be the only thing to escape from this conversation. She didn't want to talk to anyone anymore. She wanted to concentrate on everything that had happened the last days. She wanted to recount everything and maybe find out where one reality ended and the other ones began. She found herself thinking of realities. Where they real? This one thought stayed in her mind and she had no idea how to find out the truth - if there was such a thing. Live it and try to be happy? Life it and try to get killed to get back? Did she want to get back? What did she want? Kyla had no idea. On one hand this was like paradise. She had to get used to the shifting but this was just like her dreams. Every universe mingled with the other and sometimes they became one. All she had ever dreamed about had become true. She was part of the TV series and she was the main character. So why not enjoy it? But on the other hand she missed her friends and sometimes even her mother. But was this enough to give up this wonderful dream?
Parker came back with a glass of water and interrupted her thoughts again. Kyla smiled and thanked her and hoped that she would leave her alone again. But she didn't dare to ask to be left alone. Jarod and Parker had saved her life.
"You look tired. Do you want to lie down and try to sleep?" Jarod asked when he passed them by. Kyla smiled at him and nodded. He had saved her once more. Parker smiled and got up. Together they left the compartment and she was alone. Alone with her thoughts once more. But she felt too tired to think about anything. Suddenly her eyelids felt as if they weighed tons and she closed them. She hadn't been in this universe for to long but she left it again. She fell asleep while the plane was speeding through the sky.
Chapters 21 - 25 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 21-25

She opened her eyes. She was lying in a comfortable bed. No plane anymore. The light on the nightstand was turned on. She looked around the room. The universe with the psychiatrist Michelle Parker. Right. She had been afraid to lock the door because the house could have burned down while she was asleep and nobody could have rescued her. Hadn't that been exactly what she had been hoping for? Dying so she could get out of the universe where Miss Parker was no real Parker? She had wanted o get up early and go to the lake if there was a lake in this universe. She looked at the clock. Half past four in the morning. Not exactly the time for getting up. Maybe she could just go to sleep again. Or she could get up and have a look at her computer. If she had a connection to the internet she could try to reach the others. Maybe she was lucky and got an answer.
She hated to get up early. She got out of bed and tiptoed to the bathroom. She hoped Parker wouldn't hear her and ask silly questions. She looked at herself in the mirror. She looked like she always did and somehow she was disappointed. Somehow she had had hopes that she would look different in each universe. That her blond curly hair would suddenly be black and not curly. Or her eyes turned from blue to brown. Or maybe even her skin colour would change. She had always wanted to have some more colour. But no. She was always the same. Always the same boring Kyla Parker she used to be. What if she changed herself in one universe? But what for? She would always remain Kyla. Why was she standing in front of the mirror at half past four in the morning in a reality that was not her own and wondering about her looks? Hadn't she anything useful to do? Find a way to her real universe maybe. She sighed. Did she want to go back? She had asked herself the same question over and over again. Did she want to go back? Her mother had sent her to a shrink to get rid of her mental problems. But this had been where the problems had started. Everything had been daydreaming about the universes she loved so much. About the TV series she loved to watch. When she had been with this Dr. Greene her dreams had started to become real. Everything contradicted itself. Some universes didn't make sense and they weren't even close to her daydreams. They were like nightmares. This one included. Had she really dreamed about Parker being her aunt? About a Parker like that? She shook her head and tiptoed back to her room. She closed the door and locked it tight. She didn’t want Parker to sneak up from behind and watch her again. She wasn't allowed to go to school or leave the house without Parker at her heels. The internet was her only connection to the outside world.
Maybe a search in the medical files could help her. She opened the medical archives of several universities all over the world to search for anything that might have been connected to her case. Factitious disorder seemed somehow appropriate but that didn't include shifting through universes. It only meant shifting through personalities. Something like multiple personality. Didn't the archives say anything about multiple universes? A thought struck her mind. What if she was searching the wrong archives? What if this had nothing to do with medicine but with physics or astrophysics? Some spatial phenomenon? Something like that happened in Star Trek all the time. What if this was something similar? Maybe she should ask the people from the Star Trek universe what they thought about it or if they could help her.
Maybe there was another way to shift through to another universe. Maybe she only had to wish hard enough and she would shift. At the beginning it had worked as well. Not wishing hard but changing without falling asleep or unconscious. Maybe there was something else. Something like the red shoes from Dorothy in Wizard of Oz? Why red shoes? In the book they had been silver. She looked at her red socks. Maybe they would do the trick as well. Clap your heels twice and you'll be back in Kansas? What if she ended up in Oz? What if it didn't work the way she anticipated? Well, things couldn't get much worse, could they? She switched off the computer. It was a quarter past five. Parker wouldn't be up yet. She stood in the middle of the room and felt silly. Clap your heels twice and you'll be back with Star Trek. She squeezed her eyes shut and clapped her red socked heels twice. Believe it. Believe it. Believe it.

***

She opened her eyes. She was lying on a bed. Every movement hurt. Without having to look around she knew where she was. This was the Enterprise. She had spent a training lesson with T'Pol and now every muscle in her body hurt. It had worked. She had changed to another universe and hadn't fallen asleep in the other. But what had happened to her in the Parker universe? Was she still standing in the middle of the room with her red socks and her eyes squeezed shut? Would Parker find her like that? She smiled and rolled to one side to get up. She had to be on time for her duty. She could hardly walk. She treated herself with a hot shower and put on her uniform. She left her quarters and shot a look at her room number so she would find it again.
She was standing in the turbolift when it came back to her. She had no idea where she had to go. What was her duty aboard the Enterprise? With a loud bang the lift stopped dead and Kyla fell to the floor. She hit her head. The lights went off and an alarm started to blare. At least she had an excuse for being late. She sat down on the floor, crossed her legs and waited. Someone would come and get her.
"T'Pol to Ensign Parker."
Kyla got up and fingered for the communications panel on the wall.
"This is Ensign Parker."
"You're late. Where are you?"
"I'm stuck in a turbolift."
"You're in there? Why didn't you call? Are you hurt?"
"I don't know. It's quite dark in here. My head hurts a little."
"I'll tell them down in engineering to hurry. Stay where you are."
*I won't try to run away,* Kyla thought and sat down on the floor again. On TV they always did heroic things like climbing out the lift through a hidden door in the ceiling and climbing up Jeffrey's tubes to the next floor even with a broken leg. But she was no superwoman and had no idea where to go. She decided on just staying there and waiting. Maybe it would work. Maybe she would be brought to her station. Or she would be stuck in there forever. She could try to get to another universe. They couldn't help her in here. And being stuck in an elevator wasn't something she wanted to do forever. She felt silly. She couldn't play Dorothy again. Maybe there was another way to get away. Krystal had said that she had simply opened the door and was in another universe. And she had crossed universes through doors before. There had been the door to her quarters aboard DS9 that had brought her to Michelle Parker's house and the holodeck doors aboard the Enterprise D that had brought her to Parker's house as well. Maybe doors only led to Michelle's house. Pretending to be Dorothy had brought her here. She squeezed her eyes shut and wished herself away.
She opened her eyes again. Still dark. Still blaring alarms. Still the same place. Stuck in a turbolift. No chance of getting near a science station in the near future and finding out about spatial anomalies. She didn't have her red socks anymore only black boots. But maybe they worked as well. Clap your heels twice and you'll be back in Kansas. She got up. Clap your heels twice and you'll be back in another Star Trek universe. Clap. Clap.
She opened her eyes again. Still dark. Still blaring alarms. Still the same place. Stuck in a turbolift. Why hadn't it worked??? Why was she still here? Was it the fact that she didn't have her red socks anymore? Or hadn't she wished hard enough? Maybe it was just her will that brought her to another place. She squeezed her eyes shut again. *I want to be somewhere else. I want to be somewhere else. I want to be somewhere else. I want to be somewhere else.*
She opened her eyes. It was still dark. But there were no alarms. It was as if there was nothing. As if she was nowhere. In a bubble with nothing. Completely black. Completely silent. It hadn't worked properly. She was no longer in the turbolift. *I want to be somewhere else.* She squeezed her eyes shut again. *I want to be somewhere else.*

***

Dark. Silent. But she was somewhere. She was lying on a sofa. Covered with a blanket. The room was dark. She looked around. The room was completely furnished and sparsely illuminated from the streetlamps outside. She was back in the Buffy universe. She had been sitting on the sofa while the others had been in the kitchen. She had fallen asleep and changed universes. Now she was back by wishing herself here. Had she wanted to be here? She had wanted to be in a Star Trek universe. She had wanted to know something about spatial anomalies. But the Buffy universe wasn't bad either.
She jumped when she saw someone sitting in the armchair.
"Sorry to scare you," the man said, "How do you feel?"
"Except being scared I'm fine. Why?"
"You were sleeping like dead. You didn't react when I tried to wake you and you were talking in your sleep."
"Why's everyone saying that I'm talking while I'm sleeping. That's not fair. Did I say something important?"
"No," the man laughed, "Just something about spatial anomalies and the need to find someone to help you."
Kyla tried to think. She was sitting here with Giles in the darkness and talking. Should she tell him what had happened to her? Should she tell him the truth? Would he believe her? Could he help her?
"Giles, can I ask you something important?"
"Sure. What do you need?"
"The thing I said about spatial anomalies and the need to find someone to help me. I meant it."
"Can you explain that further?"
She told him the whole story. From her mother who had sent her to see a shrink to her last findings that she could change to other universes by wishing real hard. Giles looked sceptical. Kyla wondered why they were still sitting in the dark. She fumbled for the matches on the table and lit a candle. The whole thing didn't look so conspicuous anymore. More like a little meeting to talk about the day. Giles scratched his chin.
"Have those changes come in regular intervals? I mean, have you been in the universe for an hour each or did it differ?"
"It's different each time."
"Doesn't sound like a demon to me. I haven't heard about anything like this before."
"A completely different question. Why are you sitting here?"
"Beg you pardon?"
"Why were you sitting here while I was sleeping?"
"I was worried."
"What about Buffy and Willow?"
"They're upstairs and sleeping."
"I don't get it. Why didn't you simply tell one of them to look after me?"
"You're something special."
"Special? In what way?"
Giles simply looked at her. Something was wrong. First there had been this demon – and she still had no idea what had happened back there – then everybody had been talking in riddles and now Giles was doing it again. She had no idea what was happening.
"What do you know?"
"What do I know? What kind of question is that, Giles?"
"What do you remember from the time before you've woken up back in the cellar?"
"I told you, this is the first thing I remember from this universe. I haven't been here before."
"Kyla, I think something has happened to you when this demon attacked you. Do you remember what happened to Buffy? She thought that this universe was just a dream. No, you can't remember, of course not.."
"Are you talking to yourself? I know what happened. She thought that she was in a facility in Los Angeles and that this reality was just a dream. But in the end she decided that this was real and that saved her and she came back. But that's something different. I wasn't attacked by anything. I was simply daydreaming. And when my mother sent me to see the shrink it started to become real. Giles, I'm not crazy. This is real."
"Of course this is real. I just can't believe it. It sounds so unreal. Star Trek is something fascinating but it can never be real. Kyla, are you sure that you're not dreaming?"
"Dreaming? Of course not."
Tears of anger started to build in her eyes. Why didn't anyone believe her? Giles got up and sat down on the sofa beside her.
"There is no need to cry, Kyla. I know that this is hard for you. Even though it's hard I try to believe it. But before you judge me from what I say – listen to me. I'll tell you a story. Not just any story but your story. The past few months I spent with the Kyla I know. The last few months we spent together. The things you don't remember and the things by which I judge you. OK?"
Kyla closed her eyes and tried to stop the tears that were threatening to roll down her cheeks. She felt Giles hand at her neck and he gently pulled her towards her. Her head rested on his chest and she could hear his heart beat. He hugged her until the tears subsided. She felt better now.
"Do you want to go to the kitchen and have some tea or do you want to stay here?"
"If you don't mind I'd like to stay here," she said and sat up. Giles smiled at her and put his hand onto her chest.
"In there is the truth. You know it. And if it's true you'll find a way. Now, lean back and listen. Will you?"
Kyla nodded and snuggled herself into the blanket. Giles had a wonderful voice and she felt like a little girl who was sitting on the sofa with her father who was telling her a goodnight story. She was close to crying again but she concentrated on Giles' voice. He was going to tell her everything she needed to know about this universe.
"The day we first met wasn't a very happy one. It was the day your parents died. You were in hospital. Buffy got a call from the hospital. They said that her aunt and uncle were killed in a car accident and that her cousin was in hospital. She was the closest relative to you. She asked me to come along because she hated hospitals. She hated them since her mother died. So we drove there together with Willow. You were hurt badly but the doctors said you'd survive.
"When we visited you the first day you had no memories left except your name. You couldn't remember the accident or anything else that had happened before. When you were released from hospital Buffy decided to take you home with her. I was asked to take care of you by a social worker. You moved in here and the house you lived in with your parents was locked up. You weren't very cooperative at first. You blamed us for your unhappiness. You didn't want to accept that your parents were dead and that I should be responsible for you from now on. Willow and Buffy told you everything they knew about your past. But somehow you rejected everything. You were sitting in your room the whole day and were reading Star Trek books. You didn't go to school anymore and rejected anybody's attempts to get closer to you. Then after a few weeks Buffy suggested that you join her on her nightly watch. And suddenly you were a completely different person. You started to talk again and didn't read anymore. You practised with Buffy and went to school again.
"Willow tried a few spells to bring back your memory but nothing worked. We gave up on that. You didn't seem to care anymore and accepted me as your guardian. Then a few days ago I found something in an old book about a demon with healing powers. It was written that the person who summons the demon is granted a wish and then gets the demon's powers when he performs a sacred ritual in which the person kills the demon. The demon then should dissolve in flames and leave behind an amulet that inherits all its powers. The book said that the amulet could heal both the wounds in the flesh and the wounds in the soul. There was a picture in the book that described how the amulet and the demon looked. The summoning was very strict and there was also a description of all the things that could go wrong. Something as simple as a sneeze could ruin everything. And that was what you did. Involuntarily you changed the demon into something bigger. It is said that only the person who summons the demon can destroy it. Well, Willow summoned it but you sneezed. So both of you are responsible for it. Willow said it dissolved into thin air but left the amulet behind. It shouldn't have left the amulet. That's what's wrong. The demon itself should have turned into the amulet. You didn't help to kill the demon so the amulet shouldn't have any healing powers at all. I can't explain it myself but somehow it worked. At least for your wound. And I don't have the slightest idea why it attacked you. It should have bowed before you but instead it attacked you. Buffy and Willow went after it. While you were unconscious you were talking about someone named Scott. Can you imagine now why I didn't believe you?"
"What a story. I can't believe it either but I think I have to. The Kyla in your story doesn't sound like me at all. Guess I have to accept that as much as you have to accept that I'm neither hallucinating nor am affected by some demon."
"But what if it is a demon? What if all your changes are caused by an unknown demon?"
"What if it has something to do with aliens?"
"Nice attempt. You know I don't believe in extraterrestrial life. At least not yet. Prove me wrong but I like to remain with the demon theory."
"OK. Everyone believes what he or her wants until we have prove for anything. What time is it? Don't you have to sleep?"
"Half past two in the morning. Guess I could use some sleep. You coming as well?"
"I'm not tired but I guess a little sleep couldn't hurt. Somehow I'm afraid to leave this universe. I'm feeling save here."
"We could sleep on the sofa. I'll hold you tight and won't let go until you're back. I'll make sure you're safe as long as you're gone."
Kyla smiled. Something she had always been dreaming of. She snuggled into Giles' arms and closed her eyes. But sleep wouldn't come. Soon she heard Giles's regular breath and knew that he was sleeping. Her head was resting on his upper arm, his other arm was closed tight around her. He could feel his heartbeat and somehow she knew she would be safe until she was back in this universe. If she were in her own reality this would be a dream and she would wake up smiling. What a wonderful dream. She closed her eyes and dozed off.

***

She opened her eyes. Had this been a dream? Falling asleep in Giles' arms? If it had been a dream it had been a wonderful one. Where was she? Her head hurt and something warm was trickling down her head. She lifted her head and touched her forehead. Warm and wet - and red. Voyager. She had hit her head at the table when she had collapsed. She wanted to get up when she remembered what had happened in this universe.
"Ensign Parker to sickbay. Can anyone come and help me? This is kind of an emergency."
*I don't like this universe. And I definitely don't like to be Harry's girlfriend.*
The doorbell chimed and Ensign Paris came in. He looked quite annoyed but that changed when he saw her lying on the floor. He kneeled down beside her and ran his tricorder over her.
"From what the tricorder tells me you've been lying here for nearly two hours. But that can't be because you left sickbay only one hour ago. Can you stand up?"
"I'll try."
Two hours? About the time she spent in other universes. After leaving Voyager she had been with Jarod and Miss Parker on the plane, then with Michelle Parker, then aboard the Enterprise and afterwards in the Buffy universe. About two hours. But if she had been lying here would that mean that she was still standing in Michelle Parker's house with her red socks and her eyes squeezed shut? She grinned. Tom looked at her with a quizzical look in his eyes.
"Why are you grinning? What's so funny?"
"I'll tell you later. I have to talk to Captain Janeway."
"Janeway? Sounds important. But first we have to get you to sickbay. Lean on my shoulder and we'll walk to sickbay. Can you do that?"
"Sure. Don't you know how stubborn I am?"
"I sure as hell know and it took quite a long time to get over you if that's what you wanted to hear."
Kyla stumbled from surprise. She and Tom Paris? What kind of universe was that? Everything was getting more peculiar. She couldn't imagine herself being with Harry Kim but Tom Paris? Wasn't he involved with B'Elanna?
"What about B'Elanna?"
"We are married and I love her but being with you was something different. Do you love Harry?"
"I'm not quite sure. I think so. I can't tell you. You have to listen when I speak with Captain Janeway. I think things will be clearer then."
The turbolift doors opened and they stepped outside. Sickbay doors were only a few meters away. They opened and Captain Janeway stepped out.
"There you are. We've been waiting for you. I think we have a lot to talk about."
Tom and Kyla looked at each other and only shrugged. Kyla had no idea what Captain Janeway wanted to talk about but she hoped that she had the chance to talk to her about spatial anomalies. The Doctor treated her cut on the forehead while Janeway stood beside him without saying anything.
"Why did you break down the first place?" he asked.
"I don't know. I was standing at the replicator and wanted to go back to the sofa when my knees went wobbly. I tried to steady the cup and myself but it didn't work."
"There was no broken glass," Tom interrupted, "I didn't see any broken cup where she was lying."
"Go to her quarters and check that again, Tom. Doctor, would you please leave us alone? We need to talk."
He wasn't very happy but left them alone. Kyla was sitting on a bio bed Captain Janeway was standing in front of her.
"There is something I need to tell you. We have found something in your quarters that's not very pleasant."
"Has it something to do with an anomaly?"
"How do you know?"
"I need to talk to you as well. There are a few things you need to know."
She told her the whole story she had told Giles. She didn't leave anything out but told it in a different way. Janeway wouldn't understand the concept of Star Trek in itself so she just said that she changed places. Janeway looked curious.
"Have you ever tried to bring something from one place to another?"
"No, I have only just managed to change universes on my own will twice. The other times I fell asleep and woke up in another universe. What do you want me to take with me?"
"I thought about a padd. We could store all the information we collect about the anomaly and everything else on it and you could take it with you. If you're with Captain Picard you could work with him on a way back."
"You believe me?"
"I never believed in time travel before I had a voyage to the past myself and ended up in Earth's 20th century. But I do believe that there are an indefinite number of parallel universes. In each universe there exists a Kyla and you change places with that Kyla from the universe while you are there. At least that's what I believe."
"Sounds good. At least something I can work with. But when does my real self – the one that belongs here – come back? And how do I find a way back to my universe?"
"I'll ask Tuvok to store all information about the anomaly on a padd and give it to you. Please don't show the padd in a universe that's further back in time. I don't want you to draw attention on yourself."
"But why do you give me the padd then? I'm from the past. I am Kyla from the beginning 21st century."
"You seem to know a lot about our time and technology and I trust in you not to use it against us."
"That sounds fair, Captain. Do you think it would be possible to modify a transporter to bring me to another universe? I've heard about an incident aboard Deep Space Nine where such a thing was possible."
"You really know a lot. I could ask Seven and Tom to try. At least we could make sure that the padd goes along. But that will take some time. And we'll have to modify a communicator as well in case something goes wrong. You'd need a homing beacon so we can bring you back in case of an emergency. By the way, how are your legs?"
"Guess I'm getting used to it. They feel fine. Feel would be an exaggeration. I can walk and I think I should be content with that. Would you mind if I return to my quarters to conduct some research on my own?"
"Sure. I'll see to it that you get access to the main computer."
"Are you sure? I could steal technology from the future to bring home."
"I had hoped you'd ask that. And by saying so you proved that you had no intentions of stealing anything. And since you already know a lot about our time I'm sure you already know more that you are supposed to. Do you want someone to go with you?"
"Where is Tom? Is he still in my quarters searching for the broken cup?"
"Janeway to Paris. Where are you?"
"Still in Ensign Parker's quarters. I have found some things."
"I'm on my way."
"Let's go. I'll escort you to your quarters," Janeway grinned.
They entered Kyla's quarters only to find Tom crouching under the table. Kyla grinned and even Janeway smirked. Tom crawled from under the table and handed Janeway a necklace. She looked at it and gave it to Kyla.
"Do you know what this is? Has it something to do with the shifts or is it simply a necklace you lost?"
"This is the necklace the demon left behind. I have no idea where it came from. Anything else you've found down there?"
"A lot of things but no broken cup."
"What other things?"
"A padd, a pair of chopsticks and an old book."
"Sounds completely like me. I guess I'm the same person in each universe. What kind of book is it?"
"Looks like a diary of some kind. It's handwritten but I can't read it. It's not English. There you are."
He handed her the diary and sat down on the sofa. Janeway still leaned against the doorframe.
"Does it belong to you?"
"No but I know the handwriting. This belongs to Rupert Giles. I never read it. He kept it safe in his desk. I have no idea how it came here. The chopsticks belong to me – I used them for my hair-do. What's on the padd?"
She touched the screen. Nothing happened.
"Seems to be empty. Might be an old one I used. No idea. But that looks a lot like me. I'm a very chaotic type of person."
Janeway smiled, "That sounds exactly like the Kyla Parker I know. We'll leave you alone with the book. Just tell us if something odd happens or if you find out anything important. I'll ask Tuvok to bring you the padd with the readings from astrophysics and tell Seven and Harry to work on the transporter. Contact me as soon as something happens. Even if it's in the middle of the night."
"Yes Captain. I don't think I will got to sleep any time soon. Thanks for your help."
She nodded and left the room.
"Can I stay with you for a while?" Tom asked.
"Sure. I could use some company. Do you know how to retrieve the information that was last stored on the padd?"
"Yeah, no problem. Can you read the book? What language is it?"
"It's supposed to be English. It's just Giles' handwriting that's a little funny."
"Can you read it?"
"I'm trying. It says something about a demon that influences thoughts. No idea when he wrote that. His handwriting is terrible. A lot like mine," she grinned and Tom grinned back.
"How do you feel?"
"Good question. I don't know what to think."
"I mean, how do you feel after the accident on the holodeck? Have you had a chance to talk to Harry since?"
"No. He was there when I woke up in sickbay but I haven't seen him much since. To be true I don't even care. I'm too much into all this stuff to care about anything else. Would you like to have dinner with me? I'm quite hungry."
"At least something you can think about. But you still haven’t told me how you feel."
"Lonely. Lost. My head hurts. Enough?"
"Yup. And yes eating sounds fine. And while we eat would you care to tell me the whole story? I don't understand a thing."
"Right. You were here while I talked to Captain Janeway. Oh my. I think I should write a holonovel or a book so I don't have to tell the story over and over again. What do you think about nachos?"
"What?"
"Nachos."
"For dinner?"
"You can also prepare it like dinner with cheese, onions and meat."
"Sounds a lot like 20th century on Earth."
"21st to be exact. Guess you need to hear the story before we eat. Explains a lot."
She told her story once more but this time it felt wrong. It was the same story but she thought about something that she hadn't thought about before: How can a person from the 21st century know about all the people and the technology from this century? To her it was science fiction but to those people it was real life. So how could this be possible? Janeway hadn't asked her about that. She had just accepted the fact that she was here and that she wanted to go home again. How could it be that a person like herself – Kyla Parker – existed in this fictional universe? The whole Star Trek universe had come from the mind of Gene Roddenberry and had evolved during the years to a universe that lived in the people's minds. This couldn't be real, could it? How could it be real? This was the future.
Tom looked at her. Had he asked her something?
"Uuh, what did you say?"
"I was asking if you felt ok. You look as if your thoughts are anywhere but here."
"They were. Sorry. I'm fine. Just trying to sort out a few time paradoxes."
Tom grinned, "I'll leave you alone then. Don't do anything stupid. Tell us if you find out something useful from this book."
He pointed at Giles's diary. He got up and went to the door.
"See you soon. I'll tell you when I've found out what was on this padd before it got erased as soon as I find out. Bye."
The door closed and she was alone again. She didn't want to get away from this universe. Things seemed so clear and logical and she was closer to an answer than she had ever been since this journey began. She had to find out why she was here and why things happened. She sat down on the sofa and started to read. Giles' handwriting was plain and easy to read – she had no idea why Tom hadn't been able to decipher anything. She started reading from page one. This was Giles' third diary. It started with the day where Sunnydale fell into the hellmouth. It started where the series had ended. It was like reading fan fiction. It didn't seem real. She hoped that she's find a lot of things that would help her. After 5 pages her eyes grew heavy and she had to lay the book aside. She closed her eyes. She didn't want to sleep. Didn't want to leave this universe but she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer.

***

"Kyla, wake up. We're almost there."
"Almost there? Where are we? Where am I?"
"Calm down. You're safe. You're in a plane with Parker and me and we're about to land in New Zealand."
"New Zealand? What are we doing here?"
"Hiding. Hoping to find a home and living our lives in peace."
"I don't get it. Why New Zealand? Why now? Why aren't you two fighting each other? What did I miss?"
"You missed nothing. That's what we always wanted but weren't able to express until now."
"Nice for you. Where's Scott?"
"Scott? No idea. Why?"
"We left him when he tried to stop the sweepers back at the airport. Where is he?"
"As you said, we left him. Guess they took him back. He's an employee of the Centre anyway."
"He saved us and you don't even know what's happening to him?"
"Kyla, calm down. We'll find him. There's a house where we'll settle down for now and then we'll look for him. What's so special bout him?"
"He saved our lives?"
"OK. We can't go back right now. We'll find him from our new home. I promise. Now get dressed. It's quite windy outside."
"Where are we going to land and where are we going to live?"
"We'll land in Auckland and will drive to Taurua. There's a place called Cook's Beach. I have rented a house near the beach."
"I've been there before. This is a wonderful place to be. Do you have a car?"
"You've been to New Zealand? A car? No. We'll take a cab."
"A cab? This is approximately a two hours drive. Don't you think a car would be nice?"
"You know how to drive a car on the other side of the road?"
"It's been two years since I've been there. I wasn't allowed to drive back then."
"Sorry. I forgot. Do you remember the way?
"Sure. The way down there's easy to find. I wouldn't even need a map."
"That's great. I don't have one."
Kyla simply shook her head and took the clothes Jarod was holding in his hands. She looked at Parker who was sitting in her seat with her eyes closed.
"Is she alright?" Kyla whispered.
"I'm just tired. No need to whisper," Parker answered and opened her eyes. Kyla looked at the clothes. Jeans and a shirt. She looked at herself. She was still wearing her gigantic sweater and a pair of jeans with more holes than a golf course. Jarod sat down beside Parker and she hid herself behind the seats to get changed.
"I have no idea what to think about her," Jarod whispered to Parker, "she's strange and the story she told us back in the car sounds more like a dream to me than something she's been living through."
"You're a pretender, Jarod. Pretend to be her. Find out something about her."
"That's the job of a profiler."
"Then pretend to be a profiler. Where's the problem?"
"I'll wait until we're settled in Cook's Beach. We'll try then."
Kyla was finished changing her clothes. She had heard them clearly. They didn't believe her. She had feared something like that. At least they didn't put her in a loony bin straight away. She hoped she would find a way to prove it. A way to prove she wasn't imagining all this. But she was here, wasn't she? Wasn't that prove enough?
"How long have we been flying?"
"21 hours."
"What? I was asleep the whole time?"
"Yes. I think that was because of Lyle's drugs. Parker was asleep a long time as well."
"21 hours seems strange. Don't you think that's a little too long?"
"I tried to wake you a few times but you didn't react so I let you sleep. I was a little worried, yes, but Parker said that it'd be alright."
"OK. Everybody now sit down. We're going to land."
The landscape outside looked familiar. How often had she wished to be back in New Zealand. Now her dream was coming true.

Passport control held a few surprises for her. She had a New Zealand passport and Jarod was shoving them towards the VIP gate. There were no people there and they were quickly inside the baggage claiming area. Their baggage was waiting for them and Jarod handled the paperwork perfectly. They rented a car and drove away from the airport quickly. They had gotten a map and the man at the counter had been so kind and had marked them the way out of town. Kyla knew the way perfectly and within 2 hours they were standing in front of their house. They had a wonderful view on the beach and the ocean. It was even better than she had had in mind. The house was near the beach and from her room she had a view on the sea and the islands all over the bay. This was like a dream. Something had to be wrong This was too perfect to be true but she couldn't put her finger on it. Maybe it was a dream. Maybe this was due to Lyle's drugs as well and they were still inside the plane? She looked around the room that was supposed to be hers for now. Why was she here? Why had they decided to go to New Zealand? In her dreams she had always wanted to be back here and see the beach again. Maybe take a long walk towards Cathedral Cove and go swimming in the blue water. Now she could do anything she wanted. It seemed so unreal and so wrong. Everything she wanted became real. Everything she dreamed of became reality. This was wrong. Life didn't work like this. This had to be a dream. To her it felt like reality. IT was her reality right now. She wanted to wake up. This universe was worse than the others because it was so perfect right now. One universe was off her list. The Deep Space Nine one. She didn't know if there were more to come but she hoped not. She wanted to go home. But she didn't like the thought of a psychologist telling her to stop dreaming. Maybe she DID stop dreaming after this adventure was over. Maybe she would become a normal girl and become interested in the things normal girls did - like romance, dancing and other "normal" things. But wasn't she interested in those things? She loved Michael, loved doing ballet and dancing and she loved reading. Weren't those things considered normal? Maybe hanging out with friends. This was something she was not doing very often.
Well, maybe a little walk would help. She went downstairs and told Parker and Jarod that she was going for a walk to try to sort her mind and get some exercise after having slept for 21 hours and spending 2 hours in the car. They didn’t even protest. Jarod just told her to be home before sunset and Parker told her not to get lost. Both things weren't too hard to forget.
She closed the door behind her and walked down the hill. The street was narrow but there were only few cars. She reached the main road and followed it towards the beach. She took off her shoes and enjoyed the feeling of the warm sand beneath her feet. She walked towards the water. Seagulls were flying high above her and a fresh breeze was blowing near the water. This had to be a dream. She walked along the beach. She looked at her watch. It was only just 1 pm. Enough time to try the thing she had always wanted. There was a huge staircase starting at the beach which laid to the Cathedral Cove car park. It was supposed to be a 90 Minute walk. There had been another sign at the car park that said that it was another 90 Minute walk to Cathedral Cove. They had only needed 50 Minutes to reach the Cove. Maybe it was the same with this sign. She grinned. Nobody had told her to stay close to the house. She started walking towards the stairs when someone called her name. She stopped in her tracks and turned around. There was nobody there. She must have imagined it. She turned to walk again when she heard her name again. She stopped. She was still alone. There was nobody else. Alone. All alone with the waves and the sunshine. Maybe she was really crazy. She looked up at the stairs. They were higher than she had thought. Maybe those 90 minutes were right. But who cared. She needed some time to be on her own. Time to think and to find a way back home. And she wanted to enjoy the place she was right now before she had to leave again.
The stairs were higher than she had thought and it took her almost 90 minutes to reach the car park. She chided herself for not having taken something to drink. It was warm and the walking hadn't made it any better. She didn't care. She wanted to reach Cathedral Cove and be "home" before sunset. What would happen if she wouldn't be home in time? Would Jarod start to search for her? Maybe it was worth a try. She walked on. From the terrace at the car park Cathedral Cove was visible in the distance. Another hour and she would be there. The weather was wonderful. Much better than it had been when she had been here the last time. And there were no people around. It was as if she was all alone. What if something happened to her during her walk? Would someone find her?
*No thoughts about that right now. Enjoy the day and be happy to be in New Zealand,* she thought and walked on. Down the hill, up the next one, through a gate and over a plateau and through another gate, through a wild forest, down and up again and then there were stairs again. At the feet of the stairs she could see the white sand. On the walk she had seen no human. Just a few cows and birds. She took off her shoes and went down the stairs. The sun was shining even brighter when she stepped from the shadows onto the beach. Nobody. All alone. She smiled. She had taken her bikini with her. She took off her clothes and went towards the water. It was nice and quite warm. She swam out into the bright blue sea. She had a wonderful view when she turned around and started to swim back. She wished this moment would never end but it had to. When she came from the water she squeezed the water from her hair and sat down on the warm sand. A perfect afternoon. More than perfect. She laid down in the sand and closed her eyes. The sun was shining on her skin and warming her body. She didn't want to but she fell asleep after a while.
Chapters 26 -30 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 26-30

She opened her eyes. Had she fallen asleep in the sun? It had become dark. She was lying in someone's arms. No more beach. Another universe. But what universe was this? Oh, yes, Giles. She was lying on the sofa in Buffy's house in Giles' arms. No more Cathedral Cove in New Zealand. Sunnydale, California, United States of America. Buffy's home. In Giles' arms. What a change. But both things had been something she had always dreamed of. It was cold. Involuntarily she started to shiver. Giles' arms closed tighter around her.
"Are you awake?" he whispered.
"Yes."
"Have you been to another reality or have you been dreaming?"
"To two other realities. But things are getting funnier. Seems more like a dream to me now than reality. The universe that should be more realistic turns into a complete dream and Star Trek seems more real. But I think I have to tell you something. Your diary -"
"My watcher's diary? You've read my diary?"
"Uuh, kind of. I started to read one you haven't started to write yet."
She got up which allowed Giles to sit up and put on his glasses. It was starting to get light outside. The street lamps weren't burning anymore but still there was enough light inside the room to see. He stared at her.
"You've read the future? What did I write?"
"You haven't written anything so far. I can't tell you. I know more than you do about the things to come and I don't know if I have the right to change things that are going to happen. It might save many lives but I'm not allowed to do anything, I guess."
"Sunnydale will fall. The slayers-to-be will be killed and many other lives will cease. Don't you think you have a right to change that?"
"How do you know that?"
"Sunnydale? Death? Just a guess. But I was right, wasn't I?"
Kyla just nodded. How could she change the future? Should she dare to change what happened on TV? It would definitely safe many lives and maybe even Sunnydale. Would Giles' diary change when she started to change things here? Or was this some kind of time paradox that the diary already said what she was about to do? She didn't know. She was no expert on time travel and changing the past for the sake of the future. Or was she not changing the present? From the point of Star Trek it was the past. Time paradox. She didn't know. What would change? Would she change as well? Would she change in the future if she changed happenings now? Would the other universes cease to exist? Would be perfect. She'd have less universes to shift and her chance of getting home would be better. But what about her conscience? She would change at least the last season. But all of the Buffyverse came from the mind of another human. This wasn't real - was it? How could she change a world that only existed in other people's minds and on TV? Would she be able to change anything at all or would this simply change her universes? Would it change the universes or would everything just go on. If some people were right and this was a dream it didn't matter at all. In dreams there was no real and unreal. It was a dream. What if she was really shifting? Would things change? God, this was so complicated. She leaned against the doorframe.
"Are you alright?" Giles asked and jumped from the sofa.
"I'm fine. Just sit down again."
"Sure you won't faint?"
"Why should I? I was simply thinking through some possibilities. What if I change the timelines?"
"Will you notice? If you change the past the future changes as well and you don't know it because you think it has always been that way."
"You know about time paradoxes?"
"I'm just trying to. Does it make sense?"
"Yes it does. But still I'm not sure if I should tell you the things I already know."
"If you know what is going to happen? I'm not sure what's going to happen and I don't know if I want to know but if you tell me about it maybe we can find a way to sort things out. I don't want to force you into doing something you don't want to do."
"This is all so complicated," Kyla sighed and went to the couch. She sat down beside Giles and rested her head on her knees to think. She felt Giles' reassuring hand on her shoulder.
"We'll find a way. I promise. Maybe there's really a demon that is responsible for all this or maybe it has something to do with the thing that happened yesterday. I want you to wear the amulet even though I'm not sure what it does. Maybe it's part of all this. The demon will be back. And if this amulet really protects you -"
"Giles, leave this demon thing. I don't think it has anything to do with that. Let me try to find a way to sort things out first. I have to get used to the thought of playing God and changing the future first. PLEASE."
"Sorry, I didn't want to force you into anything. I'm still worried about the demon thing. Maybe we can talk it through with Buffy and Willow in the morning. Maybe they know something we haven’t thought of so far."
"Like a protection spell?" Willow's voice came from the door. "Good morning."
"Morning, Willow. No spells on me please."
"We'll see. There'll be way to find out everything about you and then we'll find a way to make things right."
"Wisely spoken, Will, and that before breakfast."
"Oh my Goddess," Willow grinned, "I have spoken like a psychologist and that before noon and a cup of coffee."
All three grinned and went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. When they had settled down with their cups Buffy came into the kitchen as well. She looked like she needed a couple of hours more sleep.
"Hey guys," she mumbled and let herself fall onto a chair.
"How was the night?" Willow asked.
"Thirteen vampires and a something I don't know anything about."
"What something?" Giles asked.
"Some kind of demon that acted like a vampire. It attacked me like vamp and tried to suck my blood. It dusted like a vampire. Maybe it was one on a Halloween trip."
Willow and Kyla grinned. Only Giles didn't look very happy but didn't say anything.
"Busy night," Willow stated and handed Buffy a mug with coffee.
Giles got up and left the room.
"What did I miss?" was the first thing Buffy asked as soon as Giles was gone - and she didn't look sleepy anymore. Kyla shot her an asking look.
"The two of you, cuddled together on the sofa. So, what did I miss?"
"Nothing. By the way, how do you know that?"
"I've come in through the front door. It was hard not to see anything."
"Oh come on, Kyla, admit it," Willow grinned.
"There's nothing to admit," Kyla pouted and got up. Willow followed her and put her arms around her. "Come on, this was a joke."
"Group hug!!" Buffy laughed and threw her arms around the other two girls. Willow and Kyla couldn't hold their balance anymore and fell to the ground. Laughing they laid there until Giles returned to the room.
"Did I miss anything?" he asked. The girls simply looked at each other and burst into laughter.
"You have to admit that it looks quite strange when three girls are lying on the floor without any obvious reason and burst into laughter when they are asked a question."
They grinned and got up. Each of the girls sat down in the kitchen, took their cup and pretended nothing had happened. As soon as they looked at each other they burst into laughter again.
"Calm down and concentrate. We have to work and find a way to help Kyla."
Buffy and Willow looked at each other and grinned. Kyla only sighed. Giles looked at them and shook his head at how childish those girls sometimes were.

"I know this sounds like science fiction but this is how I remember things," Kyla finished.
"We could try some magic. There are a few spells we could try."
"I'm not very happy with the idea of being bewitched."
"Protecting you, not bewitching you."
"Protecting me from what?"
"Getting caught in other universes. There are a few things we could try like a protection band around your wrist. It is magic, but you're just wearing it."
"We could try. I'm not sure if I can take it to another universe."
"What about your ring?" Giles asked.
"Ring? What ring?"
"You're wearing a ring. Did you wear it in the other universes too?"
"Oh, that. Sure. This is one I got from -- Do you mean I could take something else to other universes? Like bringing Giles' diary?"
"Worth a try. But let's start with the protection band first. I'll be upstairs and prepare everything. Is that alright with you, Kyla?"
"Yes, worth a try. As long as you don't cast a spell upon me to make me ugly I don't mind."
"I will cast a spell upon thee to make thee eternally mine," she whispered when she walked past Kyla. She grinned in return until Willow had disappeared in her room upstairs.
"What do we do now?" Buffy asked.
"Sit and wait and drink more tea," Kyla replied and leaned back.
"I'll be in my bed again," Buffy said an yawned. "I definitely need another couple of hours of sleep. You two don't have a problem with being alone together, do you?"
"Just go and don't say anything else," Kyla said but grinned. Now they were alone again. Had last night been a fatherly feeling and the need to protect her or was there more? If this was a dream and she wished it to be more, would there be more? I she didn't try she wouldn't know. But what if things got exaggerated as they usually did in dreams? *No. Don't wish for him to love you,* she told herself. *You do wish it or otherwise you wouldn't have told yourself not to do it.* She closed her eyes and leaned back.
"Are you alright?" Giles asked.
"Just a little headache. I'll be outside. I hope some fresh air will help."
"We need to talk. Can I come with you?"
"Sure. Is there something cold to drink in the fridge? I think I need something to really wake up."
"There should be some coke left. You haven't even touched your breakfast. What's the matter with you?"
"I don't know. Doesn't matter now. We need to find a way to solve this. I doubt that Willow's protection band will keep me from shifting but I think it will keep me from being able to end the universes."
"How can you be so sure that dying is the only way to get away from one universe?"
They were sitting next to each other on the porch with the sun shining brightly outside. Would have been a perfect morning if there hadn't been the shifting problem. Kyla tried to forget about everything and simply leaned back and enjoyed the sun. Giles sat beside her. A feeling she deeply enjoyed. Someone beside her, the sun warming her skin and nothing to do. So to speak. There were a lot of things that needed to be done but right now nobody cared. Everybody was thinking about finding a way to help her and she had people she could call her friends. This was a wonderful feeling. She didn't want to leave this universe. Things seemed so perfect here.
"What are you thinking about?"
"The world seems so perfect. How can this be? And somehow I feel different. Something's different. I can't tell you exactly what it is but is has something to do with my feelings."
"What feelings?"
"I don't know. I feel like I'm in love with everyone."
"I hope you're in love with me as well," Willow said from the door. "I'm finished. I've got the band. I have no idea what's going to happen when you put it on but it's worth a try."
Kyla looked at the green band in Willow's outstretched hand. It looked more like a gift wrapping than something that should protect her.
"What am I supposed to do now?"
"Sit down on the floor and stretch out your left arm."
Kyla did like she was told. Willow kneeled down in front of her. Willow told Giles to kneel behind Kyla to catch her in case something went wrong. Kyla didn't like the idea very much.
"Close your eyes."
She closed her eyes. She felt vulnerable. Willow took her hand and she felt Giles' hands on her shoulders.
"Relax, honey. It's gonna be alright."
She felt a tingling sensation at her wrist that spread over her whole body. Her head started to spin and she felt like collapsing. She was already sitting and felt Giles's grip tighten.
Then it was gone. Not only the funny feeling but also - everything. She opened her eyes. It was bright. Too bright for her eyes.
"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me." Her mother's voice. Her mother's voice? No. This was Willow's voice. She wanted to open her eyes to see what was going on but her eyelids suddenly seemed to weigh tons. The light she saw through her closed eyelids was getting darker until she was in complete darkness and silence. She opened her eyes and this time it worked. There was a light in the distance but it was fading. She heard Willow's voice again.
"Kyla? Kyla, can you hear me? Honey, please open you eyes and look at me."
She opened her eyes. The light was bright again. There was nothing except her and Willow. It felt like flying. Willow touched her hands.
"Hold my hands. It seems to be working. We need to get back into the real world."
"Real world? Where are we?"
"Your thoughts. We're inside your head."
"How do we get out?"
"Clap your heels twice and you'll be back in California," Willow grinned.
"I don't have heels. Isn't there something like 'kiss the girl' to bring us back?"
"You can try and wish."
Their lips closed over each others. The light faded and they were in darkness. As their lips parted Kyla felt the tingling sensation again. All over her body. It felt like falling. Falling ever deeper into eternity.

***

She slowly opened her eyes. She wasn't falling anymore. But it felt funny anyway. She was staring at a view port with stars streaking by her window. It had something in common with falling. The protection spell. Had it worked? She was in a Star Trek universe again. From the interior of her room she knew she was aboard the Enterprise NCC-1701 D. The last time she had been here had been a short visit. As far as she remembered she had been in sickbay. She had been told that she was abducted by aliens and that had caused a loss of her short time memory or something like that. She had had a talk with Dr. Crusher but that had been a few shifts ago. What had she been doing the last time she had been here? Looking out of the window. Right - that had been one of those peculiar shifts when she had simply turned around and had found herself in another universe. How much had she wished to remain in the Buffyverse. This had been a perfect place. Maybe she could make this place perfect as well. But first she had to find someone to talk to. Hadn't Dr. Crusher told her to contact sickbay as soon as something happened?
"Ensign Parker to Dr. Crusher."
"Everything alright, Kyla?"
"Kind of. I'm feeling OK but something else happened."
"Shifting again?"
"Yes."
"Stay right where you are. I'll be there with Geordie and Data. There might be something we can do about those shifts."
A few minutes later the doorbell chimed and Dr. Crusher, Geordie and Data entered the room along with two lieutenants from Geordie's team. They brought lots of equipment and stuff and Dr. Crusher ran a tricorder over her and the room.
"You've been to other universes and there are traces of an unknown substance in this room," Geordie stated and Dr. Crusher nodded.
"Yes, something definitely happened. The readings I took from her are stored in the computer. When I compare them to the ones I took just now it looks somehow funny," Dr. Crusher agreed. "The last readings were taken about an hour ago. They shouldn't be much different to the readings I took now. But it looks like it's more than 24 hours ago since I took the last reading."
"Can you tell that by simply looking at the cell structure? Wow."
"We should inform the Captain," Data said. "Does this belong to you?" he asked and gave her a book. Kyla looked at it. 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' by Joanne K. Rowling. Definitely hers.
"Yes, this belongs to me. Why do you ask?"
"The Captain loves printed books as well but I haven't seen a book that was that well preserved."
Right. In the series the books had always been old and worn with leather covers. This one was a simple paperback novel she had read a few times. It looked used but still quite new. Where did it come from? Had the Kyla from this universe (if the theory was right) liked to read Harry Potter? Would it still be famous in the distant future? She'd have time to think about that later - she hoped.
Captain Picard entered the room and everybody's eyes turned towards him.
"Ensign, I hope you're feeling better now. Geordie, Data, what have you got?"
"There's some kind of anomaly that seems to affect only Ensign Parker so far. We don't have prove for anything yet," Geordie explained.
"Correction, sir. We have this book. From my readings it has been printed only four years ago."
"A printed book? That sounds odd. Anything else?"
"Yes, the bio readings I took from Kyla. But I think you should know the whole story. Do you mind, Kyla, to tell the story again? I'm not quite sure if I can recall everything."
"It will take a while but I don't mind. Would you like to sit down in the meantime?"

Once more she told her story. She left a few things out - as always. Data seemed to store her every word in his memory, Geordie was already trying to think about a solution, Dr. Crusher and Picard listened carefully. Even though Beverly had heard the story before she seemed quite interested. Picard didn't seem to believe everything but he didn't say a word about it. He instructed Geordie and Data to work on a solution and asked Dr. Crusher to have an eye on Kyla. Kyla was relieved of all her duties aboard the ship for the time being and he asked her to stay in her quarters if possible. If this was really a kind of spatial anomaly they'd have more chances of finding if it was connected to her or her quarters if she remained in there for the time being.
"But didn't it occur before when I was in sickbay?"
"It did, she's right. Maybe it's only connected to her and it has something to do with the Monkanians who held her hostage," Dr. Crusher said.
Picard only nodded without saying a word.
"Everybody do your best. Ensign Parker, feel free to conduct a search on your own if you wish to but please remain in your quarters. Contact me as soon as anybody finds something that's close to a solution. I'm on the bridge."
Kyla wondered why she should conduct a search of her own when she remembered her blue science uniform. She seemed to have some knowledge in this field. If she had access to the computer she could look a few things up. If she only were alone.
"Kyla, we'll leave you alone right now. The box on your table is designed for registering spatial anomalies if they should occur. We'll know if something happens and we'll be there immediately," Geordie said and smiled at her before he left the room. Data followed him without another word. She was now alone with Dr. Crusher.
"I'm sure you know what you want to do right now?"
"I'd like to look a few things up. I have a theory of my own I'd like to test. And if there's really some kind of anomaly I'd like to try a few things. Otherwise I think I will try to rest a bit and read through a few files."
"OK, sounds good. Have a nice day and remember that you can call me anytime."
"Thanks, Doctor. I'll keep that in mind."
Dr. Crusher got up and left the room. Finally she was alone. What did the Harry Potter book have to do with the shifting? She sat down in front of her computer and filed through the stored books. All Harry Potter books were available as files and on demand even as real books from the replicator. She ordered the exact same book that Data had found in her room. The book itself even looked different. It had another cover. She took the tricorder from the table (was it her own tricorder?) and ran it over the old book. She had no idea how to work with a tricorder but it beeped and showed a few graphics. Then she ran the tricorder over the book she had just replicated. Even though she had no idea how to interpret all the things on the little screen it looked completely different. How had Data known that the book had been printed 4 years ago? He was a machine after all maybe this was part of his programming - or it was simply her who was not able to interpret simple tricorder readings. She grinned. On the TV screen things had always looked simple and had made sense. Now that she was in the middle of all this things suddenly seemed a lot more complicated. She hoped that the main computer worked with only voice commands even though she felt silly to talk with a computer. But it was worth a try.
She scratched her left wrist and stopped dead. She looked down. The green band Willow had given her with the protection spell was still there. It had worked. Maybe not the spell itself but she had taken something from one universe to the next. Maybe it worked with other things as well? Maybe she could take a padd with her? But sometimes she changed clothes so it was no use to put things in her pockets. Maybe some kind of microchip in a necklace? But where was her watch? In Star Trek universes she had no wrist watch while in other universes it was there. It was worth a try anyway. But how should she get out of here? She couldn't just pack a suitcase and walk through the door into another universe, could she? She had done it before but without the suitcase. Why not try? But she wanted to try the anomaly theory this time. If she just walked through the door she wouldn't know so she simply sat down in front of the computer and looked through the files until she felt like she couldn't take in one more bit. She leaned back. How much time had passed since she had come here? She wanted to look at her watch.
"Computer, what time is it?"
"It is 10.50 p.m."
Nearly midnight? She didn't feel like it at all but maybe it was time for sleep. She'd be going to another universe and wouldn't find out about the anomaly. Maybe it would occur when she fell asleep but she'd know when she came back 'in the morning'. She looked at the protection band on her wrist and smiled. Maybe it was because of the band that she had found out so much about spatial anomalies or maybe it was just sheer luck. She'd find a way back to reality. Some day, some way. Or she'd stay in these universes for ever - narrow them down to one and be happy there? Wait and see she told herself and went towards her bed. Before she laid down she stored as much information about spatial anomalies as possible on a padd and put it into her pocket. A little uncomfortable but worth a try. She pulled the blanket up to her chin and closed her eyes. The beds had looked much harder on TV than they actually were. She curled herself up and after a few minutes she fell asleep. Not really asleep. First she was in a black nothing. Like being in a bubble. No sounds and nothing to see and it was even hard to breathe. But she was somewhere. And where was somewhere?

***

It was still dark but something had changed. There was at least something. Where was she? It was dark and silent. There was a wall on her left and on the right and all around her. She was back on the Enterprise - stuck in a turbo lift. There were worse places to be. At least she was alone and had time to think. If only her head would stop hurting. T'Pol had told her to stay where she was. Had she disobeyed orders by wishing herself away? She didn't know and she found that she didn't even care. She just remained sitting on the floor waiting for help. So she had lots of time to think. In the darkness she fingered for the protection band. It was still there. She could feel it. But the padd she had put into her pocket before going to bed wasn't there. It hadn't worked. Well, maybe next time. She leaned back. Her head ached. Why was she here? Oh yes, the lift had stopped dead. And why was this? She hadn't asked yet and nobody had asked questions why she had been in there. She didn't know how she would be able to get out of the lift or when someone would find her but maybe this had something to do with spatial anomalies as well? Maybe it was an anomaly that caused the crash the first place? She had to ask T'Pol about it when she got the chance.
"Tucker to Ensign Parker. How are you?"
"Could be better. How long until I can get out of here?"
"Not much longer. I know you suffer from claustrophobia and that it's even worse in the dark but we're doing the best we can."
"Do you know anything about what has caused this?"
"We're not very far but we think that there was some kind of anomaly like in the Expanse that has caused this. How do you feel?"
"My head still hurts and it's dark in here. Hurry. Please."
He knew a lot about her. Maybe she was part of his team? Or they were friends? Or something else? A light started to shine in front of her. Right in front of her eyes. What was this? It looked more like a little Tinkerbell from Peter Pan than something that belonged to Star Trek. The light grew stronger and she could see it better. It was really a small being. And it looked exactly like Tinkerbell. It smiled at her. She scrubbed her eyes with her fingers. This couldn't be. She was in a Star Trek universe. Where did the fairy come from?
"I'm no fairy," the creature said with a high pitched voice, "I'm a Shiran."
"What is a Shiran?"
"A Shiran is a bringer of luck to those who need them. And you definitely need some luck. You're stuck in a cabin that itself is stuck in a tunnel and all around your ship there are Kinkans. You need luck as well as the rest of your crew."
"Why are you with me and not with the captain?"
"You asked for my help, didn't you? You thought about getting away from here so here I am."
"You can read my thoughts? Do you have a name?"
"I am a Shiran. Shirans do not deserve to have a name before one is given to them by someone they have helped."
"Doesn't sound fair to me. Everyone deserves a name."
"Oh, and yes, I can read your thoughts. Or at least I'm trying to. I'm not very good at it yet. If it makes you happy you may give me a name. But if I don't succeed in this mission the name is taken from me again. What is the name you wish to give me?"
"I give you the name Tinkerbell. Can we get out of here, please?"
"Your wish is granted. Where do you wish to go?"
"The bridge. We need to tell the Captain what's going on."
In a flash she disappeared from the turbolift but didn't end up on the bridge like she had wanted to. She was in that bubble again. The black bubble where she wasn't able to move or breathe. Tinkerbell wasn't with her either. She needed air. She wanted to breathe. She wanted to move!
And suddenly there were voices. Many voices. Something moved down her throat. She wanted to get rid of it. She wanted to pull it out. But suddenly she was able to breathe again. Oxygen got into her lungs again. Where was she. There was still darkness all around her and she couldn't move. But there were those voices. They kept talking but she didn't understand a word. It was like they were talking Chinese or Klingon. Not one word except her name an few times. Something pressed against her chest. Again and again and again in a steady rhythm. In between she was able to get some breath.
*Tinkerbell? Can you hear me? TINKERBELL!! I want to get away from here. TINK!!!*

***

She stumbled and fell to the floor. Her heels hurt. She looked around the room. Where was she? Where was Tinkerbell? She was back in her room in the universe where she had met Krystal and KB and where she was living with Michelle Parker. What a change. What had happened in between those universes? The bubble, the voices. She knew this rhythm. The rhythm of pressing on her chest. Five. Right. Five times and then she had been able to get some breath but only twice. Then the pressure had started again. This sounded a lot like CPR. But that would mean that she was dead in a universe. Was that reality? Was that where she wanted to go and wanted to be? If she was dying in the real world what sense did it make to return there? What had happened back there? What if it was the same that had happened to Terry Farrell? What if she had had an accident as well? But when and where? The last thing she remembered from reality was Dr. Greene and him saying that she had to spend some time in a closed facility. And after that? The next thing she remembered was Jarod who carried her away. There was no place for an accident, was there? But focus on first things first, she told herself. Her heels hurt. Did this mean that she had left this universe only for a few seconds? Did it matter anyway? She had wished herself away and it had worked. That was all that counted right now.
The protection band was still there. What was real? Tinkerbell sounded like a dream to her. Was she (or was it male?) real? She felt like she had watched too much TV. Too many times Peter Pan, Hook or The Return To Neverland. But the little creature had looked very real. Maybe it was herself who was going crazy. She had to stop thinking about things that belonged to other universes. She was in this awful universe with this Miss Parker who was not really Miss Parker. She had to get away from here forever. Maybe she could wish herself dead? Or she should really try this thing with the lake. She looked at her wristwatch which was miraculously back. 5.20 am. Parker would still be asleep. She unlocked her door and tiptoed down the stairs and out of the front door. Without thinking she started to run into the direction where the lake was in the real world. But what was real? She ran until she reached the lake. Now what? Simply keep on running until she was drowning or find something else? She heard a voice nearby. At half past five in the morning? Who would be up at this time?
"What are you doing up this early at the lake?"
Parker? At his time? Oh no! So much for her 'plan'. Why was she always there when you needed her the least? And why was she up this early in the morning?
"Needed some air," she lied. "What are you doing up this early?"
"Morning training. Some running, some stretching and some thinking. Getting ready for the day. How do you feel today?"
"Better, I think. Would you mind if I went swimming?"
"Do you feel up to it? The water's quite cold."
"That's OK. Exactly what I need right now."
"I'll stay around if something should happen. Don't press things. After what happened yesterday I'm not quite sure what to think about you, honey."
Kyla nodded and sighed inwardly. So much for her theory. Maybe if she swam right to the middle of the lake there would be a black hole or something else that would swallow her and end the world for her in this universe. But she was far from being able to end this world. Michelle watched her every step. Even though she loved the Parker character in the series this universe's Miss P. was unbearable. Maybe she'd find a way. She took off her clothes and went into the lake. It was freezing cold. She remembered a day when she had done the same thing. She had gone swimming in a lake that was freezing cold and because everybody had been watching her she had let herself fall into the water. Because of the cold her lungs hadn't been able to get oxygen. All air had been pressed from her lungs and she had nearly drowned. The water was up to her knees. It was quite cold. She jumped headfirst into the deeper water. The air was pressed from her lungs. It seemed to work. Then something was in front of her. A light. Tinkerbell? In the water?
"What are you doing?"
"Drowning."
She was talking underwater? She breathed. She was in the water. How could she be able to breathe and how did Tinkerbell come to this universe?
"You can't drown. I need you."
"You need me? Why? What are you doing in this universe?"
"I don't know. I came with you. If you drown right now I'll be stuck here. You need to wish me back.. Don't drown."
Kyla felt someone grabbing her by the arm and pulling her up to the surface. Had she been dreaming? Tinkerbell in this universe? It was Parker who was pulling her towards the surface. Had she been this far down? She had been breathing while she had talked with Tinkerbell, hadn't she? Suddenly she felt like drowning. There was water everywhere. She nearly panicked but found herself unable to move. Parker pulled her towards the shore and out of the water.
"Don't die on me, baby, come on, fight!"
She couldn't breathe and couldn't move. Parker began CPR. Was she dead? Was this what felt like to be dying? She saw Tinkerbell sitting on Parker's shoulder. Even though she didn't like this universe she had to survive. Hadn't this been what she had wanted? Dying? Never having to come back? But when she saw Tinkerbell she knew she had to fight. And there was the look in Parker's eyes. Lost, hurt, sad and absolutely gorgeous. Parker pressed air into Kyla's lungs and turned her to one side. Kyla coughed and the water came from her lungs. She was able to breathe on her own again. Tinkerbell was jumping on Parker's shoulder and clapping her hands. Parker cradled her in her arms while Kyla tried to get in as much air as possible. She was alive again but nevertheless darkness kept creeping towards her from all sides. She saw Parker smile before she lost consciousness and started to fall into darkness.
She kept falling for a long time and felt almost like Alice in Wonderland who was falling through the rabbit hole. Her arms and legs started to feel a little numb. And then there was this prickling sensation again. Like there had been when Willow had first put the protection band around her wrist. She had been with Willow in her own mind. She had kissed her and then the falling had started. She had gone to several universes. This felt like she was starting again. The tingling suddenly stopped and so did the fall. It was dark. She was lying in someone's arms. Still with Parker? She opened her eyes. She was looking up at Giles.
"You OK?"
Kyla nodded and tried to sit up. She felt a little dizzy but otherwise she felt fine. She looked at the band at her wrist.
"It worked. I've been to three universes and the band was there. I couldn't take other things with me but the band was there. There was something else. Seems unreal. So very unreal."
She felt Willow's and Giles' looks. They must think her crazy, she thought. No, she had to tell them about Tinkerbell because she was sitting on Willow's shoulder and watching the whole scene. Would she approve of it? Maybe Willow would know a way to bring her back to her own universe. And if she found a way to do it she could bring Kyla to her own universe as well. But which was real? If the one with the bubble had been real then she was already dying. There was no use in returning there. She had to try.
"There's someone who has come along with me."
"Where? Who?"
"I named her Tinkerbell because she looked exactly like the little fairy from Peter Pan. And as far as I know she is something like a fairy who grants wishes."
"Where is it?" Giles asked.
"She is sitting on Willow's shoulder. Can you see her?"
"No, I can't."
"I can," Willow smiled and held her hand out to allow Tinkerbell to step onto it. "She's absolutely gorgeous and really looks like Tinkerbell."
"Why can't I see her?"
"I don't want to be seen by men," Tinkerbell said to Willow.
"He's alright. He's really nice."
"Are you sure?"
"Absolutely."
Tinkerbell looked at Willow and jumped into the air. She shook her little wings and little stars began to spread around her. She sneezed and landed on Willow's hand again.
"Can you see me now?" she asked Giles.
Giles didn't say a word just stared at Willow's hand. He was used to ugly and deadly demons but he had never seen a fairy before.
"Are you OK?" Kyla asked and Giles nodded.
"I can see you, yes. What are you exactly?"
"I'm a Shiran. Normally people are not allowed to see me. But because this is my first mission as a Shiran I'm quite big. When I'm successful I am granted a smaller size. Each time I succeed I get a smaller size until I'm invisible to most living beings. This is what a Shiran wishes. Doing things without being seen."
"What about the thing with a name?" Kyla asked.
"We are not given names when we are created. The first being we are assigned to may give us a name if they wish. If the mission is successful we may keep the name. Otherwise the name is taken from us and we will grow. There are Shirans that are nearly your size. They have never been successful or have made major mistakes. I am not sure if I will be granted a downgrade but I hope things will turn out perfect for me. But why are you asking me all this? Why am I answering all this? This is not part of my job."
"Don't worry about that right now," Willow said. "We're just curious. We have never seen a Shiran before."
"I can live with that, I think. But we have to get back to where we came from. We have to finish what we started."
"Enterprise? We were on our way to the bridge, right?" Kyla asked and the others only stared at her.
"Right. Let's go. We have to finish this task."
"How can I just leave this place?"
"With me. You're simply coming with me and we'll be back. At least I hope so."
She shook her little wings and little stars began to spread around her again. This time they had a different effect. Kyla sneezed. The world disappeared in the shimmering lights Tinkerbell seemed to send out. She saw herself sinking to the floor. Everything was so huge. What had happened? She looked at Tinkerbell who was the exact same size as she was.
"What's happening?"
"I'm giving you my size so we can get to the other place where we came from. Close your eyes, things will go quite fast. And take my hand."

***

"She's back. She's back! Oh my God, she's alive!"
Kyla knew that voice. That was Dax. Was she back aboard DS9? But Terry had killed her, hadn't she? She opened her eyes. She was back to normal size again but she was in a universe where she had been killed. How could that be? And where was Tinkerbell?
"Sorry, darling, I couldn't," Terry whispered, "Julian was faster. Do you still want to leave? We could try again."
"There are other ways. You have to wish really hard and it works. Or you find yourself a good fairy and there are certain doors that lead to other universes."
"Are you alright? You sound rather - confused."
"I'm fine. I wish I weren't. I thought I wouldn't have to return to this universe again."
"We'll find a way. I'm sure. We could try again? At night and when Julian doesn't look. When everybody's sleeping."
"We'll find a way. I promise."
"Where is he?"
"Over there. He brought you to sickbay and revived you. You've been dead and I hoped that the misery had ended at least for you. I don't know what made him come over to your quarters. I think I will have to explain a lot of things to him and Captain Sisko. You were lying dead in my arms and I didn't contact sickbay. Sounds like a disciplinary hearing and rank reduction to Ensign or even worse."
"All because of me? I think I will have to talk to them as well and tell them the truth. But that means you will have to explain a few things as well. You have to start with the symbiont theory. Get yourself a tricorder to see if the symbiont is there. If it is I can tell my story the way I need it to be told. If it's not we'll have to make up another story."
"Well, I see my patient's alive and kicking again. How do you feel? And what the hell happened?"
"What do you want to hear?"
"The truth?"
She looked at Dax who had taken a medical tricorder and ran it over her belly. She mouthed "It's there" and smiled. Without making any sound she put the tricorder back where it belonged and came to stand behind Bashir.
"Julian, don't you think she needs some rest? We can talk about this later. Let me talk to her for a little while if she feels fit."
"We should ask her if she wants to talk to you. You haven't called for medical personnel when she was lying dead in your arms. Kyla, do you want to talk with her?"
"I think that's OK. We have a few things we need to talk about."
He shot her a quizzical look but left them alone without another word.
"He took it easier than I thought," Terry whispered. "You've been dead for a few minutes and you were out for about an hour. Where have you been? Have you shifted often?"
"I'm not quite sure. I think there were about 20 shifts since we last met. And the symbiont is really there? So you're Jadzia Dax?"
"Seems to be so. I'm not Terry Farrell anymore. Have you learned a few things about the realities and the shifting?"
"There is so much I have learned I don't know where to start. Do you know a race called Shirans?"
"No, who are they?"
"They are like little fairies from Peter Pan. One of t hem helped me to get from one universe to the next. Even though she has little problems because this is her first time. It works, though."
"You sound a little delusional. Do you know what you're talking about?"
"Sure. I'm trying to tell you how to get away from here. Just wish it to stop real hard. That should work as well."
"Sorry, but that sounds too far fetched to me. And where is you little Tinkerbell when you speak of her?"
"She has some trouble keeping up with me but I'm sure she'll be here soon. Maybe I should wish this universe to stop completely. You'd be back in the real world and I wouldn't have to return here."
"Sound easier said than done. But don't you think this conversation should be held in private? I think sickbay has ears everywhere. I don't want anybody to overhear this whole thing."
"I don't think I'm allowed to leave sickbay, am I?"
"I'll talk to Julian about it. I'm not quite sure if he lets me spend another minute with you alone in your quarters but I can try."
Jadzia/Terry smiled and got up. She walked towards Julian when Tinkerbell suddenly appeared. In a whirl of little twinkling stars and a sneeze she appeared right in front of Kyla's face.
"Hey there. Glad you found your way."
"You're hard to follow. What are you? Are you a Q?"
"A Q? No. I don't have those powers. Those shifts are not my intention they simply happen and there's nothing I can do to stop them. Can you help us?"
"Us? Who is us?"
"Later. Get inside my pocket and try not to move."
"I can make myself invisible and sit on your shoulder."
"Great idea. How do I know you're still there? Tinkerbell?"
The little Shiran was gone but s he felt a tugging at her earlobe. Jadzia/Terry came back and helped her up.
"He's not happy with it but we may go. To whom have you been talking to?"
"Let's go. I'll tell you later. What about the disciplinary hearing and stuff like that?"
"I don't know. I hope they forget about it sooner or later."
They walked through the corridors towards Kyla's quarters. Tinkerbell was still sitting on Kyla's shoulder and holding on to her earlobe. Kyla thought it a funny but also reassuring thing. She knew that Tinkerbell was there even though nobody could see her. When the doors of her quarters closed behind them Kyla felt a tickling at her ear and Tinkerbell was visible again.
"Terry, this is Tinkerbell, a Shiran."
Terry didn't say a thing just eyes the little Shiran suspiciously.
"You're the same as Kyla," Tinkerbell stated.
"What do you mean?"
"You feel like Kyla. Are you shifting as well?"
"Not anymore. What's this all about?"
"I told you there's a way. Tink, can you end this whole universe for us?"
"If I read your mind in the right way this is just your dream and not real. But how can this be? If I end this universe I grant you a wish. But I do things I'm not quite sure I'm supposed to do. Do you understand?"
"This is just a fantasy. It can't be wrong to end it."
"Your name's Terry, right?" Tink asked and Terry nodded. "Both of you sit down on the floor. It might be wrong what I'm doing but you've asked me to do. I don't want to know what happens to Terry afterwards but both of you seem to know what you want. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Sit down and face each other. Take each other's hands and look at me."
She hovered in the air between the two who were sitting on the floor. She murmured words in a different language and the well known stars appeared around her. There were more and more and more until they surrounded Terry and Kyla. More until they filled the room. More until they filled the station and even more until they reached the end of the dream world.
"Look into each other's eyes and wish this universe to stop."
She flew towards Kyla and grabbed Kyla's hair. Terry and Kyla looked at each other and smiled.
"I told you there was a way," Kyla said. "I wish this world to end."
"I wish this world to end", Terry echoed.
The twinkling stars Tinkerbell had created spread until the end of infinity and folded themselves back inwards. In a flash of light the universe that had held both Terry's and Kyla's fantasy ended.

The black bubble. She was still holding someone's hand. She could still feel Tinkerbell who was holding onto a strand of her hair.
"Hello? Anybody there?"
"I'm still here", she heard Terry's voice. "Is this the end?"
"This is the end, yes," Tinkerbell said. "This is where you say goodbye and leave. This has been your last universe, Terry, you're going back to your real world. Kyla has to come with me. She has to save the world."
"Sounds heroic. I hope you will manage to return to your reality as well. Thank you so much for helping me."
"You tried to do the same for me. I'm glad I could help. Hope to see you one day."
They squeezed hands and then there was a little light. It wasn't Tinkerbell.
"This is your homing beacon, Terry. Follow it and you'll be back."
"Thank you, Tinkerbell. I can't believe that this is the end. OK, gotta go."
She left. They let go of each other's hands and both Terry and the light were gone. Kyla was alone in the bubble again.
"Tinkerbell? Are you there?"

"Still there. Yes. OK, let's try to get back to where we wanted to go. Guess there are a few things I have to practice. Like these shifts. But I hope I don't have to do this too often. It is hard. But I will learn. I promise."
"It's alright. As long as nothing goes wrong and I don't end up inside out."
"Alright. Close your eyes. We're leaving."
Chapters 31 - 35 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 31 - 35

She opened her eyes again when she felt like she wasn't falling any longer. She was lying in the sand. The water had nearly reached her feet. How long had she been gone? There were no people on the beach, she was all alone. Tinkerbell was nowhere in sight. Had she managed to come to this universe or had she gotten lost on the way? Kyla hoped that she would find her way soon. She had so much gotten used to the presence of the little being.
The sun had nearly disappeared behind the horizon. Parker and Jarod would start to worry about her. Well then, she should get on her way back. She got up and pushed the sand from her clothes. She walked up the stairs. In her thoughts she was still aboard Deep Space Nine. Had she really been there? Had she really managed to end this universe for herself and Terry Farrell with the help of Tinkerbell? Was Terry Farrell back in the real world now? It sounded unreal. But didn't everything sound unreal at the moment? What was real anyway? She had reached the top of the stairs and caught a last glance at the beach before it vanished from sight. She sighed and walked on. The sun had disappeared behind the horizon and it was starting to get colder. Parker and Jarod would really start to worry about her. At least she didn't have to walk the whole way back to where she had started her walk. Only two hours and she would be back at the house. She had to grin inwardly. Two hours seemed quite long but somehow it didn't mean anything. She had two hours in this universe at least and she had much time to think about everything that had happened so far. She only wished she had some company. Tinkerbell maybe or even a dog would be nice. Maybe it would work if she only wished hard enough? A nice dog to accompany and protect her. A cream colored Labrador maybe? In the distance she heard the barking of a dog that came nearer with the time passing. A cream colored Labrador came running towards her. So this had to be a dream. All the things she had thought to be reality had to be a dream. But how to stop the dream? The dog stopped in front of her and looked up. There was something glittering at its collar band. The glittering came from Tinkerbell. She had finally managed to come to this reality as well. So, was it still a dream or reality after all?
"Tinkerbell, is this real? Am I not dreaming?"
"Dreaming? Why? Didn't you ask for a dog to keep you company? You know, it's getting harder to keep up with you every time we change. And still we haven't managed to go where we started. It's really getting frustrating now."
"Don't worry, Tink, we're getting there eventually. We only have to wait."
"But it's my job to get you there the first time."
"By the way, does the dog have a name?"
"No. Why do you need a name for everything?"
"It is customary for my species to give everything a name."
"You don't have to earn yourself a name?"
"No. We are given a name when we are born and keep that name until we die."
"Funny thing. We are not given a name. Most of the time we are alone. We don't need a name. Normally we are invisible to the people we help. Are you in a hurry?"
Kyla looked down on Tinkerbell who was sitting on the dog's back and shook her head. Tinkerbell looked like a little queen on her horse.
"Then why are you nearly running?"
"Oh, I should have been home before sunset. Just thought that if I walked faster they wouldn't worry too much."
"Then you are in a hurry," Tinkerbell stated.
"OK, I am. But don't try to speed things up. I will arrive home eventually."
"I can't help you at the moment. I need some rest before I can help you again. My resources have been strained too much. Will you manage without me? And please don't tell anyone that I failed you."
"You didn't fail me, Tinkerbell. I don't know what I'd have done without you. You saved me a lot of times and I have to thank you for that. You can rest as long as you like. I know enough ways to change universes. Take your time. I wouldn't even mind if you stayed in this universe until I'm back if it helps you back to your full powers."
Tinkerbell looked up at her and shot her the first smile Kyla had ever seen upon the Shirans face. She smiled back. The dog kept trotting by her side and suddenly she had a name for the dog in her head. She wanted to call the dog Tony. She stopped and so did the dog. She crouched down and looked the dog into the eyes.
"Do you like the name Tony?" she asked the dog and it seemed to her that the dog nodded in agreement. She smiled and patted the dog's head. Then she went on walking. She had to be home before they would start a big search for her. That was the last thing she needed. They had worried enough about her. She wondered if Lyle's drugs were completely out of her bloodstream or if anything was still affecting her. It seemed so far away as if being in the Centre had been a bad dream.
She had already reached the car park and in the distance she could already see their house. She asked Tinkerbell to make herself invisible but she only shook her head and said that she didn't have enough power left to do so. Kyla took the little Shiran and put her in the pocket of her jeans. Tinkerbell protested that it was too dark and not enough space for her but she had no other choice and tried to make herself comfortable.
Kyla wondered what Jarod and Miss Parker would say if she brought the dog with her. She hoped that they would allow her to keep the dog. She couldn't just let him walk away on his own, could she? Jarod loved dogs - or at least the actor did but Jarod had no idea that he was just a fictional character from a TV series and she had no intentions of telling him. Or had she already told him? Things had gotten out of control lately and she had no idea what she had been telling whom or what she hadn't told someone. She needed some time to sort things out. But what use was there in making notes if she couldn't take them with her to other universes? Maybe she should start keeping some kind of diary and write those things she had said in each universe down? One diary in every universe? Sounded complicated but certainly a good idea.
Someone came running towards her. It was Jarod. He looked really worried and even a little angry. She prepared herself for the worst.
"Kyla? Kyla, are you alright?"
"Yes, I'm fine. Sorry, I'm late."
"That's not the main problem. There have been some aftereffects from the drug. Parker collapsed and has been brought to hospital. I feared that you'd suffer from the same things. Are you feeling OK?"
"I'm feeling fine, really."
"Come on, we have to hurry. I don't want Parker to be alone too long in the hospital. I had hoped you'd be home earlier."
"You're not angry with me for being late?"
"No. Things happen. I'm glad you're fine. Who's dog is it?"
"I don't know. He came to walk with me on my way home. I named him Tony."
"You can't keep him, you know that. Let him go. Go to your room and grab some things from there. We're leaving as soon as possible. It's an half hour drive to Thames."
Kyla nodded and went to her room. She hadn't even unpacked the suitcase yet. She took Tinkerbell from her pocket and put her down onto the bed. Tinkerbell seemed asleep. Kyla hid her under the blanket, took her suitcase and left the room. She walked to the front door. The dog was still sitting there and waiting for her.
"Go back to where you belong. I wish I could keep you but we're leaving again. Sorry, little dog."
She patted the dog's head and looked at Jarod who was already waiting for her. He hadn't told her exactly what had happened to Parker. She knew that Parker wasn't easily brought down and she was starting to get worried as well.
"What happened to Parker?" she asked when she was sitting in the car and Jarod had started to drive down the road. He didn't answer immediately. He kept staring onto the road. "Jarod? You alright?"
"She said she felt sick and went to the toilet. When she didn't return I went looking for her and found her unconscious on the floor. She drenched in sweat and was shivering violently. I called a doctor because I couldn't do anything for her without medical equipment. They brought her to hospital in an ambulance. If you had been home we could have come along right away. If you feel sick and if it's only a slight little bit you tell me immediately."
Kyla only nodded and stared out of the window. They drove in complete silence. No word was said and the radio was turned off as well. Both were deep in their thoughts. She didn't like the prospect of getting ill. She hated being ill and she hated hospitals. And she was afraid. Afraid that Parker might die and that she'd get ill as well. She closed her eyes and saw Myra's smiling face and Lyle's evil grin before her inner eye. They had done their job properly. Resisting their retraining was not a subject. Those who resisted had to be punished and that seemed to be part of the drug. Maybe that was why they had gotten out of the Centre without anybody following them at first. Maybe they hadn't been following them at all? They must have known that the plane was waiting for them and they could have easily tracked them down. Why hadn't they shown up yet? To be true she was thankful that they hadn't shown up but she feared that they would find them eventually. But if the drug really had this side effect of killing those who resisted it then it wouldn't matter, would it? She felt sick at the mere thought of Lyle's evil smile. She was feeling sick? No way, this couldn't be. She leaned against the window. She didn't want to admit that she was afraid or that she was feeling sick. No way. This couldn't happen. She wasn't feeling sick, was she? Jarod looked at her from the side. From the look in his eyes and the way he changed his way of driving she could tell that he had seen something she wasn't ready to admit yet.
"Why didn't you say anything?"
"I'm afraid."
He put his hand onto her forehead. Kyla shivered. Had Jarod turned on the air conditioning in the car? It was awfully cold in here.
"You're burning. Try to remain calm. Breathe regularly. No hyperventilating. Try to relax. We'll be there soon."
What was he talking about? She was freezing and somehow breathing was starting to get harder. And then there was this feeling inside.
"Can you stop? Please stop the car."
Jarod's eyes traveled over her body and onto the road. He pulled the car onto the gravel and stopped. Kyla opened the door and jumped outside. She coughed and tried to remember what Jarod had said. She tried to steady herself but the world started to spin. She felt Jarod's arm around her waist and his hand on her forehead. Even though she couldn't remember having eaten something she had to throw up. Jarod was holding her as the world started to turn more violently. It was still so cold even though she was standing in the direct sunlight. Jarod helped her back inside the car.
"Breathe. Breathe slowly. You're starting to hyperventilate. Try to hold your breath a few times. And calm down. Please, Kyla, calm down."
Kyla looked at him. She tried to slow her breath but it was getting harder with every minute to get enough oxygen into her lungs. She felt like suffocating and tried to breathe faster. Before he started the car Jarod pulled a small oxygen tank from the trunk and pulled the mask over Kyla's face. When he was on the road again he drove much faster than 100 kmph which was the top speed in New Zealand. He didn't care. He didn't care anymore. He had a girl next to him who was suffering and a good friend in hospital who was dying. That had to suffice as an excuse if they tried to stop him.
They didn't try to stop him. He reached the hospital without being interrupted. He stopped directly in front of the front door. Kyla was barely conscious. She looked at him and tried to smile. She was shivering and her forehead was covered with cold sweat. He carried her from the car into the building.
"This is an emergency. Help me!" he screamed.
A nurse came and directed him towards ER. The doctor who came looked down at Kyla.
"There has been a woman with the same symptoms earlier today."
"I know her. Miss Parker. These are the exact same symptoms and I'm sure they have the same origin. Can you help her? How is Miss Parker?"
"Miss Parker is in a deep coma and this young woman looks like she's on the best way to get there as well. Is she still conscious?"
"She was when we left the car. Kyla, can you hear me?"
Kyla slowly opened her eyes. Her vision was blurred but she could see Jarod. He was talking to her. Was this what if felt like to be dying? Was she dying? Was Parker already dead? Would she die? A doctor came to stand beside Jarod. A nurse was fixing an intravenous bottle and the doc was doing something with a syringe. Were they drugging her again? She felt Jarod's hand on her forehead. She tried to remain conscious. She was laid onto a bed and wheeled through the corridors of the hospital. The lights were flashing by like she was sitting in a roller coaster. She didn't dare to close her eyes for longer. The bed she was lying in was put in the same room as Miss Parker. Kyla tried to turn her head to get a closer look. Parker was hooked to many machines and a nurse was doing the same to her. Jarod had come along and was standing against the wall. It became harder to concentrate with the minute even though breathing seemed to be getting easier.
"How do you feel?" Jarod asked with a concerned look on his face and took a seat.
Kyla tried to answer but her voice didn't seem to be obeying her command. She only nodded faintly. Jarod looked at Parker's unconscious form. She seemed so frail and almost like dead. He looked back at Kyla. She had her eyes closed and her breath was rasping.
"Kyla?" he whispered. She didn't answer. She had fallen unconscious.

***

Someone was shaking her by the shoulders. She was still alive? Oh, right. She had changed universes. Had she just died? Had this universe with Jarod and Parker just ended? Where was she? She opened her eyes and looked at Jarod. Jarod? She looked around the room. Chicago. The other Pretender universe. She hoped that she'd get used to those shifts between the Pretender universes. It was easier to shift between different universes. Back to Star Trek might have been a lot easier.
"Sorry to wake you. We have to go. Where have you been?"
"Many universes. I have lost count. No idea how many I've been to. What time is it?"
"Time to go. Can you feel your legs?"
"No. How long have I been sleeping?"
"A few hours. You can try to sleep in the car. Don't forget your wig."
"If we have to keep up this masquerade for much longer I think I'll dye my hair. I hate wigs."
"Sure, we can do that once we are in our new hotel," Kira said.
Jarod helped her sit up and lifted her into the wheelchair. It felt funny after having spent so much time walking in other universes. She had to get used to it again. Somehow she felt the urge to jump up and run around. But her legs were without any feeling. If she tried to jump up she would fall to the ground - if she'd managed to jump up at all. She tried to remember what had happened in this universe. They had wanted to meet with a Profiler, with Rachel Burke, but she had been attacked by someone from the Centre - or so Jarod assumed. Now they were fleeing from Chicago to meet with another Profiler, with Samantha Waters. They were fleeing from the Centre's people and she didn't even had the chance to run away. She hated Jarod's idea. She hated herself for not being able to walk and she hoped that this would be over soon. And she hoped that Tinkerbell would soon be herself again and would come to her rescue. But if Tinkerbell hadn't even been able to make herself invisible it would take quite a long time for her to recover and gain back all her strength. She had to get along without the little Shiran for a while. It had worked before and it had to work again.
"We have to be much more careful now, Kyla. There has been a picture of you on the news. People are looking for you all over the country. Please try to act as inconspicuous as possible. Try not to draw attention to yourself by doing something stupid," Jarod explained while he was finishing packing the suitcase.
"Easier said than done. A girl in a wheelchair attracts a lot of attraction. Everybody is staring at me. I hope nobody starts to ask questions. Don't you have colored contact lenses for me? Blue eyes and brown hair looks funny. If my eyes turn to brown it should be harder to recognize me."
"Nice idea. But where do I get something special like that?" Kira asked. "I'm the only one who can walk around Chicago without anyone looking at me."
"An optometrist should provide you with everything you need. And don't worry about the money. The Centre has enough of it," Jarod grinned and handed Kira his purse. "And Kira, hurry, we need to get away from here soon."
"And bring some hair color for me as well, please," Kyla added and Kira left the room. "Don't you have a book for me to read? I have nothing to do and can't even go for a walk when I'm bored."
"We could talk about some things you and I need to know. I haven't told you everything yet. One thing is Rachel. There was this truck that tried to crash her car and the truck driver also had a gun and tried to shoot her. I haven't had time to tell you yet. We have to hurry and we have to be really careful. If they even shoot people we are in danger. Not only me but everybody who is with me. Maybe the police is searching for me as well, I don't know. If the Centre has actually called the police for help you're in greater danger. Then both are searching for us. I don't like it but I have to wear some make up as well. I'll grow a beard and dye my hair even though I hate the prospect of doing such a thing. But maybe it helps."
There was a knock at the door and Kira stormed back inside.
"We have to go. Hurry. There are people downstairs who are searching for Kyla."
"But if they're downstairs isn't it dangerous to go down right now? Or do you think they'll be searching the rooms?"
"They are preparing to search the rooms. Someone claims to have seen you entering the building. It's a fake but a good guess. I heard him say that you walked though those doors last night. Jarod, is there a backdoor where we can get out of the building without being seen?"
"Not that I know. We could leave through the hotel garage but we had to cross the entrance hall first."
"Less suspicious than packing things in our car in front of the huge front doors, don't you think? I'll go down and park the car in the garage. I'll come and get you then."
"No. You stay up here. You have to prepare Kyla for the trip down. Remember what I told you last night. Sorry, Kyla. It's for your own good."
Kyla looked from Jarod to Kira and back to Jarod. She didn't know what they had planned but she didn't like the sound of Jarod's voice at the moment. Kira sighed and nodded. Jarod grabbed the large suitcase and the car keys and left the room. Kira sat down on the bed in front of Kyla's wheelchair.
"I don't like it either, honey, but it's for your own good."
"What are you going to do?"
"You know I'm a doctor, do you?"
"Yes, I know, you told me. What are you going to do?"
"I don't like to do this to you but it won't hurt at all."
"WHAT ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO?"
"Ssh, don't talk too loud. People might hear you and alert the hotel staff. Listen to me. This is only temporary and lasts for about one to two hours. It is some kind of sedative used with eye surgery. It sedated the eyes and its muscles. You won't be feeling anything and you won't be seeing much. But your pupils will dilate as wide as possible. The blue from your eyes will be nearly gone."
"You're making me blind? I can't walk and now you want me to be blind? What else are you planning?"
"There are a few backup plans. This was one of them. I don't like it very much either but there's nothing that can go wrong. The anesthetic will wear off after a few hours. I promise. It's nothing more than eye drops. They don't work immediately it takes a few minutes. So I apply the drops right now and until Jarod returns they will have taken affect. Don't worry."
"I need to go to the toilet first."
"You can do that afterwards. You won't be completely blind. Lean your head back."
She grabbed a small bottle from her pocket. With her fingers she gently opened Kyla's eyes a little wider and administered a few drops into each eye. She held the eye open for a few seconds so the substance could spread in the eye. When she let go of Kyla's head she blinked rapidly. It didn't feel different to normal eye drops but her vision started to blur.
"Don't panic. Things will be back to normal soon."
"Panic? You're kidding, are you? I can't run away from this because my legs don't work and I can't see if someone wants to attack me. And if someone attacks me I can't run away. I'M STUCK WITH YOU!"
"You are panicking," Kira stated, "Please keep your voice down. There's someone in the corridor. They might hear you."
"I'm not panicking. I'm just - panicking. God, this is weird. Give me something to dug my fingernails into or I'll start to scream. I'm trying not to panic, I promise."
"If you panic - there's always a backup plan."
"You're gonna sedate me, right?"
"Kinda, yes. So please remain calm, OK?"
A noise from the door made them look up. The door opened and Jarod came inside. Kyla could only see his outlines. It was like being inside a huge nebula and everything was blurred and it was getting worse. Because the pupils were dilated she couldn't focus anymore.
"Brave little girl," Jarod whispered into her ear. "But I'm sure you don't want to see what's going on in the entrance hall. People are acting really weird down there. Remain calm. You're starting to panic again. Kira, take the suitcase over there. Kyla, hold that bag for me, will you? Do you think you can manage this?"
"I'm trying. It's so weird. Is this really me? Am I really Kyla Parker?"
"No, you're Gwendolyn Lewellyn. No mo re talking, we're leaving. Nothing left behind? OK, here we go."
Kira opened the door and they stepped onto the corridor. A few people were standing in front of the elevator. They looked at Kyla but she didn't realize it. She was holding onto the bag Jarod had given her without knowing what it was. It was her anchor. Someone's hand squeezed her shoulder.
"You alright, honey?" Kira's voice asked and Kyla only nodded. The elevator doors opened and the people stepped back to let the police officers out. Kyla didn't see them clearly. Just three huge men in dark clothes. Their eyes ran over the people standing in front of the elevator and then they walked away. A man motioned Jarod and Kira to get inside the elevator first and he gladly accepted the offer. They had survived the first check. The police officers hadn't noticed anything and they were obviously only searching for the girl and not for him. A few more people squeezed inside the elevator and then they went down. They were like a huge group coming from the elevator. Nobody seemed to be looking at them. Jarod was thankful that they were the last people coming from the elevator. They had a few people to hide behind. They walked briskly through the entrance hall and into the garage. Jarod lifted Kyla from the wheelchair and carried her up the stairs. Kira took the chair and carried it upstairs. When they had reached the car Jarod put Kyla down in the backseat of the car.
"We managed it. We have reached the car. Let's hope we get out of Chicago in one piece. Kira, have you seen anything strange?"
"Sorry to spoil your cheeriness. There was a sweeper team in front of the main doors. Give the front seat to Kyla and hide yourself on the backseat under those blankets. I'll drive the car. Where are we going?"
"South. Ohio. We're meeting Sam in a café in a small town called Findlay. I'll stay hidden until we're out of town. Kyla, are you alright?"
Kyla nodded while Jarod lifted her from the backseat and sat her down beside Kira. She fingered for the seatbelt while Jarod sat down in the back. He took the jackets and curled himself up covering himself with everything he could find. Kira looked into the mirror.
"It looks somehow conspicuous. Kyla, give me your bag or toss it back yourself. How are your eyes?"
"Worse than ever. I can't see anything. It feels so weird. Can we go now?"
"You're panicking again. Now toss the bag in the back."
"Ouch."
"Sorry Jarod," Kyla grinned and leaned back. She was afraid to close her eyes. She hated being helpless. She hoped that her eyes would be back to normal soon. She saw a light coming up to them.
"OK, there's the exit. Let's hope they don't see us. Kyla, hold on to something this might be a rough ride. And Jarod, you should find something as well, they're coming over here."
One of the sweepers came walking towards their car. Kira pretended not to see him and kept driving towards the road. Another car let her into the steady stream of cars and even the traffic lights seemed to have mercy on her. It went as smoothly as possible. In the rear view mirror she could see the sweepers talking and waving towards her car before she turned around the next corner. She knew they were discussing their car and the possibility that the were going to follow them were extremely high even though she had no idea how they could know that they were hiding something. There was heavy traffic all over Chicago and when they had nearly reached the highway Kira caught a glimpse of a black Lincoln behind them.
"They are following us," she stated. "Steady yourself, we're going a little faster."
"No, don't," Jarod's muffled voice came from the backseat. "That would arouse their suspicion. Just keep on driving like you normally would. No need to draw their attention towards us. Let them overtake if possible. If we start to drive faster they will follow us like a bird its prey. Act like any normal person."
Kira nodded and kept driving. The Lincoln came ever nearer until it was behind them. They were driving up the ramp to the highway with the black car right at their tail. Kira watched them discussing and tried not to draw any attention towards their car.
"Can they stop us like the police?"
"No," Jarod muffled.
"Can you drive a little slower? I think I'm starting to get sick."
"Can we dare to stop the car?"
"Yes."
"Not yet, Kira. I can do for a few more minutes. Are they still next to us?"
"Right behind us. How are your eyes? Can you feel your feet?"
"My eyes are not changing but I think there's a prickling in my toes but nothing distinct yet. Can you stop? Please?"
Kira pulled the car onto the right lane and onto the gravel. She jumped from the car and ran around to help Kyla. Jarod remained hidden under the jackets even though he would have liked to help.
"Sorry I couldn't walk away from the car," Kyla apologized and took a gulp of water from the bottle Kira had given her. She tried to rinse her mouth from the bad taste that was left. She leaned back in the seat and closed her eyes. Kira dabbed her forehead with a wet cloth and helped her sit up right again. She sat down on the driver's seat and started the car again.
"The black Lincoln is gone. Maybe they're waiting for us further down the road but I hope they have given up. Kyla, are you feeling better now?"
"If you can leave the window open I think it'll be OK. What about Jarod? Can't he sit up again?"
"Not yet," Jarod said, "I'll stay down for a little longer. Maybe they'll be waiting."
They drove on in silence. Kyla leaned against the window and held her face into the fresh air. She had never been able to close her eyes while being in the car when she wasn't sleeping and not being able to see didn't make things better. But it seemed to her that things were getting clearer. It had been about an hour since Kira had administered the sedative to her eyes.
"Can it be that my eyes are getting better? I think things are getting clearer."
"About one hour, yes, that can be. But it will take a while. What about your legs?"
"There's a tickling in the middle toe on the left. I hope this means I will be able to walk again?"
"There's the Lincoln," Kira suddenly said.
"Where?" Jarod asked. Kyla simply stared at the same spot she had been staring at the whole time. She hadn't seen anything.
"On the other side of the road. They're driving back. You can come from hiding. They're gone."
"How are you feeling, Kyla? Are you fit enough to survive about 6 hours of driving?" Jarod asked.
"If my eyes are getting better I think I will manage, yes. Can't we stop until my eyes are working? By the way, I'm starving."
"Nice idea," Kira said, "I'd like some breakfast as well."
They stopped at the next roadhouse and got out of the car. Jarod lifted Kyla into the wheelchair and they went inside. People were staring at them as always. Kyla was oblivious to the danger they were in. Jarod chose a table in a distant corner of the room and tried to hide the girl in the wheelchair from most people's eyes. He didn't want to give them a closer look at Kyla. There might be someone who recognized the girl from the news. She was officially kidnapped and people were searching for her. They ordered breakfast for three and Jarod leaned back.
"We have to hurry. I'm not sure if our masquerade will work every time. People might recognize Kyla. There's a picture on the news at the very moment," he said after looking at the TV set for a second.
"What kind of photo?"
"The one from your ID. That's how it looks."
"I always thought this picture doesn't look like me at all. I don't think people will recognize me from that. But who knows. Did they say anything else?"
"I don't know. I just saw your picture. I don't want to arouse suspicion. They might remember me when I go talking to them. We have to wait until tonight. I think we'll have a TV in our room. I've booked a motel room for the three of us. I hope you can live with that."
"Sure. Another night with the two of you won't do me any harm and I need your help anyway."
Their breakfast arrived and without another word they started. Kyla had difficulties finding her plate and the food. She asked Kira to help her. She had no idea how but it worked. Kira cut her pancakes in pieces and handed her the fork. With one hand she held the plate and with the other she managed to get the food to her mouth. It was like eating with your eyes closed but somehow it worked. When she was finished her sight had become a little better and she hoped that she could see everything by the time they had reached Ohio.
Kyla was already sitting in the car and Jarod closed the door. He held Kira by the arm and stopped her. Kyla didn't see them so they could remain standing beside the car.
"We have to be careful. People are staring at her. It's only a matter of time before someone really recognizes her. The incident in Chicago should have taught us a lesson. Even though it was just a fake it was damn close."
"I know, Jarod. I'm not feeling very secure either. You're hunted by Centre personnel, Kyla's face is all over the news. I'm the only one no one wants. We have to be really careful. It's good that Kyla's sitting in the back again so people don't see her on first sight when they're approaching the car. On the other hand, if someone wants to see her they see her no matter where she sits. We have to get going. We have been here long enough. There's a picture of Kyla on the news again," Kira said after glancing back at the roadhouse. "Let's get going."
"You've been talking about me", Kyla stated when Kira and Jarod sat down on the front seats.
"Sorry, yes. We have held a kind of war council. We have a problem. There are so many news channels that are broadcasting your picture. We can't be sure people won't recognize you. We have to go into hiding again. And we're meeting with Sam tonight. I'm not sure if the Centre doesn't have its eyes on her. We might be watched. And if the Police can do anything for their benefit the Centre will ask them for their help. They might have found out that you are with me and might provide a deal to the police. I don't know how far they will go with that. Now let's get going. We've been here long enough."
Kira nodded and turned the ignition key. The car gave a few strange sounds before the engines started. They didn't like the sounds but they had to hurry when they wanted to be in Ohio to meet with Samantha later the day.
"Try to sleep," Kira suggested to Jarod and Kyla. "And Kyla, if you're lucky your eyes will be back to normal again when you wake up again. Depends on how long you sleep but it will be much better then. Jarod, you should get some sleep as well. It might be that we have to leave again in a hurry tonight."
"I can't sleep again. I have been sleeping too much."
"You should try. You need rest. Your eyes need rest and you --"
"OK, I'll try. But don't expect me to sleep for too long. I'm not tired at all."
Kyla leaned back. She didn't want to admit that she was tired again. She had been sleeping enough but all this fuss about her not being able to walk and being nearly blind had confused and tired her. She knew she'd panic again if something happened and she wouldn't be able to see properly or be able to run away. She had to sleep and hope that she would spend enough time in other universes and sleep long enough to wake up to be herself again. And she hoped that Tinkerbell would be with her again soon. She missed the little Shiran. She closed her eyes and leaned against the cool window. She opened it a little bit to let in some fresh air. She hoped she would fall asleep soon so she wouldn't have to hear Jarod and Kira whispering in the front. She didn't want to listen and didn't want to hear what they were saying. Just sleep and leave this world.
She opened one eye. She was still in the car and not able to see properly. It hadn't worked. She was still there. She closed her eyes again and told herself to fall asleep. And this time it worked. When Kira looked into the rear view mirror she saw Kyla's head fall slightly to one side and her body relaxed. She had fallen asleep. Kira smiled and concentrated on the road again.

***

She turned around and pulled the blanket around her tighter. She opened her eyes. Where was she? She hadn't had a blanket in the car and she could see the room clearly. She turned around. She was in her quarters aboard the Enterprise. She smiled. The last time she had been here she had learned a lot about spatial anomalies. Maybe this was the cause of all the shifting. She got up and got dressed then she sat down at her desk. Her wrist itched. She looked down. Willow's protection band. She had completely forgotten about it. It was still there. She wondered when she would be back in Willow's world. She had liked it there.
She remembered the padd under her pillow. She picked it up and put it onto the table. She had no idea where to start her search. She looked at the box on her table. Hadn't Geordie said that it would tell them if an anomaly would occur? Had something gone wrong or did her shifting work without anomalies? She looked at the box. A few lights were blinking. The doorbell rang.
"Come in."
The door opened and Geordie entered the room. He smiled at her and walked towards the box.
"Have you had a good night?"
"Yes, thank you. What does this box do exactly? Is it supposed to beep or something like that?"
"No. It just stores information. And the lights tell me that there is a lot of information. Care to give me a hand?"
"I don't think I'm fit for that yet. Can I watch?"
"I'll download the information into the computer and send you a copy. You can look through it if you want. You're still supposed to remain in your quarters."
"What happens if an anomaly occurs?"
"It was supposed to beep but it looks like a malfunction. There has been an anomaly. I'll talk to the Doctor and the Captain. I think there's a problem. Stay where you are. I'll be back soon, OK?"
"Sure, I won't go anywhere. I have to finish some research I've started. "
There had been an anomaly so that meant that there was a connection between the shifting and an occurring anomaly. But why were those anomalies connected to her? Why was she the only one on the ship who was affected by them? Maybe there was more to this and nobody had been able to find out yet. She had to find out what it was and why it was her who was affected.
"Dr. Crusher to Ensign Parker. Please report to sickbay immediately."
"On my way."
She got up and left her quarters. She had gotten an order from the CMO. She hoped that this order overruled the Captain's order of remaining in her quarters. She entered the turbolift and got out in front of sickbay only moments later. The doors opened for her and she entered. Dr. Crusher, Geordie and Data were waiting for her.
"Hello Kyla. I have analysed the data from the anomalies. It seems that the anomaly creates a connection between several parallel universes. Data has created a sub dermal chip that Dr. Crusher will implant in your arm. It is some kind of tracking device."
"You haven't had time to say something yourself, Kyla," Dr. Crusher interrupted, "Have you changed universes last night? Everything would be meaningless if nothing happened to you."
"I did. I went to bed last night and woke in another universe. I changed a few times and woke up again in my bed this morning. What do your readings tell about the anomaly? I haven't had time to check those readings yet."
"Not very much, I'm afraid. Just that the anomaly occurred and that a connection had been established. If it's possible we can track you with this device and maybe even bring you back if you want to. Depends on where you're going you might even want to work with them to improve the technology."
"Do you think that's possible?"
"Of course. If there's a universe in the future they might even know a way to close the anomaly immediately and send you back to your own universe and restore everything. I'm not sure how technology will evolve but it might be possible," Geordie answered.
Dr. Crusher showed her the little implant they were about to bring under her skin. She had not much of an idea about 24th century medicine but she hoped it wouldn't hurt much. She was afraid of needles and everything connected to it. She tried not to look at it but then she was curious and dared to look. Dr. Crusher was nearly finished and was already running a skin healing device over her arm. Except for a small hard knob she could feel there was nothing to be seen. No scar and not even a tinge of red. She smiled at Dr. Crusher. Geordie smiled as well and even Data had a smile playing across his lips. He looked almost human. Dr. Crusher and Geordie checked the sensor readings from the little device in her arm and told her that she was free to return to her quarters again. She didn't know what she was supposed to do there but she left sickbay with a smile on her face and was even looking forward to getting back to her quarters. She longed for a cup of tea and the wonderful view from her window. She knew that she should be working on a way back to her normal world but she didn't feel like returning there right now. She needed and wanted some rest. She had always tried to be a hero in each universe, had to run away from the bad guys or work hard on something else. She wanted to enjoy herself. She had always wished to be in the Star Trek world. Why not enjoy being here for a while? She walked through the corridors and into the turbolift to her quarters. She looked at the book on the table. Harry Potter. Why not sit down on the sofa with a cup of tea and the book like she had used to do at home? It had always been one of her favourite pastimes. But first she had to change into something more comfortable. Of course she liked her uniform with the shiny badge but for a comfortable afternoon she needed something more suiting. She went to the closet and looked inside. It seemed like the Kyla from this universe (if there really existed one) liked the same clothes she did - only in a little more futuristic way. She chose a rose-colored shirt and matching trousers. She ordered hot peppermint tea from the replicator and sat down on the sofa. Reading and getting some rest sounded wonderful. Maybe someone would come to visit her.
She leaned back on the sofa and looked out of the window. Stars were streaking by. She had no idea on which mission they were or where they were headed. And she found she didn't even care. She leaned back and opened the book. She read page after page, drank her tea and enjoyed herself. And with the time she got sleepy. It wasn't late. It wasn't evening - it wasn't even noon yet. But she laid the book aside and curled herself up on the sofa and closed her eyes.

***

"I knew you'd come eventually," she heard a voice behind her. She immediately knew she had changed universes again. She turned around and faced a man with an enormous beard, a crooked nose and half-moon spectacles. He wore a long purple robe and was looking at her in a bemused sort of way. Kyla looked at him.
"Professor Dumbledore?"
"Yes, Kyla, you're at Hogwarts. You have only little time in our world."
Kyla looked around the room. It was sparsely lit and there was only a huge mirror with strange writings leaning against the wall. Otherwise the room was empty. Dumbledore put his hand on her shoulder and pushed her towards the mirror. She knew that mirror from the books and movies. It was the mirror of Erised. It showed ones deepest wishes. Harry Potter had seen himself with his parents. He had never known his parents for they had been killed when he had been just one year old. His best friend Ron had seen himself being Head Boy and leader of the Quidditch team (a ball game played on broomsticks) because all his older brothers had achieved high things and everybody expected him to do the same. She wondered what she would see. She dared to look into the mirror. Dumbledore smiled and tightened his grip on her shoulder assuringly.
"The most content person in the world, the one without wishes would only see himself the way he is. What do you see?"
"I see you and me standing in front of the mirror. Does it work with non-magical people?"
"It works with everyone, Kyla. What do you wish most?"
"I want to be home. I want all these shifts to end and be just myself again. But still - I only see me in this mirror."
"That means that you are the most content person in the world. You don't have a heart's wish. Are you sure you want to go back? Are you sure you know where you belong?"
"What do you mean?"
"Do you know where you really belong? Do you really know what is your reality? Do you know where you have to go once you think you've finished your shifting?"
Dumbledore looked down on her. She felt strangely out of place with her normal clothes. Dumbledore didn't seem to notice. And he seemed to know a lot about her and what was happening to her. How else could he have he known about her shifting? She had never been to a Harry Potter universe before, had she? She looked at Dumbledore and was about to ask all the questions she had in her head but he simply shook his head and mentioned her to look at the mirror again. In a whirl of colours she saw all the universes she had been to. Dumbledore was smiling at her. That was where he got to know about her? And what did he mean with knowing about her own reality? She had no idea what he was talking about. Dumbledore seemed to read her mind. With a wave of his wand the universe around her disappeared. She was in no universe at all. She was in that bubble again. Was it a bubble? It was nothing. No light just infinite darkness. She wondered where she'd be when she'd be in a universe again. In the darkness she fingered for the implant in her arm. It was there. Had it been there when she had been with Dumbledore? She fingered for Willow's protection band. It was there as well. A little light appeared in front of her. Tinkerbell was back. Without saying a word she spread her little stars in the darkness and they emerged from the darkness into the bright light.

***

With a *pop* she re-appeared. She was on the bridge of the Enterprise. Everybody was staring at her. The security personnel had even drawn their phasers and were pointing them at her. Was Tinkerbell with her?
"Put down your weapons," Captain Archer said. "Where did you come from and what are you doing on the bridge? You don't have the security clearance to enter this room."
"Ensign Parker? What are you doing here? You said you were stuck in the turbolift?!" T'Pol said with a somewhat accusing voice.
"There's no time. I know what's been causing this. We're in grave danger."
"Causing what? Except for the turbolift nothing has happened."
"I've been caught in the turbolift when a little Shiran came to me," she pointed at Tinkerbell who was sitting on her shoulder, "She told me we were surrounded by Kinkans that were a threat to us."
"What is a Shiran? Who are the Kinkans? I have never heard of those species before." Archer asked.
"I am a Shiran," Tinkerbell said with her voice magically enhanced. "We are a bringer of luck and we try to stop the Kinkans from destroying whatever comes in their way. They are an evil race you haven't encountered yet. They don't live in normal space and time. They live in subspace and they destroy everything. You have to get away from here soon or they'll destroy you."
To underline Tinkerbell's words the ship rocked violently. The alarms started to blare and damage reports from all over the ship came in.
"How can we be sure you're not one of them? How do we now you're not working for them?"
"I can't prove it. I can only hope you trust me or else you're dead."
Even though T'Pol didn't seem very happy Captain Archer nodded. He didn't look very happy though.
"What do we have to do? Anything that hurts them?"
"You can't kill them," said Tinkerbell, her voice still magnified. She jumped up and flew towards Archer. She sat down on his shoulder and spoke into his ear. Her voice was suddenly back to normal. Only Archer could hear what she was saying. He nodded a few times and Tinkerbell remained seated on his shoulder. Archer gave a few commands and everyone seemed to be ignoring Kyla who was standing in the middle of the room. She felt like a discarded toy. She tried not to stand in the way while people bustled all around her. She didn't dare asking what was going on around her. She wasn't even allowed to be on the bridge so she simply contented herself on watching the whole thing. The ship rocketed wildly once more and the lights started to flicker. A station behind her dissolved in flames and scared screams could be heard all over the bridge. Kyla tried to steady herself and grabbed onto the railing. She saw Tinkerbell flying towards her.
"Don't you think you'll be safer in your other universes?" she asked and even though there was complete chaos on the bridge she heard her as if she was sitting directly in her ear.
"The Kyla who belongs to this universe has to stay here. I can't just leave. If the Enterprise is going down Ensign Kyla Parker from the Enterprise is going down with her. That's how it's supposed to be."
"The universe ends for you and so does it for me if I get caught in the middle of this battle. I didn't know there were different universes and I didn't know it was possible to shift between them."
"So why don't you come with me once this universe is finished for me?"
"You mean once Kyla Parker is dead in this universe?"
"Yes, exactly. I won't be returning to this universe any more. I guess that's a good thing."
"Once you are dead in this universe my job is done. If I succeed I will b rewarded. If I fail I will be punished. That's how things go. I don't think I will be able to stay with you."
"We'll see. Can you tell me anything about the Kinkans?"
"I can tell you as much as I told your captain but I'm not sure I'm allowed to do it."
"Please."
Through all the chaos around her she heard Tinkerbell telling her about a race called Kinkans that destroyed everything that got too near to their realm. They didn't care if those people had good or bad intentions. Everything that moved got killed and nobody had ever been able to stop them. Kyla shivered. If they had gotten too near to the realm than Enterprise was doomed. Tinkerbell told her that she had taught the captain how to modify their hull plating so the Kinkans couldn't get into their ship but that had been about all she could have done for them. There was always the option of abandoning ship but Archer hadn't thought about this option yet.
"But if you can make wished come true can't you just wish them away?"
"I can't wish a whole race into extinction. I'm too weak for that."
"Can't you just wish those away who are threatening the ship?"
"They would be gone and the next would follow. There's no use in that."
"If you wish them away again?"
"You know what happens if I grant too many wishes. I'll get weak and weaker until I can't even fly. No. You'd need something more powerful than a single Shiran. You'd need a Q."
"But the Enterprise haven't encountered the Q yet. It's not until Picard's first mission aboard the Enterprise D that the Q bother humans the first time, isn't it?"
"I can't look into the future, Kyla. How do you know?"
"Don't bother. This is part of my shifting. But if a Q is needed why not call for them?"
"They are not interested in helping weak and feeble species in their struggle for survival. They will sit in their chairs and watch this battle with amusement. And there's no way I know to call them. If they want to help they'll come but I doubt they will."
The ship rocketed wildly. Kyla tried to hold onto something but was thrown across the room by an explosion that destroyed the science station behind her. She saw Hoshi Sato trying to hold onto something as well. She heard screams of fear and pain and then she hit the ground. Another direct hit to the ship and Kyla lost consciousness.
Chapters 36 to 40 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 36 - 40

"She's back. She's back! Oh my God, she's alive!"
Kyla had heard that sentence before and she knew that voice. That was her mother. Her mother? No, that couldn't be. Maybe it was Kira. Kira Lewellyn from the universe with Jarod. She had the same voice as her mother. She heard the steady beat of machines and other things that didn't seem suitable for a Jarod universe. She opened her eyes and looked at her mother. More like the ghost of her mother. She had black shades under her eyes and she didn't look very healthy. She leaned over Kyla and kissed her forehead. Kyla looked around the room. This was reality? This couldn't be real. Why was she lying in hospital? Why was she here? Hadn't she heard in this bubble that she was dying? Hadn't they tried to revive her? She couldn't sort it out. She was alive. If this was another universe she didn't like it. If this was reality she didn't like it either. She wanted to sit up but found herself unable to move. But suddenly every muscle in her body hurt. She closed her eyes and tried to shut out the pain. She moaned. She felt like screaming. Screaming the pain out.

–—

"Kyla, calm down. Why are you screaming? Kyla, come on, open your eyes!"
That was Giles' voice. She was back in the Buffyverse. It felt more real than what she thought to be her reality. She remembered what Dumbledore had said. Did she know which was her reality? Was there such a thing as reality? What was normal? What if it really was a dream? Could a dream be complicated like this? What if she was sitting somewhere in a facility and hallucinating? Kyla opened her eyes and looked at Giles. He was holding her in his arms. She remembered the last time she had been here. Tinkerbell had shrunk her to fairy-size and the "real" Kyla had collapsed into Giles' arms. Real Kyla? That word again. She was still lying on the front porch. Why had she been screaming? She had been to what she assumed to be the real world. Pain. It had hurt. Why had she been screaming in this reality? She tried to sit up. Her head was spinning. Why and what had been happening to her? She felt like crying. She wanted to curl up in a corner and cry her soul out. She didn't know why. She felt so helpless and somehow left alone even though there were enough people around her who cared for her. She had no reason to feel alone and she had no right to doubt that those people loved her. And this world she was in right now sounded so much like home. And she wished it to be home. Home. Home is where the heart is, isn't it? But where was her heart? Inside her. Did this mean her home was everywhere she was? Did she have a home at all? Did it make sense what she was thinking?
Giles helped her sit up. She stared at him. What if Dumbledore had been right? What if this world was real and the others weren't? What if she belonged here? Did she belong here? Her head was spinning from all those thoughts. Willow looked at her.
"Has it worked?"
"I don't know. It was there all the time. It was with me. But what was it supposed to protect me from?"
"I don't know. Death?"
"I wanted to die in one of the universes but I couldn't. I wanted this universe to end. It's awful there and I thought I could end it by dying. But if this band prevents me dying then it did its job very good."
Giles looked at her with something like hurt in his eyes. "I never knew you had suicidal tendencies."
"I didn't know myself but it seemed the only way to get away from this universe. And that was all I wanted at that moment. I still don't want to go back there but I think I will have to to end this universe."
"Calm down. I'm not accusing you. I was just shocked to hear that from you. I know of the circumstances and I try to understand what's going on in your head. And I try to understand what's going on around me. I'm not sure if I've seen a hallucination before you collapsed. I have seen a fairy."
Willow and Kyla grinned and shook their head in unison.
"You haven't seen a hallucination. Tinkerbell is real. But she doesn't belong to this universe. You have seen her for real. She was with me in the last universe but I think she remained there to save the world. I'm not sure."
"Don't worry about that right now. You're here in this world."
"Is this real? Am I real?"
"Of course you are real. And we are real as well. You have to decide what's real for you. If you keep searching for an answer somewhere in the stars you'll never be able to solve this mystery. You’re remember what I told you about your past. The way I remember you, the moments we all shared, the things we did together. Doesn't it sound real?"
"It sounds as real as Dawn."
"What? Why Dawn? She was created by the monks."
"That's how I feel. I feel like all the memories are created and don't really exist. It feels like nothing really exists and all this is just a dream. How can I prove what's real and what isn't?"
"You can't prove anything. You have to find out for yourself what is real and try to remain there. Of course it would be hard for us to lose you. But if you decide that this is not real we have to live with that but don't you dare to commit suicide. I would certainly stop you from doing that."
"Oh Giles, I wouldn't want to leave this world if I knew it was real. But somehow it doesn't feel right."
"You should talk about it with Buffy for a while. Maybe she knows an answer or can tell you how she decided that this was the real world. Maybe that helps."
"Or a cup of herbal tea," Willow said and helped her up, "Or both. Let's get some cups and some tea from inside and settle down on the porch. And someone wake Buffy. She has been sleeping long enough now. Let's have a nice day in the sun with lots of talking and many sweets. I want some chocolate."
"How can you think about chocolate right now, Will?"
"OK, ice cream?"
"Sounds much better," Kyla grinned and went into the kitchen to fetch the mugs they had been using earlier the day for their coffee and tea. She made a huge pot with tea and one with coffee and carried everything outside. Willow had disappeared into the "dungeons" as she called it and wanted to search for some ice cream while Giles was upstairs to wake Buffy from her blissful slumber. From the noises Kyla heard on the porch she assumed that Buffy was far from being ready to get up and the way Willow stomped up the stairs again told her that she hadn't found any ice cream. She heard Willow rummaging in the kitchen but she didn't bother to look. She had her eyes closed and enjoyed the sun. Giles came down the stairs and out on the front porch. Kyla opened her eyes. He was massaging his head.
"Buffy didn't want to get up. She threw something at me that was lying in her bed and that wasn't a teddy bear or her pillow."
Kyla grinned and so did Willow who stepped out of the door the moment Giles had finished the sentence. She was carrying a huge bowl filled with candy of all sorts. She shrugged apologetically.
"I couldn't find any ice cream so we have to take something else instead and that was all I could find in the kitchen and the dungeon. Nothing left from my private supply either. Someone must have found out where I kept it," Willow said and shot an accusing look at Buffy who stepped out the door the very moment.
"I didn't do anything and I didn't eat your chocolate. That was Giles," she yawned.
"How do you know we've been talking about chocolate?" Giles asked.
"OK, it was me. I admit it. Why are we having a wonderful sit-in like this in the early morning? Did I miss something?"
"We need to talk about a few things. You need to tell Kyla all about your encounter with the demon and what happened to you and how you managed to come back. Can you do that?"
"Sure, Giles. But I don't know what that's supposed to help."
"It might help me to find out where I belong and how I get back there. Why doesn't anyone want to tell Buffy about what happened while she was sleeping?"
Buffy looked at everyone with a surprised look on her face.
"I DID miss something and nobody told me? That's not fair!! What did I miss? Come on, tell me!"
"Just a little spell, a little fairy and Kyla fainting twice. Nothing serious."
"NOTHING SERIOUS? You're kidding. Sounds like you had the time of your life and I was in bed sleeping. Why didn't anyone tell me? Or wake me?"
Everybody just grinned while Buffy pouted but then she grinned as well. But suddenly a concerned look shot over her face. She looked at Kyla.
"You fainted? Why? Are you alright?"
"I'm fine, yes. But I think we have to tell you a few things, don't we?"
And so Kyla started to think about what had happened earlier in this universe. The thing with Willow's protection spell and the green protection band at her wrist that had remained there so far, meeting Will in her own mind and falling until she was in another universe, coming back with the help of Tinkerbell and leaving again in the size of a fairy. And then coming back here. She fingered for her arm. Dr. Crusher had implanted a little chip. Had it come along to this universe? No. It was gone. But Willow's protection band was still there. There was no sense in that.
"Anything wrong?" Willow asked.
"No. I just remembered something I got in the Star Trek universe. I thought it might have worked but it hasn't. I wonder why."
"Maybe because you've gone back in time," Buffy suggested, "This kind of technology hasn't been invented yet, has it?"
"Sounds reasonable."
"And what was that about the little fairy? Why isn't she here now?"
"Good question. She remained in her universe, I think. She said something about me being safer in another universe. I don't know what she's doing or why she isn't here but I think I should be thankful she isn't. It's hard to see things you wish for suddenly coming true. It's somehow easier without her."
"Things you wish for are coming true? Cool. Can't you wish something for me? I want to have some holidays. I need a stand-in for just one time and a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow."
"Oh come on, be reasonable, Buffy."
"OK, let's try to find a way to end this for Kyla. When this demon thing gave me this gift of seeing my other self I started to think that this was real. It came as far as thinking that I had to kill everybody to end this universe. It has certain similarities to Kyla who thinks she has to die in every universe to get back to her own reality. I tried to believe my parents and the doctor at the facility but in the end I thought that life couldn't be so hard on me and decided that this was much better than being in a facility and I decided to come back. I have to admit that I missed my parents very much and wanted to believe it was real because they were there. I wanted to be back here with my friends."
"What if this is still your dream world and the real you is still in that clinic?" Kyla asked.
"I don't care. I prefer to be quite happy in this world, really. What do you think is the real world?"
"The real world? This one here sounds so real. Star Trek doesn't sound real, I know that. Real. My mom, sitting at my bed, me dying. Sounds too horrible to be real but I think that's it. That's the real world."
"Do you want to be back there?"
"Of course I want --- I'm not sure. I feel that I have to want to be there but something inside me tells me that it's not real. There was this encounter with Dumbledore --"
"DUMBLEDORE? You've also been at Hogwarts?"
"Sorry, Willow, I forgot to tell you. It has been a really short visit and I know that this wasn't real at all. But Dumbledore told me something that made me start thinking again. He asked me if I knew for sure where I belong. That made me think. What if there's another world I can't remember that is the real world?"
"That sounds so complicated. I don't know what I'm supposed to think," Willow sighed and took a piece of chocolate. While she chewed she looked at Kyla who tried not to feel uncomfortable. Giles stared into his teacup as if he wanted to read the future from the tea leaves - even though there were none in his cup. Buffy chewed on her thumb and Kyla stared after a butterfly that was fluttering through the porch.
"Where do you want to be?" Giles asked and looked up from his teacup. "The most important thing for you is to find out in which place you feel home and not which place is supposed to be home. If the real world doesn't feel like home it can't be home."
"Home? Here. I have people who care about me and people who love me. This is where I feel home."
"Then you should find a way to get that into your mind. I think it's the most important thing to have in mind - where your heart belongs."
"And I need to find a way to end this soon. I'm tired of doing all these shifts. If you don't mind I'll leave you alone and go to bed. That's the easiest way to change universes. Do I need to put a sign onto the door that say 'Please wake me for meals'?"
"No, you don't," Willow grinned. "I'll wake you. I'll come with you. I need something from our room before you go to sleep."
Kyla bit back a comment. She was sharing the room with Willow? She hoped she hadn't missed something. She followed Willow upstairs. Will threw her jumper onto the right side of the bed and kissed Kyla's cheek on the way back to the door.
"Sweet dreams. I'll wake you for lunch."
So the left side of the bed was supposed to be hers. She shrugged and laid down without changing her clothes. She looked at the protection band. It was still there. The micro chip wasn't. Maybe it would be in the next universe. She hoped it would be as nice as this one. She closed her eyes and dozed off.

***

She woke with a start and tried to suck in air. It felt like someone was trying to press the air from her lungs. She opened her eyes. She was in a white room. The light was dimmed. She moved her head to one side and saw someone else in the room. Someone moved at the feet of her bed. The man got up and pulled his chair up to sit next to her.
"Hey, honey. How do you feel?"
"Is she going to die?" she croaked and looked at Parker. Jarod followed her gaze and looked at Parker as well. Parker was going to die, yes. But how was he to tell her that she was nearly dead? The simple truth sounded too harsh, didn't it?
"Yes, she is. Her time is near. The Doc said it's only a matter of hours before her circulatory system breaks down and her heart stops beating. They will try to keep her alive as long as possible and I'm afraid I will have to call Sydney and Mr. Parker. But I'm not sure what they think about this. Parker has been used in an experiment by Lyle. Maybe she's already dead to the Centre and I will be too if I tell them that I found her and let her die."
"What about me? Am I going to die as well?"
"I don't know. There's no antidote to this kind of drug and I won't be able to find a cure - I don't have anything to work on. There's nothing left in your blood that proves that there was a drug at all. I don't know what's happening and I don't know how to stop it."
Kyla closed her eyes. She was feeling exhausted. This was exactly what she had wanted, wasn't it? She was dying and that ended this universe. She felt sorry for Jarod who had to watch her and Parker die and somehow she was afraid. She had died in the Deep Space Nine universe but had been revived. She had been scared. She had been afraid and she hadn't wanted to die. She was afraid right now and she wanted to live. She wanted to fight. She was losing against Lyle and Myra. That felt too much like a defeat. And Myra had been so right. She didn't belong into her world. She had heard that comment even though she had been kind of out. She had heard her. But Myra knew that she didn't belong there - like Myra herself. She didn't belong there either. But she had been the one who had induced the drug into Parker's and Kyla's bloodstream. Her head hurt. Slowly everything in her body started to hurt. She looked at Parker. She was lying there motionless.
"They have sedated her. She wasn't able to breathe anymore from all the pain. It is an artificial coma. I hope it helps. The tremors have stopped as soon as she was unconscious but she has to be hooked onto life support. This feels so unreal."
"It's as real as can be, Jarod. And she's awake. Her eyes are open."
His head whipped around and he jumped up. Parker's eyes were open but they were unfocused. She wasn't breathing on her own and the beeping of the machines hadn't changed much. The beeps were getting slower though. Kyla looked up at the machines she was hooked to. They were very much the same except for life support. The machines were standing there but were not operating - yet. She was afraid. Parker's head turned and she looked directly at Kyla.
"Be brave little one," she croaked. She closed her eyes again and there was a long whine. Kyla's eyes filled with tears. Parker was dead. Died in front of her eyes and she hadn't been able to do anything. Jarod had cradled her in his arms. The door flew open and the doctors came in. They gently pushed him aside to check on Parker, They didn't try to revive her. They were talking to Jarod but Kyla wasn't able to listen to them. She was sobbing which made breathing even harder. When they pulled the blanket over Parker's face she felt like her heart was being torn out. The look on Jarod's face told her that he must be feeling the same. She didn't realize that one of the doctors injected something into the intravenous bottle that was dangling next to her bed. The sobbing subsided and the world felt so much at peace. Could this be how it felt when one was dying? And why had Parker told her to be brave? Had one to be brave to die? Was dying something frightening? She didn't want to know. The pain suddenly came from nowhere. It felt like someone was punching her in the stomach, put a knife through her heart and let a hammer fall on her head at the same time.
The sharp intake of breath told Jarod that it had started with Kyla as well. In less than an hour she would be dead as well. The doctors and nurses had just started to bring Miss Parker's corpse out of the room. They stopped in their tracks and hurried back to Kyla's bed. They hooked her up to the other machines and pumped more sedatives into her bloodstream. But the pain didn't go away - it got worse. A searing pain shot through her heart. She looked at Jarod. He looked so frail. Her heart stopped beating. She felt it stop and felt how life drained from her slowly. She could still see Jarod. The pain was suddenly gone. And it felt like fainting. Grey clouds came into her view and her vision blurred. And then it was gone. Life had ended for her this time.

***

Had it been a bad dream? Someone was gently shaking her awake. She was sitting in a car. She opened her eyes. Her vision was slightly blurred. Jarod's universe.
"Did you have a bad dream? Are you alright?"
"I'm fine. I've been to another universe."
"Something bad?"
"I died."
Kira looked shocked but didn't say a thing. Kyla didn't know how much they knew. She couldn't remember if she had told them her story or if they knew only those things she had told them in her sleep when Jarod had been asking her questions. Kira suddenly pulled the car over and stopped.
"Are you alright?" Jarod asked her. Kira shook her head and disappeared between the trees next to the road. Jarod got up and followed her. Kyla had no other choice but to remain in the car. Her eyes were nearly back to normal but her feet still didn't work the way she wanted. She could feel her toes but couldn't move her legs yet.
She hoped Kira would be alright. She had to wait for a few minutes until she heard someone coming back from the woods. It was Jarod who was carrying the limp form of Kira in his arms. He laid her down on the backseat and Kyla cradled her head in her lap.
"What happened?"
"Good question. She was throwing up when I found her and collapsed in my arms afterwards. She didn't say anything. I don't know what happened."
"That sounds like something I experienced in another universe. It was the universe I died. It was a synthetic drug Raines has created but I can't think of a way how that drug has come into this universe and into Kira's bloodstream. It doesn't make sense."
"No, it doesn't but it's a possibility. There are other things that may have caused this. Maybe she's simply pregnant."
Kyla smirked and looked down on Kira. Her face was ashen. Her eyelids trembled and she slowly opened her eyes. She looked at Kyla and wanted to sit up but Kyla held her down.
"Hey there. How do you feel?"
"Where am I? What happened?"
"You're in the car. Jarod brought you back here after you broke down. Do you know what happened and why?"
Kira shook her head and sat up. Kyla didn't hold her back. Jarod came from the back of the car and handed Kira a bottle with water.
"Feeling better? I'm going to drive now, we have to get to Findlay until tonight."
He closed the door. Kira remained on the backseat with Kyla while Jarod got into the driver's seat. Both Kira and Kyla weren't happy with the idea of Jarod in the driver's seat. Jarod was on a wanted ad after all. If someone bothered to check the security cameras at the toll stations they would spot Jarod easily. As if he had read their mind he put on sunglasses and a baseball cap.
"Do I need a moustache or does it suffice?"
"No, that's fine. Can you read my mind?"
"No, Kira, I can't but the same thing was on my mind as well. How do you feel?"
"Better, I think. I don't know what happened or why."
"Sorry to ask but are you pregnant?"
"No way," she laughed, "but thanks for the concern. Maybe something I ate."
"You had the same Kyla and I had but don't worry we'll find out. But it'll have to wait. We have only a few hours left to get to Findlay and we definitely have to hurry."
He started the car and drove back onto the road again. Trees and houses shot by and nobody was talking. Kyla opened the window and enjoyed the warm wind caressing her skin. She had only just woken up but the soft music on the radio made her sleepy and when she leaned her head against the cool window she felt sleepy. The wind was doing it's job and finally she fell asleep again.

***

Why had she fallen asleep again? She had been to this universe for just a few minutes. She opened her eyes. She was in another universe again. She looked around the room. A Star Trek universe again. She looked at the book on the table. Giles' diary. So she was back in the Voyager universe. She had been reading Giles' diary and had fallen asleep then. She took the diary from the table and went on reading.
The doorbell chimed and Tom Paris entered the room with the padd he had taken from her room. He gave it to her and smiled.
"Nothing special, I think. Looks a lot like another diary."
"MY diary? Have you read it?"
"Only a few lines. Sorry. I didn't mean to intrude into your private life."
"That's OK. As far as I remember you are part of my private life, aren't you?"
"In a way, yes. How do you feel?"
"Quite good actually. I haven't had time to check on everything I got about the anomaly yet. Do you know anything?"
"Janeway said that Seven has come quite far with your transporter theory and that it should work soon."
Kyla looked at her arm. The protection band was there and when she fingered for the chip in her arm she could feel it as well. Maybe it was something like her wrist watch and it was only there in universes where it had already been invented. She looked at Tom.
"I need you to do me a favour. Take your tricorder, run it over my arm and tell me what you see."
"What I see? What do you mean?"
"Just do it."
Tom took the tricorder and ran it over Kyla's outstretched arm. He looked at the readings and frowned. He ran the tricorder over the arm again and again. Then he hit his communicator and asked Captain Janeway to join them. He sat down on the sofa and looked at Kyla.
"Do you know where it came from?"
"Sure. Let's wait for the Captain. I don't want to tell twice."
Captain Janeway entered the room and looked at Tom expectantly. He only handed her the tricorder and Kyla stretched out her arm. Janeway ran the tricorder over the arm twice.
"Do you know where it came from?" she asked.
"Yes. I was given the implant aboard the Enterprise by Dr. Crusher. She said it was some kind of homing beacon. If it works they can trace me and even bring me back aboard the Enterprise. I'm not sure how to work it though."
"What would happen if you'd find out how to work it?"
"I don't know. I wasn't told."
"We should meet Seven and B'Elanna in Stellar Cartography. We need to find out how it works and what happens. But without proper readings I don't want to mess around with this transponder or whatever it is."
"May I suggest we meet in sickbay? What if something goes wrong?" Tom interrupted and Janeway nodded.
"Seven of Nine and Lt. Torres, meet me in sickbay," she said and strode out of the room. Tom followed her quickly and Kyla limped after them. When Tom realized that Kyla wasn't up to running yet he slowed down and waited for her. They entered the turbolift together and Janeway smiled apologetically.
"Sorry, I forgot."
When they entered sickbay Seven and B'Elanna were already waiting for them. B'Elanna looked curious, Seven only annoyed that she had been disturbed in her work. Janeway filled them in on the chip that was implanted in Kyla's arm. They asked Kyla to sit down and Seven switched on a few machines around her and so did B'Elanna. She felt odd. She hated those beeping machines and she had no idea what they were used for. But she had the notion that she should know because she was supposed to work on this ship, wasn't she? Seven came to stand next to her and ran a tricorder over her arm.
"You should tap it. That is the proper way to activate this kind of chip," she stated matter of factly.
Kyla looked at Janeway and the Doctor who were standing behind Seven. Janeway only nodded. Kyla was somehow afraid. She had no idea what would happen. She tapped the chip but nothing happened. She looked up. B'Elanna only shook her shoulders and leaned over her readings. She looked annoyed that things didn't work out the way she had expected. Kyla felt a prickling sensation all over her body and Voyager's sickbay vanished in a sea of blue light.

–—

"It obviously worked. Have you been in trouble, Kyla?" Data asked when Kyla rematerialized in sickbay aboard the Enterprise.
"No. I wasn't. How have I come here?"
"We beamed you back. Where have you been?"
"You can't have beamed me halfway through the galaxy, could you? I've been aboard Voyager somewhere in the Delta-Quadrant."
"Voyager? Delta-Quadrant? How is this possible?" Dr. Crusher asked and ran a tricorder over Kyla.
"I don't know," Geordie asked, "But it worked better than we had expected."
"Could you beam me back there? Are there any sensor readings in the computer I could take along?"
She looked at her uniform. She was still wearing the Voyager uniform while everybody else in the room was wearing a newer uniform. If she had really been beamed over here she could easily take something back when they would manage to beam her back aboard Voyager.
"We could download all the information on a padd for you to take a long. It will take a few minutes though to make out the exact position from where you came from. It's not easy to beam you halfway through the galaxy and not miss the spot. Theoretically it's impossible to beam you there but it has worked before."
"There's some kind of anomaly that makes it possible."
"How do you feel Kyla? You've been through a lot in the last few days," Dr. Crusher asked. "You've been taken hostage by aliens and-" she looked at the tricorder in her hand and then at Kyla's leg. "What happened?"
"An accident in the other universe. Something's not going right here. I've never taken something from one universe to the other. Where is the Kyla from this universe?"
"Computer, locate Ensign Kyla Parker."
"Ensign Kyla Parker is not aboard the Enterprise."
"Computer, identify person sitting on biobed 4."
"Unknown."
"Who am I then if I'm not me?" Kyla asked.
"Computer, voice identification," she demanded.
"Ensign Kyla Parker."
"I don't understand this," Kyla said and looked at the people gathered around her. Dr. Crusher ran the tricorder over her again.
"The tricorder unmistakeably identifies you as Ensign Kyla Parker. Something's wrong."
"I don't mind. I know who am I am without the computer telling me. Can you beam me back? I have to tell them that I have been here and show them the data the scanners collected."
"We have been able to bring her here. We should be able to beam her back. But we need the Captain's permission," Geordie said and Data nodded.
They asked the Captain to join them in sickbay and a few minutes later the doors opened to admit Captain Picard into sickbay. He smiled when he saw Kyla.
"Nice to have you back even though I had no idea you where gone. The computer filled me in on everything. How do you feel, Ensign?"
"Quite good. But I have to get back."
"Why?"
"I don't know. It feels right to go back. It seems only fair to return and tell them that I'm fine."
"Let me sum up everything first. You told us that you were from the past and wanted to get back to your own time. Now you're talking about all this as if you're familiar with everything from our ship and the technology from this time. How is this possible?"
"I don't think you'd understand even if I tried to explain it - and I'm not sure I can explain it. Do you really want to know? It's complicated."
"Of course I want to know. Try to explain it to me and then we'll see if it makes sense."
Kyla had no idea where to start. She had told them her story before but that hadn't explained why she had so much knowledge about the technology of her future. She didn't know how to explain it so she said that she was a quick study and had learned everything from watching the others and reading stuff on the computer. Picard seemed to believe her because he didn't say anything but nodded when she was finished explaining.
"Sounds reasonable. I still don't quite understand why you want to go back. But I think that it's OK to beam you back. But you should know of the possible consequences. You know that it is very dangerous to beam you across the galaxy and I don't really know how it has worked the first place. I hope to see you back safe and sound and I hope you bring back a few facts that might help us solve the mystery with the anomaly."
"Yes, Sir. I will try to gather as much information as possible. Thank you for your trust in me."
Picard nodded and looked at Geordie expectantly. Geordie nodded and worked on a transporter panel.
"Are you ready, Kyla?"
Kyla nodded and took the padd Data offered her. She was a little afraid. She had no idea how transporters worked but she knew that her whole body was split into micro particles and shot through the galaxy. She had never known that it was possible to beam over such distances. Maybe this was still a dream? It had to be. If it was possible to beam into the Delta Quadrant and back it had to be possible to bring back the crew of Voyager. They had a long journey in front of them and if it was possible to - she was disturbed in her thoughts by Geordie who announced that the transporters were ready. She held tightly to the padd and waited for the funny feeling she had felt the last time.
The world disappeared in blue light and she was beamed back to the other universe. But it seemed to take longer this time.

***

The beaming process seemed to take forever. Something had gone wrong. She was sure about it. She was still caught in the blue light. And then it was over. She re-appeared. But where was she? Everything was upside down. She looked around and then gravity won. She saw the Doctor and Captain Janeway run towards her and then she hit the ground and lost consciousness.

***

"Look who's back. I thought I'd never find you in that other world again. How do you feel?"
"I'm feeling fine. Where am I and what am I doing here?"
She looked at the black robes she was wearing and then looked up into Dumbledore's smiling face. She was sitting on the floor in the headmaster's office. She could clearly see the Sorting Hat on the shelf, she could see Fawkes the Phoenix sitting on it's dais and all the moving pictures around her some of which were staring at her. It felt funny to be in Hogwarts. The door opened and Professor McGonagall entered the room.
"I see you have found her again, Albus," she said and smiled at Kyla. "Did it work?" she asked and looked back at the Headmaster.
"No, Minerva, it didn't. I will have to work on it again. The potion has turned green while it was supposed to turn pink with blue bubbles. I will ask Severus to help me. While we work on it I think we will have to send Kyla back to where she really belongs, won't we?"
"Can I have a word too, Professor?"
"Whatever you want to say, Kyla."
"The last time we met you said that I didn't know where I came from. Where do I come from?"
"That's up to you and the potion is supposed to help you find your way back. Now be a good girl and take the portkey back to your world, will you?"
"Which portkey?"
"The blue bottle next to you has been made a portkey for this time. And take care, Kyla. We'll see each other again when the potion is ready."
Kyla touched the bottle. The world whirled around her and she was flying through nothingness. She saw the Summers' house rushing up towards her and suddenly she stopped in midair. A small shiny something was hovering in front of her. It was Tinkerbell.
"I'm sorry that I caught you between the universes but I think it's time for you to come back to the Enterprise. People start to worry about you. And I need you to wish something so I can finish my job and get a promotion."
She spread her little shiny stars all around her and Kyla felt herself shrink again and this time she kept her eyes open to see where she was going. Things were going too fast to really see something. It was a whirl of colours and she closed her eyes and wished for it to stop.
Chapter 41 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An imaginative view of the world 41/?
by CHris

And then it stopped. She was still feeling dizzy when she opened her eyes. She was back aboard the Enterprise. Her head hurt. If it was from the dizzying speed or from having hit her head she didn't know. She knew she was back and that she needed to do something before the Kinkans destroyed the ship. But she had no idea what she was supposed to do. Tinkerbell hadn't told her anything about the species.
And then she saw them on the view screen. Species 8472 or something like that. That was what Seven - or the Borg - had called them. They lived in subspace if she remembered correctly. But what had it been that had driven them back into their realm when Voyager had encountered them? And that had been in the future from here. The species had been unknown to the Voyager crew. How was that possible? Something was wrong with the timeline – which brought Kyla back to the thought of all this being a bad dream or a very bad joke.
The Kinkans were worse than the Borg. Even the Borg were afraid of them. She considered herself to be a Star Trek fan but she had no idea of actual facts that could be of help right now. If she could only send a message to Michael. He would surely know. She was sure he would know. Maybe if she asked Tinkerbell to help her? Maybe she had to change universes to do this. She had to return to a universe in the past from now and send an email to someone she deeply loved but wasn't ready to admit it. Did she love him? She wasn't sure. But there were more pressing matters right now than thinking about someone you loved or thought to love in the distant past, she tried to remember herself. Nobody on the bridge seemed to take notice of her. Not even Tinkerbell who was surrounded by her wishing stars that kept sparkling all the time. She was obviously preoccupied. Nobody took notice of her when she sneaked around the corner towards the Captain's personal dining room. She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes. She knew she could do it. If she only wished hard enough she could go to the Voyager universe and ask them all about this species. It would be much easier than sending an email to Michael who wouldn't read it anyway and would take weeks to answer IF he'd answer. She pressed her eyes shut and hoped that she would succeed. She wished herself to re-appear aboard Voyager where they would know about the Kinkans enough for her to save the Enterprise.

–—

She opened her eyes and looked up. The Doctor and Captain Janeway were crouching next to her. She was lying on the floor. The last time she had been here had been very short. She had been beamed here and had rematerialized upside down. She sat up and started to speak so fast that both the Doctor and the Captain had problems following her. From the corner of her eyes she saw the Doctor picking up a hypospray.
"I don't need to be sedated, Doc, I'm fine. And the lives of many are at stake. You need to hear me out. I'm trying to slow down but there's little time. Do you remember Species 8472?"
"Of course I do. Why?"
"I have been to the past and the Enterprise under Captain Archer has come across this species. I need all information I can get about them. And that might be the cause for the anomaly."
"That's a possibility. We have encountered some subspace disturbances in the space surrounding us. It is possible that it has something to do with them. Can you walk?"
"A little dizzy but I think I will manage."
"I'll help you. Does the implant in your spine work properly?" Janeway asked and Kyla nodded. She had nearly forgotten about the implant and had nearly forgotten about everything else from this universe. All that mattered now was saving the Enterprise from destruction. She had nearly forgotten about Harry being her boyfriend, about Giles' diary and the vanished glass in her quarters. Those things had to wait until Enterprise and the other ships were save and the spatial anomalies were gone. But would she be able to change between universes once the anomaly was closed again? She didn't have time to think about all this right now. Captain Janeway had dragged her along the corridors towards Stellar Cartography. The doors opened and Seven was already waiting for them. Kyla sat down on one of the stools in front of a panel. She felt completely exhausted. Her head was throbbing and she didn't know what to think anymore. Was she really up to saving the universe? Suddenly she was afraid. Afraid of her own courage, afraid of the tasks ahead and even afraid of the shadows lurking behind the corners. What had made her do it? Why did she suddenly feel responsible for the welfare of all those starships? And who told her that this wasn't just a bad dream? She had thought about this so often it couldn't be a dream anymore. And she had been in the real world – in hospital – if t his had been the real world and not just another dream reality . What if it was a dream and she was hallucinating? Dying and hallucinating. What a wonderful notion. She looked up and saw Janeway and Seven discuss something on a screen in front of them. She had to know what they were talking about. On the show things had seemed so logical and everything they said had made sense. Now she didn't feel like this anymore. It was like everybody was speaking Chinese. She didn't understand a thing. But she knew things the others didn't know about. She knew their past, present and future. She knew what was going to happen to them and she knew about everything from the other universes. Maybe that might save lives. And before all this ended she had to find some time to read Giles' diary or maybe take it with her. It might be the thing that was going to save her sanity. It might be helping her to –
"Ensign Parker, please help us over here."
She got up and walked over to the other women. Seven caught her by the upper arm when she stumbled. Kyla smiled at her thankfully.
"Do you know the approximate position of the Enterprise?"
"Neither approximately nor exactly. I haven't been near any station to look at it. But I can go back there and look for the exact position if it's really important."
"Not that important. Try to bring along the parameter when you are back the next time. We can do our calculations without the exact position thus far. Do you know if there are other ships in the area?"
"No Captain, I don't know. I know that the Enterprise with Captain Picard has encountered an anomaly as well. So much has happened – I have trouble sorting things out."
"Don't worry, we'll find out soon enough. We'll send a probe into the anomaly to see what's going to happen. Maybe it'll come out in another universe or Species 8472 destroys it or whatever," Janeway said. Kyla didn't like the look on Janeway's face. She looked somewhat disappointed.
"You may return to your quarters and get some rest. We'll inform you what's going on. Do you need help to get there?"
"No, thanks Captain. I'll be fine. Have you found anything about the missing glass from my quarters?"
"Now that you mention it – no."
Kyla left the lab without another word and walked towards the next turbolift. The doors opened and she entered the lift. The ride to her quarters seemed to take for ever and her legs hurt somehow even though they were supposed to be numb. But she didn't care anymore. She longed for her couch and some time on her own. Even though it seemed inappropriate she wanted to read a little bit – and there was still the diary.
She entered her room and smiled. A little touch of home even though she was in the distant future. Her favourite colours all over the room and even a picture in a frame she had gotten used to. Hadn't there been a picture of Parker in her room aboard Deep Space Nine? She looked at the picture. It wasn't Parker. It was a cute picture that showed herself and Tara. Tara? That picture was real, yes. But only partially. She had a picture taken with Amber Benson but both had worn different things and it had been a completely different background. But the people looked the same. It looked like someone had altered the picture with the computer – but this was an alternate reality, wasn't it? Maybe it was real – in this reality…
She sat down on the sofa and took Giles' diary. She scanned a few pages and began reading the entry that had been written the day after Sunnydale had been destroyed. They had really gone to Cleveland after that – to destroy the other hellmouth. They had lost two more girls on the drive. They had died from the serious injuries they had gotten from fighting the ubervamps and the First Evil. Only just in time had they reached a hospital to save Robin Wood and even Buffy had needed a Doctor after what had happened. She hated to read in Giles' diary. It sounded so much like fan fiction – even though it was supposed to be real. And he was talking about death like it was something that happened every day. But it did happen every day. Maybe it was because he was more grown-up than she felt. She put the diary back on to the table and leaned back. She had only just closed her eyes when her communicator beeped and Janeway asked her to come to sickbay immediately. She sighed and got up. She walked to the door and out into the corridor. She pressed the button and waited for the lift to appear. The doors opened and she stepped through. Only when the doors closed behind her she realized that it hadn't been a turbolift but the door to her room. The door fell shut with a little bang.
Chapter 42 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 42/?
by CHris

The door to her room? She looked back. She had just left the room she shared with Willow and was now standing in the hallway. She walked towards the stairs and sat down on the last step. She looked down into the entrance hall. The front door was open wide and a fresh breeze was wafting through the house. She could hear the others arguing on the porch. She didn't care what they were talking about. She tried to have some time on her own to think about things properly. Maybe to make a plan. To sort things out and to find a way to solve all her problems at once. But it didn't work. She couldn't find an explanation for the things that were happening and she got distracted by Willow who came sprinting up the stairs to wake her for dinner.
"You alright?"
"Sure. Just trying to think."
Willow sat down next to Kyla and put her arm around her shoulder. Kyla leaned against her and closed her eyes. It felt good to know that people cared about her and it felt so good to be here. She wished that this was reality. She hoped that everything else turned out to be a dream or whatever this turned out to be. And as if Willow had read her mind she gently started to stroke her hair. She felt so complete. Like a baby in its mother's arms. But she knew that this was different. That Willow wasn't like a mother to her but a lover. And she was astonished that she didn't even mind. Willow was such a beautiful and wonderful woman and she had to admit that she really loved her as well – that was what she thought she felt in her heart. She gave in to those feelings and she didn't object when Willow got up and walked her towards their room. Willow closed and locked the door behind them.
"Don't worry. I'm not planning to seduce you right now. I want to help you find your way into your reality and I so much hope it is this one."
"I also hope that it is this one. I don't like the others half as much as being here with you. How do you want to find a way to do this? With magic?"
"We can try to use magic, yes. But first you have to tell me about the universe with Dumbledore. Have you had time to learn some magic too?"
"No magic for me. But I have to have magic in me, don't I? Otherwise I wouldn't be at Hogwarts. And Dumbledore knew me."
"We could try. Magic is quite simple. All you need is the right ingredients and belief in yourself. The door is locked. We might as well try something. Do you think you're ready?"
Kyla just nodded. She felt a little nervous but with Willow by her side she knew that nothing would happen. They sat down on the floor to do some calming exercises.
"To find your inner calm you have to shut out the world surrounding us and you have to clear your mind. Or at least try. There are a few things that helped me. Let's try to find out if you have magic power in you. Have you ever tried to make things fly? Simple things like a feather or a pencil?"
"No," Kyla laughed. "I never tried. I mean, I was always told that there is no such thing as magic," she grinned. The exact sentence Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon had used in both the book and the movie. Willow grinned too. She got up and closed the curtains. The room was quite dark. Willow lit a candle. It scented like Willow always did. She put a feather onto the floor in front of Kyla.
"Concentrate on the feather. Forget everything about it. And imagine it flying. There is no such thing as wands or shouting 'Vingardium Leviosa' – even though it DOES work sometimes," she smiled and put the feather back onto the floor that was floating in the air. "Concentration should suffice. Don't force anything. Imagine it move. Give me your hands and close your eyes. And relax, honey."
Kyla tried to smile and took Willow's hands. It felt so natural to sit there and do magic. She tired to remember some fan fiction she had read about Willow. She tried to bring some pictures into her mind from the series and felt Willow's grip on her hand tighten.
"Slowly open your eyes."
She obeyed and saw the feather. It was glowing brightly and floating right in front of her eyes. The light reflected in Willow's smiling eyes. Then the images in her head were gone and the feather dissolved in flames.
"Oops. Sorry, didn't mean to do that."
"No problem. But you can do magic. How did it feel? Do you think you can stand doing things like that more often?"
"I think so, yes. But why did you decide to introduce me to the world of magic now? Why not earlier or later?"
"Let's go and have dinner. We'll talk about that later. The others should hear what I have to say as well. And they are waiting for us. After dinner we have a lot of things to talk about before Buffy leaves for her nightly watch."
She got up. There was nothing that indicated what had just happened in this room and no trace of romance left. It was as if the last minutes had never happened. And Kyla found that she already missed it. She missed the closeness. She missed Willows hands that had been holding hers and the scent that had filled the room. Willow drew back the curtains and opened the window. She walked past Kyla and her lips brushed her cheek. Willow smiled and left the room and Kyla simply followed her. She looked at the door and hoped that it wouldn't be some kind of portal again. Maybe it was some kind of Stargate? Maybe this series was involved as well? She hoped it wasn't. She didn't know if she could still remember what had happened in all the universes she had been to but she was sure she wouldn't be able to remember a new one. But what if she was stranded in this shifting world for ever? She pushed the thought away and followed Willow.
The others had already started eating. They just smiled when Willow and Kyla entered the room but didn't say anything. Kyla smiled inwardly. So many things had happened since she had started shifting and now she was in love with Willow? Wow. She thought about Michael. Had she really loved him? Did she really love him? It almost felt like a dream. So far away and yet so real. Deep in her heart she still longed for him but the last days (or were it already weeks?) had made reality seem so distant and unimportant and even the people she had loved seemed to be fading from her memory. She shook her head and tried to concentrate on the plate in front of her. It seemed to swim in and out of focus.
"Are you alright?" Giles asked, "You look rather pale."
"I'm not feeling well. I think I'll return to my quarters."
"You are definitely ill. Come on, I'll bring you to your room." Willow said and got up. Giles put his arm on her shoulder and shook his head. He got up and stood next to Kyla when she got up. He laid his arm around her waist and led her out of the room and up the stairs.
"You've been doing magic," he stated when they entered her room. "I told you not to try it again. You don't remember, do you?"
Kyla shook her head an d let herself fall onto the bed.
"The last time you tried to do magic you nearly jinxed me. Please don't try to do anything like that again, please promise me that. Now lie down. How do you feel?"
"I'm feeling guilty and sick."
"Do you want me to stay with you for a while? Or do you want me to call Willow?"
"No, please stay. I need to get down to Earth for a while. I feel like everything is spinning around me and I'm too slow for everything. What's happening to me? How can it be that I'm falling in love with Willow? How can it be that I'm shifting through different universes and why hasn't anybody told me about the amulet that was supposed to change me? I can't find answers to the thousand questions in my head. I need answers and not more questions. Giles, help me!"
Kyla broke out in tears and Giles cradled her in his arms and rocked her like a baby. She felt so helpless and she didn't know which questions to ask first. She knew that she wouldn't get an answer if she asked the wrong questions first but which one was the right question and whom to ask?
"Don't cry, Kyla. Things will clear eventually. And you will find the answers you seek. Now try to get some sleep. I'm sure you need it."
"Don't go away," Kyla mumbled and felt Giles' lips brush her forehead before she fell asleep.
Chapter 43 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 43/?
by CHris

She had again fallen asleep in Giles' arms. This could be nothing but a dream. But if felt real. As real as it felt now. She was lying in someone's arms. It was cold and everything was wet. Where was she? She heard voices approaching and then there was Parker's voice. She was in the universe where she had nearly drowned. She opened her eyes and looked into Parkers eyes.
"Thank God you're alive. The paramedics are coming and we'll get you into hospital."
"No, not to hospital," Kyla croaked. She looked at Tinkerbell who was still sitting on Parker's shoulder. What if she wished herself away right now? She tried to sit up but Parker held her down.
"You're going to hospital for further examination. You nearly died and I'm not gonna let you walk out of this like nothing has happened. Not after yesterday."
The paramedics arrived. She hated to be helpless. They checked her heart and her breathing, asked a few stupid questions and jacked an IV into her arm. She felt like screaming. She didn't want to go to hospital. She felt fine. The paramedic just smiled.
"Many people told us they were fine after they nearly drowned and later back at hospital they died. No, young lady, you're coming with us. Now inhale deeply – this is pure oxygen."
She hated cables and needles that were coming and going from her body. And this cable in her face was the worst. From the corner of her eyes she saw the other paramedic with a stretcher coming towards her. She wanted to jump up and run away. Far away. Tinkerbell came flying towards her and sat down on her chest.
"Calm down and relax," she said. "Nobody here can see me and you're in capable hands. You need some rest before you come back to the other universe with me. There are a lot of things that need to be done. Now relax. Or at least try to," she added after a second look at Kyla's face. The paramedics lifted her onto the stretcher and carried her towards the waiting ambulance. Parker walked beside her and looked everything but happy. She tried to hold eye contact with Kyla but Kyla turned her head away from her.
"Don't pout," Tinkerbell whispered, "She loves you and only wants your best."
"It's too much," Kyla whispered back.

They drove to the hospital and even though Kyla kept protesting she was put in the intensive care unit. They hooked her up to more machines and more cables were attached to her body. She felt like a porcupine even though she only had a single needle in her arm. All those cables and the beeping of the machines made her nervous – and the beeping was far from being regular. Was it her? Was she really ill? She tried to recall what had happened back in the lake. She had dived headfirst into the water and the air was pressed from her lungs. Then there had been Tinkerbell and she had been talking underwater and then she had felt like drowning and Parker had pulled her from the water. Another inexplicable mystery. How had she been able to breathe under water and where had Tinkerbell come from?
She turned her head when she heard a noise at the window. Tinkerbell was sitting outside and seemed to be talking to someone. The doors opened and Parker came inside with a Doctor. They were talking to each other as if she wasn't there.
"Hello, I'm here."
"Sorry, Kyla, we didn't mean to be rude," the Doctor said. She looked a lot like Dr. Janet Fraser from Stargate only a little younger. She smiled at Kyla who tried to smile back. Then she remembered that she was angry at Parker and stopped smiling. Parker looked at little hurt.
"We're gonna let you go home tonight. Just a few more tests. You're a strong and healthy young woman but we're worried about some readings from your heart. It's irregular sometimes and that's not good but not life threatening and we're sure we'll find the cause. Your aunt is going to stay with you for the time being. You'll stay in ICU until tonight and we'll keep a close watch on you. And in case you're still angry at your aunt – it was the best thing she could have done. You might have died back at the lake. She saved your life."
"I'm not angry. Can you take the needle out?"
"No, it stays where it is. We need an intravenous access in case something happens."
"And you promise you let me go tonight?"
"I can't promise anything. If nothing happens you're free to go but if we find something abnormal you're staying."
"I'm fine and I'm going home tonight."
"We'll see. Take care of her, Michelle, will you?"
"Sure, Janet, I will. You know me," she smiled.
The Doctor closed the door behind her and Kyla looked at Michelle.
"What's her name? She didn't say her name."
"That's Janet Fraser. We went to school together. I didn't even know she was working in this hospital. How do you feel? I know you hate to be in hospital but you were dead when I pulled you out of the lake. You didn't breathe and your heart beat was erratic. I was so worried. I started CPR until you started to breathe again and then called 911 with your cell phone. You scared me to death, honey."
"I didn't mean to but something was down in the lake."
"Don't tell her," Tinkerbell suddenly whispered at her ear.
"What was down there?"
"My foot got caught in something. I don't know what it was. When I came free I tried to get to the surface but I didn't have enough air."
"Thanks," Tinkerbell whispered, "If you had mentioned me she would have been able to see me. Are you fit to go? If you are you tell her that you need some sleep and we're gone."
"Thanks for saving my life. And thanks for being there when I need you."
"I'll be there for you whenever you need me. And you can tell me everything. Keep that in mind. Now you try to get some sleep. You nearly died an hour ago you must feel exhausted."
She kissed Kyla on the cheek and got up to close the curtains. Kyla closed her eyes and nodded to Tinkerbell that she was ready to leave. Tinkerbell hadn't said where she was needed so badly but she doubted that she would go anywhere pleasant. She closed her eyes and the spinning began again. She hated when Tink did that.

–—
Chapter 44 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 44/?
by CHris

"Are you feeling alright? Ensign? Can you hear me?"
She opened her eyes. Where was she? She was sitting on the floor and leaning against a wall. A man was crouching in front of her, his hands on her shoulders shaking her slightly. Who was he? And then she remembered. She was aboard the Enterprise. The last time she had been here she had left the bridge and had wished herself away. And it had worked. But who was he?
"Ensign?"
"I'm fine. Thank you, sir."
He helped her up and she peered around the corner. On the bridge there was the same chaos there had been when she left. She needed to get near a science station to get their position. Their position was important. And maybe she could get back to the other Enterprise as well and ask them to get to that position as well. She fingered for the implant in her arm but it wasn't there. Technology like that hadn't been invented yet she supposed. She looked at her wrist. No watch but the protection band. Willow was still with her. She smiled. She straightened her uniform and stepped onto the bridge. Nobody seemed to notice her. They didn't even look up. She walked over and came to stand next to Ensign Hoshi Sato. Nobody had seemed to mind her walking around the bridge. Or they were too preoccupied with the things happening around the ship. The only one who smiled at her was Hoshi who was sitting at a science station and she hoped to get a glance at their position. Or maybe she would tell her if she asked. But she didn't dare. It was eerily silent on the bridge. Nobody was talking.
"Hi Kyla. Do you need something?" Hoshi whispered.
"I know it sounds weird but what's our current position? I need to know that for some calculations."
"We're next to an uncharted planet. The Captain called it Abydos. Does this help you or do you need coordinates? This is a dangerous situation, I don't want to ask you what you need these coordinates for and I'm not the one who told you, OK?"
"Thanks. Coordinates would be great but if you don't feel comfortable with telling me the name will do as well."
"Would be better. Where are you going now?"
"Trying to make myself useful with repairs and cleaning up."
"Go to sickbay and ask Phlox if you can help him. There are many wounded people and he can need any help he gets."
"OK, I will go there. Thanks again. Let's hope this is over soon. See you then."
"See you."
She walked over to the turbolift. Still nobody seemed to notice her. Only when the doors started to close she heard someone rushing over and the doors opened again. It was Ensign Mayweather. He smiled at her.
"Where are you going?"
"Trying to make myself useful in sickbay. I heard Phlox needs help and there's nothing for me to do on the bridge. Where are you going?"
"Nowhere. I wanted a few seconds with you without anybody looking."
And to her surprise he held her close and kissed her. She let go of the control panel and the lift stopped. That had been the last thing she had expected.
"Are you alright? You seem a little agitated?"
"I'm fine. Guess it's just the circumstances that make it a little confusing. My mind's somewhere else."
"Sorry."
"No need to apologize. My fault. I'll see you when all this is over, OK?"
"Sure. Don't let Phlox harm you," he said and the turbolift started moving again. He kissed her on the nose before she left the turbolift. Surprise! Another affair. But much better than Harry Kim. And a little more color in her life was perfect. She grinned when she stood in front of sickbay. She knew where she was going? She had no idea where on the ship sickbay was situated but the doors were unmistakably those of sickbay, they held the corresponding symbol. She pressed the button to open the door. But she didn't see sickbay. But it was a familiar sight. The door was filled with a watery substance. Like a Stargate. But somehow the sight was familiar. Hadn't she crossed to another universe like that before? She had lost count of how often she had changed universe but it must have been at least 30 times. Did it matter? No. She took a step forward and stepped into the open Stargate. The world turned upside down and up again while she was speeding through to the next universe but it was a funny feeling at first. Then she wished it to stop. Why didn't it stop? This took much too long!
Chapter 45 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 45/?
by CHris

She stumbled out of the Stargate and the doors to sickbay closed behind her. Janeway looked up.
"Ah, there you are, Ensign. What took you so long?"
"Sorry, I had a few stops in other universes."
"Why didn't you contact us?"
"The implant from Dr. Crusher only works in universes where this kind of technology has already been invented."
"Lt. Torres has found a way to use the implant as a homing beacon to bring you back to Voyager if it should become necessary. Have you found out about the coordinates?"
"Aboard the Enterprise NX-01 I got a name but no coordinates. I don't know if this is useful but I couldn't get anything else."
Janeway nodded and B'Elanna moved some instrument over the implant in her arm. She didn't feel anything and had no idea what this was all about but she thought she knew what would be coming. She had to beam once more across the galaxy.
"Finished. We can give it a try. You can ask their position and then come back. Just push the implant twice and you'll be back here if it works."
"What if it doesn't work?"
"Then you'll be on the Enterprise and nothing has happened. A failsafe device. If it can't get you back here it will get you nowhere else. You will stay right where you are. But I hope it will work. You have to believe in my work, Kyla," she grinned. "How's it going? Getting used to the new way of walking?"
"Yeah, kind of. I'm trying not to think about it and it somehow works." She didn't want to admit that she had completely forgotten about it. She wondered what would happen if she returned to the universe where she wasn't able to walk. Would she forget that and try to get up and fall? One could get used to being able to walk again very fast. And somehow she felt guilty about it. Janeway looked at her and Kyla looked at her arm. The implant was there and clearly visible under her skin. It felt somehow funny. She tapped it once and hoped that the Enterprise in the Alpha Quadrant would find her signal and beam her back aboard safely. And if something went wrong completely at least the Voyager universe would be over and maybe the Enterprise universe as well. She only wished she'd had more time to read Giles' diary that Tom had found under her sofa. She dissolved in blue light and even though it seemed to take forever she rematerialized. O'Brien smiled at her.
"Welcome back."
She looked around the room. A transporter room aboard the Enterprise – definitely.
"O'Brien to sickbay. Ensign Parker's back."
"Tell her to wait, I'll be there immediately."
"You heard the doc. You look a little shaken, are you alright?"
"I think so. Being beamed halfway across the universe feels different that beaming short-distance."
The door opened and Dr. Crusher and Data entered the room.
"Are you alright?"
"Yes, Dr. Crusher, I am. This was part of an experiment. Can I speak to Captain Picard? Please?"
"Let's go to my office. I have many questions."
They walked through the ship towards sickbay. She felt like a convict being escorted to her cell. Data was holding her by the arm. She supposed it was meant to be a helping gesture but it really felt different.
"Are you afraid I will run away, Data?"
"No, why?"
"Because you're holding me by the arm."
"I wanted to support you."
"I'm fine, thank you. I can walk on my own."
Dr. Crusher grinned and entered sickbay first. They went into her office and via intercom Kyla was able to talk to Captain Picard. She asked him to give her the ship's position and told her all about the experiment B'Elanna had started. She didn't want to go back there but to her it felt like her duty. She was a Starfleet officer and officers had their duties.
"This experiment sounds very complicated but our position is no secret. We're next to Risa. I hope it works. Are we talking about the implant that Data and Geordie made?"
"Yes, Sir but Lt. Torres somehow improved it so it would work as a homing beacon. And she installed a failsafe device so it wouldn't work at all if something went wrong. So nothing can happen. Either I'll be back aboard Voyager or I'll stay here."
"That sound's good to me. Good lock. Picard out."
His picture disappeared from the screen to be replaced by a Starfleet symbol. Dr. Crusher didn't seem too happy to have to let Kyla go again.
"Hope to be back soon - and I hope it works," she added then she tapped the device in her arm twice. At first nothing happened but then the world turned blue and she dematerialized to rematerialize on the other side of the galaxy again.
"It worked, didn't it?" B'Elanna asked.
"Yes, it did. They're in orbit over Risa. But what does this device do when I'm in a universe where this technology hasn't been invented yet? I have to find my own way home then. And I have to find where home is first. Asking permission to go to my quarters. I need some rest."
"Permission granted. And you're relieved of your duty until further notice if you don't mind."
"That's OK. Anything you don't want me to do?"
"No, Ensign, you're free to do whatever you please but I'd say you would do good to get some rest. No offense, but you look terrible."
"No offense taken."
Kyla smiled and left sickbay. She would spend the evening on the sofa reading Giles' diary and maybe she would be able to change that future. Maybe there would never be something like that. The Hellmouth wouldn't open because she knew where the First Slayer's axe was and she knew what Willow had to do to save them all and – but those were thoughts she had to start thinking once she had managed to find a way to get to her own universe and she had to knew which one her real universe was.
She was standing in front of her now familiar quarters. The door wouldn't open. She asked the computer to check for malfunctions. Nothing happened. She pushed the button again and again. She hadn't heard Harry coming to stand beside her and jumped when he put his hand on her shoulder.
"Are you OK? Do you need help?"
"Don't you ever do this again!" Kyla hissed at him, "You nearly scared me to death. And yes, I could use some help. The door won't open."
Harry pushed the button but nothing happened. He took a tricorder from his belt and ran it over the panel. He pushed a few buttons but nothing happened.
"Are you angry with me for what has happened on the holodeck?"
"No, that was my fault. But there are so many things on my mind I don't have time to think about a relationship if you don't mind." She wasn't ready to admit that she wasn't ready for a relationship with HIM but she didn't want to hurt him. The Kyla from this universe seemed to love him and he seemed to love her but she didn't…
"I'll get some equipment to fix that door. I'll be back in a few minutes."
He left without another word and somehow she had a bad conscience. She tried to open the door again. It didn't react to the buttons she pushed.
"Computer, open the door."
"Unable to comply."
"Why?"
"Unable to comply. Security clearance necessary."
"Ensign Parker to Captain Janeway."
"This is Janeway."
"Sorry to disturb you but the computer says I need security clearance to open the door to my quarters. Harry tried to open the door as well but it didn't work. What am I supposed to do now?"
"Lt. Tuvok and Lt. Torres will be on their way. Stay away from the door. Both of you."
"Yes, ma'am."
Only a few moments later Tuvok and B'Elanna emerged from the turbolift. Both were holding weapons and didn't look very happy. B'Elanna approached the door with her tricorder. It looked different than Harry's tricorder. larger and it obviously knew more – or B'Elanna did.
"Torres to Captain Janeway. Would you please come down to Ensign Parker's quarters? The tricorder says that there's a spatial anomaly behind this door. And can you bring Seven?"
"On my way."
When Janeway and Seven emerged from the turbolift she already felt like she was at the wrong place. Nobody seemed to take notice of her and Harry hadn't come back yet. Maybe she had hurt his feelings. She so much wished to be able to simply go into that room, grab Giles' diary and forget what was happening around her. But she knew that behind that door might be an explanation to what really happened. She had almost forgotten that there had been spatial anomalies because of Tinkerbell and her way of changing universes. And maybe this anomaly would hold the answers. The computer asked for security clearance again but didn't accept Tuvok's clearance. Janeway stepped forward and ordered the computer to open the door. The door opened and everybody stepped back. The door was filled with a blue shimmering light. Kyla smiled. Her way out, her backdoor. She would leave this universe. She stepped forward and wanted to step into the Stargate but Janeway held her back.
"We don't know what it is. Stay away from it," B'Elanna ordered and looked at her tricorder. She frowned.
"This is a stable wormhole," Kyla explained.
"She's right," B'Elanna said after a second look on her tricorder, "How do you know?"
"I know this kind of technology. It's harmless and will bring me to another universe."
"Are you sure? How do you know? Do you think you will be able to take something with you?" B'Elanna asked curiously, still staring at her tricorder.
"I am sure and I know because I have walked through a wormhole like this before. I don't know if I can take something with me but I could try if you let me go."
"I'm not sure if I can risk letting you go through that thing. What if it's not what we think?"
"Please let me go. It's my life I'm risking, isn't it?"
"It is but I'm your commanding officer," Captain Janeway interrupted, "But I'm letting you go anyway. This is a stable wormhole. I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it controlled from somewhere near?"
"There are control stations all over the galaxy. One is stationed on Earth but I'm not sure if this kind of technology is still in use. It was part of a secret experimental series. Do you know what the Cheyenne Mountain complex was used for in the 21st century?"
"Cheyenne Mountain? Wasn't it the beginning of extraterrestrial observation? Somewhere on the North American continent."
"Yes, exactly. It was called Stargate Program. I'm not sure if this information is still classified but I think you should have access to this kind of information."
"I will look this up while you're away. Now go before I change my mind. And good luck."
"Thank you, Captain."
Kyla turned around and stepped into the Stargate.
Chapter 46 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An Imaginative View Of The World 46/?
by CHris

The voyage through the wormhole was longer than she anticipated. But then it stopped and the Stargate closed behind her. The four people in front of her turned around and pointed their weapons at her.
"Who are you? What do you want?"
Kyla put her hands up. This was new. She was in a universe where they didn't know who she was. She wasn't part of the team.
"Who are you?" Colonel Jack O'Neill asked again. Kyla just stared at him. She was deep in her thoughts.
"Put down the weapons," Major Samantha Carter said and stepped towards Kyla. "Take your hands down. Do you understand me? Can you tell me who you are?"
"I'm Kyla Parker."
She looked at her clothes. She was wearing a uniform like the others. The same equipment and even the same weapons. Even though O'Neill eyes her suspiciously she fingered for the protection band. It was still there. Then she searched for the implant in her arm. It felt different but it was definitely there. She had traveled back in time, to her own time, and it had come along? How was that possible? Carter was standing in front of her. She was unarmed and looked down on her.
"Kyla Parker? What are you doing here? Why are you wearing our clothes? What are you?"
"Would you please stop asking so many questions at once, Major?"
"You know me?"
"Yes, I know you. And to answer your other questions, I am as human as you are and I don't know what I'm doing here and why I'm wearing a U.S. Air force uniform."
"Carter, what's going on?"
"We have to inform General Hammond. I'm taking her to Earth and have Dr. Fraiser take a look at her. I have no idea what's going on."
"How can you be sure you can trust her? She could be a Goa'uld or whatever."
"She's no Goa'uld," Teal'c said and looked at Carter and Kyla, "Let's contact General Hammond to inform him that we will conduct the search without Major Carter."
Dr. Jackson hadn't said a word yet. He had been standing behind Teal'c and Jack. He looked at Kyla.
"She looks somehow familiar to me," he said.
"Stop talking about me like I'm not here," Kyla said angrily.
"Sorry. Come on, we've got to talk to General Hammond and then we're going home."
Kyla sat down on the stairs that were leading up to the Stargate. She felt exhausted. But somehow she was glad that she wasn't some kind of personality in this universe. The others were just as lost as she was.
"Parker, you have to get away from the Stargate."
Kyla got up and came to stand next to Major Carter who was standing in front of the M.A.L.P. The gate opened and she activated a link to the Stargate Centre.
"General Hammond, we have a problem. Asking permission to bring someone to the Stargate Centre."
"Who is it?"
"We don't know. Her name is Kyla Parker. She's wearing our uniform and knows who we are but we don't know anything about her."
"Where is she?"
"I'm here, General."
"A Human? Permission granted. Bring her here immediately."
"I want Dr. Fraiser to have a look at her. She looks a little sick."
"Permission granted. Tell the others to continue the mission without you. Hammond out."
Carter put her hand on Kyla's shoulder and gently pushed her towards the Stargate. Kyla wondered if she would emerge with Carter on the other side immediately. Normally this gate would bring her to another universe. She had thought to be able to spend a longer period in one universe. Carter pushed her through the gate and stepped through behind Kyla.
When they emerged from the gate again her hand was still on her shoulder. She hadn't changed universes? She smiled inwardly. Maybe she was in her own universe now and the switching would stop? She didn't know if this was her universe or if she wanted to end in this universe. She had always liked watching Stargate but it meant that there was another new universe where she could switch to if it hadn't ended yet. Another universe where she had to remember details, names and faces. But it had worked in the other universes – it would work here as well.
"Guns down," General Hammond ordered his men who were standing around the Stargate. Kyla and Carter walked down the ramp.
"Who are you? What are you?"
"My name's Kyla Parker. I'm a normal human woman. And I have no idea where I came from and how I ended up being with the SG-1 team."
"But you know about this secret missions. That makes me a little suspicious. Can you explain further?"
"She won't explain anything," came a commanding voice from the door, "She's coming with me now. She looks sick and I need to run a few tests to confirm who and what she is."
"An armed guard will be stationed at the door. I don't want to take risks."
"Hello, I'm Dr. Fraiser. Please come with me to the infirmary."
Kyla just stared at her. She didn't know what she was supposed to do. Should she laugh because she was happy that the Stargate hadn't brought her to another universe or should she cry because she had to attend another medical check. Dr. Fraiser looked at her. Carter's hand was still on her shoulder. This was something she had always dreamed of, wasn't it? She was inside the Cheyenne Mountain Complex and she was a part of the Stargate universe. Why did she feel like crying?
Carter gently pushed her forward and Fraiser took her by the arm. Together they kind of escorted her to the infirmary.
"Sit down on the bed and take off your equipment. Hand the guns to Major Carter."
"SHE'S WEARING GUNS???"
"Sam, calm down. Nobody seemed to notice and she didn't use them. We shouldn't have problems with her."
"Don't talk about me like I'm not here," Kyla protested weakly.
"OK, for the protocol. What's your name?"
"Kyla Parker."
"May I call you Kyla?"
"Sure."
"Where do you come from?"
"Minnesota."
"Like Colonel O'Neill? Where?"
"White Bear Lake, that's near Minneapolis."
"Definitely human. I know it's not very nice but I need to do some tests. I need a blood sample. And I need you to tell me what's been going on."
"What do you mean? I came through the Stargate from – from the future. Can I talk to General Hammond about that?"
"You can but we have to finish here first. Would you please lie down?"
Kyla laid down and Dr. Fraiser and a few meds wheeled masses of computers and other equipment next to the bed.
"What's that supposed to be?" Kyla asked, "Haven't you had a chance to ask your computers if they know something? And would you please get General Hammond? That would make a lot of things easier."
Fraiser and Carter looked at each other and Carter nodded. She took the phone from the wall and asked Hammond to come down to the infirmary. It took a few minutes but when he finally entered the room he looked anything but happy.
"She insisted, General."
"Do you think you are in a condition to insist on anything?"
"Yes, I do. And I wanted you to hear my whole story."
Kyla once more told her story and they even seemed to know the TV shows she was talking about. When she came to the point where the implant started to play an important role Dr. Fraiser insisted on having a look at Kyla's arm. It was still there but without 24th century technology it wasn't visible.
"Would you mind if I x-rayed that? I need to x-ray you anyway, though."
"I know that I don't belong here but there's really nothing in your computers?"
"I haven't had time to look that up, Kyla, but I think it should be time by now to do so. Janet, do the x-ray and I'll get on the computer."
Kyla had to take off her black shirt for the x-ray. She stared at her wrist. The protection band was still there.
"We have to take that off."
"That's impossible. I can't take it off."
"Then we cut it off. And don't try to stop me. I will do it."
She took a pair of scissors off the table and came to stand beside Kyla who wanted to pull her arm away. But Dr. Fraiser held her and wanted to cut the band. A white light appeared and the band was gone. But only the band itself. A dark green line was still visible but it was like a tattoo on Kyla's wrist. Fraiser yelped.
"What was that? What did you do?"
"I didn't do anything. Like I told you, this is some kind of protection spell and it worked. Now nobody can take it away from me. Didn't you want to do an x-ray?"
Kyla smiled. So Willow was still with her and the protection spell really worked. She had always been afraid that something like that would happen. She was just glad that nothing had happened to Dr. Fraiser. Everybody would have made her responsible for that. Even though Sam Carter was still in the same room she doubted that she had seen or heard what had been going on but suddenly she was standing next to her and pointing a weapon at her.
"Don't try to do anything stupid or I will shoot you. There was nothing in the computers about you – at least not in the military way. I found someone named Kyla Parker who lives in White Bear lake. Just tell me if this is you: born in St. Paul, member of the local ballet performance group, currently living with Michelle Parker at –"
"Stop, yes, that's me – at least I think so. Would you please put the gun away?"
"Sam, please. She didn't do anything, she warned not to do it but I did it anyway."
"Where is the band you cut off?"
""Good question. There was nothing. There was a white light and then the green line appeared on her skin as if the band itself disappeared."
Carter put the gun into her waistband and stepped towards her. She took Kyla's hand and examined the green line around her wrist. She didn't look very happy.
"You wanted to do an x-ray. Would that line be visible as well?"
"Maybe, if we are lucky but only as a faint shadow. But there are a few other medical examinations I want to do and maybe they can help to find out more about that thing. Have you found any medical files on our young lady?"
"I'm still here, hello!"
Samantha and Janet just looked at her and smiled and continued their conversation as if she wasn't there. The telephone on the wall rang and Dr. Fraser took the receiver. She didn't say a word for a few minutes but ended the call with a short "Yes, sir," and hung up. She looked at Kyla and somehow she didn't like that look. The same look appeared on Samantha Carter's face and they walked straight towards her. Not good at all.
"Sorry," Carter mumbled and took Kyla by the shoulders. She gently pushed her onto the bed she had been sitting on. From the corner of her eyes she saw a quick movement and felt something cold at her neck. Morphine Sulfate, she thought before she blacked out.
Chapter 47 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 47/?
by CHris

A warm wind was caressing her face and soft music was playing in the background. She slowly opened her eyes. She was sitting in a car. Next to her someone else was sleeping. She was sitting in the back and a man smiled through the rear view mirror at her.
"Hey Kyla, how are you?" he whispered.
"Fine so far, how is she?"
"I don't know. She's been sleeping for quite a while now but not very easily. I don't know if I can dare to use any anaesthetics to make her sleep easier. How are your legs?"
"I don't know. Can I sit in the front with you? And I need a toilet."
"There's a roadhouse a few miles ahead where we can stop. Can you feel her pulse? How is she?"
"She feels cold and her pulse is irregular. What's happening here? That can't be the drug, can it?"
"Maybe Lyle has been extra unfair and has created some kind of virus? Not only a drug but something more lethal? But that would mean that everybody you had contact with is affected. I can't feel anything. Have there been any cases of illness in the other places you've been?"
"No. It has always been me who has been killed or drugged or otherwise sedated. Somehow I feel like a magnet to things like that."
Jarod grinned. He stirred the car from the highway to the roadhouse and stopped. When he pulled the keys from the ignition Kira woke up. She smiled weakly but remained in her seat. Kyla opened the door and wanted to get out. Thanks to Jarod's fast reaction she didn't hit the ground. She had completely forgotten that her legs didn't work like they used to do.
"A little early, honey, isn’t it? Do you feel anything?"
"Yes, it hurts."
"Good sign," Jarod grinned and lifted her up. "Do you want to try to do a few steps or do you want the wheelchair?"
"I want my legs back," she hissed but smiled. "Let's do a few steps but towards the toilet please."
It was hard but her legs were returning to normal – very slowly. While she was sitting on the toilet she tried to remember what had happened in this universe. They were on their way to somewhere to meet with someone. That someone was Samantha Waters but where was somewhere? She would find out soon enough. She pulled herself up and opened the door. Jarod was waiting outside and put his arm around her waist to help her. She leaned into him and together they walked back to the car. Kira was standing outside the car with a bottle of water in her hands. But something seemed wrong.
"Jarod, there's a black Lincoln over there," Kira whispered, "and I think they're watching us. Don't panic, Kyla, we'll manage. They're looking for us, yes, but I think they're looking for a bunch of people who are looking and behaving different. They're not looking for a pregnant woman and a girl who can't walk. They're searching for a trio of good-looking and healthy people."
"That's it, I knew that something was wrong. Where did you get the pillow from?"
Kira grinned and helped Kyla into the front seat. She got into the car and Jarod started the car. Slowly they drove towards the highway while Kira watched the black car. The men sitting inside had closed the doors and had started their car as well. They were following them in a close distance. Jarod cursed under his breath. But when he drove onto the highway they drove off into the opposite direction. Kyla and Kira exhaled.
"We have to get to Findlay as soon as possible. Kyla needs a new hairdo and so do you, Jarod. And I need a smaller pillow or at least something that looks more like a pregnant belly than this thing. They're not searching for me but I want to be prepared. And once they put a pregnant woman into their wanted add I can take the pillow away and change into someone else. God, I was so scared they might catch us. That they have recognized Jarod – nice moustache by the way," she said and grinned broadly. Kyla looked at him. She hadn't even realized that he had a beard. She had been too concerned with herself and her legs. They were returning to normal. Her knee hurt. That would mean that she would be able to walk again very soon and that she would get a chance to run away if she had to. That had been the one thing she had feared most: not being able to run while the sweepers were chasing them. And rolling in a wheelchair might be fun when you had the chance to stand up afterwards and walk away but not when you were trying to escape a group of well-trained killers.
"How do you feel, Kira? Is everything OK?"
"Yeah, I'm better. Don't know what happened but the idea of being pregnant was great. I don't think I would have had the idea with the pillow if you hadn't mentioned that earlier. The black car has already been there when we arrived. When did you put on that moustache?"
"While we were driving and the two of you were sleeping. Don't worry, they won't get us. They haven't caught me the last 7 years. They won't do so the next 7 years, I promise."
"If you say so. How long until we are in Findlay?"
"Another 2 hours or so. It's still 130 miles away. I don't want to risk another stop, do you think you can manage that?"
"We could sleep for a little while or we could switch drivers again," Kira suggested.
"I don't mind what you're doing but we're not stopping the car. That was close enough. If you can sleep that would be great so we could use the night for discussions but if you think you're fit that's fine with me too."
Jarod was obviously nervous so she decided to say nothing. She opened the window and enjoyed the warm wind again. The last time it had made her sleepy but this time she just enjoyed it. She was worried about Kira. What if the drug Lyle had created hadn't been a drug but a virus? But would that make sense? No, it wouldn't, she was sure about that.
She stared at her reflection in the window. She didn't look like herself anymore. She looked strange. She closed her eyes. Who was she anyway?
"Kyla?" her mother's voice whispered and she felt someone taking her hand. She opened her eyes again. That was her mother's voice and her mother was looking at her. She was lying in bed and her mother looked down on her. She was sitting on a chair next to the bed. She saw cables and other strange things that connected her to lots of machines and she heard strange sounds she couldn't identify. She didn't know where she was or why she wasn't sitting in the car anymore but she assumed that this was the universe she called reality. Could it be real?
"You're awake? How do you feel?"
Kyla found herself unable to answer. Her voice didn't work.
"Don't speak. There are cables in your throat to make it easier for you to breathe. Thank God, you're alive."
She didn't like it here. And she wanted to get away from here as soon as possible. Her mother got up and stepped through the door. When she came back in a woman in white clothes accompanied her. She looked like Dr. Janet Fraiser from Stargate. That was kind of a déja vue, wasn't it? She had seen that woman in hospital before when she had been in another universe, the universe with Michelle Parker. Was this real? Was this where she belonged? That couldn't be real. This had to be another universe.
"She's awake? That's much too early. She needs more time to heal. Kyla, don't worry, but I will have to put you back to sleep again. You're so lucky to have a mother like that. She's been here ever since you came here. But don't worry, you'll be fine soon."
She took a syringe and pushed the needle into the IV bottle that was hanging next to her bed. From one second to the next she felt sleepy and fell asleep again.
Chapter 48 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.
Note: The "Our Lady of Mercy College" really exists – but not in White Bear Lake. It was the school I attended when I was in Parramatta / Australia. It's a Catholic Girl's college run by nuns. Thanks to everyone I met there and helped me having a wonderful time!

An Imaginative View Of The World 48/?
by CHris

Kyla opened her eyes. She was still in hospital. She hadn't changed places? No, she had changed. There were less machines standing around her bed and the beeping wasn't regular. She was somewhere else. But where? The universe with Jarod and Parker in New Zealand had ended, hadn't it? She had died. The universe with the other Miss Parker. She didn't know if she wanted to close her eyes again and go to another universe immediately or stay here for a while and try to find out more about this universe. Hadn't this been where she had seen Doc Fraiser before? She had seen her in what had once been the real world. Maybe she was just hallucinating? Or she was sitting in a loony bin, in a padded cell, drugged and completely wrapped up in daydreaming without ANY connection to what was real. Her real life seemed so far away. Normal life where she had gone to school, had loved to read science fiction books, had been secretly in love with Michael, had done ballet and written stories. Normal days with quarrels with her mom, meetings with her friends and Sundays where she had spent half of the day in bed. Yes, she had found new friends in all these universes and everything seemed real – except for the fact that she had seen all those people on TV. They were actors, the stories were invented and NOTHING WAS REAL! Or so it had seemed. She yelped when someone gently touched her by the shoulder.
"You alright?"
She opened her eyes. Janet Fraiser was standing next to her bed and smiled down on her.
"Yeah, sure. Can I go?"
"No, you're staying. I can't let you go like this. Your heartbeat is very irregular but don't worry," she added when she saw the scared look on Kyla's face, "this is nothing we can't fix, I'm sure."
"For how long have you been working here? I think I've seen you somewhere else before."
"Not very long. I've been at a military hospital before and sometimes I'm working with paramedics. Why do you ask?"
"I don't know. Paramedics? Have you been at the car crash where my parents died?"
It felt wrong to ask that question. That was part of this universe and hadn't really happened, had it? And she knew that Janet Fraiser was part of the Stargate universe. Could it be that the universes were starting to merge into each other?
"I don't know, honey. Are you sure, you're alright?"
"I'm sure. Please, I'm just trying to find out where I've seen you before."
"Maybe at school? I have a daughter your age and I've attended a few school performances."
"What school? What's your daughter's name?"
"Her name's Cassandra and she's going to the Our Lady of Mercy College in White Bear Lake."
"That's my school. Now I know where I've seen you before. Thank you. Maybe you've seen me as well at the performances, I'm in the ballet group."
How old was she in this universe? She remembered meeting Krystal and KB in this universe and they had been talking about the sports carnival at school.
"The sports carnival – was that today?"
"Yes, it was. Sorry you couldn't attend. Michelle said something that you weren't feeling well last night. And that's exactly what I wanted to talk about."
Had she told someone – except Krystal and KB – that she wasn't from this universe? She doubted that. She had acted like she was part of this universe and she wasn't sure if she should trust Dr. Fraiser. She was a wonderful woman but what if it was just a coincidence and she had never been to the Stargate program? It wasn't worth the risk. She had to play her part and pretend to belong to this universe.
"What has happened yesterday? Michelle said something about something weird you told her."
She HAD told Michelle her story. She remembered now. She had left a few things out but she had told her that she was switching through the universes. And obviously Parker hadn't believed the story.
"Something weird? What did she tell you?"
"She said that you lost consciousness twice and said something about not belonging here. Does it sound familiar?"
"Yes," Kyla sighed, "it does. But I fainted only once."
"Oh, that's great to hear. Kyla, I've been talking about what you said."
"Do we need to talk about that?"
"Yes, we do. Maybe that helps me explaining what's wrong with you. Kyla, I have no idea what's the matter with you. You're a really healthy young lady and you're heart's as healthy as you are. There's nothing wrong with it except for the fact that it doesn't beat like it's supposed to do. And there's another girl who said that she's coming from another universe and that she doesn't belong here."
"Another girl? What's her name?"
"First you tell me what's happening, please. I want to help you, OK?"
So Kyla told her story. This time she told it without leaving anything out. At least she tried to. She told Dr. Fraiser everything she remembered.
"That sounds unbelievable. We will run a few tests and try to find out what's happening – if that's OK with you."
"It's alright."
"Good, now you need some sleep."
"Sleep? But I'm not tired at all!"
"Then I will have to make you sleep, sorry."
She pushed a few buttons on the computer next to Kyla's bed and the beeping sound changed. Dr. Fraiser smiled and put her hand on Kyla's shoulder.
"We'll find a way," she said and left the room. Kyla wondered if she had believed her story but hadn't much time to think about it. Whatever Fraiser had done – she felt it entering her bloodstream and she fell asleep.

–—
Chapter 49 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An Imaginative View Of The World Part 49/?
by CHris

She felt like she had been run over by a truck. Her head was throbbing, everything hurt. Where was she and what had happened? She had no idea.
The girl had moaned. Sam jumped up and went over to the bed. She felt guilty but she had only followed orders from Major Hammond who had ordered them to sedate the girl and do every examination necessary to find out who she was and what had happened and what kind of technology was implanted in her arm. Now she was waking up. Everything had turned out to be OK. And she had said to have come from the future. Well, the technology definitely hadn't been invented yet but the girl herself was from this time. She had been out for a few hours, Janet had sedated her but the dose of Morphium Sulfate would have been enough to knock out a male the size of Teal'c – and Kyla was maybe half his size. But that had been enough time to do every possible examination, test and x-ray they needed and even more.
"Hey, honey, how do you feel?" she asked and sat down on the bed. Kyla turned her head and looked at Sam. She couldn't see her clearly.
"Where am I? What happened?"
"You're in the infirmary. You're alright."
"Major Carter?"
"Yes. How do you feel?"
"Good question. Once I've sorted out my three heads I can tell you."
Samantha grinned and called for Dr. Fraiser to join her. She smiled and checked the readings on the computers that were standing around her bed.
"Sorry about what happened," Fraiser said, "but we had our orders. We have everything we need and can try to sort things out now. If you feel fit enough I'll call General Hammond."
Kyla nodded. It felt strange. Dr. Fraiser was a completely different person but still the same face. Every universe had its own people and even though they looked the same they had a different personality. In the last universe Fraiser had seemed closer to her than she was now. She was a doctor after all but this time it felt different. Kyla had talked to her like she would talk to a teacher. It had felt natural to talk to her but in this universe Fraiser seemed untouchable and somehow far above her. She had to admit that she was a little afraid of her. Very opposite to Major Carter. Kyla felt as if she'd known her for ever even though she had entered this universe not so long ago and everything had gone wrong – from her point of view. She remembered something Colonel O'Neill had said in one episode: If you're not sure, shoot first, ask later. Well, they had definitely shot first. The door opened and General Hammond entered the room.
"There's our little alien. Sorry we had to knock you out for a while. How do you feel?"
"It's getting better, Sir. You could have just asked me to cooperate with the examinations."
"Yes, I could have but the alien technology in your arm was something that made me suspicious. I thought you were another trick of the Goa'uld. I was told you wanted to talk to me. What do you have to say that's so important and how do you know who I am?"
Carter was standing next to her bed now so was Dr. Fraiser. General Hammond took a stool and sat down. He eyed her a little suspiciously but didn't say anything. Kyla told her story like she had told it many times before. Every time she had to tell more because more things were happening and she tried to remember as much as she could so it would be easier for them to understand. She knew that Major Carter was a specialist concerning wormholes so maybe she would be able to help and maybe she would find a way to bring her home. When she had finished her story she looked at Hammond.
"Sir, why did you call me a little alien?"
"I haven't had time to read Dr. Fraiser's report yet and the last time I checked everything screamed to me that you were not human. But if you give me some time to read the report and try to understand what you just told me I will review my first impression. But from what you told me you're far from being an alien."
"Thank you, Sir. But to tell you something: I'm from Minnesota and that is no alien territory. Or you would have to call Colonel O'Neill an alien as well."
"You know very much about us, how's that possible?"
"I don't know if you understand it if I say so – but in another universe Stargate has been a TV series just like Star Trek is to you."
"That doesn't sound very convincing to me but it would explain why you know so much about the Stargate program and its people. Give me some time to read through the reports Dr. Fraiser gave to me and then I'll be back with a few questions. And you're staying in bed. I'll keep an armed guard at the door and under no circumstances are you allowed to leave the infirmary, understood? Oh, what do want me to call you?"
"Kyla, sir."
"OK, Kyla, I'll be back later. Dr. Fraiser, give her something to eat. She looks like she's starving."
Hammond shot her a little smile and left the infirmary. Starving? Kyla tried to remember when she had eaten the last time. She didn't remember. She didn't even remember when she had had something to drink. And to be true – she didn't even know when she had been to the toilet the last time. Well, yes, she remembered, that had been before her mother had made her go to the shrinker. She had had a wonderful lunch – a toast with cheese, onions, salad and vinegar sauce and a whole bottle of diet coke – and before she had left the house she had been to the toilet. But not once had she felt the urge to do so in any of the universes. She had had a cup of tea in the Buffyverse and a piece of chocolate. But she couldn't remember to have had a real meal in any of the universes. It didn't matter. She wasn't really hungry but General Hammond's idea had been great.
"You can choose between curry chicken with rice and spaghetti. And you should try the dessert!"
"Whatever you say, Major."
"Oh, come on. A little more enthusiasm. The casino serves great food! I'll bring you something to eat and meanwhile leave you in the doctor's capable hands."
Carter smiled and left the room. Dr. Fraiser came to stand next to her bed. She looked a little uncomfortable.
"You know, we did a few x-rays and other examinations to find out more about the implant in your arm. But somehow we can't figure out what it really does and if it poses a threat or not. I know that you insist on being human and that you have no connection to the Goa'uld but this thing in your arm and the line you call protection spell make me feel uneasy."
"That means you're asking my permission to cut it out, are you?"
"Kind of, yes."
Kyla stopped in her thoughts. It didn't make sense. If the implant had come along to the past maybe it would work?
"Before you do so, I'd like to try something. I know you don't really trust me but if the implant works I should be able to beam me out of here."
"Beaming? Nice. What makes you so sure that I let you do it? It could well be a weapon."
"I'm calling on your scientific interest. What if it DOES work? What if can just beam away?"
"You'd be gone. Good, but how would you come back? If you ever came back?"
"That's a good question and I don't know an answer. I'd say that I end up here eventually but I'm not sure – that's just a guess. And to be true: I don't care whether you allow it or not, I'm doing it anyway."
"What if I order you not to do it?"
"Can you give me an order? You're a doctor and you can overrule any order given by Major Hammond but I'm not one of your officers. I'm a civilian!"
"You're no civilian, you've been wearing a uniform. Kyla, please. Let's discuss this like normal people would. I know you're angry at me for what I've done but I didn't mean to harm you in any way. And you're not doing yourself a favor. If you return I will have to keep you restrained or sedated the whole time. Don't do it, please."
"Promise me not to try to remove it."
"I won't if you don't consent. You have my word."
"OK. But how do I know if it works?"
"You will find out. First you have something to eat and later we'll talk it through with General Hammond. You're under his command and you're to follow his orders – or mine. Please be the sensible woman I take you for."
The door opened and Major Carter entered the room. She was carrying a tray with food: curry chicken with rice, a huge bowl of salad, something with green and blue stripes Kyla supposed to be the dessert and two cans of diet coke.
"That's what I would have for lunch if I hadn't already eaten. I hope you like it. Hey, what's the matter? You two look like you've had a fight. Everything OK?"
"We had a little discussion but I think we found a solution to the problem."
"Yeah, we're fine. Who's coming for lunch? You don't want me to eat up, do you?"
"That's a small ration. If it were my lunch it would be more."
"How do you do that? You're as skinny as a rake and you can eat that much. While I look at the food I feel that I'm getting fatter."
Samantha Carter grinned and put the tray down onto a table. She sat down onto the far end of the bed and watched Kyla. Now that the food was standing in front of her she didn't feel hungry at all. It looked and smelled great – except for the dessert. She didn't like the stripes. Without much enthusiasm she ate a few bites.
"Already finished?"
"I'm not really hungry."
"Would you mind if I finished it for you?"
"Go on, I don't mind."
She pushed the tray towards Carter who magicked a fork from her pocket and began eating. Kyla took a can and drank some coke. That felt much better than eating. In her head had been a theory that had evolved during the last few shifts but she wasn't sure. What if she wasn't in hospital, dying, and this weren't just dreams of a dying mind but what if all this was real? She was able to eat and drink and it felt real. Everything felt real. Very real. But then – what was the "real" reality? Or maybe she was in a loony bin – because of what was going on in her mind or it was something Buffy had experienced when a demon had injected her some kind of poison that made her hallucinating? She had to admit that she couldn't discern reality from fiction anymore just like the psychologist had said. She felt like her had was spinning. Carter looked at her.
"Everything alright? You look a little pale. Janet?" she called for Dr. Fraiser who came running from the opposite corner of the room. "Janet, can you take a look at her? She – she looks ill."
"I'm not ill. Just too many thoughts in my head I can't sort out," Kyla protested.
"Maybe you should sleep. Have you had something to eat?"
"No, she hadn't. Just a few bites."
"Not eating won't help you, Kyla. We can feed you by force if we have to. For a start an IV will do. And don't try to protest, you know I'm the one giving orders in here," Dr. Fraiser said with a very small smile playing around her lips.
"No needles, please. I hate needles."
"Lie down and relax. Sam, can you take the tray and the table away? We need some space."
Kyla closed her eyes when she saw Dr. Fraiser coming towards her with a needle in her hand. She felt the cold steel sliding under her skin. She stiffened but Fraiser did a good job. It hadn't hurt at all. She opened her eyes again. Fraiser smiled down on her and patted her shoulder.
"Don't worry, we'll take good care of you. Now you'll stay in bed and we'll do another test. Sam wanted to have a closer look at the implant in your arm and I want to ask you a few questions. Our machines can tell us a lot but some things are hidden deep within the human mind."
"At the same time?"
"Sure, you don't need your arm to answer questions, do you?"
She felt Carter touching her arm and was tempted to look at what she was doing but Dr. Fraiser sat down on the bed with a clipboard with many pages filled with questions.
"First things first: Full name, date and place of birth."
"Kyla Amanda Parker. Born November 11, 1986 in St. Paul, Minnesota."
"Do you know where we are?"
"Cheyenne Mountain Complex."
"What do you know about the Stargate?"
"Built by an ancient people, is able to create a stable wormhole where matter can be transported in two direction. Needs loads of energy, you need a DHD when you want to dial the coordinates to come home, there's a gate in the Antarctica, the Russians have one, it is built of a material named Na'quada, don't know is there more to know? Major Carter's the specialist. OUCH!"
She looked at her arm. Carter had been quite gentle so far but the last thing had hurt.
"What have you done?" Fraiser asked.
"Nothing. I wanted to check if there were some energy readings and it somehow backfired. Janet, if you're finished with your questions I'd like to see if this works – if you agree."
"You mean you would allow her to beam out of here? That is science fiction. I doubt it will work. But sure. I don't mind."
Samantha and Kyla looked at each other. Carter nodded and Kyla gently pressed the implant. Nothing happened.
"It doesn't work. It's the first time it has come with me to a universe where this kind of technology hasn't been invented yet. But I don't know why it's still here."
"Doesn't matter. It was just a test. But would you mind if I took a tissue sample from your wrist? This green band that has given me such a fright and disappeared seems like some kind of alien technology."
"Dr. Fraiser, why are you still eager to prove that I'm an alien?"
"I know you're not but the technology you own is. It will hurt a little. I need a piece of your skin – only a very small piece," she added after a look at Kyla's face, "just a scratch."
"Only if you're finished asking questions."
"I am," she grinned, "give me your hand."
The moment Dr. Fraiser touched her wrist with the little scalpel it seemed to explode in a whirl of colors that sent Fraiser flying away and threw Kyla back into unconsciousness.
Chapter 50 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.
Note: I don't own the book "The real witches handbook of spells and rituals" by Kate West, I'm just borrowing it. Reminds me of a great time in New Zealand….

An Imaginative View Of The World 50/?
by CHris

Kyla opened her eyes when someone was shaking her violently. She felt disoriented. Where was she and what had just happened? Why was her hand hurting like mad? Giles was looking down on her, his hands still on her shoulder.
"Good Lord, what's the matter with you? You've been screaming like someone wanted to kill you."
"Where's Willow? Get Willow, please. I'm OK."
"WILLOW!" Giles barked down the stairs and immediately she came running upstairs.
"What happened? Honey, you alright?"
"I'm fine. What did you do? What does the protection spell do? It hurts like someone tried to cut off my hand. Do something."
"What happened?" Giles asked.
"I was in another universe – Stargate – and Fraiser wanted to cut the protection band off. It kind of exploded, gave her a real fright and disappeared only to re-appear as a tattoo on my wrist. Fraiser wanted to examine my skin under the microscope and wanted to take a small skin sample. When she touched me it exploded like a firecracker. I remember her screaming and flying away then it started to hurt like mad and I fainted."
"Sounds like real fun. That means it really worked. The only problem is that I don't know what it does to protect you and I have no idea how to undo it. Normally I would let the band disappear with a magic trick but the band itself is gone so plan 1 is opted out. The problem is that there's no back-up plan. We have to find another way."
"No back-up plan? You're funny. You have to find a way!"
"Kyla, calm down," Giles interrupted, "We have enough books. And there's the internet. We will find something to get rid of it or make it stop working."
He didn't sound very convincing but neither Kyla nor Willow said anything. Nobody knew where to start searching. Kyla massaged her wrist to make the pain go away.
"We'll try a simple spell first. I hope it works somehow."
"Don't do anything stupid, OK? I can live with a tattoo on my wrist as long as it doesn't do anything to me. I have to convince people to stay away from it. I don't see any problem with that."
"Do you think you can convince Fraiser to leave you alone?"
"She's OK, Willow. Don't worry, I will find a way to explain it to her but I'm sure you'll find a way to make it disappear."
"Thanks for your trust in me, honey, but I'm not sure I can manage this time."
"You will. Now get to work and tell me what to do. I don't wanna sit around and watch you working. I need something to occupy my mind."
"You can help me," Giles interrupted, "We all go to the Magic Box. Willow and Buffy can look at the books and you can help me with some other things."
"What about Dawn?" Buffy asked.
"She can look after herself. She's a 14-year-old. I'm sure she'll manage a few hours on her own without burning down the house. Just lock your room, Willow."
The three girls smiled and made their way down the stairs and out the door. Kyla was glad that not every door turned out to be a gate to another universe. She hoped she would have some time in this universe to get something like order into the chaos in her mind. At least sort out what was happening and what had happened so far. She felt like was starting to forget the details that had happened in each universe and she was afraid that one of those details would one day save somebody's life.
She had never really been to the Magic Box. The bells at the entrance rang and she felt like she was in a completely new world. It smelled like frankincense and many exotic herbs. There were strange objects all over the place and even Anyanka looked different than she had on TV. Willow and Buffy climbed up the stairs to look at the books and Giles made her come to the training room with him.
"We need to talk. You remember the amulet? I've found out what it really means and what it does to you."
"What it does to me? What do you mean? I thought you said something about healing powers."
"I did indeed. In a very old book I have found something about an Egyptian God named Osiris who was said to have intense healing powers. This God also created a demon whom he called Soriso – which means smiling in Italian – or is a little like his name backwards. This demon was meant to harm people so he could claim to be the greatest God and heal them all."
"This sounds like Stargate to me and not demons and vampires."
"I know it sounds odd. But the book said that this amulet once belonged to Osiris before Soriso stole it from him to undo the harm he had caused."
"But why did he attack us? And why did he leave the amulet behind?"
"He was supposed to be dead forever but he isn't. But he isn't going to harm anyone again. Without the amulet he is powerless. He can only cause pain and the book said he doesn't want to cause pain anymore that's why he stole the amulet."
"What does that mean for me?"
"If the ancient legend is true you have the healing powers once you wear the amulet. You've been hurt by Soriso and he left the amulet as an apology. We have to try. Something really harmless."
"Exactly what we've been trying to do before you stopped us."
She looked at the amulet Giles was handing her. A small golden object that looked more like the symbol she had seen on a book than anything else. But she couldn't remember which book.
"I haven't been sure back then, Kyla. I'm not sure now but I know more than before. We have to try. Something like a little cut on the arm that heals easily of it should go wrong."
Kyla nodded and turned on the heal to leave the room. She felt uneasy in Giles' presence. Even though it hat felt like a dream when she had fallen asleep in his arms in the broad daylight it was different. Things looked more real now even though they couldn't be too real, could they? She walked back into the main room where Anya smiled at her. Kyla smiled back and fled up the steep stairs to where Willow and Buffy were sitting with their books.
"I don't know why he made me come to the other room with him but I think he found out about the amulet. And I've got another idea. He said the amulet came from a demon named Soriso that was created by an Egyptian God named Osiris."
"I know the story, yes. What was your idea?"
"If the amulet gives me healing powers – can it be that it outnumbers your spell?"
"You mean that – if it really works – we can cut off your hand with the protection band and it will re-grow? Wow, that sounds weird!"
"Well, I haven't thought that far but yes, that might work. Giles wants to test his theory with a small knife before we jump to conclusions. By the way, what have you found out? I want another option before you want to cut off my hand which I might need somewhere else."
Willow grinned and showed her a book. It was written in letters that seemed familiar but she wasn't able to read it. But Willow was. It took her a while to realize that those were Goa'uld signs. It seemed wrong. It seemed so wrong to see the book in Willow's hands – and even more wrong to see a book written in those letters. She had never seen a single book on TV that had been written by the Goa'uld. They had stone walls that held those signs but not books.
"Where did you get this book?"
"You mean it looks a lot like the signs from Stargate, right?"
"How do you know?"
"Girl, do you think I have never seen an episode? I don't know how many times you made me watch it with you. But the signs look different and they mean different things. This is an old Gaelic writing. It says something about a protection spell and how it went wrong. A young woman was sent to a nearby village to get something to eat. It was deep winter and there were many wolves and they believed trolls inhabited the forest. To ensure her safety the Magician or whatever you want to call her performed this spell. In the forest she was attacked by wolves but the protection spell started to sparkle and sent the wolves away. Later on her way she encountered a man who had fled from prison. He wanted to rob her and during her fight he pulled the band apart. It kind of exploded and killed him. The band itself was gone but a small line remained on her wrist. She returned safely to her village and was never harmed again. The Magician – the woman who wrote this book – has her own theory on what happened. She states that she had a constant connection with the girl and her ghost had been walking with her. Sounds weird. No, I think she wasn't ready to admit that she was wrong."
"How does this help us?" Buffy asked who was sitting on the floor next to them with a book on her knees.
"It doesn't help us but now I know that I'm not the first witch who did something like this and it went wrong. Buffy, the book you have, that's it!"
"What? That's a book about the modern witch," she said after looking at the title.
"Doesn't matter. Those spells are simple without any side-effects. I don't know why Giles is keeping a book like this up here."
"Because the book isn't as simple as it looks," Giles said who had been climbing up the stairs without anyone noticing. He sat down and took the book from Buffy's hands. "The spells might look simple and they might be as simple as they look but the initiation rites aren't. I don't want a teenage Wicca explore her strength and find out about those rites."
"Why not?"
"Even the rite of self-initiation is described to its very detail. A young woman wants to be a witch and performs the rites. After the witches' rights she would be a witch and has to be accepted even though she might have neither talent nor any knowledge about really being a witch. No way!"
"And why did you keep the book?"
"Why? Aren't you glad you can use it now?"
"Sorry. I am glad you kept it. At first I want to try an invisibility spell. Maybe that works as well?"
"Invisibility? What's the use of that? The band would still be there."
"It would, Kyla, yes, but you wouldn't be reminded of it all the time. No perfect plan but it's a start."
"I don't mind if you do magic in here but please go to the back room. I don't want everybody watching you," Giles interrupted when Willow started reading out loud from the book. The girls nodded and one after one climbed down the ladder.
"Wait! I know which book it was!"
They were standing around the table in the middle of the room and stared at Kyla. Buffy looked at the book in her hands but Kyla shook her head.
"No, I mean the book with the symbol. The amulet Giles gave me reminded me of a symbol I have seen on a book. That's the Never-ending Story. A German book. There have been films made of it. With two little boys and a flying white dragon. The symbol gives its bearer the power to speak for the queen of the fairy tale world or something like this. But it was this symbol. Two snakes holding each other's tails. But what does it have to do with us?"
"Nothing, Kyla," Giles said from the door, "The book has been written not so long ago and the author needed some kind of model to form this amulet. And maybe he has read Egyptian mythology."
"Possibly. Now lets try the amulet and make the protection band invisible. Come on, let's go to the other room if Giles doesn't want us in here."
Willow took Kyla by the arm and pulled her towards the backroom. The others followed. Buffy was still holding the book. She closed the door behind her and they were alone. Willow ordered Kyla to sit down and took Buffy by the arm.
"If it goes wrong you have to hold her," she whispered to Buffy, "She might have more strength than we anticipate. And she has the amulet. Be careful."
Willow sat down in front of Kyla and took her hand. She looked at Buffy who was crouching down behind Kyla and nodded. Kyla and Willow simply stared at each other. Willow just mumbled the words except for the last words.
"Blessed be," she spoke out loud and the world seemed to explode. The room filled with smoke and Willow was thrown backwards. Buffy and Kyla screamed and Giles came running into the room. He picked up the unconscious form of Willow and carried her out of the room. When he came back he pulled the windows open and helped Kyla up. She was swearing and held her wrist. Buffy stood up and massaged her head.
"You alright?"
"Yeah, just hit my head on the wall. How are you?"
"It hurts. How's Willow?"
"Unconscious. She's in the other room."

Kyla sat down next to Willow and gently slapped her face. Her wrist hurt but she tried to ignore it. There had been flames coming from the band and had scorched her skin. What had gone wrong? Willow opened her eyes and smiled weakly.
"Hey there," Kyla said smiling and helped her to sit up.
"Did it work?"
"No," Kyla said and looked at her wrist, "But the amulet does," she added with a surprised look on her face.
"What do you mean?" Giles and Willow asked simultaneously.
"When Willow performed the spell there were flames coming from the band and my skin was burnt. Now there's nothing left. She showed them her wrist. Both the burns and the band were gone.
"So, Willow, tell me. Did the invisibility spell work or did the amulet do this?"
"Good question. We can't be sure. You know you can try the thing with the knife."
"No," Giles protested, "Leave the knife out of your plans. Kyla, I know you won't like it but we'll do some training. Just you and Buffy. And no holding back today. If the amulet works you should have the same power as Buffy."
"And if it doesn't work?"
"We'll see soon enough before something bad happens. Willow, are you feeling alright?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just need something to drink and a morale booster for my self-conscience. Normally my spells don't go wrong."
"Nothing went wrong, Will, it just had a different outcome than we expected."
"Do you mean it or do you just say it to cheer me up?"
"I mean it, honey. You get some rest and I go and have a fight with Buffy. I can think of better things but if Giles thinks that this is the way to find it out, well, he's the Watcher."
Willow kissed her on the cheek and Kyla followed Giles and Buffy back to the training room. Buffy was changing her shoes and mentioned her to do the same. Kyla wasn't astonished to find her favorite blue training shoes standing in a corner.
The fight didn't take long. Before Kyla had even had the chance to come close to Buffy she was hit by her foot against her chest. All air was pressed from her lungs and she found herself sitting on the floor gasping for air. Quickly Giles was next to her and held her by the shoulders but she couldn't breathe. Stars were dancing in front of her eyes and then there was blackness.
Chapter 51 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1.

An Imaginative View Of The World 51/?
by CHris

"Kyla, wake up, we're almost there. Are you alright? Can you see? How are your legs? Do you think you can walk?"
"Hey, I can only answer one question at a time. And to answer all your questions with one word: yes, I can. Or at least I think I can. Where are we? Already in Findlay?"
Jarod nodded. They drove through a town that never seemed to stop. Houses after houses passed by their window. It seemed that Findlay never ended. Finally Jarod slowed down and pulled the car onto a parking lot next to a small café.
"We're meeting with Samantha Waters. She might know a few things we haven't seen yet. While the two of you've been sleeping I called in Chicago. Rachel's OK. She'll survive. I haven't had the chance to talk to her but they assured me that she'll be able to talk to me later the day."
Jarod and Kira got out of the car. After all that had been happening in this universe Kyla wasn't sure what to do. She opened the door and looked at Jarod who was standing next to her. She could feel her legs and except for a little blur her vision was back to normal. Jarod took her by the upper arm and gently pulled her from the car. She stood next to him on shaky legs. Kira came to stand beside her and put her arm around Kyla's waist. Jarod did the same and they kind of escorted her towards the café. They were a funny trio: Jarod with a moustache who looked more like a truck driver than anything, Kira, with the pillow under her sweater waddled beside a young woman on shaky legs. They would certainly draw attention.
They entered the café and Jarod asked for a table at the window. Jarod liked to know when people started searching for him. A few tables were occupied but there was no sign of Samantha Waters yet. A strange looking group of men were sitting in the opposite corner and they seemed to have an argument about something. They were shouting at each other not caring that all the other guests could hear them. Jarod, Kira and Kyla looked at each other and shook their heads. They sat down and Kyla tried to hear what the argument was about. The men looked strange but somehow familiar. They had very dark skin and bald heads. One of them turned his head a little and she saw something on his forehead. Some kind of tattoo. Then she heard what they were saying.
"Kal shaka mel!" one of them shouted and got up from the table. He stormed out the door without a backward glance.
"What was that about?" Jarod asked, "I know many languages but I haven't heard that one before."
"I have," Kyla said and felt awkward. She knew that language but she knew that it couldn't be real. And she recognized the tattoo on the men's forehead. They were Jaffa. They were talking the language of the Goa'uld.
"What did he say?" Kira asked.
"Go to hell."
"WHAT?"
"That's what he said. Go to hell."
"Oh."
The remaining Jaffa had realized that people were looking at them and had settled down again and were talking quietly now. The front door opened and Samantha Waters entered. She saw Jarod and smiled. She walked over to their table and smiled at them.
"Nice to see you again, Jarod, " she said and took a seat. She eyes Kyla with a suspicious glance who was watching the Jaffa at the other table.
"Ya'ol'wa?" one of them asked when he saw that Kyla was watching them. She just shook her head and looked away.
"What did he say?"
"What's the matter. Guess it's rude to stare at strange people," she grinned apologetically. "I hope they aren't offended."
"I hope they don't know that you can understand what they are saying."
Kyla was glad that he didn't ask what language they were speaking because it would be quite hard to explain that they were talking in a language that had been invented by humans. A language that didn't really exist.
"Jarod told me a lot about what has happened and I can see that something is wrong but I don't know yet what exactly it is. You will have to give me a little more time," Samantha said to Kyla.
"Have you seen anything that might be of importance to me?"
"I'm not sure. There was something involving a car crash but the other things are very unclear. I had hoped that Jarod could help me in a few ways."
"I'll do my best," he promised. Kyla was distracted again by the Jaffa in the other corner of the room. Their arguments were getting louder again.
"Who are they?" Samantha asked.
"No idea," Jarod answered, "But Kyla understands their language."
"Ya'isid ma'que! Ki'banja'sweil!" the largest one of the Jaffa said and jumped up. They stormed out of the room and disappeared behind the next houses.
"We have to go and hide, is what he said before they left. I don't know what their argument was about, I didn't hear it. But I'm not feeling too comfortable around here anymore. Can't we go somewhere else?"
"No, we can't," Jarod said, "I have ordered pancakes and I don't want to leave that behind. And I don't see that were in any danger. They don't have anything to do with us."
"Maybe they don't but if they go into hiding something is wrong. Those people don't go hiding easily. They're a proud people and –"
"What do you know about them?"
"Not enough. I wish I knew more. I'm glad I understood what they were saying. Please Jarod, let's get away from here."
"Jarod, I think we should trust her. You saved her from a psychiatrist. That shouldn't have been in vain. You trust your own instincts why not trust hers this time?"
Jarod looked at Kira for a while and slowly nodded. The same moment a waitress came with his pancakes. Jarod longingly looked at them.
"Eat them but hurry. A few minutes can't hurt. I need to go to the toilet anyway. Kira, can you help me?"
Kira nodded and got up. Together they walked to the toilet. Kyla still felt a little shaky. And she knew that Jarod and Samantha would need a few minutes on their own.

There was a dull sound and then there was silence. Kyla stumbled out of the toilet and found Kira lying on the floor. There was nobody else there. She gently slapped Kira's face but nothing happened. She tried some water but still nothing happened. Still on shaky legs she ran into the café and called for Jarod. He looked really concerned when he came into the ladies toilet. Kira was still lying on the floor but Kyla had her head cradled in her arms.
"What's the matter with her?" she whispered when Jarod had finished his examination.
"I don't know," he whispered back, "But we have to get away from here. We have to get her to a real doctor."
"But you are a real doctor!" Kyla protested weakly.
"I can pretend to be one but I don't have the equipment. She needs medication. I'll take her to hospital and you go with Samantha. We'll meet again at the Motel."
"Jarod, I'm not very happy with that idea!"
"Neither am I but I think Kira's life is worth more than my freedom. If they get me they have only me as long as I'm alone with Kira. They don't need to get you."
"They aren't searching for me, are they?"
Jarod shook his head and gently lifted Kira up. The moment he wanted to leave the room she opened her eyes. Jarod smiled and sat her down. She had a hunted look in her eyes.
"Where is he?"
"Who?"
"I didn't just faint. I was knocked out!"
"Hurry! We have to go. I have no idea why he attacked Kira but I don't like it. First Rachel and now Kira. I hope they aren't related in any way."
"They are but in other ways than were planned," are cold voice said from behind them and Miss Parker stepped out from the shadow. She pointed a gun at them.
"I don't want to hurt you, the Centre wants you alive. We're leaving through the back door. A car is waiting for you."
"And where are the sweepers? I didn't know you're working alone."
Miss Parker smiled an evil little smile and waved her gun.
"Get going and don't try to run. You'd be dead before you reach the door."
Jarod supported Kira and they walked out of the toilet. Kyla's head were full of horrible pictures of torture and experiments. Parker ushered them into a black Lincoln.
"That's the car we've seen along the highway," Kira whispered.
"That's right," Parker smiled, "Now buckle up and enjoy the ride."
"No handcuffs? No drugs? Just a kind word and we're off towards the Centre? That's very unlike the Miss Parker I know," Jarod said and leaned back.
"But very much like the Miss Parker you used to know when you were little," a man's voice said from the front seat.
"Sydney! What's going on?"
"No time to tell you the whole story. This time you have to trust her. She doesn't want to hurt you and the other's. Samantha Waters will be brought to the same place, you don't have to worry about her but the place is hidden so you are not allowed to see where we're going. Sorry."
The car doors locked and a window came up behind the driver's seat. Parker looked at them and watched the rear of the car filling with gas. Kira was the first to loose consciousness. Jarod tried to fight against it. He tried to open the doors or break the windows. He couldn't trust her, she knew that. Kyla watched Jarod fight but he lost. The last thing she saw was Parker's astonished face when Jarod collapsed and she was still fighting. But eventually she lost the fight, too.
Chapter 52 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An Imaginative View Of The World 52/?

"What happened? Janet, are you OK? How's the girl? JANET?"
Voices over voices. Chaos. Darkness. Pain. Stars dancing in front of her eyes. A blazing alarm. Kyla slowly opened her eyes. She was lying on the floor. Janet Fraiser way lying next to her. Her eyes were closed. She rolled to her side to feel Fraiser's pulse. It was there. Normal. Someone's hand on her shoulder, pulling her up.
"Look at me. Who am I?"
"Samantha Carter. What happened?"
"That's what I wanted to know from you. Help me."
Together they lifted Dr. Fraiser onto a bed. A small cut on her forehead was bleeding. She was still clutching the scalpel in her hand. Kyla forced the hand open and threw the scalpel onto a table. She felt helpless. It had to be the other way round. The IV was still in her arm. She had to be the one lying there with Doc Fraiser towering over her. Not Janet Fraiser lying on the bed. Kyla took a piece of cloth from a nearby table and pressed it gently on the doctor's forehead. The alarms stopped and the lights partially came up again. Kyla was sitting next to Janet Fraiser who was still unconscious.
"Why does something like that happen wherever I go? I'm causing chaos wherever I go. What did I do to her?"
"I don't really know. She wanted to take a tissue sample from your wrist. Suddenly there was a bright light, she screamed and was thrown away from you even though you didn't do anything. You screamed as well and fell off your bed. Then alarms started blaring. That's all I know. Can you tell me more?"
"No, I don't know anything else. Did you believe the story I told?"
"That you're traveling through different universes? Well, kind of, yes."
"Look at my wrist. Do you see the green line?"
"What have you done? It's gone!"
"It's still there but invisible. I think it still protects me and I think that this kind of protection was what knocked Dr. Fraiser out. Why me? Why is it always me who's doing everything wrong?"
"You haven't done anything wrong, Kyla. Look at yourself. You're a nice young lady and you're trying to help. By the way, where is everyone?"
Kyla looked around. Since the incident nobody had been here. Not even the medical staff was around. The infirmary was empty except for the three women. It wasn't unusual for the infirmary to be without patients but nobody at all? Carter walked to the entrance and picked up the phone on the wall.
"Get someone from the medical staff to help Dr. Fraiser!" Kyla said.
Carter waited a few seconds and then talked to someone in a low voice. Kyla didn't strain to hear anything she was far too preoccupied with her dark thoughts. All this was her fault. She had hurt Dr. Fraiser. She hoped that in a few more hours everything would be back to normal. And she hoped that one day she would be back in her own reality. Fraiser moaned and slowly opened her eyes. She looked at Kyla. Her dark brown eyes were unfocused but she tried to sit up.
"Don't move. You're head is hurt. We're waiting for someone to help you."
"I'm fine. Let me go."
Kyla shook her head and held her down.
"Major Carter, I need your help!"
Carter hung up the receiver and came to stand beside Janet's bed.
"Janet, please stay where you are. We still don't know what happened but there's a cut on your head that's still bleeding." She cast a worried look at the piece of cloth in Kyla's hand that was quite red. "As soon as someone has had a look at that you can do whatever you want."
"I'm the medical officer here, I'm the one giving orders."
"Wrong, Janet. You're hurt and I'm ordering you to stay still. And don't try to outrank me, we're equals."
Fraiser sighed and leaned back again. Kyla pressed the cloth onto the cut again. Fraiser wanted to protest but when she saw that Kyla's fingers were sprinkled with blood she gave up and relaxed.
"How are YOU, Kyla?"
"I don't know. I feel in the wrong place. I'm supposed to be lying in bed with you towering over me. I'm the one who should have been hurt."
"Don't worry. We'll manage. Can you hand me the little mirror from over there so I can have a look at myself? I have no idea what happened but there's nobody else in here. Sam, where is everybody?"
"Everything seems to be OK. Hammond said that there was a system overload in the infirmary and a few doors are jammed. That's why we're alone in here. O'Neill, Daniel and Teal'c are still on the other planet, the Stargate's offline at the moment. Hammond says that the Stargate center should be up and running again in no more than two hours. And until they find a way to open the door we're stuck."
"Isn't there supposed to be a backup system that takes over as soon as the external power input breaks down?" Janet asked.
"There is. But to say it the easy way: Some fuses have burnt out and they haven't found where exactly those fuses are. And before they haven't found them and replaced them they can't re-boot the whole system. Can you manage until then?"
Janet nodded and took the mirror Kyla handed her. She looked at the cut on her forehead. The bleeding had slowed down.
"That's just a scratch. What caused it?"
"Nice question. I don't know."
Janet stared at the mirror in her hands.
"I know what caused that. God, I'm lucky to be alive. Where's the scalpel I was holding? Did I manage to get a skin sample?"
"The scalpel was still in your hands. It's on the table over there. And no, you didn't manage to get a skin sample."
"I must've cut myself with the scalpel when you're protection band activated. Can I have a look at it?"
"It's gone. You need something to plaster on the wound."
"What do you mean, it's gone? Show me your arm." Fraiser sat up and the cut on her forehead began bleeding again. "And give me something to cover that cut and some Aspirin."
She gently touched Kyla's wrist while her eyes searched for any sign of the green line. She shot an asking glance at Kyla and Carter. Kyla tried to explain what had happened but it didn't sound very convincing. She told the story Willow had told her, how they had tried the Invisibility Spell and how the band had dissolved in flames. She mentioned the amulet and then a few other things came to her mind.
"When Dr. Jackson is back I'd like to talk to him. I have a theory and I'd like to have his opinion on it."
"You sound like you belong to the team. But maybe I can help you as well," Carter said.
"It's about the amulet. Giles said that the amulet came from an Egyptian God named Osiris who was said to have intense healing powers. This God also created a demon whom he called Soriso – which means smiling in Italian – or is a little like his name backwards. This demon was meant to harm people so he could claim to be the greatest God and heal them all. I know it sounds odd but Giles said that his book said that this amulet once belonged to Osiris before Soriso stole it from him to undo the harm he had caused."
"Doesn't sound like the system lord we know. And not very much like Egyptian mythology. But why not. Maybe Daniel has heard about this. But what's your theory?"
"It's no real theory – just a thought. The amulet sounds a lot like this thing the Goa'uld use to heal wounds even though it looks completely different."
"How does it look?"
"Two snakes biting each other's tail."
"Are they forming the sign of eternity?" Carter asked and Kyla nodded. "That sounds somehow familiar but I can't tell you where I've seen that before. We need to ask Daniel when he comes back."
Janet Fraiser was still holding Kyla's hand and tried to find sign of the green line. Carter came to stand beside her and put something onto the cut on Fraiser's forehead and gave her a bottle with some red and yellow pills from which she took one. Without another word she got up and gently pushed Kyla onto the bed.
"Now you're the patient again and I'm the one giving orders," she said.
"But I'm not ill," Kyla protested.
"Doesn't matter. You're the one with the IV. Now sit down and be a good girl. We have enough time to talk until someone finds a way to open the doors."
Carter sat down on the foot end of the bed and folded her legs in a complicated looking way.
"What? I'm just making myself comfortable," she grinned and Kyla grinned back. She hugged her legs and watched Fraiser dragging a chair towards the bed. She sat down and smiled.
"I think it's time you tell your story again, Kyla, but a little more details this time please."
"Again? Do I really have to? Can't you just ask a few questions? That's a lot easier. You're the specialist concerning wormhole travels here. Don't you have any questions or theories?"
"Theories? Jack's the Star Trek specialist. I'm more the one for the facts. And one fact is that you came through the wormhole with us when we first met. That means that either something went wrong or that it's possible that two wormholes ended in one Stargate what is impossible. No, I don't have any theories."
The lights went off. There were odd noises. Fraiser, Carter and Kyla remained where they were without daring to say something. The light came back on a few minutes later and was much brighter than before. Without having noticed all three of them had held their breath. The phone on the wall rang. Carter jumped up and took the call.
When she came back she informed them that the fuses had been found and all damage would be repaired in less than half an hour.
"The lights will go down again when they reboot the system and then everything will be back to normal. And the Stargate will be functional again. I hope Daniel and the others will be back soon so we can ask them about your theory. Until then we should get organized."
"Organized? What do you mean?"
"You're claiming you're not ill so I guess you wanna get rid of the IV, right?" Carter asked and Kyla nodded. "The wound on Janet's forehead has started bleeding again, you should lie down, Janet! And I'm hungry. Where have you put the tray with the food that Kyla didn't want to eat?"
"You put it away, don't ask me where it is. I can live with getting rid of Kyla's IV but not with lying down, Sam, I'm fine."
"You don't look that way," Kyla interrupted, "Please, at least sit down and stop walking around my bed like a caged animal."
"Sorry," Fraiser mumbled and sat down on a chair. She sighed heavily and closed her eyes. When she opened them again she smiled apologetically and turned towards Kyla. "Give me your arm."
"Why?"
"Do you want to get rid of the IV or not?"
Kyla nodded and her the arm with the needle towards Dr. Fraiser. She gently pushed a piece of cotton onto the needle and gently pulled it out. When she ran her finger over the place where the protection band had been she felt a tingling sensation in her fingertips. She shot an asking glance at Kyla who just shrugged. Fraiser wanted to examine it further but when she touched the skin again it sent out sparks. Fraiser yelped and Kyla drew back her arm and cradled it protectively against her body. It didn't hurt – at least not her. Fraiser's face had turned ashen. Kyla and Sam jumped up at the same time to help Fraiser who slowly slid down from the chair. Sam caught Janet before she hit the ground.
"This can't be true. The next time she wants to examine you – make her STOP before she touched the band, OK?"
Kyla just nodded and watched Carter lifting Fraiser like she was a small child. She laid her onto the bed again and then looked at Kyla who was standing uncomfortably on the other side of the bed.
"Come over here and sit down. I want to take a look at your arm as well. And I won't touch it," she added when she saw the scared look on Kyla's face. Kyla sat down as she was told and held her arm towards Carter. Carter took her hand and turned it in different directions.
"What do you think will happen when we cover your wrist with bandages?"
"I don't know but I will do it myself, OK?"
Samantha Carter nodded and handed her a few bandages from a table which Kyla wrapped around her wrist. Nothing seemed to happen. Carter smiled at her.
"Now let's have something to eat, I'm starving."
Carter got the tray with the food always casting sideway glances at the still unconscious Dr. Fraiser. Kyla grabbed the can with the diet coke and watched Carter eating the curry chicken and the striped dessert. She didn't feel like eating at all. She looked at Fraiser.
"Do you think she will be alright?" Kyla asked and gently pushed a strand of hair off Fraiser's face. Carter nodded, "She will be, I'm sure."
"I feel responsible for everything. I shouldn't have let her touch it again. And it's getting worse each time it happens. She's been out for nearly 10 Minutes now. What if she doesn't wake up again?"
"She will wake up again, Kyla, don't worry about that. She's a tough little woman and she has survived worse things, I'm sure."
Carter took her by the wrist and wanted to pull her from the bed. The protection spell activated again but this time it didn't do anything to Carter but sent Kyla back into unconsciousness. Carter sighed and lifted her up and laid her down onto the bed next to Janet Fraiser. Then she sat down on the chair between them and finished her curry chicken.
Chapter 53 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1
Many thanks to Kylie Leadbitter. I hope you remember that you once volunteered to become part of this story. Sorry it took so long.

An Imaginative View Of The World 53/?

Someone was gently stroking her face. She slowly opened her eyes. What universe was this? She was in hospital. That left quite a few choices. She slowly turned her head and looked at a young man who was sitting next to her bed and who had been stroking her face.
"Hey Kyla," he whispered and smiled a sad smile. She heard the door open and saw Dr. Fraiser entering the room.
"I see your girlfriend's conscious again. She's quite a stubborn young lady. Did you do anything to wake her?"
"Me? No. Simply sitting here and holding her hand."
"You know, Michael, that she should be sleeping."
Kyla wanted to protest. Wanted to tell them that she was alright. Wanted to ask what was going on and where the hell she was. But she couldn't move. Was this reality? Michael by her side, holding her hand. But why was Fraiser here and why had she called her Michael's girlfriend? She didn't remember anything like that. Had she forgotten some things? Or was this a different kind of reality? An alternate reality maybe where things were going different than in the real world? But that would mean there was another new universe.
She wanted to protest when Fraiser pushed a few buttons on the computer next to her bed. She heard a strange hissing sound and felt her eyelids getting heavier. She tried to look at Michael again but he was only a blur of colors. If this was reality she wanted to be back to where she really belonged. If this was just another one of her dream worlds this was where she wanted to end – and not go back to the real world anymore.

–—

Hospital. She was still here? The windows were open and fresh air streamed inside. Or had she changed to another universe? She had no idea. She fingered for the implant in her arm. Gone. She looked at her wrist. The protection band was gone. The door opened. A girl about her age entered.
"Hi, are you Kyla? I'm Kylie. Doc Fraiser told me to pay you a visit."
Without waiting for an answer Kylie sat down on the chair next to Kyla's bed. She smiled and looked intently at Kyla.
"Doc Fraiser said you're having a problem with - what did she say - discerning reality from fiction. Sounds odd, doesn't it?"
"Does she have to tell everybody? Why did I tell her about it the first place?"
"Don't worry, Kyla, she's saying the same thing about me."
"About you? Why?"
And then Kylie told her her story and it sounded so much like her own. She had found out that she had to die in universes as well but she didn't want to. Kylie like the shuffling and wasn't concerned that she might never go back to reality.
"What for? I can do everything I like to do in the real world: reading, going to the movies, watching TV, working with my computer, playing games, going to the internet, writing and reading emails, so where's the problem? I'm happy here, Kyla, I don't want to go back, do you?"
"I don't know. Some universes are wonderful and I wish I could stay there but others aren't that great. And wherever I go I cause chaos and people get hurt. That can't be the order of things. Something is wrong but I don't know what it is. Do you understand what I mean?"
"Yes, I understand that. Wherever I go people start loving each other. I mean, Jarod and Parker love each other, that's obvious, but Bridgette and Lyle? And Daddy Parker starts loving Zoë? Where's the sense in that?"
Kylie and Kyla grinned. That sounded too funny. The door opened and Doc Fraiser entered the room.
"Ah, I see the two of you are getting along quite well. How are you two? Oh, and when we're finished talking, Michelle's here and wants to see you."
Kyla nodded and Kylie just shot her a quizzical look. Tell you later, Kyla mouthed.
"Your heartbeat seems quite regular now. If you want to you can leave tonight but you have to come back for an examination tomorrow. But you can as well stay overnight if you want to talk to Kylie for a while. It already is 4 p.m."
"I don't like hospitals but if I can talk to Kylie for a while longer I will stay if Kylie doesn't mind."
"I don't mind at all. It's great to have someone to talk to and who doesn't think I'm crazy," Kylie smiled. "And someone who understands what I'm talking about!" she grinned and winked.
"I have no idea what you girls are talking about but I'm sure you're enjoying yourselves. Dinner will be served at half past five if you're staying."
"Guess I will be."
"OK then. Kylie, would you mind to leave for a few minutes? Kyla's aunt is here to talk to her."
"Don't leave, it's alright if she's staying. I don't have any secrets."
"If you insist." She shrugged and walked out of the room.
"Don't be scared if you see my so called aunt, it's some kind of Miss Parker."
Shortly after the door opened again and Michelle Parker entered the room. She shot the girls a smile and sat down on the bed since Kylie occupied the chair.
"Janet said you're fine. That's great to hear. And you've chosen to stay overnight. Would you mind if I left you here alone?"
"Oh come on, I'm no baby anymore. I can look after myself. This is Kylie. She's a friend of mine."
"Hi Kylie, I'm Michelle Parker, I'm Kyla's aunt. How are you?"
"F-f-fine, thanks."
"Haven't I seen you before? Are you attending the same school as Kyla?"
Kylie only nodded, too dumbfounded to speak. Kyla only hoped that Dr. Fraiser hadn't told Michelle about Kylie's "condition". But if she was contented to know that Kylie was going to school with her that was fine.
"OK, sweetheart, I'll see you tomorrow then. Enjoy your evening and don't stay up too long. I don't think you're perfectly healthy at the moment and you definitely need loads of sleep!" Michelle said and kissed Kyla on the forehead. She shook Kylie's hand before she left the room. Kylie just stared after her.
"Do you know what I mean? There are some universes where things are definitely wrong. This is one of them."
"My goodness, what did you do to her?"
""Me? Nothing. She was that way ever since I came to that universe. But Krystal and KB thought the same."
"You've seen them? Here?"
"Yeah, they've been at our home. But can you help me with something?" she asked and Kylie nodded. "Something's missing in my puzzle."
"What puzzle?"
"I'm trying to make sense of all this. There are shifts to what I think is my reality. But there are people from a TV series in it. It's like this universe. Parker and Dr. Fraiser. Fraiser belongs to the Stargate universe."
"Stargate? I've never watched it but she seemed familiar, yes. Do you know another movie she has played in?"
"Masterminds with Patrick Stewart? She was the teacher who was held hostage with the kids."
"Yeah, I know that one. But what is she doing here?"
"Good question. She has turned up in a few other universes as well. And then there's the thing with dying. Each time I die in a universe it ends. Does the whole universe end or does it keep existing? And why are there so many people from the pretendfic mailing list? I've met Krystal, KB, Myra and you. And I know that Terry Farrell, the actress from Star Trek, is in the shifting thing as well. If it's true that all this happens while you're in a coma, how can it be that so many people I know happen to be in that state at the moment?"
"Wait a sec. Coma? How do you know that?"
"I know that Terry Farrell has had a car crash and is in a coma and in the universe which I think is the real world I was told that I was in a coma as well."
"I didn't know that. I thought that this was just a dream. A wonderful dream that kept recurring every night."
"You've been to the real world during the day?"
"Sometimes, I think, yes. Now that you ask directly, I think so. How can I be sure if it's the real world?"
"The same questions I've been asking myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's trying to make sense of the things going on. In the Star Trek universes I've encountered some kind of spatial anomaly. And while I'm in those universes it makes sense. But here it seems like science fiction. That can't be it, can it?"
"Well, depends on your point of view. Theoretically it's possible. But you know theory and the real world. There are certain – differences."
Kyla nodded. She knew that sentence only too well. How often had someone told her to stop dreaming about Star Trek and that all the technology was just science fiction. But everything was theoretically possible. But only theoretically. They kept on talking and talking without noticing how fast the time went by.
"Time for dinner, girls," said a nurse from the door and smiled at them. "Kylie, Doctor Fraiser said that you could change rooms if you wanted and stay here with Kyla."
"That's cool, yeah, I'd like that. Thank you."
"Thank her yourself. She'll be paying you a visit after dinner. Enjoy your meal."
Without interrupting their talking they finished their meal: curry chicken with rice. When she was finished Kyla looked at Kylie.
"This is like a déja vue. When I've been to the Stargate universe I've had the same meal. Even the dishes were the same. There were another few things that I don't understand. In this universe I've held a photo album in my hands with a Starfleet insignia on the front. I doubt that Michelle Parker likes Star Trek. And sometimes people start talking like they had watched too much Star Trek and in the universe I've been to I've encountered someone from a Star Trek series but not the character herself but the actress. She wasn't the actress but someone else. God, I'm babbling, sorry. Do you know what I mean?"
"Yeah, kind of. You mean that it's like an actor who's playing a different role. Would be the same if Fraiser's name wouldn't be Fraiser but – whatever – Miller. She would still be the same person only with a different name. I know that phenomenon. You should know it best. Just look at Parker in this universe. Her name is still Parker but she has nothing to do with the Centre and we're not even near Blue Cove, not even near Delaware."
"By the way, what are you doing here?"
Kylie grinned. "I don't know if you'd understand."
"Try me."
"I tried to get away from this universe by drowning myself in a lake."
Kyla grinned too. "I understand you perfectly. That was about the same that happened to me. Well, I didn't try to drown but I nearly did. There's a little pixie that comes with me to different universes. It can also help me cross over to other universes. I named her Tinkerbell because she looks like the fairy from Peter Pan."
"Is she real? Can she do magic?"
"Yeah, I think so. She has helped me quite a few times and I wonder where she is for I haven't seen her for quite some time. When I meet her the next time I try to convince her to come with me so she can meet you."
They were disrupted in their talk by Doctor Fraiser who entered the room.
"Hey girls, how do you feel? Good news for both of you: after the examinations tomorrow you're allowed to go home. I can't find anything to keep you here longer. Even though both of you seem to have some kind of problem."
"These problems are mental, aren’t they?" Kylie asked and smiled.
"That depends on what you call a problem. I'd say both of you are dreamers. Dreaming can't be described as a mental problem. No, that's fine. Oh, Kylie, your brother is here," Fraiser said after looking at the door. Someone had stuck his head through the opening.
"May I come in?" he asked and the three nodded. The opened fully and Jarod stepped inside.
"Hey little sister, how are you?"
"Fine, I'm allowed to go home tomorrow."
"Cool. Hi, I'm Michael Leadbitter," he introduced himself and stretched out his hand to shake Kyla's who had to suppress a smile. Exactly what they had been talking about. Same face, different name, different person.
"Just wanted to see if you're alright. I was on my way home from work and thought I'd stop by. But since you're in good company I might as well leave. Mom's waiting at home. She needs me in the garden and my daughter has something to show me as well. See you tomorrow then."
He kissed her on the cheek and off he went. Kyla smiled.
"Exactly what we've been talking about," she grinned and Kylie nodded.
"Now, girls, I need to tell you a few things before I let you go tomorrow. I don't know if I can believe what you told me but since both of you told me the same story I'm tempted to believe it even though it sounds completely odd. Do you have anything to prove it?"
Kylie shook her head. Kyla looked at her arm. Both the tattoo and the implant were gone. She had nothing to prove it so she shook her head as well. Then she heard a sound like something soft had fallen to the ground. She looked around the room and there was Tinkerbell.
"Can you see her?" she asked and Kylie's and Dr. Fraiser's head turned.
"See what?" Fraiser asked.
"Tinkerbell, please, let them see you. I need to prove that Kylie and I are not lying."
Tinkerbell grinned and appeared. Fraiser gasped and so did Kylie. Tinkerbell flew over to Kyla and sat down on her shoulder.
"Are you getting smaller? You looked bigger when I saw you the last time."
"Yup. It's great, isn't it? So, don't you want to introduce me?"
"Sorry, this is Kylie and this is Doctor Fraiser. Guys, this is Tinkerbell."
"Well, that's definitely unbelievable. I can't do anything but believe you now. Tell me, Tinkerbell, what exactly are you?"
"I'm a Shiran. Kyla gave me the name Tinkerbell when I was assigned to her. And I can read your thoughts. Don't you dare doing what you just thought. I'm no good as a guinea-pig, whatever that is."
"You were assigned to Kyla, what does that mean?"
"She was in need of help and I heard her thoughts so I went to help her. I have to stay with her until I have my final size then I can go elsewhere."
"Your final size?" Kylie asked, "What does that mean?"
"With every wish that is granted to Kyla and that goes right I will shrink. When we start existing we are quite big but our final size is about the size of a sand grain, some of us even manage to become smaller. That is what we Shirans strive for. And I hope that Kyla's wishes aren't getting harder because I don't know how much more I can do. So now, don't you think it's time to get to another universe?"
"What happens if you leave?" Fraiser asked.
"It's kind of leaving my body. I will fall unconscious or go to sleep in this universe and wake up in another one. Isn't it time to sleep anyway?"
"Not really but you can try. May I stay and watch?"
"There's nothing to see," Tinkerbell said, "But I don't mind if you stay here and watch over Kyla. Kylie, do you have Shiran as well?"
"No, I don't. Why?"
"Do you need one?"
"Not really, I'm in no trouble at all and I think I can manage on my own. But once you're finished with Kyla I don't mind if you come to stay with me for a while. I could need a genie that grants me three wishes."
"No problem. But it might take a while. Kyla's quite demanding concerning her wishes – and don't even think that, Kyla. I don't like jars."
Kyla grinned and leaned back in her bed.
"I know it's much to ask but would you leave this universe while you're standing? I can't quite believe it yet. I will catch you when you fall."
Kyla cocked an eyebrow and looked at Tinkerbell who just shrugged.
"I don't care, your decision, Kyla."
Kyla nodded and got out of bed. Tinkerbell sat down on her hand and blinked her eyes. The little stars started to spread and to Janet Fraiser's surprise Tinkerbell vanished into thin air. The same moment Kyla's body went limb and sank to the ground. Janet caught her and smiled. She couldn't believe what she had just seen. Together with Kylie she laid Kyla's unconscious body onto the bed.

–—
Chapter 54 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1

An Imaginative View Of The World 54/?

She opened her eyes. Where was she now? It looked as if the experiment had worked. And this was the first time she had changed universes when she was told to and that someone had been watching. Fraiser could tell her exactly what had been happening to her body when she had left the universe. A new start. Maybe she could use that some day to solve the mystery of being away from her universe. She was in a room that looked quite unfamiliar. She looked at herself. The clothes were those of Hogwarts. She was back in the wizarding world. And she hoped that she would have the chance to stay a little longer this time.
"Hey Kyla," said a voice. A young woman had stepped through the door. Hermione. "You look like you've lost your way. Want to come along?"
"Where are we? Where are you going?"
"Where are we? Hogwarts, a corridor. I want to go outside. What happened to you up at Dumbledore's office? Everybody's talking about it."
"Not too much. He gave me a few advices. Do you have some time? I think there's a lot to tell."
"We need to practice a few charms but otherwise we have loads of time. Have you seen Harry or Ron lately?"
"I haven't seen anyone except Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall. But that's part of what I wanted to tell you. Guess I need your help."
"Miss Parker," a snarling voice called, "The headmaster wishes to see you again." It was Snape who was calling after her. Hermione cast her a worried look but Kyla only shook her head and followed Snape down the corridor towards the headmaster's office. The huge stone goblin that was guarding the entrance to the office stepped aside when Snape told him the right password and up they went on the moving steps.
"Professor Dumbledore, I brought your student. The potion is finished and I hope it will work."
He handed Dumbledore a phial with the pink and blue liquid and smiled a nasty smile.
"If you don't mind –"
"Of course not, you can leave. Thank you, Severus."
Professor Snape nodded and left the office without another word. Kyla looked at Fawkes, the Phoenix, that was sitting on its dais.
"If he lets you you can try to pat him. He likes to be scratched under his beak. I'll prepare everything for your departure."
Kyla just looked at him, unable to say anything. She walked slowly towards the Phoenix. He turned his head and looked at her. Hesitantly she stretched out her hand and he turned his head upwards so she could reach his favorite spot. Dumbledore smiled.
"Only few students had the magic to touch him. You are something very special. Otherwise he would have turned his back towards you or would have bitten you. You're a lucky girl. But nevertheless it's time for you to leave. You know you don't belong here and I know it as well. If you should return here, please don't talk about this kind of traveling with the other students but I hope that the potion works and will bring you back to your own world. I wish you all the luck you need and a little more," he added and looked at her over his crooked nose with the halfmoon spectacles, "And give my kindest regards to your friend Willow."
"I will tell her. Can you help me before I leave? There is something –"
"No problem. The band itself is gone, Willow did a good job in hiding it, and it will only protect you from mortal peril when you need it. Your friend did her job too well. And tell her that she's always welcome to visit me here once she finds The Door. Now Kyla, be a good girl and drink this. It will bring you closer to home. It's a little like floo powder so keep your elbows close to you."
Before Kyla could say another word he had given her the phial and nodded assuringly. It didn't look very tasty.
"Don't worry, it tastes like strawberry ice cream."
She tried to smile and emptied the phial with one deep gulp. It really tasted like strawberries and caused a funny feeling down her throat and in her belly. She saw Dumbledore standing in front of her, waving her goodbye and then she sped through the darkness.
Chapter 55 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1
Warning: My evil mini-me is back… This part is definitely rated PG-13, maybe even a little higher (like PG-14 *g*). If you're easily shocked you shouldn't read on and simply leave this part out. The next part will explain a lot as well… You've been warned.

An Imaginative View Of The World 55/?

She didn't dare opening her eyes. Did it mean that she would never return to the universe with Harry Potter? What was the potion for anyway? Dumbledore had said it would help her find her way back to her own universe. Maybe she was in her own universe right now? She opened her eyes. This wasn't home. She was in a blue colored room. The ceiling was blue, the walls were blue. She was lying on a bed. Even the bed was blue. She was wearing funny clothes. They were blue. She looked around. There was a bed next to her. Jarod. Dressed in blue. She turned to the other side. Another bed. Another blue dressed person. Kira. The sky behind the blue curtains was blue as well. The door opened and Samantha Waters entered the room. She was dressed in blue as well. To be true, she had a tinge of blue in her skin as well. What was going on? This was wrong. She closed her eyes and shook her head.
"Are you alright?" Sam asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just seeing everything blue," Kyla said and opened her eyes. She closed them again and opened them again.
She was in a pink colored room. The ceiling was pink, the walls were pink. She was lying on a bed. Even the bed was pink. She was wearing funny clothes. They were pink. She looked around. There was a bed next to her. Jarod. Dressed in pink. She turned to the other side. Another bed. Another pink dressed person. Kira. The sky behind the pink curtains was pink as well. She rubbed her eyes. What was wrong with her?
"Now I'm seeing everything pink. Even you. What's wrong?"
"Don't worry."
"I am worried. Blue and pink?"
"Try again."
She closed her eyes and slowly counted to 10 before she opened her eyes. The walls were white. The ceiling was white. Her clothes were white. Jarod's clothes were white. Kira's clothes were white. Sam's clothes were white. Sam looked normal.
"What's the color of my nightgown?"
"White, Kyla. This is no nightgown. Just a dress.
"What happened to Jarod and Kira?"
"They're fine. And the thing with the colors is an aftereffect of the gas you were exposed to. Now come with me, Miss Parker wants to see you. I think she can explain a lot."
Kyla nodded and followed Samantha Waters out of the room. They stepped out into a corridor. It stretched into each direction as far as the eye could see. It was painted white with more doors than Kyla could count.
"Where are we?"
"I don't know. A young man who called himself Scott came into the café a few minutes after you had called for Jarod to help you. He kindly asked me to follow him without questions. He had a gun and he said that the three of you had already left through the back door. Outside a car was waiting for me. The windows were blackened and I couldn't see outside. We drove around for nearly three hours until we arrived here. We got out of the car inside an underground car park. I haven't seen anything of the surrounding area and I have no idea where we are. There are many people dressed in white and a lot of them look like doctors. I think this is some kind of huge laboratory but I'm not sure yet. I don't sense anything. Those people are fascinating."
"And where are you taking me?"
"To Miss Parker's office. She wants to see you."
"How do you know which way to go? The corridor looks all the same to me and so do those doors."
"The doors are marked. You have to look at them carefully. They have numbers on them. You have to look very carefully. Can you see them?"
Kyla stared at the door intently but couldn't make out anything but a crystal white door. She turned to face Sam and was about to say that she didn't see anything when she saw the number. It was painted onto the door in minuscule writing just above the doorknob.
"What do those numbers stand for?"
"I don't know. You have to save your questions for Miss Parker. She will answer them."
"You talk about her like she's a Goddess."
"No," Samantha smiled, "She's much more."
Kyla sighed inwardly. Another universe were Miss Parker was different. This universe had started quite normal. It had been the first universe she had "really visited", where her dreams had started to become some kind of reality. But with the time things were getting more complicated and inexplicable. It felt more unreal with every reality-jump. This universe had a touch of "Bruce Almighty". A long white corridor, people dressed all in white, white lights. Of course it could also be a hospital or some kind of laboratory but even in those institutions there were specks of color. After a while she realized that even the door handles were white. Many of the people walking around had white hair and a very pale skin. The further they went the more intense the whiteness seemed to become. Samantha stopped in front of a door. It looked somehow different. The door handle was silver. Samantha knocked and entered. Kyla followed her. This room was completely different – or so it seemed. The walls and the ceiling were white, the huge desk was white as well. But Miss Parker was dressed in black. She seemed to be the Centre of the room. She smiled at Kyla.
"I am sorry that I had to force you to come here and I'm sorry I had to sedate you but there were certain things that needed to be done while you were unconscious."
"Such as?" Kyla's voice was far from being calm. She tried not to show her anger. They had done something to her. They had violated her privacy? More experiments?
"We had to prepare you for your stay here. All four of you are valuable guests here at this institution and we need you desperately. This is why I want you to listen carefully. And please sit down and stop pacing the room, Kyla."
Kyla looked at Miss Parker who was sitting in her white leather chair behind her white desk. Her black hair and her black clothes stood out in this environment. Kyla sat down and stared at Parker.
"What do you need us for?"
"Samantha is a Profiler. She can sense anything. Jarod is a pretender and can become anyone he wants to be. Kira is something special and we had to be sure. She is pregnant. And you, well, you are special too. Without knowing it Jarod has told us everything we need to know about you."
"What did you do to Jarod?"
"Nothing he hasn't endured before. Don't worry, the labrat's fine."
"And where are we?"
"This is a laboratory run by the USAF. They have no idea about the Centre or its activities. They think we are a bunch of rich people who help them. It's a little like Area 51, there are a few aliens around but they are in the lower levels. If you're a good girl you will see them later."
"What do you know about me?"
"Jarod said you're from another universe and something about the future. When we're finished talking here, you'll accompany Mr. Scott and he'll be asking a few more questions. And don't think about not answering them."
"I know the Centre's methods, yes. What do you need us for?"
"I don't think you're ready to know, Kyla."
"Breeding little aliens?" Kyla suggested and Miss Parker smiled.
"No, Kyla, we're not that far yet. Even though we've thought about that. No, we want to test how they react to you since you're from the future. They might even talk to you."
"What if I don't want to?" Kyla asked.
"You don't have a choice, Kyla. You're here and you're not leaving until I say so. And since you claim to know me, you should know that I tell the truth. Scott, take her to the interrogation room and bring Miss Waters back to her room. Jamie," she addressed the woman standing next to her, "Go and look after Jarod and his girlfriend. They're not supposed to wake up any time soon. Afterwards you can join us in the interrogation room."
So much for her hope that Miss Parker wasn't on the evil side. She was as evil as ever and maybe even a little further around the edge. If this was something like Area 51 she had to expect the worst. And from what Parker had said this wasn't a laboratory but a research facility. Research that included aliens and some methods she didn't want to think about.
"Interrogation room S-5," Parker said and got up. "Get moving everyone, we don't have all the time in the world. I want results. Scott, you get started with her, I'll be with you soon."
All the time Samantha had been standing beside Kyla without saying a word. She seemed a little absent. What had they done to her? How long had they been unconscious until they had woken her? What had they done to all of them and what were they planning to do? She was afraid. Afraid for her life for the first time in a universe. This wasn't the way she wanted to end. Of course it was a completely different way to end a universe and she wouldn't be back afterwards but until she would finally leave this universe a lot of things could happen. Oh yes, she was afraid but she had no idea what this universe had prepared for her. She followed Scott (Mr. Scott?) out of Parker's office and down the corridor. Wasn't this the Scott she had seen in other universes before? He looked a little different with white hair but the similarity was there. She didn't dare to ask. He stopped in front of a door that looked like any other door in the corridor.
"Close your eyes," he demanded and took her by the upper arm. She heard him open the door and he gently pushed her through. She didn't dare opening her eyes before she was told so. He led her down another corridor. She felt a slight breeze caressing her face.
"Open your eyes and sit down."
She opened her eyes. The room around her was lying in complete darkness. There was a spotlight on a strange looking chair.
"Sit down," Scott ordered again and pushed her towards the chair. She clumsily sat down and the light intensified. She couldn't see anything anymore. Then someone was pushing a cloth over her face.
She tried to slow down her breathing. What was this? She had expected some kind of sedative but nothing seemed to happen. She was still conscious. The light was losing strength. The cloth was withdrawn from her face. She could breathe free again. The light was gone. How could Scott move so freely around the room? She didn't see anything. Something hard was pressed against her chest and her wrists. She heard a clicking sound. Something was pushed over her head and around her neck. She didn't hear Scott anymore. She was alone in the room and awfully afraid. She wanted to get up, wanted to find the door and run. Run as far as she could. But she couldn't. What had happened? The lights came back on. Someone was sitting right in front of her. Who was that girl? The lights were getting stronger and she found herself sitting in front of a mirrored wall. Her hands were strapped to the chair so were here legs and feet. A strange looking instrument had been pulled over her head and was covering part of her face. Her neck was covered with something that looked like a hedge hock. It was silver and over 20 sharp pins were coming out of it (or were they going in?) What had they done to her? And why did this situation seem so familiar? Had she been here before? Had she been brought here when she had first arrived at this facility?
The door opened and two men were coming in. Their faces were covered with masks, they were dressed all in white, with gloves and protective gloves over their shoes. They didn't speak and didn't look at her each time she tried to catch their eyes. From the corner of the room, from out of the darkness, one of them came with a table filled with strange instruments. One of the instruments was covered with cables which the man connected to the spikes on her collar. She wanted to scream but no sound came out. She looked at herself in the mirror. She had definitely opened her mouth to scream but the mirror image hadn't even moved a muscle. She wanted to turn her head, wanted to fight against the restraints, but nothing happened. Not even a single muscle in her body seemed to be under her control anymore. She wanted to blink but even her eyes were out of control. She panicked
"Don't fight it," said the man and pushed a button on his control table. The chair moved her into a nearly lying position but she could still see herself in the mirror even though she didn't want to she had to. She couldn't closer her eyes anymore, she was forced to stare at herself being connected to more and more machines that seemed to be coming from out of nowhere. At last a computer was being led from the ceiling and hovered over her head. The two men stepped back and in the mirror Kyla could see the door open and Miss Parker entered the room. She was still wearing her black clothes. Nothing had changed but she looked different. There was an evil grin on her face.
"Jarod always resisted since you arrived which was two weeks ago. Last time you've been in here we achieved quite a success and I want to repeat it. Don't worry, you won't know what happened afterwards. It will hurt only little."
She smiled and reached for a cable that was dangling from the computer above her head. When Parker connected it to the thing upon her head, Kyla felt everything getting warmer. Something was happening to her but she didn't know what it was. She felt something tugging on her head and saw that the cable wasn't a normal cable but something that pulled her up. She saw Parker in the mirror nod slightly and push a button. There were those clicking sounds again and she saw that the restraints from her wrists and arms, legs and ankles were no more connected to the chair. What was happening to her? She was still staring at herself in the mirror, unable to change anything, unable to understand what was going on.
The cables that had been attached to her restraints were retreating - or so it seemed at first. She saw in the mirror that they were retreating but that they were pulling her limbs along. It looked grotesque. The pulling stopped. She was sitting in the chair like a discarded doll. Her legs and arms were dangling over the edge. The only thing that was still where it belonged was her head. The thing on her head was still getting warmer and it was beginning to be unbearable. Somehow she felt like she had watched too much Star Trek. It looked a little like she was being transformed into a Borg drone - a computer, an android. Parker pushed another button and the grin on her face spread. The chair was being pulled by invisible hands from under her body. The same time her head was pulled upwards. Her legs and arms were pulled sideways until she was hanging in midair - still facing the mirror. She thought that she looked like a crude voodoo doll that was being prepared for a ritual. She could still think about something funny, when something horrible like this was happening? There was still a strong tension in the cables and they were trying to pull her further. She couldn't resist and had to watch herself being extended to what looked like inhuman shape. Then it suddenly stopped. She was bolt upright, her face facing the mirror. Parker stepped in front of her, in her hand she held a bunch of cables which she was connecting to the shackles on her wrists and to the huge silver plate that was covering her whole upper body. Now that she was completely facing the mirror and could see herself completely, she felt even more horrified. This didn't look like a simple experiment or an interrogation, this was torture.
"Now relax, Kyla. This is just the beginning. Now we're starting the experiment," Parker smiled wickedly and pushed a button on the computer above Kyla's head. The heat in her head seemed to be exploding and the collar with the pins tightened around her neck. When the needles slowly sank into her neck the cables changed their color and so did every other cable that connected to her body. The pain was everywhere but she was still hanging from the ceiling without a single movement. When she felt like she couldn't take any more the room around her disappeared into blissful darkness.

–—
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=337