Duets by JasmineSky
Summary: The Centre acquires two 'special' twins that have been tragically orphaned. But does the Centre know just what it is they have?
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: Angelo, Jarod, Miss Parker, Mr Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: Warning: Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 28648 Read: 2326 Published: 14/06/05 Updated: 14/06/05

1. Part One of Seven by JasmineSky

2. Part Two of Seven by JasmineSky

3. Part Three of Seven by JasmineSky

4. Part Four of Seven by JasmineSky

5. Part Five of Seven by JasmineSky

6. Part Six of Seven by JasmineSky

7. Part Seven of Seven by JasmineSky

Part One of Seven by JasmineSky
DISCLAIMER: The characters and events in this story are fictitious. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author. "The Pretender" is a protected trademark of MTM Television and NBC, and the characters of that series are used here with no mean intent or desire for remuneration. It is a fan tribute to excellent television, for which the author is grateful. The characters of Casey and Stacey Winslow and Damien are my creations.

Notes: The events of this story take place just after the events in Baby Love
Thoughts are indicated by italics

Rating: NC-17 (male/female sexual situations)

Copyright: 1997



Duets
Part One of Seven
JasmineSky



Sydney walked slowly into Mr. Parker's office, dreading what might have caused him to summoned there.

Mr. Parker wasted no time on pleasantries. "You have a new assignment."

"What?" Sydney was incredulous. "Jarod is my priority! I can't take on another assignment."

"You can and you will. You will still be on call if Jarod is located. It's been over a month since we've had a sighting on him and almost a year since he escaped. The Center has work to do. We must move on without Jarod. Your new project may be just what we need."

"How so?" Sydney inquired, just a bit curious.

Parker handed him a newspaper clipping.

"Twins orphaned by a car bombing" Sydney read the caption aloud. He then continued reading about twin girls from Meridian, Maryland who witnessed their parents car explode as the father turned the ignition. The girls were 17 years old and had been home schooled. Authorities could find no record of their birth. They had found no records whatsoever except for some test scores indicating both girls had IQ's in the 240 range. Authorities were searching for relatives to take the girls in.

"The girls are coming here?" Sydney wondered.

"Yes" Parker explained, "The Centre produced documents to indicate that their third cousin on their mother's side lives in Blue Cove and will provide for them."

"Your job, Sydney, is to find out just what they can do. Or what Stacey can do. The article didn't mention that Casey is disturbed."

"Disturbed?"

"Psychotic. We aren't sure in what way. That will be your job also"

"I'll do my best." Sydney replied.

"I know you will. They arrive at noon tomorrow."


* * * *


The black car pulled up in front of the Centre--followed by a large Hertz moving van. Sydney, Broots and Miss Parker peered at the monitor.

"Looks like your new wunderkids are moving in bag and baggage!" Miss Parker quipped.

"Are they supposed to be Pretenders? Are they gonna replace Jarod?" Broots spoke before thinking.

"No one knows what the girls can or can't do. And no one will ever replace Jarod!" Sydney told him, then turned on his heels and headed downstairs to meet his new charges.


* * * *


As Sydney approached, he could see a young lady with long blonde hair gesturing wildly and apparently arguing with one of the sweepers who had brought the twins to the Centre. She was wearing faded blue jeans and a hot pink T-shirt with a collage of endangered animal pictures on the front. As he got a bit closer he could hear them.

"I do what I'm told to do by my boss, Miss" Carlos explained.

"Well, you tell that boss of yours Casey and I aren't taking another step until we have Damien. Right here. Right now!"

Another sweeper, George, came charging up with a large black Doberman on a leash.

"Damien!" Stacey exclaimed, "There you are, boy!" She took the leash. Her sister cautiously got out of the car and began to pet the dog. She too had on faded jeans, but she wore a crop top that looked like it had been ripped at the bottom rather than cut. Her hair was in disarray.

Sydney cleared his throat. "Excuse me. I'm Dr. Sydney Green. I'll show you to your room."

"I'm Stacey. Are you the man who claims to be our cousin?" Stacey spat out.

"Um, no. I ‘ll be helping look after you."

"We don't need looking after. Just show us to our rooms."


* * * *


Sydney led the way to the room assigned to the twins. George, Carlos and a couple of other sweepers tagged along with several suitcases. Stacey still had Damien on the leash.

"Animals aren't allowed in this part of the building." Carlos stated.

"Damien goes where we go. Don't worry! He's well trained and we'll walk him when the need arises." Stacey told him.

The sweepers put down the baggage and exited.

"So--is this Casey's room or my room?" Stacey inquired

"We thought you might want to room together." Sydney informed her.

"You thought wrong. For now it will do, but I expect private accommodations as soon as possible."

"I'll let you get settled in."

"Hey wait--those goons forgot to stop for lunch. How about rustling up some hamburgers and fries?"

"I'll see what I can do."


* * * *


Mr. Parker and Mr. Raines had watched everything from the monitors in Mr.Raines office.

"Demanding little wench, isn't she?" Parker said, amused.

"I just hope Sydney can get her to cooperate." Raines muttered.

"I have faith in Sydney. If anyone can get results with twins he can."

"That remains to be seen."


* * * *


After sending George to the nearest McDonald's (a thirty minute drive, both ways) for the girls' meal, Sydney sat down in his office to reflect on the days events .

Stacey certainly had a mind of her own and wasn't shy about stating her thoughts or needs. Casey, on the other hand, had not uttered a word. She walked slowly with her head down. They were lovely young ladies--long blond hair, ice blue eyes, slim figures, but full and round in all the right places. What am I thinking? Sydney admonished himself. He took down a textbook and began looking for information on Casey's symptoms.


* * * *


An hour later, George came by Sydney's office with the McDonald's food. Carlos was with him.

"They're all yours now, Sydney. You take them their chow. I sure don't envy you your job." George told him.

Carlos chuckled. "You should have been there, Sydney. World War Three almost broke out."

"Tell me about it." Sydney asked, intrigued.

"Parker sent two loads of Sweepers to get them. We didn't know what we would encounter. It's a good thing he did--the Winslow compound is nothing short of a fortress." George began.

Carlos picked up the story," We finally got through all the gates and suddenly we were face to face with a bunch of armed guards. Amos had the documents and he waved them in the air and told them we had official business there."

"They didn't budge. The whole lot of us had guns pulled. It was getting very tense until the door opened and Stacey walked out"

"All those guns pulled and she didn't bat an eye. She walked up to Amos and got the documents, glanced over them, and told Amos and Carlos they could come inside.

Carlos smiled and added," She also told, no ordered everyone to put away their weapons. Once we were in the house she and a lady who had been staying with the girls until other arrangements could be made looked through the paperwork. Stacey stated right away that there were forgeries and she did not have any cousin in Delaware or anywhere else. The lady seemed to think they were real."

"Anyway, Stacey finally said she and her sister would come with us--and asked where the van was. She wouldn't move a muscle until we had the big truck there to put every personal possession they had in." George continued.

"Plus the dog and the horses."

"Horses?" Sydney inquired.

"Two Arabian stallions. Necromancer and Daedulus. We used the Winslow's horse trailer and left them at a stable two hours from the Centre." Carlos explained.

"Yep. That Stacey is one demanding little lady. Just seventeen and I'd bet she could go one on one with Miss Parker!" George commented.

"The poor kid had been through a lot. And you saw how rich they were. Rich people are used to getting what they want."

"Sounds like you want to adopt her yourself" George teased.

A strange look passed over Carlos's face.

"I amend that! I see it isn't paternal interest you have in her. She is a looker!"

Sydney cleared his throat. "I'd better get that food to them before it gets cold."


* * * *


Sydney knocked on the girls' door. He could hear quite a racket going on inside. As Stacey opened the door, the music almost knocked Sydney back. It was acid rock and it was loud. Casey was dancing wildly in the middle of the floor.

"Turn it down." Stacey ordered her sister. She was ignored.

Stacey waked over to Casey and took her sister's face in her hands and looked intensely into her eyes. Casey went to her CD player and turned the volume to low, then followed her twin to the door.

"It's safe to come in now." Stacey told Sydney.

Syd stepped just inside the door. "Here's your lunch."

Stacey took one of the bags and Sydney handed the other toward Casey. She stared at the bag.

"Casey, this is Dr. Sydney Green. I'm going to be working with him."

Casey stared at Sydney for a moment then grabbed the bag and rushed to a nearby desk to eat. Damien lay at her feet. Stacey motioned for Sydney to sit in a chair by another desk and she pulled up a chair for herself. She took the hamburger out of the bag and began to nibble it.

"So, Sydney, what exactly is this place and why is someone claiming to be my cousin?" she blurted out.

Sydney was a bit startled at her pointed questions.

"This is a sort of think tank. The people who run it think you might enjoy working here. And what makes you so sure he isn't your cousin? Maybe your parents just never mentioned him."

"I'm sure there are no Randall Parker's in my family. When do I get to meet this faux cousin?"

"I don't know."

"Then find out. Arrange a meeting if one isn't scheduled."

"I'll see what I can do."

Damien's bark made Sydney jump.

"Oh, he needs to go out. You take him Sydney. I'm not through eating." She got up, put Damien on his leash and handed it to Sydney. The dog looked at the man warily and vice versa. Stacey knelt down to the dog.

"This is Sydney." she said and patted Syd's leg," Good, good." She stood back up and looked at Sydney.

"Are you sure you didn't just tell him my LEG was good--for lunch?" Sydney quipped.

At first she didn't react to the joke, then her face lit up and she laughed out loud.

Sydney hurried down the hall with Damien in tow, trying not to think about the tingle he got down his spine when she laughed. His mind was also on how her eyes sparkled and how her smile lit up the room. He ran right into Broots.

"Whoh! Sydney!" Broots exclaimed.

"Sorry, Broots. I'm taking Damien for a walk."

The dog approached a suddenly nervous Broots.

"Heel, Damien." Sydney commanded and the dog complied.

Well, thought Sydney as he continued toward the courtyard, at least I have one member of the Winslow family cooperating.


* * * *


After seeing to Damien's needs, he sent Carlos (a bit reluctantly) to return the animal to his owners. Sydney headed to Parker's office to set up the meeting Stacey wanted.

Surprisingly, Mr. Parker readily agreed and told him to bring her up as soon as possible.

Sydney and Stacey entered Mr. Parker's large plush office. Mr. Raines was standing by the desk and Parker was seated. He arose and strode toward Stacey with his hand extended.

"Hello, Stacey. I'm your cousin Randall Parker. I was so sorry to hear about your parents."

She ignored the hand. "You're not my cousin." she stated firmly.

"Third cousin once removed on your father's side. I suppose they never mentioned me. I never kept up with distant relatives that much. However, I felt I must step forward when I saw the newspaper article and the Winslow name. I want to help care for you and Casey."

Stacey laughed and clapped. "Good speech, mister. But I know you're lying. You said you recognized the Winslow name? That isn't our real last name. Our parents were in a witness protection program. The Winslow name was made up."

Mr. Parker seemed taken aback. Mr. Raines then spoke for the first time.

"Then what is your last name young lady?" he queried.

"That's for me to know--and you not to find out." she smiled.

Everyone was silent for several seconds.

"Look, it doesn't really matter. We're here now. You obviously want something from me. Maybe we can work out a deal." Stacey finally told Mr. Parker.

"What kind of deal do you have in mind?"

"I'll write down my requirements and you write up a work contract. We'll meet tomorrow at this same time a negotiate."

"That sounds reasonable under the circumstances." Parker agreed.

Parker summoned Carlos to take Stacey back to her room. Sydney started to go with her, but Raines told him to remain.

"I'll check on you later, Stacey." he said as she left.


* * * *


Mr. Raines began to pace.

"She's even smarter than we figured. No wonder Broots couldn't find any records on the family." Parker stated.

"You aren't seriously considering meeting a list of demands and giving her the impression that she's working for us, are you?" Raines asked.

"I intend to make it appear that way." Parker replied. "Sydney?"

" I think your assessment is correct. That may be the only way to get anything from her. She's not a child! She's almost eighteen. I could get a child under six to cooperate using other means, but not Stacey. She has to believe she is an equal that anything she does for the Centre is of her own choosing." Sydney informed them both.

"Then that is how we will make it appear. We will of course be monitoring everything." Mr. Parker concluded.

"Of course." Sydney responded. It was, after all, the Centre.


* * * *


Sydney tapped on the girls' door. Stacey answered quickly and put her finger to her lips and pointed to a sleeping Casey. She motioned for Sydney to follow her into the bathroom. He did so hesitantly.

"I'm glad sis decided to take a nap. I wanted to talk to you without being watched."

"Being watched?"

"Sydney, I know this place has more surveillance that Fort Knox! I can sense that kind of thing. If you and I are going to be working together you are going to have to start telling me the truth."

"What truth is that?"

"I realize telling the truth is a foreign concept around here, but I need to know some things."

"Such as?"

Stacey smiled as she took Sydney's hand. "You could begin by answering four simple questions. First of all, what is the Centre, what is a Pretender, why does the ‘tower' think I might be one, and who the hell is Jarod?"

Sydney sat in stunned silence. "H--how did you know about all that? Who told you?"

"You did. Don't look so shocked. Everyone is so anxious to see what kind of ‘tricks' I can do. So--trick number one. I'm a touch telepath. Actually, I can sometimes read thoughts when I'm in very close proximity to someone."

"Incredible."

"It can be useful at times. Now are you going to answer my questions?"

"I'll try. The Centre really is a kind of think tank. It gets contracts from various agencies and from private corporations and individuals. Sometimes a client wants to find out about a historic event-to see if the world's perception of the event was correct. Others want us to negotiate a peace treaty or set up a peace accord. Others want to know what really happened in a relative's death--was is an accident, and if so what caused it; was is murder, and if so, who did it. The Centre also does scientific research-- chemical and biological. There are probably many other endeavors I know nothing about."

"Thank you Sydney."

Sydney continued. "Pretenders are geniuses that can assume another personality-- to actually become another person for a while. The Tower thinks because of your high IQ and because your parents isolated you, that you and Casey might be pretenders. Jarod was the best pretender the Centre ever had. I worked with him from the time he was four years old. He became very special to me."

"I know he is. He's in your thoughts constantly! You worry about him and are concerned that he hasn't contacted you lately. I thought maybe he was your estranged son."

"Estranged--yes. Son, no. Something like a son, actually. He's the closest to a son that I will ever have. He'll sure never see me as anything like a father." Sydney explained, looking quite sad.

"He might surprise you. You never know what another is feeling. I hate to disappoint everyone but I'm not a pretender. I don't even like acting! Now Casey, she might have had some potential there. She was always, well, pretending to be something or another when we were little. I'd play along at whatever part she assigned me, but I wasn't that good at it and I never enjoyed it."

"When did Casey symptoms first appear?"

"Shortly after our thirteenth birthday. It was like she became another person overnight."

"Did your parents take her to doctors?"

"They had the top medical and psychiatric professionals brought in from all over the Untied States, Europe and Russia! Most of them diagnosed schizophrenia, but not all agreed. Her symptoms are so erratic. None of the treatment worked either, because she's allergic to most of the drug used to combat chemical and psychiatric disorders. Two of them almost killed her and others make her sick. Experimental drugs and therapy was tried.

My sister went through test after test after test, treatment after treatment, for two years. My parents and I finally decided enough was enough. We just let her be. She is rarely destructive and I can always reach her on some level"

"Thank you for sharing that with me. I do hope we can continue to be honest with each other."

"I hope so too, Sydney. I'm going to start working on my conditions for working here. I know the contract with Parker won't be real, but I'll pretend I think it is. Hey-- maybe I have some talent in that area after all."

They were both smiling as they exited the bathroom. Sydney said his good-byes and left for the night. Stacey began writing her demands on a yellow legal pad.


* * * *


The next day, Carlos delivered breakfast to the twins.

"Did they assign you to be our personal servant?" Stacey teased him.

"More like a bodyguard. I'm assigned to you during the day. George is assigned to you at night. Kyland Pierce will guard Casey during the day, with Brigetta Lane doing night shift."

"Gee, I was kidding! I really don't need a guard of any kind. I'm more than capable of taking care of myself and my sister."

Carlos looked down.

"Don't worry, Carlos! I won't complain. You're a nice man and I wouldn't want you to get into trouble with your boss."

"Thanks." he replied, smiling at her.

"Um--do you do dog duty also?" she asked.

Carlos beamed. "Nope. Dalton and Jenkins will share that little job. They're the new guy on the block, so to speak."

"I understand completely." Stacey told him and returned to her room.

The girls spent the rest of the morning listening to quiet music and reading. Casey read a romance novel while Stacey chose a horror story.

A few minutes prior to the time the meeting with Mr. Parker was scheduled, Carlos knocked on the door.

"Stacey, it's time for me to escort you to Mr. Parker's office."

"I thought Sydney would be here."

"I don't know where Sydney is."

"Sydney is right here." said Sydney as he strode toward them.

Stacey smiled at him and took his arm. The yellow pad was under her arm.


* * * *


Stacey wasted no time, handing the pad to Parker immediately. He read the list aloud.

1.Casey and I will have separate rooms furnished with our own belongings, including all our music equipment, our televisions and our VCRs. 2.Casey and I will leave the Centre any time we wish, with whatever escort or escorts we with, for whatever reason we wish. 3. Casey and I will be taken to ride our horses every Saturday. 4. I will work for Sydney only. 5. I will not work on any project that might be used to hurt another living being. 6.There will be no surveillance and no locks on our rooms. 7.The contract will be for four months, renewable in four month increments.

"That's quite a list of demand, little lady." Mr. Parker finally commented.

"Take it or leave it."

"I accept it. I'll have your contract ready to sign within the hour." He extended his hand.

Ignoring his hand for the second time, she turned to Sydney. "Looks like we start work tomorrow morning."

The girls spent the rest of the day relaxing and the Centre spent the rest of the day and part of the next preparing to accommodate Stacey's demands.

Stacey did as she said she would. She signed the contract as soon as it was presented to her and she went with Carlos to Sydney's office first thing the next day.

"Good morning Sydney."

"Good morning, Stacey."

Syd turned toward her and almost gasped out loud. She was wearing a dress--a short, tight dress.

"What is my assignment for today?" she wondered.

"They want you to take some tests--IQ tests, aptitude tests, that sort of thing."

"Oh, how exciting." She said humorlessly. "Been there, done that."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, it's all right. Let's get it over with."

Sydney led her to a testing room and gave her a thick packet.

"You have four hours to complete this."

"Piece of cake."

Sydney, Miss Parker and Broots observed her on one monitor as Mr. Parker and Mr.Raines observed from his office.

In a little under two hours she was finished. She stood and began to stretch. Suddenly, Broots cried, "How'd he get in there?"

Everyone looked back at the monitor. Angelo was standing in front of Stacey.

Sydney started to head for the room, but Miss Parker stopped him.

"Hold on, Syd. Let's see what happens."

Stacey smiled at Angelo and extended her hand." Hello, I'm Stacey Winslow."

Angelo took her hand hesitantly.

"What's your name?" she asked.

Angelo just stared for several seconds. Stacey put both of her hands on his.

"Angelo." he finally said.

"Glad to meet you Angelo. Do you work here?"

Angelo giggled. "Yes. Work here."

"Me too. I just started." she informed him, releasing his hand.

"Hope you like it here." Angelo said very softly then turned to leave.

"Thank you, Angelo. I hope to see more of you. " She couldn't see the huge grin on his face as he exited.


* * * *


"I'm not believing this!" Broots exclaimed.

"Cousin It talks. Amazing." Miss Parker added.

Sydney, too, was quite surprised. Stacey seemed to have a very positive effect on Angelo. He hoped Parker and Raines would see it that way also.


* * * *


Sydney entered the test room and collected Stacey's completed test.

"Do you need a break, or would you like to start on the next stack?"

"Ohh-what a slave driver!" she chided, kidding him.

"We can break as long as you need."

Stacey sat back down and began to shake her shoulders. "Sydney, I've a cramp in my left shoulder. See if you can massage it out." She lifted her long hair.

Sydney began to massage the shoulder in question. His had brushed against a chain, and he noticed her necklace for the first time. It was a flat silver rectangle with colored stones in a circular pattern.

"Interesting necklace." he commented.

"Casey has one just like it. They were put on us a birth. Look at the chain--it's solid. The necklaces can't be removed without cutting them off."

Sydney examined the chain and looked at the stones again.

"Do the stones have any significance?"

"I'm sure they do, but my parents never got around to telling me what it was." She held her head down at mentioning her parents.

Syd put his other hand on her other shoulder and squeezed both shoulders lightly.

"I'm sorry about your parents, Stacey. If you ever want to talk.."

"That won't be necessary. I'm dealing with it. I'm not a little girl."

"I know that. How about Casey?"

"If she needs help she'll turn to me. She reacted very badly at first--she screamed for five straight hours. The sedatives the doctors gave her didn't phase her. I joined her the last hour. Screaming is very cathartic."

"I'll always be ready to listen if either of you change your minds."

"I appreciate your concern, Sydney. The shoulder is fine now, let's get on with the tests."

Stacey finished the aptitude tests in record time. Syd went in to collect them.

"We didn't break for lunch. Let's go the cafeteria and get some." he suggested.

"Sounds great."
Part Two of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Two of Seven
JasmineSky




As they ate their lunched they chatted.

"Are they finished with our rooms?"

"If not now, they will be soon."

"They had better get our televisions ready by nine o'clock. We get really aggravated it we miss our favorite show."

"What show is that?"

"Millennium."

"Not familiar with that one. I'll have to watch it tonight."

"It's pretty dark and gritty. Part drama, part horror."

"Sounds interesting. What else do you like?"

"On television I like: Voyager, Law and Order and Heat of the Night. As far a movies go, I've seen every one Stephen King has written. I'm a big fan of the horror genre. The Terminator and Alien series are favorites, too."

"I'm afraid I don't watch much television, although I think I saw a few episodes of Voyager and I saw Christine years ago."

"That's my LEAST favorite King movie. Firestarter, Carrie and Children of the Corn are my favorites. I liked Cujo, too, but I won't let Damien see it!"

Sydney laughed. "Oh--I did see that one too! No, we wouldn't want your pet to get any wrong ideas!"

They finished their lunches and decided to check on the rooms.


* * * *


Casey and her guard were shown to her room first. She squealed in delight as soon as the door was opened. The room was exactly like the one she'd had at her home. She turned the CD player on loud and plopped on the bed.

Stacey knelt to speak to Damien, who had stopped in the doorway.

"Damien, you stay with Casey. She needs you." she told him.

He barked in agreement, and she kissed his head before he leapt onto the bed with his mistress.

Stacey was also pleased with her room.

"Yes, it looks just like the one I left." she said as she checked drawers and closets.

"I'm glad you like it. I'll leave you to relax until dinnertime." Sydney said as he exited. Carlos took his post outside the door.

Sydney stated to return to his office when he met Miss Parker and Broots going in the opposite direction.

"Aren't you going to watch the show?" Miss Parker asked him.

"Show?" "The girls' rooms are wired. The whole Tower is watching the big monitor to see if they do anything--unusual."

"Stacey specified in her demands that there would be no surveillance in their rooms."

"So? What they don't know won't hurt them--or us. Broots rigged a system they'll never detect."

Sydney didn't like the idea, but followed the pair the Tower's viewing room. Raines, Parker and the rest of the Tower personnel sat in rows in the small, darkened theater-like room watching a movie-screen type monitor that was split, showing a wide- angle view of both girls' rooms.

What do they expect? Sydney wondered do they think they will start levitating or breathing fire? He took a seat next to Miss Parker.

No one seemed to notice the figure in the shadows . Angelo stared intently at the screen featuring Stacey.

Casey had gotten off the bed to change the CDs but had soon returned and remained motionless. Stacey was still investigating drawers and rearranging things.

"There." she said to herself. "Now everything's just right."

She opened her closet door, pulled out some clothes, and began removing her dress. Sydney was not all happy at this invasion of privacy or with the looks some Tower bigwigs were giving the screen. Thankfully, she didn't remove her underwear.

White lace bra and white cotton panties Syd noticed, getting rather warm. She put on short jean shorts and a crop top.

She walked to her CD player and selected four disks and hit a program sequence.

As the music started she began to sing and dance to the song "Under the Water". The music was karaoke, and Stacey's voice filled the air and harmonized with the other vocalists on the track. When that song finished, she went straight into a version of Leslie Gore's "You Don't Own Me".

"Now that's a good one for the Centre" she said aloud as she paused the player and went back to the closet. She put on a cowboy hat and pulled on a pair of boots. She re-started the player.

Now she sang a rendition of Tanya Tucker's "Two Sparrows in a Hurricane" causing a few Tower employees to get misty eyed.

She paused the machine once again and removed the hat and boots.

Restarting the player, she got down on her knees and bent her head to the floor. "Flashdance" began to play and she danced as the lady in the movie had danced to that music, except for the jumps. There was no room for those. When she was doing the part where the dancer is on all fours, face up and kicking into the air, Sydney thought it was one of the sexiest moves he'd seen in a long time.

When the dance was over, she turned the machine off and walked to the center of the room. It looked as if she were staring directly at the hidden camera. As it turned out, she was.

"Hello, Tower members and anyone else lurking up there." She stated firmly. "I hope you enjoyed the show. I enjoy performing for a captive audience, although you can see I'm not ready to threaten Hollywood or Nashville."

"You all sit there watching, waiting---for what? What do you expect me to do?" She paused and paced a minute.

"Sort of remind me of a story I once heard. A man wanted to trap and animal. He felt that controlling an animal would make him feel powerful, so he set a trap. The next day he goes to his trap and sees the bag wiggling. He has no idea what he had caught, but he is so excited that he reached his hand in---and pulls out a Cobra."

"You don't know what you have. Better be careful." she moved two fingers like a snake's tongue and made a hissing sound for effect. "Casey and I can leave this place any time we want. And if anyone were to try to stop us--well, I don't like to hurt people, but I can and I will in necessary."

"Bad boy, Mr. Parker. I told you. No locks. No surveillance in the rooms."

She walked to the door, which was locked from the outside. After staring at it for several seconds, she opened the door and looked triumphant at the camera. Shutting the door, she started at the camera and said, "Good night, Sydney. Hope you like ‘trick' number two."

The camera suddenly ceased functioning, as did the one in Casey's room.

Several people turned to look at Sydney, who was as shocked as the rest of them.

"Damn." Miss Parker whispered to Syd, "Looks like you wunderbrat is dangerous."

Sydney made no comment, rising to exit with the other personnel.

Raines and Parker stopped him at the door.

"You better figure out what all that one can do, and make sure she doesn't use it against the Centre." Raines rumbled.

"I am doing the best I can. She seems to like me. She also seems like a nice person. We just have to be careful not to push her. And no more trying to trick her! That hidden camera was uncalled for. I have to work with her my way."

"We'll see." Parker ended the discussion.

Angelo quickly slipped out of the room. He'd watched intently the whole time. Seeing Stacey perform and dance had stirred something in him, feelings and thoughts he's never had before. He wasn't sure what--if anything--he should do


* * * *


Sydney couldn't get to sleep that night. Stacey was quite a young lady, full of surprises. He couldn't get his mind off her. He looked forward to working with her in the following days.


* * * *


Carlos and Stacey entered the lab where she was to begin work the next morning. Seeing that Sydney was already there, Carlos went just outside the door the man his post.

"What are doing toady. Sydney?" she asked.

Sydney looked uncomfortable.

Stacey walked up to him and took his hand. "It's all right, Sydney. Just tell me what THEY want me to do."

"Two things actually. They want you to tell me how you opened the locks and stopped the cameras and they want you to do some simulations."

"I just think about what I want to happen--and it happens. The power of positive thanking, maybe? I really don't want to discuss my little tricks--talents, I suppose. I wrote on one of the damned surveys they had me fill out that I don't want to do sims. I prefer to examine the facts and go from there."

"They still want you to try a few."

Stacey knew he was hiding something. She put both of her hands on his.

"Oh, no wonder you're so uncomfortable. They want me to repeat some of Jarod's sims--see if we come up with the same results."

"Yes. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. Let me see what you have available--I'll choose a few to satisfy the Tower."

Sydney handed her a folder with fifty of Jarod's sims listed in it.

Stacey looked them over carefully.

"I can't do a lot of these because I already know all the theories and investigations that have been done--JFK, Marilyn Monroe, the Hindenburg. I'm not familiar with the cave rescue, the Johnson case, and the vision quest scenario. Let's try those."

It took about an hour to set up the cave rescue sim. Workers lowered Stacey head first into what appeared to be a cave. A small hand was reaching up through the rubble. She reached as far as she could, but couldn't quite grasp the hand.

"Another collapse is eminent--your must abort now." Sydney advised from his position.

Stacey hesitated only a moment. "Get me outta here, guys." They brought her over the edge as the rest of the ‘cavern' collapsed.

"What was the purpose of that sim, Sydney? It was impossible to rescue that victim under those conditions."

" The collapse happened in West Virginia. The rescuers wanted to know if they had done everything possible."

"Then this sim should have reassured them."

"It did."

"Did Jarod do the same thing?"

"No, he didn't." Syd said and explained how young Jarod has ‘died' trying to save the youngster.

"He was young then. I hope he learned from the experience. If you feel yourself killed trying to do something impossible, you won't be there to help others in a situation where rescue might be possible."

"I believe Jarod found out recently that you cannot save everyone, no matter how hard you try."

They broke for lunch the went to the sim area for the second session.

The Johnson case involved a bank teller that got locked in a bank vault and suffocated. Sydney told her find out how it had happened and if he could have save himself. She stepped into the large re-creation of a vault and the door was shut. She examined the door and everything in the room, then sat cross-legged in the middle of the vault for over an hour.

"I have some answers, Sydney, " she said, rising. They let her out of the ‘vault'.

"The bag in the middle of the floor was the tellers. He'd gone in to steal some of the money. He had plane tickets to Haiti in his satchel. He had propped the door open with a bag of coins, which I noticed just inside the door. The heavy door slowly and silently pushed the bag of coins until it snapped shut. Then, it was too late. The bank had closed for the weekend and there was no alarm on the inside."

"Very good, Stacey."

"Did they catch his partner?"

"Partner?"

"There were notes in the bag, also. The teller was leaving his wife. There were two plane tickets, so his new girlfriend must have been in on the deal."

"That never occurred to Jarod. But you are correct. They caught her at the airport, waiting for him."

"Jarod didn't have the life experiences--nor the benefit of years of watching mystery movies and detective television shows."

"The next sim may take a while to complete. We'll start first thing tomorrow."

"Fine. See you then."


* * * *


Carlos escorted her to Casey's room. She spent the rest of the day with her sister. She retired to her own room at ten o'clock.

Around ten-thirty, Carlos heard her scream, then heard muffled cries. He hesitated for a few seconds, then entered the room and saw her thrashing under the covers.

"Stacey," he said softly and he gently touched her arm.

She awoke with a start, then went into his arms. He held her and did his best to comfort her. "Bad dreams, huh?"

She regained her composure. "Very bad. Thank you for waking me up, Carlos."

"Any time, little lady."

She sat on the edge of the bed as he exited. She was about to try to get to sleep again when she heard a sound at her air vent. She went to it and looked up.

"Hello, Angelo." she said.

The vent popped open and Angelo dropped out.

"You had a bad dream." he stated.

"Yes--how did you know?"

Angelo was silent. Stacey grasped his hands and `read' his thoughts.

"So--you're a receptor! You are very sensitive to psychic energy."

"Better than being a `sponge' I guess." he whispered.

"Let's go back up there--we can talk and no one will here us."

Angelo jumped back into the vent and extended his arm to pull her up. They climbed around for a while then sat side by side with their backs against the vent wall.

"Can you show me where in the Centre there are no surveillance cameras? No bugs?"

"Yes."

"Great. Why do they think you're a sponge? Because you don't talk to them?"

"I'm sure that's a part of it. When I was very young I had a hard time with oral communication and with expressing my feelings. I think I may have had childhood autism or a severe speech delay. Whatever it was, they decided I wouldn't do as a pretender. Thank goodness Sydney discovered how good I was at reading and comprehending lots of material and how good I was at using computers. Otherwise, they might have eliminated me."

"Eliminated? I knew the Centre was bad news. But they actually kill their failures?"

"A few get released back into society. They didn't think I could adapt in the real world. Until about the age of twelve, I probably couldn't have. By then, I had overcome whatever problems I had. I never told anyone, thought, because I had observed everything through the years. I didn't want to be subjected to endless simulations and I didn't want to be on the receiving end of any of Raines's projects. So, I took on the `sponge' persona. Useful in certain circumstances, but someone they ignore most of the time."

"That was a very wise move for you Angelo. Thank you so much for sharing that with me."

"I need to get back to bed now, but tomorrow night you can show me `safe' spots in the Centre."

"OK" said Angleo as he watched her crawl back toward her room. Angelo sat still for several minutes. He had just learned something about himself--not only was he receptive to those with psychic abilities, he could read thought they were not projecting. He had put his arm against Stacey's while talking and had `drawn' thoughts from her. One of these thought bothered him a great deal. He was certain of what he's `read'--Stacey was in love with Sydney. He finally found the word that described what he was feeling. Jealousy . He'd had no experience with this concept before and didn't like it one bit now. Oh, Stacey I want you myself!

He contemplated the situation a while longer before heading for his own bed.


* * * *


The next morning Carlos showed Casey to the area where the last of the re- created sims was to take place.

"Good Morning, Stacey. Here are the documents you need to read about this sim." Sydney said, handing her a folder.

She read them quickly, then went over to look at the small enclosure that was supposed to simulate desert heat.

"Sydney. I can't do this one. I have claustrophobia--no way am I getting in that thing. Besides, Casey and I did something similar to this when we were twelve."

"I understand. What do you mean by `something like this'.?

"According to the notes, Jarod designed this sim for himself. He'd been reading about the various rites of passage young Native Americans went thought to become a man, or to receive a vision of who they were, or receive a spirit guide. He knew the Centre would never let him go to a real sweat lodge and smoke peyote, nor would they leave him alone in a real desert for days. He designed the next best thing. Casey and I became interested in Native Americans when were twelve and we wanted spirit guides. Our parents flew us to Arizona, found a medicine man that would accommodate us, and let us experience two days in a sweat lodge--complete with a small dose of peyote!"

"What was the result?" Sydney was fascinated.

"We got our vision--our spirit guides came to us."

"And what was yours?"

"Sydney! You know I can't tell you that!" she replied, winking at him. "Did Jarod find what he needed?" she wanted to know.

"I think he found a part of it, such as the fact that he has great stamina and will- power."

"I suppose he is finding out a lot more about himself now."

"He certainly is. Still, I worry about him."

"Of course you do. You care about him."

"He doesn't believe that, not now. He thinks he was just a --a lab rat to me."

"Was he?"

Sydney was a bit taken aback by her question, but she was looking him in the eye and he couldn't bear to lie to her. He also knew she had used her `tricks' to block the camera in the room.

"At first, I did. Rather, I tried to. He was a four year old child, for God's sake! I couldn't believe the Centre wanted me to set up sims with one so young. I went to the board of directors to see if they would consider postponing the sims for a few years until Jarod was older. I could have used those years to educate Jarod and prepare him for the tasks ahead. The board wouldn't hear of it. Jarod showed so much promise that they wanted to utilize him immediately. Mr. Parker told me if I couldn't handle the job they would get someone who could. That could mean my brother Jacob, which would have been all right at that time. It could also have meant Mr. Raines or Mr. Morah. Neither of them would have been good for Jarod. Raines had already stolen one of my clients, Angelo. And now Angleo is some twisted caricature of a person."

"So, you did the best for Jarod under the circumstances."

"Yes. I tried to play the perfect scientist. Keep my clinical cool and keep my subject focused on his task. Jarod would get frightened by some of the sims. I wanted nothing more than to grab him and run as far away from the Centre as possible."

"And then they would have tracked you down, killed you and given Jarod to another doctor."

"Probably. Quite likely. I did all I could to prepare Jarod for the sims and allowed him to stop one any time he wanted to. After each sim, I had him write what the sim was about, what he had felt and his perception of the events in a notebook. It was a kind of debriefing. By the time Jarod was ten years old, he would discuss the sims with me readily and argue a point if he felt like it. By age twelve, he was helping design his own sims."

"So--you came to care about him? As a person?"

"Yes. I don't think anyone could be around Jarod for very long and not come to care about him. I tried to keep him happy, as much as the Centre would allow. I'd have liked nothing better than to have taken him to the zoo, to have gone fishing with him, to have thrown him birthday parties. It had been decided, however, that he could perform better if he wasn't exposed to such things. I hated to keep him so isolated."

"What about Jarod's family?"

"I had been told that he was an orphan, that his parents had been killed in a plane crash."

"And that wasn't so?"

"No. Miss Parker and I just found out a few weeks ago. Jarod was kidnapped! His parents may be alive. Jarod suspected the truth months ago and is actively searching for them. I want to help him so bad it hurts. I'd do anything to prove to him that I do care!"

"Was taking care of Jarod the only reason you stayed at the Centre?"

"No. There was young Miss Parker. Both her parents were preoccupied with Centre business, then her mother died. She was left pretty much on her own. She and Jarod became aquatinted. I knew they met secretly from time to time but I didn't try to stop it. Something happened between them if their teens and they've seemed mad at each other ever since. Then too, there was the fact that no one `quits' the Centre. Not and live long, anyway."

"How come you started working here to start with?"

"My twin brother Jacob and I had just graduated at the top of our class. A representative approached us. They never mentioned `The Centre'. He just told us that a secret facility was interested in us. We were told it was a sort of think-tank and needed top psychiatrists to help in its studies. The salaries they offered were unheard of in those days for beginning practices. Jacob and I had always dreamed of opening our own clinic to study twin phenomena part of the time and to have our private practices part of the time. With the money we'd make working for this organization, we'd have had sufficient funds in ten years. Jacob was a bit suspicious, but I was gung-ho. We signed the contracts a month after graduation. By the time we figured out what the Centre really was all about it was too late. We knew too much to be allowed to quit. We resigned ourselves to making the best of a bad situation."

"You have a twin? Where is he now?"

Sydney sadly explained about the accident and how Jarod had tried to help his brother. He also told her he thought it was Raines who had ordered the sweepers to run them off the road that day, intending to kill or injure them both. He figured Raines thought that if one twin was turning against the Centre the other would follow suit.

Stacey put her arms around him. "I'm so sorry. I'll have to take a look at Halstrom's technique. Maybe I can figure out what went wrong."

"Thank you, Stacey"

She moved away from Sydney a bit. "Do you think they will want me to repeat any more of Jarod's sims? I'd really rather work on something new."

"I'll try to convince them."

"Thanks. See you in the morning!"


* * * *


Stacey spent most of the day in the library, reading book after book on psychic phenomena and on comas. Mid-afternoon, she head a noise. Looking up, she saw Angleo approaching her with a rose in his hands.

She had forgotten to scan the library for monitors, so Sydney, Miss Parker, and Broots were watching.

She got out of her chair to meet him. "Angelo! Where on earth did you find a rose around this place?"

Angelo giggled. As she took the `rose' she saw why.

"Why, it's not real. You---you made this didn't you." she said smiling broadly.

He nodded his head affirmatively.

"It's beautiful! You are so artistic! And so sweet!" she exclaimed as she threw her arms around him.

"Oh, my. Buzz boy has a girlfriend." Miss Parker announced.

"He's just being nice to someone new." Sydney quickly added, surprised at the surge of jealousy that had just risen in him.

"I wish I could have gotten you a real one, but as you know, the Centre isn't into gardening."

"For sure!"

Stacey glanced at her watch. "Oh, my goodness! I didn't realize how long I'd been in here. Come on--let's go see if Damien needs to go for a walk." She took Angelo's hand and exited the room.

"How sweet." Miss Parker said.

Sydney glared at her and huffed from the room.

"And look who's jealous!" Broots added, more than a bit surprised by the actions of both Angelo and Sydney.


* * * *


Carlos shadowed Angelo and Stacey to Casey's room. Sure enough, it was almost time for Damien's scheduled walk. Stacey told Carlos to tell the regular `walkers' that they could skip this one. She also convinced him that she would never run away from the Centre without her sister and that he needn't shadow her every step.

Angelo had never been around a dog before and stood looking warily at the beast.

"Angelo, this is Damien. Damien this is my friend Angelo." she said, patting Angelo's arm. Cautiously, Angelo knelt down and held his hand out. Damien sniffed and licked it. Then he slowly patted the animal's head. Damien looked into Angelo's eyes and suddenly put his paws on the big man's shoulders and started licking his face.

"I don't believe it! He really likes you! I haven't seen him react that way to anyone since he was a pup!"

Obviously enjoying the beast's attention, Angelo exclaimed "I like him too!"

The pair walked the dog in the Centre's courtyard, making small talk along the way. They decided to let the `doggie squad' do clean up duty.

"I'll take him back to Casey. Is our meeting still on for tonight?"

"Of course. I'll come by around nine-thirty."

They headed in opposite directions.

Stacey met Sydney in a corridor. Damien went up to lick his hand.

"He remembers me!"

"Of course he does, Sydney. He's not a dumb animal!"

"You were walking him all by yourself?"

"I convinced Carlos that I wasn't going to escape then talked Angelo into meeting a dog for the first time. He accompanied me."

"You should be careful of Angelo. No one know exactly what he's capable of." Sydney warned.

Stacey gave him a stern look. "I know what Angelo is. He's my friend! He's nice!"

Then she leaned toward the older man and put her lips to his ear, "I have a news flash for you Syd. He's also the best pretender the Center's ever had."

With that, she left, Damien trotting at her heels.

Sydney stood still for several minutes, trying to figure out what was bothering him more--the news about Angelo or his reaction to the sensation of her lips against his ear. What's wrong with me? All these sexual feeling for a seventeen year old? He couldn't forget the tingle down his spine when her lips had touched him. It was like a match lighting a flame that had started him burning all over. Burning for her.

Stacey was feeling confused too. She had read Sydney's thoughts about her. That's what I wanted. Or, I thought it was Now she thought about Angelo. What is it I'm feeling for him? I don't know what to think or do now. This was not a part of my plan!

She ate her dinner and got ready for bed, her mind still restless.


* * * *


Sydney smiled at the young blond woman sharing his bed. Stacey reached for his face, wanting another kiss, which he was glad to give. The tip of her tongue traced the shape of his lips before gently parting them and placing her tongue inside his mouth. He let his tongue wrestle with hers as his hands explored her body. When the kiss ended, his mouth moved to her breasts. With the tip of his tongue he teased her nipples to hardness and elicited a moan of delight. He continued nuzzling her breasts as his hand continued downward for further exploration of her body. Then he...

###BRRRRING### the alarm clock blared.

Damn!

"Damn!" he shouted into an empty bedroom.

Sydney sat on the edge of his bed, very hot, very bothered, and very erect. /How could on seventeen year old woman blow forty years of self control out of the water?/ he mused.

He recalled Miss Parker's jibe a few months past, asking how long it had been since he'd been with a woman, and his `animal emotions'.

How long indeed? Could it be---eight years? Yes. The last time had been at a psychologists conference in Reno. He and the bartender had taken a fancy to each other and ended up spending all five nights of the convention together. She was in her thirties, divorced and very sweet. He couldn't recall her name.

He stared down at his erection. "You, my friend, get a nice cold shower."

The shower was so cold that his teeth chattered. A line from a song he's heard on the radio popped into his head. Should I call out to angels, of just drink myself sober again? He sighed.. A legion of angels and a barrel of Jack Daniels wouldn't help me now.

He exited the shower, dressed slowly, and headed for the Centre--and Stacey.
Part Three of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Three of Seven
JasmineSky



Stacey was already in his office when he arrived.

"Good morning, Sydney!" she said cheerily.

"Good morning." he replied.

"Do I finally get to work of something new today?"

"Not quite yet. The Tower is still discussing--actually arguing about---which projects you should get. Everyone wants their pet contract to get priority. You get time off--until they make their decisions."

"Then let's go shopping!"

"Shopping?"

"Yeah--you know, go to a Mall and buy stuff."

"The nearest Mall is an hour away."

"So--let's get going."

Sydney wasn't sure how this idea would go over with the Tower.

Stacey got closer to him and looked into his eyes. "Please."

That did it. The Tower was busy. What they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

They stopped by Broot's area to tell him where they'd be.

"How cozy" came a response from the shadows.

"Miss Parker." Sydney said.

"Who gave you permission to go shopping?" she asked Sydney.

Stacey walked up to her. "We don't need permission to go shopping--or for anything else."

The two women stared at each for several seconds.

"Carlos will accompany you." Miss Parker finally said.

"Do you really think I would leave my sister here? Run off to some island with Sydney?"

"Interesting thought. I'm going to be sure of it."

"Fine. He can help carry packages."

"If you hear from Jarod..." Sydney began.

"You'll know it." Miss Parker concluded, then walked away.

"Have a good time." Broots wished them.

"Thank you." they said simultaneously.


* * * *


Carlos drove them to the nearest Mall in a company car. Stacey stopped at an ATM in the Mall's foyer. She withdrew a large stack of bills and put them in her `fanny pack' bag.

She headed for the nearest ladies boutique. Carlos and Sydney sat on a bench just outside the store.

"She some little lady." Carlos commented

"She is at that." Sydney agreed.

"I tell you...if she were a little older...or I were a little younger. . I'd be asking her out." Carlos admitted.

"Uh-huh." was all Sydney said in reply. And he's ten years younger than me!

Stacey emerged with two packages, which she handed to Carlos. She next went to a men's shop.

"Wonder what she wants in there?" Sydney asked.

"Maybe she's into men's wear or something. It's a trend."

"I sure hope not!"

She spent longer in the men's shop than she had the lady's shop. She emerged with an armload of packages.

"My goodness," joked Carlos, "Did you buy then out?"

"Not quite." she teased back.

The shopping excursion continued to a jewelry store, a florist shop, a card shop and a book shop. Each time the men waited on the nearest bench and Stacey always exited with more packages. By the time Stacey decided they should stop for lunch, both men had several bags on their arms and several packages in them. Only their heads poked up above the array of boxes. They all made a trip to the car to deposit their burdens before returning to the food court of the Mall.

"What will you gentlemen like to eat? My treat!"

"Thank you Stacey. I'll go for a pizza." Carlos quickly answered.

Sydney studied the array a few more moments. "I'll try the Chinese."

"Me too"

She gave Carlos the cash for his meal and pointed out the table she wanted, then headed for the Chinese kiosk with Sydney. They both ended up with eggroll, sweet and sour pork and Chinese tea. They joined Carlos at the designated table.

They ate their food in companionable silence. After bussing their trays, Stacey exclaimed, "Now for round two."

Both men stared at her, wide-eyed. She began to laugh.

"I'm teasing, fellows!" she giggled and clapped them both on the back.

"Whew" Carlos replied, "I was beginning to think the old quote should be `never underestimate the power of a shopping woman'.

"Maybe we could go to park before returning to the Centre," Stacey suggested.

"I know of one nearby." Carlos told them.

Sydney's phone rang. After talking a few minutes, he hung up and told them, "We have to get back to the Centre now. They want Stacey to start on an urgent project that just came in."

The trio headed for the car. As Carlos drove, Sydney told Stacey about the project he'd just been told about.

"A fifteen year old boy didn't come home from school three days ago. The police can find no trace of him. His father has hired the Centre to try to locate him."

"He could have just run away."

"That's one possibility"

"I'll do the best I can with the available facts."

"I know you will."

Stacey reached over and took Sydney's hand. She held it the rest of the way to the Centre.


* * * *


Broots had a box full of items waiting for Stacey to go through.

"The police reports, statements from the people who last saw him, statements from teachers and friends about his mental state. His diary. Photos. It's everything we have." he told her.

"Thank you, Broots."

Sydney carried the box to a workroom and Stacey quickly began going through it all. After reading everything, she went back to two items.

"What are those?" Sydney inquired.

"His diary and one of his friend's statements."

She read them over several times.

"I need to use a computer to run an Internet search." she told him.

Sydney took her to a setup. She quickly set the parameters and hit the search button. As the information came up she scanned and scrolled quickly. She paused several seconds on one item, then closed the program.

"I'm pretty sure where he went. What worries me is why he isn't back yet."

"Tell me what you've figured out." Sydney asked her, impressed with the speed of her discovery.

"In his diary he talks about playing a game called "Vampyre". It's a on-line role playing game. Casey and I played it a few times but didn't care for it, but lots of kids and young people get hooked on it. According to his best friend, Jordan was playing it for hours at a time. He talked of nothing else. His diary confirms this. On the day he disappeared, he was wearing all black."

"What does that signify?"

"It's the outfit of death--when a player decides to become a vampire."

"So--this kid thought he could really become a vampire?"

"Quite possibly. He had found the perfect place to try."

"Where?"

"Grace Falls, a town only forty miles from his hometown. It was in his local newspaper."

"What was?"

"An invitation to all would-be `vampyres' to meet at 492 Lexington Avenue for an initiation ceremony."

"We'd better send a team to Grace Falls to check it out."

"We're going too."

Sydney didn't question her. The team was quickly gathered and flown to the area in question.

The address given in the ad turned out to be an abandoned warehouse.

The sweepers quickly confirmed that nobody was in the building currently. They found several black candles and pentagrams on the floor. More disturbing, they also found traces of blood.

"Now we question the locals." Stacey stated.

They went to several shops and private homes before finding anyone who knew anything helpful.

"Yeah, I know them crazy kids that run around wearing all black. Some of `em even paint their faces white. Bunch of `em had a dentist sharpen their teeth. Crazy, the whole lot of `em" the elderly Mr. Johnson informed them.

"Do you know where they hang out?" Stacey wondered.

"The park at night. Don't know what they do during the day. You'd think a grown man would have to work."

"Grown man?"

"Yeah, their leader. Calls himself Jackyl. He lives two blocks from here."

Sydney, Stacey and two sweepers headed for the address the old man had given them, while the other sweepers staked out the park.

"Maybe you should stay back." Sydney told her as they approached the house.

"I don't need protecting. Besides, I can tell if he's lying."

A tall pale man answered the door.

"Are you `Jackyl'" asked Sydney.

"That is one of my names." he replied.

"Have you seen this boy?" Sydney continued, handing him the photo of Jordan.

"Maybe I have."

Stacey spoke up. "He's fifteen years old. He needs to be returned to his parents."

"Perhaps he doesn't want to return." Jackyl responded evenly.

The sweepers drew their guns at this remark.

"Ok, buster" said the lead sweeper, "Times up. Hand over the kid now."

"He isn't here."

"We'll see about that." the sweeper said and prepared to burst into the house for a search.

Wait," Stacey jumped in, "Just hold him still."

The sweepers complied and Stacey grabbed the man's hands.

"Where is he?" she demanded in a tone of voice that Sydney had never heard from her before.

At first the man smirked, then a surprised look came to his face. The surprise quickly turned to terror as he tried to squirm out of the sweeper's grip.

Sydney couldn't take his eyes off Stacey. She was staring at the man with an almost blank look on her face. Her eyes were glassy looking.

Finally , Jackyl yelled, "He's in the basement with my other followers."

The sweepers from the park had been summoned, and arrived in time to take the vampire leader into custody. The rest of the party rushed to the basement.

They opened the heavy red and black doors to a shocking sight. Ten youngsters sat or laid on marble slabs. They all had white painted faces, and all had cuts either on their necks or wrists. It was soon determined that they all `donated' blood to Jackyl, which he drank. He then gave them some of his blood--laced with hallucinogenic and sedative drugs. Later, he'd just given them the drugs.

Local police arrived and took the youngsters, ranging in age from twelve to eighteen, to the hospital. Jordan was among them.

As they police escorted Jackylal to the squad car he spoke to Stacy, "You must know my father."

"Intimately."

"His father?" Sydney asked, confused.

"Satan, Sydney, he was referring to Satan."

Sydney felt a chill go down his spine.

"Not really! I've never met the devil. Honest! This whole thing just has me in a weird mood.

"Oh," said Sydney, relieved.

Sydney called the Centre to let them know the situation. Mr. Parker was thrilled- -not so much for a lost youngster being found, but for Stacey's success and proof that she was going to be very useful.

It was late when the group returned and after a short debriefing, everyone headed for bed.

"Pleasant dreams, Sydney." Stacey wished him.

"You too." he replied, hoping his dreams wouldn't be a repeat of the previous night.


* * * *


Angelo lay quietly on his bed. He had missed Stacey while she'd been shopping and then solving a case for the Centre. He hadn't seen her since the night he'd shown her the `safe' spots in the building--the few places the monitor's eyes never reached. As they'd moved along the vents she'd told him jokes and he'd laughed more than he could ever remember. Her smile made him feel warm inside.

The squeak of Raines's tank cart brought him out of his reverie. The sound grated on his nerves. Wonder what my `master' wants--he rarely comes to my room himself.

Raines entered without knocking. Angelo sat up slowly.

"Angelo. I'm pleased at the way you've been handling your new assignment. Some of my assistants thought you couldn't do it, but I had confidence in you."

Angelo had gone into his `part sponge on idle/part idiot mode and just stared at Raines.

"You have been doing an excellent job of socializing with Stacey. Your `Jarod' personality seems to be working." he wheezed and inhaled deeply.

"Have you learned any more about the powers she possesses?"

Angelo shook his head negatively. As if I'd tell you if I did, you old goat.

"I want you to get her to trust you. Maintain contact with her at every opportunity." Raines commanded.

Angelo shook his head affirmatively. You can bet on that, but not for your benefit!

Raines seemed satisfied that his orders to find out Stacey's secrets were being followed by his `pet' savant.


* * * *


Broots was at his computer post. Miss Parker and Sydney remained standing as he turned in his seat to greet them.

"Good morning, how are the two of you?"

"Skip the chatter. My father told me you had something on Stacey and Casey.

"OK. First of all, I broke into the FBI and CIA's witness protection program files."

"My God, those are some of the most protected files on the planet!" Sydney exclaimed.

Broots looked a bit sheepish, but continued. "I found nothing that would indicate a family with twin girls was ever in either program."

"Interesting." Miss Parker commented.

"Also, a sweeper team obtained a sample of the remains of the couple that was killed in the car bombing."

"Stacey and Casey's parents." Sydney stated.

"NOT Stacey and Casey's parents, according to lab analysis."

"How was that determined? You have no sample of Stacey's blood! They couldn't have cross-matched samples!"

"Didn't need to. According to lab analysis, the couple in car were black. Both were positive for sickle cell anemia."

"What? Then why is the little brat lying? Where are her real parents?"

"I'm sure there is a good reason for everything Miss Parker" Sydney said, although he couldn't think of what it might be.

"Looks like you have your assignment for the day, Syd." Miss Parker said, "Find out what your little girlfriend has been hiding."

Sydney glared at her, but said nothing.

The pair started to leave and were almost out the door when Broots shouted "Wait! There's one more thing."

They walked back over to the computer wizard.

"I've installed another monitor in Stacey's room." Broots told them.

"What? You know she can detect those things! She has an agreement with Mr. Parker."

"She may not be able to detect this one. It's different from any other at the Centre. The location may be a factor in our favor, too."

"What location?" Sydney asked.

Broots looked very sheepish. "It's , uh, in the shower head."

"Damn!" Sydney cried. "I won't have it!"

"I-it was Mr. Raines that ordered it." Broots stammered.

"I don't have a problem with that. I just want to know what good it will do. We'll know when she takes her nightly shower that she's in her room. Big deal."

"The device had a very sensitive audio. When it's turned up, we should be able to hear and record sounds from the bedroom."

"I don't like it. No one should be watching her shower!" Sydney was very disturbed.

"Then maybe you can man the monitor at night. You would enjoy that, wouldn't you?" Miss Parker goaded him.

"Damn right I'll do the monitoring. I assure you I will have no enjoyment in invading Stacey's privacy." Sydney huffed and strode the exit.

"He'll love it." Miss Parker whispered to Broots before she left.

No one had noticed Angelo watching and listening from the vents.


* * * *


Stacey had been allowed to sleep late and was not given a new assignment partly due to her exemplary performance on her first case and partly to give Sydney time to question her.

Sydney was at his desk when Stacey walked in. "I seem to have overslept! I was tired after all that traveling yesterday. Do I have a new assignment?"

"Not yet. They still aren't sure which ones they want you to try."

"So, what are we doing today?"

"I thought we might get to know each other a little better. Would you like to visit my home?"

"I'd love to!"

Sydney drove her to his home in his own car.

It was a two story stone structure with old English styling.

"Charming." Stacey commented.

He lead her throughout the house, showing her the various rooms and pointing out various works of art and collector's items.

"Let's sit in the den for a while." he suggested.

She followed him into the room and sat next to him on the sofa.

Sydney tried to make small talk, but was having difficulty.

"Sydney. You may as well tell me what's bothering you."

He looked at her and started to speak, but changed his mind.

"Sydney! What on earth is it? I thought we were going to be honest with each other!"

"I thought that too! Now is seems that you're the one telling all the lies!" he finally spat out.

Stacey looked as thought she'd been slapped. She had never dreamed that Sydney would ever be this upset with her.

Her eyes were beginning to mist when she finally asked, "Why do you say that? Tell me what you think you have found out."

Sydney repeated what Broots had told him and Miss Parker that morning.

They both sat silently for several minutes. Stacey finally spoke.

"I never thought they would check that closely. My parents were very wealthy. They did work for the CIA for ten years but that was the problem. When my mother became pregnant they both wanted to quit, but the agency didn't want to let them go. They had no choice but to `disappear'. They had made a few good friends in high places and some friends in low places. Their friends helped erase their old identities and create new ones. It worked for almost eighteen years."

Sydney hadn't taken his eyes off her. "What happened then?"

"Someone tortured my father's best friend to death. We didn't know if it was CIA operatives finally catching up with them or perhaps an old enemy. What we did know was that their lives were in danger. They rounded up their network once more. A new hideaway was made for them in Europe."

"They didn't take you and Casey?"

"I didn't want to move to another country. Casey and I were almost eighteen. I felt we were ready to be on our own. It wasn't easy for them, but my parents agreed. They fortified the house and hired more guards to protect us in case anyone were to come after us."

"That doesn't explain the car bomb and the two bodies."

Stacey looked down. She sat silently for several minutes.

"My parents are good people, Sydney. They were put in a very bad position by their enemies. They did what they did to save their own lives and to protect my sister and me."

She looked very upset and Sydney lightened up.

He placed his hand gently on hers. "It's all right. Just tell me what happened."

"Their network located a couple in Haiti that were willing to sacrifice their own lives to give their three children a future. The deal was for them to die in the car . In exchange, the three children, all under age five, were adopted by a loving couple and had million dollar trust funds set up in their names. The couple were knocked out with drugs before the car exploded. They felt no pain. I just hope my parent's enemies believe they are dead. I would hate for the ruse to be in vain."

Sydney had taken his had away and was staring at her with a look of horror on his face.

Tears began streaming down her cheeks. "Please try to understand, Sydney! They thought they were doing the best thing under horrendous circumstances!"

She jumped off the couch and bolted out the door.

After a moment, Sydney ran after her. She had locked herself and his car and was sobbing heavily.

Sydney opened the door with his key and slid in next to her. He put his arms around her.

"Shhh. It's all right, Stacey. I don't think you or your family are horrible. It was a brilliant move under the circumstances."

She quieted, but held on to him for a few more minutes.

"Do you understand now why I didn't tell you the truth?"

"Yes. What about Casey? Does she know?"

"No. We couldn't tell her. Not in her state of mind. That's why she screamed when it happened."

"What had you planned to do before the Centre came into your life?"

"The same thing I still plan to do, only later. I intend to go to college and study psychology and psychic phenomena. I'd already located a university in California that offered what I wanted. I was going to get an apartment and hire someone to stay with Casey."

"Did you want to study those subjects to try and help her?"

"Not just her. Myself. I want to know why I can do the things I do. Maybe if I can learn that, I can figure out a way to help Casey."

"You know what's wrong with her, don't you?"

"I'm not sure. I think I do. She's a broadcast telepath. She `hears' everyone's thoughts. She never learned to block it totally. Sometimes she can block part of it, and that's when she is most normal. Other times, her mind is a cacophonous jumble of other people's thoughts."

"No wonder she's the way she is!"

"Don't tell anyone about her, Sydney. Please!"

"I won't. I will have to tell them about your parents."

"I know you have to. I understand."

The pair finally let go of each other.

"Let's get back." Sydney said.

They drove back to the Centre in silence, then headed in opposite directions when they got there.


* * * *


After reporting to Mr. Parker, Sydney got a sandwich and a large coffee and headed for his office. He pulled up all the files he had on psychic phenomena.

It was getting late, so he had Stacey's monitor transferred to his station.

Shortly before midnight, Sydney heard footsteps heading his way. He quickly turned off the shower monitor.

"Burning the midnight oil, Sydney?" Stacey asked as she entered.

"I guess I am at that. You're still up?"

"I'm just not sleepy tonight." she said as she began to massage his shoulders. "That feels wonderful."

"You shouldn't work so hard! You know what they say...all work and no play..."

Sydney wondered where she was leading when his computer alerted him to a message waiting. He hit the receive button and was startled to see Jarod's face looking at him."

"Don't look so shocked Sydney. I'm trying the two-way interface a different way. Maybe this time no one in tech will cut us off."

"You haven't contacted me in almost two months!"

"I've been busy. Too busy to have to run from you and Miss Parker."

Jarod suddenly noticed Stacey.

She moved to where her face was beside Sydney's.

"So--you're the famous Jarod. I'm Stacey Winslow. I'm working with Sydney now. You shouldn't worry him so much!"

"Nice to meet you too"

"I'll leave you two alone." she told Sydney and kissed him lightly on the cheek before exiting.

"Don't you think she's a little young for you, Sydney?"

"Jarod. She's a new test subject. Let's talk about you."

"I don't think she thinks of you in platonic terms. I saw the way she looked at you."

"I'll handle it."

"Yeah. You're so good at handling things. I want a picture of my father, Sydney. I'll give back some of the DSAs in exchange. That is, if you don't double cross me again."

"I didn't double cross you to start with. Miss Parker was responsible for that."

"If you say so."

"Please believe me, Jarod. I want you to find out the truth about your parents. I'll talk to the director again."

"Thank you Sydney. I'll be in touch"

The screen went blank.

Stacey burst into the room and rushed to the computer.

"Whaaa.." Sydney began, but stopped when three sweepers burst into the room. Mr. Raines and Angelo followed.

"You computer went off the main frame. Were you contacting Jarod secretly again?"

"It was me, Raines. I was experimenting. I thought I had it connected back. It won't happen again." Stacey told the gruff man.

"Is she telling the truth Angelo?"

Angelo knew she wasn't, but contorted his face a bit and shook his head yes.

Raines and company left as quickly as they had come in.

"Thank you." Sydney told Stacey.

"You're welcome. See you in the morning!"

"Goodnight."


* * * *


Sydney's mind was still occupied with thoughts of Jarod when he reactivated the monitor in Stacey's room.

All thoughts of Jarod, however, vanished in a flash as a nude Stacey stepped into the shower.

The monitor was working perfectly, giving a full length view of the stall--and its occupant. Sydney knew he shouldn't watch, but he couldn't tear himself away.

When she got the water adjusted to the temperature and flow level she wanted, Stacey turned away from the camera and washed off. Then, she turned toward it again and set the water to a level where it was barely flowing. Sydney had an almost unobstructed view of her body.

He gasped when she began to touch her breasts in a sensuous manner, teasing her nipples to hardness with her thumbs and caressing her own curves. Her hands slowly moved lower and she rubbed slow circles on her abdomen. Sydney was breathing hard now and could feel an erection starting. Still, he could not turn away.

Stacey was moaning now, as her hands dipped lower to play in her pubic hair. Slowly, she worked her fingers lower, rubbing the center of her pleasure. She began moaning louder and louder. By now, Sydney was rock hard and panting.

She reached for an object she had brought into the stall with her. Sydney could see that it was a small phallic shaped dildo. She began to insert it into her vagina , moving up and down onto it. Her chest was heaving as she thrust the toy harder and harder into herself.

Finally, she cried out as she reached orgasm. Syd was fully erect and miserable. He watched as Stacey regained control and exited the shower. He didn't move for a long time. He felt guilty for enjoying Stacey's private pleasuring. He also knew he dare not masturbate there in his office and forced his mind to focus on other subjects. Much later, his body followed suit.


* * * *


The next day, when Stacey entered the lab, Sydney didn't look directly at her.

"Good morning, Sydney. Everything all right?"

"Everything's fine. Here's today's assignment." He handed her the folder without looking into her eyes.

Stacey read the documents quickly, then walked to Sydney's desk and perched on the edge of it, facing him.

"I was thinking of you last night." she said, her voice lower pitched than usual. Sydney was almost speechless. "Last---night?"

"Yes. I waited until you were watching the shower monitor again. Then I started thinking about you---you and me."

"H--how did you know I was watching?"

Stacey jumped off the desk and glared at him.

"Is that all you care about Sydney? What `tricks' I can do? I was trying to tell you I want you---I want to be with you---I---love you!"

Tears were starting to flow down her cheeks as she turned to leave.

"I'm a woman, Sydney, not a lab rat!"

Part of Sydney wanted to run after her and another part wanted to run as far from her as he could possibly get. Australia maybe he mused thinking of an old poem. The first half won quickly and he trotted after her.

He had no idea where to look as he started down the corridor. Angelo was headed his way.

"She's in the stairwell on Sub-Level six" Angelo told him.

Sydney wondered how Angelo knew who he was looking for and how much he knew about what had happened.

"Thank you." was all he said.
Part Four of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Four of Seven
JasmineSky



Sydney found her sobbing, face to the wall.

"Stacey." he said softly.

She turned toward him.

"You're so young! You need to meet young men your age."

"I've met men my age. My parents had friends bring their kids over frequently. I've had two boyfriends. I've met lots of older men too."

"You deserve better than me."

"You're all I want."

"But Stacey! I'm old enough to be your....."

Her lips on his cut him off. "..to be my lover." she mumbled into his mouth.

Sydney could not hold back any longer. He took her into his arms and returned her kiss passionately. They kissed as though there was no tomorrow. Both of them finally had to stop and gasp air.

Sydney pulled her even closer. They resumed the kiss and she felt him begin to harden against her leg.

###Rrrrrrring#### Sydney's phone chimed.

Sydney was starting to hate anything and everything that rang.

He was breathless when he finally answered.

"Sydney."

"My, my. Aren't we breathless! Take up jogging. Sydney?" Miss Parker's voice came across the line.

"What do you want?" he spat out.

"Testy today, aren't you? Well, get your ass in gear. We've got a location on Jarod." she barked out then hung up.

Stacey looked at him with wide eyes.

"They've spotted Jarod. I have to leave immediately."

"Take me with you!"

"You know I can't do that!"

Stacey fought back tears. "Please be careful!"

"I will."

She walked with him to his office to retrieve the packed bag he kept in the ready there, then to the boarding area for the plane.

Miss Parker was waiting for him.

Sydney put his bag down and kissed Stacey's forehead before boarding.

"What was that all about?" Miss Parker wondered.

"None of you business."

"Humm. I guess there's more than one way to get a woman to talk." she continued.

A very heated glare from Sydney told her she'd better drop the subject.


* * * *


Left to her own devices, Stacey spent the next few days reading in the library, searching various topics on the Internet and spending time with Angelo and Casey.

She had surprised Angelo with an array of gifts after her shopping excursion. He had in turn surprised everyone by appearing the next day in blue jeans a Bulls T-shirt. He also had turned his `space' into a room with personality, placing the posters Stacey had given him all around it and making himself a music center with empty crates he had found. She had given him a radio/CD player and an array of CDs. At first he has protested all the gifts, saying he had nothing to give in return. She'd told him that all she needed in return was his friendship and that it made her happy to give the things to him.

Centre employees got used to seeing the pair eating lunch together. One day Casey had surprised everyone by joining them for lunch. She had been fairly lucid for two days, then went back into her own world.

Miss Parker and Sydney were gone six days on a wild goose chase--or a wild Jarod chase. He had left quite a maze of `breadcrumbs' for them this time around. Three red notebooks had been collected and numerous people interviewed. Still, it seemed they always arrived hours after he's left. Miss Parker had finally given up the search in disgust.

Sydney had hoped to see Stacey as soon as he returned, but it was two in the morning. He decided not to bother her.

The next morning, Carlos informed her that Sydney was back.

Stacey hurried to his office. They went into each others arms and kissed.

"I've missed you so much!" she murmured.

"I've missed you too." Sydney told her.

The squeak of an oxygen tank cart interrupted their reunion.

Sydney was seated at his desk and Stacey was in a nearby chair nearby when Raines entered.

"Here's your next assignment." he wheezed, handing her the folder.

He left without saying another word.

There were two copies of the case history, and she handed one to Sydney.

They began to read about parents' insistence that their son did not commit suicide although the police and coroner had ruled it as such. They had hired the Centre to see if they could prove the case one way or another.

Stacey began reading the other papers in the folder--police reports, coroner's reports, photos of the death scene, and interviews of family and friends.

Suddenly, she leaped out of the chair.

"Someone's in trouble, Sydney! Come on!"

"Who? Where?" "A child! Level twenty, I think!"

Sydney followed her into the elevator and they rode down to the level she had indicated.

As she got off, she paused for moment as if listening to something, then ran to the right. She opened a door at the end of the hallway. Sydney entered with her. He started to say there was no one there when she dropped to the floor and slid under the bed. She emerged with a small black girl who was trembling and whimpering.

"It's OK, honey, everything's going to be all right." Stacey told the frightened girl and she held her tightly and rocked her.

She looked at Sydney. "Her name is Tamar. Raine's did this! He showed her horrible things! God, Sydney! She's only five!"

Stacey put her hands on each side of Tamar's face. Both Stacey's eyes and her necklace began to glow. "I'll take those memories away forever." said a voice that wasn't quite Stacey's. Light cascaded over the child, who seemed instantly soothed.

Stacey turned toward Sydney, who backed away from her.

"Who--what--are you?"

"I'll tell you everything in time, Sydney, but now I have to make you forget."

Sydney was suddenly enveloped by the same light.

When the light dissipated, he remembered only what Stacey has said about Raines doing this to the child.

"He's a monster!"

"Yes. A monster that needs to be stopped."

Sydney was startled as the grate in Tamar's room suddenly popped open and Angelo dropped out of it.

He watched as Tamar jumped out of Stacey's arms into Angelo's .

Angelo bent his large frame into the small rocking chair in the girl's room. He began rocking her and humming softly.

"This isn't the first time Raines has given her nightmares." Stacey told him.

"Angelo is sensitive to strong emotion. He's comforted her before."

Before they left Stacey kissed Tamar on the top of the head and Angelo on the cheek.

When she and Sydney were on the elevator, she pressed button eight.

"Level eight?"

"That's were the directors office is. I'm going to see if she approves of Raines child abuse."

"You can't just burst into her office and start accusing Raines of things."

"Watch me."

The elevator opened and Stacey strode purposefully into Ms. Donavan's office. Miss Parker, Mr. Parker, and three other board members were with the director.

"We're in a meeting" she told Stacey firmly.

"This can't wait. I just got through comforting a five year old girl that Raines had terrorized. He forced her to watch film after film of dead people. Car accidents. Gunshot victims. War casualties. Two hours of nothing but carnage! How can you let him do that to an innocent child?"

None of them spoke for a while.

Ms. Donovan turned to Sydney, who was standing in the doorway.

"Is this true?"

"Apparently so. The girl, Tamar, was visibly terrorized and Stacey's gifts let her see what the girl was seeing. Tamar is Raines subject."

"I do not approve of this. This kind of project was not authorized by the Tower. Did you know about it, Randall?"

"Of course not!" Parker told his subordinate. "I would never allow child abuse."

Liar! Stacey's thought screamed, but she said nothing.

"I'll have the girl transferred to another doctor immediately." said one of the other board members.

"I'll speak to Raines personally." Mr. Parker told them.

Satisfied that Tamar was in no more danger for the moment, Stacey and Sydney returned to the Jerome Nissan suicide case.

After studying the information available for two hours, Stacey told Sydney she needed the death scene recreated in detail.

Sydney ordered a sim team to do as she asked. It would take them more than an hour to comply, giving Stacey and Sydney time to have a leisurely lunch together. They got sandwiches and drinks in the cafeteria and went to her room to eat them.

They sat at her desk and ate silently until lunch was done.

"It will still be over an hour before the team had the re-creation done." Sydney stated.

"We'll just have to keep busy somehow," Stacey whispered as she pulled him toward the bed.

Sydney's heart pounded as she pulled him down on top of her.

They began kissing passionately and pulling off their clothing. They hadn't gotten very far when there was loud knocking at the door.

Damn!! they thought in unison.

Quickly rearranging their clothing, they opened the door to find Miss Parker and Broots staring at them.

"Well? What do you want?" Stacey inquired.

"There's a problem with the computer system. Did you do something to it?" Miss Parker demanded.

"What makes you think I did something to it?"

"You made my monitors and locks stop working. I thought maybe you wanted the computers down. For some reason." Broots said.

"I didn't do anything to the precious computers. I will take a look at them. Maybe I can tell what's bugging them."

"Get Angelo, too. He's a whiz on computers!"

Broots went to fetch Angelo as the others went to see about the misbehaving computers.

It took only half an hour for Angelo to find a cable that had been chewed into--and a very crispy fried rat. An electrical team installed a new cable and an exterminator was called for the rodent problem.

By the time the computer system was humming again, the sim team had completed their re-creation. Stacey and Sydney returned to their task.


* * * *


"Are you ready to try to figure out if Jonathan Arnold was murdered or if he died from a self inflicted shot?" Sydney asked her.

"I'm pretty sure it was murder, but I need this re-creation to test my theory.

"Why do think it was murder?"

"He was doing well in life. He had a good job. He had caring parents, a devoted fianc‚e, and many friends, none of which noticed him having any problems. He'd just purchased a new car. He left no note of any kind. There is no indication whatsoever that this was a person about to kill himself."

"I hope for his parent's sake you're right." Stacey entered the death scene re-creation slowly , looking at everything. She went to bed where the `body' lay, the gun resting on the floor. She examined the wound on the body and studied the angle of the dropped gun.

"Sydney, help me out here."

"In what way?"

"Hand me the gun when I'm in position."

"Pardon me" she said to Carlos, who had been designated as the body, as she lay face up on top of him. Wish she were facing the other way! Sydney handed her the gun, after he made sure it wasn't loaded.

She took it in her left hand and aimed it at her head in an awkward manner, then let her arm drop. She got off the bed and contemplated something else.

After having Carlos get off the bed, she sat on it and went through the same motions with the gun before falling back on the pillow.

"The parents were correct, Sydney. This man was murdered. The killer or killers then tried to set it up to look like a suicide."

"How do you know?"

"Jonathan's diary indicates he was left handed. Yet the gun had supposedly fallen from his right hand and the wound is on the right."

"The angle of entry is also awkward. The x-rays showed it entered at a downward angle."

She picked up the gun and again demonstrated the angle needed to have produced the wound.

"The angle is very awkward, plus it was in him non-dominant hand. It would have been very difficult for him to have shot himself in that position."

"But not beyond all doubt?"

"Not quite. But the position the gun was found in eliminates all doubt."

"How so?"

"If he's shot himself while lying down the gun would have still been in his hand or fallen near the top of the bed when his hand fell back. If he's shot himself while sitting on the bed and then fallen back, the gun would have been flung further out in the floor, not dropped by the bed directly under his right hand. His arm wouldn't have been in that position either."

"Excellent work, Stacey."

"There's more. I need to do some research, but I think I may know why he was killed."

"Need a break?"

"No, lets get on with it!"

Sydney and Stacey went to the computer room.

"I could use Angelo's help. He's much quicker than I am"

Sydney sent for Angelo and watched Stacey get to work.

Broots wondered in about the time Angelo arrived.

"Angleo! What are you doing ou---I mean, what are you doing here?" Broots asked.

"Helping Stacey."

"Hey, Broots! You can help too!" Stacey called from her station.

She handed both of them a sheet of paper with what she was looking for.

After thirty minutes, she suggested they all take a break.

They all got up to stretch, and Angelo offered to go fetch drinks for everyone.

Broots asked if he could turn on his radio.

"Of course! You know how I love music!" Stacey replied.

The radio announcer said, "And this is our golden oldie for today!"

"Run-around Sue" began playing.

"One of my favorites!" Stacey squealed as she began doing the twist.

She grabbed Sydney's hand. "You were there in the fifties! You can do this!"

He hesitated only a moment before joining her. Broots was dancing by himself. Sydney and Stacey joined one hand and did a variation of the dance. Everyone was dancing and their smiles radiating when Miss Parker entered the room.

At first her jaw dropped. She started to say something, but didn't. She just stared at the group.

Angelo slipped into the room unnoticed and sat the drink tray down.

"Care to dance Miss P.?" Angelo whispered in her ear.

She jumped and let out a squeak.

Regaining her composure she fumed, "Where the hell did you come from Buzz boy?"

"I come and go as I please. And the name is Angelo. Mr. Angelo to you!"

She looked as if she might explode, but said nothing, and left the room. Angelo thought he heard her mutter something about herself being the only sane one of the bunch.

The radio had played "Rockin' Robin" next and the three continued to dance. Stacey tried to coax Angelo into dancing, but he declined.

Two sweepers were observing from above.

"Never thought I'd see old man Green acting like that!"

"Never thought I'd see a lady like that Stacey."

"Look at `em! If smile-power could be measured in watts, that bunch could light up the whole city!"

"Whole city, hell! They'd light the whole state!" Both men laughed as they watched the happy quartet below.


* * * *


Broots turned the radio off and Angelo passed out the drinks. When everyone had finished their refreshment, they went back to their computers.

Ten minutes later Stacey got up again.

"I think I may need another break. I feel..."

She didn't get her sentence finished before she collapsed. She would have crashed to the floor if Sydney hadn't moved so fast. He caught her before she hit.

Angelo took her limp form from Sydney and took off running to the clinic. Broots and Sydney ran after them. The observers notified the clinic.

Angelo placed her gently on the nearest bed. Doctors, nurses, and technicians were quickly examining her.

The three men stood there with looks of shock on their faces. The shock turned to total alarm when Casey's guard came rushing in with her inert body in his arms. He put her on the bed next to Stacey's. Part of the team working on Stacey quickly changed over to her twin's care.

One doctor, Dr. Hawn, finally approached the worried group. "Both girls are stable but unconscious. Their vital signs are very weak, but they aren't fluctuating."

"What's wrong with them?" Sydney demanded.

"I have no idea. I've ordered blood tests to see if that might offer some clues."

"What can you do for them?"

"Right now, nothing. They're breathing on their own. Their hearts are beating. I just can't get them to come around. We'll have to wait on the test."

Sydney took a chair and moved to Stacey's bedside. He reached through the array of monitors hooked up to her and took her hand in his.

Angelo assumed a similar post by Casey's bed. Broots left to tell Miss Parker and Carlos.

Sydney kissed her hand. My God, Stacey! Don't leave me now! He still had his lips on her hand when Miss Parker rushed in. She went to Sydney and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry. Broots told me what happened."

"Thanks for your concern."

"He said they're doing blood tests. Could they possibly have both been poisoned?"

Sydney hadn't thought of that.

"Damn! You're right! That could explain it." He thought for a minute.

"Raines was mad as hell when Stacey told the board what he's been doing to Tamar."

Miss Parker's eyes narrowed. "If he poisoned these girls I'll kill the bastard!"

"Only if you get there before I do." Sydney vowed.

Everyone waited for the doctor's reports in silence.

Angelo and Sydney rose when Dr. Hawn entered the clinic.

"I can't tell you any more than I did before. The blood tests are normal. I'm ordering a brain scan."

The girls were taken to the EEG test area and tested.

The results were normal.

Back in the regular clinic room, Sydney and Angelo resumed their vigils. Carlos had come in while they were in the EEG waiting area.

"I came as soon as I heard! What's wrong with my little lady?" "No one seems to know." Sydney told him sadly.

Clinic personnel continued to hover over the patients.

Almost four hours later, the monitors started beeping. Sydney jumped up with alarm.

"What's happening?" he cried.

Dr. Hawn ran from one girl's bed to the other.

For the first time, he had a smile on his face. "They're starting to come around!"

Sydney quickly returned to her side. Her eyes began to flutter, then finally opened.

She reached for Sydney and he put his arms around her.

Casey had reached for Angelo when she came to, and he now held her.

"What happened?" Stacey finally asked.

Sydney told her all he knew.

"I think I know what it was. It's happened before."

"What!?"

"When both of us expend a lot of energy without getting enough put back in, we collapse. It scared my parents half to death the first time it happened. The doctors don't have a name for it."

"Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"It hadn't happened in years! I'd forgotten about it!"

"I was so worried about you!"

"I'm sorry to have worried you. I should have been more careful! Casey was upset over Tamar, also. Her guard found her huddled in her closet. I think she had nightmares last night. I didn't sleep well either and I guess neither one of us had been eating enough lately. I'm make sure it doesn't happen again."

"I'm just glad you're all right." Sydney said, kissing her lightly on the lips.

Dr. Hawn cleared his throat. "I'd like both young ladies taken back to their rooms for a hearty dinner and then rest."

"We'll see to it." Sydney said, looking at Angelo and Casey.

The men saw to it that the ladies ate a good meal and stayed by their sides until they were asleep.

Sydney called both of the night guards aside. "I want you to check on them every thirty minutes. Alert me if there is any change at all. I'll be staying in my office tonight." The guards assured him they would do so.

Before Sydney headed to his office, he approached Angelo.

"Thank you for your help---with everything."

"You're welcome Sydney. I'd do anything for Stacey."

Sydney walked slowly to his office, pondering Angelo's words.

Angleo went to the nearest vent, hopped in, and made his way to Stacey's room. He made himself as comfortable as possible. He intended to watch her all night himself. Be well, my sweet lady. I couldn't hold your hand like Sydney did, but I wanted to! I think I love you, Stacey!

He wondered it he'd ever be able to tell her that.


* * * *


In the following days, Sydney and Angelo kept a very close watch on Stacey and Casey. They made sure the young women ate properly and rested sufficiently. Damien, who had paced and whimpered the whole time his mistresses were unconscious stayed at Casey's heels.

Stacey was beginning to feel a little embarrassed at all the attention and pampering. Sydney and Angelo had both walked her to the cafeteria for lunch one day. Each had made nutritious suggestions in the line and Sydney had insisted on carrying her tray.

"I'm really fine, now! You two can stop making such a fuss! Next thing I know I'll be reclining on a couch with one of you fanning me and the other peeling grapes!"

Sydney laughed at her joke, but Angelo didn't get it.

"It's from an old movie!" she informed him.

As per their agreement, both girls had gone riding on their horses every Saturday. Stacey informed everyone that this Saturday would be no different.

"Are you sure you're up to it?" Sydney asked.

"Absolutely. Why don't you come along?"

Sydney agreed, not knowing she had asked Angelo along also.


* * * *


The men stared at each other when they arrived at the designated meeting area. Angelo was wearing blue jeans, a long sleeve white shirt, and riding boots.

"Aren't you going to ride, Sydney?"

"Um, no. Not today. I'll just watch."

Stacey, Casey and their guards arrived shortly.

"Let's go!" Stacey told her entourage.


* * * *


The stables were a two hour drive from the Centre, but the scenery was pleasant and Stacey had brought a CD player.

The grooms had the girls' horses ready when they arrived.

"Necromancer and Daedulus. Those are unusual names for horses. How did you select them?" Sydney wanted to know?

"Necromancer is mine. I named him for the horse in Firestarter. I really love that movie! Charlie's my hero!"

"Charlie?"

"She's a little kid with special skills that gets kidnapped by a corporation not unlike the Centre. In the end, she burns it to the ground--employees included."

"Sounds like I need to check it out."

"Daedulus is Casey's. That was the name of her favorite character on Kindred: The Embraced, a vampire series she liked. I was more into Forever Knight vampires."

"You two are into some pretty weird entertainment."

"Weird is good. Creepy is even better!"

Their conversation was cut short by the whinny of an impatient steed.

"See you later, guys! You ride him next, Angelo!"


* * * *


Although Stacey had her hair in a long braid down the back, it flew out behind her as she rode.

Beautiful! was Sydney's analysis.

She rode for twenty minutes before returning for Angelo's first riding lesson.

"Angelo, come meet Necromancer."

Angelo gulped. Horses had turned out to be much larger in real life than they appeared in pictures.

Stacey took his hands and placed them on either side of the stallion's head, then placed her hands over his.

"Necromancer this is Angelo. Be gentle with him." she said.

The horse nikkered softly. When they removed their hands, he gave one of Angelo's hands a lick.

A groom brought up another saddled horse. "I'm going to ride Mountain Spring here. I'll be right beside you. Do you know how to get on him?"

"I think so. I watched you and Casey mount."

It took him only two tries to swing himself into Necromancer's saddle. Stacey took them several laps around the ring to get him used to the feel of riding. They took too more laps at a trot.

"Ready to try the open fields and trails?"

"Ready as I ever will be--just don't go too fast!"

"Don't worry. He'll sense it if you get tense and slow down."

"How will he know?"

"All horses are psychic!"

"Oh."

They took off and soon Angelo was having such a good time he almost forgot there was a huge animal under him. He decided to let the beast gallop in a large open area. Stacey stayed right at his side in case he got into trouble, but everything went well. After half an hour, the two returned, riding side by side and laughing.

Sydney couldn't squelch the jealousy welling up in him. He had wanted nothing more than to get Stacey alone and make love to her. Two things held him back: the fear of stressing her health and the fact that she was two weeks shy of her eighteenth birthday. He told her his concerns.

She told him her health was fine and asked what difference a few days made.

He had no good answers, but she agreed to respect his wishes. Still, they found many opportunities to share a kiss or embrace. He also wanted to tell her he loved her, but the words just wouldn't come.

He looked again at her and Angelo smiling into each other's face. He was pretty sure that Angelo was in love with her and he feared what she might be feeling for him. He vowed then and there to make love to her at the first opportunity and to then declare his love for her.

"Ready to go back Sydney?" Stacey's voice brought him back to the present.

"Sure."

The bunch rode back listening to the radio.

"Angelo, Sydney, Casey--I want all of you in my room at eight o'clock tonight for a surprise."

They all agreed.

At eight o'clock sharp Sydney knocked on her door.

"It's open!"

He entered to find Stacey, Angelo, and Casey already piled on her bed with bowls of popcorn and drinks on the side table.

She patted the spot at her side. "Come on!" Sydney fit in easily on her king size bed.

"Tonight's feature is Firestarter." She started the video. The room was quiet except for popcorn crunching. Near the end, when Charlie was burning everything down, Stacey softly cheered, "Go, Charlie, go!"

When the credits began to roll, Sydney finally commented.

"Whew! That's some movie!"

"Did that institution remind you of anywhere?"

"The Centre."

"Too bad we don't have a Charlie here."

"Would you really want to see this place destroyed--and everyone in it?"

"No, not everyone in it. Only the guilty should pay."

Syd decide not to pursue the subject.

"Is there a second feature?"

"Yes. After that, I thought a comedy would be in order. She showed Disney's The Ugly Dachshund. Angelo laughed so hard at spots that his sides ached. Sydney laughed heartily at times also.

After the movie was over Stacey thanked them all for coming and said good-night.
Part Five of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Five of Seven
JasmineSky




Stacey was put on routine assignments for three weeks at the insistence of Sydney and, oddly enough, Mr. Raines.

Sydney insisted due to concerns for her health. Raines, however, didn't want her ingratiating herself to the Centre any further. He had plans for her and her sister.

Stacey had wanted to resume the Jonathan Arnold case, but Sydney informed her that Broots and Angelo had followed up on her ideas. Indeed, Jonathan's hobby as a ham radio operator seemed to be the cause of his murder. He had apparently heard corrupt police officers planning a drug pickup. That was why the police had not given an accurate report. The proper authorities had been contacted.

Today Stacey wanted to investigate Halstrom's technique. Broots and Angelo were helping on computer. They helped her get several simulations running. She went to a desk with a legal pad and started making diagrams of the procedure. After a few minutes she slammed the pad down.

"This should work! I can't figure out why is doesn't!" she yelled.

Sydney went to her quickly. "It's all right. If Jarod couldn't figure it out..."

"Damn Jarod! I should be able to do this!" she snapped.

Suddenly, she was crying. Sydney took her in his arms. "What's the matter, Stacey?"

She pushed him away. "Nothing. I'm fine. Anyone know where to get a chocolate bar and Coke around here?"

"I'll be right back." Angelo said and hurried off. He too was concerned at Stacey's erratic behavior.

Angelo was back in under five minutes.

Stacey gobbled the chocolate down and stated sipping the cola. She stiffened a bit and clutched her abdomen.

Both men were at her side in a heartbeat.

"Stacey, you're not well!"

"Oh, for the sake of Pete, you guys! It's just PMS! Even geniuses get it! Most months I don't even know it, but due to the tensions of late, this months a hum- dinger! The Midol I took this morning isn't fazing it."

"Oh. Sorry for being nosy." Sydney said and walked away, a bit embarrassed.

Angelo looked confused. "P-M-S?"

She spoke quietly to him.

"You DO know the facts of life--men and women? sex?"

"I've read a few manuals" And caught a few movies on Mr. Raines secret television!

She then explained about PMS.

Angelo seemed satisfied with the explanation and started to walk away. Then he turned back to her and said loud enough for Sydney and Broots to hear.

"So---a woman with PMS is easily irritated, generally bitchy and grumpy?"

"You've got the picture!"

"Poor Miss Parker. She must have it all the time."

Stacey and the two other men laughed out loud.

"Angelo! You have a wicked sense of humor!" Stacey told him.

Angelo beamed. "I do , don't I!"


* * * *


The next weeks passed quickly. The only unusual incident was Jarod's call to Sydney at his office one afternoon. Jarod had called to thank him for the photo of his father. Sydney had told him the Tower had refused the request and he had sent nothing.

"Then who did?"

"You seem to have an ally in the Centre that no one knows about. I wish I knew who it was."

"You do know me, Sydney." came a voice from the shadows.

"Angelo?!?" Sydney exclaimed.

"Angelo? Put him on the phone!"

"Hello Jarod"

"Angelo! How are you old pal! You're the one who's been helping me! I should have known! Words can never express my gratitude!"

"Just find your parents, Jarod."

"I won't ever give up till I do!"

Jarod hung up, remembering his strange friend with the heart of gold.

"I too am in your debt, Angelo. I misjudged you years ago. I'm sorry."

"No, Sydney, you tried to help me. I know I had problems when I was younger. You did the best you could."

"I appreciate your understanding--and what you've done for Jarod."

One other incident had caused a bit of a stir. A delivery truck from a florist drove up to the Centre and walked right in to the main desk. He had deliveries for Dr. Green, Mr. Angelo, Miss Parker, Mr. Broots and Mr. Carlos Giovani.

After some concern over security, the flowers were accepted. Junior personnel were sent to take the roses (one dozen each) to Sydney and Angelo. The others received a single rose in a vase. The notes on all of them read the same. "Thank you for your concern these past weeks. Stacey." Only she had added one line to Sydney's. "I love you."


* * * *


Near the end of Stacey's `light duty' period, Mr. Parker called her to his office.

"I need to ask a favor of you."

"Ask."

"The Centre will be having a dance at the end of the week. I want you to help make it a success."

"A dance? HERE?"

"There's a first time for everything. We had two potential new clients. They are very wealthy and very powerful. Their wives insist they visit the Centre and meet everyone in a social context before they negotiate any contracts. I had no choice but to agree. I've invited several personal friends and their spouses, along with several former clients. There should be plenty of people."

"What is it you want me to do?"

"Help the staff organize it and be there to charm the clients. Make sure everything runs smoothly."

"That's a pretty tall order."

"Name your price."

"You know I don't care about money. But I do have some conditions in mind."

He listened and agreed to her conditions and vowed not to trick her any more.

"We'll see."

They shook hands and Stacey went to begin her new assignment. She had one week to set up a dance.

Sydney and Angelo barely saw her in the next few days. A flurry of plans was set in motion. Casey even came out of it long enough to help for a day. Stacey asked Sydney if he was going to escort her.

"As much as I'd like to, I don't think this is the proper time to appear in public as a couple."

"All right, but you'd better save a few dances for me!"

"You know I will."

Stacey made her way to Angelo's room. She knocked, but his CD player was so loud he didn't hear her. She entered cautiously.

Angelo was dancing with a broom in the center of the room. He dropped it when he saw her.

He ran to turn the music down.

"Practicing for tomorrow night?"

"In case I get to go."

"That's why I came here. I wanted to ask you to be my escort."

"Y--yes! I'd love to!"

"You'll have to share the duty. I've asked someone else, too."

"Sydney."

"No! Carlos. He'll have to be there anyway. I'll only dance a few numbers with him."

"OK"

"Want to practice with a real partner?" she said, going to turn up the music.

Next to the player, something caught her eye. A sketch-pad Angelo had been drawing in. A picture of her face was on top.

"This is excellent!" she exclaimed . She flipped the page before Angelo could ask her not to.

The next page was poem. A love poem to her from Angelo.

"Stacey--I never meant for you to see that."

Her eyes were misting.

"It's beautiful, Angelo."

She wrapped her arms around him.

He couldn't resist pulling her closer and pressing his lips to hers. She kissed back for a few seconds before pulling away. Tears steamed down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry!"

"No, don't be. You haven't done anything wrong. It's me that's causing the problem. I know I love Sydney, but I have feelings for you too! I'm very confused right now. If you don't want to go to the dance with me I'll understand."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, Stacey."

"Good. Wear the outfit I gave you earlier."

"I'll pick you up at your door a seven-thirty tomorrow."

"Wonderful! See you then!"

Stacey pondered her feeling for Angelo as she make her way to the kitchen. She was certain she was in love with Sydney, yet Angelo had an effect on her too. Is it really possible to love two people at the same time? What am I going to do? She tried not to think about either of them as she double checked the menu.


* * * *


The hour of the dance party approached. Last minute details were checked and rechecked.

At the appointed time, Angelo and Carlos arrived at Stacey's door. The men stared at each other a moment.

Angelo was wearing a long sleeve black silk shirt, with a deep cut neck revealing a good portion of his chest and the heavy gold chain Stacey had given him. His pants were black leather. A gold earring completed the outfit.

Carlos had chosen a similar outfit---in white. Only his pants were linen and his chain was silver.

"One of us must be the negative." Carlos joked.

Stacey came out and silenced both of them. She wore a very short, very low cut red dress. It fit her top like a glove, the tapered to a full skirt that fell several inches above her knees. French braids on the sides of her head were pulled to the back and combined into one braid down the back. Her silver necklace and earrings sparkled. Though still subtle, her face had more make-up than usual.

"Shall we go? I need to be there to greet guests!"

She took Angelo's left arm and Carlos's right.

Several people were already there. Mr. Parker, Mr. Raines, Sydney, Miss Parker and Mr. Broots stood at one side, drinks in their hands.

On the opposite side, several guest mingled.

The room fell silent as the newly arrived trio stood in the doorway.

Sydney wasn't sure which sight was causing the most stir---Stacey's radiance, the sight of Angelo dressed to the nines, or the fact that she was with two men. He did know he couldn't take his eyes off her.

"You two join the others. I need to check on some things."

She make her way to where the band was setting up. She looked at the logo on their equipment.

"Hey! You all aren't the band I contacted for!"

"Uh, yeah." said the apparent leader. "The `Chameleons' lead singer got laryngitis at the last minute. They hired us to do the gig.

"Will you be doing the same program?"

"Nope. But don't worry! We've done hundreds of these things! The people get so drunk they won't care what's playin'"

"We'll see about that." she told the leader of `The Blue Funks'.

The entertainment agency I contracted with is going to get a very large piece of my mind tomorrow morning.

She looked over the bar and inspected the food table. At least that was as planned.

Mr. Parker motioned her over. She told him about the band and he pointed out the two clients he wanted her to concentrate on. One was an Arab sheik. The other was American. Two other potential clients had been added to the list. They hadn't arrived yet.

The band was soon ready to began playing. They started out with a big band tune. Everyone stood looking at them.

Stacey went to the door and told a guard something. He summoned another, who hustled off somewhere.

In six minutes, he came back with Casey in tow. She had on clean blue jeans and a lacy gold top, her hair neatly brushed.

Sydney spotted her and smiled, waving. She smiled and waved back.

Stacey talked to her for a few minutes, then she began writing on a notepad her sister had handed her.

Stacey thanked her and headed for the stage to confer with the band leader.

He had his group play a slow fifties tune while he spoke with her.

"These are the songs you will play."

"But, honey, we don't know those songs!"

She grabbed his hand and stared into his eyes. "You do now." A slight glow enveloped the leader and his band. They looked a little confused. "You know all these songs now and you have always known them. You will not remember this conversation." The glow ended.

"You were saying?"

"Oh, sure, sweetie. We'll play these songs!"

Casey had `read' the crowd for her twin. The older clients had brought younger family members. Casey had found a wide range of musical tastes and written down two dozen songs that more that a few liked and the favorite songs of both potential clients.

The next song was `Ramblin' Man'. The American client took to the floor immediately, followed by three other couples. Stacey sighed in relief.

"Ready for our first dance?" she asked Angelo. A thirtyish woman had already taken up with Carlos.

Angelo and Stacey make their way to the dance floor. They danced well together.

For the next number, the lights were dimmed. The band played Benny Mardones' `Into the Night' .

Angelo took Stacey into his arms. Sydney stared at them.

"You're going to stare a hole through them." Miss Parker said.

"Don't start, Parker."

"Why don't you cut in? Nobody will care if you dance with her." she told him and moved to ask a former client to dance with her.

A latecomer and his wife entered the room. The woman took one look at Angelo and said loudly, "What is that? Shouldn't it be locked up?"

It took Angelo only a second to realize she was referring to him. He bolted from the room. Stacey silently communicated something to her sister, who took off after Angelo. She then turned toward the offending woman.

Sydney started in Stacey's direction.

Under Stacey's glare, the woman started to cough. Soon, she was coughing so violently she could barely catch her breath. She wretched and vomited, making quite a spectacle of herself. Sydney touched Stacey's arm. Her eyes as she whirled around frightened him. The woman recovered as suddenly as she had become ill. Now it was her turn to bold from the room.

Stacey's eyes were soft as she spoke to Sydney. " She shouldn't have hurt Angelo's feelings!"

"Dance with me." was all Sydney said.

The band had ignored both little drama and was now playing Ace of Base's `Beautiful Life'. Almost everyone was on the dance floor now. Stacey looked lovingly into Sydney's eyes. He returned the sentiment.

The lights dimmed again for Peter Cetera's `I Want to Take Forever Tonight'. Sydney pulled his lady close. Halfway through the song, she pulled him closer for a kiss.

"Not here." he whispered in her ear.

She looked hurt, but kissed his cheek anyway.

After the song ended, they made their way back to the Centre group.

Miss Parker walked up to her. "I trust you've been eating properly and getting enough rest?"

"Why, Monica! I never knew you were the mother hen type!"

Parker sputtered, "H-how did you know my name?"

"I have my ways."

Sydney handed Stacey a drink. She took a sip. "What is this?"

"Club soda."

"Get me some champagne!"

Sydney reluctantly went to exchange the drink.

When he returned they stood sipping their drinks in silence.

Several couples were continuing to dance.

Stacey looked at the entrance. "See you later." She make her way to where Casey had Angelo by the hand. Angelo had added a black silk scarf to his outfit---tied over his head pirate style.

"You look dashing! Let's dance some more."

She quickly kissed her twin before returning to the dance floor with Angelo. Sydney moved across the floor and asked Casey if she cared to dance. She smiled but declined and moved to the shadows.

A fortyish brunette had zeroed in on Sydney.

She grabbed his arm and practically insisted that they dance.

The song now playing was `Slow Dancing'.

When Stacey glanced their way, the aggressive female had pulled a reluctant Sydney into a kiss. Sydney pushed her away and moved back to where Broots was standing. He watched as Stacey and Angelo danced. They were very close and looking into each other's eyes.

Angelo bent to whisper in her ear. "It's OK if you want to make him jealous."

"I'd never use you like that!" she whispered back and tilted her head upward. Angelo clutched her tighter as their lips met. Gentle at first, the kiss quickly became passionate. If looks could kill, Angelo would have been struck dead by Sydney's glare.

The number ended and the lights went back up. The band played several popular numbers that the younger guests danced to.

"I need to mingle with the clients." she told her date. "Will you be all right?"

"I'll be fine. If that lady comes back I'll ask her to dance and scare her off permanently!"

Stacey began introducing herself to the potential clients and `reading' their thought as she shook their hands. She was visibly upset over what she sensed form the sheik. She seemed sympathetic to the American and to the two other men Mr. Parker had pointed out to her.

She made her way back to the group of Centre personnel. Sydney glared at her and she looked back at him with a look of surprise.

The sheik approached Mr. Parker. They had talked only a few minutes when Parker slapped him. The Arab and his entourage huffed from the room.

Sydney and Miss Parker hurried up to her father.

"What on earth was that all about?" she asked.

"He offered the Centre eight million dollars. I declined his offer."

"He offered eight million? for what?" Sydney inquired.

"For Stacey."

"Oh!" Miss Parker and Sydney said in unison.

They made their way back to the bar.

Stacey made her way back to Mr. Parker. She told him the other clients seemed to have legitimate needs that the Centre could meet. He thanked her and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

The night had been a success for most parties. The band announced it was time for their closing numbers--two tunes for all the lovers.

Stacey looked toward Sydney, who suddenly seem to find the ceiling quite interesting.

"Sydney." It was Angelo. Sydney took a deep breath before facing him.

"She loves you, Sydney. Don't blame her for what happened. You know how she `reads' people. She picked up on my feelings and I took advantage of it. Be angry with me if you like, but don't punish her!"

Angelo knew it wasn't true, but he would do anything to keep hurt away from the woman he loved.

Sydney thought a moment, then headed for her.

"Did you save the last dance for me?" he asked.

"You bet."

They went to the dance floor as `I Want to Know Where Love Is' played. They danced close, both arms around each other. The band went into the final number, `Everything I Do, I Do For You."

This time, when Stacey indicated she wanted a kiss from Sydney he didn't hesitate. He didn't care if it was broadcast on the six o'clock news. He kissed her with all the passion he felt for her. Even Miss Parker was surprised at this. Angelo had know it was coming and had made a hasty exit.

As the band packed up, the party goers began to thank their host and depart. Sydney walked Stacey back to her room.

"I made some arrangement with Parker for helping with the party."

"What kind of arrangements?"

"First of all we both get the day off tomorrow."

"And----you and I get to go on a picnic. Just the two of us."

"Sounds wonderful."

"We'll leave here at ten-thirty."

"I'll be ready."

Stacey didn't trust Raines at all anymore, so she left Angelo and Carlos along with Casey's regular guard to safeguard her sister.

She and Sydney left in his car at the designated time.

Stacey directed him to a dirt road five miles from the Centre. It led to an isolated clearing. They began to unpack their picnic paraphernalia.

Stacey laid a large quilted comforter on the ground while Sydney unpacked the basket. There was a bottle of wine, French bread, a variety of herb butters and cold cuts. There were glasses, plates and utensils.

"Almost like the poem."

"Yes. A jug of wine, a loaf of bread...."

"And thee." Sydney finished, and leaned over to kiss her.

"They ate the simple lunch and sipped on the wine.

When everything had been put up, Stacey suggested they look at the clouds. Sydney smiled and agreed.

Stacey got out her CD player and started it. Soft, romantic tunes began to play.

Sydney took off his jacket and tie and lay on the blanket.

Stacey lay with her head on his shoulder.

"That one looks like Pegasus" she said pointing.

"Um. Yes."

Stacey rolled over and pressed her lips against his. He returned the kiss. Slowly, their passion rose. Sydney shifted their position to where he could began undoing her blouse. She began unbuttoning his shirt. All her buttons were undone and he pulled the garment aside. Her bra was a front hook one, and he no trouble undoing it. She shook out of the clothing and peeled his shirt off him. He bent his lips to her breasts and began kissing and licking them. She arched toward him, encouraging him. He gently circled her nipples with his tongue and was thrilled when the buds turned hard at his touch. He began to kiss and lick lower, one hand still fondling her breasts, as she began to unfasten his belt and unzip his pants. She massaged his erection through the fabric at first.

Breathing heavily, he managed to unzip her pants. He was pleasantly surprised to find she wasn't wearing underwear. His hand dipped to her pubic region. She moaned as he began to explore her most private parts. She stopped him only to get him the rest of the way out of his pants. She quickly squirmed out of hers also. She now lay flat on her back, her chest heaving. Sydney stared at her for a moment, thinking she was the most beautiful woman on the face of the earth and that he was the world's most fortunate man.

He kissed her again, then moved downward quickly, trying to caress and kiss and lick everywhere.

His hand gently pushed her thighs apart as he began to lick her. She gasped as his tongue found her clit. The tip of his tongue danced around the sensitive organ until she was writhing and moaning loudly. She reached for his penis and began stroking it.
Part Six of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Six of Seven
JasmineSky



Sydney moaned, her touch electrifying him. His organ quickly reached it's full length and full hardness. Stacey was a bit concerned at the huge size of it, but quickly decided she could handle it.

"Sydney. Make love to me. Now."

"It will hurt a little at first."

"I don't care!"

Sydney positioned himself on top of her, careful to support his weight with his arm. He felt as thought his heart would beat out of his chest.

He entered her as slowly and gently as humanly possible. She gasped at the pain but it quickly passed. He felt wonderful inside her. She began to move against him and he began thrusting faster and harder. She was soon meeting his thrusts, arching her back and gripping his body with her legs. She was so hot and tight he knew he wouldn't last long.

Stacey's eyes widened and he drove into her even faster. She came with a scream , then sighed his name. This was enough to send him over the edge. Her name was his cry of passion. He rolled to his side and pulled her along with him. They were face to face, their bodies still entwined.

Tears were welling in Stacey's eyes. He was alarmed at first, then she whispered, "I love you Sydney. I love you!"

He kissed the tears. "I love you too, Stacey."

They lay together silently for some time. When their breathing had returned to normal, Stacey gently pushed Sydney onto his back. She began to lay a trail of licks and kissed down his body, just as he had done to hers previously. His penis began to harden as he anticipated her mouth on him.

Suddenly she sat up, her eyes full of alarm.

"Stacey!"

"It's Casey! Raines is hurting her!" she screamed, grabbing her clothes.

"My God!"

Stacey pulled on her pants and shirt and headed for the car. Sydney got his pants up and grabbed his shirt, socks and shoes. Everything else was left laying.

"I'll drive." Stacey stated.

Sydney didn't question it, as she was more completely dressed than he was. Sydney's phone rang. It was Broots telling him to get back because something was wrong with Casey. He was surprised to learn they were on their way.

By the time they got to the Centre Sydney had pulled himself together somewhat. Still, their clothing was in disarray as was their hair. No one had any doubts as to what the pair had been up to.

Both of them ran to Casey's room. Sydney tried the door to no avail. They could hear Casey screaming and saw the unconscious forms of the guards laying nearby. Miss Parker and several sweepers stood glaring at the door.

"Broots had gone for the key." Miss Parker told them.

"What's that?" Stacey yelled and pointed to distract the bunch.

When everyone looked she quickly slipped inside and shut the door. No key would open it now.

"Stacey!" Sydney yelled.

"I'll handle this." she yelled back.

She slowly surveyed the scene in front of her. Damien lay motionless, a tranquilizer dart in his hip. Angelo lay sprawled on the floor, blood oozing from his head and nose. Casey had backed into a corner with her mattress in front of her.

Raines and two of his men stood facing the terrified girl. One sweeper had a gun on her and the other had a syringe.

"Hey--Casey's monitor is working now." Broots yelled. The group moved to the nearest viewer.

Stacey looked at her sister and Casey stopped screaming.

She turned to Raines.

"What the hell did you do to my sister?"

"It must have been Angelo." Raines lied, "We heard her screams and I wanted to try to calm her down. That's a tranquilizer."

"Liar. It's an overdose of Phenobarbital! Your goons hurt Angelo for trying to defend her and you put Damien down too."

"Fine. I'd rather have you both silenced."

He gave his men a signal. One went at Casey with the needle and the other took aim at Stacey.

Both girls moved in a blur of speed. Stacey went to her knees to avoid the first bullet, sprang back up and kicked the gun from the brute's hand. Casey had dropped the mattress and used at like a trampoline to land on the other goon, her fists flying. The needle was flung against the wall.

Stacey fought the large sweeper well. A final flying kick to the side of his head put him down. Casey had overpowered her opponent and now straddled his body, the heel of her hand ready to come down on his face.

"No!" Stacey yelled. "Don't kill him!"

Casey pulled her hand back. The man looked confused as Stacey stood over him. "She was going to send the cartilage of your nose into your brain." Casey got off him, confident he wasn't going to try anything.

Casey went to Angelo and Stacey stood face to face with Raines.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now."

Raines was obviously frightened.

"Never mind. There isn't one. But I'm not like you. I don't enjoy hurting people. I've never killed anyone--yet. If you ever come near me or my sister again or if you ever hurt any of my friends, you will be the first. Leave. Us. Alone!"

Raines stood motionless.

"Get out!" she screamed.

Raines and the now conscious sweepers beat a hasty retreat.

Stacey rushed to Angelo, who was starting to come around. Casey had kept her hand on his head wound. It was no longer bleeding. His nose had cleared too. The watchers had been too busy following the action to notice the glow that washed over Angelo when Casey held her necklace over him.

"Angelo, how do you feel?"

"What happened?"

"You were hit by Raines's goons. You were protecting Casey.

"Everyone OK now?"

"Yes."

"I've got one tremendous headache."

"No wonder. Let me help you down to the clinic. Casey, see how Damien is."

Casey went to her fallen pet, just as he began to rouse.

Stacey took Angelo to the clinic where they examined him and diagnosed a mild concussion. They gave him some medication and told Stacey to keep a close eye on him.

"You bet I will!"

"You don't have to."

"You risked your life for my sister! It's the least I can do to make sure you're all right."

Miss Parker had gone to inform her father of Raines attempt on the girls life. Sydney went to find Stacey.

He found her walking Angelo to his room.

"I'm going to stay with him a few hours to make sure he's all right."

Sydney looked uncomfortable with that. Stacey went to him and kissed him.

"I'll see you for dinner."

Sydney smiled. "OK."

Stacey made Angelo lay down on his bed. She got a cold cloth for his head. She took his hand in a comforting gesture. He took an opportunity to pull more thoughts from her.

The first thought hurt like hell. She and Sydney had made love. The other one confused him. His head began throbbing again.

Stacey stayed with him until she was sure he was going to he all right. She insisted he go with her to Casey's room so her twin could take over nursing duty.

Damien was back to normal and was glad to see that Angelo was fine, too. Casey was glad to keep an on her hero.

Stacey found Sydney in his office. She locked the door behind her and slid into his lap. They kissed passionately. She began undoing her shirt.

"Here?" Sydney asked, a bit nervous.

"The door is locked and the cameras are blocked."

Her lips cut off any further protest. She was so anxious she didn't wait for him to get his pants off. She pulled his belt off and undid his zipper. He hadn't had time to put his underwear back on. She stroked his manhood to its full glory. She slid her pant down far enough to allow her slide onto Sydney.

"Ahhhh" he moaned.

Stacey began to move up and down on his shaft. She pressed her breasts into his face. He licked and sucked her, pleased to find her nipples already rigid.

She moaned as she moved on him and he used his hip and thigh muscles to meet her pumping. She moved her mouth to his. Soon their tongues were mirroring the movements of their bodies.

They increased their rhythm and soon cried out as orgasm washed over them. Stacey draped over him, panting.

"Sydney, my love. I never dreamed I could feel like this."

"My sweet Stacey. I never dreamed I'd meet a lady like you. Or that someone like you want an old sinner like me."

Stacey giggled. "Sinner, possibly. Old, never!"

"Ready for dinner?" she asked him

"I guess I'd better be. I've just had dessert!"

They dressed and fixed their hair before heading for the cafeteria.

After a very late dinner, they said their good-byes and headed for some well- deserved sleep.

Sydney slept better than he had in years.

Stacey got to sleep easily, then dreamed of making love--to Angelo! She woke up crying Angelo's name. She began crying into her pillow. What is wrong with me? How can I want them both? I can't handle these feelings.

She sat up and clutched the necklace. The glow enveloped her for several minutes. As it dissipated, she didn't feel much better. "Thanks anyway." She went back to a very restless sleep.


* * * *


Stacey was ready to begin her first major assignment since her collapse. Sydney kissed her, and handed her the documents on the case.

This case concerned the crash of a small corporate jet carrying five executives. There were no survivors of the crash and family members wanted to know what caused the plane to go down.

She read reports and looked over photos until lunchtime.

"I may need to see the actual wreckage of the aircraft." she told Sydney.

"I'm sure that can be arranged."

They ate lunch together, laughing and talking. Stacey's emotions were still in turmoil. I love being with Sydney like this. I love making love with him. I love how he makes me feel. So why am I hung up on Angelo, too?

"Earth to Stacey." Sydney chuckled.

"Oh! Sorry. I thinking about the case."

They went back to the lab and she did some computer checks for more information on the persons killed in the crash.

"I'm ready to call it a day." she yawned.

"Fine" said Sydney, "want to go to my office?"

"No---walk me back to my room."

Sydney did so and followed her inside. The minute the door was locked they were all over each other. All clothing was shed by the time they fell onto the bed. Sydney lay on his back and pulled her on top of him. She twisted out of the position and pulled him toward her. "I like it better with you on top--for now."

Sydney didn't care as long as he had her. Their first round was hurried and hard, satisfying the physical craving they had for each other. After resting, Stacey wanted to shower more love on her man so she started at his forehead, licking, kissing and caressing her way down. She paused at his lips and traced their shape , first with her fingertip and then with the tip of her tongue. She repeated the process with each of his nipples and his navel. By the time she had maneuvered down to his manhood, it stood at full mast. She hesitated.

"I've never done this before."

"You don't have to now."

"I want to!"

"Then start slow and go easy at first. You'll do fine."

I've seen it done in a movie. I've read how to do it in a manual. I can handle it. She took a deep breath and kissed the tip of his penis. He moaned as she began to lick around the head and glans. Slowly, she began to put more of it in her mouth. Still using her tongue to wrap around it, she finally slid as much as possible into her mouth and began to move up and down. His moans of pleasure encouraged her, and she picked up speed. She slid her hand under his balls and began to gently roll them in her hand. This sent him over the edge, and she greedily swallowed down his seed and continued to lick and suck him until she was sure she had every drop. Sydney was exhausted now.

When he was able to get up and get dressed, they kissed good-night. He headed home for sweet dreams and Stacey headed for the lower corridors.


* * * *


The next day Stacey continued work on the plane crash project and Sydney set up transportation to the hangar where the wreckage was being kept.

"The corporate jet will fly us to Kentucky tomorrow morning."

"Good. I want Casey and Angelo to come along on this one."

"Why?'

"Never know when I'll need psychic or technical support."

"I'll arrange it."

Just before lunch, Broots asked Sydney to step outside.

"I have to see you and Miss Parker alone. Same as before."


* * * *


Sydney and Miss Parker met him in the same location they had used before for `private' meetings. Broots was sure no surveillance would pick them up this time.

"I've got a tape you both have to see. It's about Stacey. An old security camera in a storage area picked it up last night. Those areas are rarely used and the tapes are rarely watched, but George caught this one and gave it to me. He said you two would have to deal with it."

"Deal with what? Just tell us what's on the tape." Miss Parker said impatiently.

"No. You'll have to see it for yourselves. Be at my apartment at seven tonight."

Parker rolled her eyes at Sydney. "We'll be there, but this had better be good."

Sydney wondered what on earth could have gotten Broots so nervous and why he was going to such lengths and risks to keep it secret. If it concerned Stacey it made him worry all the more.


* * * *


After having dinner with his lady love, Sydney told her he had to go to a meeting and left for Broot's apartment in town.

Miss Parker was already there so he joined her on the sofa.

"OK. Let's get this show on the road." she said.

Broots hit the play button of the VCR and joined them.


* * * *


The wide-angle video showed Stacey pacing in the room. She finally quit and sat on a couch that was stored there.

"I don't know what to do!" she spoke, seemingly to her necklace.

A bright amber light enveloped her. She seemed to be in a trance as the light glowed. Ten minutes later, the light disappeared. Stacey started crying, wrenching sobs that tore at Sydney's heart.

"Well, well what have we here." a gruff voice said.

A huge man, a sweeper known as `Killer', came into view.

Stacey stood to face him.

"Sorry if I disturbed you."

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing out of its cage?"

He put his hand on her shoulder.

"Take you hand off me. Now."

"Or what. I thought we'd have a little fun."

"WE aren't' going to have anything. YOU are going to have pain if you don't take you paw off me and leave."

He laughed at her and tired to pull her toward him.

"I'll give you one more chance to walk away."

"I lift four hundred pound barbells. So what's a little twit like you gonna do?"

"You lift four hundred pound barbells? Well, I lift two hundred and eighty pound bullies."

The man shot straight up in the air.

"What the....get me down, you little witch!"

"Anything you say."

The hulking man was now flung against the wall--hard. He slid down, the wind knocked out of him.

Stacey went over to him. He stood shakily and started to hit at her, but he was flung back against the wall. He struggled, seemingly pinned there.

"You shouldn't have messed with me, mister. I was in a nasty mood anyway."

She stepped close enough to touch him, but only stared into his eyes.

"I can do whatever I want to with you. I can make your lungs stop taking in air."

The man was soon gasping for air.

"I can make you heart forget to beat."

The man was soon beginning to lose consciousness.

"I can make pressure build up in your brain until it explodes."

The man screamed at the pain in his head.

"But I'm going to let you go. I don't have time to dispose of your body."

"You will never speak to anyone about what just happened. Ever. If you do, you will die a very slow, very painful death."

The brute found himself unstuck from the wall and stated backing away from her slowly.

"Move!" she shouted.

He turned white and ran helter-skelter all the way to the exit.

Stacey then whirled at a sound.

"Angelo!"

"What was that man doing here?"

"Wasting his time. I convinced him to get back to work."

"Why are you here, Angelo?"

"I sensed that you were upset. I wanted to know if I could help." He took the edge of his T-shirt and wiped the tears from her eyes. She put her arms around him and he took her into his, their lips meeting for a kiss. Angelo slipped his hand on each side of her head. Stacey suddenly pushed him away and stared at him, more tears spilling from her eyes.

"How long have you been able to read my thoughts!"

"From the beginning."

"You even broke through my shields just then. That hurts."

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I just wanted to know what had you so upset."

"You only saw a part of it. I guess I'd better tell you everything now." She took a step toward him and he backed away.

"Are you afraid of me now?"

"I-I don't know who---what--- you are."

"I'm Stacey. You have to trust me. I would never hurt you. Do you love me?"

"Yes. I'm sure of that much."

"Then let me share with you."

She put her hands to the sides of his head and he did likewise. The light enveloped them both for over twenty minutes. When the light dissipated, Angelo sat on the couch.

"I'm not sure I understand everything ."

Stacey sat close to him and took his hand.

Angelo continued. "Your people are going to close the Centre?"

"Not close it Angelo. They are going to wipe it off the face of the earth."

"And no one will be killed."

"My people don't kill. The guilty will pay and the innocent will be set free."

"Who are the guilty?"

"Raines. Mr. Parker. All the board members. Most of the sweepers. Many in corporate."

"And the innocent?"

"Jarod. The children. You."

"What about Sydney? Broots? Miss Parker?"

"They are in the gray area---guilty of greed, blind ambition, bad decisions. They won't be punished but they can't be free either. Their own memories will be their punishment."

"Free. To go where? Do what?"

"There's a very special provision made for those who have no family to return to. It's hard to explain in words."

She touched his forehead. After a few seconds, he smiled at her.

"Yes."

"Are you sure you don't want to think about it?"

"I'm sure. What I want to know is why."

"You know I love Sydney. No one will ever mean to me what he has. But, Angelo, I love you too! I've been tearing myself up inside trying to deny it."

They kissed again and held each other.

"When will it start?"

"Soon. Other operatives are cleaning up lose ends."

They embraced for quite some time before silently returning to their rooms.


* * * *


Tears were streaming down Sydney's face. Miss Parker put her hand on his arm,

"I'm really sorry, Sydney. But we have to figure out who her people are!"

"I don't care." Sydney whispered.

He got up to leave.

"You can't leave now!" Parker fumed.

"Watch me!" he yelled as he left, slamming the door.

Broots and Parker stood staring at each other.
Part Seven of Seven by JasmineSky
Duets
Part Seven of Seven
JasmineSky



Sydney's first thought was to find Stacey and make her explain what the HELL was going on. His fists were clenching and unclenching. Stacey, you have hurt me deeply, but I still love you and I could never harm you.

He drove home instead. After four drinks, he headed for bed.

He had just laid down when a soft light filled the room. He sat bold upright and saw Stacey in the light at the foot of his bed.

"We have to talk Sydney. I just found out about the tape. It's time for you to know the truth. All of it."

"I'm listening."

"I'm not human, Sydney. I'm from a planet called Aristia, just beyond your star system. I was sent to the Centre on a recon mission to gather data on it's inhabitants."

Sydney was shaking his head.

"And I'm Superman. Stacey, if you're going to try to lie your way out of this you'd better come up with a better tale than that."

"Jarod wasn't that skeptical!"

"Jarod!?!"

"He's the reason I was sent here. One of my people noticed him when he saved a child from a burning building. He's been following Jarod ever since and seen all the DSAs. He knows what good Jarod has been doing and what was done to him by the Centre."

Sydney still looked unbelieving.

"Even Jarod needed some concrete proof. My people have the ability to split ourselves into two, even three separate identities.. Each separation requires more energy, so I chose only one `extra' self."

Suddenly, Casey appeared in a flash of light. As Sydney stared, she blended and merged into Stacey.

"So everything had been a lie."

"No, Sydney, not everything. I never planned to fall in love with you but I did. I do and I will always love you."

"There is much more I want you to understand, but it's hard to put into words. Let me tell it to you the way of my people."

He allowed her to kneel by him and put her hands on his face. Information and understanding came very quickly. How her people lived and traveled. How some were sent to visit other peoples and observe them and occasionally were allowed to right unjust situation. How they sometimes allowed aliens to come live on their planet in special environments they maintained. With great sorrow she explained that she could not remain with him as much as she wanted to. She had been off-planet for three years, and needed to return to maintain her health. She wouldn't be able to leave again for at least twenty years.

She took her hands away.

"So I suppose you aren't really seventeen?"

"No. In Earth years I'd be two hundred and ten. But that is very young in Aristian years."

"Show me you natural form."

She shimmered into a bi-pedal form that seemed to be made of pure energy.

She had no hair, but looked quite a bit like the human form she'd taken.

This is the form we take on our world Sydney heard in his mind.

And this is our travel form ....She transformed to a glowing ball of light and flitted around the room. We can travel intra solar systems this way, but require a ship to travel the galaxies.

She changed back into her human form.

"So there was no car bomb? No Haitian couple?"

"No. My people set the whole scenario up. A sim, if you will."

"And you weren't really a virgin when I made love to you."

"Oh, but I was! I have helped in Aristian reproduction and I mated with a Voltarian once. But nothing--nothing!---in the universe is even close to the emotion of human love, or to the intimacy and sensations of physical joining!"

"My people have the ability to `show' emotions to others. let me show you the difference. She let him `feel' the emotions of Aristian and Voltarian mating. He would have to describe them as comfortable, warm, `fuzzy' feelings.

"Now, this is what I feel for you"

Suddenly Sydney felt wave after wave of passion and deep caring love. It made tears roll down his cheek.

"If you don't want anything else to do with me Sydney, I'll understand. I'll leave."

Sydney grabbed her and lay her down next to him. He began kissing her and running his hands over her.

She stopped him for a second. "The Centre will be dealt with in two days."

"So we have two days to be together?"

"You bet!" she giggled and pulled him down on top of her.

They made love dozens of times in the ensuing forty-eight hours. They knew it would be their last hours together, and did their best to share a lifetime of love and lovemaking. They paused only for light snacks and brief naps.

Before either of them was ready, the time to part was at hand.

"My people have finished wrapping up lose ends. One of them has solved the air crash case and given the results to the authorities. Others have reunited Jarod with his parents and siblings."

"Siblings?"

"He has a little sister, Emily, and Kyle is his little brother."

"Kyle!"

"Kyle is very disturbed, but his parents are seeing to it that he gets the best care."

"I have a message from Jarod."

"Yes?"

She touched her necklace. He heard Jarod's voice coming from the light. "Hello, Sydney! Neat communication devices these Aristians have! I had to tell you. I understand now. Matthew---Stacey's counterpart---make me do simulations of you. I saw how you tried to reason with the Tower. How you wanted to treat me---like your son. I saw how you were as shocked as I was when the truth about my kidnapping and the true applications of my simulations came out. I forgive you. Sydney! I forgive you!"

"Jarod!" Sydney said, his voice breaking, "Thank you! I'm so happy for you!"

"I'll talk to you later, Syd. I've gotta run. Don't want to be late for my own wedding!"

"Wedding?"

"Yes, we reunited him with Nia also. She didn't hesitate to accept his proposal."

"Who will be joining you on your planet?"

"Just Tamar and Angelo. And Damien! The horses will be given to a children's group. We found family for the other children."

"Angelo and I will be allowed to live together as mates. My people made a special provision for me to live out my life as a human. I'll age and learn the same way your people do."

"And die?"

"All of us die eventually. Aristians die at around two thousand years. With humans it's just sooner."

"Are there other humans there now?"

"Yes. Several hundred. We've been busy in this sector!"

"What will happen to Raines, the other guilty parties?"

"The FBI will receive documents and manufactured proof of various crimes committed by each one of them. There will be enough to put them all away for the rest of their lives. Operatives will also deliver them to FBI headquarters."

"And those of us in the `gray' area?"

"You will be left alone. My people felt your memories would punishment enough."

"We have to go now, Sydney."

She looked into his eyes. "I will always love you! You will forever be in my mind and in my heart." Tears began streaming down her cheeks.

Sydney held her close. "I will always love and remember you too." He could no longer hold back the tears. He felt as though his heart was being ripped from him.

She laid her hand on his chest. He felt some of the pain vanish.

"We are healers, too. That's what caused my collapse. Jarod had gotten mixed up with a shoot-out. There were so many victims that Matthew couldn't help them all. I had to go there to save Jarod's life."

"We must go to my ship now."


* * * *


Sydney gasped as they walked up to where the Centre had once stood. It was now an open field. A large spacecraft sat in the middle of it.

"Won' t the locals wonder what happened?" Sydney asked.

"They rarely get up this way. Anyway, they thought it was a water processing plant. We'll put up a sign saying the company moved."

"Looks like you all have everything covered."

"There's one more `lose end' we've tied up that can't wait to talk to you."

Sydney turned to see Jacob slowly making his way toward him.

"Jacob!"

"Sydney!"

The twins joyfully embraced.

"Those Aristians are something, aren't they? They healed me!"

"They are indeed."

Stacey had slipped away during the brother's reunion.

Sydney looked to see her running into Angelo's waiting arms.

As the soon-to-be lovers kissed, Sydney could not hold back his tears of sorrow and loss. His bother put his arm around him.

The aliens and their guests boarded the ship and took off.

"Sydney" Miss Parker said, walking up to the pair.

"Miss Parker."

"It's Monica. I'm happy for you and Jacob, but sorry things didn't work out for you and Stacey."

Sydney smiled. "What will you do, Miss, um, Monica?"

"Our alien friends gave Jarod control of the Centre's assets with instructions to divide it as he saw fit among the innocents and those of us in the gray area. He set me up a million dollar account, so I can take my time deciding what to do with the rest of my life."

"You may have that house with the picket fence and children playing in the yard yet."

"I just might, Sydney, I just might!" She hugged him headed off toward a brighter future.

"Broots told me he and his daughter were going to settle down on a ranch in Wyoming. I'll bet Jarod gave him plenty of capital also." Sydney told his brother.

A stranger approached them, one of the aliens remaining on planet.

"Stacey said to give you this when she was gone." he said, handing Sydney a package. He then changed to travel form and sped off to his new assignment.

Opening the box, Sydney found a silver music box that played "I Want to Take Forever Tonight". On the inside of the lid were engraved the words. "To Sydney, my first love, my forever love. Stacey"

The package also contained several photos of her.

He was staring sadly at the items when he heard a voice he hadn't thought he'd ever hear again.

"Sydney!"

He whirled around at Jarod's voice. They ran into each other's arms.

After a healing embrace, Sydney told him once more.

"Thank you for forgiving me."

"Hey, I can't hold grudges against my new partner, can I?"

"Partner?"

"I've got it all worked out. We'll start an organization to continue what I've been doing these past months. I'm calling it The Justice Foundation. You and Jacob will be my partners. Nia had agreed to do the paperwork. My parents and sister will help locate people in need of help. It'll be sort of like that TV show, "The Equalizer." Or maybe "Starskey and Hutch" or "Matlock" or......."

Hope he doesn't watch "Batman and Robin" Sydney thought as he and Jacob walked arm in arm with Jarod to the waiting chopper, ready to take them to their new life.


The End
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=2933