The Unthinkable by leochick
Summary: Debbie has been kidnapped. The only way for Broots to get her back is to murder Miss Parker. How will it all turn out? FINISHED!


Categories: Post IOTH Characters: Telling Would Spoil
Genres: Drama, Suspence/Mystery
Warnings: Warning: Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 52941 Read: 163811 Published: 17/05/05 Updated: 17/05/05

1. The Unthinkable by leochick

2. The Aftermath by leochick

3. A Change of Plans by leochick

4. Pretending and Trusting by leochick

5. Stay Calm by leochick

6. Even by leochick

7. The Real Target? by leochick

8. Looks Can Be Deceiving by leochick

9. Going Alone by leochick

10. Need Some Help by leochick

11. What's Lyle's Story? by leochick

12. Facing The Truth by leochick

13. The Forest House by leochick

14. Something Wicked This Way Comes by leochick

15. Working Together by leochick

16. Unmasked by leochick

17. The Rescue by leochick

18. You Can Only Cheat Death So Many Times by leochick

19. Saying Goodbye by leochick

The Unthinkable by leochick
Disclaimer: Don’t have anything to do with the pretender. No money is being made from this.

Chapter 1

Broots sat in his car, looking across the street toward Miss Parker’s house. He prayed that she wasn’t home, but unfortunately she was. He let out a deep sigh, and stared at the gun sitting in the passenger seat. How could he do this to her? Miss Parker was almost like a sister to him. She was always there for Debbie, like a mother figure to the girl.

Putting the keys back in the ignition he turned the car on, but then quickly turned it back off. There was no escaping this nightmare. It was either Debbie or Miss Parker. It was a no brainer for him. His daughter’s life was the most important thing to him. If he didn’t follow through with ‘his’ plan, Debbie will die. He wasn’t going to let Debbie down. Trying to gather up as much courage as he could, he grabbed the gun and put it in his jacket pocket. Grabbing the baseball cap off the dashboard, he put it on and got out of the car.

The rain was coming down in buckets. Trying to delay the inevitable, he slowly walked up the concrete path to Miss Parker’s house. While walking, he scanned the area around him. He knew they were watching him, making sure he went through with it.

By the time he reached Miss Parker’s front porch, he was soaking wet from the rain. Instead of knocking on the door, he just stood there. The thought of killing Miss Parker was making him sick. Feeling the bile rising in his throat, he ran to the bushes and threw up. While he was still bent over, he didn’t hear Miss Parker open the door. Since his back was towards her, she didn’t recognize him.

“Buddy, I don’t know who you are. But, if your some sick pervert looking for a cheap thrill, you’ve picked the wrong house. Now slowly turn around.” He then felt her gun being pressed in his back.

He raised his hands above his head and turned around slowly. “Miss Parker, it’s me, Broots,” he said in a nervous tone.

She lowered her gun and let out a sigh of relief. “Broots, what are you doing out here? You scared me half to death. I thought there was some prowler or peeping Tom out here.”

Broots dropped his hands to his side, and put them in his pocket. He felt the gun in his hand. It was reminding him in some sick way, that he had a job to do. This wasn’t a social call for him. “I’m sorry Miss Parker, I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just about ready to knock on your door, when I got sick all of a sudden.” Looking at the bushes he commented, “I’m sorry about the bushes.”

The hard look she usually has on her face softened. “Don’t worry about them. Are you okay?” She asked with concern.

“Uh yeah, I’m okay. I’m probably getting some bug that’s going around.” He averted his eyes from the woman standing before him and scanned the area again, but the street appeared to be dead.

“Broots, what are you doing here?”

He took a deep breath before looking at her. “I know it’s late, but I was wondering if I could get your help on something.” He prepared himself for a sarcastic comment to come out of her mouth, but he was surprised by what he heard.

“What do you want help with?” she asked gently.

Broots was surprised by her tone. She was actually being nice to him. Even her demeanor seemed to be different. She felt more like a friend then a boss. This made the situation only worse. It would be so much easier, if she were angry with him or calling him names. Rubbing the back of his head he answered, “Well, Debbie’s birthday is coming up. It’s her sweet sixteen. I have no idea on what to do. My ex-wife won’t help, to busy with her gambling.” He hesitated and finally blurted out, “Would you help me plan a party for her?”

Miss Parker continued to stare at him, contemplating on what he just said. Slowly, her face broke into a smile. “I would be more than happy to help, Broots.” Turning around she walked to the door. “Come on, let’s go inside before we catch our death out here.”

Broots stopped walking at the mention of death and gave Miss Parker a solemn look. Why did it have to come down to this? He just hoped Debbie’s captors would follow through on their promise to him, and let her go when Miss Parker was dead.

Miss Parker opened the door, expecting Broots to be behind her. “Are you coming or what?” She asked with an impatient voice.

Miss Parker didn’t wait for his answer as she walked back into her living room. Broots reluctantly left his spot and walked over to the door. He took his baseball cap off and shook off the rainwater. When he was done, he slowly stepped through the doorway and closed the door.

“Broots, take your coat off and stay for awhile.” She got up from where she was sitting and headed towards the kitchen. Stopping in the entranceway, she turned back to Broots. “I’m going to make a pot of coffee, do you want some?” He meekly nodded yes to her. Turning back around, Miss Parker headed into the kitchen.

Broots put his hands back in his pockets and sat down on a chair by the door. He still felt the gun in his one pocket, but he felt something else in the other. He pulled the item out and stared at it. It made him sick to his stomach. In his hands was a picture of Debbie, tied to a chair, with duct tape on her mouth. Her face was tear stained. The photo tore at his soul. He could feel the tears building in his eyes. Miss Parker was talking from the kitchen, but it was like a foreign language to him. He just couldn’t concentrate on her words. Broots quickly put the picture back in his pocket as he heard Miss Parker coming out of the kitchen, holding two coffee mugs.

She offered him the steaming mug and stood in front of him. Broots, didn’t want to look up, but he did. This was too much, he thought to himself. Her face was showing concern for him. “Are you sure that your okay?” She asked with a soft voice.

“Really, I’m fine,” he mumbled out.

She continued to give him a skeptical look, then shrugged her shoulders and headed back towards the couch. Once she was settled she commented, “It’s hard to believe Debbie is going to be sixteen. It seems like only yesterday, when you asked me to watch her when you went down to Florida to do work for the Centre.” She took a sip of coffee and continued, “Broots, I...I want to say thank you.”

Broots choked on the coffee he was drinking, shocked by what he just heard. He heard Miss Parker chuckle to herself as she handed him a napkin to clean the mess on his shirt. While dabbing the wet spot he asked, “What for?”

“For bringing her into my life when you did. I know I’m not Mary Poppins, but she helped bring out a side of me that I never knew existed.”

Broots could feel his eyes watering up again. Damn it, not now. He was doing all he could to stifle the tears. He abruptly got up from his chair and looked at Miss Parker. “Is it alright if I use the restroom?” She nodded yes to him, with a somewhat worried look on her face.

Broots headed towards the bathroom. Closing the door behind him, he leaned against it and closed his eyes. “I can’t go through with this. I can’t kill her,” he said in a low whisper. He opened his eyes and slowly pushed off the door. Going over to the sink, he turned on the faucet and splashed cold water on his face. Lifting up his head, he stared into the mirror. It was like a different man was staring back him. It scared him a bit. His eyes were red rimmed and puffy from crying since he found out about Debbie. His face had an unhealthy pallor to it. Broots brought his hands up to his face, trying to rub the weariness out. He stopped when he heard his cell phone ringing. He answered it on the first ring.

“Hello?”

A familiar male voice came over the other line. “What’s taking so long?”

“I know its taking long, but—“

“Stop making excuses. It’s time to end this madness once and for all. Now do it!” The male voice hissed and then clicked off the phone.

Broots stared absently at the phone for a few seconds and then put it back into his pocket. Taking another deep breath, he slowly turned the doorknob, an opened the door. He walked back into the living room to find Miss Parker staring out the front window. Seeing this was his only opportunity, he reached into his pocket and brought out his gun.

His arm and hand was unsteady due to his shaking. He was glad that her back was facing him; he was scared to look at her when he did this.

“Please God, forgive me for what I’m about to do,” he said under his breath.

He was about to pull the trigger when Miss Parker turned around. At first, confusion spread across her face, but then it slowly turned to shock. “Broots, what are you doing with that?” She asked with an even tone, trying to keep the fear out of her voice, while eyeing the gun in his shaking hands.

“I’m sorry Miss Parker, there’s no other way.” As much as he tried, he couldn’t make his finger pull the trigger. He could feel the battle waging in his mind, it was so tiring. He just wanted everything to go back to the way it was. He lowered the gun a bit, staring down at the floor. Broots quickly brought it back up when he saw Miss Parker coming towards him out of the corner of his eye.

She stopped and put her hands up. “Broots, I don’t know what’s going on, but killing me is not the answer,” she said pleadingly. “Please, don’t do this. I can see the turmoil in your eyes. Just tell me what’s going, I can help you.” She took a step closer to Broots.

“Miss Parker, don’t make this any harder. Please, just turn around,” he cried out.

“I’m sorry, but I won’t make this any easy for you. If you’re going to shoot me, then you’ve got to face me.” The look on her face became steely and hard.

“It figures you wouldn’t make this easy.” He smiled sadly at her. “Just turn around. I have to do this. If I don’t follow through they’re going too...they’re going too...” He couldn’t finish his train of thinking.

“What are they going to do?” She took another step towards him. “If I’m going to die, I would like to know what I’m dying for.”

Broots stared at her for what seemed like an eternity. He quickly looked away then looked back at her. “For Debbie,” he simply stated. With more determination, he held the gun steadier, taking aim at her. Miss Parker slowly backed away, while still facing him.

He could feel the hot tears coming down his cheek. Through his blurry vision he said sadly, “Miss Parker, please forgive me.” He then pulled the trigger.

XXXXXX

To Be Continued...
The Aftermath by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 2

Broots couldn’t believe it. He shot Miss Parker. Her body was lying on the floor; face down, in a crumpled mess. He’ll never forget the look on her face right before the bullet hit her. It would haunt him forever.

He could still see her face contorting into all sorts of emotions over those few seconds. There was disbelieve, fear, understanding, and sympathy for him. The last emotion he didn’t deserve. He felt so disgusted with himself, because he knew he took the coward’s way out.

Complete shock was starting to take over his body. He dropped the gun on the floor and fell to his knees. He wanted to go over and help her, but his body wouldn’t let him. Broots felt so much sorrow for the unconscious form lying before him. She didn’t deserve this. Feeling his emotions starting to bubble over, he put his face in his hands, and wept for the friend he just murdered.

XXXXXXXX

Jarod sped through the small town streets, trying to get to Miss Parker in time. He just found out not to long ago that the hit put out on her was moved up twenty-four hours. He tried to reach her by phone, but there was no answer. He called her cell phone, but he couldn’t get a signal, due to the storm raging outside.

He couldn’t believe how fast the rain was coming down. The windshield wipers were going as fast as they could, but the rain still cascaded down the windows like a waterfall. Jarod slammed his hand against the steering wheel, cursing under his breath. If something bad happened to Miss Parker, he would never forgive himself. Looking at the clock on the dashboard, he realized he had twenty minutes left to warn her in time.

With more determination, he stepped on the gas pedal, making the car go faster. He was glad he did that pretend all those years ago, becoming a stuntman. The driving stunts he learned back then were coming in handy for him tonight. Jarod rounded the curves with such ease. A couple of times he fishtailed, but gained control without any problems.

Jarod finally reached the area that Miss Parker lived in. Instead of driving down the street she lived on, he parked his car on the street that was situated behind her house. Parking his car, he gathered up his items and headed towards her house.

He was glad this street wasn’t as populated as Miss Parker’s. It would make it easier for him to go undetected. Jarod slung his backpack over his shoulders and ran across the street to the woods.

Jarod could hear and see the lightening and thunder crackling over him. In some weird way, he felt like Mother Nature was against him on this. Laughing at him through the thunder. Throwing obstacles in his way in the form of this ungodly rain that was coming down.

When Jarod was a safe distance from the road, he crept under a large maple tree, seeking shelter from the rain. He pulled his backpack off his shoulders and opened it. He pulled out a ski mask, night vision goggles, pepper spray, and a handgun. He had no idea what he walking into and needed to be prepared. Jarod put the ski mask on and then slipped on the night vision goggles. He put the pepper spray in his pocket and placed the gun in the back of his waistband. Slipping the backpack back over his shoulders again, he slowly crept up the hill, towards Parker’s house.

When Jarod reached the clearing, he settled down on the ground, looking around for any sweepers. Through the goggles he found two sweepers hidden among the trees, both with sniper rifles in their hands, ready to shoot anything that didn’t belong. He estimated there was a distance of seventy feet between the sweepers. Keeping low to the ground, he made his way towards them.

The first sweeper was no problem. Before he had a chance to react, Jarod picked up a tree branch and smacked him in the head with it, knocking him out. Jarod dragged the sweeper to a tree. Having the sweeper sitting up, Jarod pulled out some rope from his pack and tied the sweeper to the tree. He then placed some tape over his mouth and placed a blindfold over his eyes. Taking the rifle, Jarod set it down away from the sweeper, covering it with leaves. When he was done, Jarod made his way to the next one.

The other sweeper was alerted to his presence, by the twigs he stepped on. The sweeper threw his leg out, taking Jarod’s legs out from underneath him. Jarod tried to get up, but the sweeper was standing over him, pointing his gun at him. The sweeper smirked at him and pulled the trigger.

Jarod closed his eyes preparing for the shot. He heard the gun click, but no bullet came out. “What the hell?” Said the sweeper. Jarod used the distraction to his advantage. Pulling out the pepper spray, he sprayed the contents at the sweeper. The sweeper yelped out when the fiery liquid came in contact with his eyes. Jarod jumped up and punched the sweeper in the face, knocking him out. He then did the same thing as he did with the previous sweeper and tied him to a tree.

When Jarod looked up at Miss Parker’s house the lights went out. Hiding among the shadows, he crept up the back porch steps towards the backdoor. He peered through the window, but the only thing he could see was darkness. Kneeling down by the door, Jarod took the glasscutter out of his bag. Standing back up, Jarod put the suction cup on the window, and made a small circle with the cutter. Being ever so quiet, he pulled the suction cup off, taking the cut glass with it. Putting his hand through the vacated glass, he unlocked the door, letting himself in.

XXXXXXX

After about five minutes, Broots slowly got up. Wiping the tears away with the back of his hand, he headed to the chair he vacated and picked up his baseball cap and put it back on. Walking back across the room, Broots paused by Miss Parker. He knelt down beside her and reached out to her, but quickly brought his hand back up. He couldn’t even bring himself to touch her.

“I’m sorry, Miss Parker,” he whispered softly to her. Broots looked down at his watch and noticed the time; he had to get out of here. Just when he picked up his gun the lights went out. ‘The storm must be getting nasty out there,’ he thought to himself. Turning back around he headed towards the front door.

XXXXXX

With his goggles still on, Jarod carefully walked through the kitchen. The last thing he wanted was to have Miss Parker pointing a gun at him. When Jarod got to the entranceway, he let the wall conceal his body and peeked his head out. He couldn’t believe what he was looking at.

Miss Parker was lying on the floor. No movement was coming from her. Jarod could feel his knees growing weak. “I let her down,” he said in a sad whisper. Jarod was about to walk out when he noticed movement coming from the door. A man came out, and knelt down by Miss Parker. Jarod could feel the anger starting to build in him. He tried to get a good look at the man, but his back was towards him, hiding his face. To make matters worse, his goggles were starting to malfunction. Just before they went off, the goggles allowed Jarod to see the man walk over and pick up a gun. Jarod didn’t know whom this man was, but he was going to pay for what he did.

Taking the goggles off, Jarod went after the man, jumping on his back. Both men fell down on the ground. Before Miss Parker’s assailant could say anything, Jarod sprayed the pepper spray in his eyes. The man screamed out in pain, scrambling over to the wall.

“Oh no you don’t. You’re not getting away that easy!” He shouted at the man. Jarod flipped him over and was about to punch him when lightening flashed in the room. The illumination revealed a face that Jarod was shocked to see.

“You were the hitman,” Jarod said in disbelief.

Broots couldn’t see anything in front of him, but he recognized the voice. It was Jarod. He tried to open his eyes, but they felt like they were on fire. “Jarod, you don’t understand. I had to do it,” he mumbled out sadly.

Jarod grabbed Broots by the collar and brought his face within inches of his own. “How could you do this to her?” He spat out.

“Jarod, please, I have to go.” Broots brought his hands up to Jarod’s, trying to free his shirt from his firm grip. “Oh God, my eyes. Jarod I need some water,” he pleaded.

Jarod reluctantly let go of his shirt, and walked over to Miss Parker. The lightening flashed again, revealing Miss Parker’s body. She looked so peaceful. Jarod was surprised there was no blood around her. Kneeling down beside her, he gently rolled her over on her back. Just when he did this the electricity came back on.

There was a bullet hole in her shirt, but there was no blood. He could feel hope slowly surging through him. He lifted up her shirt to the point where the bullet would have entered her body. The sight before him brought a smile to his face. She did take his advice. Underneath her shirt was a bulletproof vest. The bullet that would have been in her abdomen was lodged in the Kevlar vest.

Jarod checked her pulse, and found that her heart was still beating in her. He let out a sigh of relief. Trying to wake her, he shook her shoulders and gently patted her on the cheeks. “Miss Parker, wake up,” he kept repeating to her.

He looked over at Broots who was still in agony. Jarod still couldn’t get over the fact that Broots was sent to kill Miss Parker. Jarod looked back down at Miss Parker who now seemed to be coming about. He couldn’t stop the smile that came to his face when she opened her eyes.

Rubbing the back of her head she asked, “What the hell is going on?”

To Be Continued...
A Change of Plans by leochick
Disclaimer: In First Chapter.

Chapter 3

Miss Parker slowly sat up, still rubbing the back of her head. Seeing Jarod, she instinctively reached towards her lower back, getting her gun. Where was it? As if reading her thoughts Jarod commented, “Looking for this?” He had her gun, dangling it in front of her. When she reached for it, she winced at the abrupt pain that shot through her waist.

“You’re most likely going to have a bruise right there from the impact of the bullet hitting the vest,” stated Jarod.

Miss Parker ignored him and got up. Jarod offered his hand out to her, but she didn’t take it. “Let me guess, Jarod. Are you here to gloat over my recent predicament? Trying to rub my face in your most recent heroics when it comes to my life.” She stopped talking when she heard a muffled cry coming from behind her. Turning around, Miss Parker saw Broots curled up in a corner, rubbing his eyes. Seeing her colleague in pain, she made a move towards him.

Miss Parker was surprised when Jarod grabbed her arm. “What are you doing? He tried to kill you tonight. Who knows who else is out there; ready to end your life. If you want to stay alive, we have to go...now,” said Jarod with an urgent voice.

Miss Parker shoved his hand off her arm. “Who gives you the right to order me around? I’ll do as I damn well please.” Parker then went over to Broots.

Broots tried to focus his eyes, but they were burning. He needed relief in the form of water. ‘I must be going crazy,’ he thought to himself. He could have sworn he heard Miss Parker’s voice.

Miss Parker knelt down beside Broots. She never would of dreamed in a million years that Broots was the one sent to kill her. But in a way, it made perfect sense. It was no secret that Broots was the weakest link on her team. He had the most to lose. Right before he shot her, she remembered him saying Debbie. She could already feel her blood boiling at the fact that they may have used Debbie to get to Broots. Without saying anything, she helped Broots stand up, and headed towards the kitchen.

When they walked past Jarod, neither saw the picture fall out of Broots’ pocket, but Jarod did. Jarod picked it up and looked at it. He was now starting to understand why Broots shot Miss Parker. Still holding the picture, Jarod walked into the kitchen with the duo.

Broots let Miss Parker take him over to the sink. He still couldn’t believe that she was alive. He saw the bullet hit her in the gut. There was no way anyone could survive that shot. “Miss Parker, am I going crazy? Are you really alive?” He asked with wonderment.

“No you’re not going crazy, I’m still alive and kicking.” She was surprised at how gentle her tone was with Broots. If it was anyone else, she would of ripped him or her a new one by now. Walking him over to the sink, she gently pushed his head down, and turned on the faucet. Opening up one of the kitchen drawers, she took out a washcloth and put it under the running water. When Broots was finished splashing water in his eyes, she gave him the washcloth and then led him back to the kitchen table that Jarod was sitting at.

Broots’ sat down between Jarod and Miss Parker. His eyes were still sore, but the cold compress helped ease the pain. While still holding the washcloth to his eyes he asked Miss Parker, “How could you survive that shot? I saw the bullet hit you. You fell back and landed on the floor, there was no movement coming from you.” He stopped and looked directly at Miss Parker with tears in his eyes, “I’m so sorry. Its just that..” He then remembered he had to get out of here. “I have to go.” He abruptly got up, but Jarod blocked his way.

“Jarod, please, you don’t understand. I have to leave,” begged Broots.

Jarod pulled the picture of Debbie out and brought it up to Broots’ face. “I can help you, Mr. Broots.” He looked over at Miss Parker. “WE can help you.”

Miss Parker got up from where she was sitting and looked over Broots’ shoulder. It broke her heart seeing Debbie so scared and helpless. She looked over at Jarod and can see the anger slowly building in him. She knew how Jarod felt about kidnappings. If they were going to get Debbie back safe and sound, Jarod and her needed to work together on this. She had to admit, the two of them did work well with each other. They were a force to be reckoned with when they had the same allegiances. Putting a hand on Broots’ shoulder she commented, “As much as I hate to admit this, Jarod’s right. We will do whatever we can to help you.”

Broots took the Polaroid picture out of Jarod’s hand. While staring at he said, “Why would you help me, Miss Parker? I just shot you.” Broots could feel a tear running down his cheek.

Miss Parker turned him around, so they were facing each other. Broots was still afraid to look at her. Putting her fingers under his chin, she lifted his head up. “Broots, I know you weren’t in the right state of mind when you shot me. I couldn’t even imagine what you’re going through right now. All I know is that you’ve always been there for me when I needed someone. Both Sydney and you. I know I give you a hard way to go, but in the end, you can always guarantee that I’ll have your back, no matter what.”

All Broots could muster out was, “Thank you.” He tried to hold back his tears but he couldn’t, they came flooding out of his eyes before he had a chance to stop them. Turning away from Miss Parker, Broots cried into his hands.

Without even thinking, Miss Parker stood in front of Broots and held him in her arms. Letting him cry on her shoulder. Through the tears he said, “Miss Parker, I wish I had your strength to get me through this. I...I’m just so tired and scared. Debbie’s my life, if she dies I will never forgive myself.”

“We’ll find her,” Miss Parker responded back with a more determined voice. She pulled away from Broots and gave him a reassuring smile. She then went back over to the table. Seconds later, the two men followed and sat down with her.

Broots spoke up first. Dabbing his eyes with the washcloth he asked, “How did you survive the gun shot?”

She looked over at Jarod and saw a small grin appear on his face. She just shook her head in exasperation and looked back at Broots. “This morning, a package appeared on my doorstep. Inside the brown box was a bulletproof vest with a note inside.” Digging into her pockets she brought out a folded white piece of paper. She gave it to Broots to read.

The note said:

--Miss Parker, put this on when you receive it. When I was doing my daily check of the Centre mainframe, I found out a hit was put out on you. It should take place tomorrow night at 10:00 pm. To be on the safe side, please put this on. I’ll be in contact with you.

Jarod—

Broots now looked over at Jarod with astonishment. “Do you know who put the hit out?”

“Unfortunately, I still don’t know who ordered the hit. The file that contained all the information had a virus attached to it. I was only able to read it for about thirty seconds before the virus started attacking it.” Jarod paused an added, “I’m guessing you don’t know who put the hit out either?”

Broots shook his head from side to side. “No, I don’t. I know Willie is involved. Willie and two sweepers came to my house last night. Willie gave me a cell phone and left. Just when the door closed behind him, the phone rang. The voice is distorted when he talks to me, but it seems familiar. I have a feeling it may be Mr. Raines, since that’s who Willie works for.”

Miss Parker got up from her chair and started pacing back and forth within the kitchen. “Son of a bitch! That ghoul will regret the day he ever met me.” She grabbed her car keys off the counter and headed towards the garage door. She almost made it when Jarod stepped in her way. “What do you think your doing?” She growled out.

“Preventing a mistake. You’re not thinking this through. If you go waltzing into the Centre by yourself, they’ll be ready to take you down in a heartbeat. Besides, Raines could be just one of the many suspects.”

“Jarod, open up your eyes. This has Raines written all over it. What more proof do you need than Raines’ lap dog, Willie,” said Miss Parker with an incredulous voice.

“Why do you have to be so stubborn? All I’m asking is for you to cool down and really think this through.” He stood firmly in the spot. Jarod and Miss Parker continued to stare at each other for what seemed like an eternity. The silence was broken by Broots’ cell phone.

Parker and Jarod looked over at Broots. Letting out a deep sigh, Broots answered the phone. “Hel...Hello?” he stuttered out. The familiar, distorted voice sent a chill down his spine. Broots looked over at Miss Parker and Jarod. They both had questionable looks on their face. As if reading their thoughts, Broots shook his head up and down, letting them know it was the kidnapper.

“I’ve been informed that you’re still at Miss Parker’s house. I hope you didn’t back out of our deal. I would hate to kill your daughter, for going against my wishes,” the voice said tauntingly.

Broots held onto the phone with a tighter grip. “Please, don’t hurt her,” he cried out.

He heard a devilish laugh come across the other line. “Ah, Mr. Broots, I’m glad you see things my way. Now tell me, is Miss Parker dead?”

Broots didn’t know what to say. He looked over at Miss Parker and decided what he had to do. He would have to lie. “Yes, she’s dead.”

“Mr. Broots, you’ll have to excuse me if I sound a bit surprised. I wasn’t for sure you would have it in you, after what happened this morning.” Broots heard some shuffling in the background. “Why are you still there? You do remember you were suppose to meet one of my associates at the local high school parking lot, right?”

“I know, I’m sorry. I wasn’t feeling very well after I shot her. I’ve never killed anyone before. The guilt overtook my body.” Broots didn’t hear Miss Parker make her way over to him. She was sitting in the chair beside him. Her hand was on top of his, giving him a reassuring squeeze. It was like she was transferring some of her strength onto him.

The distorted voice seemed to be contemplating Broots’ answer. Finally, the voice came back on the phone. “Very well then. I know you’re a somewhat weak, cowardly man. It would make perfect sense, that you wouldn’t be able to stomach the stench of blood. To tell you the truth, this works out for my benefit.”

Broots was scared to ask. “How?”

He heard a light chuckle come over the line. “It seems that someone may have found out about my plans. Because of this, I will have to resort to Plan B.” Broots listened intently as Plan B was given to him.

Before the phone hung up, Broots asked rapidly, “Please, let me speak to Debbie. I have to know that she’s okay.” Broots could feel his mouth going dry, his palms becoming sweaty, his heart beating faster with each passing second. He just hoped he didn’t cross the line with the demand.

He let out a sigh of relief when Debbie’s voice came over the line. “Dad, Dad are you there?”

He could hear the fear and despair in her voice. It killed him. “I’m right here. Are you okay?”

There was hesitation before she answered, “Yes.” Broots could hear her muffled cries come across the line. “I just want to go home.”

“I know you do. Believe me, I’m doing everything I can. Just do what they say, okay?”

“Alright. I love you.”

“I love you too, sweetie.”

There was another pause, and then all of a sudden he heard Debbie’s frantic voice come across the line. “Dad, I know where they are keeping me. They’re keeping me at...hey, what do you think you’re doing? Dad, DAD!”

Broots stood up quickly, knocking the chair down. “DEBBIE, DEBBIE!” he screamed into the phone. He then heard a gunshot come across the line. “DEBBIE, TALK TO ME!”

Instead of Debbie, he got the familiar voice. “You have thirty minutes.” The line then went dead.

“Oh God, oh God, oh God,” Broots kept repeating. He dropped the phone to the ground. He prayed that Debbie was okay.

To Be Continued...
Pretending and Trusting by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 4

Miss Parker saw how white Broots’ face became after the phone call. Something happened. She snapped her fingers in front of him to get his attention. He flinched at the snapping. “What did they say?” She asked.

“They...I’m suppose...I heard a gunshot over the phone. Debbie knows where they’re keeping her, but she didn’t have a chance to tell me. A gunshot then came over the line.” He stopped talking and looked out the kitchen window. When he turned back around, there were tears coming down his face. “I don’t know if she’s alive or...God, I don’t even want to think about the other possibility.”

Jarod came walking over to Broots and put a hand on his shoulder. “We just have to hope for the best.” Trying to change the subject he asked, “What else did they say?”

Broots rubbed the back of his neck. “The original plan was for me to leave after Miss Parker was shot. I was then told to go meet one of the kidnapper’s men at the high school parking lot. However, since I never did make it there, they became suspicious. That’s what that phone call was about.” He looked over at Miss Parker and commented, “I had to lie and say that you were dead. I was surprised that he would believe me. But, now there are new plans.”

Miss Parker was afraid to ask. She didn’t like the look on Broots’ face. “What are they?”

“He told me that he already had a back up plan in case the plans changed. There’s already a body bag waiting in the trunk of your SUV. I’m expected to take the SUV, with you in tow, and drive out to Blue Ridge Lake. There, I’m supposed to meet with more men. When they are convinced that you’re dead, I’m suppose to roll the SUV with you inside, into the lake. I don’t know what happens after that.” Broots leaned against the wall and said, “Oh yeah, we now have...25 minutes left to get there.”

While Broots was talking, Jarod was thinking of all the possible ways to fool the kidnappers. He could use drugs to somehow hide her pulse, but that was out of the question. For one, it could be dangerous, and two, they didn’t have enough time to get any. There was only one possibility he could think of. It would have to work. Letting out a deep sigh he said, “I have plan that might work.”

XXXXXXXX

It was still raining cats and dogs outside. The thunder and lightening rolled across the black, saturated sky. Broots navigated the SUV to the lake with little problems. He parked the car at the spot and waited. He looked out of the driver’s side window and watched the rain whip up against the glass. There seemed to be no peace around him, just chaos. He hoped that Jarod’s plan would work. If it didn’t, they all could die. When he noticed the headlights coming up the hill, he stepped out of the SUV. Before leaving he commented to the other occupants, “It’s show time.”

Miss Parker heard the door slam. She tried to control her breathing, but it just seemed to get quicker. It didn’t help matters that she was zipped up in the body bag. Jarod poked some holes in the bag to help her breathe a little better. She could feel her palms becoming sweaty; she needed to control her body temperature somehow. If they opened the bag and saw her face covered with sweat, they would know she was alive. Taking the Kleenex she had in her hand, she dabbed her face with it, trying to keep herself dry.

She hated depending on other people for help. Yet, here she was, hoping Jarod would be able to get her and Broots out of this situation. His plan seemed simple. Once he was done putting holes in the body bag, he then set upon making her look dead. The only substitute they could come up with for blood in a short amount of time was a bottle of ketchup in her refrigerator. Jarod squirted it all over her front shirt. She could smell the faint aroma in the bag. Hopefully, the kidnappers wouldn’t notice the smell.

Once Jarod was done with her shirt. He decided to add a little more. Taking some chicken from the refrigerator, he peeled the skin off and placed it on her neck. He then added more ketchup along her throat, letting it slide down. It was to make sure the kidnappers wouldn’t check her pulse. They just hoped they wouldn’t check her wrist. When they opened the body bag, it would look like she was shot, but also her neck would be slashed. It was probably overkill, but they had to try.

The next part of the plan was what she feared the most. She was in a helpless situation. The only person that could save her would be Jarod. She didn’t like putting her life in other people’s hands. But, if she did, she was glad that it was Jarod. He would never let her down. She was about to call out to him when she heard the trunk door open.

Her body went rigid when she heard the unfamiliar voices. She slowed down her breathing. Her heart was like a drum in her chest. She could hear the beats getting louder in her ears. ‘Get control of yourself, Parker,’ she thought to herself. As she got her breathing under more control, she felt a hand push down on her head as the bag slowly unzipped.

Broots watched the three men like a hawk. They unzipped the bag slowly, revealing the top half of Miss Parker. He was taken aback by her appearance. She looked dead to the world.

The largest man of the group was the supposed leader. He had a southern accent when he talked. “Why’d you cut her throat for?” He asked while chewing on a toothpick.

Broots gave a nervous smile. Looking him straight in the eyes he answered, “I wanted to make sure that she was truly dead. Now, where’s my daughter? Is she okay?”

The southern man just smiled at him. “They say patience is a virtue, if I’m not mistaken. You’ll get your answer when we feel that your end of the bargain was upheld.” Turning to the man closest to Miss Parker he commanded, “Check her.” The man did as he was told.

He climbed in the back and bent over Miss Parker. Bending his head down closer to her, he looked at her intently. The young man didn’t look comfortable doing this. The man was about to check her pulse on her neck, but then brought his hands back up.

The southern man was starting to get annoyed. “What’s the problem? Don’t tell me you can’t handle this. Stop being a sissy and do it.”

The young man gave him a confused look. “Her neck is so torn up. I don’t know if I’ll be able to check for a pulse.” He paused for a moment, then his face lit up with an idea. Digging into his pockets, he brought out his sunglasses.

Broots didn’t know what the sunglasses were for. Trying to warn Miss Parker he asked, “What are the sunglasses for?”

“I’m going to put these under her nose. You better hope they don’t fog up.” The young man then put the glasses under her nose.

It seemed like time stood still. Broots didn’t realize he was holding his breath, until the young man pulled the glasses away from her nose.

The southern man walked more closely to the SUV. “So, did they fog up?”

"No, they didn’t.” The young man looked down at the woman lying before him. He didn’t want to touch a dead body, but knew he had too. Taking a deep breath, he reached out for her wrist.

Broots could feel the panic rising in him. He had to do something. “Hey, she’s dead. I want to get the hell out of here. I passed a cop car when coming up the hill, I don’t’ want to take a chance of him coming back.”

The southern man seemed to contemplate Broots’ words. Turning back towards the younger man he ordered, “Wait a minute.” He then walked over to the car they drove in. The driver’s side window went down, revealing a silhouette of a man. Broots tried to listen but the wind and distance between them made it virtually impossible.

After about a minute the southern man came back. “Well, it appears you’re telling the truth. My associate just told me that the police are out an about in this area, looking for a bank robber.” While still looking at Broots he shouted to the younger man, “Forget it. She’s dead. Let’s get this over with.”

The younger man seemed to hesitate. Broots was becoming more nervous with each passing second. Finally, the younger man started to maneuver himself out of the back. He was half way out when he stopped. “Wait just a damn minute.” He then jumped back in and hovered over Miss Parker’s face.

Broots and the southern man walked over to the SUV. “What is it now?” The southern man yelled over the wind and rain.

“Look.” The younger man pointed at a droplet of water running down Miss Parker’s face. Looking at Broots with more determination he commented, “Now I don’t know about you, but I’ve never heard of dead people sweating.”

Sounding nonchalant Broots replied back, “Will you give it up? She’s dead. The water obviously came from you. As you can see, it’s like a monsoon out here. Some of the rainwater most likely dropped off your clothes onto her.”

The young man didn’t look convinced. He looked up at the leader. “I’ve got a feeling that we’re being played for fools right now.”

Broots could tell the southern man was starting to get pissed. “I don’t care what you think. We did are tests. The boss man seems to be happy with the results.” Grabbing the man roughly by the arm, he pulled him out of the SUV. “Next time I give you an order you better follow through, got it? No questions asked.” He then pushed the young man down into a puddle of mud. Closing the door he looked at Broots. “Well, you know what to do next?”

Broots nodded his head and went over to the driver’s side. Sitting in the seat, he turned around. From underneath a blanket, Jarod gave him thumbs up. Broots gave him a weak smile and then turned back around. He unlocked the emergency brake and then put the car in neutral. Getting out of the car, he pushed on the driver’s side while the three men pushed from the back. When they got enough momentum, Broots stepped away from the automobile and watched it slowly roll down the hill towards the lake.

Muttering under his breath he said, “Good luck you two.” Turning around, he headed back up the hill.

To Be Continued...
Stay Calm by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

A/n: If any of you watch the TV show “Alias” then you might recognize a certain scene in this chapter. I remember watching it, thinking it was a pretty cool idea. I don’t know if it would actually work in real life, but its good enough for me.

Chapter 5

Broots was met halfway, when he seen the three men coming towards him. He looked back behind him to see the SUV slowly submerging into the cold icy water. Looking forward again, he walked up to the men. “What are you guys doing? I thought we were leaving after this.”

The southern man looked at him an answered, “We just want to make sure there is no evidence of the SUV being found.” Waving his hand in the air, the other men scattered about.

“What are they doing now?” Broots asked, as he watched the other two men erase the tire tracks from the mud-covered ground.

“Erasing evidence, what else.”

Broots continued to watch them. Looking down at his watch he noticed that five minutes had passed. He looked back up to see the younger, more skeptical man look out across the lake. Broots knew he had to be careful around him, because he didn’t seem to buy their act.

When the two men came back up, they still stood there, looking out across the lake. Broots looked at his watch again. It has now been nine minutes since the SUV went into the lake, yet no sign of Miss Parker or Jarod. He wasn’t for sure if this was a good or bad sign.

XXXXXXXX

When Broots stepped away from the vehicle, Jarod took the blanket off, but was still lying down on the seat. He watched the top of the ceiling until the headlights disappeared from the cars sitting on top of the hill. He got up and flung his right leg over the backseat. He was just about to bring the other leg over when the SUV bumped up into the air, flinging him back into the seat. He cursed under his breath and tried again. Just when he made it across the backseat, the SUV hit the water, sending his body forward and sideways.

His forehead smacked against the window. Bringing his fingers up to his head, he could already see blood making its presence. Shaking it off, he went over to Miss Parker an unzipped the bag. She was about to sit up, but he gently held her down by putting his hands on her shoulders. He tried not to laugh at the look she gave him.

“They may still be watching us. We need to stay low until the SUV completely submerges.” She slowly shook her head at him and stared at the ceiling. Jarod laid down beside her and looked around. The water was almost to the windows on the outside of the SUV. He could hear the water slowly coming in near the front of the automobile. In a few more minutes, the SUV would be covered in nothing but water.

Jarod looked over at Miss Parker and could see she was still staring at the roof. Trying to reassure her he commented, “Just remember what I told you. Just follow my lead.” She nodded her head up and down, never taking her eyes off the ceiling. He could hear her breathing getting quicker with each passing second. Trying to calm her down, he reached over and put his hand on hers. “It’s going to be okay.” Trying to ease the tension he added, “Hey, remember I’m a lab rat. Us rats know how to get out of sticky situations.”

She let out a soft chuckle to his pathetic attempt at a joke. Jarod smiled back at her and brought his hand back to his chest. He could feel the cold water enveloping his body. It literally took his breath away. Miss Parker let out a soft gasp and grabbed his hand. Jarod could feel her fear through the vice like grip she had on his hand. He looked over at Miss Parker and could see a stray tear come out of her eye. “Jarod,” she said in a low trembling voice.

“Its okay, I’m right here,” he said soothingly. Giving her a reassuring squeeze he slowly got up. They were now completely submerged. He looked up front and could see the water taking over the two front seats. Looking back at Parker he said, “It’s okay. You can sit up now.” She sat up, never letting go of his hand. They scooted their way towards the back.

Looking around wild-eyed she asked, “When?”

“Not yet, we have to wait until the water pressure balances itself out.” He grabbed the tire iron from the floor and held it in his free hand.

The place they just vacated was now filled with six inches of water, and was still rising. The water made it up to their feet. Instinctively, they scooted farther back, but there was no room left. “Jarod, this isn’t going to work. We’re going to drown. We have to get out of here.” Jarod could hear and see the panic coming from her. She turned around and started banging on the back window, trying to break it. Jarod needed to calm her down.

Putting the tire iron in the back of his pants, he grabbed Miss Parker’s wrists. “Miss Parker, you need to calm down. Remember, cooler heads will prevail. I know trust doesn’t come easy for you, but you have to trust me.” He could see her eyes growing wide with fear as the water was now just past their ankles. Trying to get her attention he gently grabbed her face. “Shh, calm down, easy breaths now,” he kept repeating to her. It seemed to work as her breathing lessened to normalcy.

There was a silence between them. The only noises were the rushing water and some creaking sounds coming from the SUV. Jarod looked back over at Miss Parker. She was shaking uncontrollably, her teeth chattering from the cold. She looked over at Jarod and gave him a crooked grin. “Y...you think..I...I.. would be use to the c..co..cold, since I...I’m...the...the ice qqquuueen,” she stuttered out.

Jarod smiled at her comment. “MM...Miss Parker, I know the... the ice queen isn’t the real you. I know its one big...fa...façade. Trying to keep the status quo with the Cen.. Centre.” Jarod rubbed his arms with his hands, trying to keep himself warm. He looked down. The water was now up to their waist.

He looked back over at Miss Parker. She was trying to keep herself warm also. She rubbed her arms and blew air into her hands. Without even thinking of the consequences, Jarod reached out and put an arm around her shoulders. He brought her closer to his body, trying to do whatever he could to keep her warm. At first she hesitated, but then relaxed in his arms. Reaching in his back, he brought out the tire iron.

Jarod looked at his watch and noticed only four minutes had passed since they hit the water. He looked down again. The water was now up to their chests. He reluctantly let go of Miss Parker. He needed to get ready. Thirty seconds later the water was now up to their chins. The air pocket they had in the back of the cab was getting smaller and smaller. Looking at Miss Parker he said, “Get ready.”

Miss Parker nodded and took hold of the coat hanger handle sitting on top the ceiling. Jarod took a couple of deep breaths and went under the water. The water was so dark and murky. Reaching out, he touched the glass and banged the tire iron against the window. After five or six tries, it broke. Removing the broken glass, he grabbed Miss Parker and went through the opening.

Staying close to the vehicle, he made his way towards the passenger side rear tire. Unscrewing the tire cap, he tapped Miss Parker’s shoulder. Miss Parker put her mouth on the cap and sucked the air out of the tire. When Miss Parker looked back at him, he indicated that he was going over to the front passenger side tire, repeating the same thing as he told Miss Parker to do.

They stayed in this scenario for another ten minutes. When Jarod felt that it was safe, he went back over to Miss Parker. On his way over, he felt something against his feet, but just shook it off to fish. He tapped Miss Parker on the shoulders. When she looked at him, he pointed upwards. She nodded to him and started swimming up towards the surface. Jarod was about to do the same thing, but he couldn’t go up. Something was holding him down.

He bent down to feel what it was. It felt like string or rope was entangled with his feet. Jarod tried to pry himself loose, but the rope was caught on something, making him prisoner in the depths of the lake. He tried to get over to the tires to get some air, but he was out of reach.

Panic was now starting to set in as he continued to fight the rope. His lungs were craving for oxygen. He screamed for Miss Parker, but she wouldn’t be able to hear him. ‘I don’t want to die like this,’ he thought to himself. His battle with the rope was becoming less and less as the air in his lungs slowly evaporated. With no fight left in him, Jarod let the blackness take over.

To Be Continued...

XXXXX

A/n: In case you were wondering what scene I was talking about at the beginning of this chapter, it’s the scene where MP and J breathe air from the tires. It felt like it would be something that J would think of in that situation.
Even by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 6

Miss Parker broke through the surface of the lake, gasping for air. Keeping just her eyes and nose above the water she scanned the area. Looking at the muddy trail the SUV came down; there was no one there. She let her eyes wander up the hill. The lake appeared to be deserted. She hoped Broots was okay and wouldn’t breakdown in front of the kidnappers.

The torrent of rain that came down earlier was now a light drizzle. The temperature dropped even more, bringing with it a dense fog. Staying where she was, she treaded in a circle, looking for Jarod. Where was he? Jarod should have come up right after her. “Jarod?” She yelled out. She was starting to get irritated; maybe he was playing a joke. “Jarod, this isn’t funny. Where are you?” She yelled out a little bit louder. Still, no answer. Her frustration was now turning into concern. “Oh no,” she whispered to herself. Taking a deep breath, she plunged back into the water.

The water was dark and murky; she could barely make out her hands in front of her. She swam straight down, thinking the SUV was below her, but she was wrong. Where was he? She reluctantly swam back up, getting more oxygen. When she filled her lungs up, she went back down again.

This time, she swam to her right and made her descent. She made her way to the bottom of the lake. Still, no sign of Jarod or the SUV. She didn’t want to panic, but she could feel it slowly creeping its way through her body. She couldn’t let Jarod die in a watery grave. His life was now in her hands. She had to find him. Miss Parker was about to swim back up again when she noticed in the far distance a soft glow. Feeling hope slowly emerging within her, she swam to the light.

When she got closer to the light, relief rushed through her. It was the SUV. Her lovable moron, Broots, must of left the headlights on. Going around the SUV, she looked for Jarod. When she got to the passenger side, it felt as if someone punched her in the stomach, knocking the air out of her.

Jarod looked lifeless. He was floating aimlessly in the water, with his arms above his head. Why didn’t he float up to the top? She looked down towards his legs and seen the problem. His feet were tangled up in rope. Making her way over, she shook Jarod, trying to wake him, but she got no response. She wasn’t surprised. Feeling the need for air, she went back to the tires to get more oxygen.

When she came back over, she started working on the rope. How in the hell did he get his feet so tangled up? The rope was caught on something. She pulled with all her might, but it wouldn’t budge. The rope was thick; she had to find something to cut it. She had to hurry, who knows how much time Jarod had left, maybe none.

Miss Parker swam back to the SUV looking for anything to cut the rope. She looked and looked, but couldn’t find anything. Going back to Jarod, she followed the rope, hoping to pry it loose somehow. When she got to the end of the rope, she cried out in frustration. The rope was nestled under a large piece of rock. She tried to lift the massive weight, but it wouldn’t move. Feeling the need for air again, she went back to vehicle.

She had to think of something, but what? Parker knew the answer was right in front of her, but what was it? Taking a couple of more gasps of air from the tires, she found her solution in front of her. Lying down by the tire was a broken piece of glass from the back window Jarod broke earlier. Grabbing the shard of glass, she went back to Jarod.

Grabbing the rope with her left hand, she used the right hand to saw her way through the rope. The seconds slowly passed by, but finally, the rope was broken. Taking a hold of Jarod’s shirt, she swam back up to the surface.

Putting her left arm around Jarod’s neck, she made her way back to land. Grabbing him under the shoulders she dragged him out and laid him down on the ground. “Jarod, wake up. Come on, wake up.” She patted his cheeks, but couldn’t get any response. She checked for Jarod’s pulse, but couldn’t get anything. Opening up his mouth, she cleared the passageway. Pinching his nose, she began CPR.

“Jarod, come on now. Please, don’t die on me. I can’t lose you too,” she said while doing chest compressions. Miss Parker didn’t realize she was crying until a tear fell down on his face. Taking another breath of air, she pinched Jarod’s nose, breathing her life into him. Still nothing. Feeling a mix of emotions coming over her, she roughly grabbed Jarod’s shoulder and smacked him in the face. “Damnit, wake up!” She shouted through her tears. “You promised me that I would never be alone in this world. Do you remember? We were kids when you told me that. It was after my mother died. You told me you would always be there for me no matter what. Please, don’t break that promise.”

Putting his head back down on the ground, she continued with the CPR in a frantic pace. After awhile she stopped and looked down at his lifeless form. He was gone. Taking her hand she cupped his cheek. “Jarod,” she whispered out. Bending down, she placed a kiss on his forehead and laid her head down on his chest. “I’m sorry for all the pain I’ve caused you in your life. You didn’t deserve it. Why is it, that whenever someone important dies around me, I’m always to late to tell them how I feel. I...” She was interrupted by his chest moving up and down, coughing out the lake water. Lifting her head up, she looked at Jarod’s face. Seeing he was having a hard time, she lifted up his head and tilted it to the side, letting him spit out the water. She then saw the most beautiful thing she thought she would never see again. His caring brown eyes opened up.

Looking around dazed and confused he asked, “Where am I?”

Helping him sit up she answered, “You’re at Blue Ridge Lake, remember?” She gently patted his back as he hacked and coughed out more water.

“Oh, yeah, I remember,” he whispered out. Turning to her he asked, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine Jarod. Are you alright?” She asked with concern.

Getting up, he rubbed his chest. “I think I’m okay. I feel like I’ve been hit by an eighteen wheeler.” He paused and looked at her. “You saved my life,” he stated. All she could do was nod at him. A smile came to his face, that same smile that could irritate and fluster her all at the same time. She expected some teasing remark to come out of his mouth, but was surprised by what he said. “Thank you.”

“Don’t make me into your hero, because I’m not. Think of it as a way of saying were even. You saved my life with the bulletproof vest, I saved yours from drowning. It’s all in a day’s work.” She was about to walk away when he grabbed her hand.

“You’re bleeding,” he commented.

Looking down at her hand, she saw a small trail of blood. Miss Parker took her hand away from Jarod. “It’s nothing, Jarod. I must of cut it on the piece of glass I used to get you out of the rope. I’ll live.”

“I know that, here.” He took her hand and brought it closer to his face for inspection. Taking his shirt, he cleaned the blood off of her hand. “Well, the cut doesn’t appear to be deep, so you won’t need stitches, but you still need a bandage.” Giving her hand back, he tore a piece of his shirt off. Grabbing her hand again, he tied the strip around it. “There, all better now.”

“Uh, thank you.” She needed to get control of the situation. Jarod’s concern over her well-being was making her feel uncomfortable for some reason. She could feel her icy walls slowly melting around her, making her feel exposed, vulnerable, and she didn’t like it. Snatching her hand from Jarod’s, she turned back around and headed towards the hill. While still walking away she yelled, “Come on lab rat, we have to meet Broots.” She just hoped Broots was still alive an in one piece.

XXXXXX

Twelve minutes after the vehicle went into the lake, the four men turned around and made their way back up the hill. Broots put his hands in his pockets, trying to hide his shaking, due to his ever-growing fear. When they got to the top of the hill, they all got into the car. Broots sat in the back seat, sitting between the southern man and younger man. He didn’t recognize the driver, but he noticed an earpiece in his ear. The kidnapper must be talking through that. The silence in the car was too much. “So, where are we going now?” Broots asked.

No one answered him. Even though he knew Miss Parker and Jarod were helping him, he never felt more alone than he did right at that moment.

They drove for twenty minutes before stopping at a rest stop on the side of a road. The southern man got out, pulling Broots with him. Without saying anything, he got back in the car. Broots started to panic. These men were his last lifeline to his daughter. Before the southern man closed the car door, Broots held it, demanding to be heard. “Please, tell me where my daughter is? Is she...is she...alive. I have to know. I’ve done everything I was suppose to do.” He paused an added with a more harsh voice, “I demand answers, NOW!”

The southern man didn’t seem phased with his pleas. It felt as if Broots was talking to a brick wall. Shoving his hand off the door, the southern man answered, “You’ll get your answers when the time is right. Now, if you’ll excuse us we have to be on our way.”

Broots watched as the door closed and the car sped off, kicking up debris and gravel. Broots ran after the retreating car. “No, don’t go. Please, I just want my daughter back,” he screamed. His screams went unnoticed as he watched the red taillights disappear into the night. Feeling his knees go weak he fell down to the ground, staring absently into the distance. He was praying for some miracle that they would come back, giving him Debbie. Broots prayers went unanswered. Feeling defeated, he got up and headed over to the rest stop, looking for a phone. Just when he put his hand on the receiver it rang.

“Hello,” he answered.

It was the kidnapper. ‘When will this nightmare end?’ Broots thought to himself. “Ah, well if it isn’t everyone’s most lovable moron, Mr. Broots.”

Broots leaned against the wall, feeling all the fight within him leave his body. In a low, barely audible voice he asked, “Where’s my daughter? Is she okay?”

He heard the evil laughter erupt over the line. Broots tightened his grip on the phone, preparing for his world to come crashing down with the news that his daughter may be dead. “Relax, Mr. Broots, your daughter is safe and sound...for now anyways.”

Broots felt only half assured by his comments. “Let me speak to her.”

After a few seconds the kidnapper responded, “Very well then.”

Broots heard shuffling in the background. The voice on the other line brought tears to his eyes. It was Debbie. “Dad?”

“Debbie, oh thank God you’re okay.” Relief taking over his body, he slowly slid down the wall, sitting on his haunches.

“Yeah, I’m fine. When can I come home?” She asked with a shaky voice.

“Soon, sweetie. Remember what I said, just do what they say, okay?”

“Okay”

“I love you, Debbie.” His voice was thick with emotions, but he had to be strong for Debbie.

Broots could hear the tears in Debbie’s voice as she answered back. “I love you too, Dad.”

A couple of seconds later the kidnapper came back on the line. “I see your daughter is a bit more smarter this time. Of course, she doesn’t know where we are because we moved to a different location. I’m glad you told you’re daughter to obey us. The first shot was a warning, but the second one will end her life. Now on to more pressing matters. Since my boys told me that Miss Parker is dead, I will meet you at a 5:45 am, to give you back you’re daughter. Good night, Mr. Broots.”

Broots shot back up an asked rapidly, “Where do I meet you?”

“You’ll receive my instructions thirty minutes before the drop off. Remember, if we see cops, you’re daughter is dead. Don’t try anything funny with me? If you do, it will be the biggest mistake of your life. Oh, I almost forgot, silly me. There should be a phone book underneath the payphone. Inside the book there should be a new cell phone for you.”

Broots opened up the phone book. Inside, there was a small square cut out, just large enough for a cell phone to fit in. “I got the phone.”

“Good. Broots, you need to lighten up a bit. You just killed the wicked witch of The Centre. Just think of it, no more of her bullying or caustic comments towards you. You’re free to live a pleasant life.” The line went dead.

Broots hung the phone up. Slipping the cell phone into his pocket, he pulled out the directions Jarod gave him to the place where he was suppose to meet Jarod and Miss Parker. Taking a deep breath, he walked out of the rest stop, hoping Miss Parker and Jarod were okay.

To Be Continued...
The Real Target? by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 7

Blue Ridge Lake was only two miles away from Miss Parker’s house. They ran through the woods back to Jarod’s car. Once they got in, Jarod drove them to his latest lair. The ride over was in silence. Jarod looked over at Miss Parker. She was staring out the window, with a distant look on her face. Reaching over, Jarod grabbed her hand. It didn’t surprise him that she pulled away. Looking back at the road he commented, “I’m sure Broots is fine, Miss Parker.”

“But what if he isn’t, Jarod? I feel like this whole ordeal is my fault. The whole situation revolves around me. If something bad happens to Broots or Debbie I will never forgive myself.” Miss Parker continued to look out the window, to afraid to look at Jarod.

Jarod pulled off the road and turned onto a gravel-covered trail. In the distance a small house appeared. He drove the car up to the house and pulled to a stop. Turning in his seat, he looked at Miss Parker. “Hey, look at me.” Miss Parker turned her gaze towards him. Her eyes were glistening in the moonlight with unshed tears. He wanted to reach over and hold her, but he knew she wouldn’t accept this, not yet anyways. “This is not your fault. We know this is the entire Centre’s doing. I just don’t understand why Raines would be involved in this. It just doesn’t make sense.”

Miss Parker gave him a puzzled look. “Jarod, it makes perfect sense. Raines knows I’ll never stop looking for answers. Maybe I finally overstepped my boundaries when it comes to his little game.” She paused and looked out the front window towards the house. Turning back to Jarod, there was more determination in her eyes. Her voice turned harder with each word she spoke. “But Raines crossed the line when he involved Debbie. He’ll regret the day he ever met me.” She then opened the door and headed towards the house.

Jarod sat in his car as he watched Miss Parker walk through the front door. There was something still bugging him about Raines being involved in this. But what was it? Letting out a deep sigh, he opened the door and walked towards the house.

When he got inside, he found Miss Parker already working on building a fire in the fireplace. A smile slowly crept upon his face as he watched Miss Parker cursing to herself about the logs not catching on fire. Walking over to her he said, “Here, why don’t you let me do that?”

“Jarod, I’m perfectly capable of building a fire. I don’t need your help,” she replied back with annoyance.

“It seems your having a hard time there.”

Miss Parker didn’t have to turn around to hear the smile in his voice. With a frustrated sigh, she threw the log down and threw her hands in the air. “Fine, you do it then.” She walked over to the window and looked outside.

With the fire started, Jarod looked over at Miss Parker. “I know you have to be freezing with those wet clothes on.” Jarod walked over to the dresser and pulled out some clothes for her. Grabbing a t-shirt, a hooded sweatshirt, and some pajama pants, he went over to Miss Parker. “Here, why don’t you take a shower and put these on. I don’t want you to start getting sick on me.”

Miss Parker turned around, took the clothes and held them up. “These are hardly my style, Jarod, but I guess you have to make due with what you have.” Taking one last glance out the window she headed towards the bathroom. Pausing at the door, she turned around. “Jarod, I just want to say...thank you.” She then quickly stepped in and closed the door behind her.

Jarod was somewhat stunned by the thank you. With a bigger smile on his face, he went into the kitchen. He opened the cupboards and refrigerator, looking for anything to cook, but there was nothing to eat. Getting out a piece of paper, he wrote Miss Parker a note, saying that he was going to the store and would be back in half an hour. He walked to the bathroom door and slipped it under. Grabbing his coat, he headed out the door. He had his hand on the handle when someone knocked on it. Peering through the peephole he found Broots on the other side.

Jarod opened the door. “Come on in. Did anyone follow you?”

Jarod could see how fatigued Broots looked. His voice sounded just as tired. “No, I don’t think so. I did what you told me.” Broots looked around the house. “Is Miss Parker okay? Where is she?”

“Yes, she’s fine. She’s taking a shower right now and should be out pretty soon. I was just heading out the door to get some food. Do you need anything while I’m out?”

Broots shook his head no and walked over to the fireplace, trying to get warm. From the door Jarod commented, “Listen, I have some clothes you can change into over there. Help yourself to anything in the house. I should be back in about half an hour.” Broots nodded to him as Jarod walked out the door.

When Jarod left, Broots sat down on the hearth. He felt like he was on autopilot since the last conversation with the kidnapper, or Raines, as he should be called now. He still didn’t know the reason as to why Miss Parker had to die. It just didn’t make sense to kill the one person who could bring Jarod back.

At first, he always thought Sydney was the reason Jarod never disappeared. But, as time wore on, he realized that Miss Parker was the real reason. They’ve known each other since they were kids. The bond between the two was so strong. They’ve had a few rough patches here and there, but the bond they had between each other could never truly be broken. Not even by the Centre, and the Centre knew that. It would make perfect sense for the Centre. Instead of fighting their relationship, they could use it to their advantage and try to manipulate it.

‘Maybe Miss Parker is not even the true target, maybe its...’ Broots train of thought was interrupted by Miss Parker’s voice.

Broots looked up at Miss Parker, who was standing in front of him. She was dressed in a sweatshirt and pajama pants, with her hair tied up into a towel. Broots gave her a dumbfounded look.

Snapping her fingers in front of Broots she asked, “Hello, earth to Broots. Are you with the living right now, or what?”

“What? Oh yeah, sorry Miss Parker, I was just thinking about something.” He scooted over to make room for her to sit on the hearth. She sat down, rested her elbows on her knees and looked over at Broots.

“You thinking, well, there’s a first for everything.” Broots gave her a sad look. “Broots, I know you have other things on your mind. I guess I just couldn’t pass up a little dig on you. Bad habits are hard to break.” She gave him a weak smile. “So, tell me what happened after you left the lake. Did they tell you if Debbie is okay?”

“After the whole lake fiasco, they took me to a rest stop and dropped me off.” He paused and looked over at Miss Parker. “I received a phone call from the kidnapper again. I was able to talk to Debbie. She’s still alive and well.”

Miss Parker let out a sigh of relief, resting her right hand over her heart. “Broots, I’m so glad she’s okay. Did he say anything else?”

“He gave me this new cell phone.” He took the phone out of his pocket and showed it to Miss Parker. “Our plan seemed to work, because he truly believes that you’re dead. He plans on returning Debbie back to me at 5:45 am. The only catch is that I don’t know where the drop off point is. He told me he would call me at 5:15 am, and let me know where to meet him.” Broots dropped the phone back into his pocket and stared off into the distance in front of him.

Miss Parker reached over and put her hand on his forearm. “There’s something else on your mind. What is it?”

Broots got up and started pacing back and forth in front of the fireplace. Rubbing the back of his head he answered, “I don’t know Miss Parker. This whole thing doesn’t seem right. I’m starting to think that maybe killing you was a lure to get Jarod back. I mean, think about it. The Centre would do anything to get Jarod back, no matter what. If killing you in the process would assure his return, they would do it in a heartbeat.”

Miss Parker grabbed a hold of Broots’ arm, so he would stop pacing and look at her. “Broots, what are you talking about? This isn’t about Jarod it’s about me. I’m the one they’re trying to kill.”

Broots quickly sat back down in the seat he vacated and looked at Miss Parker. “Miss Parker, the more I think about this, the more it makes sense. They know Jarod checks the mainframe in regular intervals. What better way to grab his attention than by putting out a hit on you? With your life in danger, they know Jarod would come out of the shadows to protect you, even if it meant giving up his freedom. I mean, hell, he’s already done it once. Don’t you remember when you got shot in the back at the airstrip?”

Miss Parker slowly nodded to him. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense. Now she was the one feeling fidgety. Getting up, she started pacing back and forth, while rubbing her forehead. “Broots, I hate to say this, but you may be right on this. Raines would be able to kill two birds with one stone. He could get me out of the way by killing me, while getting his prized pretender back.” She paused, stopping in her tracks. With a troubled look on her face, she looked over at Broots. “The cell phone, Broots?”

Broots gave her a puzzled look and pulled the phone out of his pocket. “What about it, Miss Parker?”

She came over and knelt down in front of him. “You said the kidnapper gave this to you, right?” Broots nodded yes to her. “Have you checked it to make sure there isn’t a tracking device on it?”

A smile came onto his face. “Don’t worry, Miss Parker. I’ve already checked it. There’s no tracking system on it.” He paused, looking at the phone in his hand. “However, it appears we won’t be able to put a trace on this phone either, when they do call. They’ve covered all the basics.”

Miss Parker stood back up again and took in Broots appearance. He looked so tired. “Broots, I don’t mean to sound mean, but you look like something the cat dragged in. Why don’t you take a shower and change into some dryer clothes.”

Broots gave her a wry smile. “Well, thanks for the compliment, Miss Parker. I’m glad to see you back to your old self.” He got up from the hearth, letting out a yawn.

“When was the last time you had any sleep?” She asked with concern.

Broots let out a soft, tired chuckle. “It’s been so long, I can’t even remember.”

“Well, after you get changed you need to get some sleep.”

Broots eyes widened. “No. I need to stay awake in case he calls.”

“Broots, don’t argue with me on this. If you want to help Debbie, you need to get some sleep, so you can be more alert.” She walked beside him towards the bathroom and continued; “Don’t fight me on this because you know you won’t win. Besides, I’m still your boss.”

They stopped by the bathroom door. Broots let out a deep sigh. “I know your right, Miss Parker. I just don’t want to be left out of the loop when it comes to my daughter.” Stepping into the bathroom, he looked back at Miss Parker. “I...I just want to say thank you for helping me with finding Debbie. Both you and Jarod.” He then closed the door.

Miss Parker turned back around to add another log to the fire. Sitting down on the couch, she thought about Broots’ theory. Everything seemed to fit together. Raines needed a scapegoat for her death, and who better to fill that spot than none other than Broots. Raines knew Broots’ Achilles heal was Debbie. If Debbie’s life was in danger, Broots would do anything to protect her, including murdering his boss.

Miss Parker could feel the anger building in her. She should of killed Raines when she had all those chances, within the past years. If he succeeded, he would come out of this smelling like roses. If his plan would of worked, she would be dead, Broots and Debbie would probably be dead also, and Jarod might have been captured. And God knows what would have happened to Sydney. She was thankful that Sydney was out of town visiting Nicholas, who knows what Raines would have in store for him.

Feeling chilly, she grabbed the quilt hanging on the back of the couch and wrapped it around her. Lying down, she stared at the fire, watching it dance within the fireplace. Lying there she realized something, she was finally free of the Centre. She couldn’t help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. The only way for her to be truly free from that house of horrors was her own death.

Being free from the Centre also scared her a bit for some reason. Maybe because it was the only life she’s ever known. What would she do out in the real world when this was all over? The uncertainty of her future frightened her. She wrapped the quilt more tightly around her. She continued to watch the flames dance in front of her. Feeling her eyelids getting heavier, she fell asleep on the couch.

XXXXXXX

Blue Ridge Lake

Kevin drove his car to the spot where they dumped Miss Parker’s SUV. He knew he shouldn’t question the boss’ orders, but he still had that nagging feeling that things were amiss. Turning the ignition off he got out of the car. It was starting to rain again. Pulling his hood over his head, he went down to the bottom of the hill.

He couldn’t stand taking orders from that hillbilly idiot, Wayne. How he ever became leader he would never know? When Kevin asked Mr. Broots about dead people sweating, he could see the fear and panic in the man’s eyes. He knew Broots was uneasy about something, and he had a good idea on what that something was, he just needed to find evidence to prove his case to his boss. Maybe even knocking Wayne out of the way, so he could become the leader.

When he reached the bottom of the hill, he took out his flashlight and scanned the area. He walked along the shoreline, moving the flashlight about. He was just about to give up when he noticed something. He knelt down to get a closer look. The grass in front of him was indented, as if someone just recently stood there. Moving the flashlight to his left, he saw footprints in some mud. The prints seemed to be fresh, and were human. Getting up, he moved further down. He stopped in his tracks, when he noticed the blood covered fabric. Picking it up, he rubbed it in his fingers. The blood was still wet and fresh. So, he was right. They were being played for fools. Getting up he headed back to his car.

Opening up his trunk, he got out his scuba gear. Taking the equipment down to the lake, he put the gear on and went into the lake. Turning on his flashlight, he swam down to the bottom of the lake. It didn’t take him long to find the SUV. Going to the back of the cab, he pointed his light into the, well-supposed window. Reaching his hand in, he pulled on the body bag. Of course, he wasn’t surprised that it was empty. Taking the bag with him, he swam back up to the surface.

Once he took off his scuba equipment, he reached into his car and pulled out his cell phone. He waited patiently for his boss to pick up. He couldn’t wait to tell the news to his boss. It may be bad news for him, but it was good news for Kevin. His future looked brighter and brighter with each passing ring. After the sixth ring his boss picked up.

“Yes?”

Kevin kept his tone even, trying to hide the joy from his voice. “Sir, I’m afraid we have a problem.”

To Be Continued...
Looks Can Be Deceiving by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 8

Wayne sat in the back seat of the black Lincoln Towne Car, looking out the window. As the car got closer to the lake, he couldn’t shake the uneasiness that was making its way through his body. The ride over was mostly made in silence. The only noise one could hear was the crying coming from the young girl sitting next to him.

He knew she was scared and tired. Having that blindfold on only frightened her more. Wayne wanted to make sure the girl would get out of this unscathed, but it was probably too late for that. He could only imagine what kind of psychological trauma this will cause her in the future.

The crying seemed to get louder with each passing mile. His boss was sitting in the front passenger seat, rubbing his forehead. Wayne had to do something before his boss would take out his anger on the girl. He leaned over and whispered gently in her ear, “Debbie, I know you’re scared, but you have to calm down. In a couple of more hours this will all be over soon, then you’ll be back with your father.”

Debbie heard the soft, southern voice in her ear. She was glad that Wayne was in the car with her. All the other kidnappers just ignored her and didn’t care about how she was feeling, but Wayne was different. He always made sure that she had something to eat, was warm, and tried to give her some kind of comfort when she started crying or got scared. Turning to the direction of his voice, she meekly nodded to him.

She tried to keep the tears away, but they seemed to have a mind of their own. All she wanted to do was to go home and see her Dad. She could feel her tears running down her cheeks. Trying to stifle the waterworks, she bit down on her lip. But it was no use; the tears kept coming as her thoughts went back to her father.

She missed him so much. Debbie could only imagine what he was going through right now. She still didn’t know why she was kidnapped, but she could count on her father to rescue her from this. He wouldn’t let her down because he was her father, her hero.

XXXXXX

Twenty minutes later, they were at the lake. There was an entourage of three cars that pulled up to Kevin’s car. Looking in the rearview mirror, Kevin winked and smiled to himself and got out of the car. Walking with a confident stride, he went to the car holding his boss.

Shaking his boss’ hand he said, “Sir, I’m sorry about the recent turn of events. I know my apologies aren’t enough, hopefully I will be able to make this up to you somehow.” His boss seemed to ignore him as he walked over to Kevin’s car.

Taking the keys out of Kevin’s hands, his boss opened the trunk. Kevin took out his flashlight, illuminating the trunk as his boss looked at the bag. His boss turned his face back towards him. Kevin took a step back and looked over at Wayne.

Wayne could feel the air escape him as he looked at the body bag. This has to be some trick that little shit, Kevin, was playing. Wayne never liked Kevin from the start. He always felt the kid was to young and stupid for his own good. Kevin was too cocky, and Wayne knew that kind of attitude would get you killed in the end, taking other people with you.

Wayne put on his stone face and looked at his boss. “Sir, we did our tests to make sure she was dead.” He turned his gaze towards Kevin, boring a hole through him. “Kevin did the tests and said that she was dead. I took his word for it because I believed him.”

Kevin stepped up to him. Their faces only separated by three inches. “You son of a bitch! Don’t blame your mistake on me. If you were any leader, you would have double-checked my work. The only person to blame here is you,” he hissed out.

Wayne stood his ground and stared him in the eyes. “Son, you have no idea who you’re dealing with. I suggest you back down before you make a bigger fool of yourself.”

The two men continued to glare at each other, until their boss interrupted their little pissing match. “You both are to blame for this, but only one will pay for their mistake.” Their boss waved his hand at the driver standing by his car. The driver nodded and walked to the back door. Opening the door, he grabbed Debbie by the arm and brought her over.

Kevin and Wayne exchanged confused looks. What was their boss going to do?

Their boss took in the girl’s appearance, and slowly walked around her. When he was facing her again, he took off the blindfold. Their boss grabbed Kevin’s flashlight and shun it in her eyes, making the girl squint.

Wayne took a step forward an asked, “Sir, what are you doing?”

His boss waved his free hand in the air, signaling the other men standing around. Wayne didn’t like this one bit. He felt like a defenseless rabbit, ready to be pounced on by wolves.

His boss continued to play with the flashlight, making the girl cry even more. Reaching his hand towards his back, he pulled out a gun. Throwing the flashlight down, his boss stood behind the girl and pushed her down to her knees. Wayne could feel the panic rising in him. He had to do something. “Sir, killing her is not the solution. She’s our trump card. You can’t kill our trump card.”

“Oh, but Wayne, you forgot one thing. I’m in charge of this. Not you two imbeciles. Figures I would have to clean up your mess.”

Wayne could see the anger and disgust on his boss’ face. Wayne looked down at Debbie and could see her sobbing. He could hear the anguish in her muffled cries as she croaked out, “Please, please don’t kill me.”

He watched as his boss smirked at the young girl before him. “Sorry kid, but it has to be done. Your father betrayed me, now you must atone for your father’s mistake.”

Debbie felt the muzzle being pressed into the back of her head, as the safety was clicked off. “No! I don’t want to die!” she screamed out.

“Sorry kid. I know its unfortunate, but you only have your father to blame.” He paused. “Face it, every child must pay for the sins of their father. I can attest to that.”

Debbie felt all the hopes within her vanish as his words sunk in. She bent her head down and waited for the bullet to end her young life. Closing her eyes tightly, she held her breath. She heard the trigger being pulled, but nothing happened. What was going on? She heard the kidnapper laughing manically behind her. “Relax kid, it was a joke. You know, ha ha.” He patted her on the shoulder and walked away. Debbie laid her head down on the ground, and cried even harder.

Wayne came walking up to his boss. His anger overpowering him, he punched his boss in the face, knocking him into a muddy puddle. “You bastard! How could you do that to her? She’s just a kid for crying out a loud.” Wayne went over to Debbie. He knelt down beside her and held her, trying to comfort the girl.

His boss slowly got up and spitted some blood out. Rubbing his jaw, he walked over to Wayne. His boss had a blank look on his face as he looked down at him. “Wayne, I’m really surprised by your actions tonight. It seems you’ve gone soft on me. Taking up for this little brat is so unlike you.” Kneeling down in front of Debbie and Wayne he continued, “Wayne, that little incident you just pulled a few seconds ago is going to cost you dearly.”

Debbie’s head shot up at the kidnapper’s words. She couldn’t see the kidnapper’s face due to the darkness, and her eyes were still trying to adjust from their recent prison. “What do you mean cost him dearly? What are you going to do?”

Wayne knew his fate. He let go of Debbie and stood back up. Turning back to his boss he said with a defeated voice, “Just don’t do it in front of the kid.”

His boss flashed him an evil grin. “I’m sorry Wayne, but this will be a learning experience for her. It will teach her,” he paused and looked over at Debbie. “Never to cross me.”

Wayne felt two sweepers grab him by the arms. He didn’t fight them as they dragged him a little farther away, but not to far, so he was still in eye shot of Debbie. They pushed him down to his knees. He kept his head down, so he wouldn’t have to look at Debbie when he was shot. For some reason he didn’t feel scared.

Kevin watched all that unfolded before him. He would of never pegged Wayne as the child crusader type. Wayne had a shady past that no one could ever top, yet here he was, ready to die for this girl. Kevin looked to his right and saw his boss walking towards him.

“Kevin, its time to prove yourself to me to see how loyal you are to my plans,” said his boss.

Kevin was all to eager to please. “What do I need to do?”

His boss gave him his gun. “I know you are not to blame for the most recent predicament when it comes to Miss Parker. But, let this be a lesson to you when it comes to future problems. Now, I want you to go over and kill Wayne. One shot, in the back of the head, execution style.”

“I would be much oblige, sir.” Kevin slowly walked over. He’s never killed anyone before, but there’s always a first for something. He took deep breaths as he made his way over. He didn’t like blood, but he needed to get over this childish fear if he wanted to be the new leader. He stepped behind Wayne and pointed the gun to the back of his head. He could feel his hand becoming slick with sweat. Every heartbeat within his body reverberated in his temples. His heartbeat became so loud that it was the only noise he could focus on.

Still bent over, Wayne commented, “It’s not as easy as it looks kid, is it?”

Kevin clenched his jaw at the comment and then fired the shot. He watched as Wayne’s body fell to the ground. Kevin looked up. He saw his boss smile triumphantly at him. Looking behind his boss, he saw the girl screaming and covering her face as she cried into her hands. He looked down at Wayne and saw his head in a pool of his own blood. Bending down, he checked Wayne’s pulse. There was none. Standing back up with more confidence, he went over to his boss.

“Very good Kevin.” Turning to the sweepers his boss yelled out, “Get rid of the body.” Looking back at Kevin he said, “You’ve proven yourself to be a valuable asset. I see a bright future for you.”

Kevin was grinning from ear to ear. Looking over at Debbie he asked, “What about her? And what about Mr. Broots and Miss Parker? We need to make them pay for what they did. We need to kill the girl to prove our point.”

“No, I won’t kill the girl, at least not yet. As for Miss Parker and Broots, I want them to believe they have the upper hand on us. Just when they feel like they’re in control, we’ll take them down with everything we have.”

“Well, what do we do now?”

His boss looked at his watch, then back at him. “We’re leaving, but your coming with us. We need to set our plans in place for later on, when we meet Broots.”

The two men got in the black Lincoln Towne car with Debbie and the driver, driving back to their hideout.

XXXXXX

Jarod's Lair

When Broots came out of the bathroom he found Miss Parker sleeping on the couch. Instead of waking her, he decided to let her get some sleep. He walked about the house and found Jarod’s laptop. Taking the item with him, he walked into the kitchen and sat down at the table. Once the laptop was booted up, he typed rapidly, trying to find any information about Debbie.

After twenty minutes of searching the Centre mainframe, he still couldn’t find anything. Feeling frustrated, he slammed his fist down on the table. Afraid that he woke Miss Parker, he looked back into the living room. He was surprised to still find her sleeping on the couch. Rubbing his eyes, he got up to get himself a glass of water.

He knew Miss Parker was right. He needed sleep, but he couldn’t. Not until Debbie was safe and sound, sleeping in her own bed. This was the ultimate torture for him. Debbie’s life was now in the hands of a madman. What scared him the most was that he couldn’t guarantee that she would come out of this alive. The thought made him shiver. If Debbie died he would never forgive himself.

When he walked back to the table he saw the living room light up. Walking across the floor, he went up to the window, pushing the curtains aside. A smile came to his face as he seen Jarod get out of the car, carrying some bags with him. Going to the door, he opened it to let Jarod inside.

“Here, let me help you with those,” Broots offered. Jarod was grateful and handed him some of the bags.

Walking to the kitchen, Jarod glanced at the sleeping form on the couch. “How’s she doing?”

Broots set the bags of groceries on the counter. “She was asleep when I got out of the shower. I guess, she’s doing as well as can be expected.”

Jarod looked over at Broots with concern. “How about you? How are you holding up?”

Broots leaned against the counter, looking at Jarod. “I’ve have so many emotions running through me right now. I just hate feeling so...so useless.”

“Mr. Broots, one thing you’re not is useless. I know you would do anything for your daughter. I’m sure she knows your doing everything you can to rescue her.” Jarod walked over to Broots and patted him on the shoulder. “She’s lucky to have a father like you.” Jarod walked back to the counter and started unloading the groceries.

Broots followed his lead and unloaded the bags that were near him. His face lit up when he saw the yellow plastic bag. “Jarod, how did you know I like these?”

“Let’s just say a little birdie told me. Besides, I thought you could use some comfort food.”

“Angelo,” Broots said to himself, putting the bag of Funyons down on the table. “Thank you...for everything.” He turned back around rummaging through the bag.

Looking through the bags Broots pulled out some Pez, Oreos, Twinkies, and Cracker Jacks. “I didn’t know you liked Cracker Jacks,” Broots commented.

Jarod turned around and looked at him. “They are a very tasty treat, but they’re not for me, they’re for Miss Parker.”

Broots gave him an astounded look. “I would never of pegged Miss Parker as the Cracker Jack type.”

Jarod turned back around and looked at Miss Parker. “One thing I’ve learned about her is to never assume nothing about her. Once you do, she’ll surprise you.”

Broots noticed the longing in Jarod’s gaze as he looked at Miss Parker. He walked over to him and stood beside him, following Jarod’s gaze. “You care for her, don’t you?”

Broots tried not to laugh as Jarod tried to distract himself, trying to ignore the question. Broots continued, “You don’t need to answer. I can tell by the way you’re trying to avoid the question.”

“Is it that obvious,” Jarod replied jokingly.

Broots just smiled and nodded yes. “Don’t worry though, I won’t say anything.” He went back to putting up the groceries.

Jarod let out a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Mr. Broots.” He hated to do this, but he needed to wake up Miss Parker, so he could fix up the cut on her hand. Walking up to her, he couldn’t help but be mesmerized by her beauty. The way the crackling fire glowed over her face was breathtaking. He didn’t realize he stopped breathing while watching her. Taking a deep breath he knelt down in front of her. He pushed a lock of hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. Whispering softly he said, “Miss Parker, wake up.” No response. He gently shook her shoulders, repeating his previous command. After a couple of seconds she slowly opened her eyes.

“What?” she asked sleepily.

Jarod flashed her his infamous grin. “I need to fix your hand.” He backed away and sat down on the coffee table opposite of her. She sat up and held out her hand. He took off the soiled bandage and cleaned the cut. He poured some peroxide on a washcloth and held it over the cut. “This might sting a bit.”

“I’ll be okay. I’ve handled worse.” She gave him a weak smile and bit her bottom lip.

Jarod dabbed her hand with the washcloth. He stopped when he heard her wince. “Sorry.” Once the cut was cleaned, he wrapped her hand in a freshly made bandage. Holding up her hand he said, “All done.” Without thinking, he quickly pressed his lips to the palm of her hand. Once he realized what he did he apologized profusely.

Miss Parker couldn’t help but chuckle at his rambling and nervousness. “Jarod, it’s okay. I’m not going to kill you or anything. You keep acting like this I might have to start calling you Broots.” She got up and rested her hand on his shoulder. Bending down, she whispered in his ear. “Thank you.” Then walked away into the kitchen.

Jarod gave her a bewildered look. Miss Parker never stopped amazing him. Getting up, he followed her and sat down at the table with Broots, who was still searching for any information.

“Broots, what did I tell you about getting some sleep?” she scolded lightly to the technician.

“Sorry Miss Parker, but I can’t. There’s no way I’m going to get any sleep until I know Debbie is safe.” Broots then turned back to the computer, snacking on his bag of Funyons.

Instead of arguing with Broots she sat down. “Well, have you found anything?”

“No, I haven’t, but I won’t give up.” Broots took a swig of Coke. “Miss Parker, did you tell Jarod about my theory as to why Raines wants you dead.”

“No, not yet.” She looked over at Jarod and started telling him Broots’ theory about whom the real target may be.

When Miss Parker was finished, Jarod stayed silent. After awhile he said through clenched teeth, “How could they do this?”

“Jarod, this is the Centre. They can do whatever they want, no matter who they hurt,” Miss Parker replied back.

“They’re not taking any chances when it comes to me, are they? Even if I didn’t take the bait with the hit put out on you, they knew I wouldn’t stand by when Debbie was kidnapped. Damnit!” In one sweep, Jarod knocked his drink onto the floor, spilling the liquid everywhere.

Miss Parker placed her hand on top of Jarod’s. “Jarod, you need to calm down. I know you’re angry, but you need to start taking your own advice. Remember what you told me earlier, when I wanted to go back to the Centre and find Raines. You told me cooler heads would prevail. And we will.”

Broots also chimed in. “She’s right you know. We all need clear heads if we’re going to get Debbie back.” Broots turned back to his computer and started typing frantically again. Coming to his last resort, he checked his email account at the Centre. He checked his email, finding only one message. There was a video attachment with it. Opening up the email, he gasped at what he saw.

Miss Parker looked over at Broots. “What is it? Did you find something?”

“It’s a video of Debbie.”

Miss Parker and Jarod both got up at the same time, and hovered over Broots’ shoulders. Broots played the video again. Debbie was sitting on a cot crying to herself. After a few minutes, the room became illuminated when the door underneath the mounted video camera opened up. With his back to the camera, Raines came in wheeling his oxygen tank behind him, followed by the younger man that Broots met with earlier at the lake

“Broots, turn up the volume,” Miss Parker said urgently.

“I can’t, Miss Parker. There’s no audio attached with it,” he replied back.

Raines stood in front of Debbie, flanked by his associate. He talked to the girl, but she wouldn’t cooperate with whatever he was saying. They watched as Debbie sat up a little straighter and then spat into Raines face. Raines took out his handkerchief and wiped the phlegm off. Then, out of nowhere, he backhanded Debbie.

“That son of a bitch!” Broots screamed out in anger.

Debbie held her face in her hands, trying not to cry in front of him. Broots could see her bottom lip trembling. They watched as Raines dug into his pocket and took out a vial and syringe. After a few more words, he then plunged the needle into Debbie’s arm. Within minutes the girl was asleep. Raines was just about to turn around when the video went dead.

“When I find him I’m going to kill him,” said Broots. This was the most angriest he’s ever been in his life.

Miss Parker was somewhat surprised by what Broots said. “Broots, killing someone is easier said than done.”

Broots turned to Miss Parker, rage blazing in his eyes. “No one is going to hurt my daughter and get away with it.” He got up and looked out the back window.

Miss Parker turned to Jarod. “Do you have any idea where they may be keeping her?”

Jarod shook his head no. Sitting in Broots’ chair he kept playing the video over an over again.

“What are you looking for?” Asked Miss Parker.

“Something about this video doesn’t seem right. It seems...to orchestrated.” Jarod continued to stare at the screen intently, finally he seen it. “Well, I’ll be damned.”

Broots turned around and looked over his shoulder. “What? What is it?” he asked anxiously.

“Look here.” Jarod zoomed in on Raines’ left hand. A black leather glove covered his hand. Now they knew why they couldn’t see his face.

“It’s...It’s,” Miss Parker mumbled out.

Jarod finished for her. “It’s Mr. Lyle.”

To Be Continued...
Going Alone by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 9

A deafening silence filled the room. It wasn’t Raines that was behind this but Lyle. Broots looked between Miss Parker and Jarod. Both had disgusted, angry looks on their faces. He knew how they felt, except his emotions were ten times stronger. Without saying anything, he got up from his chair, grabbed Jarod’s car keys and went to the front door.

Miss Parker quickly got up, blocking his way. “Broots, what do you think you’re doing?”

“I was just going to have a nice little talk with your brother, that’s all,” he said calmly.

Miss Parker didn’t like the sound of his voice, it had an eerie calm to it. She couldn’t blame Broots for how he was feeling. It seems all her family ever does is destroy the innocent lives that surrounds them. Taking a hold of Broots’ hands she looked him straight in the eyes, emphasizing her words. “Broots, stop and think about what you’re doing. You’re going to Lyle’s place by yourself, with no help. It’s like you’re the mouse being sent into the snake pit. He’ll eat you alive.” ‘And that could literally happen,’ she thought to herself.

Broots let out a deep sigh. “I know you mean well, Miss Parker. But I can’t let you be involved with this anymore. I don’t want to put your life at risk too.” He looked down at their hands then looked back up. “Please, let me rescue my daughter. I can’t stomach the thought of Lyle being around her.”

Jarod came walking up to them, standing beside Miss Parker. “Broots, give me two hours and I’ll have a plan ready. We’ll then go rescue Debbie.”

Broots knew they wouldn’t let him go by himself. He knew they would take drastic measures to keep him here until they were ready to move. Broots decided to go along with them. He needed to play his part convincingly. He let go of Miss Parker’s hands. Walking over to the couch, he sat down and put his face in his hands, pretending that fatigue was starting to take over. He then let out a fake yawn.

“Broots, why don’t you get some rest and let me and Jarod handle the rescue plans?” Broots was about to protest, but she raised her hand in the air. Letting him know there was no changing her mind about this. “If Lyle happens to call, we’ll wake you up and give you the phone, okay?”

Broots acted like he was contemplating her words. After some time he replied back, “Maybe you’re right, Miss Parker. Sleep does sound like the best medicine for me.”

Miss Parker smiled at him. “You should know by now that I’m always right. There’s no point in fighting it.”

Broots let out a soft chuckle. He got up and stretched. Turning around, he saw Jarod’s gun lying down on the counter. He watched as Jarod went back to the laptop. Luck seemed to be on his side. Jarod’s back was facing the counter. Now he just needed to find a way to divert Miss Parker’s attention long enough.

He made his way over to the kitchen. Deciding that now was the time, he pretended that he was having a coughing fit. He was bent over, holding himself up with the counter. The gun was just inches away from his hand. He got the response he wanted when Miss Parker came over standing beside him, patting his back.

“Broots, are you okay?” she asked with worry.

Through the coughing he responded, “Allergies...must be acting up...need some water.”

Miss Parker quickly went over to the sink, filling a glass up with water. With her back towards Broots, he grabbed the gun, sliding it in his pocket. He looked over at Jarod, who was still typing on the laptop. Neither one saw what he just did.

Miss Parker came back over giving Broots the glass. He took a couple of sips, then put the glass back down. “Thanks. Well, I guess I’m off to bed. Wake me if something comes up.” When he walked away he could feel Miss Parker’s eyes on him. He just hoped that she bought his little act. When he got to the bedroom door, he heard Miss Parker coming towards him. “Shit,” he muttered under his breath.

“Broots, aren’t you forgetting something?” she asked skeptically, She reached out her hand, expecting something to be put there.

“Uh, what are you talking about?”

“Broots, don’t play dumb with me. Where is it?”

“Miss Parker, I...uh don’t know what you’re talking about it?” he replied with mocked bafflement.

She let out an exasperated sigh. “The keys, Broots. Give them to me.”

Relief flooded through his body. “Oh, of course. Sorry about that.” He reached in his pockets, giving her the keys.

Miss Parker wrapped her fingers around the keys, then stood there looking at Broots. Feeling uncomfortable Broots asked, “Is there something else?”

Miss Parker couldn’t shake the ominous feeling that was within her whenever she looked at Broots. Things were only going to get worse before they got better. She gave Broots a reassuring smile and replied, “No, there’s nothing else. Good night.”

“Good night, Miss Parker.” He then went into the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

Miss Parker stood there for a few seconds longer, before heading back out to the living room.

When she came into the kitchen she still found Jarod at the laptop. Taking an empty chair, she brought it over by Jarod, sitting down next to him. “How’s it going?” she asked.

“A very tedious job.” He stopped typing, looking over at Miss Parker. “Is Broots feeling better?”

Miss Parker looked back towards the hallway, expecting Broots to be standing there. Satisfied that he wasn’t, she turned back towards Jarod. “I know he’s not doing well. I get the feeling that he’s keeping something from me, but I can’t figure it out. This whole ordeal is just so frustrating. It just amazes me how far Lyle will go to get what he wants,” she said repulsively.

“Power is Lyle’s drug. Just like a drug addict he’ll do whatever he can to satisfy that compulsion. If he has to hurt people along the way so be it, that’s just his philosophy about things, anyone in his way is damned. Unfortunately, Raines and you created a wrinkle in his pursuit to the top.”

Miss Parker sat back in her chair, letting out a sarcastic chuckle. “Some family I have. They make the Manson family look like the Brady Bunch.”

Jarod rested his hand on top of hers. “Miss Parker, I’m sorry about the hand you were dealt when it comes to family. Always remember, you are nothing like them. You are not a Parker but a Jamison.”

Miss Parker gave a weak smile. She felt a tear slowly run down her cheek. She was going to wipe it away, but Jarod reached it first, swiping the lonely tear away with his thumb. His eyes showed so much compassion and love for her, that it nearly broke her heart. After all the things she’s done to him, he still gives her that look that warms her heart, no matter how thick the ice is around it. The look also scared her because she knew he would die for her.

Breaking the silence she asked, “What do you have planned?”

Jarod reluctantly pulled his hand away from hers, turning back towards the computer screen. “Well, I was thinking...” he stopped mid sentence when he saw Miss Parker rubbing her stomach. “How long have you been in pain?”

Her ulcer was starting to act up again. The worry and stress was taking its toll on her, plus she hadn’t taken her medication today. “Jarod, don’t worry about me, I’m fine. We have more important things to deal with right now.”

Jarod didn’t believe her. He watched as she bit her lower lip to stifle the pain. He reached out his hand to touch her forehead. She jerked her head away from him. “What do you think your doing?” she asked.

“I was checking to see if you were running a fever,” his tone laced with frustration.

She got up, putting more space between them. With her hand still resting on her belly she responded, “And I told you that I’m fine. I don’t...” just then, she doubled over from the pain that shot threw her stomach, traveling through her body.

Jarod quickly got up. “Why do you have to be so stubborn about everything? It would save us both a lot of time if you would just let me help you,” his voice tinged with annoyance.

She raised her head back up to respond back, when all of a sudden Jarod picked her up. “What the hell do you think you’re doing? You’re acting like some kind of caveman. Put me down, now!”

When Jarod got to the couch, he gently laid her down. He grabbed some throw pillows from a chair close by and put them under her head. Looking straight into her eyes he said, “Now, I’m going to see if you’re running a fever. Don’t try anything funny.” He then reached out, resting his palm on her forehead. Jarod then laid the back of his hand on her cheeks. Pulling away, he got up and went to the kitchen.

“What’s the diagnosis, *doctor*,” she asked his retreating form. She got no answer. He came back a few seconds later, carrying with him a wet washcloth, a glass of water, and her bottle of ulcer medication. Looking at the bottle she asked, “How did you get those?”

He sat down on the coffee table across from her and gave her a sheepish smile. “While I was out getting some food, I decided to stop by your house. I figured you might need these.” He set the items he was holding down on the table. He then reached behind him, pulling out her gun. “I know how much you love this gun, so I decided to grab it also, along with your medication.”

“You think of everything don’t you?” She tried to sound venomous, but her voice betrayed her.

Jarod flashed her a smile. “Here, take these,” he offered to her. He watched as she popped the pills into her mouth, and then drank some water. She handed him back the glass and set it aside. “Now, I want you to lay back and rest for a bit. Your head feels warm, but I think you’ll be okay. I got this cold compress for you to put on your forehead.”

‘This is ridiculous,’ she thought to herself. She went to sit back up, but Jarod pushed her back down again. “Jarod, you’re really starting to irk me. You need me to help you. Besides, I can’t sit around and do nothing.”

“I know I need your help. I haven’t denied that, but you need to rest and get better. Humor me, okay?

She gave him a baffled look. “Fine.”

He let out a sigh and put the washcloth on her forehead. “Now rest, okay? Doctor’s orders,” he said with mocked sternness.

Miss Parker tried to stifle her smile, but she couldn’t. “Whatever you say doctor.”

Jarod stood back up. He grabbed the quilt that was sitting by her feet and pulled it up over her. He had to catch himself for a second, as he was about to lean down and place a kiss on her cheek. He quickly stood back up and went back to his laptop, looking for a way to get Debbie out of this safe and sound.

Meanwhile, Broots was in his bedroom, pacing back and forth. He hated lying to Miss Parker and Jarod, but this was something he had to do. He couldn’t wait any longer. Each passing second to him felt like he was slowly killing his daughter, the only family left in his life.

As much as he appreciated Jarod and Miss Parker’s help, he didn’t want them to risk their lives for him. He knew he would be walking into the lion’s den, but it had to be done. He couldn’t sit back any longer. Looking over at the clock on the nightstand, he knew it was time.

Broots walked over to the window. “This is it, it’s now or never,” he said to himself. He unlocked the window and slowly hoisted it up. He paused for a couple of seconds, listening for footsteps outside of his door. There was none. Taking a deep breath, he lifted one leg over, then the other. Once his whole body was completely outside, he closed the window.

Scurrying among the shadows, he reached Jarod’s car. He slowly eased the door open. Putting the car in neutral, he pushed the car down the hill then jumped in. When he felt like he was a safe distance from the house, he stopped the car and put it in park. Maneuvering his body, he reached under the dashboard, trying to jumpstart the car. After a couple of minutes the car purred to life. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he put the car in drive, heading towards Lyle’s house.

To Be Continued...
Need Some Help by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 10

Broots rubbed his eyes as he drove through the small town streets. He was going as fast as the speed limits would allow. The last thing he needed was to be pulled over by a cop. It would only make the situation worse.

After awhile, he finally saw Lyle’s house in the distance. Slowing the car down, he turned off the headlights, driving past the house, looking for any signs of sweepers. Satisfied that nothing seemed out of place, he parked the car down the street, away from Lyle’s house. Reaching over into the passenger seat, he grabbed the gun. He couldn’t help but get a déjà vu feeling from his. Only hours ago, he did the same thing in front of Miss Parker’s house. Shaking the bad memory away, he took a couple of deep breaths and stepped out of the car.

As he walked towards Lyle’s house, he made sure to hide among the shadows. He didn’t want a nosy neighbor to call the police saying there was a strange man walking the streets this late at night.

When he finally reached Lyle’s house, he stayed low to the ground while running towards the back of the house. Hiding behind a bush, he looked around him. All the lights were off inside the house. He didn’t see Lyle’s car parked on the street or the driveway. Taking out a small flashlight, he went over to the garage and looked in the windows. Lyle’s car was nowhere to be found. He turned off the flashlight and put it back in his pocket. Knowing Lyle wasn’t home would make this somewhat easier.

He walked back over to the house and knelt down beside a basement window. Taking the gun out, he smashed the window in. He stayed still, listening and looking out for any neighbors waking up. The night remained undisturbed. Letting out a deep breath, he unlocked the window, letting himself in.

Broots reached back into his pocket for the flashlight. He turned it on, pointing the light down towards the ground. With the flashlight in one hand, he kept the gun in the other. Lyle’s place definitely gave him the creeps. He walked around, looking for any secret doors, but there was none. Going to the stairs he nearly jumped out of his clothes as he heard a loud rumbling. What the hell was that? He spun around wildly, looking for the noisemaker. When his flashlight fell upon the disturbance, he chided himself for being such a scaredy cat. “Damn furnace,” he muttered to himself. Turning back around he went up the stairs.

He winced as he opened the basement door. Luckily, no squeaking came from the hinges. Broots turned off the flashlight and put it back in his pocket. The moonlight and streetlight provided enough illumination within the house, but he still kept his gun drawn. He checked the second and third floors, but still no sign of Lyle or Debbie. He looked in the closets also, making sure there were no secret rooms hidden behind the walls. Since Lyle was nowhere in the house he went into the study. Maybe the key to finding Debbie would be in there.

Broots walked hurriedly to the desk and sat down on the black leather desk chair. Putting the gun down on the desktop, he rifled through the drawers, looking for any information about where Debbie was being kept. Still nothing. Growing frustrated, he slammed his fists down on the desk. “Where are you Debbie?” he said to himself.

He leaned back in the chair and looked around. Seeing a small file cabinet in the corner, he quickly got up and headed towards it. Broots tried opening the cabinets, but they wouldn’t budge since they were locked. Remembering a letter opener he seen in one of the desk drawers he went and got it. Squatting down in front of the cabinet, he worked the lock with the opener. After about five minutes the cabinet finally popped open. Taking out his flashlight again he went through the files.

After awhile he let out a defeated sigh and sat against the cabinet. There was still no information about Debbie’s kidnapping. He felt the answers were right here in front of him, but where? Looking back up at the desk he saw it. How could he have been so blind? As if to emphasize his point, he hit the side of his head with his hand, as if knocking some sense back into him. He scurried back over to the chair, flipped open the laptop, and turned it on. He was just about ready to type in some commands when he heard a car pull into the driveway. Getting up, he went over to the window and peaked through the blinds. His anger and fear came flooding back to him as he saw who stepped out of the car. It was Mr. Lyle.

XXXXXXXX

Jarod's Lair

Jarod looked down at his watch. An hour had past since he put Miss Parker down on the couch, and still he didn’t have anything to help find and rescue Debbie. Deciding he could use a small break, he got up from his chair to fix another pot of coffee. While waiting for the coffee, he leaned against the counter, thinking about everything that has played out in past couple of hours.

Everyone knew Lyle wanted power. That was no big surprise. Lyle wanted everything. It just amazed Jarod how far Lyle would go to get that power, but he was slowly starting to understand why Lyle did it.

Raines and Miss Parker were two very large speed bumps that slowed Lyle down on his road towards power. For Lyle, there was only one way to take care of this, by taking them out of the picture. As extra insurance, this would lure the pretender out of hiding when he found out that Miss Parker was in danger. That way in case anyone found out about his little plan he could always say that he brought the prized pretender in, making him seem all to important to the Triumverate.

Then Lyle had to involve Broots and Debbie. At first, Jarod didn’t understand why Lyle would want Broots to be the hitman, but everything was now starting to come full circle. With Debbie’s life in danger, Broots would do anything to protect her, including murder. And what better way to get rid of Miss Parker, than by having Broots kill her. Lyle knew Miss Parker’s defenses would be down when she was with Broots. It would be the person you would least expect to harm or kill Parker. Then, having Willie bring the cell phone over to Broots’ house was almost pure genius.

If Willie was in the picture, then Raines couldn’t be too far behind. And that’s where Raines would come in. Lyle needed a scapegoat for this whole fiasco, and who better to set up than Raines. So, when all was said and done, Broots would’ve killed Miss Parker. Broots and Debbie would most likely ended up dead also, cause there couldn’t be no witnesses to go against Lyle. Raines would have been blamed for the kidnapping an ordered assassination of Miss Parker. Plus, Jarod might have been thrown in as an extra bonus. ‘Lyle is truly a sick man,’ Jarod thought to himself.

Grabbing a mug from one of the cabinets, Jarod poured himself a steaming mug of the black liquid, adding some sugar and cream to the mix. He continued to ponder his thoughts when he noticed something was amiss in the kitchen. What was it? He looked around, but he couldn’t figure it out.

He walked out of the kitchen with the mug towards Miss Parker. She was still asleep, clutching the quilt to her. Jarod bent down and felt her forehead. She was still a little warm, but not as bad as before. He stood back up again and decided to go outside and get some fresh air.

When he stepped on the porch he was in for a shock. Where was the car? Putting the coffee mug down on the railing, he ran to the spot where the car was parked. He noticed tire tracks going down the hill, but another thing that stood out were shoe prints. Jarod followed the trail of prints and stopped outside of Broots’ window. “Damn,” Jarod muttered to himself. Turning on his heels, he ran back into the house.

Miss Parker woke up to the sound of the door flying open, knocking against the wall. “What the hell?” she said with annoyance.

While running past the couch Jarod said breathlessly, “Broots is gone!”

Miss Parker threw the quilt off of her and bolted off of the couch. “What do you mean he’s gone? We’ve been guarding the door, plus I took the keys from him.”

Jarod came out of Broots’ room, walking back into the kitchen. “Well, he’s gone. He must have snuck out of the window and jumpstarted my car.”

Miss Parker followed Jarod into the kitchen. “I can’t believe he would do this. This was a stupid move on his part.” She paused an added, “What are you looking for?”

Jarod slammed the last drawer he was looking in. “My gun. I know I brought it in here. Broots must have taken it somehow. We have to find him before he gets himself killed,” Jarod said with urgency.

“Do you think he went to Lyle’s house?” she asked even though she knew the answer.

“Yes, I’m afraid he did.” Jarod ran past her and went into another bedroom. Miss Parker followed closely behind.

“Jarod, how are we going to get to Lyle’s house in time to stop Broots? He took are only mode of transportation,” she asked.

Miss Parker watched as Jarod started packing all kinds of items into another backpack. “Lucky for us, I have a motorcycle parked in the back. We’ll just have to use that. C’mon.” He grabbed the keys off the dresser and ran past her again. He came back seconds later with the clothes she had on earlier. “I’ve already washed these for you. Go ahead and change and then we’re out of here.”

Miss Parker took the clothes and quickly ran out of the room towards the bathroom. Once she was dressed she found Jarod hovering over the laptop. He typed on the keyboard a few more seconds, then turned it off and put it in his bag among his other items. He looked up at her an asked, “Are you ready?”

She walked over to him and took one of the helmets from his hands. “As ready as I’ll ever be.” She paused an added, “But, if Lyle doesn’t kill Broots, I will.” Even though she was angry with Broots for doing this, she prayed that he was alive an okay.

Jarod smiled at her comment. “You really do care about Broots, don’t you?”

She stopped in the doorway, and looked at Jarod. Her demeanor softened, while her voice took on a worried tone. “Jarod, in some ways, he’s the brother I never had.” She then quickly turned back around and went outside.

Jarod picked up his bag and helmet, quickly following her out. He ran down the deck steps, meeting her by the motorcycle. “Here, you need to put this on your back.” He offered her the backpack and continued, “We can still talk to each other through these helmets.” Miss Parker just nodded to him as she put the backpack on. Jarod swung his leg over the motorcycle and turned on the engine. The motorcycle purred to life without any problems. Jarod felt the cycle bounce down as Miss Parker climbed on.

Miss Parker looked for something to hold onto, but there was nothing. “Jarod, what am I suppose to hold onto?”

“Me,” he simply said as he smiled to himself.

Miss Parker let out a sigh, laying her hands on Jarod’s side. “Fine, let’s go.”

Jarod turned around and looked at her. “Oh, and Miss Parker?”

“Yes?”

“You might want to hold on tighter.” He flashed her that cocky smile of his as he flipped down the visor on his helmet. Turning around he put the motorcycle in drive and sped out of the driveway. Without thinking, Miss Parker held on tighter by wrapping her arms around Jarod’s waist.

“I bet you’re just loving this, Jarod,” she said sarcastically.

Jarod let out a soft chuckle. “What’s not to love? I have a beautiful woman holding onto me for dear life. By the way, you might want to loosen up your grip, so I can breathe.”

Miss Parker could feel her cheeks becoming flushed. Thank god, Jarod couldn’t see her. She loosened her grip a little, but still had her arms around his waist. “Jarod?”

“Yes?”

“Shut up and pay attention to the road,” Miss Parker tried to sound caustic, but Jarod could hear the smile in her voice.

“Whatever you say, my lady.” He then gunned the motorcycle, making it go faster.

XXXXXXXXX

Lyle's House

Broots watched Lyle as walked up the walkway. He turned back around and turned off the computer. He didn’t know how, but he made it down the steps before Lyle opened the front door. He could hear the footsteps coming closer as Lyle walked up the porch steps. He took a couple of deep breaths, and reached in his pocket for the gun. His confidence quickly evaporated when he couldn’t find the gun. Broots patted himself frantically, but there was no gun. With dread, he knew where it was. It was still sitting on Lyle’s desk. Unfortunately, he didn’t have time to go running back upstairs to get it. Grabbing the closest weapon he could find, he hid behind the door hoping this would turn out in his favor.

Broots held his breath as he heard Lyle’s keys jangle in the lock. After a couple seconds, the door opened as Lyle let himself in. With Lyle’s back facing him, Broots lifted up the vase he was holding and smashed it on top of Lyle’s head. Lyle instantly fell to the floor. Broots quickly ran past him and went up the stairs. When he came back down the stairs, Lyle was nowhere to be found. “Oh no,” Broots muttered to himself.

Going down the stairs more slowly, Broots held out the gun in his shaking hands. Broots saw a small trail of blood on the carpet, which ended by a closet. His heart was pounding as he reached out a shaky hand to open the door. Taking a deep breath, he swung the door open. He was surprised to find no Lyle. Where was he? Broots let out a small sigh of relief as he closed the door. When Broots turned back around he came face to face with Lyle, who had a small stream of blood running down his face.

“Hello, Broots. Long time no see,” Lyle said with a smirk. Before Broots could react fast enough, Lyle knocked the gun out of Broots’ hands. Broots quickly went past Lyle and lunged for the gun. He felt Lyle jump on top of him as he struggled to reach the gun. He was so close, that his fingertips were grazing the cold metal, but he couldn’t get a grip on it. Just when he thought he had it, Lyle suckered punched him in the ribs, jolting him forward. Broots watched in horror as the gun fell down the basement stairs. It was his only protection against Lyle.

Lyle jumped off of Broots, going over to the fireplace. Broots quickly turned on his back. He got half way up when he seen Lyle coming towards him, hiding something behind his back.

“Broots, tell me. Why are you doing here? Do you have a death wish or something? You break into my house and start attacking me. Did my sister send you here to do her dirty work?” Lyle continued to slowly walk towards Broots. Feeling stronger with each step.

Broots began backing away until there was nowhere else to go, as he smacked against the wall. He put his hands up in self-defense, preparing for anything. “You know why I’m here, you son of a bitch. Where’s Debbie?” Broots wanted to sound strong, but his voice came out scared and nervous.

Lyle stopped mid stride and looked down at the frightened technician. “What are you talking about? How should I know where your daughter is?” Baffled by the question.

Broots slowly inched his way up the wall. “I know what you’re up to, but you won’t win. I have Miss Parker and..,” Broots stopped himself before he said Jarod’s name. He didn’t want Lyle to know that Jarod was helping him.

“You have my sister and who else, Broots?” Lyle said with smugness. Broots didn’t answer. Lyle let out a soft chuckle as he walked up to Broots. “That’s what I thought.”

Broots could feel the panic fluttering through him. “Please, just tell me where my daughter is? For once, do something good in your life and tell me where she is.”

“Like I said before, I have no idea where your daughter is, but you’ll pay for attacking me not to long ago.” Lyle brought out the fire poker he was hiding behind his back. Broots watched in horror as Lyle lifted it above his head, ready to swing at Broots.

“Say good night, Broots,”

To Be Continued...
What's Lyle's Story? by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 11

Broots had to think of something, and fast. He sunk back down the wall, curling himself into a ball, covering his head with his hands. “No, No, No. Please don’t.” Being in the uncomfortable position, Broots felt something jab him in the side. Sneaking one of his hands down into his pocket he realized what it was. The flashlight. He smiled to himself now knowing what to do. “Uh, Lyle, may I suggest something?”

Lyle eased the poker down a couple of inches. “What?” he asked impatiently.

“You might want to put on some sunglasses,” suggested Broots.

Lyle gave him a baffled look. “Sunglasses? What are you talking about? Why would I need those?”

“Because of this.” Broots quickly brought out the flashlight. Shining the light into Lyle’s eyes. Lyle flinched at the abrupt brightness, taking a step back. Broots got his diversion, as he quickly got up and headed towards the back door. He cursed to himself as he tripped over his own feet, falling hard onto the ground. He tried to get back up, but Lyle was already there.

Lyle looked like the cat that ate the canary, as he looked down at Broots. He twirled the fire poker in his hand as he circled around Broots. “My, my, my, Broots. Aren’t we the brave little soldier? When did you start growing a pair?” asked Lyle tauntingly.

Broots didn’t like the look in Lyle’s eyes. “I...I’m just trying to find my daughter. Desperate times call for desperate measures. She’s been kidnapped. I thought you were behind it, but I can see that was wrong. Please, just let me go. I’m so sorry for the misunderstanding.”

Lyle’s smile only got broader. He brought the fire poker back up towards his face, looking at it with amusement. “You’ve got to love these things. You wouldn’t believe how much pain and torture one can inflict with this.” Lyle looked back down at Broots, who was now shaking, eyes wide open with fear. Kneeling down beside Broots, he added, “Let’s see if I can find another way to inflict pain.” Standing back up again, Lyle brought the fire poker over his head. He was just about ready to swing down, when he heard the safety of a gun clicking off from behind him.

“Drop it, Lyle. Now!”

Lyle slowly eased his arms down. “Well, if it isn’t dear old sis. Come to join the party,” he said as he dropped the fire poker on the floor.

With the gun trained on Lyle’s head, Miss Parker slowly made her way around him. She ignored Lyle’s comment. Still keeping her eyes on Lyle she asked, “Broots, are you okay?”

Getting up he replied, “Yes.” Broots looked around the kitchen, but didn’t see Jarod anywhere. Turning his attention back to Miss Parker he asked, “He doesn’t know where Debbie is.”

Miss Parker continued to glare at Lyle. “Where is she, Lyle?” she demanded, pressing the muzzle to his temple.

Lyle held his hands up in mock defense. “Like I’ve said before, I have no idea what you two are talking about. I’m really getting tired of being everyone’s whipping boy when something goes wrong.”

Miss Parker took a step closer, standing mere inches in front of Lyle. “Well, Lyle, I’ve learned from past experience, that when something does go wrong you’re not to far behind. You just can’t keep your grubby little hands clean, can you?”

Lyle just rolled his eyes, giving her a bored look. “Are you done? As much fun as this has been, I’m afraid I’m going to have to call it a night.” He turned his gaze on Broots, who scurried behind Miss Parker. “Broots, remember I still have to teach you a lesson about fire pokers.” He flashed Broots a mischievous grin, and then turned on his heels as he prepared to leave.

Miss Parker, however, had other plans on her mind. Reaching out her arm, she roughly grabbed Lyle by the shirt collar and threw him down on a chair. “Sorry, Lyle, but you’re not getting out of this that easy. Now, do you want to do this the easy way or the hard way? I’ve got plenty of time to make your life a living hell.” She gave him a predatory smile.

Lyle was starting to get angry. How dare she barge into his house like this? “Who the hell gives you the right to offer such ludicrous demands? Do you know where you are? You’re at my house, pointing a gun at my head, threatening my life. I’ve had enough of your crap.” Lyle abruptly stood up. “I’ll give you ten seconds to leave my house, before I call the police.”

Miss Parker just laughed at his demand as she pushed him back down again. “Little brother, thanks for saying that. I needed something to laugh at.” She then looked down at Lyle with seriousness. “Now, I’ll say it again, the easy way or the hard way.”

Lyle scoffed at her. “Sis, you’re all words and no action.”

Miss Parker smirked at him. “Well, I’ll guess it’ll be the hard way.” She brought her left hand up to Lyle’s hair. She pretended that she was flicking items out of his hair. Focusing on the gash on top of his head she commented, “Lyle, this cut looks pretty nasty. It would be a shame if something bad gets inside, infecting it.”

Lyle was starting to become bored again. He laid his hands in his lap. “This must be my torture, boring me to death, huh?” He looked up at her. “And you’re doing a good job at it, because death would be more enjoyable than this.”

Miss Parker continued to smile at him as she rubbed his hair away from his face. Then suddenly, she dug her fingers into the cut. She got the response she wanted when Lyle yelped out in pain.

“You crazy bitch!” he muttered out. The pain was unbearable, but he kept his tears at bay. He wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of seeing him cry.

“And don’t you forget it.” To emphasize her point, she dug her nails deeper into the cut. “I guess we’re going to have to do this the hard way. Now, where’s Debbie,” she growled out.

Through clenched teeth Lyle replied. “I don’t know where she is. I had nothing to do with her kidnapping.”

“Liar!” she yelled out.

“It’s the truth.”

“Lyle, you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘truth’. All you ever do is tell lies.” Miss Parker looked over at Broots. “It’s time we take more drastic measures, since little brother isn’t so forthcoming with me.” Looking at the kitchen drawers she told Broots to grab a knife.

Broots came back over, but didn’t give her the knife. “Miss Parker, what are you going to do?”

“I’m just going to play a nice little game called ‘how much do you love your remaining thumb’,” Miss Parker grabbed the knife from Broots’ hand. Grabbing Lyle’s right wrist, she held his hand firmly down on the table, letting the blade hover over his thumb. “Lyle, let’s start over again. Where’s Debbie?”

Lyle gave Miss Parker a cold look. “Like I keep on saying, I don’t know where she is. Man, I sound like a broken record.”

Miss Parker just gave him a wicked smile. “Wrong answer.” She let the cool blade touch his thumb, but didn’t push down. She looked up at Lyle. His face remained calm, but she could see the fear in his eyes.

“Wait, wait, wait,” he said rapidly. “If you would just let me finish, I’ll tell you why I have nothing to do with the kidnapping.”

Miss Parker pulled the knife back up an inch. “Fine, you’ve bought yourself a minute. Now start talking.”

Lyle let out a deep breath and looked back into Miss Parker’s eyes. “Well, the reason why I have nothing to do with Debbie’s kidnapping is because I’ve been stuck in jail for the past twenty four hours.”

“For what?” asked Broots.

“Last night I went to a bar and got pretty drunk. I drove my car for only a minute before a cop pulled me over. I was arrested and charged with drunk driving. They kept me in a cell, to sleep it off. Plus, it didn’t help matters when I fought with the arresting officer.”

Miss Parker just shook her head in disbelief. “How do I know you’re not lying?”

“Call the police station. They’ll back up my story,” he replied with annoyance.

While Miss Parker and Broots were in the kitchen with Lyle, Jarod was out in the living room typing on his laptop. He hacked into the Blue Cove police records, looking for anything about Lyle Parker. After a couple of seconds, he got a hit. Lyle was indeed arrested last night for a DUI and kept in jail for the past twenty-four hours. To make sure this wasn’t some bogus report, Jarod hacked into the security system. Sure enough, there was Lyle, sleeping off his drunken stupor. Jarod didn’t know what to think. If Lyle didn’t kidnap Debbie, then who did?”

To Be Continued...
Facing The Truth by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 12

Miss Parker sat in a chair facing Lyle as Broots called the Blue Cove police station. She had the knife in one hand and the gun in the other, pointed at Lyle. Miss Parker still didn’t know what to think. She had a feeling Lyle was up to no good, but what was it? Lyle looked like the picture of serenity, sitting over there all calm and collective. She would love nothing more than to wipe that smirk off his face.

Lyle tilted his head to the side an asked with amusement, “What’s the matter, sis? You look...troubled.”

Miss Parker sat up straighter. “The only thing troubling in this room is you. Of course, that problem can be taken care of with a bullet.”

Lyle just smiled at her. “Touché, touché.”
After Broots hung up the phone he walked back over to Miss Parker. “Well, what did they say?” she asked.

Broots cleared his throat. He never liked being the bearer of bad news when it came to Miss Parker. “Lyle’s story holds up. He was pulled over last night, or actually the night before, at 9:08pm. He fought with the arresting officer, causing him to stay longer in jail. He was let out today at 2:02 am. Everything seems to check out, Miss Parker.”

“Are you satisfied now?” asked Lyle smugly.

Miss Parker rubbed her forehead, pinching the bridge of her nose. She hated to admit this, but maybe Lyle was telling the truth. There’s always a first for something. She was broken out of her reverie by Broots’ voice. “What do we do now?”

“I don’t know,” she whispered to herself.

Broots could see the uncertainty written across Miss Parker’s face. He leaned back against the counter and hung his head low, letting out a defeated sigh. He was so sure that Lyle held the key to Debbie’s whereabouts. It felt like he was running in circles, making no progress. When he looked back up again he saw Jarod walking into the kitchen, standing behind Lyle. He looked over at Miss Parker who gave Jarod a puzzled look. If Lyle saw Jarod, they could both be in a heap of trouble.

Lyle noticed Broots and Miss Parker staring at something behind him. He didn’t like it. He could feel the hairs on the back of his neck rising. When Lyle brought his hand up to rub the back of his neck, someone grabbed it. “What the hell?” When he turned around he couldn’t believe it. It was Jarod. ‘Great, perfect ending to a perfect evening,’ he thought to himself sarcastically. He looked back over at Miss Parker, expecting her to do something.

Miss Parker bit down on her lip to keep herself from laughing. Quirking an eyebrow up at Lyle she asked, “What’s the matter, Lyle? You seem a bit....troubled.”

“Do something,” he growled out.

Miss Parker shook her head sadly at him. “Sorry, no can do.” She then let her gaze fall upon Jarod. “Did you find out anything?”

Jarod gave Lyle a disgusted look, throwing his hand back down. He sat down in the seat between Miss Parker and Lyle. Setting his laptop on the table, he turned it on and gave it to Miss Parker.

Broots stood behind Miss Parker, leaning down to look at the screen. Just like the phone call earlier, they found police reports and the security tape of Lyle in jail. Broots looked back at Jarod. “If Lyle didn’t do it, then why is he being set up?”

Before Jarod answered, Lyle chimed in. “What are you talking about? Who’s setting me up? And for what?” he demanded. No one answered him. Feeling irritated, he slammed his fist down on the table. “I have a right to know,” he spat out.

Taking the laptop from Miss Parker, Jarod typed in some commands. When he got what he needed, he let Lyle have the laptop. Lyle watched the video of Debbie that was sent to Broots’ email. When he was done watching the video he looked back up. “I can’t believe this. You three come barging into my house, because you thought I set this all up. Do you really think I would dress up like Raines, and forget something foolish as my leather glove? Please, if I was really behind this, which I’m not, I would have made sure to leave no clues.” He paused an added, “No one likes a messy crime.”

Miss Parker leaned forward, resting her elbows on the table. She look at Lyle with such intensity that Lyle shrunk back a little in his chair. “It’s been my experience Lyle, that if it looks like crap, smells like crap, it’s most likely crap.” Leaning back in her chair she asked, “Lyle, I know you know things, so tell me, who put a hit out on me?”

Lyle shook his head. “Here we go again. Time to pull out the conspiracy card when something goes wrong. What makes you think I know anything about that?”

“With me dead, it leaves the path open for other people, or in your case, flesh eating monsters in charge of the Centre.”

Lyle couldn’t help but smile at the little nickname. “Flesh eating monster, that has a nice ring to it. I wonder if I could put that on my business card.” Through his laughter he said, “Flesh eating monster, at your service.”

Jarod was getting annoyed at Lyle. Bolting up from his chair, Jarod grabbed Lyle by his tie, pulling him up. “Listen here you son of bitch! Time is of the essence. It’s time you start sobering up and get serious. Someone has kidnapped Debbie, using her against Broots. The only way for Broots to get Debbie back is to kill Miss Parker. Also, there is someone out there who is trying to put this all on you.” Emphasizing his point, Jarod tugged harder on the tie. “Now, do I have your complete attention?”

Lyle could feel his airway become smaller and smaller. He tried to push Jarod’s hands away, but they were too strong. He tried to answer Jarod, but nothing would come out. Instead, all he could do was shake his head up and down.

“Good.” Jarod threw Lyle back down onto the chair.

Lyle was seething. The only thing running through his mind at the moment was that Jarod would pay for what he just did. Bastard. He loosened his tie, rubbing his neck. “Well, Jarod, since you’re such a genius, what do we do?”

“I say it’s time we pay Mr. Raines a visit.”

XXXXXXXX

Kidnapper's Lair

Kevin walked into the dimly lit room. Walking over to a TV monitor, he saw Debbie in her room crying, curled up in a fetal position on the cot. Satisfied at the sight, he sat down in a chair and grabbed a magazine. This was the part he hated. It was now a waiting game. He looked down at his watch, just another hour or two before the drop off went down.

The magazine didn’t do anything to curb his boredom. Looking back at the monitor, he found a way to pass the time, while having a little fun also. Throwing the magazine down on the table he headed down the hallway towards Debbie’s room.

XXXXXXXX

Lyle's House

Broots didn’t like the sound of that. Raines always gave him the creeps, more so after that crazy dream he had of him and Miss Parker, while they were in Vegas. “Mr. Wiggles,” he said under his breath, shaking the image out of his head.

“What did you say, Broots?” Miss Parker asked.

“Hmm, oh nothing. Just rambling to myself.” Looking at Jarod he asked, “Are you sure it will be a good idea to go to Raines’ house? His place has to be crawling with sweepers.”

“It’s the only option we have left. If we can’t get anything from Raines, then we’ll have to wait for the kidnapper to call about Debbie, and that could be walking into a lion’s den,” replied Jarod.

Lyle rolled his eyes at Broots. “Suck it up, computer man.” Changing the subject he asked, “Is it alright if I use the restroom. I’ve got blood oozing and drying up on my face?”

“Fine. Jarod, you go with him. Make sure he doesn’t try anything funny,” answered Miss Parker.

“I’m truly hurt, Parker. It’s a sad day when you can’t trust family,” he said, feigning the hurt in his voice, while grinning at her.

“Family? Please,” she scoffed.

When Jarod and Lyle were out of the room, she turned her attention to Broots. She was still angry with him for what he did. Getting up, she walked over to Broots. Pushing him up against the wall, she stood mere inches from him. “Since they’re out of the room it’s time you an I had a little talk.”

Broots didn’t like this. He could see the anger and hurt in her eyes. “Miss Parker, I know what you’re going to say. I know you wanted me to stay put until Jarod found a plan, but I couldn’t wait,” he said rapidly.

She pushed her index finger into Broots’ chest. “Broots, if someone looked in a dictionary, your picture would be right by the word ‘moron’. God, you could have gotten yourself killed tonight. What made you think you could take on Lyle by yourself?”

Miss Parker’s words stung Broots. Feeling ashamed he looked down at his feet. “I’m sorry, but if I had to do it over again I would.”

Miss Parker took a step back, looking at the feeble man before her. Letting out a deep sigh, she put her hand on his shoulder. “Broots, you’re the only father Debbie will ever have. I know your heart is in the right place, but there comes a time when you have to listen to your mind instead of your heart.” She paused an added, “The logical part will keep you alive, not the emotional part.”

Broots looked up at her. “Do you truly believe that, Miss Parker?”

She let her hand slip from Broots’ shoulder, giving him a dumbfounded look. Feeling defensive, she crossed her arms. “Yes, I do.”

He gave her a solemn look. “Then I feel sorry for you.”

Miss Parker was somewhat surprised by Broots’ words. Trying to recover, she put up her ice queen façade. “Don’t pity me. That way of thinking has kept me alive over the years,” she said coldly.

Broots seemed unfazed by her demeanor. “Tell me then, Miss Parker, what have you got to show for it?”

She was speechless. All she could mutter out was, “I...I.”

Broots had to be careful. He knew he was walking on thin ice right now. Saying the wrong thing to her could make her erupt like a volcano. “The only thing you have to show for it is an ulcer and loneliness. I know you think showing emotions is a sign of weakness, but if you don’t let your heart shine you might as well be a zombie walking the earth, because all you’ll be in life is a lifeless soul walking around in a shell of a body.” He paused an added, “Miss Parker, you’re such a strong and vibrant person. I just hate seeing a friend slowly killing herself.”

She turned around and walked over to the back door, staring out the window. She could feel the tears trying to escape from her eyes, but she wouldn’t let them. With her back facing Broots she commented, “Broots, let’s get one thing straight. I’m not your friend, but your boss, got it? Secondly, why would I take advice from someone like you,” she said caustically. Taking another deep breath she turned back around.

Broots knew Miss Parker to well. When people got to close, she had to put up her ice queen shield, so she wouldn’t feel so vulnerable. Even though her words were a little hurtful, he knew she didn’t mean it. “Say what you will, Miss Parker, but I don’t think a boss would go to this much trouble helping a meager employee. This is something a friend would do.” He looked over at the kitchen entranceway to make sure Lyle and Jarod weren’t coming. Seeing they weren’t, he took a couple of steps closer to Miss Parker.

“What you just said a few seconds ago, about the logical part keeping you alive, is that what you’ve been doing when it comes to Jarod?” he asked curiously.

“I’m not discussing my personal life with you of all people,” she replied back. She tried to sound cold, but her voice betrayed her.

“Please, stop pretending, Miss Parker. For once, be the real you,” Broots said pleadingly.

“Easier said than done,” she scoffed.

Broots shook his head at her. “You make it harder than it has to be.”

She couldn’t help but stare at Broots in disbelief. “Broots, when did you become so brazen.”

Broots let out a soft chuckle. “What can I say? Maybe some of your boldness has rubbed off on me.”

She couldn’t help but laugh. “Well, I can’t help it if I’m a bad influence.

When the laughing subsided, Broots got more serious an asked, “Miss Parker, you didn’t answer my question from before?” He looked over his shoulder to make sure it was just him and Miss Parker in the kitchen. Satisfied that they were still alone, he finally asked the question that has been plaguing him all these years. Clearing his throat he asked, “Miss Parker, do you love, Jarod?”

Miss Parker was stunned by the question. Broots was now getting a little to close for comfort. All of a sudden she felt naked, exposed, vulnerable. To top it off it was in front of Broots of all people. Did she have feelings for Jarod? Is that why she never could catch Jarod? However, she knew the answers to those questions. If she wanted to, she knew she could catch Jarod, but she couldn’t, or more likely she wouldn’t, because this damn heart of hers always got in the way.

“Miss Parker?” asked Broots.

Luckily she didn’t have to answer his question when she saw Lyle and Jarod walk in. Grabbing his bag and laptop, Jarod asked, “Everyone ready to go?”

XXXXXXXX

Kidnapper's Lair

Debbie sat upright on her cot as she heard the door open. ‘Oh no, not him,’ she thought to herself. She quickly wiped the tears away from her face as he closed the door. Trying to take after Miss Parker, she raised her chin up defiantly, trying to show no fear.

Kevin stood by the door. Crossing his arms, he leaned his right side against the door, staring at the blonde headed girl before him. He couldn’t help but smile at the brave face she was putting on. Of course, it was all an act. “So, how do you like your new accommodations, Debbie?”

Debbie was doing all she could to keep herself from crying, but she had to be brave. “Well, it’s not the Hilton, but I guess it will have to do. The food on the other hand is down right awful. You might want to talk to the cook about that,” she replied nonchalantly. A chill went down her spine, as Kevin’s smile only got broader.

He pushed himself off the door, taking a couple of steps closer towards Debbie. “Well, I’ll make sure to tell him that.” He reached around his lower back, bringing out his gun. He got the response he wanted, when Debbie’s eyes got bigger, glistening with unshed tears, but she still didn’t buckle. “You’re probably wondering what I’m doing with this. Don’t worry, it’s not for you.”

Debbie never liked guns. She was scared of them. It always amazed her that something as small as a bullet could snuff out a life just like that, without any warning. Just like it did with Wayne. She could feel the unshed tears burning in her eyes, wanting release, but she couldn’t let them fall. She had to be strong. “Oh, I’m not worried. Only a coward would use a gun.” Debbie noticed the change in Kevin’s eyes. There was so much hatred and madness behind them.

Kevin took a step closer. He would love nothing more than to end this little brat’s life right now; unfortunately he had orders from his boss. “Hasn’t your Daddy ever told you that children should be seen and not heard?” He smiled as her bottom lip trembled. “Oh, don’t cry,” he said with mock concern.

“I’m not crying,” she said with denial. A couple of stray tears made their way down her cheeks.

Kevin was enjoying himself immensely. Kneeling down in front of her, he brought the gun up to her face, letting the muzzle run down her cheeks and jawbone. He laughed to himself as Debbie froze in pure terror. “What’s the matter, Debbie? Not so brave now, are we?”

Taking a deep breath she replied, “Go to hell.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure I will. Hey, I’ll probably even see Miss Parker and your father while I’m there,” he said teasingly.

“What are you talking about?” she asked, fear evident in her voice now.

Taking the gun away from her face, he stood back up. “See, the only way for your father to get you back is to kill Miss Parker.”

Debbie couldn’t believe what she just heard. No, it can’t be true. Her father couldn’t kill a fly. “You’re lying. My father would never do something like that.”

“Tell me, Debbie, how well do you know your father?”

“Well, I know he’s not a cold blooded killer like some people in this room are,” she said evenly.

“Debbie, I believe those sound like fighting words,” he replied amusingly.

“I don’t care what you think they sound like, I just know you won’t get away with this. My Dad will make sure you rot in prison for this.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes it is,” she said with determination.

Kevin reached into his pocket, bringing out a tape recorder. “You really have your father on a pedestal, don’t you? I think it’s time someone let you in on the truth.” With that, he pressed the play button, letting Debbie hear the conversation from earlier at Blue Ridge Lake. When the tape was done, he pushed stop. “So let me ask again, how well do you know your father?”

Debbie couldn’t believe it. Her father murdered Miss Parker. It couldn’t be true. Maybe Kevin used something to dub her father’s voice on the tape, but her father didn’t sound like he was forced against his will.

“What’s the matter, kid? Cat got your tongue?” Kevin asked tauntingly.

“It’s a trick. It has to be,” she said with disbelief. “There’s no way my father would kill Miss Parker.”

“Sorry kid. Evidence doesn’t lie.” With that he walked out the door.

Debbie was still in shock. She stared absently at the wall in front of her. No way, could her father kill Miss Parker. But, Kevin had evidence of her father talking about a dead Miss Parker. If he did kill her, she would never forgive him. Lying back down on the cot, she brought the small pillow under her head and wept for her father and Miss Parker.

Kevin stared at the troubled girl through the small circular window on the door. ‘This day just keeps getting better and better,’ he thought to himself. He had so much fun toying with her. He could only imagine how she feels about her father now. He was broken from his thoughts when his cell phone rang.

“What?”

“Kevin, it’s me Neal.”

“I know who you are idiot. What do you want?” Kevin asked impatiently.

“Sorry. The boss is on the other line wanting to talk to you.”

“Put him through.”

After Kevin and his boss talked, he hung up the phone. Walking briskly down the hall, he gathered a couple of men and headed out the door.

“Where are we going?’ asked Neal.

Kevin buckled his seat belt. “To Mr. Raines house.”

XXXXXX

To Be Continued...
The Forest House by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 13

Broots turned off the headlights as the car slowly rolled to a stop. He got out of the car along with the other occupants. All four of them just stared at the house in wonder, neither wanting to make the first move. For once, Broots decided to be the brave one and led the way. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Jarod come running up, walking beside him. Looking behind him he saw Lyle, followed by Miss Parker. He was about to say something, when Jarod stopped and pulled him to the ground. “What is it?” he asked worriedly.

Jarod brought his index finger up to his lips, signaling for Broots to be quiet. Broots watched as Jarod dug into his bag, bringing out a gun. He was taken aback when Jarod handed it to him. “Are you sure this is a good idea?” he whispered to Jarod.

In the same tone, Jarod replied back. “It’s for your protection.”

Broots nodded his head up and down as he stared out in the distance. “Why did we stop?”

“I just want to make sure there are no...obstacles in our way,” stated Jarod.

“Oh, okay.”

After ten minutes of waiting, Lyle piped up. “Hey genius, it’s time we get a move on instead of lowly gagging out here.” The only reply Lyle got was a smack in the back of the head, courtesy of Miss Parker.

Jarod and Broots couldn’t help but laugh. Lyle on the other hand was not amused. “I’m glad you two are enjoying this, because you’ll need something to laugh about after I’m done with both of you.”

“Why, Mr. Lyle, is that a threat?” Jarod asked, unfazed by his words.

“Call it...retribution,” replied Lyle.

Jarod shook his head while smiling. “You are some piece of work, Lyle. Since, you’re in such a hurry, why don’t you go ahead and walk up to Raines’ house. We need someone to go out and test the waters to make sure it’s safe.”

Lyle could hear Broots snickering. He looked over at Broots, shooting invisible daggers at the man. Lyle smiled triumphantly to himself as Broots quickly sobered up, looking away from him. “Well, I’m glad someone knows their place in this world, unlike some people.”

Miss Parker roughly pulled Lyle back down. “Lyle, stop embarrassing yourself and shut up.”

Waving his hands up in the air in frustration he replied, “Fine.” Turning around, he looked at Miss Parker. “Sis, I hope you know you’re walking a dangerous line right now. Remember whose side you’re on. I hate to see something bad happen to you.”

Miss Parker could feel her blood slowly boiling within her. “Lyle, your threats are weak and pathetic, they’re all child’s play. And, as for whose side I’m on, that’s none of your damn business.”

“Whatever you say, Parker. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though,” stated Lyle.

Miss Parker let out an exasperated sigh. “Lyle, your supposed brotherly concern makes me want to vomit.”

Lyle was about to say something else, when Jarod hushed them. “What is it?” he asked.

Jarod watched as a light on the top floor lit up. To get a better look, he brought out his binoculars.

“What do you see?” Broots asked anxiously.

“Nothing so far,” answered Jarod. He watched the house as another light came on, this time somewhere on the bottom floor, in the kitchen. He could see Raines filling a glass up with water. After putting the glass back in the sink, he opened the back door, letting himself on the deck. Jarod pulled the binoculars away from his eyes and looked behind him. “Everyone be quiet. Raines is taking a little smoke break on the deck.”

Broots didn’t like this. He could feel his heartbeat getting faster as his breathing gained momentum. Even though they were all quiet, he felt like his beating heart would give them away. Jarod must’ve sensed his panic. Through his closed eyes he heard Jarod whisper to him, “Broots, calm down. Everything is going to be okay. Focus on my voice. There you go, take nice and easy breaths.”

Jarod’s mantra seemed to work as Broots breathing became more regular. Once Raines was back inside, Jarod tapped Broots on the shoulder. “You can open your eyes now. Raines went back inside.”

Broots opened up his eyes, letting out a sigh of relief. “I could never be a CIA agent,” he said jokingly to Jarod.

Jarod let out a soft chuckle, patting him on the shoulder. “Yes, I can see that, but you’re still doing a good job.”

“Uh, thanks,” muttered out Broots. “So, do we move now?”

“Yes, it’s time we get this show on the road.” Jarod got up first, followed by Broots.

Instead of following Broots, Lyle turned abruptly around, having Miss Parker run into him. “Damnit Lyle, watch where you’re going, you moron,” she hissed out.

“I need protection. Give me a gun,” he said urgently.

“Lyle, I wasn’t born yesterday. You’re not getting a gun, now move,” she commanded.

“I don’t believe this, you give Broots a gun, but not me,” he said while running to the house. Miss Parker didn’t say anything as she followed behind Lyle. When they reached the house, Jarod had already picked the lock and was inside with Broots. Walking inside, they stopped in their tracks as they found Jarod, tying Mr. Raines up to a chair, while Broots kept the gun trained on Raines.

Miss Parker walked over to the nervous technician. Putting her hand on top of his shaking ones, she pushed the gun down. “Whoa there, boy. Easy does it.”

Once Jarod was done tying Raines, he stood in front of him. “Where’s Debbie?” he growled out.

“I don’t know what...you’re talking about,” replied Raines.

Jarod turned around looking at Miss Parker. “It seems no one wants to take responsibility for this. I don’t know about you, Miss Parker, but I’m sick of all these games.”

Lyle was getting tired of all this. They were going to get nowhere with all these mundane questions Jarod was asking. It was time for him to intervene. Lyle walked over, pushing Jarod out of the way. “Listen here, you walking corpse. We know you’re behind all of this, so stop playing dumb. Now, tell us where Debbie is? Also, why am I being set up as the mastermind behind of all of this?”

Raines looked back and forth between everyone. Letting his gaze fall back on Jarod he replied with seriousness, “I truly have no idea what you’re all talking about.”

Lyle slowly walked around Raines. He smiled to himself as Raines began to squirm in his chair. “Untie me now, Lyle. It’s time we call some sweepers to bring Jarod back in,” demanded Raines.

Lyle stopped walking, standing in front of Raines again. “Sorry, can’t do that old man. Now, let me ask again. Why am I being set up for all this?”

Raines only answer was a smirk. Lyle was starting to get irritated, bringing his fingers up to his lips, he acted like he pondering something, while he walked over to the oxygen tank. Raines’ smirk quickly vanished as Lyle bent down near the tank. “What are you up to, Lyle?” Raines voice was raspy, filled with fear.

“This oxygen tank has to be a pain to lug around. It must be hard to sneak up on people when the wheels begin to squeak. You know what, I think it’s time that someone relieves you of this burden, don’t you?” With that, Lyle grabbed the knob, turning the oxygen supply off. He watched with delight, as Raines fought to breathe. His eyes were bulging out of his head.

After two minutes of labored breathing, Lyle turned the knob, letting Raines breathe again. “Now, do we have your cooperation?” Lyle asked with amusement.

Raines shook his head up and down.

“See how easy this can be. Now answer my question from before?” demanded Lyle.

Once Raines’ breathing was under control he answered. “I’m not behind...this charade.” He paused, looking over at Mr. Broots. “I’m telling...the truth. I’m truly sorry...about your daughter. I know...what you’re going...through.”

Broots was speechless; he didn’t know what to say. All he could do was nod his head, thanking him for the words.

Lyle cleared his throat, getting Raines attention. “You know something, now spill it.”

Raines stared at Lyle for a long moment. Finally, Lyle watched as Raines wiggled his finger, signaling him to come closer. Bending his head down, Lyle listened to what Raines whispered in his ear. When Lyle brought his face back up, Miss Parker could see his face becoming pale. What the hell did Raines say to him? She was about to ask when Jarod chimed in.

“What did he say?” asked Jarod.

Lyle backed away from Raines, stumbling onto the couch. “Nothing. He’s just trying to scare me, that’s all.”

Jarod looked over at Raines, who was now grinning from ear to ear. “You know who’s behind this?”

Raines shook his head yes as he stared at Lyle. “I just found out a couple of hours ago. I know who’s behind the kidnapping, who wants Miss Parker dead, and why dear Mr. Lyle is being set up.”

Miss Parker was getting impatient. Taking two long strides, she stood in front of Raines. Grabbing his chin forcefully, she lifted it up, so there were only mere inches between them. “Stop playing games, you emphysema ghoul.” To prove her point, she squeezed his chin harder and shook him. “Who wants me dead?”

“It amazes me. The answer has been in front of you the whole time, open up your eyes and see the bigger picture.” Raines paused, taking another breath of air. “To answer you’re question, the person behind it is..”

XXXXXXX

To Be Continued...
Something Wicked This Way Comes by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 14

The four men got out of the black SUV. Going to the back of the cab, they pulled out their supplies and headed into the woods. After twenty minutes of hiking through the mud and trees, they finally made it to their destination.

Kevin led the way to an area that would conceal them from other onlookers. Plopping down among the trees and bushes he gave out his orders. Neal stayed with Kevin as the other two men went further along.

Kevin pulled out his night vision goggles and scanned the area. So far, there was no one around. Pulling them back off, he got out his sniper rifle, and checked it to make sure the silencer and the red laser were attached and working. Satisfied that they were, he put the goggles back on and waited.

“So, where do you expect them to come from?” asked Neil.

“Over there, from the southeast section. The main road is in that direction,” replied Kevin, as he pointed to the section.

Neil gave him a puzzled look. “Why wouldn’t they come from the north? That’s where the driveway is located.”

Kevin glared at him. “How dumb are you? That would be the last place they would come from. It’s too obvious. They would be sitting ducks. Coming from the southeast is the best bet. They can park the car on the side of the road, make their way through the woods, and hide among those cluster of trees.”

“Oh.”

Kevin shook his head. In his earpiece, he heard the other men come across the line. “Sir, we’re set up and ready to go on your command.”

“Good.” Kevin looked out in the distance. He smiled to himself as he saw the four people emerge from the southeast. He smacked Neil on the arm, getting his attention. “Get ready,” he whispered to the men and Neil.

“They’re here. Where are they?” asked Neil.

“There over there, Baby Huey.” Kevin replied, pointing to the section. Talking into the microphone attached to his jacket he said, “Remember, don’t do anything yet. We have to make sure they go in. Stick to the plan.”

After waiting twenty minutes, Kevin watched as Broots, Miss Parker, Mr. Lyle, and a dark headed stranger made their way to Raines’ house. “Men, get your rifles ready,” Kevin commanded, as he watched the living room lights flicker on, making the target easier to see.

XXXXXXXXX

“...the kidnapper is...” Raines didn’t have a chance to finish, as his head suddenly flipped back from the impact of a bullet piercing his throat.

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Jarod turned his gaze towards Miss Parker. Disbelief was written on her face, eyes wide with shock. There was blood splattered all over her face and clothes. He could see her starting to tremble, going into shock. “Miss Parker...” he didn’t finish his sentence as he saw something dancing on her back. It was a small red dot. Turning his gaze towards the window, he knew what it was. They were taking aim at her now. “Everyone get down!” he yelled as he tackled Miss Parker to the ground.

Jarod covered her body with his. He winced as the barrage of bullets broke the windows, sending shards of glass everywhere around them. He placed his arms and hands over her head, trying to protect her.

Even though the shooting only lasted fifteen seconds, it felt like an eternity. When the shooting stopped, Jarod slowly lifted his head, and looked down at Miss Parker. “Miss Parker, are you okay?” Concern evident in his voice.

With her eyes still close, she nodded her head up and down, letting him know she was okay. She brought her hand up to her eyes, trying to rub the tears away, but it didn’t work as a few made their way down her cheeks.

Jarod’s heart went out to her. This last stunt truly frightened her. “Don’t hold back your tears, Miss Parker. No one here will think less of you if you did. Don’t be ashamed. You’re only human, just like the rest of us,” he said light heartedly, trying to ease the tension within her.

Jarod’s words were like a catalyst for Miss Parker as more tears ran down her cheeks. She held her hand over her eyes, refusing to let Jarod see her cry. She didn’t want his pity.

Jarod wanted to comfort her so much, but would she allow it? He reached out a hesitant hand, wiping the tears away from her face. He watched in wonder, as his hand seemed to have a mind of its own. He pushed the hair out of her face and took hold of the hand covering her eyes. Jarod watched with saddened eyes as she turned her face away from him, still keeping her eyes closed.

Turning away from her face, he looked at the small, fragile hand that was still held in his large, masculine one. ‘I might get a punch in the face, but its well worth it,’ he thought to himself. Turning her hand over, he placed a sweet, gentle kiss in the palm of her hand. When he looked back at her face, more tears came down. It killed him seeing her in this much pain. He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze, letting her know in some way, that someone was here for her, no matter what.

With reluctance, he let go of her hand, letting it rest on top of her heart. He was surprised when she brought her other hand up, covering his. She opened her eyes, never breaking contact with his line of vision.

Taking a shaky breath she said, “Thank you, Jarod.” Giving his hand a gentle squeeze, she eased both of their hands away. “Now, if you don’t mind. Could you get off of me,” she said with a tinge of humor in her voice.

Jarod smiled at her as he eased away from her. “Sorry.” Sitting on the floor, he whispered out, “Is everyone okay?”

Broots turned his head to the side, looking over at Jarod. “I’m fine,” he whispered out. Lifting himself on his hands and knees, he crawled over to Miss Parker and Jarod. Looking at Miss Parker, he was taken back by the sight of her. Blood always made him feel uneasy. “Are you two alright?” he asked with worry.

“We’re fine,” said Jarod. “Where’s Lyle at?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t look around. When I heard your voice, I just instantly crawled over here,” replied Broots.

All three remained silent when they heard a soft moan come through the air.

Miss Parker grabbed her gun and crawled out between Jarod and Broots. She almost made it past them, but Jarod grabbed her, forcing her to stop. “No, I’m letting you go out there. They were trying to shoot you. They’re most likely still out there. Stay back and let me go.”

“Jarod, I’m not some damsel in distress. I know what I’m doing. Now let go of me,” she whispered to him.

Broots felt uncomfortable sitting there, as they continued to stare at each other, neither one budging. “Um, Jarod, you might want to let her do it. She always gets her way,” Broots said softly.

Jarod looked at Broots then back to Miss Parker. He didn’t like this one bit. Letting out a deep sigh he said, “Alright, just be careful.” Before letting her go he added, “Remember, we’ve got your back.”

“Well, there’s a comforting thought,” she replied jokingly, flashing a weak smile. Before Jarod could say anything else, she crawled out.

Miss Parker crawled out behind the couch. Bringing her gun out in front of her, she prepared herself for whatever laid on the other side. Taking a deep breath and counting to three, she finally moved. When she rounded the corner, there was no one there except Raines and Lyle.

She crawled by Raines and paused. He was dead to the world. His head hung limply on his shoulders, as blood trickled its way down his body, creating a pool of blood at his feet. She still couldn’t believe how close that bullet came to hitting her. Shaking the unpleasant thought from her head, she headed towards Lyle.

“Lyle, wake up. Are you alright?” she asked, lightly patting him on the cheeks.

Lyle slowly opened his eyes. “What’s going on?” he asked drowsily. When he went to move his left arm, he winced. Resting his right hand on top of his left bicep, he felt something wet, likely blood. “I think I’ve been shot.”

“Lyle, do you think you can move on your own?”

“Yeah, I think so,” he replied. With the help of Miss Parker, he slowly sat up, grimacing in pain.

“Are you ready?” Miss Parker asked.

“Yes.”

“Okay, let’s go then.”

Lyle and Miss Parker made it back without any problems. “Jarod, Lyle’s been shot,” said Miss Parker.

Lyle held his left arm as he sat against the wall, sitting under the windows. Broots dug into his pocket, bringing out his handy flashlight. He aimed the light at Lyle’s shoulder, while Jarod looked at the wound. Miss Parker continued to stand guard as the two men tended to Lyle.

“How bad is it?” asked Miss Parker.

“Its nothing more than a graze. I think he’ll live,” Jarod said sarcastically. “We need to clean it up.”

“I’ll go look in the bathroom to see if there’s a first aid kit there,” replied Miss Parker. Before Jarod could stop her she was gone.

Keeping low to the ground Miss Parker made her way to the bathroom. Seeing that there was no window in there, she closed the door and turned on the light. Laying the gun down on the counter, she grabbed a towel hanging from the rack and ran it under some water. Taking the towel, she wiped Raines’ blood from her hair, face, an arms. There was nothing she could do about her clothes. Throwing the towel down on the floor, she knelt down, going through the drawers and cabinets underneath the sink. With her attention focused on the task at hand, she didn’t hear the door open behind her.

When she found the first aid kit, she quickly stood back up. When she looked in the mirror, she jumped from the image that was reflected back to her.

“Well, if it isn’t the dearly departed, Miss Parker,” Kevin commented sarcastically.

Miss Parker eyed the gun on the counter, but she wouldn’t have enough time to get to it before a bullet was put into her own head. Clutching the first aid kit to her chest, she slowly turned around. “Hasn’t anyone told you it’s rude to point a gun at a lady,” she stated calmly.

Kevin let out a soft chuckle. “Well, when I see one I’ll let you know.” Keeping the handgun pointed at Miss Parker he said, “Move.”

When Miss Parker opened the bathroom door, she realized this was the only opportunity she had. Holding the kit more tightly, she abruptly swung around, knocking the small metal box into Kevin’s head. Dropping the box, she ran as fast as she could to the stairs.

“Shit!” spat out Kevin, as he fell to the ground, holding the left side of his head. Grabbing the microphone on his shirt he told his men to get Miss Parker. Standing back up, he grabbed Miss Parker’s and his handguns, and went after her.

The stairs felt like they were a million miles away as she ran towards them. ‘Come on, Parker. Almost there,’ she thought to herself. Taking a quick glance over her shoulder, she saw the boyish man slowly getting up. She had to hurry. When she turned back around, she ran smack dab into a brick wall. She fell to the ground instantly. When she looked up, she saw a large, muscle bound man standing before her, pointing his rifle at her.

“For once, you did something good, Neil,” said Kevin, as he came running up seconds later, smiling at the defeated woman. His enjoyment was short lived as he heard voices and movement coming from downstairs. Yanking Miss Parker off the floor by her hair, he held her in front of him, using her body as a shield as he kept the gun pointed at her. Bending his head down by her ear he whispered, “Now, just follow my lead. Try anything stupid and the girl dies, got it?”

“Yeah, I got it,” she responded back through clenched teeth.

“Miss Parker, is everything okay up there?” yelled Jarod from the foot of the stairs.

Miss Parker’s heart started beating faster and faster.

“Answer him,” Kevin growled out, squeezing her neck tighter. “Tell him everything is fine and you’ll be down shortly.”

Miss Parker closed her eyes and took a deep breath. “Everything’s fine, sweetie. I’ll just be a couple of minutes,” she yelled back. She just hoped Jarod picked up on the hint.

“Sweetie?” Jarod said to himself. He looked over at Broots, who also had a strange look on his face. It then dawned on him, something was wrong. “Broots, get a gun handy. I have a feeling we have unwanted company upstairs.” With that, Jarod held his gun out in front of him as he slowly edged his way upstairs.

When Jarod reached the landing it was empty. He crept down the hallway, looking in the rooms, but there was no one there. When he reached the end of the hallway, there were two doors left. One to the left, and one to the right. Holding the gun chest level with both hands, he went to the right door and swung it open. He immediately stepped aside, expecting bullets to come flying through the air. However, nothing happened. Letting out a small sigh of relief, he looked at the door across the hall. The last one left unchecked.

He gingerly walked over to the door and stood to the side. Instead of opening the door by the way of the doorknob, he decided to kick it in. Again, he stood to the side, an again nothing happened. Using the wall as protection, he peeked his head to look inside. The room appeared to be empty also, but the difference between this one and the others was that one of the bedroom windows was opened.

Jarod ran to the window and looked outside. Down on the ground, he found Miss Parker being taken away by two other men. “Stop!” Jarod yelled out. The only response he got back was gunfire. He dove on the floor and crawled to the door. Once he was in the hallway, he got up and ran to the stairs. When he reached the bottom, he bolted to the door.

“Jarod, what’s wrong?” Broots asked with panic.

“They’ve got Miss Parker!” he yelled over his shoulder.

Taking the flashlight and gun, Broots followed after Jarod.

Jarod ran down the lawn at full speed, ignoring the shots being fired at him. He only had eyes on one person and that was Miss Parker, who was now slung over the shoulders of one of the men. He needed to do something before they reached the woods. If they made it, he would lose them. Hiding among the trees, he took aim and fired. He smiled to himself as the man with Miss Parker fell to the ground, grabbing the back of his leg. “Miss Parker, over here!” he shouted out.

With his back to the house, he froze when he heard the sound of leaves and twigs crunching behind him. He instantly turned around, pointing the gun at whoever was behind him.

“Don’t shoot. It’s me, Broots.” Broots instantly put his hands up in defense.

Jarod let out a deep breath and turned back around. Getting up from his position, he went after Miss Parker. He almost made it when a gunshot rang through the air, stopping him in his tracks. Jarod could hear Broots behind him, due to his deviated septum. He looked over at Miss Parker, who was also frozen in place. Jarod watched as the younger man came out from the shadows.

The man appeared to be in his mid to early twenties, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Jarod would never expect someone like this to be associated with the Centre, but then again, looks can be deceiving. What frightened Jarod the most were his eyes. He had the face of an angel, but the eyes of the devil.

Kevin eased his way out of the shadows, keeping his gun trained on the dark haired man. “Drop it, both of you,” he demanded.

Both men instantly dropped their guns and flashlight to the ground. “Please, don’t hurt her,” Jarod pleaded calmly.

Kevin smirked at the man. “Well, do as I say and nothing bad will happen to the pretty little lady.” Taking two quick strides, he grabbed Miss Parker around the neck, bringing the gun to her head. “Now, I want the two of you to turn around and walk back to the house.”

Jarod and Broots didn’t move. Kevin was now starting to get angry. He squeezed Miss Parker’s neck tighter, pressing the gun forcefully into her temple. “Don’t make me ask twice.”

Jarod winced as the man squeezed Miss Parker’s neck. He wanted nothing more than to go over to this man and ring his neck. “You son of a bitch,” he growled out. “Hurt her again and so help me.”

“What are you going to do, Romeo? The way I see it is that you don’t have a choice in this little scenario. See, it’s like this, if Mr. Broots over there wants to see his daughter again, then I’m afraid Miss Parker must come with me. If she doesn’t, say bye-bye to little Miss Debbie,” Kevin said with delight.

Broots instantly stepped forward. “No, please don’t harm my daughter. I’m sorry I lied about Miss Parker. Please, don’t let Miss Parker and Debbie suffer because of my lies,” he begged. “Take me instead.”

Kevin only laughed at the suggestion. “Nice try.” He looked down at Miss Parker. “How about this, it’s your choice, Miss Parker. I could let you go, but I’m afraid my boss won’t be happy and will have to kill the girl. The only little Debbie you’ll see in the future will be at your local supermarket, in the snack cakes aisle. The other choice is that you can come with me, sparing Debbie’s young life. So, what will it be?”

“Let’s go,” she replied evenly without a second thought.

“No,” said Jarod as he took a step forward. “There has to be another way.” He looked into Miss Parker’s eyes, seeing the unshed tears building there. “I...I can’t lose you too,” he said in hushed whisper.

Miss Parker could see the anguish, concern, and love in Jarod’s tear laden eyes as he looked upon her. Afraid she might break down; she turned her head away, escaping the look of despair on Jarod’s face. While still looking away she choked out, “Don’t worry about me.” Getting a little bit of composure she looked back at Jarod. “Please, look out for Broots, he’s going to need you.” Looking back at Kevin she said, “Let’s go.”

Kevin couldn’t help but smile with smugness as the Hallmark moment played out before his eyes. “Now, that’s what I wanted to hear.” As Kevin backed away he added, “In case your wondering, I have some marksmen hidden among the woods. So, don’t try anything funny.” He pulled Miss Parker’s hair, making her move faster. Kevin watched as Romeo took another step forward. “Stop right there, Romeo, or Juliet gets a nice bullet in the spine. I won’t kill her, but I’ll make sure she suffers.” Kevin’s words seemed to work as Jarod backed off.

Kevin was about to turn away when he heard a voice pipe up. “Kevin, what about me? You can’t just leave me here,” said Neil with a painful voice, as he continued to hold his leg.

“You know what, Baby Huey, you’re right, I can’t leave you here.” Taking the gun away from Miss Parker’s head, Kevin shot Neil right between the eyes. He then looked back at Jarod. “Well, as they say, parting is such sweet sorrow.” With that, Miss Parker and Kevin disappeared into the woods.

“No!” Jarod screamed out, falling to his knees. “Miss Parker, please come back! Don’t leave me, too!” It felt as if someone ripped his heart out of his chest. “I let her go. How could I let her go?” he said through the tears as he stared off into the woods.

Broots didn’t know what to say. He walked up to Jarod and gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, Jarod. We’ll find them.” Looking back into the woods he repeated, “We’ll find them.” Helping Jarod to his feet, they turned around and walked back to the house, heads hung low from defeat.

To Be Continued...
Working Together by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 15

Lyle watched with half opened eyes as Broots ran out of the house after Jarod, leaving him alone in the dark living room. He heard Jarod tell Broots that they had Miss Parker. Personally, he could care a less about his sister. He was more interested in the kidnappers. Cradling his left arm to himself, he dug into Jarod’s little goody bag.

Lyle let his fingers search aimlessly through the bag, hoping to find the car keys. When he felt his fingers glide over the cool metal, he quickly brought them out. Putting the keys between his teeth, he looked through the bag again, this time for a gun. Once he found a gun, he stood up and made his way to Jarod’s car.

Lyle let the shadows conceal him like a blanket, as he quickly walked through the woods. He tried to jog, but the jostling only aggravated his injury. When he came upon the vehicle he let out a huge sigh of relief. Getting in the car, he made his way over to the old dirt road that sat behind Raines’ house. He had a feeling the kidnappers were parked over there.

He winced in pain as the car went over large holes in the road. He tried to avoid them, but it was hard, because there were no headlights to help him see the road more clearly. The last thing he wanted to do was to let everyone know where he was. His only light came from the moon above him.

When he saw the SUV up ahead, he stopped and waited. Five minutes passed before he saw movement coming from the woods. He watched as two men and Miss Parker came stumbling out. One man hurried over to the drivers side, while the other pushed Miss Parker towards the back of the vehicle. Lyle couldn’t help but enjoy this little moment as they tied duct tape around Miss Parker’s wrists, ankles, and mouth. They then topped it all off by putting a black hood over her head. His grin got broader when the younger looking man backhanded Miss Parker across the face. ‘Oh, if I only I could’ve done that,’ he thought to himself.

Lyle continued to watch as the two men threw Miss Parker into the back of the cab. When they got in the SUV, Lyle expected them to speed off, but instead they sat there. What were they doing?

A couple of minutes passed without anything happening. Then out of nowhere a third man came flying out of the woods, with a rifle slung over his shoulders. Once he was in the vehicle, it quickly sped out, kicking up mud as it left its spot.

Lyle turned the ignition back on, and followed after the SUV.

XXXXXXX

When Jarod and Broots came back to the house, they went straight to the kitchen. Broots dug through the cabinets, looking for some glasses. He next went to the liquor cabinet, bringing out a bottle of scotch. He hurriedly walked back to the table, setting the items down. He glanced over at Jarod, who looked like a total wreck. Pouring Jarod a drink, he set the glass in front of him. “Here, drink this,” he offered.

Jarod looked down at the amber liquid in disgust. He wasn’t disgusted with the drink, but with himself. How could he just sit back and let her go? He should have done something to help her, but what? Becoming frustrated with each passing thought, Jarod slung his arm out, sending the glass through the air, crashing it into the wall. He looked back at Broots, who had a startled look on his face.

“Jarod, I know you’re upset, but..”

Jarod’s maniacal laughing interrupted Broots. “They’ve won,” he simply stated. “You can’t beat the devil, Mr. Broots. That’s what the Centre is. No matter what you do, they always have your number. We’ll never be free from that hellhole. It will always haunt us until the day we die. Don’t you see, we’re just pawns in their sick little games.” Jarod reached out for the bottle, and took a swig of scotch.

“Jarod, you don’t mean that,” Broots replied back in disbelief. “I know that’s the anger and frustration talking. They may have won the battle, but they haven’t won the war.”

Jarod let out a soft chuckle. “Broots, I’ve lost to many battles to win the war now. It’s time for me to stop living in the fantasy world and start getting real.”

“Jarod, I know you don’t mean that.”

Jarod leaned back in his chair, propping his feet up on the table. He took another drink of scotch, holding the bottle closely to his chest. Staring out the window he said, “I hate to say this, but they’ve probably already killed Debbie. They obviously know that you and Miss Parker doubled crossed them. The poor girl is probably laying on the side of the road, maybe in some ravine somewhere.”

Broots was becoming angry with Jarod. How could he talk about his daughter like that? He clutched the glass more tightly in his hands. “Jarod, you shouldn’t talk like that,” he said in a low, angry voice.

“Hey, the truth is a bitter pill to swallow. I hate to squash any hopes you have left of finding your daughter, but lets be realistic. Miss Parker is most likely dead, with a bullet lodged in her skull. As I said before, Debbie is probably somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Animals are probably picking her lifeless body apart as we speak. And all of this is because of me. Oh well, chalk up two more innocent lives lost because of me. Let’s see, so that should now bring my grand total up too..” Jarod didn’t have a chance to finish, as Broots grabbed him by his shirt, yanking him out of the chair.

Broots was furious with Jarod’s words. Grabbing him roughly out of the chair, he slammed him up against the wall a couple of times, trying to knock some sense into him. “Stop with this pity party of yours. I won’t have any part of it,” he said angrily. Broots was already starting to feel guilty when he seen the remorse in Jarod’s eyes. He loosened his grip on Jarod’s shirt, but still kept himself planted in front of Jarod. “Listen, I know you’re hurting right now, but we have to be positive. For Debbie and Miss Parker’s sakes. I for one, won’t give up on them,” he said gently.

Jarod hung his head low, ashamed to look at Broots. “I’m sorry. I guess I let my emotions get the best of me.” He let out a defeated sigh. “I’m just tired of all these games,” he said softly.

“Jarod, we’re all tired of these Centre games.” He paused an added, “Jarod, I’m sorry about slamming you against the wall. It’s just that when you started talking about Debbie like that, I was afraid that maybe it could be true, and that’s something I can’t face right now. God, if I lost Debbie, I couldn’t go on living. She’s all I have left.”

Jarod gave Broots a sympathetic look “Once again, Broots, I apologize for everything I said. I’m surprised you didn’t punch me.”

Broots let out a soft chuckle. “Oh, believe me, it was tempting.”

Jarod couldn’t help but smile. “I know, sometimes I can be a pain in the ass.” Both men started laughing, when the laughing subsided Jarod commented, “But you’re right about one thing, we will win this war.”

Broots couldn’t help but smile at the comment. “See, that’s want I wanted to hear.” When he backed away from Jarod, he almost slipped and fell on the broken bottle of scotch on the floor. Broots couldn’t help but laugh.

Jarod gave him a confused look. “What’s so funny?”

“A perfectly good bottle of scotch, broken and scattered all over the floor. I was thinking to myself as to what Miss Parker would say about that. You know how much she loves her scotch,” he said with amusement.

Jarod laughed along with Broots. Here they were in a time of crisis, laughing like fools at a broken bottle of scotch. When the laughing subsided, Jarod looked over at Broots with a serious look on his face. “Mr. Broots, you are a truly good friend. Both Miss Parker an I are lucky to have you as a friend.”

Broots was stunned by the words. He couldn’t stop the smile that formed on his lips. “Thank you, that means a lot to me.”

“Anytime,” Jarod replied back with a grin. Looking behind Broots, he decided to pay Lyle a little visit. They haven’t heard anything from him since they’ve been in here. Walking past Broots, he went into the living room. When he turned on the lamp, he was in for a shock. “Broots, where’s Lyle at?”

Broots came running into the living room, looking around wild-eyed. “I don’t know. He was right here, sitting under the windows when I left him. He was starting to doze off. Where could he have gone?”

“I don’t know, but let’s check the house. You check the downstairs, I’ll check the upstairs.” With that, Jarod ran up the stairs, while Broots searched downstairs.

After thirty minutes of searching, Lyle was nowhere to be found. “Damnit, where could he be?” Jarod said in frustration.

“Uh, Jarod,” Broots said nervously.

“Yeah.”

“You might want to come and have a look at this,” replied Broots, as he squatted down near Jarod’s backpack.

Jarod knelt down beside Broots, going through the bag. Once he was done going through the contents, he threw the bag down in disgust. Lyle stole his car keys and the extra gun he had in there.

“Where do you think he went?” asked Broots.

Jarod went over to the windows, staring off in the distance. “I don’t know,” he said more to himself than to Broots. The room became so quiet, that they both jumped when Raines’ phone started ringing.

Jarod walked over to the phone and looked at the called I.D. He looked over at Broots, who was giving him a questioning look. “It’s Lyle.” Picking up the phone he asked, “Where are you?”

“Well, while you two were off gallivanting. I decided to take matters into my own hands. I figured the kidnappers came from the old abandoned dirt road, which sits behind Mr. Raines’ house. So, I borrowed your car and followed them.”

Jarod gripped the handset more tightly. “Where are they?” he asked evenly.

He could hear Lyle snickering on the other end. “Now, why would I tell you? You’ve made my life a living hell.”

Jarod could hear the enjoyment in Lyle’s voice. This only angered him more. “You son of a bitch! Tell me where they are!” he yelled into the phone.

“Now Jarod, is that anyway to talk about my mother, the great St. Catherine of the Centre. Miss Parker wouldn’t be too happy with you. Calling her mother a bitch. Tsk, tsk, tsk,” scolding him mockingly. “Now, say you’re sorry.”

Jarod didn’t want to grovel, but if he wanted to see Miss Parker again, he knew he had to swallow his pride. “I’m sorry,” he muttered out.

Jarod could hear the delight in Lyle’s voice. “That must’ve been tough for you, Jarod. Groveling to the likes of me. Oh, I bet that just killed you.”

“Lyle, I did what you asked, now tell me where they are?” he asked evenly, trying to keep the anger out of his voice.

“Jarod, as much as this pains me, I’m afraid I’m going to need you’re help, along with Broots. I want to know who is behind all of this. I know I can’t do this alone. I’ll be outnumbered. So, what do you say partner? Want to call a truce and team up together? Like I’ve said before, together we will be unstoppable,” replied Lyle enthusiastically.

“Fine. Just tell me where you are?”

“I’m over at route 14. They took Miss Parker into an old abandoned barn. Broots probably knows where it is, since he goes past it everyday to work,” said Lyle.

“Okay, we’ll meet you there as soon as we can.” With that, Jarod hung up the phone. Looking at an expectant Broots he said, “Let’s go. It’s time we get Miss Parker and Debbie back.”

To Be Continued...
Unmasked by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapte 16

The kidnapper looked out of the window, staring off into the dark filled night. The anticipation was killing him. It was now, only a matter of time before the prized pretender would make his appearance. All of his dreams and hard work were finally about to be realized. He couldn’t fight the excitement that was building within him. He could only imagine the look on Jarod’s face once he realized who he was. “Jarod, if you only knew how close I was,” he said as he chuckled to himself.

His silent reverie was broken, when he heard the SUV doors being slammed. He watched intently as his men opened up the back, dragging Miss Parker out. He couldn’t help but be amused with Miss Parker as she fought her captors. He almost felt bad for Kevin and the other two men. Almost. Once his men and Miss Parker were in the barn, he sat back, enjoying the calm before the storm.

He looked up into the sky and could already see the clouds rolling back in again, soon to bring with them another soaking rain. Smiling up at the ominous sky, he reluctantly turned his attention back towards the barn.

The barn was the perfect setting for his plans. On the outside it looked like any other regular barn. One that you wouldn’t even think twice about if you passed by it, however, inside was a different story. Underneath it were elaborate rooms and tunnels that were used for storage. The green, dilapidated building used to be an old warehouse that stored files for the Centre. Eventually the building became useless, once the technological era boomed. No one knew the property still belonged to the Centre. Hell, even he didn’t find out about until a few months ago, but once he did, he spent all his free time making sure the building would be adequate for his plan.

The plan. He couldn’t help but grin at how truly brilliant it was. Why he never thought of it before still amazed him. It figures the simplest solution to all of his problems has been right there in front of him the whole time.

The plan was simple enough. Having Broots murder Miss Parker was something no one could fathom. Weak, pathetic Broots would fly right under everyone’s radar. It was too damn perfect. Even if Miss Parker were prepared to defend herself against the killer, she would’ve never expected Broots. Of course, he knew Broots needed motivation to go through with the order, and that’s where Debbie came in.

The teenage girl was too easy. He could still remember watching her, as she was at the library studying with her friends. When she decided to take a little break, she went outside to sit on one of the vacant benches. Seeing his chance at the opportunity, he pretended to be a distraught father looking for his lost child. He went up to her, asking if she would help him. Without a second thought, the girl instantly got up and followed him out into the dark parking lot.

When they got by his van, two of his men instantly came out, pushing the frightened girl inside. Satisfied that everything was okay, he straightened his jacket and went back inside the building. He walked over to the table where her friends were still studying. Giving them a piece of paper, he told them that their friend asked him to give them this. They read the letter, saying that the girl had to leave due to a family emergency. He waited a few seconds to make sure they didn’t become suspicious. Once they told him thank you, he smiled back and said no problem before he went out the doors.

Once they had Debbie, the plan was put into motion. He sent Willie over with the cell phone, using him as a decoy. Willie didn’t question the kidnapper’s motives, just did as he was told. That was one good thing about the sweeper; he was loyal to the Centre. He never questioned the orders given to him. He just did them. Once Broots found out about his missing daughter, he would instantly suspect Raines, since Willie worked for him. And this was what the kidnapper wanted, to divert attention from himself onto Raines.

Raines. The man was the devil incarnate himself. The kidnapper had to give credit where credit was due. If it weren’t for Raines, none of this would be happening right now.

One late night, about a couple months ago, he decided to hack into Raines’ email account, snooping around for anything that kept him out of the loop. Sure enough, he found an “eyes only” memo addressed to Raines from the Triumverate. Raines had the audacity to ask for the permanent removal of the kidnapper and Miss Parker. The letter said they would consider Raines’ request about having the kidnapper permantely removed from the Centre. However, nothing was supposed to happen to Miss Parker under any circumstances.

Deciding he needed to take matters into his own hands, he decided it was time to send Raines back to Hell where he belonged. The kidnapper knew if the Triumverate ever found out that he was the one who killed Miss Parker, he would never live to see another day. Deciding he needed someone else to do his dirty work, he decided to have Broots do it. That way, if the Triumverate did find the killer, it would all lead back to Broots and Mr. Raines. And Debbie, well, she would just be another innocent life lost to the Centre. But, if for some reason the Centre ever found out that the kidnapper was behind the whole thing, then that’s where Jarod would come in.

If he were the one who caught the pretender, they would welcome him back with open arms. No questions asked. Then, once he was in power, he would finally get rid of the Triumverate, and then he would have complete control. No one watching his every move, he would finally be his own man.

The kidnapper was broken from his pleasant thoughts when someone sat down beside him. Turing towards the person, he saw that it was Kevin. “You’re late,” he stated.

“I know, I’m sorry. Man, that Parker woman sure is a fighter. When we took the tape off her mouth, she lunged after Jackson, biting his hand. You wouldn’t believe all the blood that came running out,” replied Kevin.

“The one thing I’ve learned from Miss Parker is to never underestimate her. Hopefully, you’ve learned your lesson,” he paused. “Do you know that you were followed?”

Kevin looked back at him with disbelief in his eyes. “I...I...no I didn’t,” he said, stumbling over his words. Kevin scanned the area around him. “Where are they?”

“Lucky for you, they’re not here yet.” The kidnapper looked down at his watch. “I say we have about twenty minutes before they get here.”

Trying to change the subject, Kevin asked, “So, what did you think of our performance at Raines’ house?”

The kidnapper smiled to himself as he replayed the scene in his head. “It was very good. What I would like to know is what happened to Neil?”

Kevin turned away from the kidnapper, looking straight ahead. “Unfortunately, Neil became a casualty of war,” he stated evenly.

The kidnapper gave him an amused look. “A casualty? Are you sure you want that to be your final answer?”

“Sir, I was only thinking of what you would do in that situation. We almost made it to the woods, but then the dark headed stranger shot him in the leg. I knew if we dragged him back he would be putting all of us in danger. I couldn’t risk it, so I shot him,” answered Kevin, trying to plead his case.

The kidnapper didn’t say anything. He wanted to see Kevin sweat this out a bit. “Kevin, you did the right thing. There comes a time when you have to cut your losses. You did good, but from now on, always make sure to watch your back when you leave a scene.”

Kevin nodded his head. Turning back to the kidnapper he asked, “If Mr. Broots and the stranger didn’t follow us, then who did?” Since being in the car, he just now noticed how his boss was cradling his arm to himself.

“Lucky for you, it was me.”

“Do you think we threw Broots and Miss Parker off your trail?”

“Yes, I believe so.”

Kevin grinned at the answer. “How much damage did we cause with the bullet?” He asked, nodding his head towards his boss’ arm.

“Not much. All it did was graze it. Next time I see Jackson, I’m going to make sure he gets a little something extra for his work. He’s truly a gifted marksmen.” Looking out through the windshield he commented, “Well, you better get out of here. The last thing I need is for Jarod and Broots to come driving up, finding me in the car with you.”

“Yes sir.” Kevin quickly opened the car door. Before running back towards the barn, he bent down and asked, “What should we do about your sister and Debbie, Mr. Lyle? Should we keep them in the same room?”

“No, keep them as far away as possible,” Lyle replied back. Once Kevin was gone, Lyle sat back in his seat and closed his eyes, letting his thoughts fall back a couple of hours ago.

When Lyle and his men got back from the lake, they had a lot of work to do. Before they left to meet with Kevin, Lyle sent the video of him dressed as Raines to Broots’ email account. When they were driving back to the barn, Lyle received a call from one of his technicians. The technician told him that when Lyle made the video, he forgot to take off his leather glove. Becoming furious with himself, Lyle smashed his cell phone on the dashboard, shattering it into little pieces. He needed a plan, and quick.

Lyle needed the Blue Cove police to help him. At first, the police chief was adamantly against it; unfortunately he didn’t have a choice in the matter as Lyle reminded him with smugness. Blackmail was such a powerful tool. Lyle had to remind the chief about the racy little photos he had of the chief and a high school senior. It would be a shame if his wife and family ever found out about them.

Once he got the full cooperation of the Blue Cove police force, he then decided to go back home and get a few things. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect Broots to be there. He would’ve killed Broots if it hadn’t been for his sister. When they cornered him in his house, he knew he needed help. To get that help, he asked if he could go to the restroom to clean the cut on his head.

After Jarod frisked him and checked the bathroom, he closed the door. Jarod demanded the door stay open, so he could keep a watchful eye on him. Lyle told him bluntly that he had to take a dump, but he was more than welcomed to watch. Even now, he couldn’t help but grin at the look on Jarod’s face. It was disgust and horror all mixed together. Once he got the door closed, he opened up the toilet, pulling out one of his emergency cell phones. When one worked for the Centre, you could never be too careful.

Knowing he couldn’t talk out loud, he whispered a few words then text messaged the rest of his plans to Kevin. Lyle knew Jarod, Miss Parker, and Broots didn’t trust him as far as they could throw him. Knowing that, he knew he had to put himself in the line of fire.

When Raines whispered to him that he knew it was him that was behind this whole charade, he had to bite down on his lip to keep himself from laughing. When he pulled away from Raines, he pretended to be shocked and frightened at what he just heard. It worked like a charm.

When Miss Parker demanded the truth from Raines, he slowly reached into his pocket, clicking his pen. The pen had a remote control sensor, which alerted Kevin and his men, letting them know that now was the time to act. While everyone else’s backs was facing the windows, Lyle slowly inched himself over, as he watched the red laser dancing on the panes of glass. He could still remember closing his eyes, as he prepared himself for the bullet that was meant to graze him, which it did.

Once the shooting was done, he pretended that he was out of it. He could hear the three imbeciles chatting to themselves. He couldn’t help but laugh at the concern Jarod showed for his sister. The man was truly pathetic. Here they thought Miss Parker was the target, when in reality, it was Raines. He couldn’t let the old man start telling them everything he had in store for them.

Lyle could’ve killed Miss Parker at Raines’ house, but what would be the fun in that. He still wanted her dead, but he also wanted to have a little fun to. Lyle wanted to humiliate his sister, watch her plead for her life, or for that matter Jarod’s life. This was his Christmas morning.

Opening up his eyes, he looked at his watch again. ‘They should be here shortly,’ he thought to himself. A couple of minutes later he got his wish, when he saw a pair of headlights coming down the road. Looking in the rearview mirror, he straightened his tie and smoothed back his hair. Satisfied with his appearance, he winked to himself and said, “And so it begins.”

To Be Continued...
The Rescue by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 17

Broots drove while Jarod loaded the guns. “Jarod, I don’t know if this such a good idea. Lyle could still call the sweepers and bring you back in. Maybe we should call the cops to help us on this,” suggested Broots.

With both guns loaded, Jarod looked across the seat at Broots. “No, the less people we involve the better.” He paused as he pointed to the side of the road. “Pull over there,” he ordered.

Broots pulled over to the side of the road and put the car in park. “Wouldn’t it be better if we stick together?”

Jarod continued to scan the area as he answered back, “Yes it would, however with Lyle in the drivers seat I can’t take the chance. While you drive the rest of the way, I’ll make my way through the woods, that way, once I reach the property I’ll be able to see if this truly is a trap.”

“And if it is?”

“Let’s just hope it isn’t,” he replied back, trying to reassure Broots. Jarod handed Broots one of the guns he was holding. Before opening the door he commented, “Make sure to wait five minutes once I enter the woods.” He was about to step out when Broots grabbed his left arm, forcing him to stay put.

As Jarod gave him a questioning look, Broots dug into his back pocket bringing out his wallet. Opening it up, he brought out a fifty-cent piece. Looking at it he explained, “This is my lucky fifty cent piece. I’ve had this since I was nine years old. It was the last thing my grandfather gave to me before he passed away. I’ve always kept it with me, you know, for luck.” Looking over at Jarod he let out a heavy sigh as he gave the coin to him.

“Broots, I...I can’t accept this,” he whispered softly.

“Yes, yes you can. If I know my daughter, she’s most likely scared as hell right now. Since she’s never seen you, she might be frightened of you, assuming that you’re one of the kidnappers.” He paused, looking at the coin. “Show her this and she’ll come with you willingly. She knows how much I cherish that coin. She’ll understand.” Looking at the clock on the dashboard he commented, “Time to get moving.”

Jarod nodded his head up and down as he slipped the coin in his pocket. He scanned the area one more time. Satisfied that nothing seemed amiss, he looked back at Broots and said, “Good luck.”

Broots flashed him a weak smile. “Same to you.” With that, Jarod was out of the car and running off into the woods.

XXXXXXX

After waiting five minutes, Broots put the car back in drive and headed towards the barn. He could feel the apprehension building within him with each passing mile. He was so tempted to just turn around, but he didn’t. Picturing Debbie’s smiling face in his mind was the only thing giving him courage.

There was something that kept nagging at him when it came to Lyle’s phone call to Jarod, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it. There was something that both him and Jarod were missing, but what? Seeing Lyle standing beside Jarod’s car in the distance, he eased on the gas, slowly coming to a stop. Reaching out, he picked up the gun sitting in the passenger seat, and tucked it in the back of his jeans. Taking a couple of deep breaths, he opened the door and got out.

He slowly walked over to Lyle, taking in his appearance. For someone who was supposed to seem worried, he looked all too confident as he leaned against the car. Broots could see the red flags going up in his mind. Every instinct in his body was telling him to turn around and run. ‘Calm down, it’s just your nerves becoming overwhelmed with the situation. You can trust Lyle. We’re both in the same boat here,’ he thought to himself. However, even his own thoughts couldn’t shake away the uneasiness he was feeling as he walked up to Lyle.

Turning his attention from Broots, Lyle looked behind him. “Where’s the lab rat at?”

Broots just hoped he could pull this off. “Jarod, didn’t trust you. He can’t take the chance, so he didn’t come,” he lied.

Lyle took a step closer towards Broots, looking straight into his eyes. “Is that the truth, Mr. Broots? You wouldn’t be lying to me now, would you?”

Broots didn’t flinch. “It’s the truth. Personally, I hope you do catch him and put him back in his cage. I can’t believe he would turn his back on saving my daughter,” Broots replied back with bitterness.

They remained silent for a while. Finally, Lyle spoke up. “My, look how the hero has fallen in the eyes of his beholders,” he said with smugness. “See what happens when you put yourself in the hands of the wayward pretender, Mr. Broots?

Broots hated this. He couldn’t help but feel disgusted with himself. “I know. I should’ve known better.” Changing the subject he asked hopefully, “Is Debbie in there?”

Looking away from Broots, Lyle stared off into the distance at the barn. “Yes, I believe she is. Along with Miss Parker.” Letting his gaze fall back on Broots he continued, “Well, let’s get going. I think our chances would be better if we split up. We can cover more ground that way.”

“Okay.” With that, Broots started walking towards the barn.

As Broots walked off, Lyle yelled out to him. “It’s a good thing you take route 14 to work.”

Broots abruptly stopped and turned around. “What did you say?” he asked.

Lyle closed the distance between them as he repeated the question. “I said, it’s a good thing you take route 14 to work, or you probably wouldn’t know where this farm was located.” He then walked past Broots.

Broots stood still, to stunned by Lyle’s words. The realization then dawned on him, blindsiding him with the truth. “This is a trap,” he mumbled under his breath. Lyle has behind this along. Now he knew what was bugging him about the phone call that Lyle placed to Jarod. How did Lyle know his driving patterns to the Centre? How did he know that he drove past this barn every morning when he went to work? But Broots now knew the answer. The only way Lyle could’ve known was if he’s been tailing him this whole time. He must’ve had someone watching his house, following him wherever he went, taking down his daily routines. Lyle was the kidnapper. He was the one who wanted his sister dead. Broots realized that Jarod and him just made a pact with the devil, and now they were walking into the gates of Hell.

Lyle stopped mid stride and turned back around, looking at Broots. “Well, are you coming?” he asked impatiently.

Broots had to admit he was now scared shitless. He didn’t even know if Jarod had made it here yet. He let his eyes dart around the woods, expecting Jarod to just magically appear, however no such thing happened. Looking back at Lyle, he swallowed down the huge lump that was building in his throat. “Yeah, I’m coming,” he answered nervously. “You go on ahead, I just need a couple of seconds to calm my nerves down.”

Lyle didn’t say anything as he nodded to him. When he turned around, Broots quickly scurried over to him and knocked him in the back of his head with the butt of his gun. Lyle collapsed to the ground as the blunt force knocked him out. Quickly looking around again, Broots made his way into the barn.

Hearing the door close, Lyle pushed himself up, rubbing the back of his head. He looked at the barn, smiling to himself. “So predictable,” he said with smugness. Standing up, he dusted himself off. Looking out into the distance he said softly, “I know you’re out there Jarod. It’s time to come meet your maker. You can’t run forever.” Turning on his heels, he headed inside the building.

Once inside, Lyle went over to the opening that was inside the floor. When he reached the bottom the step, the only thing that greeted him was an empty hallway. Walking with an air of confidence, he made his way into the security room. Going over to the monitors he asked, “Any sign of Jarod?”

Kevin gave him a puzzled look. “Jarod?”

“Ah, that’s right, you don’t know who Jarod is, do you?” Keving shook his head at the comment. Lyle continued, “Jarod, was the dark headed man you seen at Raines’ house. He’s a very valuable asset that I need in order for me to take over the Centre.”

“When we find him, do you want us to kill him?” asked Kevin confidently.

Lyle took a step closer. “No, I want him back alive. However, you can shoot him. Just no fatal shots, got it?”

Kevin nodded. “Yes sir.”

Looking back at the monitors Lyle asked, “What about Broots?”

Kevin walked over to the monitors, standing next to Lyle. “He’s walking aimlessly around the hallways, even as we speak.” Glancing as his boss he asked, “Shouldn’t we get him?”

Lyle gave a sly smile as he watched the television screens. “No, not yet. This is all just part of the game. I want them to think they have the upper hand. Just when they see that small ray of hope, we’ll come in and crush it. Sometimes us big cats need to have a little fun with the mice and rats before we devour them.” Changing the subject he asked, “How’s my sister liking her accommodations?”

Kevin cleared his throat, pushing a couple of buttons on the control panel; he brought up Miss Parker’s room. “Well, as you can see, she took the bait.” They watched as Jackson was curled up on the floor, obviously in pain.

Staring intently at the screen, Lyle commented, “Sometimes its too easy.”

XXXXXXX

With blood running down her chin, Miss Parker was thrown down onto the cold concrete floor.

“See, this is what happens when you don’t play nice. You act like a bitch be prepared to be treated like a bitch,” said Jackson with delight. “Oh, what’s the matter? Did I hurt Juliet’s little feelings,” he commented teasingly, as he knelt down beside her.

While keeping her head down, Miss Parker let her hair hide her face. On the ground she could still see the soft glow coming from one of the lights in the hallway. Seeing a possible way out, she pretended to be crying, letting her shoulders shake with effect. She got the response she wanted when the man whose hand she took a bite out of, knelt down beside her. “Morons,” she said to herself.

Cupping his ear with his hand, Jackson said tauntingly, “What sweetheart? Can’t hear you.”

Shooting her head up, she responded. “I said, MORONS.” Then, out of nowhere, Miss Parker kicked his legs out from underneath him. The man let out a surprised gasp as he fell to the floor. Still taking advantage of his surprise, she kicked him in the crotch. Curling into a fetal position the man yelped out in pain. Kneeling down beside him, Miss Parker grabbed him by the collar, bringing him closer to her face. With a smirk she said, “Amateurs.” Backhanding him across the face, she threw him down on the ground. Getting up, she grabbed his gun and headed out the door.

Staying up against the wall, she slowly edged her way down the hallway. She had no idea where she was going; she just knew she had to get out of here. As she got near a corner, she held the gun chest level and took a deep breath. Feeling a little bit more confident, she took a step out. When she stepped out she let out a startled gasp; surprised at the face she was staring at.

XXXXXX

Jarod made it to the barn before Broots. From the outside, there were no sweepers surrounding the building, but there were cameras posted all along the barn. With his binoculars, he was able to see Lyle sitting in the car. Casting the binoculars aside, he snuck his way down the hill, staying out of the cameras and Lyle’s line of vision.

Once he was besides the building, he edged his way near a sewer manhole. Bending down, he lifted the lid with all his might. He almost dropped the lid on his foot when the smell almost overtook him. Bringing out a flashlight, he looked down into the hole. The ladder seemed to go on forever. The only light was coming from his flashlight. He cold see rats, large and small scurrying away from the illumination. Putting the flashlight in his mouth, he climbed own the hole.

Jarod couldn’t believe how bad the stench was. He tried to breathe through his mouth, but it didn’t work. He could feel the nausea slowly working its way up his throat. Trying to push down the awful feeling, he held the flashlight in one hand, while using the collar of his shirt to cover his mouth and nose. With that, he jogged his way down the sewer line, hoping to find a way in.

The tunnel seemed to go on forever. Even though he’s only been in here for no more than five minutes, it felt like an eternity. It felt like the walls were closing in him on him. He kept on dusting himself off. He couldn’t shake the creepy feeling of spiders, and God knows what else crawling all over him. Just when he thought he couldn’t take any more, he saw a faint light. Taking his gun out, he ran towards it.

He could hear feet shuffling above him. He was obviously below the floor. Holding his breath, he listened to what they were saying, but their voices were to far off. When he heard the light flick off, he gingerly lifted the lid off, lifting himself through the floor. He stayed in the crouch position for a couple of minutes, expecting to hear alarms going off. Grateful that none did, he put the lid back on.

He could go through the hallway, but he didn’t want to take the chance. With his flashlight in one hand, he slowly spun around, looking for an air vent. “Eureka!” he said to himself. Standing on a chair, he unscrewed the screen. Once he was inside, he put the screen back in place. Turing around, he crawled through the vents.

After fifteen minutes of crawling, he heard someone crying in the distance. Picking up his speed, he headed towards the sound. When he finally reached the right grate, he looked through the slits to find Debbie lying on a cot, crying to herself. He almost broke through the vent, but thought better of it when he saw the mounted video camera. He knew he needed to disable it, but how?

He could take out his gun and shoot it, but that would bring to much attention to the room. Looking at the camera more closely, he followed the wire that was hooked up to the back. The wire went around the room and disappeared into the wall with the vent. Scooting back, he could see the wire running along the inside of the vent. Taking out his pocketknife, he snapped the line. Acting on pure adrenaline, he pushed open the grate and jumped out. He watched as Debbie instantly bolted up, and scooted away from him.

Jarod quickly walked up to the girl. Putting his hands up in defense he said gently, but urgently, “Listen, I mean no harm. My name is Jarod, and I’m here to help you.”

The girl was frightened. “How do I know you’re not working for them? They could be playing another one of their little games to try and scare me.”

Jarod knelt down in front of the girl. “I’m a friend of your father and Miss Parker. I’m helping them look for you.”

Debbie perked up. “Miss Parker is alive!” Happiness evident in her voice.

Jarod smiled. “Yes, she is, but we have to get out of here. If you still don’t trust me, here,” Jarod paused and reached into his pocket. Bringing out the coin, he held it out in front of Debbie. “Your father gave me this. He understands how frightened you are. I’m hoping this will show you that you can trust me.”

Debbie reached out a hesitant hand, staring at the coin in wonder. “My father’s lucky coin. He takes this with him everywhere he goes. This is something he would never give up.” Looking up at Jarod she said, “If he gave you this, then I know he trusts you.” With more determination she commented, “Let’s go.”

Jumping off the bed, Debbie headed towards the vent. Jarod lifted her up, pushing her in. He had to hurry. He could hear their voices echoing in the hallway. Jarod tried to push himself up, but he lost his footing and fell to the ground. They were getting closer. He couldn’t risk Debbie getting caught. Giving her a solemn look, he ordered, “Go!”

“But, they’re coming. You can’t...”

Jarod interrupted her. “Don’t worry about me. Just follow the vents out.” Jarod put the screen back on.

“No, I can’t do this alone. If they find me again, I’m scared of what they might do,” she cried out.

Jarod was about to reply, when he heard the doors being unlocked. With the grate securely on, he looked through the slits. “Debbie, go now!” he whispered urgently.

Debbie gave Jarod one final look. She could see the despair in his eyes. Taking a deep breath, she gave a reluctant nod and headed through the vents. When she was ten feet away she heard crashing and shouting coming from her room. She was about to go back, but froze when she heard a gunshot go off. Becoming more frightened, she turned around and crawled through the vents as fast as she could. Hearing movement behind her she turned back around. Relief flooded through her body as she saw Jarod crawling towards her.

Giving her a weak smile Jarod said, “See, I told you not to worry about me.”

She couldn’t help but laugh at the comment. Turning back around, they both crawled through the vent.

XXXXXXX

Lyle came running down to Debbie’s room ten minutes later after the security camera went out. Two men were being dragged out of the room. One had had a nasty bloody nose, while the other was bleeding profusely from his leg. He found Kevin standing in the doorway, who seemed to be in a trance like state.

“How could you let them get away?” Lyle spat out.

“It wasn’t my fault. If they just did their jobs like they were suppose to, none of this would be happening,” he replied as he nodded to the injured men.

Putting his hands on his hips, Lyle paced back and forth. Rage blazing in his eyes. “All my hard work is going down the drain. I’ve got imbeciles helping me.” Stopping mid pace, he strode up to Kevin, getting in his face. “Kevin, this is your fault. Don’t try to deny it. You were in charge of the security surrounding Debbie.” Lyle stepped away and turned around. Digging into his pocket, he brought out his gun.

Kevin wasn’t expecting this. “Sir, I can make this up. I’m sorry for the mishap. It won’t happen again,” he begged.

Lyle smirked at him. “You’re right Kevin, it won’t happen again. You’ve used up one too many chances. You were an asset, but has now quickly became a liability.” He paused an added, “It’s time I cut some losses of my own.” Aiming for Kevin’s head, Lyle fired the shot. Kevin’s body fell to the ground, eyes still wide open. Stepping over the body, Lyle ran down the hall, looking for Jarod, Miss Parker, and Broots.

XXXXXXXX

“Miss Parker!” Broots said, startled by her appearance.

“Broots!” exclaimed Miss Parker, letting out a huge sigh of relief.

Broots’ delight at seeing Miss Parker quickly vanished as he remembered where he was. “We have to get out of here. Lyle is the one behind everything,” he said rapidly.

Miss Parker gave him a baffled look. She was about to argue, but she could see the look in Broots’ eyes. He wasn’t lying. “Lead the way. I have no idea as to where I’m going.”

Turning on his heel, Broots led the way. “Wait,” he abruptly stopped. “Did you see Debbie anywhere in here?”

Miss Parker looked around nervously. “No, I haven’t.”

“I can’t leave yet, Miss Parker. I have to find her.” Looking down the hallway he commented, “To get out, just follow the hallway all the way down, take a right, then a left, head down the remaining hallway and you’ll be scott free.”

Miss Parker grabbed Broots by the upper arm, stopping him before he had a chance to run off. “I’m not leaving you down here by yourself.” She released the safety off the gun. “We’ll find her together.”

He shook his head up and down. “Thank you, Miss Parker. That means a lot.”

Flashing him a weak smile, she walked past him, starting the search for Debbie.

It didn’t take long to find Debbie’s room. When Broots saw Kevin lying in the doorway in a pile of blood, panic surged through him. Ignoring Miss Parker’s protests, he ran towards the room. Walking over the body, he went inside the room. There was no Debbie. Part of him was relieved, but the other part was even more frightened. Where was she?

Miss Parker came busting through a few seconds later. She found Broots looking around for any clues as to his daughter’s whereabouts. She could see the agitation on Broots’ face. In a fit of frustration, Broots ripped off the covers on the cot. Going over to the table, he lifted it up and flipped it over. She watched with sympathy as Broots lost his energy and fell to the ground. Putting his face in his hands he wept. “I can’t take this anymore. I can’t take this anymore,” he kept repeating through his muffled cries.

Miss Parker knelt down in front of Broots. “We can’t give up. I’ll be damned if I let Lyle win. Listen to me.” Reaching out, she lifted up his face. “Lyle won’t get away with this. WE WILL find her,” she said with determination.

Broots nodded his head up and down. Starting to feel foolish, he quickly swiped away the tears. Looking around the room again, something caught his eye. Scurrying over, he lifted the piece of paper up. He couldn’t stop the grin that came upon his face.

Miss Parker saw the smile grace his face. Now, she was confused. Getting up, she headed over. “What’s on the paper?” she asked.

“It says –fifty cent was here-,” he replied joyfully.

Miss Parker gave him a bewildered look. “What does that mean?”

“It means, that Jarod has Debbie. She’s safe.” Looking up at Miss Parker he said, “Let’s get out of here.”

Feeling a wave of triumph wash over her, she reached out and hugged Broots. Both were grateful that Debbie was safe and sound. A few tears ran down her face, but they were tears of joy. She looked at Broots, who was also going through the same emotions. Once they gained their composure, they headed out the door.

They knew there weren’t out of the woods yet. They still had the obstacle of Lyle to get over. There was an eerie silence that fell over the barn. The joy that Broots was once feeling was now quickly turning to dread. He just wanted to get out of here and see Debbie.

They made it to the stairs and climbed out. Miss Parker stepped out first, holding her gun out in front of her. She spun around, looking for anything out of the ordinary, but nothing jumped out at her. She glanced back to find Broots stepping out. “Ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” replied Broots.

With guns in hand, they ran across the hay-covered floor, towards the door. Both stopped dead in their tracks when Lyle came into view, blocking their way. “Well, if it isn’t dear old sis and her trusty nerdy sidekick,” he said with glee.

Miss Parker kept her gun trained on Lyle, who was also doing the same thing to her. “Lyle, it’s over. You know you won’t get away with this. Now move,” she commanded.

“I’m afraid I can’t do that sis,” he replied with mocked regret. “You see, you and your friend here need to die. I can’t let you both leave and start spreading nasty rumors about me.”

"Lyle, the only person who’s going to leave this building in a body bag will be you.” She spat out.

“Now, now Miss Parker. Let’s not get hasty. You know you won’t kill me, I know to many things. For instance, I know who put the order out on your beloved Tommy,” he said tauntingly.

“You son of a bitch!” she growled out.

“Now, is that any way to talk about our mother,” he commented with delight. “If your wondering about Debbie and Jarod, you’re too late. They’re already dead.”

“No!” Broots screamed out.

“Oh, yes indeed.” Lyle looked at his sister. He couldn’t hide the enjoyment that was radiating from him. “So, let’s see Miss Parker, what is that, four people you’ve lost because of your love for them.”

“I don’t love, Jarod.” Even she knew that was a lie.

Lyle shook his head sadly at her. “You can deny it all you want, but I know you love the lab rat.” He paused. “Do you ever wonder who suggested you be put on the Jarod pursuit team once he escaped, hmm?”

“My father did.”

Lyle laughed at the absurd answer. “Do you really think are old man and Mr. Raines thought of that, please? I’ve seen the DSA’s of you and Jarod when you were kids. I could see the bond was very strong between you two, and I couldn’t miss the opportunity of manipulating that bond. Here, Mr. Raines and good old Dad thought Sydney was the key to finding Jarod when in actuality it was you. You people are so easy to manipulate sometimes,” he said with confidence.

Miss Parker continued to glare at Lyle. “Lyle, if I know you, which I do, you would enjoy seeing me in pain. If you killed Jarod and Debbie like you said you did, then where are they? You would want to put them on display for everyone to see.” Now it was her turn to smile as she saw Lyle loose some of his confidence. “I’ve called your bluff, little brother. You have nothing and you know it.”

Lyle was becoming furious with himself, because once again he let his sister get the best of him. There was only one thing left for him to do. Throwing the gun to the side he dropped to his knees, and put his hands behind his back. “You win,” he simply said.

Miss Parker was suspicious of Lyle. She knew he had something up his sleeve. “What are you up to, Lyle?”

Lyle shrugged his shoulders in defeat. “I’m up to nothing. It’s time for me to realize I can’t win against you. So, come on, take me to the Triumverate, I know you want to.”

Miss Parker stood in place, keeping the gun on Lyle. Her attention was taken away from Lyle when she heard something to the side of her. Instantly realizing her mistake she looked back at Lyle. He was now on his feet; reaching behind his back he pulled out a gun and fired at her. She pulled the trigger on her gun a second later.

“No, Miss Parker!” she heard Broots shrieked, as he came running after her and tackled her to the ground. The last thing she saw before hitting her head on the ground was Lyle falling back, and the color of crimson blossoming on his white shirt.

XXXXXX

To Be Continued...
You Can Only Cheat Death So Many Times by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 18

Broots slowly eased himself off of Miss Parker, holding a hand to his front left side. He just knew he was going to have a nasty bruise there. When he fell, he must’ve hit his side on something. He looked down at Miss Parker. She was lying down on the ground, slowly coming to. Taking his eyes off of Miss Parker, he looked over at Lyle. He was on the ground, clutching his left shoulder. Half of Lyle’s shirt was covered in blood. Seeing some rope lying on the floor, Broots walked over to it and tied Lyle up.

Once he was done tying Lyle up, Broots looked over at Miss Parker, who was now sitting up and rubbing the back of her head. Taking a couple of steps his vision started becoming blurry. ‘I must’ve hit my head on the ground also,’ he thought wryly. He shook his head a couple of times, trying to get rid of the blurriness. When his eyes came back into focus, he walked back over to Miss Parker.

He couldn’t believe how dizzy he felt when he walked over to her. A couple of times he had to stop to regain some equilibrium. When he finally made it to Miss Parker he gingerly knelt down beside her, trying not to aggravate the bruise on his side. “Miss Parker, are you alright?” he asked with concern.

“I’m okay, except for this pounding headache I now have, courtesy of you,” she replied jokingly. “How about you?” Miss Parker looked over at Broots, surprised at his appearance. He was clutching his left side, grimacing in pain, but trying to hide it. He kept shaking his head, as if he was trying to focus his vision. Plus, he was swaying a bit.

Broots flashed her a weak smile. “I’m alright. Nothing to worry about.”

“Nothing my ass.”

“I know what you’re thinking. I think I hit my...” he stopped mid sentence when he noticed the wet stain on Miss Parker’s black blouse. “Miss Parker, you’re bleeding, you’ve been shot!” he cried out.

Miss Parker followed his eyes, seeing the dark stain on her shirt. Resting her hand on her shirt, she brought her fingers back up. “It’s blood,” she said, stunned by the sight. She lifted up her shirt half way, but didn’t see any injuries. She gasped when she looked back at Broots. He was even paler than he was before, but what shook her to the core was the blood seeping through his left hand. “Broots, I wasn’t shot it was you,” she replied back in disbelief, pointing at his left side.

Broots looked down at his hand and just now noticed the blood seeping through. Taking his hand away from the wound, he slowly lifted up his shirt. Miss Parker gasped at the wound. “Miss Parker, I...I...” Broots didn’t have a chance to finish as he fell to the ground. The shock and adrenaline, that ran through his body having been spent.

Miss Parker instantly sprung up, kneeling beside Broots. Ripping her coat off, she placed the material on the wound, trying to stop the bleeding. ‘No, this can’t be happening,’ she thought miserably. Looking up at Broots’ face, she could see him going in an out of consciousness. “Broots, stay with me. BROOTS!” she cried out frantically, slapping his face.

“Miss Parker, I’m not going to make it. I’m going to die,” he commented sadly, tears running down his face.

Miss Parker looked down at him with watery eyes. Silent tears already streaming down her face. “No, no you’re not. I’ll be damned. I’m not going to let you die.” She looked around the building, trying to find anything to help her friend. When her eyes fell on Lyle, she became furious. He was laughing manically, staring up into the ceiling. “I swear to God Lyle, if Broots dies because of you, so help me, you’ll be missing more than just a thumb,” she yelled out angrily to him.

Through his fit of laughter he replied smugly, “If Broots does die, it isn't because of me, it's because of you. I wasn’t trying to kill him; it was you I was trying to kill. Unfortunately, he just got in the way.”

Miss Parker looked at her brother. It amazed her that she could even be related to this monster. “I can’t believe we share the same mother,” she said with disgust.

“Oh boo hoo hoo. Please Parker, cry me a river,” he commented sarcastically.

If she could, she would’ve got up, ran over to the chair and choked him with her bare hands. She would’ve taken so much pleasure in that, taking the last remnants of his pathetic life away. She was broken from the pleasant thought when Broots starting coughing. “Broots, everything is going to be okay,” she said gently, trying to reassure him, and herself for that matter.

She lifted up her coat, which was now becoming heavier with soaked blood. The wound was still bleeding profusely. She had to do something. “Broots, I know this is asking a lot, but do you think you could get up?” she asked softly.

With a shaky breath he replied, “I’ll try, Miss Parker. But, I can’t make any promises.”

Miss Parker stood beside Broots, helping him up. Knowing he couldn’t stand on his own, she put his arm around her shoulders, letting him lean on her for support. Turning around, they slowly walked to the doors.

“Wait, you can’t leave me here!” Lyle screamed out.

Miss Parker gave Lyle a seething look. “Lyle, its time for you to have a taste of your own medicine.” She paused. “With all that blood on your shirt, you’ll probably attract some nice little animals, looking around for something to eat. My, won’t they have a field day with you.” Looking over to the side, she continued, “Well, look at that, you already have a little visitor.”

Lyle followed Parker’s eyes. Seeing the critter moving along the floor towards him he pleaded, “Please, don’t leave me here.” He froze in pure terror when the rat stopped ten feet from him, as if it was waiting for Miss Parker and Lyle to leave.

“Isn’t it poetic justice, Lyle? Here, you thought one rat would bring you riches, however it seems the rats will always be against you, no matter what,” said Miss Parker tauntingly. “Now you two have fun. I’m sure some of his little friends would want to join the party later on. Bye-bye, Lyle.” With that, Broots and her headed out the door. She smiled to herself when she heard Lyle’s screams.

“PARKER! OH GOD, GET OFF OF ME. NOOOO!”

Miss Parker could feel Broots becoming slack in her arms. She knew he didn’t have much energy left. “Just hang on, Broots. We’re almost to the car.” They were a short distance from the car, when Broots fell to the ground. “Broots, get up. Come on, get up.” Kneeling down by his head, she lifted him under the shoulders, trying to drag him to the car. She knew they were running out of time. She had to hurry.

However, try as she might, she couldn’t get him to the car, he was like a dead weight in her arms. She fell to the ground, feeling so useless and frustrated. Looking out into the distance she screamed out his name. “JAROD, ARE YOU OUT THERE? WE NEED HELP. JAROD!”

“Miss Parker?” asked Broots weakly.

The sound of his voice brought on more tears for her. “Yes,” she whispered out shakily.

Broots grabbed a hold of her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Tell...tell Debbie...that I love her. Tell her...I was blessed...to have a...daughter like her,” he struggled out through the pain.

Miss Parker looked away from Broots, looking into the night sky, trying to fight back the tears that were building within her. Closing her eyes, she took in a deep shaky breath. Even though this was tearing her apart, she had to be strong, for Broots’ sake. She looked back down at the pale man lying in her arms. “Broots, you can tell Debbie this when you see her again,” she said, trying to sound hopeful.

Broots gave her a solemn look, shaking his head sadly. “I’m not going to make it.”

“Stop talking nonsense. Everything will work out, you’ll see,” she said with determination. She looked down at Broots to find a couple of her tears running down his face.

Broots looked away from her, staring off into the distance. “Debbie is such a good kid, isn’t she?”

“Yes, yes she is,” Miss Parker choked out.

Broots looked back at her, tears shimmering and running down his cheeks. “I won’t see her graduate high school or college. I won’t be there to walk her down the aisle when she gets married. I won’t be there to see my first grandchild. I...I don’t want to die, Miss Parker. It’s not fair, she shouldn’t have to go through life without her father.” He winced as a shooting pain ran through his body.

Miss Parker cradled him more closely to her. “Broots, you’re right. It’s not fair for her to go through life without you, but that’s not going to happen, because everything will be okay. You’ll be there for...” she was interrupted when Broots starting coughing. Seeing blood coming out of his mouth, she turned him on his side, letting him spit it out.

Miss Parker knew he didn’t have much time left. This thought sliced through her like a knife. She was again losing someone she loved, a friend who’s been with her through thick and thin. Deciding not to fight back the tears any longer, she wept openly in front of Broots, not ashamed of showing her emotions in front of him.

Broots gave Miss Parker a sympathetic look. “Don’t cry, Miss Parker.” He paused, coughing more blood out. When the hacking subsided, he looked back at Miss Parker. “I want you to know...that I love you...” Broots chuckled at the surprised look on her face. “It’s not...what you think. I...I...” He grimaced in pain, but continued, “At first...I was infatuated with you...but I realized...that your heart belonged to someone else. Besides...could you imagine...us together.”

Miss Parker tried to hold back her laughter, but couldn’t. “Yeah, I could imagine the looks on everyone’s faces if we were together,” she replied jokingly.

Broots laughed out loud, holding his side. When the laughter subsided, he looked at Miss Parker with a more serious face. “I want you...to know...that I...love you like...a friend...well, more like a...sister,” he managed to get out.

Miss Parker looked down at Broots, taken aback by his words. Tears were beginning to stream down her face again. “Broots, you’ve always been like a brother to me. I know this may be hard to believe, but I’ve always wished that you were my brother instead of the thumbless wonder that is Lyle. I know I’ve hounded you and called you names. Personally, I don’t know why you’ve stuck by me, but I’m glad you did.” She paused taking a shaky breath. “Broots, I...I do love you. You’re my lovable moron,” she said with a weak smile.

Broots gave her an astonished look, grinning up at her. Feeling his time running out, he reached out and grabbed Miss Parker’s hand, scared of letting go. He knew he was bleeding internally, drowning in his own blood. He was so scared. “Miss Parker, when I’m gone...please, would you...look out for...Debbie?”

Miss Parker looked down at their tangled hands. “No matter what, I’ll always make sure Debbie is safe and sound.”

“Thank you,” he choked out. They remained in silence until the time came. She could feel Broots slipping away slowly. His hand was losing its grip in hers. She watched with anguish as he struggled for air, trying to stay alive. ‘If there was only a way to ease his pain,’ she thought sadly.

Afraid of the inevitable, she held him more closely to her, rocking them both back and forth. She rested her head on top of his, humming to him through her tears. She could feel her heart breaking inside as her friend slowly faded away from this world.

“I’m so sorry, Broots. This is my entire fault. You got involved in a war that you were never asked to be a part of. You should’ve gotten out when you had the chance. But, I know why you stayed; it was because of Sydney and me. You didn’t want to desert us in our times of need.” She paused, trying to suppress the sobs building within her. “Broots, I’ll be forever grateful to you.”

She didn’t have to open here eyes to know that he passed on. She placed a gentle kiss on top of his head, as she still held him in her arms, not wanting to let go. Resting her face on top of his head, her body shook with uncontrollable sobs. Through the tears she said to herself, “I’m sorry, Broots. I’m so sorry.”

XXXXXXX

To Be Continued...
Saying Goodbye by leochick
Disclaimer: In first chapter.

Chapter 19

Letting out a heavy sigh, Miss Parker gently laid Broots’ head down on the ground. Wiping the remaining tears from both of their faces, she looked out across the grounds towards the barn. She could feel her pain an anguish turning into hate and revenge. Reaching behind her back she brought out her gun an inspected it. Popping the clip back in place, she looked back down at her lost friend. “Broots, your death won’t be in vain. I’ll see to that,” she stated calmly. Standing up, she headed back towards the barn.

Creeping up along the door, she waited a few seconds before making her appearance. Inside, she could hear Lyle whimpering to himself. Walking up behind him, she placed the muzzle of the gun against the back of his head. Lyle instantly sobered up. “Who’s there?” he asked with fear.

She smiled coldly at him. “Your worse nightmare.” Keeping the gun still on him, she went around, standing in front of him.

He slowly began to relax in his chair. “Ah, dear old sis. Let me guess, are you back for round two?” Looking around he asked, “So, where’s your geeky sidekick at?”

Miss Parker took a couple of steps closer, backhanding him across the face. “That’s for me.” She backhanded him again. “That’s for Jarod.” Instead of backhanding him this time, she pulled her fist up, punching him in the face. “That’s for Debbie. And this..” She stopped, and grabbed a hold of his hair. Yanking his face up, she placed the gun up under his chin. “And this is for Broots.” She was just about to pull the trigger when she heard someone calling out to her.

Still keeping her eyes focused on Lyle, she yelled out, “Jarod, get out of here. This doesn’t concern you. Lyle an I are just having a nice little brotherly sisterly talk.” Pulling Lyle’s hair harder she said, “Now, where were we...ah yes, I was just about to decorate the walls with your gray matter.”

Lyle winced at the tugging. “You know you won’t do it. You don’t gave the guts for it like I do.”

Pulling the gun away from his face, she pointed it at his left knee and fired. Lyle’s painful scream filled the building. “You crazy bitch!”

“Miss Parker, what are you doing?” panted Jarod, as he came running up behind her.

“Lyle and me are just having a little fun. Right, little brother?” Grabbing his hair again, she yanked his face up, looking straight into his eyes. His eyes showed no remorse for what he has done. There was nothing behind them. Lyle was just a shell of a man. Lifting her gun up, she pressed it in between his eyes with so much force, that Lyle winced in pain. If she killed Lyle now it wouldn’t be murder since he was already dead to the world. He was like a vampire that sucked the lives out of the innocent people around him. It was time to put this monster back in his grave.

“Do it!” he barked out. “Either way I’m dead.”

“Miss Parker, don’t listen to him. Don’t do it. If you do, you’re just like him,” Jarod pleaded.

She could feel the battle waging inside her head, images flashing through her mind. She could see Debbie standing alone at her father’s grave. Broots lying in a pool of his own blood. The way he gasped for air as he lay dying in her arms. The frightened look on his face as she grabbed her hand, knowing it wasn’t much longer. The DSA of Jarod screaming out in pain as Lyle was torturing him. Her mother’s voice telling her how proud she was of her. A few tears escaped her eyes as she glared at Lyle. She wanted to kill him for all the things he’s done to all of them, but she still couldn’t do it. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t make herself pull the trigger.

As if sensing her pain, Jarod reached out, pushing her extended arm down. Coming out of her trance like state, she gave Jarod a dumbfounded look. “Jarod,” she said softly.

Jarod cast her a sympathetic look. “You’re doing the right thing. I know it might not seem like it, but murder isn’t the answer.” He paused. “Where’s Broots at?”

“He...he’s dead,” she answered hoarsely.

Jarod took a step closer. He must’ve heard wrong. “Say what again?”

“Didn’t you hear her? Your boy is dead,” Lyle answered smugly. “I killed him. It was a nice, slow, painful death.” He paused an added, “Payback, ain’t it a bitch.” That confidence didn’t last long as Miss Parker kicked him in his knee. “Jesus!”

Jarod looked around wild-eyed. It felt like the room was spinning out of control. Broots was dead and it was his fault. If they’d stayed together like Broots wanted, he would still be alive now. Feeling the guilt taking over, he slowly backed away from Lyle and Miss Parker.

Miss Parker took a couple of steps towards Jarod. “What’s wrong?” she asked, baffled by his behavior.

Running a hand through his air he replied, “I...it’s all my fault. I should’ve stayed with him. I knew he was scared, but I thought it would be better for us to split up. That way we could cover more ground.” To ashamed of himself, he looked down at his feet as the guilty tears cascaded down his cheeks.

Miss Parker stopped in front of him, lifting his chin up to look at her. “Jarod, this is not your fault.” Dropping her hand, she looked away from him. She could feel her own guilt consuming her body as the tears started building in her eyes. The last thing she wanted was to break down in front of Lyle and Jarod. Closing her eyes and taking a fortifying breath she looked back up at Jarod. “If it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine.”

Jarod gave her a perplexed look. “What are you talking about?” he asked softly. Jarod could see her bottom lip trembling. Seeing her trying to avoid the question, she turned around. Before she walked away, Jarod reached out and grabbed her hand. She still kept her face from him when he pleaded, “Please, tell me what happened?”

“Where’s Debbie at?” she asked shakily, as she looked around the barn.

“She’s someplace safe and sound,” he answered. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “Please, talk to me, Miss Parker.”

She turned back around. Jarod could see a few tears coming down her cheeks. He reached out wiping the tears away as he caressed her cheek. She closed her eyes for a few, long seconds. He knew she needed a moment to get her thoughts together. Realizing his hand was still lingering on her cheek, he hesitantly pulled away, but was stopped when Miss Parker reached up and kept his hand there. He couldn’t help but be surprised. She then opened up her eyes.

Miss Parker could see the concern on Jarod’s face. Still keeping her hand inside his, she dropped their hands from her face. She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze, letting him know she was all right. Letting go of Jarod’s hand, she started. “Broots an I almost made it, but then we ran into Lyle. We stood in a Mexican standoff for ten minutes, neither one of us budging. Then, I lost my focus. I can’t believe I did something so stupid.” She paused, shaking her head. “Something caught my attention, and I averted my eyes away from Lyle for just a second, but a second was all Lyle needed. I knew I made a mistake when I glanced back at him. I just didn’t realize how fatal it would be.”

Jarod took a step closer, grabbing both her hands. “What happened?”

She looked away from Jarod’s caring brown eyes. Her vision was becoming blurry again with more tears. “Lyle fired first, and I fired a second later. Broots came running after me, tackling me to the ground.” She shot her head back up. “He saved my life,” she choked out. “He took the bullet that was meant for me. I should’ve of died, not Broots...not Broots,” Releasing Jarod’s hands, she covered her face as her sobs racked her body.

Jarod closed the distance between them, and held her in his arms. He could feel her trying to push him away. “Let go of me, Jarod. Let go of me,” she cried out, as she pounded his chest.

Jarod didn’t let go. He held her more tightly as she continued to cry against him. He could feel her struggles becoming less and less with each passing second. Bending his head down he whispered in her ear, “I’m never letting you go. Never.” The struggling ceased for a few moments; the only sound around them was Miss Parker’s muffled cries. Jarod became surprised when Miss Parker wrapped her arms around him, holding onto him for dear life.

Still holding onto him she asked, “Jarod, how am I going to tell Debbie that her father is dead?”

Jarod let out a heavy sigh. Rubbing her back he replied, “I truly don’t know, but we’ll find a way.”

Miss Parker pulled her face away from his chest. “We?”

Jarod let go of her. Reaching out, he held her face in his hands. “Yes ‘we’. You shouldn’t have to go through that alone,” he answered softly. Bending down, he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Miss Parker closed her eyes as his lips brushed against her forehead. Opening up her eyes, she nodded in agreement. She then looked over at Lyle. “What about him?” she asked with disgust.

Jarod gave her a mischievous smile. “Don’t worry about Lyle. He’ll get what’s coming to him.” Changing the subject he said, “Right now, you have to get to Debbie. She’s scared and needs someone familiar around her.”

“Where is she?” she asked.

“She’s...”

They were interrupted by a blood curdling scream coming from outside. They both knew who it was. It was Debbie. Turning on their heels, they ran outside. When they reached Debbie, they both stopped dead in their tracks.

Debbie was kneeling beside her father, cradling him in her arms as she cried into the crook of his neck. “Dad, please wake up. Please, wake up. Wake up.”

The scene broke both of their hearts. Miss Parker glanced over at Jarod. She could see the guilt creeping back into his face, probably just like hers was right now. ‘God, why did it have to come to this,’ she thought to herself sadly. Tucking her gun in the back on her pants, she walked over to Debbie.

Debbie’s head shot up when she saw movement coming from the side of her. Her eyes lit up. Wiping away her tears, she said urgently, “Miss Parker, I’m so glad you’re here. Please, help my father.”

Miss Parker knelt down beside the girl, giving her a solemn look. Debbie was still hanging onto the hope that her father was still alive, and here she comes along crushing the girl’s hope. Reaching out, Miss Parker held Debbie’s right hand in both of hers. “Sweetie, we can’t help your father, because...because...he’s dead,” she said sadly.

Debbie shook her head vigorously from side to side. “No, you’re wrong. Can’t you see, he’s sleeping.”

Miss Parker let go of Debbie’s hand. Cupping Debbie’s face in her hands she said gently, “Debbie, listen to me, your father is dead.”

Debbie shook her face away from Miss Parker’s grasp. “No, you’re lying. He...he’s just sleeping.” Looking behind her, she saw Jarod. “Jarod, tell her. Tell her my father’s sleeping. He’s not dead,” she responded adamantly.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Jarod squatted down by Debbie. “She’s telling the truth, Debbie.”

Debbie looked from side to side. How could they say her father was dead? Why can’t they see he was asleep? She looked back at Miss Parker. With more desperation she asked, “Please help him. Don’t give up on him. Please.”

Miss Parker could feel the waterworks starting up again behind her eyes. ‘Denial was such a common response after someone died,’ she thought solemnly. Taking a deep breath, she looked at Debbie more intently. “Debbie, we...we can’t help him.” She paused. “I know it’s hard to accept, but denying it won’t help. Look at me...your father is dead.”

Debbie’s desperation was starting to turn into anger. “Miss Parker, how can you lie to me? This is a cruel joke you both are playing.” Debbie looked back down at her father. “Dad, tell them how cruel this is. Just wake up and tell them.”

Miss Parker rested her hand on the girl’s shoulder. “Debbie...”

Debbie shook Miss Parker’s hand from her shoulder. Laying her father’s head back down, she got up and stood over Miss Parker. “No, don’t Debbie me! He’s not dead. Stop saying that. He’s not dead,” she spat out. Crossing her arms defensively, she turned away from both of them.

Miss Parker stood back up. She could see reality creeping back into Debbie’s mind, as the girl started to cry. Everything was probably hitting her full force by now. Miss Parker stood behind the girl, having no idea on what to do. “Debbie?” she asked softly.

Debbie turned around, giving Miss Parker a sad look. “My...my daddy’s dead,” she stated sadly. Her voice was almost childlike.

Miss Parker could feel the tears breaking loose from the dam behind her eyes. Giving Debbie a stupefied look, she nodded meekly at her. “Yes, he is.” Without even thinking, Miss Parker walked up to Debbie wrapping her arms around the fragile girl.

Debbie hugged Miss Parker back. Through the tears, Debbie said, “I never had a chance to say goodbye.” Miss Parker remained quiet as the girl continued to cry. “What’s going to happen to me?” asked Debbie curiously.

Miss Parker closed her eyes at the question. The only family Debbie had left was her mother, if you could call her that. Broots did have a brother, but he died in a car accident ten years ago. All of her grandparents were dead. Debbie had no other aunts or uncles. Broots did have a cousin, but he died of cancer eight years ago. Miss Parker came to a sad conclusion. Taking a deep breath she answered, “Debbie, you’ll probably go live with your mother.”

Debbie pulled away from her, looking at her sadly. “My mother,” she sighed. “My father and her are night and day. The last time I saw her was all those years ago at the courthouse.” She paused, an asked shyly, “Do you think she would want me back?”

Truth be told, Miss Parker didn’t know the answer. “Anyone would be crazy to turn you away,” she answered honestly. Debbie began to cry again as she walked back into Miss Parker’s arms.

Jarod walked up to the duo. “Miss Parker, why don’t you take Debbie back to your house and let me take care of things here,” he suggested.

Miss Parker nodded her head in agreement. Keeping one arm around Debbie’s shoulders, she steered the girl towards the car. Once Debbie was settled in the passenger seat, Miss Parker closed the door. Walking around the car to the driver’s side she opened the door and paused, looking over at Jarod. There was so much she wanted to say to him, but she knew that now was not the time. But, she knew Jarod would be back. Before getting in the car she told him, “Thank you.” She then got inside and drove away.

XXXXXXXX

2 DAYS LATER

Miss Parker glanced out of the driver’s side window, staring out at the passing scenery. It was a crisp autumn day, and the sun was shining down brightly from overhead. The sky was a perfect color of blue, with not a cloud in the sky. She looked over at her passenger who seemed more nervous than ever. Reaching over she grabbed the passenger’s hand. “Debbie, everything is going to be okay, you’ll see.” She squeezed Debbie’s hand reassuringly, smiling weakly at her.

Debbie returned the smile, just barely. Miss Parker couldn’t blame the girl. Forty-eight hours ago, her life was turned upside down with the death of her father. When Miss Parker brought her home, the girl went straight to the couch and fell asleep instantly. Afraid of leaving the girl by herself, Miss Parker stayed by her side, sleeping on the plush chair next to the couch. When she woke up, she found the couch empty. Fear instantly took hold of her heart, but just as fast as it came it disappeared when she heard Jarod in the kitchen talking to Debbie.

Instead of barging through, she stopped by the entranceway and listened.

“Jarod, do you think...oh, never mind,” said Debbie.

“What?” Jarod asked curiously.

There was a long pause. “Do you think Miss Parker would take me in if I asked her?” she asked hesitantly.

She could hear Jarod letting out a deep sigh. She knew he was trying to think of the right thing to say to the girl without breaking her heart. “I think she would take you in,” he said matter-of-factly. “But, the circumstances are very complicated for the both of you.”

“Oh, I understand,” she replied in a low voice. “My mother has temporary custody of me, doesn’t she? So, Miss Parker wouldn’t be able to do anything anyways, right?”

“Somewhat.”

There was another long pause. “Jarod, if Miss Parker’s looking for me, tell her I went for a walk.”

Miss Parker heard the chair scoot back as Debbie walked over to the sink, putting her empty dishes inside. She didn’t walk in until the she heard the back door close.

“Good afternoon, Miss Parker,” commented Jarod, as she walked over to the coffee pot, pouring herself a steaming mug of coffee.

Standing in front of the window, Miss Parker looked out across the yard, following Debbie’s retreating form. Taking a sip of coffee, she walked over to the table where Jarod was sitting. “How’s she doing?”

Jarod leaned forward, looking down into his half empty mug. “As well as can be expected.”

Miss Parker nodded at his reply, taking another sip. “What about Broots and Lyle? Where are they?”

“Well, I had Lyle caged up and shipped off to Africa this morning. I’m sure the Triumverate will have some nice accommodations for him. As for Broots, I took him to the morgue.”

“Won’t they ask questions about the gun shot?” she asked worriedly. “You know, they have to report that to the police.”

Jarod put his hand in the air, trying to ease her worry. “It’s all taken care of. As you remember back when...” he stopped, afraid of finishing the sentence.

“Back when Tommy died,” she answered sadly.

Jarod shifted in his seat feeling uncomfortable. “Yeah Tommy. Well, you remember when I told you I had a friend in the morgue?” She nodded and Jarod continued, “Well, he’s helping me out again with Broots.”

“Are you sure you can trust him?”

“Yes, I’m sure. I helped him out on a pretend with his mother. Well, I told him that Broots’ body needed to be kept there until plans were arranged for him. I also told him to keep this a secret. If anyone suspicious comes around, looking for a man that fits Broots’ description, to call me at once.” He paused, an added, “Well, what are you going to do?”

Miss Parker looked away from Jarod, glancing back out the window. “I don’t know.”

“What about Debbie, Miss Parker?”

Miss Parker shook her head sadly at Jarod. “Jarod, I would love to take her in, but I can’t.”

“Why not?” he asked with frustration.

She stared at Jarod. “Because, I promised Broots that I would keep her safe and sound, and the only way to do that is to keep her as far away from Blue Cove as possible. Besides, she needs her mother right now. Not me.”

“How wrong you are, Miss Parker. She needs you more than ever. Together we can help her through this tragedy. Her mother won’t help her. The woman is to busy with her own life. All she does is gamble away her life. There’s no way she’ll understand Debbie’s pain.” Jarod reached across the table, grabbing her hand. “Come with me, Miss Parker. Both Debbie and you.”

Miss Parker looked down at their entangled hands, and then looked across the table towards Jarod. She could see the desperate hope in his eyes, hoping she would say yes to his offer. However, she knew she couldn’t accept the offer. “I’m sorry, Jarod. I can’t go with you.” Snatching her hand back up, she walked over to the sink.

Jarod sighed in defeat. Getting up, he walked over to the sink, standing beside Miss Parker. “I sure hope you know what you’re doing, because it’s not just your life that will be affected by this, but also Debbie’s.” Turning around, he walked to the back door. “Miss Parker, once Debbie is home with her mother, call me and I’ll make sure Broots will be buried close to his daughter.” He opened the door and paused, “Miss Parker, my offer still stands in case you change your mind.” He then walked out the door.

She was broken from her thoughts when she heard Debbie’s voice. “Miss Parker, there’s the exit ramp,” she pointed out.

Miss Parker maneuvered the car over the two lanes and exited the highway. Debbie’s mother lived on the outskirts of Atlantic City. She couldn’t shake the feeling that this was bad idea, having Debbie staying with her mother. Plus, Debbie’s mother didn’t even know they were coming. Miss Parker tried phoning her, but the line was disconnected. Looking around the dingy streets only confirmed her feelings. She glanced over at Debbie, and could see the apprehension building within her. Miss Parker knew she didn’t want to stay with her mother, but it was the only way to keep Debbie safe.

Miss Parker saw the trailer park in the distance, which looked worse than the streets they drove on. She drove slowly down the streets looking for the right trailer number. When she found it, she pulled the car into the gravel driveway and turned off the car. Neither got out of the car as they stared at the beige looking trailer. After five minutes, Debbie glanced over at Miss Parker. “Well, I guess this is it.”

Both got out of the car and walked up the steps to the door. Miss Parker knocked on the door. After the fifth knock the door opened up, revealing a drowsy blonde headed woman. ‘We must’ve woken her,’ Miss Parker thought dryly.

“What do you want?” the woman asked with annoyance.

“I’m Miss Parker. I worked with your ex-husband, David Broots. Could we come in?” asked Miss Parker. She instantly disliked this woman from the get go. The woman unlocked the door, and walked away.

Miss Parker was about to open the door when she felt Debbie tugging on her hand. “What is it?”

Debbie looked at her with glassy eyes. “She doesn’t even know who I am? I’m her daughter, how can she not know her own flesh and blood?” she asked sadly.

Miss Parker was despising this woman even more. “Debbie, give her time. A lot of years have passed since the last time you’ve seen each other. Plus, it looks like she’s just woken up. Just give her time and I’m sure she’ll welcome you back with open arms.” Debbie meekly nodded at her. “Everything’s going to be okay,” she reassured Debbie.

“I hope you’re right,” Debbie mumbled to herself, as she walked past Miss Parker.

They found Debbie’s mother sitting on a hideous yellow couch. Obviously the couch was produced when Nixon was still in office. They took their seats across from her mother. Miss Parker spoke up.

“Ma’am, I have some terrible news. Your ex-husband passed away a couple of days ago. He...”

The woman instantly perked up, interrupting Miss Parker. “Did he leave me any money?” she asked enthusiastically.

Miss Parker bit down on her lip. Here, her ex-husband was dead; leaving Debbie all alone, and all she could think of was money. God, how did Broots ever get mixed up with this woman, she thought to herself. Taking a deep breath she answered with disgust, “No, he didn’t. I’m here to talk about Debbie.”

Debbie watched as her mother looked from Miss Parker to her. She knew her mother didn’t want to be burdened by her. She could already see the dollar signs flashing in her eyes as she looked at her. ‘She probably wants to take my college savings and go to the casinos,’ she thought sadly.

“Debbie, my you’ve gotten so big. I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you.”

Miss Parker was getting angrier. Debbie’s mother didn’t even get up to give her a hug. She just sat there, looking at her as if she was someone else’s child.

“That’s okay,” replied Debbie. “The reason I’m here is because I need a place to stay.”

Debbie’s mother got up and headed for a bottle of vodka on the kitchen counter. “Debbie, I know I’m your mother, but I can’t take you in right now. I’m really sorry about your father, but I just can’t.”

Miss Parker should’ve listened to her instincts and turned the car back around when they were driving here. Debbie shouldn’t go through something like this. Looking over at Debbie, she pulled out a tissue and handed it to her. “Debbie, why don’t you go outside and wait in the car while I talk to your mother,” she suggested. Debbie nodded and ran out the door.

When Miss Parker heard the car door slam, she jumped up and stalked over to the counter. “You are some piece of work, you know that? Your daughter has been to hell and back. Can’t you see she needs you?” Miss Parker spat out.

Debbie’s mother took a swig from her glass. “I can’t take care of her. I can barely take care of myself. Besides, it would interfere with my plans.”

Miss Parker gave her a seething look. “What plans would that be?” she growled out.

“Me and the girls are going out to Vegas for the next couple of months. I can’t be tied down right now. I need the money, and the only chance I’ll have of getting that is out in Vegas.”

Debbie’s mother picked up the vodka bottle to pour herself another glass. Miss Parker ripped the bottle from her shaking hand and threw it across the kitchen. “You bitch!” Debbie’s mother spat out.

“You are truly a pathetic woman. You don’t deserve a daughter like Debbie. I almost feel sorry for you. Well, almost.”

Debbie’s mother threw her arms up in the air in defeat. “Fine, if you feel that strongly about it, then take her off my hands.”

Miss Parker took a step back. “You know what, maybe I will.” She paused. “If you fight me on this, you won’t win. Just so you know, I will fight for her, and I’ll be damned if I let her live with the likes of you.” Walking over to the door she stopped and turned around. “Have a nice day,” she bit out sarcastically. Flashing her a fake smile, she walked out, slamming the door behind her.

Going down the steps, Miss Parker dug into her coat pocket, bringing out her keys. When she looked at the car, she stopped mid stride. Where was Debbie? Running out into the street, she looked around frantically. “Debbie,” she shouted out. “Debbie, where are you?” Seeing a park in the distance, she ran towards it. Five minutes later she found Debbie sitting on a picnic table, with her face in her hands.

Letting out a sigh of relief, she ran over to Debbie and climbed up beside her. “Debbie, what’s wrong?” she asked with concern.

“My father’s dead, and my own mother doesn’t even want me.” She paused, taking a deep, shaky breath. “I have no one,” she said weakly. “I’m all alone in this world.” Feeling the barrage of tears coming on, Debbie covered her face with her hands and wept.

Miss Parker’s heart was breaking for the girl. They were alike in so many ways. Both lost a parent that was dear to them. Both had another parent that didn’t really care for them. Miss Parker was grateful to have Jarod and Sydney in her life when she did, but Debbie didn’t have anyone, except for her and maybe even Jarod. Well, there was also Sydney and Sam. Putting an arm around the girl’s shoulders, she held her more closely. “Debbie, always remember that you’re never alone in this world. Not when I’m here. The same goes for Sydney, Sam, and even Jarod for that matter.”

Debbie looked up at her with uncertainty. “What will happen to me now?” she asked shakily.

Miss Parker took in a deep breath. “You can live with me, sweetheart. I know I can be cranky an irritable, but hey, it comes with the package,” she said light heartily. “So, what do you say? Think you’ll be able to live with me knowing all the facts?”

Debbie grinned up at her, throwing her arms around her neck. “Thank you so much, Miss Parker. You don’t know how much this means to me.” This time, both started crying.

After five minutes of crying, Miss Parker got up from the picnic table. “Let’s go home, Debbie.”

XXXXXXXX

6 MONTHS LATER

“Are you sure you don’t want me to come with you?” asked Miss Parker.

Debbie shook her head. “Yes Miss Parker, I’m sure. There are some things I need to same to him alone.”

“Okay sweetie, I’ll wait in the car until you’re done.” Giving Debbie a quick hug, she got back into the car. Grabbing the bag she put aside, Debbie turned around and followed the path to his grave.

His tombstone sat between two large oak trees, providing plenty of shade. As she walked up to her father’s grave she could smell freshly cut grass mixed with a tinge of charcoal from someone nearby firing up a grill. Putting the bag down by the small, concrete bench, she walked up to her father’s gravestone and knelt down in front of it. She traced the engraving with her fingers.

--David Edward Broots

Born: September 15, 1959 Died: November 10, 2003

“Beloved Father and Friend, Will be cherished always.”


“I miss you so much, Dad,” she whispered out. Bringing her fingertips up to her lips, she gently laid them back down on the tombstone. Getting up, she walked over to the bag. She pulled out a bouquet of flowers and two small bags of Funyons. Both of them loved the snack. Opening up one of the bags, she put it down in front of the tombstone. Grabbing her own bag, she opened it up and sat down on the bench.

She knew people would call her strange for doing this, but she didn’t care. There were times when she could actually see an image of her Dad sitting across from her snacking on the Funyons she brought with her. For her, it gave her a sense of comfort, knowing her father was sitting across from her, snacking on the junk food she brought, listening intently to what she had to say. It was just like old times, from when she was younger.

Looking up into the blue sky, she let the small rays of sunshine warm her face, as if her father was basking her in his love. She couldn’t believe how much things have changed in the past six months.

Once they got back from Atlantic City, Miss Parker called Jarod telling him she was ready to leave. Once they had everything packed, they waited. A few hours later, Sam stopped by, bringing with him a three-year- old boy. It turned out the boy was Miss Parker’s little brother. She never knew Miss Parker had any siblings, let alone a three year old one. Miss Parker told her his name was Adam. Debbie fell in love with the boy instantly. He became the little brother she never had.

Miss Parker pleaded with Sam and Sydney to leave also, but they refused, saying they were needed at the Centre. They told Miss Parker they would keep an eye out for her and Jarod, letting them know if anything should come up. Debbie was still perplexed by that. After they left, Jarod arrived two hours later. Putting all their belongings in the car, they left Blue Cove behind them forever.

She could still remember sitting in the back seat, watching Miss Parker as a few tears slipped from her eyes. Debbie knew Miss Parker gave up everything for the both of them. She would always be forever indebted to Miss Parker. She knew Miss Parker didn’t have to take her in, but she did. Debbie’s prayers came true when Miss Parker told her she would be staying with her. Letting her gaze fall back on the tombstone she commented softly, “Thanks for answering my prayers, Dad.”

After they left Blue Cove, Jarod drove them to a small town in Vermont, where the rest of his family was staying. She noticed the tension in the air when Jarod’s father saw Miss Parker step out, but when Ethan walked over to his sister and hugged her, his father calmed down somewhat, but he still kept a close eye on Miss Parker. However, as the months passed, Miss Parker and Major Charles became like old friends. They loved teaming up on Jarod, always teasing him, trying to rile him up whenever they could. They stayed at the house until the house Jarod had set up for Miss Parker was finished, which was just a mile away.

Debbie and Jarod’s youngest brother, Jeremy, became friends instantly. At first, she was somewhat quiet around everybody, but Jeremy was determined to get her to open up. At first he became a pest, but eventually he grew on Debbie. Now six months later, they were inseparable. They did everything together, including trying to play matchmaker with Jarod and Miss Parker, which they were still unsuccessful at, but she knew it was only a matter of time before Miss Parker and Jarod got together.

“Dad today was my last day of school. I’m officially a senior now. It still feels weird knowing that in another year I’ll be heading off to college. I only wish you could be there to see me graduate, but Miss Parker told me that you will be watching me from up above, with a big grin on your face.” A few tears fell down her cheek.

“Jeremy an I are still trying to play Cupid with Miss Parker and Jarod. We know the hard work will payoff eventually. We both know they love each other, we just can’t understand why they fight it. As for Jeremy, he’s been acting somewhat weird around me lately. I don’t know what his problem is. Whenever I talk about guys in general he gets somewhat jealous. I asked Miss Parker about it. She just smiled at me and told me that Jeremy probably has a crush on me. I don’t really know how I feel about that.

There are times at night when I feel guilty about the life I’m living now. I’ve always wanted Miss Parker for a mother, I just never knew that my father would have to die to make that wish come true. I feel guilty because I’m laughing more, however it’s not with you. I know I shouldn’t feel this way, but I do. If you were standing in front of me right now, I know what you would say, ‘Debbie, you shouldn’t feel guilty. Your happiness is the most important thing to me. I’m glad you’re happy.’ And I know you’re right.”

Getting up, she walked over to her father’s gravestone and took a flower out of the bouquet, placing it on top of her father’s tombstone. She took a step back and looked behind her. Turning back around she said, “Well, I better get going before Miss Parker gets worried. No matter how busy my life becomes, I will never forget you. I love you with all of my heart” Turning around, she wiped away the tears and headed back down to Miss Parker.

XXXXXXXX

THE END
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1722