Let It Be by Melanie Anne
Summary: A Centre plot to catch Jarod backfires and Miss Parker finds herself in an unusual situation.
Categories: Season 4 Characters: Jarod, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Parker, Mr Raines
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 11376 Read: 7929 Published: 12/05/05 Updated: 12/05/05

1. Part 1 by Melanie Anne

2. Part 2 by Melanie Anne

3. Part 3 by Melanie Anne

Part 1 by Melanie Anne
Disclaimer: We all know who Jarod, Miss Parker and the other Pretender characters belong to and it's not me (surprise!). I am taking the liberty of borrowing them but I do promise to return them unharmed…well, most of them anyway. I don't mean any harm and I'm definitely not making any money from this. I should be so lucky! Oh, the title is from a song by the Beatles, long may they reign!
Please r & r. Thanks!

Let It Be
Chapter 1
Melanie-Anne



Jarod was tired of running. It seemed as though it would never end. How many more times would he escape from Miss Parker before his luck ran out? He had a feeling that one of these days she'd get the better of him. He opened the door of his apartment, glad of the chance to relax for a change. He knew he should be on his guard but he was just too tired to care.

If she comes tonight she can have me, he thought, switching on the light.

He froze, staring at the person asleep on his couch.

Miss Parker.

Great, he thought. What the hell is going on? He knew Miss Parker wouldn't come for him on her own, and she would definitely not fall asleep waiting for him. Something was up and he was determined to find out exactly what it was.

***

"Sydney."

"Why is Miss Parker asleep on my couch?" Jarod got straight to the point.

"Jarod!" Sydney smiled when he heard Jarod's voice. "I wondered when you'd get around to calling. I assume you haven't read my note?"

"Your note? You brought her here?"

Before Sydney could reply, Lyle entered the room and he had to end the call.

"Have you seen my dear sister?" Lyle asked, looking tense.

"Not since this afternoon," Sydney lied. "She went home sick."

Lyle didn't believe Sydney but he knew that Sydney would never betray Miss Parker. He decided to bide his time, knowing she'd surface soon enough. He assumed she was off chasing the lab-rat.

"If you see her, tell her our father is looking for her." He left.

Sydney gazed at his retreating form, wondering how it was possible that Catherine had given birth to something so vile.

***

A note, Jarod thought. Where would Sydney leave a note?

He glanced at the still form of Miss Parker. There was no note near or attached to her. He hesitated briefly before glancing through her bag. Nothing. He went into the kitchen, intending to get something to eat and contemplating calling Sydney again when he found it. It was attached to the refrigerator with a ladybird magnet.

Dear Jarod Finding Miss Parker in your apartment is no doubt a tremendous shock. I hope she doesn't shoot you when she wakes up. I gave her a sedative before bringing her to you so you'll be all right until morning. I know I have absolutely no right to ask what I am about to ask of you. Miss Parker is in danger. Someone at the Centre is planning to kill her and until Broots and I can discover who is behind this, this is the only place where she is safe. Please help her, if only because of the friendship you shared as children. You are her refuge, whether you know it or not. She is her mother's child. -Sydney

All thought of food forgotten, Jarod wandered back into the living room. He re-read the letter and sighed, sinking into a chair opposite his hunter. I hope she doesn't shoot you. If she was sedated then she obviously wasn't there by choice. He thought about the letter more, trying to decipher Sydney's words. You are her refuge…she is her mother's child. What the hell does that mean? Refuge…the code word Sydney and I agreed on. Her mother's child… He gave up. Removing the clip from her gun he settled back into his chair and watched her sleep.

***

Jarod woke to the feeling of cold metal pressed against his neck. He opened his eyes and saw Miss Parker standing over him, the barrel of her gun digging into his skin.

"Morning, Sunshine," he croaked. "Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"Spare me the wisecracks, Jarod! What the hell is going on?" she hissed.

He looked at her carefully. She'd obviously grabbed her gun the minute she opened her eyes and seen him sitting across from her. Although her hair was unkempt and her make-up was smudged, her eyes were alert. Jarod eased her gun away from his neck and took Sydney's note from his pocket. He gave it to her and she sat back on the couch, reading it. He disappeared into the kitchen, reappearing minutes later with coffee for her. She accepted it without a word, still reeling from the shock of waking up to Jarod.

"So, Parker," Jarod broke the silence, "who'd want to kill you?"

"You mean besides you?"

"I don't want to kill you," he said quietly.

She raised an eyebrow, obviously not believing him. He wasn't surprised considering that she spent her life surrounded by liars.

"Well, it looks like we're stuck with each other for a while," Jarod said. "Think you can manage to not shoot me?"

She fingered the note and smiled tentatively. "I'll do my best, but I'm not making any promises."

He smiled when she did. He hadn't seen a genuine smile from her in years, not since before her mother died. He was reminded of a young girl who had let him into her heart, only to have her heart broken by lies and deceit and betrayal; a girl who then shut everyone out of her heart to protect herself. He wanted the young girl back.

***

"Uh, Sydney?" A very nervous Broots poked his head around the door.

"Yes?"

"M- Mr. Lyle was asking about Miss Parker."

"And?"

"Well, I…uh, I told him I hadn't see her since yesterday. He didn't say anything but I don't think he believed me."

"Good. Have you found out who issued the order?"

"No, not yet. Whoever it was, covered their tracks well."

Sydney was about to comment when the rattle of a grate disturbed them and Angelo slipped into the room. "Daughter safe now," he said. "With friend."

"Yes, Angelo," Sydney said. "She's safe now. Do you know who wants to hurt her?"

Angelo rocked backwards and forwards. "Bad man. Bad man hurt daughter and friend."

Sydney and Broots looked at each other, startled by the news. Someone wanted Jarod dead.

***

"Nice place," Miss Parker said. "How long have you lived here?"

"I come here when I'm not on a pretend. I didn't realize Sydney knew about it."

"What do you mean?" Her eyes narrowed. "Sydney knew about this place?"

"He must have. I came in and found you asleep on my couch."

Miss Parker was silent. She wasn't sure what to make of the fact that one of Jarod's pursuers had known where he lived.

"We can't stay here anyway," Jarod continued. "Someone could have followed him here."

"So where do you propose we go?" He shrugged and she scowled good-naturedly. "You're the genius - figure something out!"

***

"Angelo, do you know why someone wants to hurt Miss Parker?" Sydney asked.

The empath didn't reply but continued his rocking, deeply disturbed by what he was feeling.

"Uh, I don't think he knows," Broots said.

"Angelo knows!" Angelo said. "Daughter like friend."

Broots was confused. How is Miss Parker like Jarod? Or does Miss Parker like Jarod? Sydney looked mildly surprised. Angelo had confirmed what Sydney had suspected for some time. It certainly explained why she was never able to bring Jarod in.

"What else do you know, Angelo?" he asked gently.

"Bad man." Angelo stopped rocking and looked Sydney straight in the eye. "Hurt daughter. Friend comes. Hurt friend."

"Thank you, Angelo," Sydney said, standing up as Broots stared at them, open-mouthed. "Come on, Broots. We have a 'bad man' to find."

"Maybe Angelo knows who the bad man is?" Broots suggested. They turned to where Broots had been only seconds ago, but he had already disappeared into the ventilation shaft.

***

"There's only one bed!" Miss Parker whirled around and started to walk out of their hotel room but Jarod caught her arm and pulled her back inside. He closed the door.

"I registered us as a couple. A married couple. It would have looked odd if I'd asked for twin beds."

Miss Parker glared at him, her Ice Queen façade coming back full-force. "Why the hell did you do that? I don't give a rat's ass what people think. If you honestly expect me to-"

"I did it because no one would expect us to share a room so if they are onto us, they'll check single bookings," he interrupted her tirade midway.

She had to admit, silently, that he did have a point. He was the one with the genius IQ. But the idea of sharing a bed with Jarod still made her uncomfortable. It was hard enough trying to stay enemies and now she had to sleep with him, in a manner of speaking.

"It's a big bed," he said. She still looked unconvinced. "Look, I'm not going to take advantage of you or anything."

She gave him a funny look that he interpreted as 'try it and I'll kill you'. She was thinking that he was the one in danger of being taken advantage of. Also, she was slightly annoyed that he didn't want to take advantage of her.

"Uh, do you have clothes with you?" Jarod asked, changing the subject. She gestured to what she had on and smiled. "Sydney didn't exactly pack a suitcase for me."

"Well I guess we're going shopping then. All on the Centre, of course." He winked.

She shook her head, trying not to laugh. "Enjoy you freedom while it lasts, Jarod. This can't…won't change anything. I still have a job to do." The truth was, she didn't want him to go back. He'd been her only friend as a child and she knew it was unfair of her to take him back to a place where he'd been so unhappy. Yet her freedom was at stake as well.

The smile disappeared from his face at her words, but he still held out his arm and escorted her outside. She wished that for once she'd had the grace to keep her mouth shut.

***

Later that afternoon both Jarod and Miss Parker had cheered up considerably. They had acted like two kids who'd gotten hold of Daddy's credit card. At Jarod's insistence, Parker had bought a black bikini. He'd told her that she was on vacation and that they'd spend every available moment on the beach. So she gave in, against her better judgement. He seemed intent on spoiling her and she couldn't understand why he was being so nice to her after everything she'd put him through. She tried to assuage her guilt by insisting that he buy something for himself as well.

"So now what?" Parker asked when they had returned to their room. It was late in the day and she was hungry. She always ate more when she was at the coast.

"Get dressed. We're going to dinner tonight. To celebrate."

"Celebrate what?"

"The melting of the Ice Queen."

She smiled and headed into the bathroom. He was reminded again of the young girl she had once been. He remembered the teenage crush he'd had. A crush that was still there, on his side at least. He frowned, knowing he was heading into dangerous territory but not sure whether he had any control over what was happening. He dialed Sydney's number, wanting to hear that it was safe for Parker to go back to Blue Cove.

"Sydney," the soft voice answered.

"You should make Parker take more vacations. She's actually pleasant when we're not playing 'catch the lab-rat'."

"Jarod!" Sydney was pleased to hear from him. "I take it she hasn't shot you yet?"

"My luck's still holding," Jarod replied. "But the sea air seems to agree with her."

So they'd left the apartment, Sydney thought. Good.

"Tell me, Sydney. Jokes aside, who'd want to hurt her?"

"It seems as though the threat to Miss Parker was bait, meant to draw you out of hiding. Unfortunately for whoever is behind it, it backfired and there are now two missing Pretenders. Lyle and Mr. Parker are furious, as you can imagine."

"You don't think they're behind it?" Jarod asked.

"Lyle…maybe. Not her father."

"You sure about that? You're forgetting Thomas."

"He wouldn't hurt his own child." Sydney hoped he sounded more certain than he felt.

"I hope you're right, Syd. For her sake." He hung up.

***

"Gee, Parker. You clean up nice," Jarod said, a little over an hour later. Parker had decided to dress up. She wore a figure hugging, floor-length black dress with thigh-high slits up either side and, of course, black stilettos. Her hair was up, revealing her long neck and to Jarod's eyes she was breathtaking.

"You don't look too bad yourself." She'd also decided to be nice. It wasn't too hard. She meant what she'd said - Jarod looked good. He was wearing a black tux and they were easily the most handsome couple to walk into the restaurant. All eyes were on them as they took their seats.

"Is this your idea of being inconspicuous?" Parker teased, leaning across the table.

"Me? You're the one everyone's staring at. I don't blame them."

She smiled at the unexpected compliment but didn't blush. She knew she looked good and was glad that Jarod had noticed. She felt the same way she had when she'd first met him. "You're beautiful. You must be an angel." Of course, she had been the first girl his own age that he'd seen in the Centre but she had known he'd truly meant it. The same way she knew he meant it now.

"You should smile more often," he said. "You're less intimidating."

"That's exactly why I don't smile. I like being the Ice Princess."

He raised an eyebrow and her smile widened. Unconsciously he reached over and placed his hand over hers and she broke the gaze. "Umm…let's eat," she said.

***

"Are you sure Miss Parker is safe with Jarod?" Broots asked. Most of the Centre employees had gone home and Broots and Sydney were waiting for Angelo.

"She's fine. Jarod would never let anyone hurt her."

"Is he safe with her?" Broots had half-expected Miss Parker to drag Jarod back to the Centre after Sydney had told Broots where she was. Yet two days later neither were there.

"Broots, their bond goes back to childhood. They were friends before they were enemies and I'm sure they'll remember that before they try to kill each other."

Broots kept quiet. Sydney obviously knew more than he was letting on but Broots figured that the less he knew the better. Just then, Angelo climbed out of a ventilation shaft and came towards them, looking upset.

"What's wrong with him?" Broots asked.

"Bad man!"

"Angelo, who is the bad man?" Sydney asked.

"Thumbless man bad," Angelo muttered, creeping back into the shaft.

Sydney and Broots looked at each other, the same thought crossing their minds.

Lyle!

***

Both Jarod and Miss Parker felt uncomfortable when they had to go to bed. They refused to meet each other's gaze and Parker retreated to the bathroom to change. She hesitated before re-entering the room. She had forgotten to buy pajamas and Jarod had given her a shirt and a pair of boxer shorts to sleep in. She appreciated the gesture but still felt uncomfortable. Jarod was already in bed and she slipped in next to him.

"Goodnight, Jarod."

"Night, Parker."

She dreamed.

The young girl crawled out of a ventilation shaft. "Jarod!" she whispered. "Where are you?"

"Boo!" he cried, jumping out from behind his bed.

She cried out in alarm, almost dropping what she held in her hands.

"Sorry," he whispered. "What's that?"

"It's a present for you." She sat on his bed and he sat beside her.

"Why?" He couldn't remember ever having gotten a present before.

"It's Valentine's Day," she answered. "Here." She gave him the carefully wrapped package. He opened it slowly and found a heart in a plastic covering.

"What is it?" he asked.

"It's chocolate." She reached over and unwrapped the chocolate for him. "You eat it."

He hesitated, breaking off a tiny piece and tasting it. A huge grin broke across his face. "Thank you, Parker! It's delicious!" He paused. "But I don't have anything for you."

She smiled, her heart beating faster. "You could give me a kiss," she suggested.

He looked puzzled. "What's that?"

She leaned over and kissed him quickly on his lips. "I love you, Jarod," she whispered.

He smiled, about to say something in return when they heard a noise.

"Bye!" Parker whispered and crawled out through the ventilation shaft, leaving Jarod to absorb what had just happened.


***

The sunlight streaming through the blinds woke Parker. It took her a moment to recall why she was sharing a bed with Jarod, and once the initial urge to shoot him had passed, she was content to watch him sleep. He looked so peaceful, the kind of peaceful that didn't exist within Centre walls. He moaned and shifted position slightly so that he was facing her. She resisted the urge to reach out and touch his chin. The memory of her dream was fresh in her mind and she decided that Jarod would never go back to the Centre, not if she had anything to do with it. The Centre owed him so much; the least she could do was help him keep his freedom.

This time she didn't refrain from touching him. He opened his eyes the second she touched his skin and she guiltily jerked her hand back.

"Morning," he mumbled. "See something you like?"

She scowled and jumped out of the bed, heading for the bathroom.

"I forgot, you're not a morning person," Jarod mumbled, rolling over and going back to sleep.

When Parker emerged a half-hour later, Jarod was still asleep. She hunted for her cell phone and dialed a number.

"Sydney," a groggy voice answered.

"Morning, Syd," Parker purred.

"Parker!"

"Any luck finding out who wants to kill me?"

"Can't you handle Jarod?" he teased.

"Funny."

"Didn't Jarod tell you?"

"Tell me what?" she asked suspiciously.

"You were supposed to be bait to lure Jarod out."

"What?!"

"We think it was Lyle."

"What made him think Jarod would come rescue me?"

"You were his only friend as a child. Perhaps they felt he would feel obligated-"

"Whatever." She hung up and roughly woke Jarod. "Why the hell didn't you tell me it was Lyle?"

What?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.

"I just spoke to Sydney."

"What did he say?" Jarod sat up but she pushed him down again.

"Why didn't you tell me it was Lyle?"

"Lyle! So that's who it is."

Parker was taken aback. "You didn't know?"

He shook his head.

"Oh. Umm…sorry. Want breakfast?" She smiled, wanting him to forget that she'd just practically assaulted him.

"Give me a minute," he said and rolled over.

***

Jarod woke up to an empty room and was instantly alert.

"Parker!" he called.

No response.

"Parker!" He was worried. Could Lyle have found them? He searched the room, his worry increasing. He found a note attached to the bathroom mirror, and smiled. What is with Centre employees and leaving notes? He wondered.

I've gone to the beach. If you ever decide to wake up, join me. You looked too peaceful too wake up. But don't keep me waiting too long or else I'll have to shoot you. Parker.

***

Mr. Parker stormed into Sydney's office. He looked like he was out for blood.

"Where is my daughter?"

"I don't know," Sydney answered truthfully. He paused before continuing. "It appears Miss Parker was in danger. Perhaps she will return when she feels the danger has passed."

Mr. Parker glared at Sydney before stalking out. He was determined to find out where his Angel had gone and who would dare to wish her harm.

***

It wasn't too hard for Jarod to spot Miss Parker. There was a man standing near her, obviously wanting to approach her but unable to find the courage. He chuckled, wondering how many men she'd castrated with her icy glare while she waited for Jarod. He strolled to where she was, making a small detour past an ice-cream vendor. Sitting in the deck chair next to her, he handed her an ice cream and said, "I'm glad I convinced you to go with that bikini."

She glared at him. "I'm not. Do you have any idea how annoying it's been?"

"It?" he asked, confused.

She waved her hand at her would-be suitor who looked away and hastily retreated. "All these men are sick perverts whose only aim in life is to bed as many woman as possible. None of them even had the decency to come up with original pick-up lines. Do you know how many think it's so witty to use pick up lines that no semi-intelligent woman would fall for? Come on!" She rolled her eyes and Jarod couldn't contain a smile.

"I thought you liked all that attention," he said.

"It would have helped if any of them were even remotely good-looking," she grumbled.

He laughed. "So you turned down every single one?" He kept his eyes on her face, not willing to risk her wrath by looking at the rest of her.

"Of course," she said in a sugary-sweet voice and batting her eyelashes. "You know my heart belongs to you."

The devil inside him couldn't resist. He let his gaze travel along her body, savoring what he saw. To his surprise and delight, she didn't slap him. Instead, she asked, "Could you rub sunscreen on my back?"

He nodded, suddenly lost for words. Parker's heartbeat increased its pace when she felt Jarod's hands on her back. Too late, she realized what was happening. The feelings she'd had for him as a child and later as a teenager threatened to burst out from the black hole she'd hidden them in.

"My turn," Jarod said.

She took the lotion from him and poured a small amount into her palm. She hesitated before rubbing it slowly across his back. She tried, unsuccessfully, to hold back a giggle. What would Daddy think if he saw me now?

"What's so funny?" Jarod asked.

"Nothing."

"I don't believe you." He turned to face her but she shook her head and smiled. Jarod lost all will to fight what he was feeling. He leaned forward and kissed her.

She kissed him back.

Eventually he pulled back, a huge smile on his face.

"What?" Parker asked, trying to ignore the feeling of light-headedness.

"I've just made every other guy on this beach jealous!"

She tilted her head, staring at him and said, "You talk too much." She pulled him towards her for another kiss.

***

"I will not have my daughter put in harm's way! I don't care what's at stake!" Mr. Parker was livid. Although not an affectionate man, he did love his daughter. She was one of the few good things he had ever done and he refused to let the Centre use her more than they already had.

"It's not like she would have been in any real danger. Jarod only needed to think that she was in danger." Lyle tried to pacify his father.

"But now she's gone and nobody knows where she is. Not even Sydney knows!"

"Perhaps Jarod has her," Mr. Raines suggested.

"Why do you two fools think Jarod would risk his life, his freedom, to save hers?" Mr. Parker asked.

"He's in love with her," Raines smirked.

Mr. Parker blanched. The thought of his beloved Angel and that…that lab-rat made him feel ill. "Find her," he hissed, leaving the conference room.

***

"Jarod, let's order room service tonight," Parker suggested as they walked, hand-in-hand, back to the hotel.

"Sure," he said. "You okay? Did you get too much sun?"

She shook her head and he glanced away, thoroughly puzzled. There were some things he'd never understand, he decided. One of them being women, especially Miss Parker.

***

"Sydney, when you hear from my daughter could you assure her that she is no longer in any danger?"

Mr. Parker had convinced the Triumvirate not to continue with Raines' plan. He knew his Angel trusted Sydney and that she'd be in contact with him, if anyone.

"Yes, Mr. Parker. Thank you," Sydney said.

Mr. Parker met Sydney's eye and said, "I do love her, you know. If things could be different…." He shrugged and left Sydney's office looking as though he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

***

"I'm going to have a bubble bath," Parker announced from the door leading into the bathroom.

"Okay," Jarod said. "Shall I go ahead and order food or must I wait till you're done?"

Parker took a deep breath. "I was hoping you'd join me. I, uh…need someone to wash my back."

He looked at her and swallowed hard.

"You sure?" he asked.

She held out her hand in invitation and he walked towards her, reminding himself to breathe.

***

Later, while Parker slept, Jarod phoned Sydney.

"I've been waiting for your call, Jarod."

"I have a question, Syd."

"What is it?" Sydney prompted after some silence.

"Would Parker really get her freedom if she brought me back?"

"What do you think, Jarod?" Sydney was intrigued. What's been happening? He wondered.

"I don't know. Has anyone ever really been free of the Centre?"

"I think you already know the answer to that," Sydney replied.

There was another moment of silence before Sydney spoke again. "I have been told that it's quite safe for her to return."

Jarod hung up. On one hand he was glad that Parker was no longer in danger but on the other, he didn't want her to leave. He walked out onto the balcony, trying to sort out his feelings. He may have been a genius but when it came to matters of the heart he was clueless. He didn't know how long he'd been standing there when he felt Parker's arms encircle his waist from behind.

"What's wrong?"

He turned around and she leaned her head against his chest, listening to his heartbeat.

"Sydney says it's safe for you to go back."

She looked up but couldn't see his eyes in the dark, couldn't see what he was feeling. Was that what was wrong? Was he worried that she wanted to take him back to the Centre?

"Jarod, I-"

"Please, Parker." It was a whisper.

"I'm not taking you back. Not now. Not ever," she said firmly.

He looked down at her, trying to process what he'd just heard.

"But what about your freedom?" he eventually asked.

"You're more important. You deserve to be free after everything that they did to you."

He pulled her closer and she laughed.

"Besides, I don't think Daddy would approve of me sneaking down to visit you every night!"

He smiled and said, "Let's go back to bed."

***

Two days after Sydney had spoken to Jarod, neither he nor Miss Parker had returned. Mr. Parker worried that something terrible had happened to her. Broots worried that they had killed each other. Angelo was unusually happy and no one had been able to make any sense out of his ramblings. Sydney hoped that they had run off together, never to return.

A week after Miss Parker's initial disappearance, she breezed back into the Centre, acting as though nothing was out of the ordinary. When questioned, she replied vaguely that she had known she was in danger and had stayed away until she felt safe. She did not mention Jarod at all, although both Sydney and Broots were dying to know what had happened. She had come back different but refused to elaborate. She assured them that Jarod was still alive and that the search would continue.



*****
Part 2 by Melanie Anne
Let It Be
Chapter 2
Melanie-Anne


"You're Jarod," the little girl stated, looking at the boy in front of her. "Why do they keep you down here?"

"I'm a Pretender," he said.

"Are you dangerous?" she asked wide-eyed. It was the first time she had heard of a Pretender and it sounded exciting and dangerous.

He shook his head. "Who are you?"

"Miss Parker. My daddy works here."

He stared at her, enthralled. He didn't remember meeting a girl before, and he'd certainly never met anyone like the girl in front of him. "You're beautiful," he whispered. "You must be an angel."

She smiled. "No, silly!"

There was a moment of silence, more comfortable than awkward.

"Will you be my friend?" the young Miss Parker asked.

Jarod nodded, his smile lighting up his entire face.

"Can I tell you a secret?" she asked.

He said yes, already enamoured with her, willing to do anything for her. She leaned over and whispered something in his ear.

"That's a beautiful name," he said. "Why don't people call you that?"

She shrugged. "Daddy said not to. But you can call me Parker."

"Okay…Parker."


***

Miss Parker rolled over and snuggled into Jarod's chest. He tightened his hold around her.

"I have to get up," she mumbled.

"Mmm…."

She started to get up but he wouldn't let go of her. She kissed him and tried to disentangle herself from his arms.

"No, Parker. Come back," he groaned, grabbing her wrist.

She shook her head. "I have to go before Daddy sends someone to fetch me."

"Fine," he grumbled, releasing her.

"You could always come in with me," she teased.

"For that, you have to pay!" He pulled her back onto the bed and she made no attempt to escape him.

"I'm going to be late."

"They'll manage without you," Jarod said between kisses. "Besides, you have to admit this is more exciting than being at the Centre."

"Mmm…stop talking." She pulled him closer.

***

"You're late." Mr. Parker stared accusingly at his daughter. He'd left a message with Broots that he wanted to see her as soon as she arrived.

"I'm sorry, Daddy. I…overslept. I didn't sleep much last night and then I couldn't get out of bed this morning." It's not the whole truth, Daddy, but it will have to do.

"I just worry about you, that's all."

Liar, she thought, and said, "I know, Daddy. I'm sorry."

"How's the search for Jarod?"

"The same. We keep missing him. It's almost like he does it on purpose, just to taunt us with he fact that he's still free." She hoped she sounded sufficiently bitter.

"You'll catch him, Angel," Mr. Parker tried to sound reassuring. "One of these days he'll slip up and you'll bring him back where he belongs."

"Yes, Daddy. And that's my cue to get back to the search." She left her father's office thinking about the reason she was late. She'd warned him. It was all Jarod's fault, but she couldn't have resisted even if she'd tried. It had been a couple of weeks since she'd last seen him and it had been so good to see him in her bed when she arrived home. She'd missed him and it appeared that he'd missed her too.

"Well, if it isn't my lovely sister. So glad you decided to join us."

Parker stared at Lyle and imagined the pleasure of putting a bullet between his eyes.

"Caught Jarod yet?" he asked although he knew the answer.

She glared at him. "Get out of my way," she hissed, her good mood vanishing more with each passing second in his presence.

***

Miss Parker was in the bath when her cell phone rang. It had been a long day and all she wanted was peace and quiet.

"What?" she snapped.

"Bad day?" Jarod asked.

"You could say that," she said, relaxing. "I've been to Kansas and back looking for you."

"Sorry about that. I couldn't resist. How did Lyle enjoy the trip?"

"Who cares?" Parker closed her eyes, picturing Jarod's face. "Where are you?"

"Unlocking the front door."

"Hurry up! The bath water's getting cold."

"Bubbles?" he asked smiling.

"Mmm…."

***

Three weeks later….

Mr. Parker looked at the faces of the people seated at the table. The stared back at him, unflinching.

"No," Mr. Parker said. "We had an agreement."

"It doesn't look like Jarod is going to return," the man known as Mutambo said. "Miss Parker is a Pretender too. While we wait, she can be trained."

"No," Mr. Parker repeated. "I won't have it."

"Then bring our Pretender back!"

***

"Are you okay, Miss Parker?" Broots asked from behind the relative safety of his computer screen. "You don't look so good."

"I'm fine."

"You sure? 'Cause-"

"Broots!" Her tone suggested that silence would prove less hazardous to his health.

"Uh, okay, Miss Parker."

"Where's Sydney?" she snapped, standing up.

"I don't know." He looked over at her just in time to see her steady herself by reaching out a hand to the wall. He braved another question.

"You sure you're fine?"

"Umm…it's been a long day, Broots. I think I'll head home."

He stared after her as she left the room, thoroughly confused. It wasn't even 12:00 yet.

***

"Pregnant?"

Miss Parker couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Yes, ma'am. Roughly six weeks."

Parker was still stunned. "How could I possibly be pregnant?"

The doctor looked at her, a smile playing on his lips. He loved questions like these. Thinking he was being funny, he said, "Uh, I'd have to guess-"

He was silenced by the icy look she gave him. "I know how, Doctor. It's just…unexpected."

"Are you going to go through with it? I can recommend a few doctors who-"

"Of course I'm going to have the baby!" She liked this doctor less and less. How dare he suggest that she have an abortion? The only thing worrying her was what her father would say. Jarod, she hoped, would be ecstatic. Strangely, because she had never pegged herself as a mother, the idea of carrying Jarod's child thrilled her. She couldn't wait to tell him.

When she got home, she sat in her car for a while, trying to absorb the fact that she was going to be a mother. She wished her mother was able to share this feeling with her. You'd be happy, Mama. I know you'd approve. She thought back to a conversation she'd had with her mother a few weeks before her death.

Miss Parker sat in front of the mirror in her parents' bedroom, watching her mother brush her hair. She glanced at the dressing table and picked up their wedding photo, smiling.

"Mama," she said, "when I'm big I'm going to marry Jarod."

Catherine Parker laughed and to her daughter's ears it was the most beautiful sound in the world. "Really? Does Jarod know?"

"Nope. Not yet, anyway."

"What makes you so sure he wants to marry you?"

"He loves me."

Catherine smiled. "You know, it won't be easy, but if you're happy then nothing else matters. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have for you. Just don't tell Daddy, okay?"

"Okay, Mama."


Only now did Parker understand. If you're happy then nothing else matters. Thank you, Mama.

***

"Good morning, Sydney. Broots." Miss Parker smiled as they walked into her office the next morning. "Any news for me?"

The two men glanced at each other. Miss Parker was unusually cheerful and they didn't know why. They weren't sure whether to be worried or to enjoy it while it lasted.

"Lyle mentioned something about Jarod," Sydney said. Miss Parker's smile vanished as soon as Lyle's name was mentioned. Her good mood evaporated.

Half an hour later Lyle and Miss Parker were on their way to Dallas. Lyle had insisted that Sydney and Broots remain at the Centre so Miss Parker had to put up with Lyle by herself. She didn't like the way he was looking at her; it was almost too intimate. She was used to stares like that from other men, but Lyle was her brother.

"How are you feeling today, Sis?"

"Fine." She wouldn't look at him. Maybe he'll get the hint and kill himself, she thought. She had no such luck.

"You haven't been looking too good these days," Lyle continued. "Are you eating enough?"

She frowned. "Since when do you care, Lyle?"

He leaned across the seat and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. "You are my sister, unfortunately. I've always cared."

She suppressed a shudder at his touch. There was something menacing in his tone and she was starting to feel uncomfortable. I wonder what he meant by 'unfortunately'. Surely not- No. He's not that sick!

***

Miss Parker ran after Jarod, cursing her fondness for inappropriate shoes. Maybe Jarod will rub my feet tonight, she thought, and stopped dead as a shot rang out from behind her. She looked back to see Lyle holding a gun and turned back to Jarod who was now lying in a rapidly growing pool of blood. She knelt beside him and held his hand.

Please, God, if you're there, please don't take him too, she prayed.

"Parker?" Jarod whispered.

"It was Lyle," she said, stroking his face. "I don't know why-"

"I-"

"Shh…don't speak. Save your strength, Jarod. You're going to need it."

"Can't…go…back."

She tried to hold back her tears. "Jarod, you'll die if I leave you here. Let me take you back and I promise I'll get you out again. Please?"

"P-promise?"

"Yes. I promise. Jarod, I-"

"Well, well, well." Lyle joined them. "Looks like I caught your lab-rat for you, sister dear. How about a thank-you kiss?" he smirked.

"Go to hell, Lyle," Parker hissed, glaring up at him. "Why'd you shoot him?"

"He was going to get away - again. If I didn't know you better I'd say you were upset."

The look she gave him would have sent any other man running for his life. It also told him exactly what he suspected.

"Ah…your favorite toy is broken and now you've got nothing to play with," he sneered. "Don't worry, Daddy will find something else to keep his Angel occupied." He grabbed her arm and roughly pulled her to standing. "Leave him for the sweepers."

Parker slapped him. "I will not leave him here to die. You go on back and suck up to the Triumvirate if you want, but I'm going to make sure Jarod gets back to the Centre alive!"

Lyle shrugged and walked nonchalantly away. He wondered how to taunt his father with the information he had on his sister.

***

"Miss Parker? Are you okay?" Sydney asked. He had been on his way to Mr. Parker's office when he spied her curled up on the couch in her office.

She looked up and smiled weakly. "How's Jarod?" she asked.

Sydney sat down next to her. "He lost a lot of blood but he'll be fine - physically. Mentally - " He shrugged. "You know he'd rather die than be here."

Parker nodded. "I couldn't let him die, Syd. I-"

"I know."

"I'm…um…Daddy's going to kill me!"

"What's wrong?"

She leaned closer to whisper in his ear so that her words would not be recorded.

"I'm pregnant."

To Sydney's credit he showed no outward reaction, and merely asked, "Whose?"

"Jarod's."

Sydney smiled. "It explains a lot."

Parker let out a sigh. "Now what?"

Sydney put an arm around her shoulder and said; "Now we wait until he's well enough to leave and then the two of you disappear and live happily ever after."

A tear trickled down Parker's cheek as she asked, "Is there such a thing?"

***

Lyle and Mr. Parker watched the exchange between Sydney and Miss Parker over a video monitor.

"What the hell are they talking about?" Mr. Parker asked, furious that his daughter confided in Sydney and not himself.

"She's in love with Jarod," Lyle replied.

There was one thing Mr. Parker would not allow his daughter to do, and that was to love Jarod. He didn't want to believe she could, but her body language and the tears confirmed his fears. The Triumvirate wanted a child with their combined genes but the union of the parents frightened them. It was, in fact, the reason Miss Parker was put in charge of Jarod's search.

"Kill him!" Mr. Parker hissed.

Lyle hid his smile as he left his father's office. He would kill Jarod, yes, but he would wait for an order from the Tower. In the meantime he would do everything in his power to make Jarod's life a living hell.

***

"Mutambo, you can go ahead with the Nursery project."

"But Jarod is back now."

"Not for long."

"Mr. Parker, don't even think about harming him. We will create the child but we want Jarod alive. He will still be useful until the child is old enough. After that you may do whatever you wish with him."

"But she is a Pretender too!"

"She is untrained. There is no use training her when we already have a trained Pretender, the best Pretender we ever had."

"Mutambo-"

"It has been decided! The Triumvirate will not tolerate insubordination. You will obey, Mr. Parker." Mutambo's tone was final. Mr. Parker did not argue further - he did not have a death wish.

***

Miss Parker woke to a noise. She automatically reached for her gun but it was not where she had left it. A hand clamped over her mouth and a body pinned her to the bed. She struggled, pushing and kicking, and was slapped hard enough to make her ears ring. She glared at her attacker and in that instant the moon broke through the clouds, light pouring into the bedroom. Her eyes widened as she recognized the man.

"Do you have any idea how long I've wanted to do this?" he asked. "You are so beautiful."

He pulled away the covers and ripped Parker's shirt open.

"Parker, Parker," he chastised, "I told you to eat properly."

He leaned forward to kiss her but was interrupted by the ringing of a phone. "Damn it!" he cursed. "Another time, perhaps," and he left as quickly as he had come.

Parker reached for the phone, trembling, and pulled the covers up over her chest. "W-what?" she asked.

"Miss Parker? Are…are you okay?"

"Broots?"

"Yeah…um, there's something you need to see."

"Where are you?"

"At the Centre. Uh, I was, uh, wondering if I could come over."

"What?!"

"I, uh, found something. I think you need to see it."

"Sure, okay." On any other night Parker would have told Broots to go to hell for calling her so late, but she was still shaken. Having a man in the house, albeit Broots, would make her feel slightly safer.

Broots arrived twenty minutes later. Parker had showered and dressed, and was waiting on her couch, gun in hand.

"Spit it out, Broots!"

"Uh, I was on the Net, you know, and-"

"I don't have all night."

"Sorry. Well, Angelo gave me this." He thrust a folder at her and she opened it hesitantly, uncertain if she wanted to know what it contained.

Subject #01729879 Female Red File Subject #00637275 Male Red File Compatible. Suitable for further use. Possibility for success: 95%

Included with the report were two photographs. One of Jarod and the other of Miss Parker. #01729879 was written on the back of Miss Parker's and #00637275 on the back of Jarod's.

"Broots, what is this?" Parker was pale.

"Uh, I punched these numbers into the Centre mainframe and got a name: Nursery. Any idea what that is?"

"It's a code name. The Triumvirate wanted a Pretender they could train from infancy. They were going to create their own Pretender."

"From you and Jarod?"

"I thought the project had been dumped. I never knew they wanted to use us."

"Maybe you should, uh, take a vacation or something," Broots suggested.

Parker smiled and Broots thought he'd never seen her look sadder. He reached out and held her hand, unconsciously giving her support.

"We need to get Jarod out," she said. "And I have a debt to pay."

***

"Good morning, Angel."

Miss Parker looked up and saw her father standing in the doorway of her office. He was holding a mug of coffee. Parker smiled. Be nice, she told herself.

"Morning, Daddy."

"I brought you some coffee."

"Thank you."

What do you want? Parker asked in her head. You've never brought me coffee before.

"Angel, you know the agreement you had with the Triumvirate about bringing Jarod back? The one where you could leave the Centre?"

Parker nodded, her eyes darkening as she saw where this was heading.

"They've amended it to include Major Charles and the boy."

"But, Daddy-" She stood up, protesting, and felt dizzy. The coffee, she thought, there was something in the coffee!

"Daddy-" she pleaded and then everything went black. Mr. Parker called for Sam who carried her down to the infirmary.

***

Lyle calmly wiped the blood from his lip. "Really, Jarod," Lyle said. "I expected more from you."

Jarod glared at Lyle, wanting to hit him again but unable to break free of Willie's tight grip.

"How was she for you? Hot, I bet. She's not at all as cold and frigid as she pretends to be. Last night I found that out firsthand. You really should encourage her to eat more, she's looking very thin."

Jarod pulled but Willie held firm. "You son of a bitch! How dare you touch her!" he screamed.

"Oh, Jarod. She invited me to touch her. Told me I was the best she'd ever had. But I bet she tells that to all the boys. Is that what she told you, Willie?"

Willie nodded, playing along. He was enjoying this, watching Jarod squirm.

"And, Jarod, please don't insult my mother again. Parker wouldn't appreciate it."

Lyle nodded to Willie and they left. Jarod sank to the floor, not wanting to believe what he'd been told. He heard a noise from the ventilation shaft and moved closer to it.

"Angelo?"

"Friend not worry. Bad man liar. Daughter safe. Baby safe."

Baby?

"Safe for now," Angelo amended.

"Thank you, Angelo," Jarod whispered. His mind whirled. Baby? Safe for now? If Parker was pregnant they were in more danger than he'd thought. He started thinking of an escape plan.

***

"Mr. Parker, Mr. Raines?"

The two men turned to the nervous nurse.

"Is it done?" Raines asked.

The nurse looked down. "Uh, sir, there's a problem. The patient is already pregnant."

The unexpected news stunned both men. At that moment the phone rang. Mr. Parker answered.

"Yes?"

"I understand the subject is already pregnant?"

"Yes, Mutambo, she is. Do you want the baby aborted?"

"No. It will be a Pretender regardless of the father. When it is born you may try again."

Mutambo hung up and Mr. Parker turned to Raines. "They want the child."

Raines nodded and Mr. Parker went to see his daughter who was now awake.

"Daddy, what happened?" she asked.

"You fainted, Angel. I brought you down here for a check up." He paused. "Did you know you were pregnant?"

Miss Parker nodded. You're going to have to Pretend for all your life is worth, she told herself.

"Whose is it?" Mr. Parker asked gently.

"Uh, I don't know."

"You don't know?"

Quick! Think of something!

"It was a one-night stand…I don't usually do that but I was so lonely after Tommy and…I don't know. I never thought…." She trailed off, hoping she sounded suitably ashamed and penitent.

"It's okay, Angel." Mr. Parker had a sudden flash of guilt. This is what she told Sydney. She was too embarrassed to tell me. She's not with Jarod. When does Lyle ever tell the truth? His mind clearing her of the unforgivable sin, he stroked her hair, soothing her.

Angelo sat watching them from a ventilation shaft. "Good, good," he mumbled. "Safe for now."

*****
Part 3 by Melanie Anne
Let It Be
Chapter 3
Melanie-Anne




Miss Parker was driving home from her prenatal checkup when her cell phone rang. She thought for a moment that it was Jarod but then remembered that he was back at the Centre. She hadn't been allowed to see him since he'd been brought back. She missed him. Sydney had told her that he wasn't coping too well in solitary confinement so they'd extended his living area and allowed him some of the luxuries he'd grown accustomed to in the outside world. Like Pez. And ice cream. She'd only found out later that these were rewards for SIMS. It sickened her how they treated him like an animal.

Her phone stooped ringing. She didn't care. All she wanted was for Jarod to escape so they could live together and raise their child far away from the Centre. And maybe get married. And have more babies. She smiled and thought that there could be nothing better than a life like that.

A golden M signaled a MacDonalds and Parker suddenly found herself craving apple pie. She pulled into the parking lot and entered with a distinct feeling that this baby was going to share Jarod's addiction to junk food.

The phone rang again and Parker answered with a mouthful of apple pie.

"What?"

"Miss Parker?"

She swallowed. "Sydney?"

"Parker, where are you? Can you come back to the Centre?" Sydney sounded worried or upset, she couldn't decide which.

"Sure. You like apple pie?"

"Parker?" He sounded surprised.

"Yeah, I know. Not the healthiest option on the menu but-"

"Please, just hurry." The urgency with which he uttered those words shut her up. She left, taking apple pie for Sydney and Broots. Pregnancy had brought out Parker's generous side. The hormonal changes meant that she was happier and friendlier, although her bad moods were considerably worse.

She ate Broots and Sydney's apple pies on the way to the Centre and blamed it on the baby. Sydney and Broots were waiting for her in her office but before they could say anything her chair swiveled around to reveal a smug Lyle.

"Well, Sis. It looks like your lab rat is dead."

Parker stared at Lyle in shock. "Liar," she hissed.

"He tried to escape and he, uh…proved to be…expendable."

Parker's knees collapsed. She couldn't help it. Luckily Broots caught her before she hit the floor and guided her to the couch. Lyle smirked at Parker's loss of control and left, congratulating himself on a job well done.

Parker looked at Sydney. "Is it true?" she whispered.

He didn't answer. He didn't have to. Parker saw the loss in his eyes.

"I'm sorry," Broots said, his hand on Parker's shoulder.

She felt sick. It's not fair, her mind screamed. She ran to the bathroom and threw up.

***

Lyle looked at the man in front of him. He contemplated telling him what he'd done, but decided it wouldn't be as destructive as a lie.

"Parker's pregnant, Jarod. Did you knock her up?"

Jarod glared at Lyle, a look of pure hatred in his eyes.

"You know, I don't appreciate you fooling around with my sister. Look at you, you'll never see her again. Do you want to know why she hasn't been down to see you?"

Jarod didn't speak.

"She's ashamed. She doesn't want your child. But then again, it's funny how everything works out for the good of the Centre in the end." He paused, wanting his next words to have an effect. "She's decided to give it to the Centre. With your genes and Parker's genes we'll finally have the perfect Pretender."

Lyle smiled when he saw the look of agony on Jarod's face. Mission accomplished. He punched Jarod hard in his stomach and whispered, "That's for sleeping with Parker. You're lucky, really. I killed her last lover."

Angelo watched the scene from a ventilation shaft. He could hardly move for the pain he felt from his friend.

***

"Syd, could you drive me home?" Parker asked when she returned to her office. Sydney didn't look up. He was sitting on the couch, his head in his hands. Parker looked at Broots.

"I'll drive," he offered.

She nodded, afraid to speak for fear of crying. Broots gently guided Sydney out of the Centre, Parker following. He drove them all to Parker's house.

"Uh, can Sydney stay here tonight?" he asked.

"Yeah. You're welcome to as well."

Broots shook his head. "Thanks, but I gotta get back to Debbie."

"Thank you, Broots," Parker said. He drove off and Parker went back inside, sitting beside Sydney. Beyond words, she hugged him and the two of them finally gave in to tears.

***

A week had passed and Miss Parker felt like dying. The one thing holding her to sanity was the life growing inside her. She didn't want to face life without Jarod but she knew she had to. Sydney wasn't coping any better than she was. They both came to work late and left early. Only Broots was holding them together. But Parker didn't know how much longer she'd be able to last. Each day drove her further to the edge and her hatred for the Centre, and Lyle in particular, increased each time she entered the building.

***

"Friend!"

Jarod woke to Angelo's voice.

"What is it?"

"Follow Angelo. Daughter needs you."

Jarod obeyed. He climbed into the shaft and followed Angelo to freedom.

***

Miss Parker stared at the gun in her hands. She turned it over carefully before closing her eyes and putting it down. She headed into her bathroom, picked up her razor blade and smiled sadly.

Yes. This one. I'm sorry, Jarod. I wish I could have gone on but I can't do it without you.

She took a deep breath and slowly drew the blade along her wrist. She bit her lip at the pain and watched in fascination as the blood ran down her arm and into the basin. Tears poured down her cheeks and she wished that things had happened differently. Wished that she had stayed on that beach with Jarod.

I'm sorry, Mama. I can't. I'm not strong like you.

"Jarod," she whispered, barely feeling the pain as she opened her other wrist.

I love you, Jarod. I wish I'd told you. See you soon.

"What the hell are you doing?" a voice growled from behind her.

She looked up and saw Jarod's face reflecting in the mirror. Knowing that she'd gone mad she cried harder and turned around, expecting no one to be there.

Jarod grabbed two towels and wrapped her wounds.

"Are you really ashamed?" he asked. "Don't you want our baby?"

She looked at him, lost for words. You're alive? Am I dreaming? Am I already dead?

"Jarod," she whispered. "I missed you so much."

And then she passed out, Jarod catching her. He carried her to her car and drove to a hospital, praying that he wouldn't be too late.

***

"Gone?"

"Yes. I don't know how-" Lyle began.

"He's a genius! That's how!" Mutambo snapped.

"Well, we still have Parker's baby."

That seemed to pacify Mutambo who then hung up. Lyle sat down and cursed his bad luck.

***

Jarod carried the unconscious Miss Parker into the emergency room. The attending physician took one look at them and rushed over.

"She cut her wrists…I don't know why…please," Jarod was babbling. He was scared that Parker would die. He blamed himself because of what Lyle had told him.

"We'll take her from here, sir," the doctor said.

"Please, I'm a doctor too." Jarod wanted to be near her.

"Alright, but you're in no state to help. You can watch, okay?"

Jarod nodded. Don't die on me, Parker! He thought back to a time when he'd been so depressed. It was Parker who had told him that death was not an option. "What about me, Jarod? Would you just leave me alone?" He had though, the first time he escaped he'd left her to the Centre. He had left her alone.

"I'm sorry, Parker," he whispered.

Parker woke up to two voices. One was Jarod's - no, he's dead! - and the other was a woman's.

"I'll call you when she wakes."

"Mr. Stevens, I have a busy schedule. I'd like to speak with her now," the woman said.

"Please?"

"Jarod?" Parker said. Her throat was dry and it was hard to speak.

Both Jarod and the woman turned to Parker. Jarod rushed to her side, kissing her forehead.

"Mr. Stevens, I need to speak with her alone." The woman's voice was firm but the last thing Parker wanted was to let Jarod out of her sight.

"It's alright. He can stay," she whispered.

Jarod looked at the woman with a look of triumph.

"Very well. Mrs. Stevens, I am Dr. Fisher. I'm a psychiatrist."

Parker looked at Jarod and asked to speak to Sydney. "He doesn't know you're here," Jarod told her. "They won't release you until you speak to her."

Parker sighed. "Fine."

"Mrs. Stevens, are you unhappy at all?" Dr. Fisher asked.

"No," Parker said softly. "Everything's fine now." She squeezed Jarod's hand and smiled at him. Dr. Fisher noted this and wrote Seeks attention in Parker's file.

"Mrs. Stevens, what made you hurt yourself? Do you remember hurting yourself?"

Parker switched into Ice Queen mode and turned on the doctor. "Don't patronize me! My brother told me Jarod was dead and I decided I didn't want to live without him. Okay? And don't try to psychoanalyze me - there's no way you've got enough experience or training to deal with my demons!"

Jarod hid his smile and Dr. Fisher nodded, writing aggressive behavior in her file. Then she left.

Parker turned to Jarod and reached up to touch his face. "I'm so sorry. Lyle said-"

He held a finger to her lips, shushing her. "He lied. About a lot of things."

"I love you." She said it. He smiled and leaned down to kiss her.

"And I love you."

"I couldn't visit you. Daddy wouldn't let me. I wanted to, so many times but-"

"It's okay, Parker. We're going to get away, somewhere they'll never be able to touch us and we'll raise our baby together and everything will be perfect."

"I- I'm a Pretender too, Jarod. They were going to create a child from us and use it-"

"Shh. I know."

"So I told Daddy I didn't know who the father to keep her safe."

"Her?" Jarod's face lit up.

"I'm not sure yet. It-"

He silenced her with a kiss.

***

"She's missing too?"

Lyle nodded. "There was blood in her bathroom. Her blood. I don't know if she went willingly or not. I don't even know if she is still alive. There was a lot of blood."

"What were you doing there anyway?" Mr. Parker asked.

"Uh, I was worried about her. I thought Jarod might go after her. He's obsessed with her, you know."

Mr. Parker took a deep breath. "Find her, Lyle. If he does anything to her-"

***

One month later…

Parker was standing on the front porch of the house she and Jarod shared. She felt the baby kick and smiled, wondering what her child would grow up to be like. She hoped they wouldn't have to have a life on the run. Absentmindedly rubbing the scar on her wrist, she cursed herself for being so foolish. If Jarod hadn't come when he had-

She pushed the thought aside and went inside. It was time for bed.

They were woken by a noise downstairs.

"Stay here," Jarod whispered.

She nodded and slid her gun underneath her pillow, taking it off safety. She waited. Jarod didn't return. A muffled thump made her sit up, her heart pounding wildly. She noticed movement from the corner of her eye but before she could react she was shoved down.

"Miss me?" a voice asked.

"Where's Jarod?"

"Don't worry. He won't be permanently damaged. Willie's taking care of him."

"Lyle, if you-"

"Shh, Sis. We've got some unfinished business." He kissed her roughly and she slipped her gun out and shot him. The bullet pierced his heart, leaving him conscious long enough to hear Parker say, "I hope you burn in hell, brother."

She was about to go downstairs when Willie appeared in the doorway, his gun held to Jarod's head.

"You're coming back with me," he said.

Parker looked helplessly at Jarod. "I'm sorry," he mouthed.

"Okay," Parker said to the sweeper. "Let's go."

***

"You worthless tramp!" Mr. Parker accused. "You're just like your mother!"

"I'm glad I'm like my mother. Rather her than you!" Parker shot back.

He slapped her. "You killed your own brother!"

"He wanted to rape me! How sick is that?"

"Liar!"

"I'm glad he's dead. I wish he wasn't my brother. I wish you weren't my father!"

Mr. Parker stared at her for a long time. When he spoke again his voice was cold and hard.

"Is it Jarod's?"

"Yes." Parker looked him straight in the eye.

Mr. Parker nodded slowly and summoned Willie. "Get her out of my sight," he ordered.

Sydney and Broots watched helplessly as Miss Parker was taken to a room. Mr. Parker turned to Sydney, hostile and accusing.

"I don't want them too see each other. When the child is born it will be taken away and you will tell them nothing of it."

Sydney nodded, the lump in his throat preventing him from speaking.

"Good. Jarod is waiting for you in the SIM-lab."

***

Miss Parker lay on the bed, her arms crossed protectively over her stomach. She couldn't believe her father had reacted so badly. What hurt her most was that he clearly cared more about Lyle than her. She didn't regret killing him. If anything, she regretted that she hadn't put an end to him sooner. It astounded her how sick he was. She tried not to think about the fact that he had been sexually attracted to his sister.

She thought about Jarod, wondering what they were doing to him, and prayed that he was okay. She heard a noise in the ventilation shaft and sat up sharply.

"Angelo?" she asked quietly.

"Daughter follow. Hurry."

She didn't question him. Pulling on her shoes she climbed into the vent and followed him. When they reached freedom Angelo pressed a case into her hands and telling her to go to Debbie, disappeared back into the Centre.

***

"Is she okay?" Jarod asked worriedly.

"Jarod - I can't say," Sydney replied.

Jarod cursed and slammed his hand against the wall in frustration.

"That won't help you," Sydney said.

Jarod glared at the man he had once thought of as a father.

"I love her, Syd."

"Shh, talking like that will only get you killed."

"I would rather be dead than not have her."

The finality with which Jarod uttered those words surprised Sydney. Jarod had often said that he would die rather than be a prisoner again but this was the first time that Sydney believed he truly meant it.

***

Mutambo was pleased. The runaway Pretenders were back and very soon the Triumvirate would have their super-Pretender. He smiled at Mr. Parker and Dr. Raines.

"We have no further use for Jarod," Raines was saying. "He is uncooperative and refuses to listen to even Sydney."

"Kill him," Mr. Parker suggested.

Mutambo studied the two men carefully before continuing. He knew that Raines wanted Jarod to experiment with and he knew that M. Parker hated Jarod because of his relationship with Miss Parker. He nodded.

"Very well. And when the child is born you may dispose of its mother after removing more eggs."

Both Mr. Parker and Raines nodded and left the Tower office, leaving Mutambo alone with his thoughts.

***

Jarod followed Angelo through the ventilation shafts. This is becoming a little too familiar, he thought. Sydney was waiting for them outside. Angelo looked back at the Centre and smiled sadly as they drove away.

"Now," he said, and Sydney dialed a number.

They met Broots, Debbie and Miss Parker in a motel just outside of Blue Cove. Then they waited.

***

The FBI was waiting for Sydney's call. When it came they swept into the Centre, arresting anybody who wasn't already locked away on the various sub-levels.

It as finally over. The case Angelo had given Parker contained the whereabouts of Jarod's family as well as the truth regarding the death of Catherine Parker. Miss Parker was devastated to read of how involved her father had been in ruining her life and not once did she visit him in prison. Jarod and his family were reunited and Jarod and Parker were married one month after the birth of Catherine Faith.

The members of the Triumvirate mysteriously died before the case went to court and Raines committed suicide while awaiting sentencing.

Jarod and Parker finally had their happily-ever-after.

*******

FINIS
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1233