Better Late Than Never by Melanie Anne
Summary: Written in response to Mickey's letter challenge. Miss Parker finally figures it out :o)
Categories: Season 4 Characters: Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 9446 Read: 31466 Published: 12/05/05 Updated: 12/05/05

1. Part 1 by Melanie Anne

2. Part 2 by Melanie Anne

3. Part 3 by Melanie Anne

4. Part 4 by Melanie Anne

5. Part 5 by Melanie Anne

6. Part 6 by Melanie Anne

7. Part 7 by Melanie Anne

Part 1 by Melanie Anne
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters. Please don't sue me.

Notes: Okey-dokey . . . this started out as a response to Mickey's letter challenge and ended up spending the better part of last year just sitting on my hard drive. When a couple of people asked for more, I thought I might as well do a bit of spring-cleaning, and fix up a few mistakes. Anyway, here's the latest version. Enjoy J

Better Late Than Never

Chapter 1

Melanie-Anne

Jarod felt the man push him against the alley wall and jerked his elbow backwards, hoping to break free. He heard the man gasp in surprise and then felt a sharp pain in his lower back. Sliding to the floor, he realized he was bleeding. His vision started blurring and there was a high-pitched buzzing in his ears. As he succumbed to the darkness he thought of Parker and wished he'd had the chance to tell her . . .

*

2 weeks later . . .

"Anything?" Miss Parker drummed her fingers irritably on her desk.

"N-no, sorry, Miss Parker," Broots stammered, staring at his feet.

"You'd better be."

"Come now, Parker. Maybe he's too busy with a Pretend to leave breadcrumbs for us to follow," Sydney said.

"No." Parker sighed. "He'd make the time. He always has." He's mad at me and he has every right to be.

"Maybe he's sick."

"Yes," Parker muttered. "Broots, check hospital records for anyone matching Jarod's description."

"Countrywide?" Broots asked unhappily.

Parker nodded. She doubted that Broots would find anything but at least it was something to do. She had a horrible feeling that she would never hear from Jarod again.

Please don't give up on me, she prayed silently.

*

A phone call woke Parker at 2am. She jumped out of bed, hoping it was Jarod.

"Yes?"

"Uh, Miss Parker?"

"Broots?" The tech was brave to call at this hour of the morning.

"I, uh, I think I found him."

"What?"

"Well, I started searching Delaware hospitals 'cause I didn't really know where else to start and-"

"Get to the point."

"St. Matthews hospital has an unidentified white male patient who matches Jarod's description."

"Where is it?'

"Right here in Blue Cove . . . uh, Miss Parker?"

"Yes?"

"He's in a coma, in intensive care."

Parker suddenly felt like a planet had just hit her.

"Thank you, Broots."

No, no, no! Please let him be okay!

She dressed hurriedly and pausing briefly to look up the hospital's address, hopped in her car and sped away.

*

"I'm afraid that it isn't looking good at all," a tiny nun said to Parker.

"Please, I just need to see if it's him."

The nun led her to the ICU and Parker had to fight back tears when she realized that it was in fact Jarod.

"Oh, Jarod," she whispered.

The nun squeezed her hand.

"I'm so sorry, Miss."

"What happened?" Parker asked, her eyes never leaving Jarod.

"We're not sure. He was stabbed, probably during a mugging. By the time he was found he had lost a considerable amount of blood."

"How long has he been here?"

"Just over two weeks now. Here, sit down, Miss."

Parker held Jarod's hand, watching the machine breathe for him. She wiped away tears with the back of her hand and didn't hear what the nun was saying.

"Sorry?"

"I said his things are in that cupboard, if you want them."

"Thank you," Parker whispered as the nun left. "Oh, Jarod, how could you let this happen?"

Glancing at the cupboard, she reached over to open it. It contained the DSA case and a bloodstained envelope. Parker picked up the envelope and saw her name on the front. Biting her lip, she opened it and began to read.

Dear Parker

Why do we continue to play this game day after day? I am tired of it, despite what you think mind games are not my style. I don't care who is wrong or right anymore. I just want us to be able to have a 'normal' conversation sometimes. I don't want the rude remarks or the tantalizing clues; I just want to be able to talk to you like we used to. Do you remember that? We used to talk all the time. You were always the only one who could understand me.


Parker looked up at Jarod, tears pouring down her cheeks. She no longer cared about being strong or being the Ice Queen. She put the letter down and walked over to the window. It had started raining and she watched people rush in and out of the emergency room doors.

"Excuse me," a voice said.

"Yes?"

"Uh, we were wondering if you could shed some light on this man's identity."

Parker turned to see a young doctor standing in the doorway.

"His name is Jarod, uh, Gates."

"And you are?"

"Parker."

"I see," said the doctor, although he didn't. "How are you connected?"

"I'm his wife," she said without thinking.

"Ah, we need to speak."

"About?"

"Your husband might not recover. Even if he does the chances are great that he has suffered permanent brain damage."

Parker shook her head, hating the stranger for telling her this. Oh, Jarod!

"Have you considered donating his organs?"

"What?!"

"There's a chance-"

"Get out!" Parker hissed and the doctor fled, startled at the sudden change in her.

She returned to Jarod's side, laying her hand gently against his cheek. Remembering the letter, she continued reading.

When did we become enemies? Can you not stand me anymore because you blame me for leaving the Centre? I had to leave, the Centre is evil. That is what I have been trying to tell you all along. I am sorry. I just thought that maybe, just maybe, if you could forgive me, it could be like it used to be between us. Before whatever happened to us happened. I don't even remember exactly what happened. You'd think that I would remember something like that, but I guess it is just another one of the precious memories that are forever lost, thanks in part to the Centre.

Parker couldn't finish it. She stood up and stretched.

"Don't go away, Jarod. I'll be right back."

She walked out onto the corridor. Spying the same nun she had encountered earlier, she asked where she could find coffee. Returning to Jarod's room a few minutes later, she picked up the letter.

I miss you, Parker, more than you could ever know. I'm not asking you to be my best friend again. I saw something in your eyes when we kissed, well, almost kissed anyway. I saw a glimpse of the old you in front of the fire at Ocee's and I realized just how much I missed it. I know you said I run, you chase, but from the tone in your voice I can tell you didn't mean that with all your heart. I'm just asking you to think about us. Just…think about it. Think about the way we used to be and the way we are now. Then when and if you make a decision about how you really want things to be between us, to just let me know. Right now, just think about it. That's all I'm asking. Just please don't take another 20 years. I haven't got all the time in the world you know. BUT you also know that I won't give up until I get an answer. Even if I get an answer and I don't like it, I still probably won't give up. I haven't yet. You know me and you know where to find me. I'll be waiting.

Always,

J.


Finally finished, all Parker could do was stare at the piece of paper she held. Her hands were shaking and the paper was moist, she realized, from her tears. She looked at Jarod. He seemed peaceful, regardless of all the wires and tubes.

He's going to die, Parker realized numbly. Tell him, you owe him that much.

"Jar," she began, "I . . . I wish it didn't have to end like this. I have something I have to say to you . . . I don't blame you, okay? You're as much a victim of the Centre as I am. And you know what's funny? I only realized just now that I'm a victim. You showed me. You showed me that it didn't have to be like that. That there is life away from the Centre . . . Jarod, you don't need my forgiveness. I need yours.

"You're right, you know. I didn't mean it when I said 'you run, I chase'. You know why we stopped being friends? Because Daddy told me that you didn't want to see me anymore, that you hated me 'cause I got to go outside and you didn't. I'm sorry I believed him.

"Why'd you have to go and get hurt? Do you know you could die? What am I supposed to do without you?" she sobbed.

"Well, Jarod, here's your answer. I guess you were right about not having all the time in the world, huh? So, uh, what I'm trying to say is that I wish I had kissed you. You were right. I love you, Jarod. I always have, ever since I was a little girl and I'm sorry I never told you while there was still time to do something about it."

She leaned across him and kissed him, not caring about the tubes blocking his mouth.

What did you expect? Him to miraculously wake up when you kissed him? Aren't you too old to believe in fairy tales?

"I love you."

She ran out, not knowing where she was running to but needing to get out. She stood in the rain, her arms wrapped around her chest as she sobbed.

When she had calmed down she turned around and walked back to Jarod's room, ignoring the strange looks she was getting from the people she passed. She didn't want Jarod to die alone. Nearing his room she saw doctors and nurses rushing in and out.

Oh no!

"It's okay, Miss. He woke up," the nun said.

"He's awake?" Parker was sure she'd heard wrong.

The nun nodded and smiled when she saw the look of pure happiness on Parker's face. She hugged her and gestured for her to go see him.

Thank you, Parker whispered as she entered Jarod's room.
Part 2 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never

Chapter 2

Melanie-Anne

"Jarod?" Parker stared at the man on the bed. "Jarod, do you know where you are?"

He looked at her blankly and she felt her heart constrict. Please say you know who I am!

"Jarod, it's me. It's Parker. You're in a hospital. Do you remember what happened?"

He shook his head slightly and she saw no recognition in his eyes. It was a struggle for her not to cry.

"Jarod-"

She gently touched his cheek and he closed his eyes, falling asleep almost instantly.

No, no, NO! It's not fair! Why doesn't he know me? How can he not know me? After everything that's happened…Jarod, I love you. Please don't do this.

"It's usual for patients who have been in a coma for a while to suffer from amnesia," one of the doctors said. "He should regain his memory with time."

"S-someone mentioned brain damage." Parker's throat was dry.

"Well, that can only be determined when he wakes up again and we can run some tests."

Parker nodded silently. The doctor left her alone with Jarod.

*

Hours later . . .

"Excuse me, Mrs. Uh-"

"Gates," Parker said, her eyes not leaving Jarod for a second.

"Mrs. Gates, don't you think you should go home and rest for a bit?" suggested a nurse.

Parker shook her head.

"Well, uh, is there something I can get you? You're going to get sick if you don't change out of those wet clothes."

"What? Oh." Parker had forgotten that she had stood in the rain. She realized she was cold and shivering and saw the wisdom in the nurse's words.

"You're right. I'll go home and change in a little while."

Some time after the nurse left Parker remembered that she hadn't called Sydney yet. She pulled her cell phone out and dialed his number.

"Sydney."

"Did I wake you?" Parker asked, not really caring whether or not she had.

"It's alright. What's wrong?"

"Umm . . . I found Jarod. Well, Broots did actually but I'm with him now and it's not looking so good but I don't want to-"

"Miss Parker, slow down. Start at the beginning."

She told him about finding out where Jarod was, rushing to see him, finding him in a coma and him waking up. "He didn't recognize me," she finished. "They think there might be brain damage."

"I'll be right there."

Parker was so tired. She sat down and, wanting to hold Jarod, settled for laying her arm across his chest. She could feel his heartbeat and prayed again for him to be okay.

*

Sydney walked into Jarod's room and found Parker sleeping, her head resting on Jarod's mid-section and one hand entwined in his. He had been steeling himself for the worst but it was still a shock to see Jarod like that.

He said a silent prayer for Jarod before waking Parker.

"Thanks for coming," she said awkwardly.

A nurse entered, breaking the tension.

"Mrs. Gates, I - oh, hello," she greeted Sydney.

"Uh, this is my father," Parker said.

"Oh, well, I just wanted to tell you that the neurosurgeon will be coming by later today."

"Thank you," Sydney said and Parker whispered, "Neurosurgeon?"

He pulled her into a hug, wanting to comfort her as well as drawing comfort for himself.

"Why are your clothes wet?" he asked.

"I got caught in the rain."

"Go home and change. I'll stay with him and if anything happens I'll call you."

"Okay." She picked up her things and walking towards the door. Then she stopped and looked back at the figure on the bed.

Sydney spoke, half a smile on his face. "Mrs. Gates?"

"I, uh-"

"Go. Get some rest."

He sat in the chair Parker had previously occupied, alarmed at how much this was affecting her. He had always known that she cared about the Pretender but had never realized the depth of her affection until now.

Affection? Or love? Is it possible that she could love him?

He felt something crackle beneath him and pulled out the letter, now tearstained as well as bloodstained. Reading it, everything fell into place and he finally understood why Jarod had never completely left the Centre behind him.

*

Parker stood in her shower, not caring that the water was hot, too hot. She couldn't feel it.

Please, God, let him remember me. Let him get better and I swear I'll make it up to him.

Pulling out an old cardboard shoebox from her closet, she began digging through it. Thoughts of her mother came unbidden to her mind but she pushed them aside. At the bottom of the box was what she sought.

A black and white photograph of her and Jarod as children.

She could remember the day it was taken as clearly as if it had just happened.

"Miss Parker, I have a surprise for you!" Jarod called excitedly, peering down at her through an air vent.

She looked up.

"I'm busy."

"Please, it will only take a minute," he begged.

Unable to refuse him anything she agreed. Jarod and Timmy helped her up and they crawled through the vents until they reached their secret room.

"What's the surprise?" Parker demanded.

Jarod and Timmy shared a smile.

"Well?" Parker asked.

"Timmy's going to be working with Raines from tomorrow so we decided to have a party."

She looked around the room, wrinkling her nose. It was obvious the boys had never been to a real party.

"Why? It's not like Raines is anything special," Parker said.

"Yeah, but we won't be seeing him for a while. I thought it would be nice," Jarod said defensively, his feelings obviously hurt.

"Aw, come on, Jar. Don't get upset," Parker said by way of apology.

"Tell her about the camera," Timmy prodded.

Jarod brightened and pulled an old camera from a box.

"Look what I - what we found," he said proudly.

Parker took one look at the camera and wisely kept her mouth shut.

"Hey, Timmy! Take a picture of me and Miss Parker!"

Timmy happily took the photo but refused to have one taken of himself. Parker promised that she'd ask her mother to develop the film so that they could each have a copy when Timmy was finished with Raines.

"See you soon," Parker said to Timmy, hugging him and then Jarod before crawling back into the vents.


*

"Hey, Syd."

Sydney looked up to see a better-looking Miss Parker than the one who had left only two hours ago.

"Shouldn't you be sleeping?" he chided.

"I couldn't. Did he wake up again?"

"No. But they removed the tube from his throat and they say he's looking better."

"And the, uh, the neurosurgeon?"

"He hasn't come by yet."

With that they lapsed into silence, both wanting to say that which they couldn't find the words for.

Parker stood watching over Jarod, gently stroking his hair. Sydney couldn't keep quiet any longer.

"I read your letter," he blurted out, holding it towards her.

"So you know," she said simply.

"Miss Parker, I love him like I love Nicholas. In many ways he's more my son than Nic is. Tell me truthfully, how do you feel about him?"

She smiled sadly, opening her mouth to speak when Jarod opened his eyes. She gasped in surprise and whispered, "Syd!"
Part 3 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never
Chapter 3
Melanie-Anne


Jarod looked from Parker to Sydney and a look of panic flashed across his face. He struggled, trying to sit but Parker gently restrained him.

"Hey, relax."

"P-please. Don't m-make me go b-b-back," he begged.

"It's okay, I won't," she promised, speaking gently.

"Please. C-can't!"

"Shh . . . Syd! Help me!"

"Jarod, we're not here to take you back to the Centre. Don't worry."

The combination of Sydney's soothing tone and Parker's gentle touch seemed to calm Jarod. He stared at Parker, looking confused.

"W-why are you here then?" His throat hurt. What happened?

"What?"

"Where am I?"

"You're in hospital, Jarod." You remember me! "You were stabbed and you lost a lot of blood. You were in a coma for two weeks and they were beginning to think you weren't going to make it. Some stupid doctor even asked me if I would consider donating your organs." She smiled faintly, still stroking his hair.

"Why you?" he asked.

"What?"

"Didn't you stab me?" he demanded, not really thinking she had, but curious nonetheless.

Parker gaped at him, wanting to say something, anything, but her mouth stubbornly refused to function.

"How dare you?" she finally demanded. "If I'd wanted you dead, don't you think I'd have done a proper job?"

"Parker," Sydney cautioned.

"To think I've been worried sick over where you've been! I should have just left you!"

"Miss Parker-"

She stopped speaking and took a deep breath, willing herself to stay calm. "I need a cigarette," she muttered, stalking out.

Sydney sat down and began explaining what had happened.

*

Parker sat outside. It was drizzling again but it was the only place to smoke and she had been desperate.

Stupid, stupid, stupid! You can't even speak to him for five minutes without fighting.

She took a deep drag and closed her eyes as she exhaled.

I'm trying hard to be nice, honestly, but it's so hard. How could he think I would stab him? I know I threaten to shoot him all the time but it's not like I mean it.

The rain was falling harder and Parker stubbed out the remainder of her cigarette before heading back inside. Not willing to face Jarod just yet, she bought coffee for herself and Sydney.

At least he recognized you this time, she thought with a tiny smile.

"Is this a private party or can anyone join?" she asked, stepping into the room and stopping short at the sight of a strange man. "Oh. Hello."

"Hi, you must be Mrs. Gates. I'm Dr. Hein Sharman," the man said.

"I, yes, uh . . . you're the neurosurgeon?"

"Yes. We won't be able to assess the extent of the damage or if there's any damage at all until Jarod's feeling a little better."

"He recognized me straight away when he woke the second time. That's good, right?"

"They've been bantering as usual," Sydney added with a smile.

"Well, that is good," Dr. Sharman said. "I still want to run the tests, though."

"Umm, okay. That's okay with you, right, Jarod?"

"Sure, sweetie," he grinned.

Parker bit back a retort. She simply smiled and handed Sydney his coffee, drinking hers quickly.

"You'll get heartburn," Jarod cautioned.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with your brain, is there, Wonderboy?" She said sarcastically.

"Wonderboy?"

"You do know we're not really married?"

He sighed. "I thought it was too good to be true. Although-"

She glared at him.

"Syd explained everything. I'm curious as to why you said you were my wife and not a sister."

She ignored the last comment and asked, "And you believe I didn't stab you?"

He nodded.

"'Cause I'd never hurt you, you know that, right?"

There was an awkward moment of silence where Parker was wondering just when her mouth had developed a life of its own and Jarod tried to fit things into place inside his head. Sydney decided it was time to leave the lovebirds alone.

"I'm going to go home and get some rest," Sydney said. "What shall I tell Raines?"

"Oh, umm, make something up. It doesn't matter."

"Right. 'Bye, Jarod. I hope you're feeling better. If she gets to be too much just call a nurse."

"Syd!" Parker was incensed.

"'Bye, Syd!" Jarod called after his friend.

Parker and Jarod stared at each other and Parker was reminded of the staring contests they used to have when they were children. She inevitably won all of them and this time was no exception.

"Why are you here, Parker?"

"I- uh, Broots found you."

"How did he know where to look?" Jarod prodded. This was like drawing blood from a stone.

"I was worried about you," she confessed. "You just vanished and . . . I was worried, that's all."

"Why? Scared you'd lost your chance to bring me in?"

She shook her head.

"No, I thought you were mad at me for what I'd said. You know, the whole 'you run, I chase' thing. Do you remember that?"

"Yeah. I, uh, have something for you. In my jacket pocket-"

"Jarod, how conscious were you when you were unconscious?" Parker interrupted.

He laughed.

"What?"

"Well, I said some things and I was, umm . . . wondering how much you heard." She stood up and walked to the window.

"Things like what?"

"You're not going to make this easy on me, are you?"

He didn't reply so she turned to see he'd managed to maneuver himself into a sitting position.

"Well?" he asked.

"I read your letter," she began and saw a smile creep onto his face. "Uh, I guess . . . damn, this was easier when you weren't looking at me!"

Somehow she ended up sitting on the edge of his bed although she didn't remember walking across the room.

"And?"

"And what?"

"What did you think?"

"Of what?"

"The letter."

"Oh, that. Well, as much as I hate to admit it, you were right and I was wrong."

"Speak up, I can't hear you," he said with a smile.

And then she kissed him, or he kissed her. They were still arguing about it when Dr. Sharman walked back in.

"We're ready for you now, Mr. Gates."

Jarod was surprised by the look of worry on Parker's face.

"Hey, I'm okay," he said.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the photograph of the two of them, the one Timmy had taken.

"Keep this close," she whispered and leaned forward until their foreheads touched. "I'll be waiting for you."

He smiled. "See you in a bit. Uh, could you get me some PEZ?"

"Anything."

"Another kiss?"

Resisting her natural urge to protest, she gave in. As he was wheeled out, Jarod looked back over his shoulder and said, "This time it was definitely you who kissed me!"

"Stop pushing your luck. Or no PEZ!" Parker called back and she settled into a comfortable position for some well-deserved rest.
Part 4 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never
Chapter 4
Melanie-Anne




"Mrs. Gates?"

Parker yawned, opening her eyes. She looked up to see a nurse and snapped to attention.

"Yes? Is something wrong?"

"Not at all, ma'am. Your husband is being transferred to a different floor and he asked me to let you know," the nurse said.

"Which floor?"

"Six. Neurological research."

"Why? Is there a problem?" He seemed fine. What could possibly be wrong?

"You'll have to speak to Dr. Sharman about that."

*

"Hey," Jarod greeted Parker with a smile. "Did you get me PEZ?"

She shook her head. Is that all you're worried about? PEZ?

"I fell asleep."

"Oh, well it's good that you got some rest."

"How are you feeling?" she asked hesitantly.

"Great. I don't know why they won't let me leave." He sounded grumpy.

"You were in a coma for two weeks," she reminded him. "I'm not surprised that they want to check everything's working properly."

Jarod lowered his voice. "I saw the results. Everything's fine. Something's up and I don't like it."

Parker frowned but refrained from commenting when Dr. Sharman entered.

"Good, I'm glad you're both here. There's something I wanted to discuss with you."

Parker glanced at Jarod and noted his neutral expression. She decided to go for the concerned wife approach. Hell, it's not like I'm not worried, she thought.

"Is something wrong, Doctor?"

"It's nothing serious, we hope. The CAT scan showed a remarkable amount of brain activity and the results of his bloodwork were . . . interesting, to say the least. Mr. Gates, have you ever had your IQ tested?"

"Yes."

"Do you happen to know what it is?" Dr. Sharman asked casually.

"No," Parker answered quickly. Jarod was right, something was definitely going on. "Why?"

"We'd like to run a few more tests, maybe test your IQ again." Dr. Sharman walked to the door and added, almost as an afterthought, "You two don't have any children, do you?"

"Not for a few more months," Parker said sweetly, causing Jarod to choke on his cooldrink.

"What?" he asked as soon as they were alone.

"If he thinks I'm pregnant we have a better chance of finding out what he wants. You're right, again. Something is definitely going on and it smells like the Centre."

"In what way?"

"Your bloodwork, for one thing. He obviously spotted the Pretender gene. And he was fishing for your IQ and any children we might have."

"Do you think it's possible he's involved with the Centre? He didn't recognize you," Jarod mused.

"Maybe he's just an outside agent, paid to tell the Centre whenever someone with the gene crops up," Parker suggested.

They were silent for a while.

"What now? Am I well enough to leave?" Jarod wondered aloud.

"You're the doctor, you tell me."

"I don't want to make anyone suspicious. I just hope no one who knows who I am shows up."

"Tell you what, I'll get Broots to run a check on this Dr. Sharman. If he's dirty we'll get you out. It could be he's just curious and he thinks he's discovered something new." She smiled. "Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't go back there."

"Why the change of heart, Parker?"

She shrugged and looked at the ground.

"I don't know. I was . . . I thought . . . you were in a coma and they told me you were probably going to die . . . and—" she broke off. "I just don't know."

Jarod took her hand and she looked up and smiled at him.

"I love you, Parker."

"I . . . I'd better go get Broots started on that search," she mumbled, unable to say that she loved him in return.

Jarod was hurt but he said nothing.

"I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay."

She leaned over to kiss him goodbye and almost decided not to go. In fact, she would have stayed had Dr. Sharman not chosen to enter just then.

"Bye," she whispered to Jarod and gave the doctor a curt nod.

"Bye, honey!" Jarod called after her and she couldn't help smiling all the way to her car.

*

"I'm sorry, Miss Parker, there's no record of anyone called Hein Sharman, never mind any doctor with that name."

Broots looked up from his computer screen, scrunching his eyes to focus on his co-worker. Parker was pacing behind him, a coffee mug in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

"Syd," she frowned, looking at the man seated on the couch, "how does the Centre find out about people who carry the Pretender gene?"

"Most of the time it's through NuGenesis but every now and then the Centre gets a call from one of the doctors on its payroll."

"So it's entirely possible that this doctor could actually work for the Centre?"

Sydney nodded. "It's more than likely. Especially since he apparently doesn't exist."

Parker opened her mouth to speak when Lyle entered the office, prompting her to take a drag of her cigarette instead.

"Hello, Sis," he said with false warmth.

"Lyle."

"Find Jarod yet?"

"He hasn't contacted us or left us a lead for over two weeks now, you know that."

Lyle nodded.

"Just checking, Sis."

"Is that the reason you're gracing us with your presence?" Parker asked sarcastically.

"No. Sydney is the reason I'm here."

Parker raised an eyebrow and perched herself on the edge of the desk. Lyle eyed her long legs appreciatively before looking at Sydney.

"We may have a new Pretender for you," he said. "There is a man in a hospital near here who is carrying the Pretender gene. He also has a pregnant wife."

"Your point?" Parker asked.

"The child will probably be a Pretender. One which we can train from birth."

Parker did her best to remain outwardly calm. "You're going to kidnap the wife?"

Lyle nodded, smiling. "It's a pleasant surprise to find out that we think alike after all. Dad will be so proud."

"I'm sure." Parker's voice was cold. "What's the plan?"

"My contact will let me know when she returns to visit her husband and then you can go get her for me."

Parker turned to Sydney when Lyle had left, letting her laughter escape.

"I fail to see what you find so amusing, Miss Parker. Sooner or later Lyle will find out that it's Jarod in that hospital and that you were posing as his wife."

"What else is there to do but laugh, Syd? He expects me to kidnap myself!"

"Umm, Miss Parker, what are you going to do?" Broots felt brave enough to ask.

She stared at the door Lyle had just left through, a smile playing on her lips.

"I think I have an idea…."
Part 5 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never

Chapter 5

Melanie-Anne



Sydney sighed and stood up, walking across the room to close the door. "Well, let's hear it then."

"He wants us to kidnap 'Mrs. Gates' so . . ." Parker trailed off. The smile vanished from her face as she slowly got to her feet. "Lyle knows."

Broots looked from Parker to Sydney, his expression of confusion mirroring the older man's. "Uh, what does Lyle know?"

Parker stubbed out her cigarette. "He knows it's Jarod. He's setting us up."

"How could he know?"

"You know how anal Lyle is about being at the centre of the action. Why would he send us to kidnap someone when he could do the job just as well himself—"

"Unless he's waiting to catch you in an act of betrayal," Sydney finished.

Parker nodded. "So now we need to figure out how to get Jarod out of that hospital before Lyle gets hold of him."

"Uh, Miss Parker, if you don't mind. I have a suggestion . . ."

*

"I never thought I'd see the day where you got to be the getaway driver." Parker laughed, but there was no malice in her tone. Sydney smiled at her from the driver's seat.

"One could say something similar about you, Parker." He stepped out and closed the car door, looking around the hospital parking lot for any sign of the Centre. Parker smiled ruefully and tugged at the nun's habit that covered her from head to toe.

"I don't think my hemline's been this low since I was five."

Sydney chuckled softly and helped her adjust the wimple. "Broots is right, no one's going to look twice at you in this outfit."

"Yeah. Where did you come up with the idea anyway?"

Broots shrugged. "I was watching Nuns On The Run with Debbie the other day. You know, where the two crooks . . ." He caught Parker's look and trailed off. "It's pretty funny, you should see it."

Parker stepped back and turned around. "Well. How do I look?"

"Oh, I think you'll pass." Sydney smiled and handed her the gun. "You might need this."

"Thanks. You two ready?"

Broots and Sydney nodded.

"Okay. Let's get this show on the road."

Broots pulled on a baseball cap and headed towards the entrance. Parker followed a short distance behind, her head bowed slightly to hide her face. Broots stopped at the reception to ask a question. Parker kept walking until she reached the elevator. She pressed the arrow for 'Up' and waited. Broots came to stand next to her and they smiled at each other politely, as strangers would. It seemed an interminably long ride to the sixth floor. Broots let Parker step out first and followed her to Jarod's room. He closed the door behind them and wiped beads of sweat from his forehead.

"You're the prettiest nun I've ever seen. What do you think, Broots?" Jarod put down the comic he'd been reading and smiled.

"Answer that and I'll be the last nun you ever see. This is no time to be making jokes, Jarod." Parker helped Jarod into a wheelchair while Broots took a white coat out of his backpack.

"Why this whole rigmarole?" Jarod asked.

"I'm being set up. Somehow Lyle knows it's you and he's waiting for me to rush in and get you out."

"Which is exactly what you're doing."

"Well, I can't just leave you here. Besides, he'd never expect me to come here looking like this. And don't even think about commenting on that."

Jarod just smiled and looked at Broots. "Sister Parker and Doctor Broots. I never thought I'd see the day."

Parker just shook her head. Trust Jarod to find the humor in this situation. She looked out the window to check that Sydney was in position and turned back to Broots. "Okay, ready?"

"Ready."

She bent to kiss Jarod's cheek. "I'll be right behind you guys."

Broots pushed the wheelchair out into the hallway. Parker hid her hands beneath the habit, feeling the reassuring weight of her gun. She hoped she wouldn't have to use it, her wish short-lived as she saw Lyle and three sweepers step off the elevator. She motioned for Broots to go the other way, glancing over her shoulder as she followed him.

"Hey!" Lyle called. "Stop them!"

"Run," she urged. A gunshot echoed from behind her. She looked back; was Lyle crazy? There were innocent people here. Then again, she thought grimly, that had never stopped him before.

Breathless, they reached the service elevator. Parker fired a shot of her own, hitting one of the sweepers in his leg. The elevator doors slid shut just as Lyle reached them. Parker smiled sweetly at her brother and waved.

When they reached the bottom, it took a moment for Parker to orient herself. She looked left and right then picked a direction. "This way."

Broots followed without question and Jarod was surprisingly quiet. She glanced down at him as they hurried towards the exit. He was far too pale for her liking.

There were shouts of, "Stop them!" and "Don't let them get away!" as they reached the car. Broots climbed into the front seat while Parker helped Jarod into the back. He was sweating now. Parker put a hand to his forehead, almost slipping off the seat as Sydney sped away.

"How is he?" Sydney asked.

"I'm not sure. Things didn't exactly go according to plan." She tugged the wimple off and threw it to the floor. "So much for the disguises. Lyle was expecting us."

"Did anyone get hurt?"

"Just a sweeper, as far as I know. Occupational hazard."

"What do we do now?" Broots asked.

"Change of plan. Pull over, Syd. I'll drive." Parker leaned forward to pull open the glove compartment. There was a cell phone and another gun inside. "Broots, call Debbie. Tell her to be ready."

*

Six long hours later, Parker pulled up outside the house in Cape Charles. Tommy had left it to her and she'd managed to keep its existence secret from the Centre. It was the perfect place for the fugitives to hide. On the beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the nearest neighbors were a mile away on each side. Parker had only been here once after Tommy's death, and she had found the solitude peaceful and healing.

She stopped the car and turned to her passengers. Sydney was asleep in the front seat, his head lolling against the window, his mouth slightly open. Parker smiled, filled with affection for her friend.

Broots was behind Sydney, Debbie asleep in his arms. She smiled at him in the rearview mirror and looked at Jarod. He was looking better than he had earlier. She unbuckled her seatbelt and stepped out of the car. Broots extricated himself from Debbie's embrace and climbed out as well.

Parker climbed the steps to the front door, her muscles cramping in protest. She unlocked the door and flicked on the light switch.

Nothing. The power was off.

She went around to the back, telling Broots to stay where he was. She located the mains and smiled. So far, so good. Returning to the front, she hoped she'd left some clothes here. Otherwise, all she had was the nun's habit she still wore.

She woke Sydney up then went around to Jarod's side. "Hey, Wonderboy. We're here."

He mumbled something unintelligible. She sighed and gently shook his shoulder. He opened his eyes and yawned. She helped him to his feet and they slowly made their way into the house, him leaning heavily on her. Somehow they managed to make it all the way to the master bedroom upstairs. Jarod collapsed on the bed, falling asleep almost instantly.

Parker found a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt in the closet. With a quick glance at Jarod, she stripped out of the habit and put the other clothes on. She combed her fingers through her hair and found a pair of sandals in the bathroom. Tucking her gun into the back of her waistband, she returned downstairs.

"There's an all-night market in town, if I remember correctly. Anyone up for a drive?"

"I'll go," Debbie said.

"I don't know. It's late." Broots looked at his watch, frowning.

"Aw, come on, Dad. It's not like I have to go to school tomorrow."

Parker met Sydney's eyes and chuckled. Debbie had clearly been spending far too much time with her.

"Let her come, Broots," she said. "You guys need your rest. There's another bedroom upstairs, one down the hall, and the couch folds out. Make yourselves at home."

Debbie smiled triumphantly.

"Deb, why don't you go see if Jarod needs anything. I'll meet you at the car." Debbie disappeared upstairs. "Syd, take a walk with me."

When they reached the car, Parker took the spare gun from the glove compartment and gave it to him. "No one knows about this place and I don't think we were followed. But just in case . . ."

She left the rest unsaid. Sydney nodded in understanding. "Why don't you go to the shop tomorrow morning?"

"It'll be empty now. I'd prefer to keep our presence secret for now."

"Jarod's asleep," Debbie said, coming to join them. "But Dad says he thinks Jarod would want PEZ."

Parker smiled. "That sounds right. See you later, Syd."

She held the door open for Debbie before going around to the driver's side. As they drove off, she saw Sydney silhouetted in the light from the open door, his hand raised in farewell.
Part 6 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never

Chapter 6

Melanie-Anne



Debbie and Parker had returned from their shopping expedition armed with enough food for the next few days. When they found that the men had gone to sleep, Parker instructed Debbie to leave everything except the milk and frozen food in the car. "They can unpack it tomorrow," she said.

Broots had taken the sleeper couch and Sydney was in the downstairs bedroom. Which left just one more bed.

"Where are you going to sleep?" Debbie asked.

"Don't worry about me." She found a shirt for Debbie to sleep in and wished her good night. Before going to her room, she checked that all the doors and windows were locked and bolted. Better paranoid than dead, she thought wryly.

Jarod was sprawled across the queen-size bed. Parker set her gun down on the bedside table and pulled the jeans off, glad that the sweatshirt came to her knees. Yawning, she crawled in next to Jarod and pulled the covers up over head.

*

Three days passed uneventfully. Broots was happy to be spending time with Debbie and Sydney was enjoying his chats with Jarod. Parker had driven up to Pocomoke City for more supplies: food, clothing and a laptop and modem. While there, she had used codes Jarod had given her to transfer money from the Centre's bank account into an offshore account of his. From there, the money had passed through a dozen more accounts.

Jarod was recovering nicely. When she'd woken up that first morning to find his arms wrapped around her, she'd quietly slipped out of the bed. Now she made sure to go to bed once he was asleep and to wake up before he did.

On the morning of the fourth day, Parker and Debbie were in the kitchen, attempting to make pancakes for breakfast. Since they were working without a recipe, it was more challenging than usual, but things were going well. Sydney and Broots were taking their daily walk on the beach and Jarod was still confined to the bed.

"Something smells good."

Parker looked up in surprise and dusted flour from the tip of her nose. She glared at the speaker. "You're not supposed to be up."

Jarod smiled, leaning against the doorframe. "The doctor said I'm fine."

"Which doctor?"

He pointed to himself and walked to the kitchen table, easing himself into a chair.

"You don't count," Parker said.

"Yeah, well. It was lonely upstairs. It's really rude to sneak out of bed before I wake up, you know. You could give a guy a complex."

Debbie giggled. Catching Parker's look of outrage, she busied herself with mixing batter, but couldn't quite smother the giggles.

"Hey, Parker, how about a cup of coffee?" he continued.

"If you're well enough to get out of bed, you're well enough to make it yourself."

"I'll make you coffee," Debbie said.

Parker looked at Debbie in disbelief. So much for sisterhood and solidarity.

"Thanks, Deb," Jarod said. "Hey, Parker. If you want me back in bed so much . . ." He trailed off and waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Parker leaned across the table, her voice low and husky. "You know, I think I do have a use for you . . ."

Jarod grinned.

". . . Knock yourself out." She slid Debbie's bowl of batter across the table, this time joining in the teenager's laughter.

*

After supper, Jarod joined Parker on the patio overlooking the beach. "Why are you avoiding me?" he asked.

"I'm not."

"Come on, Parker. You can hardly bear to be alone with me."

She leaned against the railing and looked out at the night sky. "We share a bed."

"Only because there's nowhere else for you to sleep."

She wished she wasn't so easy to see through. This conversation was inevitable, but she hadn't been looking forward to it. "What do you want me to say to you, Jarod?"

He inched closer to her. "At the hospital, it seemed like we had a chance at something. But since we got here, you've been distant. What's wrong?"

They were almost touching now. She stepped away. "Nothing."

"Don't lie to me."

She lit a cigarette, inhaling deeply. She'd come outside for privacy and hoped he'd get the message. She should have known better.

"When did you start smoking again?"

She exhaled and stared at the red glow. "After Carthis."

"Why?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. Why does anyone do anything?"

He took the cigarette from her and dropped it, snuffing it with his shoe. "What's wrong?"

"Just go away, Jarod."

"No." He was relentless.

She turned to him, angry now. Angry at herself, at him, at the Centre, at everything. "Do you really want to know what's wrong? You're selfish. You think the world revolves around you and your problems. 'I'm Jarod, I don't know who I am.' 'I can't find my family.' Well, guess what, other people have problems too. Other people want the same things you want."

"Like you?"

"No." She lit another cigarette. "My whole life has revolved around you. You were always more important to my father than me—I hated you for that. And I couldn't leave the Centre until I found you. And then you made me question everything I was. When I saw you in that hospital room I was so scared you were going to die and I didn't understand it."

"Parker—" He reached for her but she shrugged out of his grasp.

"I don't understand why I couldn't let them take you again. I don't understand why I can't have a relationship without comparing the guy to you. I don't understand how I could give up everything to get you away from the Centre, how I could make Sydney and Broots give up everything too. And I don't understand why I'm so mad at you. I mean, I should be happy. But I'm not."

"Do you still hate me?" he asked quietly.

"No. I don't know."

"And everything you said at the hospital?"

She shrugged helplessly. "I don't know. I thought you were going to die."

"But now you've had time to think about it?"

She nodded.

"And you've decided you didn't mean it?"

She was silent.

"I see." Jarod turned to go back inside.

She dropped the cigarette and grabbed his arm. "No, you don't. Because I don't either. Dammit, you are the most infuriating man I have ever met." She kissed him, before she had time to think about what she was doing.

Jarod pulled away and leaned on the railing as he caught his breath. "Parker—"

She sat on one of the chairs, feeling horribly close to tears. Can't I just do things normally? She thought.

"If you give me a couple of days, I can probably get hold of my father. Then you can go back to Blue Cove—"

"Go back?" She laughed. "Jarod, if I go back, they will kill me. I passed the point of no return long ago."

"How long ago?"

She shook her head. She should have bought alcohol when she went shopping. She could have done with a good drink right about now.

Jarod sighed. "Well, good night, Parker. It's been enlightening."

*

Sydney found the pretender in the kitchen, slumped over the kitchen table. "Coffee?"

Jarod shook his head. "Thanks, but no."

"Care to talk about it?"

"It's Parker."

"Ah." Sydney had thought as much. He sat opposite Jarod and folded his hands on the tabletop.

"I don't understand her, Syd. Before we got here, she was . . . I thought we really had a chance, you know. But now, she's . . . she's different. It's like all the things she said at the hospital meant nothing to her."

Sydney remembered Parker's frantic phone call, telling him where Jarod was. He remembered walking into the hospital room to find Parker lying almost on top of Jarod. "No, she meant what she said."

"Then why is she acting like this?"

Sydney smiled. "If there's one thing I've learned, it's that women will always be a mystery to men. Think about it for a while. Nothing has come easy to Parker. And every time something good happens to her, it usually fails to last. Now that she's given up one of the constants in her life, why should her other constant remain?"

Jarod scratched his head, looking slightly less depressed. "I think I get what you're saying."

"Have you told her you love her?"

"Yeah, at the hospital. She couldn't say it back." His expression turned sulky, like a little boy.

"Well, think about the people who have said it to her before. Her mother and Tommy are dead. She never knew how Mr. Parker meant it." He laid his hand on top of Jarod's. "Parker has as many scars as you do, just different kinds."

"She said as much."

"I don't think it would hurt to tell her how you feel about her as often as you can. She's bound to believe you one of these days."

Jarod slowly broke into a smile. "Thanks, Syd. Good night."

"Do you need help getting upstairs?"

"Nah, I'll be okay."

Sydney smiled and went to look for Parker. She was where Jarod had left her, twirling an unlit cigarette through her fingers. He sat next to her and waited.

"I don't know what I was thinking," she said without looking at him. "I always mess things up."

"Oh, I don't know. I'm not sure I'd blame you for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Well, not all of them anyway."

She smiled. "Thanks."

"Why don't you get some sleep? Things are usually clearer in the morning."

"He'll still be awake."

"I know."

She looked at Sydney for a long moment then slowly got to her feet. When she was at the door, he turned to her.

"Oh, Parker. I'll take care of breakfast tomorrow morning."
Part 7 by Melanie Anne
Better Late Than Never
Chapter 7
Melanie-Anne



Parker stood in front of the bathroom mirror, dragging a brush through her hair. Finally, knowing she couldn't procrastinate any longer, she set the brush down and stepped into the bedroom. Jarod was on his side, facing away from her. She approached the bed slowly and turned on the bedside lamp before crawling under the covers. Jarod gave no sign of acknowledgement. Holding her breath, she inched closer to him and gently touched his arm.

He rolled over to look at her. She smiled shyly and closed the gap between them. He was warm against her and she closed her eyes, sighing in content. She decided that words just got in the way between them.

"Parker?"

"Mmm?"

"Thank you."

She pulled back a little. "For?"

"For everything. Looking for me. Rescuing me."

"You would have done the same for me."

He nodded. "Yeah . . . but let me thank you, okay?" He bent his head to kiss her, the path his hands traveled leaving her with no doubt as to how he intended showing his gratitude.

"Umm . . . you're injured." Her protest was half-hearted. Yes, she decided, words were definitely a problem.

"So be gentle."

She smiled. "I didn't answer your question earlier."

"Which one?"

"You asked when I'd crossed the point of no return . . . I guess I'd have to say it was in front of Ocee's fireplace. If she hadn't come in when she did . . ."

"Parker?"

"Mmm?"

"I love you."

She held him close and let herself believe him.

*

When she woke up in his arms again, she didn't slip out of the bed. She stayed right where she was, content to feel his breath at the nape of her neck, his heartbeat against her naked back. She heard laughter drift up from the beach. Smiling, she kissed Jarod and padded over to the window to see what was going on. She picked up a shirt and pulled it over her head, tugging it down to cover her thighs.

Broots and Sydney were walking along the beach, deep in conversation. Debbie was skipping in front of them, acting like a little girl again as she hopped over the incoming waves.

Jarod's arms encircled her from behind and he dropped a kiss on her shoulder blade.

"When you first left," she said, "I was so mad at you. I couldn't believe you'd left me behind. But I guess I wasn't a great friend to you back then, so I don't know what I was expecting."

"Are you still mad at me?" he asked, his voice still thick with sleep.

"No."

"Then let's not talk about the Centre, 'kay?"

She looked back to the figures on the beach. "They're going to catch up to us eventually."

"Let's take it one day at a time. Starting with today."

She smiled. "I think I can handle that."

"Good. So what's for breakfast?"

"Sydney said he'd take care of it."

Jarod looked at where Sydney was and grinned. "Looks like he'll be a while."

She laughed and let him lead her back to the bed. Maybe it was time she started living life one day at a time. Now that she wasn't alone anymore, she thought she might just enjoy it.

~the end~
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1226