Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Okay, first the disclaimer. Oh Boy! The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

The second part of this party is for those of you who like having a line of logic to begin with. This story is set approx. seven years after the series started. I'm only approaching the end of season two on my telly but that hasn't stopped me. Thanks to Tuna or Duncan or whatever he is these days and Yip for helping me when the going got tuff and all my beta readers.

Yes, you may distribute it, just tell me where it's going first and keep my name and e-mail addy on it

Flames and comments welcome

Zanna

zannamjs@yahoo.com



Conspiracy
part 1
by Zanna







***

The Centre

Blue Cove, Delaware

***

"What ?"

Miss Parker stood up. Shock was displayed over her face.

"I said that the Triumvirate requested a meeting with you. Apparently Jarod is with them."

Sydney calmly relayed the news and placed a mental bet over whether or not she would explode.

Miss Parker opened her mouth but no sound came out. She opened and closed her mouth several times but shock kept her from saying anything. Sydney lost the bet. When she finally regained her composure she calmly walked out of the office. Sydney could have sworn he heard her say something.

What the hell is Jarod doing with the Triumvirate? Why wasn't he locked up? More importantly, why isn't bound and gagged and rotting in his cell? So deep was she in thought that she never noticed the strange looks that the rest of the Centre staff gave her, nor did she notice Brigitte's self-satisfied smirk. When she approached the Tower elevator she noticed the sweeper that waited for her in the elevator. Standard Tower policy, to ensure that a lunatic didn't accidentally access the Tower. As she stepped into the elevator she couldn't help but notice the bullet hole that still adorned the wall. A painful reminder to everyone here to never ever cross the Triumvirate. She gulped and prayed ( well, as near as Miss Parker could come to praying) that she would never meet her end that way. The walls of the elevator was void of any buttons and marks (with the exception of the bullet hole) it was all preprogrammed just in case you had the sudden urge to go to any other place than the Tower.

The elevator was as slow as always and on the way up she mentally counted the times that she had encountered the Triumvirate. The first timewas for her interview when she decided to officially join the Centre. The second was when Jarod escaped and she was ordered to capture him -preferably alive. And the third was when she was summoned before the T-board. She still shuddered about that episode. So why did they want to see her? With Jarod of all people? These thoughts kept company during the entire way up. At last the elevator opened and the doors slowly slid on their well greased tracks.

The room she stepped into was dark and gloomy, the only light came from slits in the walls to let sun in only at certain strategic points. There was also a couple of lights but the impending sense of doom would remain in the room even if they painted it pink and named it the newmaternity ward. It was actually a large hall with doors leading to adjoining rooms that housed who knew how may horrors. In front of the wall that faced the elevator stood three chairs, slightly raised above the floor, all presently occupied. They were lighted from the back so that all yousaw of the chair and its occupant was their silhouette. The room was filled with different layers but they were all like in the shadows. This room was identical to the one they used with T-board sessions with the exception that this room wasn't bugged. What ever happened here would be denied and the accuser would find no damning evidence of any kind, sometimes even the existence of the room was denied.

The ever present midget was there, taking notes that would be dissected by the Triumvirate for later reference. Psych teams would pore over it for weeks, studying all her responses so that they could gain some insight into her psyche, and more importantly, to reveal her weaknesses.

As she walked closer to Triumvirate, she noticed a table had been placed in front of their chairs. Two chairs waited or her, but the one on her left was already filled with the form of Jarod. God, it had been a long time since she last saw him. His very essence still had the ability to raise her pulse, but unlike her younger self, she had no need to take it further that that. He was almost a poster boy, an ad for a freedom that could have been hers so long ago. But deals with the devil not concerned it was kind of fun to chase him. Hell, she got to see America the fun way, chasing a gorgeous man.

The sweeper that came with her on the elevator joined his buddies at another wall. They were all visibly armed and they were definitely hired for their muscle, not brains. She ignored them, and instead focused on the people in front of her. The female member sat in her rocking chair, slowly moving back and forth. The other two male members sat silently in their respected places. The nearer Miss Parker came to them, the tenser she got. Clearly she had interrupted an argument of some sorts.

When she made her final approach to the table, she could fell all three members' eyes on her. Accusing her, ridiculing her because they had been humiliated to bargain with one of their own creations. Miss Parker looked at Jarod. His face was locked in quiet determination laced with a slight tinge of exasperation

In front of him lay a couple of documents with four signatures. Something was very wrong here. The Triumvirate never signed anything. Jarod must have really twisted their arms. Before anyone could say anything Jarod leaned in and whispered conspiratorially: "At least some things haven't changed in Mr. Lyle's purges.

She resisted the temptation to ask him exactly what he meant by that when one of the members of the Triumvirate cleared his throat. It was only then that Miss Parker noticed the middleman between them and the Triumvirate. He wore an unnoticeable suit and had a bland enough face with no recognizable features. His voice was equally bland and was a fight to not fall asleep immediately.

"Nice of you to join us Miss Parker. The reason we asked you here is that Jarod has made some rather interesting comments that we would like to run by you. You will listen with your complete attention and only comment when we ask you to."

Yeah right I'm gonna be allowed to comment

"Jarod has made an agreement with us that we think will be mutually beneficial. He will come back to the Centre, but only on a part time basis. He will continue on the pretender project and help to teach some of the pretenders here. However, no projects that involve the harming nor taking of children will be assigned to him. This may mean that he will sometimes be working on hostage negotiations but those are pretty rare at Centre. He has also shown us some rather large flaws in the pretender project as well as how to remedy them. In exchange for these duties he will live outside Centre jurisdiction and we have no say in the rest of his life. We have agreed on a monthly salary and his proposed project. This project is a response team that will handle all Centre emergencies or any other project we deem fit. He will become part of your team, Miss Parker as well as Angelo."

"Cousin It ?" Miss Parker's face showed her revulsion. She reached for her cigarette case.

"No smoking" The man grinned and a smile formed, showing his nicotine stained teeth.

"Well obviously all the decisions has already been made. So why am I here ?" She asked while putting her cigarette case away.

The man answered again with an almost amused grin that spoke volumes despite its size.

"One of Jarod's many demands was that we inform you ourselves. Apparently he thought that you wouldn't believe him if he told you. We also don't want your father involved in any of this. When you step out of that door everything about this project is classified and only the members of your team and ourselves will be able to access your files."

"Why leave my father out of this? I thought he was head of operations in the Centre?"

" Your father is getting old, Miss Parker. Besides, this is above his clearance. Jarod, all the other aspects of your demands have been agreed to and the information will be available to you shortly.

Jarod stood up and reached for the papers. The man made a move to stop him but female member of the Triumvirate just shook her head. The meaning was clear. Let him take the papers. Jarod held out his hand and said:

"Thank you. Miss Parker, after you?"

Miss Parker stood up with out a sound but her eyes showed the fury that boiled there. As they walked out of the room she could feel the eyes of the Triumvirate behind her and she heard one of the members whispering to her:

"Play nice."

A sweeper followed them to elevator and clearly made his point that he was going to join them for the road down when the man spoke called him over. That in itself was unusual. Letting them ride down without an escort was almost unheard of. Silently they stood as they waited for the elevator, neither saying a word. When the doors finally opened up and they stepped inside Miss Parker waited five seconds until she opened her mouth to demand what was going on but Jarod grabbed her arm and held his finger to his lips and pointed to the walls and the pulled on his ears. She nodded to show she understood and together they rode down in silence.

Miss Parker was so lost in thought that when the elevator finally came a jarring halt she jumped. Jarod quickly stifled a grin. The door slid open. When they stepped out of the elevator everyone tried to look as they weren't looking. Nobody did a good job. The hunter and the hunted. But the question was, which was which?

They stepped into her office.

"Would you mind telling me what's going on?" Miss Parker asked while lighting a cigarette. "Don't worry -it's secure. Broots sweeps it twice a day."

"I wouldn't bet on it. This is the Centre you know."

" Oh ha ha. So what's this all about. I thought I would have to drag you back here and yet you came voluntarily. "

"Let's just say you are right about my ulterior motives. But let's not go into that, shall we? How about we get the rest of our merry band together and start working on a gameplan and then I'll take you to my place for dinner where I will explain everything."

"Do you really think I am going to go to your place and eat your food and act as if we are best friends?"

"We were once."

"That was a long time ago. Fine, I'll get Doctor Freud and Geekboy while you go get cousin It."

"Cousin It?"

"Angelo. While you're at it, why don't you go and explain to that walking corpse Mr. Raines that why his prize student won't be joining him in the interrogation chamber tonight."

"So that you can have the satisfaction of what?"

"The satisfaction of having to watch his face as you tell him the good news."

"If you don't mind, I'd like to come along when you talk to Sydney. Speaking of Raines I see him right now, so why don't we get this over with?"

"After you JungleBoy."

His wheels squeaking as usual Mr. Raines moved among the people hurrying about the hallway, trying to look busy and hoping that he didn't want to talk to them. He was surprisingly enough in a good mood, thinking of a new way to work with Angelo and thinking of the pleasure he'd get when Angelo would fail. He grinned. His path was suddenly blocked by someone tall wearing a black leather jacket. How dare that person block his path? He looked up to yell at that person when he suddenly turned ash white.

"Good morning, Mr. Raines." It was Jarod, wearing a smile as big as the Miami coastline and Miss Parker standing next to him carrying a big smirk.

"Bragging Miss Parker?"

"Actually I came here of my own free will." Jarod said.

"Got tired of the good old life outside? Or did you miss your girl?" He glared at Miss Parker.

"Watch it Raines." Miss Parker glared back.

"Well, the real reason for this pleasant meeting is to inform you that Angelo is no longer under your jurisdiction."

"What?" Jarod continued as if Raines never interrupted him.

"All files on him will be transferred to my office and you will sever all contact with him. If you have a problem with that, take it to the
Triumvirate."

The more Jarod said, the more Raines' face fell, the bigger Miss Parker's smile got. Brigitte's eavesdropping was by now so obvious that Jarod spoke the last part directly to her.

"Oh and I wouldn't complain to hard, you never know on whose toes you might step, luv."

Sydney was staring hard at the chessboard. He finally figured out how to counter the move. Before Jarod left they had been busy with a chess game. He had left with a move that was almost impossible to counter without putting yourself into checkmate. Sydney picked up the piece and slowly deposited it onto the board. As fast as a snake a hand appeared and just as quickly deposited another a piece that effectively put Sydney into checkmate. Sydney said nothing instead stared at the hand. The hand bore some scars and that showed it knew the meaning of honest labour. Sydney slowly looked up with shocked displayed o his face. He would recognize that hand anywhere, he had even anticipated that he would have to identify its owner in a morgue. Jarod picked up another piece and said:

"Checkmate."

Sydney gaped at Jarod.

"What, don't you have anything to say the prodigal son?"

Sydney jumped up and grasped Jarod into a fatherly bearhug.

"Where on earth have you been? Who brought you in?"

"Don't worry Sydney, Miss Parker will explain everything. In the meantime I've got to go visit an old friend. "

"But these last five years, what have you been doing all this time? I had thought you were dead."

"Not yet, Sydney although there are a couple of people who wouldn't mind that at all." he turned to Miss Parker.

"Where will we meet?"

"We can meet at your old simlab. As far as I know it hasn't been used by anyone except by us and it is supposed to be secure"

"It isn't like the Centre to waste space like that. "

"Well, I suppose someone had a hand in that." Miss Parker looked at Sydney.

Five minutes later they were all assembled. Jarod looked around. The simlab was almost spooky without the comforting presence of the furniture except a bare table and a couple of chairs, abandoned during the years. Angelo nervously looked around, expecting the trap to close at any minute. Broots kept on scanning the doors, a habit he had picked from the Centre. Miss Parker was smoking another cigarette and Sydney was busy dusting of the old table.

"Can I have your attention please?"

Everyone focused their attention to Jarod except Broots who kept on scanning the doorways.

"You too Broots. No one will be disturbing us." Jarod quickly stepped into his command persona that he had perfected this last of couple of years. He had found out during his time away exactly how to handle a crowd and more importantly to give orders that didn't reveal anything about the master plan.

"Now, you are all here because of a proposal I had put through to the Triumvirate which they accepted. They are the only people with exception of ourselves who have the clearance to know about us and to access our files. As of tomorrow, Angelo will have been transferred to this team and will no longer be under Mr. Raines. We will take orders only from the Triumvirate. I'll be your middleman between us and them. Also I am back at the Centre however I will be completely isolated and I will only part time. The rest of our duties will be laid out to you as the team progresses. Any questions?"

"Yeah, will these duties be any different from that which we did before?" Broots nervously asked.

"Apart from the fact that you won't be chasing me? Not very. You'll get your new assignments tomorrow. Anything else?"

No response. Miss Parker took a long drag from her cigarette.

"Good, we'll reconvene again here tomorrow at 08:30. Go home, get some rest. Tomorrow we train."

"Well, that was a very revealing briefing." Miss Parker said as everyone filed out.

"Yeah, I know. So I'll pick you up at eight?"

"Just give me the address Jarod. I can drive you know."

"I know you can. However you might get . . . lost."

"Lost? A woman's direction sense is much better than a man's Jarod. Besides, I never get lost."

"Whatever you say Miss Parker. Here's the address. If you get lost - don't hesitate to call. Oh and be there by eight otherwise I'm going to report you as lost."

"Fine." Miss Parker began to walk out of the room.

"And dress casual! No jeans, no entry. And no heels!" he called after her but she just waved her hand.



***

Jarod's House

20 miles north from the Centre

***

After searching for his house for nearly an hour Miss Parker pulled up into Jarod's driveway. She was glad that she had decided to come early, but she always left a margin for error. She had to admit the place was beautiful. The house was next to the beach and she could hear the waves crashing against the rocks. At precisely eight oh one she rang the doorbell and waited all of two seconds until he opened the door.

"I said casual Miss Parker." He shook his head ruefully

"What's wrong with this?" She pointed to her outfit. As Jarod had asked she did wear jeans but that is where the casual bit ended. She wore a see-through black top who's sleeves flared and wore her trademark stilettos

"It's all right for when you're meeting with clients but for a stroll on the beach?"

"Aren't you going to let me in?"

"Oh sorry. Make yourself at home. I just have to finish the pasta and then I'll get you something to drink."

He stepped out of the way to let her in and she gasped with surprise. It was a spacious place, decorated in a very basic style - all whites and creams - to make the place look bigger. On one wall was a giant painting of a nature scene, a panther stalking another. The painting was beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Miss Parker had a hard time pulling her eyes away from the painting. In front of it was a black leather couch with a couple of pillows thrown on for comfort. In the corner stood the TV coupled up to a very impressive sound centre. On the desk at the other wall stood the DSA reader. But it was the wall that desk faced that surprised her.

It was covered with pencil sketches - all of them framed and with Jarod's name in the bottom right corner. The first one that caught her eye was of Sydney laughing. He looked completely relaxed and his expression was unguarded. Another one was of Broots and Debbie in a park. They were completely oblivious to the rest of the world and the look of sheer happiness on Debbie's face made Miss Parker's heart ache with happiness. There was also a picture of Jarod's mother, beautifully done and another of Jarod and Kyle, both grown up.

But it was the picture on eye level with the desk that made her gasp. It was a picture of her, or rather several pictures of her. It was a huge sheet of paper filled with images of her in different poses showing a different emotion each time. One of the poses was her standing with her hands on her hips, a cigarette dangling from her lips. Another was of her hugging Debbie, but you only saw Miss Parker's face. There were two different sketches of when she was younger and another one when she was in high school. She had to admit, if only to herself, that it was beautifully done.

She turned around to find her way towards the kitchen but in the hall she found another sketch. This one had obviously taken a lot of time. It was huge and every minute detail was drawn in. It was one of her and Jarod when they were kids, probably just after her mother's death. They were having a heated discussion. Her hands were in the air, demonstrating her point to Jarod who was wearing that grin that said he knew he was right no matter how much evidence you brought him.

"Remember that argument?" Miss Parker jumped and tried to get al least some resemblance of control before turning to face Jarod. She gratefully accepted the drink he offered her.

"Something about emotions I think"

" W were arguing if a person could put aside his personal feelings to accomplish a goal. You took the side of not being able to."

"I did huh? Did you freeze a frame of a DSA for the picture?"

"How'd you guess? I don't know, it just seemed like a character sketch of who we were and what we had become."

They stood in silence for a while each lost in their own thoughts. A loud *ding* from the kitchen broke their reverie

"Dinner's ready"

Dinner was exquisite but it was after Jarod showed her the rest of the house that she dropped the bomb.

"Jarod, I can't do this. I can't go from being your sworn enemy to being your best friend just like that. There's just too much between us."

Jarod said nothing for a long time and the suddenly broke into a smile.

"Then let's start over. Hi, my name is Jarod Blank. My surname is Blank 'cause it might change from time to time." He held out his hand

"Andrea Parker. How do you do Jarod?" She shook his hand with a look of complete surprise.

"Well, I just had dinner with a gorgeous lady and we had a pretty good time so I'd say life is good."

"I'm glad to hear that Jarod. So tell me about yourself."

"Let's see, I got stalked by this incredibly hot chick for about five years, then I worked as a consultant for VICAP at the FBI and then I came to work for this secret agency that I'm not allowed to talk about. How about you?"

"Um, I followed a dangerous criminal for about five years, threw myself into business politics with the Yakuza and various other companies all while working for a secret agency which I'm also not allowed to talk about."

"Well, maybe we both joined the same agency. That would great huh?"

" I can tell you one thing about my life, it sure isn't boring."

Jarod sobered up after that sentence.

"And isn't about to. During my stint at the FBI, I did some private searches on my parents as well as yours. Do you know you have a FBI file? Anyway, what I found is quite surprising. Neither your parents nor my parents exist according to their files. Nobody of the old regime in the Centre does. Not even our dear friend Mr. Raines.

"Huh, what a surprise. But why stop at the old regime? Why not include us?"

"This is where our lives are going to get interesting. Someone in the Centre moonlighted as ad double agent. My guess is that that person is either dead or . . ."

"... someone is setting us up." Miss Parker finished the sentence for him