A Pretender Story by Evanescent
Summary: Ms. Parker got shot.....What will Jarod do to save her?


Categories: Season 4 Characters: None
Genres: Angst, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 32908 Read: 165158 Published: 15/09/06 Updated: 15/09/06

1. Chapter 1 by Evanescent

2. Chapter 2 by Evanescent

3. Chapter 3 by Evanescent

4. Chapter 4 by Evanescent

5. Chapter 5 by Evanescent

6. Chapter 6 by Evanescent

7. Chapter 7 by Evanescent

8. Chapter 8 by Evanescent

9. Chapter 9 by Evanescent

10. Chapter 10 by Evanescent

11. Chapter 11 by Evanescent

12. Chapter 12 by Evanescent

13. Chapter 13 by Evanescent

14. Chapter 14 by Evanescent

15. Chapter 15 by Evanescent

16. Chapter 16 by Evanescent

17. Chapter 17 by Evanescent

18. Chapter 18 by Evanescent

19. Chapter 19 by Evanescent

20. Chapter 20 by Evanescent

21. Chapter 21 by Evanescent

22. Chapter 22 by Evanescent

23. Chapter 23 by Evanescent

24. Chapter 24 by Evanescent

25. Chapter 25 by Evanescent

26. Chapter 26 by Evanescent

27. Chapter 27 by Evanescent

28. Chapter 28 by Evanescent

29. Chapter 29 by Evanescent

Chapter 1 by Evanescent
Author's Notes:
Note: "What if?" on 1st Episode of 4th season
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part I
by Evanescent




"Welcome back to the Center Jarod," Mr. Raines said as he pointed his gun at Jarod. As Jarod slowly got to his feet, Raines turned to Willie. "Cuff him."

Jarod backed up as Wily closed in on him with a triumphant gleam in his eyes. He was about to cuff Jarod when they heard Broots yell, "Miss Parker. No!"

When everyone turned to look at Broots, Jarod shoved Willie as hard as he could and started a dead run towards the seemingly lifeless form.

Willie raised his gun and was about to shoot when Mr. Raines stopped him.

"No! I need him alive."

"What if he tries to escape?" Willie asked.

"He won't go far," Mr. Raines answer smugly, "he has someone to save."

"Miss Parker, Miss Parker can you hear me?" Jarod asked as he frantically searched for her vital signs and breathing. Finding none, he yelled to Sydney, "Begin CPR." Sydney nodded as Jarod quickly took off his jacket.

"I've got a pulse," Sydney said to Jarod after he checked her vital signs after a few minutes.

"All right, let's turn her over," Jarod said as he, Sydney, and Broots gently rolled her over onto her stomach.

Broots asked, "What are you doing?"

"Trying to stop the bleeding," Jarod replied as he tightly pressed his jacked against the wound. He looked up into Mr. Parker's worried expression; "We'll save her." Mr. Parker looked at him for a moment before looking away.

"We need to get her to a hospital now," Jarod ordered. "Sydney, Broots, gently lift Miss Parker and take her to the car."

Jarod was about to follow Sydney when he suddenly felt a gun pressed against his back, "I don't think so love," Brigitte said. "If I let you go now, who knows when we'll be able to meet like this again."

"My daughter is going to the hospital and Jarod is going with her do you hear me?" Mr. Parker roared.

Willie pointed his gun at him.

"I don't think you are in any position at making any demands Mr. Parker," Raines said. "It's your daughter's fault that Jarod was able to escape for so long, now that she's gone she won't be able to cause anymore trouble like her mother." Mr. Parker angrily glared at Raines but back off.

"No! Please," Jarod begged, start to grow desperate.

He looked at Miss Parker's pale face he knew the decision he had to make to save her life. "I'll make a deal with you Raines. If you let me take her to the hospital and save her, I'll to go back to The Centre with you."

"And what makes you think you are in any position to make a deal with me right now Jarod?" Raines demanded.

"You know Miss Parker had caught me numerous times, but the problem is I got away every time right? You can't shoot me because that will be against all the rules of The Centre so I'm making a deal with you, my life for Miss Parker's," Jarod explained.

Sydney looked at Jarod with a stunned expression. ‘No, Jarod,’ he thought.

Mr. Parker said nothing but continued to star at him.

"And if I say no?" Raines asked

"If you say no you won't be able to keep me in the Centre because you know I'll escape. So what will it be, Mr. Raines, my life for hers? The clock is ticking and I may change my mind at any moment so you’d better make up your mind."

"All right," Raines agreed.

Mr. Lyle whispered, "Can we actually trust him?"

"Jarod knows that if he were to escape we can always come back and kill Miss Parker, he is also a man of his word so he won't escape."

"I would need to borrow your helicopter then," Jarod said.

"Fine, but Willie is going with you," Raines replied and turned to his cleaner, "Willie, follow him and if Jarod tries to escape, shoot Miss Parker. I'll have a sweeper team follow you there."

"We will follow you in the car Jarod," Sydney assured him. "Broots, help me lift Miss Parker into the helicopter."

When Miss Parker was settled in, Willie, Jarod, and Mr. Parker followed behind her and as the helicopter took off Mr. Parker turn to Jarod and asked, "Why are you doing this Jarod? You know as well as I do what Raines will do to you when you go back to the Centre."

"I know what it's like to lose a love one Mr. Parker and I don't want to see you lose your daughter."

Mr. Parker was still confused, "But my daughter tries to catch you everyday, why would you still want to help her?"

Jarod replied, "Even though she ruins my life I know that she has a kind heart, she just keeps it hidden behind the walls she created for herself." He checked her wound and the bleeding had almost stopped.

He glanced up and look at her face. Even with her pale skin, she still looked breathtakingly beautiful. What am I doing he thought and quickly look away. Mr. Parker quickly caught a look of tenderness on Jarod's face when he turned away from Miss Parker and asked, "You seem to know my daughter extremely well Jarod, is it possible that you love her?"

Jarod quickly look away and while Mr. Parker wasn't listening, he whispered, "That I don't even know yet."

****

St. Marie Hospital
1600 Hours

"Quickly! Get her into the ER now!" Jarod yelled, holding Miss Parker in his arms. He spotted a nurse. "My name is Jarod, Jarod Wright, I’m a doctor here in this hospital and I have a patient that has a gunshot wound in the back. I manage to stop the bleeding but I wasn't able to get the bullet out, we need to get her under to work on her now." The nurse nodded and rushed off to get help.

Jarod checked her pulse, when he looked up to Mr. Parker's anxious expression he said, "She's still alive but time is running out." The nurse returned with several other nurses and a wheelchair. "Get her prepared for surgery," Jarod said, he gently set Miss Parker down on the wheelchair. Mr. Parker caught his arm and looked into his eyes.

"Save her," he said.

"I will." As Jarod disappeared behind Miss Parker, Sydney, Broots and the others arrived.

"Where is Jarod going?" Raines asked.

"He's going to help with the surgery," Mr. Parker answered.

"What a shame, I was hoping it was already too late," Brigitte said, licking her lollipop.

Mr. Parker whirled around to face her, anger blinding his eyes and not caring about his life or the life of his unborn child, he wrapped his fingers around her neck and squeezed. Brigitte tried to scream but no sound came out, as she tried frantically to breathe she heard Mr. Parker say in a dangerously low voice, "If my daughter dies, you will share the same fate as my first wife so you better be wishing she comes out of this alive or else." He squeezed harder, as Sydney and Broots watched wide-eyed. "You'll be wishing you are dead once I am through with you do I make myself clear?" Brigitte feebly nodded and Mr. Parker let go of his grip, she fell down coughing and gasping for air.

Mr. Raines was about to say something but Lye whispered in his ear, "I don't think that is a good idea, right now my father has nothing to lose so if we kill him now, the truth is bound to come out and then we'll all be in trouble." Raines took a step back and said nothing.

Broots asked, "How long is the surgery going to take?" Everyone ignored him.

Sydney walked to where Mr. Parker was sitting and gently put his hand on his shoulder and said, "Don't worry, Jarod will save her." Mr. Parker looked back at him and gave him a sad smile.

****

The Centre
1700 hours

Angelo was frantically typing on a keyboard. [We see the computer screen as he moved the cursor to the "Send" button and clicked on it.] "Must save Jarod," he said.

****

St. Marie Hospital
2100 hours

An exhausted Jarod stepped out of the ER, tired but okay. He pulled his surgical mask and glasses from his face and walked to the figure sitting down on a chair. "Mr. Parker," he said quietly, Mr. Parker looked up, his eyes glazed, his expression sad.

"Your daughter is going to be okay. She lost a lot of blood so she's going to be weak for a little while but otherwise she'll be okay."

Mr. Parker took a deep breath and let it out, "Thank you Jarod," he said, "can I see her right now?"

Jarod smiled and said, "She's in the recovery room now but she'll be finished soon. Wait for her in room 301, it's just down the hall."

As he watched Mr. Parker rush down the hall to his daughter's room, Raines came up behind him. "Time to go now Jarod," he said.

Jarod turn to look at him, "I'm going to check up on her one last time." Before Raines could stop him, Jarod was already walking down the hall to the recovery room.

"I thought I wanted to bring Jarod back, but not like this." Sydney said sadly.

"I agree with you," Broots replied. "Jarod has helped me a lot during these past couple of years, I would hate to see him turn into one of Mr. Raines pet projects."

"Broots, we have got to do something to help Jarod," Sydney whispered urgently.
Broots answered, "Syd, if Jarod returns to The Centre, who knows what Raines is going to do to him. He may end up--"

"Like Kyle." Sydney finished for him.

****

Jarod quietly entered the recovery room, a nurse smiled at him as she recorded Miss Parker's vital signs and walked out the door. Alone with her, he raised his hand and stroke her face. She looked so beautiful he thought as he felt the softness of her skin beneath the palm of his hand. He bent down and touched his lips to her cheek and whispered, '"Don't forget me, Miss Parker," and walked out the door.

Mr. Parker was watching them through a window and stared after Jarod as the door of the recovery room slowly closed behind him.

****

"Before I go with you Raines, I want all of you to not tell Miss Parker that I had any part in saving her, all right?" Jarod requested.

"And why should we listen to you Jarod?" Lyle asked.

"Because Lyle, you forget that if Miss Parker is told what happened she will try and save me and with Matombo there that may cause a disturbance if I were to escape again." Jarod replied. "So will you all not mention a word of this to Miss Parker?"

"Fine," Raines said.

Sydney opened his mouth to speak but Raines glared him down. Sydney slowly closed his mouth and looked at Jarod silently.

"Lyle, Brigitte?" Jarod asked.

"If it's fine with Raines it's fine with me," Lyle answered.

"Anything for you love," Brigitte smirked.

"Willie, cuff him." Raines ordered.

Willie came up behind him, cuffed Jarod's wrists, and dragged him away.

Jarod looked back at Sydney and said, "Take care of her Syd, don't let anything happen to her." Sydney nodded and watched helplessly as Jarod disappeared through the door with Lyle, Raines, Brigitte, and sweeper team trailing behind.

Sydney turned to Broots and said, "We have work to do." Broots look back at him, not sure if he really wanted to get into this as they started walking down the hall to room 301.

In the shadows, Mr. Parker stood quietly behind a door.

He opened the door and stepped out into the hallway.

A doctor came rushing out from the other room holding a tape recorder, "It's all done Mr. Parker, I had the whole conversation between Jarod and the others recorded on tape."

"Well done Dr. Anderson, I'll see that you'll get a promotion for this," Mr. Parker promised. Dr. Anderson handed him the recorder and he pushed rewind and then play. On the tape Jarod said "Before I go with you Raines, I want all of you to not tell Miss Parker that I had any part in saving her, all right?" Mr. Parker's gaze remained unmoving and he walked on.

Dr. Anderson asked, "What are you going to do now?"

"I don't know, but I'll figure it out," Mr. Parker said as he walked out the door.

****

The Centre
2200 hours

Angelo was crouching down hugging his knees, huddling in a tunnel, shivering, muttering, "Jarod...caught...great danger down...," He look down, trying to concentrate, "Miss Parker...hurt bad...Jarod save...won't escape...why?" He slowly pieced the thoughts in his mind together, whispering, "Miss Parker...hurt bad...Jarod...know...he...in great danger...won't run...give up freedom...won't escape...helps her..." his eyes grew wide in surprise. "Jarod loves Miss Parker."
 
 

************
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 


 

 

Chapter 2 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part II
by Evanescent





"Once again Jarod, where have you hide the DSAs?" Willy growled, jerking Jarod’s head back on the chair, "Answer me!"

Jarod, who’s handcuffed to a chair glared angrily at him but remained silent.

"Willy, let me handle this," Mr. Raines, "Jarod…Ms. Parker will die if you don’t give us the right answers this time."

Every muscle in Jarod’s body tightened with anger, his jaws clenched, he formed balls with his fists, tightening them so much they turned white.  He briefly closed his eyes, then opened them, and said, "Like I said before, it’s gone."

Mr. Parker suddenly walked in, he glanced at Jarod and then turned to Raines, "He’s right Raines, the DSAs was on the airplane, I saw it myself.  Leave him alone."

"And why should I take orders from you?" Mr. Raines said sarcastically.

"Because Raines, I own this place, unfortunately for you I am still very much live."  Walking toward Raines until he was just inches from his nose, he said in a dangerously low voice, "You pull a stunt like that on me again, you will live to regret that ever heard of the Centre in the first place & with Matombo here you better be praying that I didn’t mention this little "accident" to him."

Raines glared at Mr. Parker for a few moments but then lower his eyes.  "Fine.  This will not happen again but I want Jarod in my care for a few days."

Jarod, who was sitting quietly in his chair for a while, quickly looked up and locked eyes with Mr. Parker.  Mr. Parker opened his mouth and was about to say no when he seen Jarod slightly shook his head.   He was confused for a moment, but after looking at Jarod’s pleading eyes he understood.  In order to save Ms. Parker, Jarod will have to sacrifice himself, again.

"Fine," Mr. Parker said, "but be easy on him, we need him alive not dead is that clear?"

"You can trust me," Raines replied, "Willy, take Jarod to his cell."

Willy nodded, untying Jarod from his chair and jerking him to his feet, Jarod grimace in pain but remain quiet.  Mr. Parker remained in the room, hearing their footsteps grew smaller and smaller until he couldn’t hear them at all.

****

Blue Cove Hospital
1200 Hours

Ms. Parker slowly opened her eyes, Broots, who was sitting next to her, rose from his chair and shook Sydney awake.

"What…" Ms. Parker whispered, "Where’s Daddy?"

Sydney replied, "He’s still at the Centre, he has some things to straighten out with Raines."

Ms. Parker tried not to look hurt, not wanting to admit to Sydney or Broots and most of all herself that her father would always place her second in his heart.  "Where’s Jarod? Did he escape with his father on the plane?" She asked.

Sydney exchanged looks with Broots.  They both remain silent for a while, Ms. Parker became confused and worried but kept a straight face. "Well?"

Sydney said, "Jarod got caught, that’s also one of the reasons why your father was at the Centre.  His father was able to escape with the boy though."

Ms. Parker gave a triumphant grin,  "So your lab rat finally got back to its cage,"  she said, "I think after I get out of this hellhole I’ll go home and celebrate."

Sydney’s expression became sad, "Mr. Raines will be in charge of him for a few days."

Ms. Parker let out a gasp of shock.  Mr. Raines is going to take care of Jarod?  "Raines?! Syd, you know what will happen if Jarod is in Raines hands, why didn’t you stop him?"

"I’ve tried, but Mr. Parker ordered me to stay with you."

"What will happen to Jarod now?" She asked softly, afraid of the answer.

Sydney looked away, "I don’t know Ms. Parker, I just don’t know."

Ms. Parker slowly closed her eyes, trying to block her mind out of the thought of Jarod suffering at the hands of Mr. Raines.  She soon fell asleep, her mind filled with memories of her childhood, where everything was perfect.  Her mother was still alive, her father sill has control over the Centre, and of course Jarod was there…

Broots and Sydney quietly walked outside and closed the door.  Broots slowly leaned against the wall, "We’re going to get Jarod out of there,"  Sydney said with a determined look on his face.

Broots, astonished, asked, "You’re going through with the plan? When?"

"Tonight."

*****

The Centre
1800 Hours

Jarod sat at the edge of the bed in his cell, hugging his legs to his chest.  Usually in this sort of situation he’ll be thinking of ways to break out but this time he couldn’t because he knew that if he was to escape, Ms. Parker will die.  He kept on playing the last few moments of when she fell limply into his arms and when he saw her at the recovery room.

"You won’t be able to see Ms. Parker for a long, long time Jarod," Raines said, walking through the door, Willy and the other sweepers following close behind.  Jarod looked up, surprised.

"What the hell are you talking about?  You promised me that—" Jarod began.

"I promised you that I’ll take her to the hospital to save her life, but I didn’t promise how long she’ll remain that way."

Jarod was shocked, anger he never knew he had in him burst out as he hunge at Raines, Willy and the others held him back.

"You’re lying, you’re lying!" He shouted, trying to get away so he could attack again.  "I know you’re lying, her father wouldn’t allow that to happen to her."

Mr. Raines replied sarcastically, "You don’t know what he would allow Jarod, it’s only a small sacrifice to make in order to get you back Jarod." And as he walked out the door, he said, "Ms. Parker is dead Jarod, she should have been dead a long time ago so she wouldn’t have caused so much trouble."  Willy and the sweepers pushed Jarod against the wall and followed after him.

Jarod slid down the wall, his hands hugging his arms as he sat down, Mr. Raines words still echoed in his mind, "Ms. Parker is dead Jarod….dead Jarod…..dead Jarod…" "NO!!" He yelled, covering his ears, trying to block out what Raines said as tears ran down his eyes, "No….." As his shoulders shook, he cried, finally believing that his love has indeed died. "I love you….I love you Ms. Parker." He whispered
 
 

************
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 3 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part III
by Evanescent





Raine’s Office
2100 Hours

"Get ready to move Jarod to SL-30," Mr. Raines wheezed.

"My pleasure Mr. Raines," Willy answered as he walked away smiling toward the direction of Jarod’s cell.

****

Jarod’s Room
2130 Hours

Jarod woke up and glanced around.  Something was wrong, he was about to get up until he felt a sharp pain at the back of his neck and suddenly the world went black.  Willy grinned slyly as he put his gun back to his pocket.  That was easier than he thought.  He took out his cell phone and said into the mouthpiece, "He is ready for transportation Mr. Raines."

*****

In the hallway near Jarod’s Room
2300 Hours

Sydney slowly made his way down the hall, Broots followed behind, his eyes nervously darting back and forth, silently praying to himself that he would not get caught.  "Sydney," he whispered, "Are you sure we’ll be able to get Jarod out in time?"

"I don’t know Broots," Sydney whispered back, "I had Angelo create a malfunction in the security system so that will give us at least 15 minutes to get him out,"

"Do you think we’ll make it in time?"

"I hope so Broots," Sydney replied, looking away so Broots couldn’t see the pain in his eyes.  He slowly opened the door, as he crept inside, Broots stood outside, keeping a look out for any sweepers or cleaners. Sydney continued with his search, "Jarod," he whispered, "Jarod!" fearing for the worst, he flipped on the light switch located on the wall and gasped.  Broots heard the sound and rushed to his side, Sydney was in shock, and after a few minutes he whispered "Jarod’s gone."

****

Blue Cove Hospital
2300 Hours

Ms. Parker woke up, her eyes damped with tears.  She touched her fingers to the tears that’s still rolling down her cheeks and wondered why she feel as if there’s a great sadness in her heart that she could not push out of her mind like she always did.  She sat quietly on the bed, tears still rolling down her cheeks, never had she felt such sadness before, it was as if her heart is breaking yet she doesn’t know why……

*****

The Centre
2400 Hours

(We see a black file, in red bold font, it said SL-30 – ALTERATION.  As if a whiff of air blew into it, the file opened, exposing a picture of Jarod on top of a thick stack of papers)

A mysterious figure silently walked into the room, took the file from the desk and disappeared.

****

The Centre
100 Hour

The figure reemerged, he slowly walked to a computer and after a few minutes began started typing rapidly at phenomenal speed.  He stopped abruptly, satisfied that he had located the message he wanted. He turned on the scanner, and page by page, he copied the file into the computer.  (View of the computer screen of the message)

Jarod,

I know only you could break the code that I created.  I want you to go to Madison, Wisconsin. I’ll be waiting for you with the other Jarod.  I love you son.

Your Father

When the figure finished scanning the file into the computer he then moves his cursor to the button "Send" on the computer screen and clicked on it.  After a few minutes, he shut down the computer and walked out.  A Cracker Jack box dropped on the floor, he bent down and picked it up, pop another Cracker Jack into his mouth and silently crawled into the air vent.

****

Annie’s B & B Hotel
Madison, Wisconsin
900 Hours

"Dad! Check out the PEZ I bought!" Young Jarod cried happily, bursting through the door of their hotel room.

Major Charles laughed, "Be careful," he warned, "Too much sugar could give you a sugar rush son." He was sitting on the computer, searching for any clues that might lead him to Jarod, Emily, and his love, their mother. (We see a picture of a mailbox with a letter in it on the computer)

"Come on, Wisconsin is great!  Let’s go outside!" Young Jarod pleaded.

"Hold on a minute Jarod, let me just check my mail first" Major Charles chuckled. (We see the cursor moving to the mailbox and clicked on it).
 

************
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 4 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part IV
by Evanescent





Annie’s B & B Hotel
Madison, Wisconsin
900 Hours

"Hold on a minute Jarod, let me just check my mail first" Major Charles chuckled. (We see the cursor moving to the mailbox and clicked on it).

Major Charles opened the file and was surprised by the picture of Jarod shown at the front.  "Come on Dad!" Young Jarod cried, he walked over to where Major was sitting was as shocked as Major when they both saw the picture.

No one said a word as Major and young Jarod absorbed the 100 page information in the matter of seconds.  "Oh my God," Major whispered as he covered his head with his hands, "My boy, my poor boy,"

Young Jarod thought quietly, "Maybe if you bring me back to the Centre, they’ll let my brother go—"

"NO! Jarod, I am not going to allow you to go back into the Centre—"

"But my brother’s in there!  And he’s your son, we could not let him die in there—"

"He’s not going to die, just wait a second—"

"Yes, he will, the Jarod we both know will die if we don’t help him," Young Jarod’s eyes glistened with unshed tears.

Sighing, "I said wait a second Jarod, it doesn’t mean that we’re not going to rescue him but I can’t let you go back,"

"If you were Jarod, what will you do?" Young Jarod asked, Major Charles remained silent, he was stunned by his son’s question. "I know what he’ll do, he will try his best to get us to safety even if it meant sacrificing his own life but I’m not Jarod, I’m Jarod’s brother.  When you told me how Jarod was willing to give up anything to save his brother, I understood because I was him, and now I want to do the same because--" A tear rolled down to Major’s cheek, "He’s my brother, and I can’t let him die."  He stood quietly for a while; "Do you understand what I’m trying to say?" He asked.

"Yeah son, I do.  In other words, you’re coming with me whether I like it or not right?" Major asked with a half-grin.

"Yeah."

"Then get your things Jarod, we’re going back to the Centre."

****
 

SL-30
1200 Hours

"Is he ready yet?" Mr. Raines asked.

"The subject seem to be fighting the treatment Mr. Raines.  He refused to give up, no matter how many doses of the treatment we gave him, he always fights it off but he’s growing weaker so it’ll be another 12 hours before we know for sure if the treatment really works," Dr. Kosin replied.

"I’ll be back in 2400 hours."

"Yes Mr. Raines."

The doctor looked back at the sleeping man on the table, he heard of him, in fact, more than once, the one and only Jarod, the hero of mankind, the savior of the weak, and, he thought with a laugh, Onyssius, God of retribution.   He walked over to the table where Mr. Raines given him a box of Jarod’s things, things he had to go through before Jarod wakes up.  He took out a videotape from the box, walk over to the VCR that’s next to bed where Jarod was being kept and pop it in.  He sat down on a chair, turned on the TV and hit the play button. As he watched, he slowly began to understood why so many people would die for him, he had innocence and mischief of a child, filled with wonder and mystery and above all, a compassion that was beyond compared.  Not only that, he has an off the scale IQ and a face that any women would fall for. He played the whole tape, and especially like the part where Jarod was waving to the camera when he was pretending to be a firemen, it was like he was a child again, free of worry and danger, just free.

 Shaking his head to clear any emotional thoughts out of his head, he got up and walked toward the box again, this time picking up a red book from the box. He flipped through the pages, realizing every one of those pages was covered in newspaper articles, he glanced over at Jarod, who still remained motionless and was shocked, these were all the cases he solved, cases that would’ve remained unsolved if Jarod hadn’t done something about it.

Realizing that he need to remain objective, to not develop any emotional connection with this man, he decided to listen to some of Jarod’s phone conversations with Sydney, he pick up a tape player and press the play button, (Tape recorder playing)

"I….never pulled the…..trigger before," Jarod said brokenly,

"You saved countless number of lives! And untold number of people!" Sydney replied,

"Just feel so…….empty," Jarod said, his voice filled with pain and anguish.

Quickly shutting the tape recorder off, Dr. Kosin began to pace, unable to think, only to feel.  Admiration, fondness, hate, sorrow flooded into him in a wave of emotions, I can’t do this he thought to himself, but when he heard a groan coming from Jarod, he knew that Jarod will soon lose the battle and the Jarod everyone knew and loved will be gone forever.  The surveillance cameras he thought, he acted quickly, positioning himself between the camera and Jarod, he cautiously grabbed the IV bag and formed a needle-size hole in it with his ballpoint pen.  Then he pretended he was going to check Jarod’s analysis and walked over to the end of the bed and waited.  Soon the hole got bigger, he swore, pretending to not know what’s going on and get a new bag, this time it was only filled with substances that will not harm Jarod, just nutrients for his body.

He walked back to the box, is it going to work? He thought, Jarod already consumed about 90% of the treatment already, he may not even remember anyone when he wakes up.  Hopefully, he thought, when he wakes up, there are still 10% of him that would still be Jarod because the Alternation will fail if, and only if the subject wants it to fail.  And if Jarod only has 10% of what he was before, he still got a chance to regain what he had lost…that is, if he still wants to after the Alternation.
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 5 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part V
by Evanescent





"Is he ready now?" Raines asked, walking into the room dragging his oxygen tank behind him.

"Yes Mr. Raines. The Alternation has been successful," Kosin replied.

Satisfied, Raines walked over to the table where the sleeping man was and waited silently. Jarod opened his eyes and Raines was pleased to see no warmth in them, no light, no hope, no love, only coldness. "Hello Michael," he replied, Jarod silently turned his head towards the man, "It’s time to start on your 1st sim."

*****

Blue Cove Hospital
1300 Hours

Sydney, who was sitting at the edge of Ms. Parker’s bed, said quietly "Jarod is gone," silence filled the room as his words sunk it.

After a few minutes Ms. Parker sat up from her bed and asked, "Syd, do you think Jarod might have escaped?" Please say yes she though.

"Jarod will not do that, Ms. Parker. Even if he could escape, he would remain at the Centre until he knows you are out of danger," Sydney replied, his heart filled with unbearable grief and sadness for the boy he loved as his own. He could see the hope in Ms. Parker’s eyes died, he looked away to avoid seeing the sorrow in them he also felt.

"Ms. Parker, you have to talk to your father, only he—" Sydney began

"No Syd," Ms. Parker angrily replied, "I have chased your experiment for 3 years and now that he’s back, there’s no way in hell I am going to let him ruin my life again."

"But Ms. Parker—"

"No Sydney, I had enough. Jarod’s mind games has no effect on me anymore, and I’m sure as hell not going to go through it again."

"I’m sorry, but the patient needs her rest now." A nurse walked into the room & smiled at Sydney & Broots. The 2 men nodded and casting one last look at Ms. Parker, Sydney followed Broots out the door, closing it behind him.

Ms. Parker reached over to the night stand next to her bed and took the cellular phone on it and punched in a series of numbers, she pressed the phone to her ear and said into the mouthpiece, "Daddy, I need to talk to you about something."

****

The Centre
1500 Hours

Their hearts heavy with despair; Sydney and Broots walked into Sydney’s office only to find a bald man standing before them.

"Raines," Sydney whispered, the anger in him grew at the sight of him. He must control his temper, he thought, if he upset this bastard in any way, he might not get a chance to see Jarod.

"Sydney, you may go see Jarod now," Raines said, he smiled mockingly. Sydney and Broots was caught off guard, they had not expected this. The smile on Raines face broadened and became more ugly. "The Alteration is complete."

Sydney’s eyes flashed and without thinking he shoved Raines to the wall. "You bastard," he hissed, "What have you done to Jarod?"

"Call it an Alteration, the Jarod you know is dead, his name is Michael now." Raines said, thoroughly enjoying the thought that he could inflict anger on the usually mild mannered therapist.  His grin grew wider as Sydney back off, stunned by the news.

"I had him performed a sim for me, his results, as usual was astounding, even you will be pleased with the results." He handed Broots the DSA before walking out the door.

Broots opened the DSA player, push the disc in and pressed the button for play. Then both he and Sydney stared into the screen….(View of DSA screen)

"Michael, I want you to see if you could break this man, he has been uncooperative and refused to tell us the information we needed. We held his family hostage yet he was still determined to not give us the information."

"Yes Mr. Raines." Jarod replied and in lightning speed he absorbed the file in front of him, when he finished he looked up to Mr. Raines answered, "Bring the family in."

The sweepers brought in a middle-aged man and forced him into a chair, Jarod walked up to him and asked, "How close are you to your family Mr. Peterson?" The man remained silent, Jarod smiled mockingly at him and said to Raines, "Bring the family in," The man’s eyes flew to Jarod’s, hoping for sympathy from him yet he found only coldness in the depths of his eyes in return. A women and her 2 children was then shoved into the room, their eyes large with fear and terror, the children grasp tightly on each of their mother’s hands as she stood quietly, trembling, waiting.

"Bring one of the children to me," he said, Raines nodded his head to one of the sweepers as the sweeper grabbed one of the children from the mother, the woman cried out and tried to reach for her child yet she was forced back by 2 sweepers. She watched tearfully as the child was brought to Jarod.

Jarod gave the child a empty smile and asked, "What’s your name little boy?"

The boy answered feebly, "Danny,"

"Okay, Danny, I’m going to play a game with you okay?"

"Okay,"

"Hand me a gun," Jarod said to the sweeper, the sweeper obeyed and withdrew a gun and gave it to Jarod.

"Now, I want you to put the pistol to your head okay?" Jarod asked Danny in a soft tone yet it has no emotions in it.

"Okay," pointing the gun at his temple, he looked at Jarod and his father for approval, his father shook his head violently, scared, Danny quickly lowered the gun to his side.

Jarod then smiled at the boy and shook his head, "Now Danny, if you do that, daddy will get hurt," turning to the sweeper, he said, "beat him."

Danny watched in horror as the sweeper threw a punch at his father’s stomach, sending him to the ground groaning in pain. "Stop! You’re hurting my daddy!"

"Stop it! You’re hurting my husband!" The woman cried, trying to free herself from the two sweepers to run and protect her husband.

Mr. Raines replied, "Okay Mr. Peterson, this is your last chance, if you don’t want your son to commit suicide unknowingly," he threw an amused at Jarod, "Then you better tell us the code of your safe deposit box in Switzerland.

Mr. Peterson, now with tears of anguish streaming down his cheeks he whispered, "The code is family," Looking with love at his wife and children with so much love in his eyes, "Family."

Jarod smiled mockingly, and remained unmoved by the love he saw that was in the man’s eyes when he look at his family and sat down on the chair, awaiting further orders.
 
"My God," Sydney whispered as he closed the DSA player, "They killed Jarod."
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 6 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part VI
by Evanescent



"My God," Sydney whispered as he closed the DSA player, "They killed Jarod."

"Sydney, what are we going to do?" Broots whispered, "Syd? Syd!" he turns away from the DSA player to look at him as he turned abruptly and walked quickly out the door toward the direction of Jarod’s cell.

*****

Jarod’s Cell
1600 Hours

Jarod was sitting at his desk absorbing a file for his next sim when Sydney burst through the door.  Without a word, Jarod looked up from the file to his intruder, "Hello Dr. Green, " he said.

"Jarod, do you know who I am?" Sydney asked.

"I’m sorry Dr. Green, apparently you have mistaken me for another one of your subjects.  My name is Michael, and although I was told that I bear a strong resemblance to the other pretender, I assure you, we are not the same man." Sydney didn’t say anything, he looked into Jarod’s eyes to search if there was still anything left of the Jarod he knew, but there was no intensity, no tenderness in them like the Jarod he used to know would always posses in his eyes.

"No Jarod, don’t you understand, you really are Jarod!"  Sydney cried

"I apologize Dr. Green, I am not Jarod.  I felt sorry for the death of your pretender, but that does not mean I will act as a replacement for the one you already lost—"

"Jarod,--"

"Dr. Green, let me repeat what I just said, I am not Jarod, the Jarod you know is dead, I am Michael.  Now if you don’t mind I need to—"

"Jarod! Listen to me!" Sydney yelled, he grabbed his shoulders so that Jarod would look directly at him, "Raines had lied to you, you are Jarod, don’t you remember who you are?"

"Apparently you need to be told again that I am not Jarod.  And yes, I do remember who I am, my name is Michael, the Centre adopted me and took me here when I was still a baby."

"Raines lied to you Jarod, you were stolen! You were stolen by the Centre!"

Silence filled the room, after a few minutes Jarod replied calmly, "No, I’m not, my parents were killed on the way back from the hospital, I was the only survivor.  Now if you don’t mind, I have more files to go through before my next sim." Turning to his files, he brushed off his mentor’s hands and went back to what he was doing as if Sydney never came through the door at all.

"Jarod," Sydney made one final attempt to reach out to him but suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder, he looked up and saw that it was Willie.

"I’m sorry Dr. Green but I’m afraid that Michael will need his full concentration for the sim that he’ll be performing tomorrow so would you please step out of the room." He replied, with a triumphant gleam in his eyes.  Sydney narrowed his eyes but knew he could not do anything right now.  Taking one last look at Jarod, he walked out the door and back into his office.  He needs time to think.

As Willie followed after Sydney and closed the door behind him, Jarod remained as though he was still going through the file yet what Sydney said echoed in his mind, "Raines lied to you Jarod, you were stolen! You were stolen by the Centre!….. You were stolen by the Centre!…….the Centre……..the Centre….." Shutting his eyes briefly, he opened them again and resumed his work.

****

The Centre
1700 Hours

"So how did it go?" Broots asked as he saw Sydney walk through the door

"He doesn’t know me anymore Broots, I couldn’t get through to him.  He is a different person now, there’s no kindness, no compassion in his eyes, we have to think of something or we may lose him forever," He said, walking over to the desk and picked up a file.  It read SL-30 – Alterations on the front cover.  He opened the file and was surprised to find a picture of Jarod on the front, he read rapidly through the file and after a few minutes he closed it and set it back to the desk, shocked. Broots walked over and picked up the file and started skimming through it, his reaction caused him to drop the file and scatter it all over the floor.  Broots hurriedly bend down and started picking up the papers, he was about to pick up the last piece, the picture of Jarod, until a pair of long legs in high heels in front of him stopped him, he looked up and into the eyes of Ms. Parker.

"Ms. Parker," he whispered, "You’re back."

Wordlessly she bends down and picked up the picture, holding it up, she asked, "And what were you going to do with this Broots?  Put it under your pillow to sleep with at night?" She snatched the folder from him and read through it, after a few seconds she shut the folder and threw it on the table, causing the papers to scatter, again. Broots ran to the desk to pick it up, "Syd, what are we going to do?" She asked, her voice filled with pain.

Sydney looked at her and whispered, "I don’t know Ms. Parker," he fell silent, as Ms. Parker looked over at Sydney, she realized he looked 10 years older, the last couple of days had really taken a toll on him she thought.

Suddenly the door flew open and Mr. Parker walked in, "Angel! Glad to have you home honey," he envelopes her in a hug, "I was surprised when you called me, I didn’t think you would have barely any strength to open your eyes let alone make a phone call," releasing her.

"I know. Daddy, could you please go and put Jarod into Sydney’s custody?" She asked, Mr. Parker raised an eyebrow, pretending to be confused, she rushed on, "Because Sydney knows Jarod more than anyone else—"

"Oh that. Well, yes angel, you do have a point there. However, Raines know how to break a man more than anyone else at the Centre," he replied, he was curious to find out what kind of feelings his daughter have for this man before agreeing to her proposal.

"He already broke him," Ms. Parker nearly shouted, Mr. Parker looked at her in alarm, "Raines changed him into a psychopath, just like what he did to Kyle but with better results.  His name is Michael now." She grabbed the file from Broots and handed it to her father.

Mr. Parker took the file and quickly read through the pages, after a few minutes, he shut it and turned to Sydney, "All right Sydney, you will regain custody over Jarod, or Michael, or whatever his name is now." He replied, then turning to his daughter, he said, "Now that should be payment for the man who saved your life, after what he did, I think this is repayment enough."

"What?!" Ms. Parker whispered.
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 7 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part VII
by Evanescent


 
 

"What?!" Ms. Parker whispered.

"Didn’t Sydney or Broots told you about it? When you were shot, Jarod was the one who saved your life!  We caught him because of you. Congratulations sweetheart," He replied, cringing inwardly at the thought of the pain he had caused his daughter but he must tell her the truth, he owe both of them at least that much.

"You mean that you were not the one who saved me?" She asked hoarsely, she just want to break down but, refusing to show any emotion in front of her father, she remain standing, fighting the tears that’s threatening to run down her face.

"I couldn’t honey.  Mr. Raines held me up at gunpoint and threatened to shoot me if I made a move, it was Jarod who bargained with him so that he could get you to the hospital.  Raines would’ve let you died there if it wasn’t for him.  He made a deal with Raines, his life for yours,"

"So your telling me that Jarod was back of the Centre because of me?"

"Of course angel, and a close call too, if he hadn’t made that deal with Raines, you’ll be dead by now.  I think putting him in Sydney’s custody is repayment enough," Sydney and Broots looked at each other, unable to say a word, they could only stare at the father and daughter.

"So everything you’re telling me is the truth?" She asked, her eyes was bleary, she couldn’t see and blinked away her tears.  Mr. Parker wanted to hug her but he remains still, pretending he didn’t notice his own daughter was breaking down before his eyes.

"Sure, I got the tape to prove it," He pulled the tape player out from his pocket and handed it to her.  "I thought you might want to hear it, hell, I wanted to hear the tape myself but didn’t get a chance to. Maybe next time honey, right now I need to talk to the triumvirate about what happened to their top pretender while I was away so I wouldn’t get blamed for this mess." He quickly walked out the door, he knew if she breaks down in front of him, he wouldn’t be able to keep up with the act any longer.

She pressed the button on the tape player to play and listened.  The room fell silent as they heard what Jarod had said….
 
 

(Record player playing)

Jarod: (Voice tight with emotion, whispered) "Don't forget me, Miss Parker,"  (His footsteps fade and door closing behind him)
Jarod: (Footsteps became more loudly, Jarod, in a clear voice, demanded) Before I go with you Raines, I want all of you to not tell Miss Parker that I had any part in saving her, all right?"
Lyle: And why should we listen to you Jarod?
Jarod: Because Lyle, you forget that if Miss Parker is told what happened she will try and save me and with Matombo there that may cause a disturbance if I were to escape again.  So will you all not mention a word of this to Miss Parker?"
Raines: Fine.
Jarod: Lyle, Brigitte?
Lyle: If it's fine with Raines it's fine with me.
Brigette: Anything for you love
Raines: Willie, cuff him.
(Heard the sound of cuffs snapping and footsteps)
Jarod: (His voice filled with uncontrollable emotions) Take care of her Syd, don't let anything happen to her.
(Footsteps slowly grew softer, then there was nothing).

"Oh my God……………" Ms. Parker whispered, a tear slid down her cheek, another quickly followed, then another. She walked over and sat down on Sydney’s chair by his desk.

"Parker, we need to save Jarod, or whatever is left of him or else we will lose him," Sydney whispered, walking behind Ms. Parker and putting his hand on her shoulder. "Forever."

Ms. Parker remained silent, Sydney, frustrated and angry grabbed the DSA player from his table and opened it, and turn it to Ms. Parker, pushing the DSA in as he pressed play.  For next few minutes she sat staring at the screen in horror of what the Jarod she knew had turned into.

****

Sim Lab
1800 Hours

"Good job Jarod," Mr. Raines said,

Jarod looked at him and then looked away, he asked, "Am I allowed to go out Mr. Raines?"

"No!  You are my pretender," He rasped, Jarod narrowed his eyes, "You know what happened to the other pretender, it was because of what he knew of the outside world that destroyed him in the end.  Besides, the Centre owns you Jarod, now until the day you die." He smirked.

"Yes Mr. Raines." He said coolly, but he was burning with anger.

Mr. Parker walked in, "Raines, I have spoken to the triumvirate, apparently you thought you could conduct a little secret of your own.  The triumvirate was displeased and gave me the power to grant Sydney back his custody over Jarod." Taking a glance at Jarod, the pretender raised his eyes, surprised.

"No one is taking MY pretender." Raines hissed.

"He is not YOUR pretender Raines, he belongs to the Centre and if you want to argue this point, take it up to the triumvirate!" Mr. Parker yelled.  Raines lowered his eyes, and didn’t utter another word.  Instead he opened the door and walked out, he was never able to take defeat easily Mr. Parker thought triumphantly, and followed after Raines, closing the door behind him.

Jarod sat on his chair, he needs to get out of here, he thought, but then the other pretender….his eyes opened in realization, I was the other pretender, I was Jarod. No, they were all lying, they were trying to brainwash me into thinking I was the other pretender he concluded.  He’s going to get even with them, this time he’s going to kill them…….

His thoughts were interrupted when he saw Sydney walk into the room, "Hello Jarod, I’m going to be taking care of you for a while."

"My name is Michael." He said calmly.  He have to escape…..

*****

Hunting Shack
Delaware
1930 Hours

"I guess we’ll have to sleep here for the night," Major Charles said, setting his computer down as young Jarod climbed into the higher bunk.

"Dad?" Jarod asked,

"Yeah Jarod?" Major replied, they both knew the question he was about to ask next.

"Do you……do you think it might already be too late, for Jarod, I mean my brother?"

"I hope not, I hope not." Major replied hoarsely, his eyes darkened at the thought.

"What if he is?" Jarod reluctantly asked, he had to know.

"Then we’ll have to kill him.  He will no longer be the Jarod we knew, he’ll be—" Major looked with a pained expression at the picture he printed out of his beloved son on the table, "Michael."

*****

Sim Lab
2000 Hours

"Jarod listen to me!  You are Jarod!" Sydney cried, he had been trying for the past 2 hours to try and get Jarod to remember at least one small part of his past.

"Look Dr. Green, I am NOT the Jarod you used to know.  Jarod is dead, I think it is time you deal with your grief and move on!" Jarod yelled, clearly starting to get angry with the older man.  His mind is made up; he had to break out of the Centre even if it killed him, before this doctor succeed in brainwashing him..

"No Jarod, listen to me!—"

"What the hell is going on here?" A woman demanded

They both turned toward direction of the voice and standing at the doorway was none other than Ms. Parker. Something in Jarod’s mind flashed when he saw her, he sat down as an unknown memory flooded into his mind….

(Flashback)

"How did we end up like this" He asked, he felt so confused, so alone.

"Like what?" Ms. Parker snapped.

"It’s strange that we both want the same thing, someone to care about, someone to care about us….."
(Flashback ended)
 

"How did we end up like this……The memory echoed in Jarod’s mind, over and over again.

"I said, what the hell is going on here?" Ms. Parker repeated.

Jarod shook his head, pushing the memory to the back of his mind, and stood up. He brushed past her and sat down in front of the computer. "Look Jarod—" Ms. Parker began

"Michael," He replied.

"Jarod, have you forgotten what happened the last couple of days? You—"

"Look, whoever you are—"

"Ms. Parker—"

"Ms. Parker, I don’t care who you are, but I know who I am—"

"You KNOW what was given to you—" Jarod’s eyes turned dark with hatred, Ms. Parker took a step back, shocked at the hate that burned in his eyes, this was not the Jarod she knew, this was Michael.

"I don’t care if it was given to me or not, the Jarod you know is dead! The man you are talking to is Michael now, so if you don’t mind, I’ve got some work to do." He turned away from them and began clicking away at the computer, starting the sim.  When he saw that they left, he quickly planned his escape, for in order for this plan to work, he had to kill those that are the head of the Centre, Mr. Parker, Raines, Sydney, and of course Ms. Parker…

*****

Sydney’s Office
2200 Hours

"Damn it Sydney.  Everything we had said to him for the past hour didn’t work," Ms. Parker yelled, after trying to convince Jarod he is not Michael, she was defeated by the boy genius.

"I know Ms. Parker, but we have to be patient—" Sydney began,

"If we are any more patient Jarod will definitely turn into Michael—"

"Maybe he already has Ms. Parker." Ms. Parker’s eyes flew to Sydney’s, fear burned in those clear blue eyes, but determination soon replaced the thought.

"No Syd, there has to be another way, we just have to find it, and get Broots to help you.  We got to get the Jarod we know back or else we’ll have another psychopath in hell. I’m going to talk to Daddy, see what he could do." She replied,

"I’ll come with you." Sydney said as the two walked out the door towards the direction of Mr. Parker’s office.

******

Jarod’s Room
2300 Hours

Willie brought Jarod back to his cell, after taking the handcuffs off him he suddenly doubled over in pain as Jarod punched him hard in the stomach.  He tried to draw his gun from his jacket but Jarod’s hands were to quick, he grabbed Willie by the collar and threw him toward the wall, head first.  The man crumbled to the ground, unconscious, bleeding from the head. Jarod reach for his jacket and grabbed his gun, he crawled through the air vent, toward the direction of Mr. Parker’s office.

*****

Mr. Parker’s Office
2400 Hours

Mr. Parker, who was sitting by his desk, going over some papers about SL-30 when he felt a sharp object pushed against the back of his head his head. "Get up," Jarod’s growled.

Mr. Parker slowly stood up, "Jarod," he began

"Shut up! My name is Michael," he yelled

Ms. Parker and Sydney just walked through the door, they both froze when they saw what Jarod was doing.  "Hello Ms. Parker, Dr. Green, I’m glad that you’ll be able to join us," Jarod smirked,
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 8 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part VIII
by Evanescent




Ms. Parker and Sydney just walked through the door, they both froze when they saw what Jarod was doing.  "Hello Ms. Parker, Dr. Green, I’m glad that you’ll be able to join us," Jarod smirked,

"Jarod—"Ms. Parker said,

"Michael!" He shouted.

"Fine. Michael, let my father go, do you know what you’re doing?"

"I’m going to kill everyone in the Centre," he took about another gun and pointed it back to Mr. Parker’s head.  He looked over at Mr. Parker, "Starting with you." Moving his other gun until it was pointed directly at Sydney.

****

The Centre
2430 Hours

"Hey, Dad—"Jarod whispered,

"Shh!" Major whispered, putting a finger on his lips.  After crawling around in air vent for the past half-hour, he needed all his concentration if he wanted to get Jarod out of here alive.

A hand touched his shoulder, he slowly turned his head around, his hand on his gun ready to shoot. "Angelo!" He whispered happily

Angelo smiled, Young Jarod said in a low voice, "What’s what I’ve been trying to tell you, Angelo is here with us,"

"Angelo, can you help me find Jarod?" Major asked desperately,

Angelo’s smile disappeared, he sadly said, "Jarod…..dying……Michael now."

Major stopped crawling, shocked, Young Jarod put a hand on his shoulder, "Dad, does this mean that we have to kill--" he asked reluctantly

"No!  Hold on, Angelo said that Jarod is dying that means that Jarod is becoming more and more like Michael but we haven’t lost him yet.  If we could just reverse the effects…I got it!  I read in the file that the only way that Alternations would fail is if the subject really wanted it to happen…but how are we going to do that when Jarod is Michael now?"

Angelo began crawling, gesturing them to follow.  Young Jarod and the Major fell silent and crawled after him.  Soon they heard voices coming from the vent, they looked down and there was Jarod……..pointing the gun directly at Sydney…………

****

Mr. Parker’s Office
100 Hour

"Say good-bye Dr. Green," Jarod said, he was about pull the trigger when another unfamiliar memory flooded his mind……

(Flashback)
(Young Jarod hands Sydney a Father's Day card that depicts a man holding the hand of a boy. It is hand drawn.)
Sydney: Jarod I told you I can’t accept this.
Jarod: But I made it for you.
Sydney: This card is meant for someone else.
Jarod: Don't you love me Sydney? (Hurt in his eyes)
Sydney: (Deposits the card in a waste bin.) We have work to do.
"Jarod, what’s wrong? Jarod!" Sydney cried when he saw his beloved pretender seem to have a blank look shown on his face and would not respond to his calling.

"Who the hell are you?" Jarod yelled at him, he took a step back, he shook his head, and switched his left target at Ms. Parker when Mr. Raines, Brigitte, and Lyle came strolling in, they also froze in their position when they saw who was holding the gun.

"What are you doing Michael?" Raines demanded

"Shut up.  This shouldn’t take long." Jarod replied, Mr. Raine’s eyes burned in anger but he fell silent.

With his gun pointed at Ms. Parker now, he tried to pull the trigger but he couldn’t, something wouldn’t let him, then he remembered…….the smell of a women’s hair…….those beautiful eyes………the most beautiful woman he had ever seen…….who was that women?  He looks at Ms. Parker, she’s so beautiful………… no, it can’t be her, he thought, and made one last attempt to pull the trigger, his fingers weren’t cooperating,  his mind isn’t thinking clearly, all he could think was the unknown women, where had he seen her? How come he couldn’t see her face, only her eyes? He took another step back; his plan is not going as well as it should…

Ms. Parker looked at Jarod with confusion and worry, what’s wrong with him? She thought.  She took a step forward, just as Broots came in.  His eyes flew to the gun but remained standing, he could not run now, his friends needed him.

Jarod was becoming agitated, where are these memories coming from?  They must have succeeded in brainwashing him, no, he must break away, if he let his emotions get in the way, he may end up like Jarod…….he is Jarod he thought grimly, could these be his past memories? Damnit.  He couldn’t think straight, they did this to him, now he will have his revenge.  He smiled dangerously and directed his gun to Mr. Raines, "Good-bye Mr. Raines." He said softly, he laughed and was about to pull the trigger when something fell from the air vent and landed in back of him. Before he could react, the blow to the back of the head knocked him out.

"Major Charles." Ms. Parker whispered, grateful that he saved her father.

"The fun isn’t over yet," The Major said, he pointed the gun he had in his hand at Mr. Raines, "I ought to shoot you for what you did to my son, but right now I don’t have the time.  Jarod!" He called to the boy in the vent, "Come down, it’s safe now,"

Young Jarod jumped down, he smiled shyly at Ms. Parker.  "Okay, Jarod, get the chopper ready," Major told him, Young Jarod nodded, he looked down at Jarod, lying on the floor and became worried, "Are you sure you didn’t hit him too hard dad?" He asked.

"I’m sure son, now hurry up and don’t let anyone at the Centre see you." Young Jarod nodded and ran off, out of the room.

Raines, burning in anger was unable to speak, both of his best pretenders had escaped him, again.  Lyle and Brigette glanced at each other and knew that the triumvirate isn’t going to like this.  Major Charles pointed the gun at Ms. Parker, "Ms. Parker, Sydney, Broots, get in the chopper, I need you to help me with something,"

"With what?" Sydney asked

"Getting Jarod back."

*****

Hunting Shack
Delaware
900 Hours

Jarod opened his eyes, where am I? He thought, he got up, rubbing his head, the pain of the blow had not went away. "Good morning," A man said, standing in the doorway, he walked in.  "Do you want any breakfast?"

"Who the hell are you?" Jarod demanded, immediately the back of his head began to throb, he sat back down onto the bed to stop the dizziness the pain had caused him.

"Sorry about that," The man said, he walked over and sat down on a chair beside the bed.

"About what? You are the one that did this to me?" He asked, his temper rising.

"Yeah, son.  If I hadn’t you would’ve killed everyone at the Centre by now."

"That was my intention,"

"This is going to take longer than I thought," Major replied, rubbing his temples with his fingers. "Jarod--"

"Michael," Jarod shouted.

"Jarod!  Don’t you remember anything?!  I’m your father, don’t you remember?" his father shouted

Jarod mind again was flooded with another unknown memory….

(Flashback)
(Jarod was running, quickly looking for a place to escape when someone grabbed him by the shoulders)
Major Charles: Oh my…..God in heaven, it’s you!
Jarod: Dad!
Major Charles: Look at you!  It’s been so long…
(Jarod so happy and filled with love of his father only gaze at him in wonder)

(Another Flashback)
(Major Charles from the window of a plane)
Major Charles: I love you son!
Jarod: (whispered) I love you too Dad…
"Jarod?  Jarod!" Major cried.  Jarod closed his eyes for a moment, pushing the memory out of his mind.

"All I know is that you have ruined my plans and once I get out of these handcuffs, I will kill you." Jarod yelled, his eyes gleaming with hatred.  Immediately after those words were uttered from his lips, he already regretted them, he hated the man, but it was because of the memories that he does not know he had of this man that caused him to lash out.  He never experienced these feelings before, and he sure as hell is going to keep it out of his system if he was to get away.

"Jarod--" Major he said

"Dad, I think you should come and see this," Young Jarod stepped into the room, he walked toward the Major and smiled at Jarod.

"And who the hell are you?" Jarod asked sarcastically.

"I’m you." Young Jarod said simply.  Jarod’s eyes widen in surprise.

"I’m your clone," Young Jarod replied, a half-smile curved from his lips and amusement danced in his eyes.

Jarod remained silent, I have a clone, he thought in awe.

"Oh yeah," Young Jarod turned back to his father, "Dad, I need to talk to you about something,"

"But—" Major complained, but when he saw the look on Young Jarod’s face, he shut his mouth and followed his son outside, shutting the door behind him.
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 9 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part IX
by Evanescent




"What is it Jarod?" Major asked impatiently, he needed to get back to dealing with the other Jarod.

Young Jarod walked over to a pantry in the kitchen and opened it, he took out the DSA player, "Maybe this could help you convince Jarod that we were not lying to him," he replied.

"You’re right Jarod! You’re a genius!" Major cried happily, he hugged Young Jarod, grabbed the briefcase and ran back into the room with his son close behind him.

***

Jarod’s Room
Hunting Shack
1000 Hours

Major Charles set the DSA player in front of Jarod on the desk.  Jarod stared at the player then looked up at Major Charles and narrowed his eyes.  "This is where you come from Jarod," Major said, he opened the DSA player and pressed play.  Jarod got out of his bed and sat down on the chair in front of the desk, stunned that this was him, this was really him…

****

Living Room
Hunting Shack
1100 Hours

"Why the hell is it taking so long Syd?" Ms. Parker cried, her growing agitation showing, secretly she was worried about Jarod, why hasn’t he turned back by now?

 Broots got up from the couch and started to pace the room, walking back and forth in front of the door, waiting for the news.  Even though he had only seen Jarod once or twice, he grew to admire the man, Jarod would help those people when others turn away, and he doesn’t Jarod to ever lose that.

 "Sit down Broots. You’re making me nauseous," Ms. Parker snapped, Broots quickly walked over to Sydney who sat on the couch and sat down next to him.

Suddenly they heard something shattering, without a word, Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots ran for Jarod’s room.

****

Jarod’s Room
1130 Hours

"Jarod! Listen to me—" Major cried, Jarod only threw the chair at him, or what was after it when he threw it to the wall before, Major ducked, thankful it didn’t hit his head.

"I’m not Jarod!" Jarod screamed, he picked up the DSA case and threw it at him, luckily Young Jarod caught it before it hit the wall.

"Yes you are, you’re Jarod, and you are my son!" Major yelled, he’s getting desperate, if Jarod doesn’t change back soon, he would never be able to turn back.  Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots ran into the room, they were shocked when they saw the damage Jarod did to his childhood home, but was even more surprised when they witness Jarod threw the DSAs at his own father.  Pieces of his past fell and scattered the floor as Major crossed his arms over his face to protect himself.  Young Jarod scurried around the floor to get pick them up, his eyes filled with worry and fear, this was not the Jarod he knew, this was Michael.

Sydney took a step forward toward Jarod, "Jarod—" Sydney pleaded

"I’m not Jarod, I’m Michael!" He yelled, he felt like someone had shoved him underwater and somehow he had to get out, too much memories, too much, he must get out, his eyes darted toward the door where Ms. Parker and Broots was standing in front of and ran.

Ms. Parker and Broots didn’t expect Jarod to charge at them but when they saw him coming, which hatred and fear in his eyes, Ms. Parker pushed Broots out of the way and stood her ground.

Something in Jarod’s mind flashed, those eyes…….he saw them in Ms. Parker, could it be?  Could she be the mysterious woman in his memories?  No, she couldn’t be.  He had to stop, he thought, but if he used his full force and pushed Ms. Parker, he could gain his freedom, but Ms. Parker…..he might hurt her…he tried to stop, but upon doing that, he stumbled onto Ms. Parker instead.  The two landed on the floor, Jarod on top of her.

Ms. Parker felt the weight of Jarod on her and tried to push him off her and look up to yell at him, Jarod shook his head and look down, the two looked into each other’s eyes, something was going on between them yet they don’t know what it is.

What the hell is wrong with me Jarod thought, I must escape.

Quickly he got up, and ran into the living room, arms grabbed him from behind and wrapped him like an iron clasp. He looked behind him, and saw his father holding him……NO! His mind screamed, he is NOT your father.

Jarod looked into the man’s eyes and only saw sorrow, frustration and pain, he quickly looked away and using all his strength he pushed the man away and ran for the door that would lead him to freedom.

"Jarod!" Sydney cried, running after him, he must do something to help him, he must.

He took the gun he had in his pocket, "Major!" Major turned and caught the gun.

Broots, who followed in after Ms. Parker after she got up, whispered urgently to Sydney, "Are you crazy Syd? I thought you were going to save him!  You’re not suppose to hand Major the gun to shoot him!"

"I know Broots, but this is the only way I could think of to save Jarod." Sydney replied, Broots looked at him in confusion, then his eyes widened as he understood the true meaning of what Sydney had said.

"Jarod, stop!" Major cried, "I will shoot you if you walk out that door," he said evenly, trying to keep calm.

Jarod stopped and turned his head around, he looked at the gun, then at the Major, "For the last time I am not Jarod." He replied, his eyes glittering with rage and something else, Sydney thought, but what?

"And I would rather die than stay here with all of you." He put his hand on the knob and turned, Major closed his eyes and his fingers slowly curled around the trigger, a tear slid down his cheek.

"So you mean those DSA’s were lying to you?  To all of us?" Young Jarod demanded, he walked into the room and set it on the living room table in front of Jarod, opened the case, pulled a DSA disc from his pocket, pushed it in and pressed play,

(On Screen)
DSA
(1996 - Jarod is sitting at a computer viewing a DSA of the Gulf War)
Sydney: Jarod. Please.
Jarod: I'm not going to do it.
Sydney: You have to finish this project.
Jarod: No Sydney. I can't do this.

The DSA continued playing, Jarod looked away, he knew it was the truth, but he is Michael now and he was not to have any emotional connections with anyone.  The Jarod in the past had died because of his family, the Michael he is now will not.

Ms. Parker, sensing that Jarod was deep in thought, ran towards him and pushes him away from the door.  Jarod became angry, "Why couldn’t you just let me go!  I’m not Jarod anymore, I’m Michael now." He yelled.

"No!" Major Charles shouted, he set his gun down on the table and with two quick steps he stepped in front of Jarod. He put his hands on his shoulders and said, "You are Jarod, you are my son and you always will be. There’s no way that you, or the Centre could convince me otherwise because…..because I love you son," then the Major embraced him.

Ms. Parker, Sydney, Young Jarod, and Broots looked on as the Major wrapped his arms around his son, tears were forming from Ms. Parker’s eyes but she ignored it while the rest smiled and look on.  Jarod stood paralyzed, he had never felt these feelings before…No wonder Mr. Raines said to stay away from it, he thought, these sort of feelings could destroy him in the end like it did to his past.

He shoved the Major away, "Let me just repeat this one more time, the Jarod you knew is dead, I am Michael and there’s no way in hell—" His sentence was cut short by a blow to the back of the head.

"Next time it’s my turn." Ms. Parker replied.  She looked down at him, a little worried if he was okay.

Sydney bend down to the unconscious body and whispered, "I’m sorry for having to do this to you Michael, but we want Jarod back."

"Dad," Jarod said worriedly, "Do we always have to hit him over the head?  If repeated more than one time, it may increase the chances of—"

"I know, but I hope next time we won’t have too." Major Charles interrupted.  He needs time to think…
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 10 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part X
by Evanescent



Jarod’s Room
1200 Hours

Jarod leaned back against the wall of his room. They knocked him out. Again. Damnit, these people is getting to him, he must find a way to escape, but how? He heard the door of his room opened and quiet footsteps coming toward him, he lifts his head, it was Young Jarod.

"Uh..Hi!" Young Jarod said, he nervously smiled and sat down next him on the floor. Jarod looked at the boy, he was still amazed that this boy is actually his clone. Young Jarod cast an amused glanced at him, he quickly looked away.

"I’m sorry, I’m a little nervous, I mean, I know you don’t want to see anyone right now, especially after what Sydney did to you—"Jarod glared at him, he shrunk back. "But I want to show you something." Young Jarod said, he pulled out a PEZ out from his pocket and handed it to him. Jarod looked at it in wonder, what is this mysterious contraption? He thought and looked at Young Jarod with questions and confusion in his eyes.

"It’s a candy dispenser, you pushed the head up and a candy comes out," Young Jarod happily demonstrated with another PEZ he had in his other pocket. This is a odd feeling, he never thought he’ll be teaching his own brother how to eat candy out of a toy.

Jarod stared at the boy as he demonstrated joyfully, this is very strange he thought as he looked at him, there was no pain or sadness in this boy, it was as if he was looking at himself, only the reflection was 10 years younger. He’s becoming fond of the boy he realized, but that’s okay he thought, he’s only a boy, and Mr. Raines never said anything about how dangerous children could be. He quickly directed his attention onto the PEZ, he wanted to learn how this dispenser works so he could use it himself later on.

"Here, just take the candy out of the toy dispenser with your teeth," Young Jarod directed, Jarod gave him an odd look, but did so, he pulled the head back and took the sugar candy from the toy dispenser. "Now you eat it like this," Young Jarod popped it into his mouth. Jarod complied, and swallowed it.

"No! You’re not suppose to swallow it!" Young Jarod laughed,

Jarod looked at him in confusion, "This isn’t a nutrition supplement?" He asked

"No. This candy has absolutely no nutritional value," he replied, smiling

Jarod is very confused now. "Are you telling me that you enjoy eating foods that have absolutely no nutritional value and may put you in danger of cardiovascular disease or any other possible health risks in the future?"

"Just taste it, bit into it and suck on it. It’s very good."

Jarod hesitantly took a bit out of the candy, he looks up amazed, "This is very good." He savored the taste and pulls the head back of the toy dispenser to have more.

Young Jarod laughed, "Hold on a second, I’ll be right back." Getting up and swiping at his jeans to get the dirt off his back.

"What am I going to hold onto?" Jarod is now very confused.

"It’s a figure of speech, it means to just stay where you are until I come back." Young Jarod raced out the door.

"Do I have a choice?"

****

Kitchen
1230 Hours

Young Jarod sneaked into the kitchen, slowly opened the refrigerator door and took out a big carton of ice cream. He walked over to the pantry and took out 2 bowls and 2 spoons. He set them down quietly and opened the carton. He scooped a generous helping into each of the bowls and after quietly putting the carton back into the refrigerator, he picked up the 2 bowls and tiptoed back into Jarod’s room.

Ms. Parker, Sydney, Major Charles, and Broots walked into the kitchen a minute afterwards. "So Syd, what do you think your 2nd lab rat is up to now?" She asked with a half smile.

"By God Ms. Parker, I don’t know, but I have a feeling we’re going to find out," He replied, smiling as the 4 quietly made their way to Jarod’s bedroom and hovered by the open doorway as Young Jarod handed Jarod a bowl of ice cream, looking on with interest.

*****

Jarod’s Room
1345 Hours

Jarod took the bowl and held it at eye level, examining the mysterious substance. "This is ice cream," Young Jarod said. "Just have a taste like this," He scooped up a portion of the ice cream and brought it close to his lips, as Jarod watched with curiosity, Young Jarod opened his mouth, closed his mouth over the spoon and devour the its sweetness.

"Now you try it."

Major Charles raised an eyebrow at Broots as the man looked on with delight. Ms. Parker cast an amused glance at Sydney, no one dared utter a word as they watched the 2 figures sitting against the wall.

Hesitantly Jarod scooped a small portion of it onto his spoon, as he inched his mouth closer, he cast an uncertain look at Young Jarod, but Jarod only gave him an encouraging look. He closed his mouth over the spoon and soon a smile crossed his face. Sydney and the rest grinned, this was the first time they seen Jarod smile ever since he got here. "This is really good!" Jarod said, he looked up from the bowl, with a white mustache above his lip.

Jarod laughed so hard until he started hugging his stomach because it began to hurt. He ran out of the room, not realizing the four figures hovering by the door. He ran back with a mirror. "Here," he said between laughs, "Take a look at yourself."

Jarod looked into the mirror and laughs, he cried, "I looked like an old man!" He looked at Young Jarod and laughed even harder, he had the same thing on his lip.

Young Jarod took the mirror from Jarod and after looking into his own reflection, he started laughing too. The foursome tried to cover their mouths, they all saw the ice cream mustaches and tried not to laugh. Jarod stopped abruptly, he looked over at the door, hate glittering his eyes, "I know what you guys are doing, come out!" He demanded.

Major, Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots walked into the room guiltily, Ms. Parker tried to cover it up with her normal stance and tilt her chin higher. Jarod turned to his younger brother, his eyes filled with menace, "You knew about this didn’t you?" his voice filled with rage.

"No, Jarod, I wouldn’t even lie to you!" Young Jarod pleaded.

Jarod looked into the young boy’s eyes and instantly he knew that the boy isn’t lying. He lowered his eyes and look away. He knew he had to let the boy know that he had forgiven him, but not now, not when the they’re in the room.

All 5 of them looked defeated when they walked out the room, they had lost him again. And for the rest of the afternoon no matter how much they pleaded, threatened, or yelled, they couldn’t get a word out of him. He sat with his back hunched and seem to be unaware that they were even in the room.

"All right, Ms. Parker, you look after Jarod tonight." Sydney said

"What?! Why the hell do I have to baby-sit your Frankenstein?" Ms. Parker demanded.

"Please Ms. Parker," Sydney pleaded, "Just for tonight."

Rolling her eyes, she sat down on the chair and waited.

That night after Ms. Parker fell asleep, Young Jarod crept into Jarod’s room again, trying to explain to him that he didn’t know that the others were listening to their conversation but found Jarod sleeping. Disappointed, he was about to leave until he saw a piece of paper in Jarod’s hand, he silently took the paper from his hand and read the message written on it:

I believe you.

J.

Smiling, he folded the paper into his pocket and walked softly back to the living room, closing the door behind him.

****

Jarod’s room
2400 Hours

Ms. Parker was sound asleep when she suddenly heard a sob. She woke up with a jolt and looked around, confused, then she spotted Jarod, he was having a nightmare.

 She walked over and heard him murmur, "No! Please no, please, please no!" He was trembling, his arms hugging his shoulders, his head tossing back and forth, he attempted to get out of the bed. She quickly pushed her hands on his shoulders but he was too strong. She wrapped her arms around him and held him still, gently rocking him back and forth, soothing him.

 "No, please no, please no!" She heard Jarod murmur against her shoulder, she continued to rock him, running her left hand through his hair, stroking his head and the other hand stroking his back, tears running down her face, "Oh Jarod…" she whispered………….
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 11 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XI
by Evanescent




Hunting Shack
Jarod’s Room
1200 Hours

So warm………………..comforting………..Jarod opened his eyes.  Ms. Parker had her arms still wrapped around him, and was asleep next to him.  He tried to get up, but Ms. Parker only moaned and wrapped her arms even tighter around his body.  Frustrated, but couldn’t bear to awake her, he laid there, eventually closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep again.

Sydney yawned and walked into the room, he stood there, shocked, staring at the two.  Major Charles, Young Jarod, and Broots walked in, they too, stared at the sleeping couple.

Ms. Parker opened her eyes, yawned, looked up and into 3 staring faces, she jumped, that awoke Jarod, he opened his eyes and stared into her face, "What the hell?!" He shouted, backing away until hit his head hard against the wall. "What the hell are you still doing on my bed?" He shouted.

Ms. Parker turned crimson, she immediately got out of bed and tried to explain, "You have a nightmare last night and tried to get up, I tried to push you down but—Hold on, you said still, you knew that I was sleeping with my arms around you?"

Now it’s Jarod’s turn to turn red, "I woke up this morning, I tried to get up but you just tightened your arms so I couldn’t get out."

Major held his hands up, "Okay, let’s just forget about this incident and have some breakfast. Jarod do you—"

"My name is Michael," Jarod ground out.

Major’s eyes filled with pain but he said nothing and walked out the door.  Young Jarod looked at Jarod but soon followed his father out the door.  The rest followed him out the door while Jarod drew his legs to his chest, deep in thought.

****

Living Room
1400 Hours

"We’ve got to do something, time is running out." Major said, he got up and walked over to the couch and sat down.

"Maybe we should let him go," Broots said, all eyes turned and looked at him bewilderedly,

"What I mean is, is that if Jarod was to escape, he wouldn’t go far because we are basically in the middle of nowhere right now, and he forgot everything he did right?  He wouldn’t regain all his memory at least for the next few days so he wouldn’t remember his survival training until then which gives us at least a few days time to work on him.  That way he wouldn’t escape even if he wanted to." He replied.

"You’re brilliant!" Major cried, and all of them walked toward Jarod’s room.

*****

Jarod’s Room
1430 Hours

Jarod looked up as Ms. Parker, Young Jarod, Major Charles, Sydney and Broots walked into the room. He walked over and sat down on a chair, his eyes glittering with the same intensity as the first time he found out he was handcuffed by his father.

The Major took out the keys to Jarod’s handcuffs and took them off him.  "Guess what Jarod," he said, "You’re free to go."

Jarod looked at him, surprised, Ms. Parker said, "Well, we figured that you wouldn’t leave though, since you lost your memory and have absolutely no recollection of your training so you wouldn’t be able to escape." She said triumphing.

Jarod narrowed his eyes, "Well, I’m the pretender, and I always escape, isn’t that right Sydney?" He said slyly.  The complexions of the other people in the room paled.

"Please, Jarod," Young Jarod pleaded, "Stay."

Jarod looked at the faces of all the people in the room, does he want this he thought, then he looked at his brother…….HIS BROTHER! He thought, he had just thought of Jarod as his brother! Now he’s in too deep, but for once since he woke up at SL-30, he didn’t care.

"Yeah, Jarod," He said, "I’ll stay." for you he secretly thought. He glanced at Ms. Parker, and for you he thought, he caught himself and erased the thought from his mind.  He turned back to his brother, and smiled, his brother smiled back, along with the rest of the people in the room.

*****

Outdoors
1500 Hours

"Come on Jarod!" Young Jarod cried, waving at him ahead of the trial and gesture him to move faster.  Jarod raised an eyebrow, where are they going? He thought, he ran, catching up to his brother.  Sydney and Broots walking right behind them, smiling.

Jarod stopped running and looked up at the sky, it is so beautiful. He looked at everything around him and took in the fresh air.  He smiled, just as Sydney walked behind him and said, "It’s beautiful isn’t it?" Jarod gave him a glance, and looked away, no biting remarks, no shouting, nothing at all.  Sydney smiled.

Sydney was still smiling as Jarod walked away, Broots asked, "Why are you smiling Syd?"

"Because I still have a chance." Sydney replied, looking toward the sky.

"Come on Jarod!" Young Jarod took Jarod by the arm and walked him to the lake.  Jarod gasped, he had never seen anything so beautiful, the lake looked like it was shining due to the reflections of the sun, it’s perfect deep blue color was the color of………the woman’s eyes…….he shook his head, clearing the thought from his head.

"Look at this!  The lake is so deep!" Young Jarod cried, Jarod walked in to take a closer look but he suddenly slipped and fell into the lake.

"Jarod!!"
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 12 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XII
by Evanescent


Major Charles and Ms. Parker was walking along the trail when Sydney ran toward them and yelled, "Jarod fell into the lake!" without a second thought, the three was soon on a dead run toward the lake.

Jarod tried to gasp for air but only more water filled his lungs, I’m drowning he thought in dim awareness….

Major and Ms.Parker arrived at the scene, "What the hell happened?" Ms. Parker yelled

"Jarod fell into the lake!" Young Jarod cried, "He didn’t know how to swim, Broots and I couldn’t swim either so we couldn’t help him."

"What do you mean he doesn’t know how to swim?  Didn’t he learn it at the Y—damnit, Syd, your boy genius forgot everything he ever learned during those 3 years." Ms. Parker quickly looked over at the lake, and saw Jarod disappeared from the surface.

Major Charles jumped in first and quickly swam to where Jarod disappeared.  He dived in, and soon got Jarod, he put his right arm around Jarod’s neck and dragged him into shore.  Jarod gasped for air, coughing loudly as he crawled onto the surface.  Ms. Parker, Young Jarod, Broots, and Sydney ran to him, taking of their jackets to wrap around him.  Jarod saw the Major crawled out of the water, his face pale and lined with fatigue.  Sydney walked over to him and said, "Major, you’re burning up," he looked over to the others, "We need to get the both of them into the house as soon as we can."

****

Hunting Shack
1600 Hours

"Get ice from the refrigerator, towels from the bathroom and extra blankets from the closet." Sydney instructed, Ms. Parker and Broots nodded and walked away to get those supplies.  He put a hand on Jarod’s forehead, he was also burning up, Jarod flinched back, alarmed at the sudden touch.

Jarod looked over at Major, who was sleeping, his face was so pale, why he thought, why did he save me?  After all I have said to him, why did he save me? Why?

Sydney brought the ice pack, and brought it to Jarod’s forehead, Jarod shook his head, took the ice and brought it to Major’s forehead, the Major opened his eyes and was surprised at this change in Jarod, he’s coming back he thought happily and covered his hand over Jarod’s.  Jarod stared at his hand, this is too dangerous he thought, but right now the Major…….no, his father needed him, he couldn’t pull away from him now.  "Why?" He softly asked, "Why did you save me?" Ms. Parker and Broots came back, Sydney and Young Jarod motioned them not to talk as they look at the father and son.

"Because, you’re my son," Major simply said.

"But—"

"You’re my son.  No matter what I would always love you Jarod, that’s what dads are suppose to do," with a half smile.

Jarod looked up, he was about to tell him to call him Michael but for some reason the words didn’t feel right on his lips, not anymore….He smiled at the Major and covered his other hand with the Majors, all the people surrounding them gave each other grins, Jarod is coming back.

Young Jarod walked to the kitchen and took out the ice cream; he then grabbed 6 bowls and spoons, and walked back to the living room.  He handed it to the Major and said, "Here, have some ice cream, they’re very good."

Jarod happily opened the carton and was the first one to scoop out the ice cream, he was about to eat it himself but then he stopped.  Instead he shyly handed the bowl to the Major and said, "Here, Dad." Major beamed and took the bowl from him.

"Thank you, son." Broots, who was standing behind Sydney, put a hand on his shoulder, Sydney looked behind him and gave him a triumphant smile.  Ms. Parker gave a look at Jarod and for the first time she been here, she smiled at him. Jarod looked at her mesmerized, she is so beautiful…..her eyes…..it’s her!  She’s the mysterious woman that he saw in his memories, if only, he thought with sadness, looking away, if only she felt the same way…

*****

Hunting Shack
2000 Hours

Sydney took both their temperatures and exclaimed, "Both their fevers is gone!" Jarod and Major Charles gave each other a grin, Young Jarod happily said, "It’s because of the ice cream!  I knew something that good had to be good for you."

Everyone slept soundly that night.

*****

Hunting Shack
800 Hours

Major woke up, and happily got out of his bed.  After he brushed his teeth, he walked over to Jarod’s room, the smell of eggs filled the air, probably his younger son cooking at the stove again he thought, ever since he discovered his love for food he had been experimenting every morning from the cookbooks he bought. He opened the door of Jarod’s room, and found it empty.

He frantically searched around the room and ran into the living room, no sign of Jarod he thought frantically, he had left…. he opened the kitchen door, about to tell Young Jarod to wake everyone up when he saw Jarod. He was standing by the stove, reading the cookbook, with 6 omelets sizzling next to him on the stove.  Stunned, Major slowly walked in and sat at the table.  Jarod looked back at him, spatula in one hand and grinned, "Morning Dad," He said, and turned off the fire.  He scooped one of the omelets onto a plate and handed it to him with a fork.  "I’ve been reading these cook books to help me pass time while waiting for you guys to get up and decided to do a little cooking."

The Major picked up the fork and stabbed into the omelet, he took a bite out of it, "Son, this is delicious!" He cried and took another bite, and then another, Jarod beamed.  Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots walked into the kitchen rubbing their eyes, Jarod stopped smiling and glared at them, then walked out the kitchen.

"Just give him time, he’ll come around soon enough.  At the mean time, help yourself to one of the omelets." Major replied when the three began to look disappointed.

Young Jarod walked into the room, "Omelets!" He cried, "My favorites!" He quickly grabbed a plate and scooped one of the omelets from the pan, setting it on the table and began to devour it.

They all sat down and ate the omelets, all amazed at how good these omelets were as Jarod sat alone in his room, thinking.

****

Jarod’s Room
900 Hours

"Jarod," Major said, he opened the door and found his son deep in thought.  "You have to give Ms. Parker and the others a chance too son."

"Why?  Aren’t they the ones who were trying to catch me? The ones that tried to ruined my life on a daily basis?" Jarod growled, remembering what Mr. Raines told him about them.

"Yes son, but they were also the ones that loved you also, they are also prisoners too, they are free yet their not and might never will be," Major replied

"Why?"

"Because if they try to get away, the Centre would harm their loved ones.  That is why Sydney didn’t leave Jarod, because you’re still in danger.  Everyone has someone to protect son, someone they are willing to die for, what are you willing to protect son?"

"Family." Finally he understood the true meaning what the man had said to his family, and them, he thought silently.

"Just give them another chance Jarod, if you’re not doing it for them, do it for me. Can you do that son?"

"I’ll try Dad." Jarod replied.

"Good." Major said smiling and walked to the door, "Now let’s go get you your breakfast." And the two walked out the door and into the kitchen.
 
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 13 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XIII
by Evanescent



Jarod and Major Charles walked in as Sydney, Ms. Parker, and Broots were just finishing up with their meal.  Young Jarod was ready making his way to the refrigerator when Major said, "No, Jarod, too much ice cream will be bad for you."

"But Dad," Young Jarod protested.

"Jarod.." Major raised an eyebrow, Jarod looked on in amusement as he watched his brother grew quiet.

Young Jarod caught the amusing gleam in his brother’s eyes, he grabbed the washcloth and threw it at him, Jarod ducked, hitting his father instead. Major raised an eyebrow again, this time at both of them. He walked over to the pan, picked up the omelet, and gave them both an evil grin.

"Uh-oh" Young Jarod whispered to his brother, he quickly seat himself behind Sydney, hoping that his father wouldn’t hit him when Sydney is sitting in front of him. Sydney, Broots, and Ms. Parker looked on, the corners of their mouths twitching as they tried not to laugh.  Major threw the omelet at young Jarod, he tried to threw it over Sydney but it landed all over his face..

"Okay, Okay, that’s enough," Jarod said, he walked over to the sink, grabbed a washcloth and toss it over to Sydney, "Here, clean yourself up," smiling at him before breaking up in laughter when he got a glimpse of his face. Sydney was stunned, Jarod was actually smiling at him…at him! Jarod looked into his eyes, and knew that his father was right, Sydney is innocent, he wouldn’t have lied to him….he was wrong and for once in his life, he was happy about it.

******

The Centre
1000 Hours

"We need to get Jarod and the boy back." Raines said to Mr. Parker.

"I know Raines, have your pretenders get on it right away." Mr. Parker ordered, Raines nodded and walked out of his office.

Mr. Parker blew out the air he was holding and sat back in his chair, he could only hope that the his daughter or Major Charles would find out about this, or else they would all suffer…Jarod most of all..

*****

Outdoors
1100 Hours

Ms. Parker took in the sunlight, finally be able to relax, she looked up at the blue sky and then at Jarod. Young Jarod was teaching him how to fish, and Jarod seem to be learning fast, as always.

"Ms. Parker, do you think the Centre will find us?" Broots asked quietly, he was sitting next to her on the grass.  As much as he hate to destroy this perfect harmony, he had to let them know that this is not going to last.

Ms. Parker scowled at him, Broots always knew when to ruin the moment, "Eventually, you know my father, nothing stands in the way of what he wants," then with a voice filled with pain, "Even me."

Broots looked at her and sighed, looking toward the sky. "You know, I’m glad that Jarod got better," hoping that changing the subject to Jarod would brighten her mood.

Ms. Parker looked at him, "Why?" she asked

"Well, if Jarod were to really turn into Michael, no one could stop him, including Mr. Raines."

"I don’t care, it was the Major who took us here, and once Jarod is better, we’ll take him and the boy back to the Centre."

Broots looked away, smiling, he seriously doubts that.

Just then someone said, "Look out!" And a fish landed on Ms. Parker’s perfect skirt, she slowly looked up at Jarod, eyes filled with anger, but that quickly dissolved when she saw Jarod’s face. It was like the Young Jarod, free of anger, sadness, or loneliness, she found herself smiling back, he looks so beautiful…she caught herself, what’s happening to me?  She thought, quickly getting up and taking the fish by the end of its tail, she dropped it on the ground with disgust and threw an angry glare at Jarod before walking back to the house to wash the stain off.

Jarod was laughing as soon as he saw her disappear into the house, he stopped when a memory suddenly came flooding back….

(Flashback)
Security: We got your radio call Mr. Falzon. Is there a problem?
Jarod: Yes, there is. A couple of grifters trying a roulette scam. Call the LVPD and have takes hold of Sydney.)
Parker: Let go of me.
Jarod: You might want to strip search this one. She could be palming chips.
Parker: Oh you bastard.
Jarod: Just doing my job, Ma’m. Head of security, you know.
Parker: I will get you.
Jarod: You wanna bet. (He flips a coin up to her. She catches it in her free right hand and opens her hand to look at the result.) Tails.
(Ms. Parker looked at her coin, he was right.)

"Are you having another flashback Jarod?" Young Jarod asked.

"Yeah, I think so.  Come on, let’s catch up with Ms. Parker." Jarod replied, smiling. And the two raced each other toward the direction of the house.

*****

Hunting Shack
1200 Hours

Both Jarods burst through the door, gasping for air, "We’re evenly matched." Jarod said between gasps.  Sydney looked up from his computer and smiled, "Hello Jarods," He said.

They 2 Jarod’s looked at each other and cocked an eyebrow at one another, then they walked over to the kitchen and raid the ice cream before the Major could stop them.

*****

The Centre
1300 Hours

One of the pretenders, Jason, looked up at Mr. Raines from his computer and said, "Their living at the old Hunting Shack in Delaware--"

Mr. Raines said, "Good job Jason.  I know where." he withdrew his cellular phone from his suit pocket, "Willy," he rasped into the mouthpiece, "Get the car ready, we’re getting Jarod back."
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 

 

Chapter 14 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XIV
by Evanescent


Angelo watched as Mr. Raines and Jason walked out the door.  He quickly jumped down from the air vent and ran to his computer, he typed quickly, then moved his mouse and clicked.

***

Hunting Shack
1400 Hours

"Sydney, you should come and see this," Major said, typing on his computer, he just received e-mail. Sydney walked over and looked into the computer screen

(View of Computer screen)

Centre coming.

C.J

"We need to move. Get Jarod and the others."

****

Outside
1500 Hours

"Mr. Raines, we can’t find them." Willie said, walking out of the cabin.

Raine’s eyes blazed and he abruptly turned, walked toward his limousine, and got into it.  "They have escaped me again." He rasped as Willie shut the door for him.

As they drove away, Jarod and the others came out of their hiding place, breathing hard but were glad that they have escaped.

****

Holiday Inn
1800 Hours

"We can’t go on like this. The Centre will find us wherever we go." Jarod said, he was sitting on a chair in the bedroom, holding his chin with his left hand.

"My son’s right. We’ve got to think of something.." Major said.

"In the meantime, I’m going to take a shower." Ms. Parker replied as she walked to the bathroom and shut the door.

Jarod stood up and walked over to the bed and sat down.  How was he going to be able to protect them if he couldn’t even protect himself? He thought.  What is he doing?  He is figuring out ways to protect these people, those people that Raines told him to kill on sight…he couldn’t now, not if he wanted to, he had gotten too close.

"Jarod, Jarod? Are you okay son?" Major asked worriedly

"Yeah, I’m fine Dad." Jarod replied.  I need to get back to the Centre and stop this once and for all, He thought, I have to.

*****

Holiday Inn
2300 Hours

Jarod slowly got up from his bed and quietly got dressed, he walked over to Ms. Parker and pressed his hand against her cheek, she stirred but didn’t woke up.  Pain and longing filled his eyes as he bend down to her ear and whispered, "Don’t forget me Ms. Parker," He looked at the rest of the people of the room and then silently opened the door and disappeared as the door closed behind him.

Ms. Parker stirred in her sleep; she felt someone whispered in her ear but thought it was only a dream

****

Holiday Inn
700 Hours

Major Charles woke up to shouting and yelling, Young Jarod was shaking him, roughly.  "What the—" he asked confused.

"Jarod’s gone!" Young Jarod cried fearfully, "I couldn’t find him!"
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 15 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XV
by Evanescent


 
 

Jarod's gone!" Young Jarod cried fearfully, "I couldn't find him!"

Major jumped to his feet, "Get everyone up," he ordered, "Sydney, wake up. Jarod is missing,"

Sydney opened his eyes and got up, he was confused but soon understanding dawned on him, "Ms. Parker, Broots, get up!  Jarod is gone!" He yelled, The Centre, he thought fearfully.

****

The Centre
800 Hours

"Welcome back Michael." Raines rasped and slapped Jarod across the cheek.  Jarod smiled coldly and sat down on the chair.

Mr. Parker walked into Jarod's cell, and was startled to find Jarod sitting in his chair, "Michael came back on his own." Raines said triumphantly walking over to him.

Mr. Parker stared in surprise at Jarod, yet Jarod showed no emotion but there was something different in his eyes...impossible.  The Jarod he knew would never put himself in danger...unless to protect someone he loves, he must do something...and cleared his throat, "Good, now that we know that we could trust him, I granted him his freedom."

Raines looked at him in shock, Jarod who pretended to remain emotionless, was also surprised but he hid it well.  "Are you saying that we set him free?" Mr. Raines asked in a tight, controlled voice.

"Hell no.  You know me better than that, I mean in the Centre." Mr. Parker answered, "He will be free to move around in the Centre, of course if he tried to escape-"

"Did you forget what that he tried to kill you?" Mr. Raines rasped

"As far as I can tell Raines, you made Michael what he is today. So-"

"You think that I ordered him to kill you? -" Raine's temper flared.

"Or he may have absorbed your personality accidentally during a sim." Mr. Parker replied.  He saw Raines eyes dropped, the man hadn't anticipated that.

"Fine." Raines answered, he looked down at Jarod, who remained staring ahead, then walked out the door.

After he left, Mr. Parker turned to Jarod, "Jarod," he said, Jarod didn't turn his head, he knew that Mr. Parker was testing him.

"Michael." Mr. Parker almost smiled, the man knew he was testing him.

Michael turned to him with coldness in his eyes, Mr. Parker asked him with softness in his voice though he had tried to cover it up, "Is my daughter-okay?" He asked.

Jarod looked at this man in a whole new light, he must love Ms. Parker very much he thought, though Ms. Parker hadn't realized it.  He looked up at the man and almost smiled until he remembered that he was being watched, "Your daughter is fine." He answered without emotion.

Mr. Parker nodded and walked out the door.

In the air vent, Angelo held in his hand a camcorder and was pointing toward Jarod's room, recording everything they said.  He opened his computer and copied the tape into the computer (we see the computer screen, the cursor pointed to the button 'Send' and clicked).

***

Hunting Shack
900 Hours

"I'm going to the Centre." Major yelled and started walking toward the door.

Sydney stopped him, "Major, please! We have know for sure that Jarod is back at the Centre or else we will be putting ourselves in danger!"

"Syd's right," Ms. Parker said, "Jarod-"

"There's a e-mail on your computer Major." Broots interrupted, he was sitting at the desk with the computer turned on. He shrunk back, expecting Ms. Parker to glare at him but instead, she raised an eyebrow and walked over to the computer

Major ran over to his computer (we see the cursor moving to the picture of a mailbox with mail and clicked on it) After waiting for a few minutes, Major saw the footage of the conversation between Mr. Parker, Raines, and Jarod.  He sat back on the chair next to Broots, "Jarod went back to the Centre on his own," He whispered, hurt and pain shown in his eyes, Young Jarod walked over to his father and placed a comforting hand on him, sharing his pain.

"I don't understand," Sydney said softly, "I thought we were getting through to him." We've lost him he thought.

"Major," Ms. Parker whispered, "Is it possible that Jarod did this to protect us?" All the heads in the room snapped up and looked directly at her, "Last night...forget it.  I was probably dreaming yet it felt so so real..."

"Please Ms. Parker, I need you to remember..." Sydney pleaded

"Last night I thought Jarod whispered to me not to forget him, then I heard a door opened and closed..."she didn't added that he touched her cheek because she knew that she must have been dreaming, Jarod would never do that, at least to her.

The room fell silent, the Major was the first to speak, "If this is true...then Jarod just sacrificed himself to protect us." He whispered hoarsely.
 
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!


 

 

Chapter 16 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.
 
 

A Pretender Story
part XVI
by Evanescent



"I'm going back to the Centre." Major said, getting up, this time no one stopped him, instead they followed him out of the hotel.

****

The Centre
1000 Hours

Jarod crawled into the air vent, he had just caused all the surveillance cameras to malfunction, that should at least give him half an hour to find the family.

He crawled through the tunnels, suddenly a hand landed on his shoulder, he quickly look back and saw a man holding cracker jacks. His mind drifted into an unfamiliar memory.....

(Flashback)

Jarod: Who is it?
(No answer came from the door.  Jarod walked to the door and cautiously opened it a little, his eyes widened when he saw who it was and he opened the door all the way)
Jarod: Angelo! (Laughing the two men embraced one another)
Angelo: (Standing in the doorway) I got here as quick as I could.
(Jarod laughed with a shocked look on his face)
"Angelo?" Jarod asked cautiously. Angelo grinned and started crawling ahead of him, gesturing him to follow. Jarod quietly followed him until he saw the Petersons through one of the vent openings. "Thanks Angelo." He whispered and opened the air vent.  He jumped down, startling the family.

Mr. Peterson gathered his family behind him, though he was afraid of this man, he would not let him harm his family. "Mr. Peterson, I need to talk to you," Jarod said.

"About what?  You already got what you wanted, what else do you want?!" Mr. Peterson yelled, Danny grabbed his father pant leg and held tight.

"Look Mr. Peterson, the Centre is going to hold you and your family until they have no further use for you, after you are of no value to them, they will kill you and your family.  Now I could get you out of this alive, but you would have to trust me.  Can you do that?"

Peterson looked into Jarod's eyes, for the first time he saw compassion and for some reason pain in his eyes.  He slowly nodded.

"All right, now this is what I want you to do.." Jarod whispered.

After 15 minutes he climbed back into the air vent and back to his room.

****

Hunting Shack
1000 Hours

"Jarod, I want you to stay here." Major said softly

"No! I want to help him!" Young Jarod cried

"Jarod-" Sydney pleaded,

"Son, if you go, the Centre will definitely try to break you," Major yelled, he grabbed Young Jarod's shoulders and bend down to look directly at him, "Then we all would have something more to worry about than just trying to get Jarod out of there alive,"

Jarod reluctantly nodded, he knew his father was right. "I'm going to keep the computer here so you could find out more information about Jarod." He then got up and walked toward the door.

"Dad!" Young Jarod cried. Major turned back toward his son with sorrow in his eyes, "I love you."

"I love you too son." Major replied and walked out the door, Sydney, Broots, and Ms. Parker followed him. Suddenly the room felt very cold to Young Jarod.

****

The Centre
1100 Hours

"Daddy." Ms. Parker said. Mr. Parker jumped and turned around. Sydney, Broots, and a handcuffed Major opened the door and walked into his office.

"Angel!" He cried and wrapped his arms around her, "I'm so glad your back!  I even hired Raines to go after you." To get Jarod Ms. Parker thought painfully.

"Daddy.  I caught Major Charles." She replied pretending to be triumphant, her heart beating wildly inside.

"Good job Angel."  He walked over to his phone and after pressing a few numbers in, he pressed the speaker on "Willie. Take the Major to his cell." Willie immediately showed up and dragged the handcuffed Major out of the room.

"But the clone escaped us." Ms. Parker said, she quickly explained, "So I think in the mean time we shouldn't do anything to the Major so we could get information out of him."

"Your right honey. I'll make sure that he doesn't. We'll get the clone at a later time."

Mr. Parker looked over at his daughter, and slowly said, "Jarod came in on his own.  You already know that don't you?"

"Yes Daddy.  I have." She turned away, not allowing anyone to see her pain, Mr. Parker looked away, cringing inside.

"Let us see what our best pretender is doing." Mr. Parker said and opened the door for his daughter as they walked out toward the direction of Jarod's room.
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 
 

 

Chapter 17 by Evanescent
Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

Author's note: Before you read this I would suggest that Part 17 is going to be gruesome, and horrifying.  Please keep in mind that it is all an act, and this is just a story. Definitely includes violent content.
 
 


A Pretender Story
part XVII
by Evanescent




Major Charles's Cell
1200 Hours

Mr. Raines walked in and looked at the Major smugly, "Willie," turning to his sweeper, "Take him to the Sim lab."

Willie nodded and shoved the Major through the door toward the sim lab.

Ms. Parker and her father stopped them, "Just what in HELL are you doing Raines?  Going to conduct another one of your sick experiments?" She asked acidly.

"I'm going to show him what his son turned out to be." Raines answered, Ms. Parker didn't like the gleam in his eyes, Jarod, she thought.

"It just so happens that we are walking over to Jarod's cell right now," Mr. Parker said, his eyes turned hard, the last time Raines had that look in his eyes Kyle was transformed into a psychopath he thought. He glanced at his daughter and knew she was thinking the same thing. "Well, angel, let's go."

*****

Sim Lab
1230 Hours

Jarod sat staring straight ahead, out of the corner of his eye he saw Ms. Parker, Ms. Parker?! He thought, then following behind her, in handcuffs was Dad?!! He nearly blew his cover but remained looking expressionless though everything in him wanted to run out of the sim lab and embrace them both.  Ms. Parker would take care of him, he thought, she would never do anything to him, she would protect him.

"Michael." Mr. Raines commanded.  Jarod slowly raised his eyes to him coldly, Raines smiled triumphantly at the Major who stared at his son in shock.  This is Michael he thought fearfully yet he saw something else in his eyes...but what?!

"Michael, I need you to get some more information from Mr. Peterson, once we get all the information the Centre needs, kill him and his family." the Major and everyone else in the room threw a bewildered look at Raines, then at Jarod.

Jarod nodded and said, "Bring the family in."

Sydney and Broots walked into the Sim lab, once Sydney saw Mr. Raines, he growled "You told us to come here Raines.  What do you-" he stopped and stared at everyone in the room, then at Jarod.  Broots watched on as Jarod smiled coldly at the family and circled them as they huddled together, they are afraid of this man he thought, but then he was not surprised, Jarod forced the boy to put a gun to his head in front of his own father.

Smiling mockingly, he crouched down to the little boy, Danny.  "Hi Danny, do you want to play the same game we played last time?" He asked softly yet there was no warmth in his voice.  Danny shook his head violently, Jarod laughed, "Okay, then let's play another game.  Its called Simon says, do you know that game?" The little boy nodded, he twitched when Jarod ruffled his hair.  "Okay.  Simon says to touch your nose," The boy obeyed.

Sydney and Ms. Parker looked at each other then back at their pretender.  "Raines, what is Jarod doing?" Mr. Parker whispered to Raines, this is not the Jarod he knew from the cell, but the same hidden softness was still in his eyes.

"He's playing Simon says." Mr. Raines answered, even he was curious as to how his pretender is going to kill the Peterson family.

"Give me the gun," Jarod said turning his head, Willie withdrew his gun, he walked over and handed it him.  Jarod took the gun and gently placed the gun into the Danny's small hands "Now Simon says to-"

"No!  I'll talk!  Just don't...." Mr. Peterson cried, he broke down, sobbing uncontrollably.

Jarod took the gun away from the boy and moved toward the crying man, "You have another password for another deposit box didn't you Mr. Peterson?  Give us the code,"

"The password is friendship Michael, friendship." Peterson whispered.

"Good. Now let US play a game, Simon says to start praying if there is a heaven after you die.  Willie, get another sweeper and hold him down, we're done here."  Willie obeyed and motioned to the other sweeper.  The two men grabbed Mr. Peterson's arms as the man looked at Jarod, confused. Everything is going according to plan, Jarod thought, he fought the urge to glance at his father for he knew that they probably lost all faith in him now but he needed to do this, for their sake and for his.

Suddenly the alarm went off, Raines and the rest of the sweepers ran out of the room to fix the malfunction as Ms. Parker, her father, Sydney, Broots, and Major Charles looked around in confusion.  When no one was looking, he quickly took the blank bullets out from his pockets, took out the real bullets out of the gun, and tossed 4 packets of fake blood and 4 small pills toward the family.  They each took the fake blood and pill, putting the fake blood under their shirts and the pills under their tongues in their mouths.

"It's a false alarm." Raines said, walking back to the room.  Willie and the other sweeper again pulled Mr. Peterson away from his family, holding him tight.

"Where were we? Ah yes. Say good-bye to your son Mr. Peterson." Jarod aimed the gun toward the boy and fired.  Danny crumpled to the floor, blood, or the fake blood spreading over his heart.

A horrifying silence filled the room.  No one was unable to speak, Raines finally got the proof that he needed, Jarod is gone, he thought triumphantly. A tear rolled down Major's face, "oh god no!" and slumped against the wall.  Ms. Parker's and Sydney's eyes filled with tears, Broots only continued to stare at the man, Jarod is gone, they all thought as it echoed over and over in their minds.  Ms. Parker ran toward Jarod, but a sweeper grabbed her by the arm and refused to let her go, they closed off the sim lab, so they were all forced out except Mr. Raines and watched through the window of the sim lab outside.

Then the screaming started, Mr. Peterson screeched and like an animal, he tore at the two sweepers, trying to get himself free but they were too strong.  Danny's mother, screaming, ran to her little boy, gathering his limp body in her arms and rocking it back in forth, until she suddenly slumped over because Jarod put a bullet in her back.  Ms. Parker put a hand over her mouth and let her tears flow freely....Jarod, no......no Jarod she silently pleaded, no, not Jarod, this is not him... yet she knew that it was him standing before her, through the glass window.

Danny's sister ran toward her mother, but she stopped mid-stride with a bullet through her chest, collapsing to the floor.  Willie and the sweeper released Mr. Peterson, who ran to his family, screaming now, he then ran toward Jarod but was stopped with a bullet through the heart.  Blood splattered over Jarod's shirt, some got on his face but Jarod just laughed and looked over at the window.  The look in Ms. Parker's eyes nearly ripped his heart into shreds, but the sorrow and pain in both his father and Sydney's eyes nearly became his undoing.  I'm sorry, He thought. He quickly looked away, walked over to his chair and sat, staring ahead.

"Good job Michael." Mr. Raines slapped him across the cheek, and Jarod looked up at him, his eyes filled with hatred but he still nodded, smiling.

"Take their bodies to the morgue." Mr. Raines commanded. Willie obeyed, turning around to clean up.  Jarod walked out of the sim lab, and was meet with a fist to the jaw.  Jarod staggered back, but wasn't surprised, nor was he surprised when he saw it was his father who threw the punch.

"Jarod-" Major pleaded, no, this is not my son, this can't be...he thought desperately.

"Michael." Jarod replied, moving his hand toward his jaw.  I'm so sorry Dad but I have to do this.  He thought. Ms. Parker gaze at him, pleading, hoping that the man she knew, the man she........love? Would return

"Jarod!!" Sydney yelled, Jarod ignored him, and continued to walk on down the hall.

"Michael!" Major yelled. Jarod slowly turned back and look at him, "When you killed that family, you also killed my son, you will pay dearly for this." Something sparked in Jarod's eye, but Major still didn't know what it is...what is it?! Could it be that he-no, this is Michael now, he thought.  Jarod said nothing and continued to walk down the hall.  Ms. Parker stared tearfully after Jarod until he disappeared, then she turned back, and walked down the hall.  My love had died she thought.

*****

Marriott Hotel
1400 Hours

Mr. Peterson walked outside, breathing in the fresh air. When Willie took them to the morgue, an odd man who doesn't talk much with a box of cracker jacks appeared. He said he was a friend of Jarod and gestured them to follow him.  From then on, the man gave them money and showed them the way out of the Centre. He got to thank Jarod and that man for saving his life, but how?  In the mean time, he got a job working with the paramedics at a hospital near the Centre.  He already sends his wife and children off to his parent's house in Georgia but he needed to stay here, for some reason he knew that his friend would need all the help he could get.
 
 
 
 

Any Compliments or Criticisms

Thank you!!
 
 

Chapter 18 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (18 of ?) A Pretender Story (18 of ?) Written By: Archangel

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

The Centre

2300 Hours

The Major leaned his head against the wall of his cell, how could he have let this happen? He thought Jarod…oh god Jarod…….he bowed his head and cried until exhaustion took over and he slipped into a dream full of sadness and torture.


Ms. Parker’s House

2300 Hours

Ms. Parker laid on the couch with tears streaming down her eyes…they have lost him…they lost Jarod…the thought echoed over and over in her mind as she repeated the events that happened today in her head. She cleared her thoughts, this is what she wanted, Jarod is back at the Centre, Major Charles is in his cell…she is free. But How come she felt as if someone had stabbed her through the heart?


Broot’s House

2300 Hours

Broots sat on the kitchen chair…what are they going to do? Now that Jarod is Michael, there’s no telling what he is capable of…

“Daddy? Are you all right?” A voice asked, Broots jumped and turned his head, Debbie was in her pajamas, she was peering down at her dad, her eyes filled with worry.

“Yes, I’m fine sweetheart. Come here.” Broots replied and embraced his daughter, just thinking what would have happened if they were the ones that Raines wanted disposed of made him wrap his arms around her even tighter with fear. They stayed that way for a long time and fell asleep together on the kitchen floor.


Hunting Shack

2300 Hours

Young Jarod called from his computer, “This is Sydney.” Sydney said into the mouthpiece.

“Sydney!” Jarod cried, “What happened?” He never heard that defeated sound in his voice before. “Jarod…Michael…killed the family…Jarod’s dead…he’s gone Jarod…” Sydney whispered and then the line went dead.

Young Jarod stood staring at the computer screen in shock for a long time, then he quickly broke into the Centre database to find out what went wrong. What he found out caused him to feel more alone than ever before.


The Centre

2300 Hours

Sydney hung up the phone, he stared at the object for a long while before he collapse on his couch…Jarod is dead…then the memories of what Jarod did came flooding back…over and over the screams and cries of the Petersons before they died repeated themselves in his head…NO! His mind screamed, but he saw the it all before him…Jarod pulling the trigger…the women’s body crumpled upon the impact of the bullet…he closed his eyes and tears dropped like rain onto his cheeks.


The Centre

2300 Hours

Mr. Parker gazed into the family picture he had with his daughter…what he would give to be with her right now he thought but he couldn’t, if he exposed his soft side to Raines, Raines would definitely take the chance to destroy them both and he couldn't allow that. He wouldn’t. He thought he knew Jarod…knew how he thinks…the man that the Centre brought back was Jarod…but not anymore, Jarod is Michael now. The phone rang, Mr. Parker picked it up, it was from the Triumvirate…


Jarod’s Cell

2300 Hours

Jarod laid in his bed and stared up at the ceiling, the plan was a success he thought grimly, yet he felt no triumph from it. He turned over on his side, he wanted so much to just give up the pretend, to tell his family he is still Jarod but he knew he couldn’t give up now, too much was at stake. He would rather have everyone he loved hated him than to have everyone he loved dying in front of him.


The Centre

900 Hours

“Last night I have received a call from the Triumvirate. Another pretender escaped from the Centre without our knowledge. They demanded the assistance of Michael and yours to find him, then break him.” Mr. Parker announced.

Silence filled the room, Sydney just stood and stared toward the wall, Broots placed a hand on his friend's shoulder, Ms. Parker just made her normal stance, gazing coldly into her father’s eyes. Jarod nodded and said, “Yes Mr. Parker,”

“Here is his file.” Mr. Parker handed him the file, and as they made eye contact, he looked into his eyes, they held compassion…looking away, confused, Mr. Parker sat down on his armchair.

“Jason.” He read and quickly absorbed the file. It looks like the man admired him, Mr. Raines had him performed a sim on him yet instead of catching the real thing, he became Jarod.

“I will give you the next few days to find him.” Mr. Parker said before abruptly turn and leaving the room.

“Now let’s get started shall we?” Jarod asked, when no one replied or made a move, he smiled smugly and walked over to the desk “Still upset about yesterday?”

“You son of a bitch!” Ms. Parker hissed,

“Temper Temper Ms. Parker, we wouldn’t want you do have another ulcer.” Jarod said slyly. Ms. Parker whipped around and gave him a look of surprise. Ulcer? Jarod thought, I knew Ms. Parker had an ulcer?

“I don’t care what you’re going to do Michael, if you want to kill me, then get on with it.” Sydney snapped.

I have to think of something Jarod thought. “What was your son’s name again Dr. Green? Nelson? Nick? Ah, Nicolas.” My memories is coming back to me Jarod thought happily. Sydney’s eyes filled with fear and anger as he gaze at the man but he was right, the Centre always have ways of making him do things, first his wife, then Jarod, now his son.

“And do you have anything to add to this little game Broots?” Jarod asked.

“Umm….no.” Broots mumbled.

“Then let’s get started, shall we Ms. Parker?” Jarod walked over to the door and held it open for her.

“Go to hell!” Ms. Parker yelled, her eyes filled with rage as she walked through the door.

Chapter 19 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story XIX A Pretender Story XIX Written By: Evanescent

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

Jarod typed at a surprising speed, quickly absorbing every piece of information that would lead him to the escaped pretender. Ms. Parker, Sydney, and Broots only stood behind him and looked on in awe, though Jarod is Michael now, he is still the best pretender the Centre ever had. Jarod stopped typing suddenly, “I found out Jason’s location,” he replied, all heads turned toward him, it took us about 4 years to catch Jarod Ms. Parker thought, and now he caught another Pretender within a few minutes, unbelievable. “He’s in Toluca National Forest in North Central Oregon.“ Ms. Parker raised an eyebrow, Sydney and Broots gave each other a look. That’s where Jarod’s first love, Nia Pedron lives.

Raines came in, dragging his oxygen tank behind him, “The triumvirate has agreed to Mr. Parker’s proposal of temporary granting Jarod’s freedom for this case. He will go to Oregon.” More eyebrows were raised when he left.

Ms. Parker withdrew her cell phone from her jacket “Give me 5 tickets to North Central Oregon to Toluca National Forest,” She commanded into the mouthpiece. “We’re going to pay a little visit to your girlfriend Frankenstein.” My girlfriend Jarod thought bewilderedly, I have a girlfriend?

“My name is Michael.” Jarod said coldly, Ms. Parker turned her head and stared into his eyes for a minute, then look away.


Nia’s House

North Central Oregon

1200 Hours

“Thank you Nia.” Jason said, Nia smiles sadly, “I’m sorry to tell you the news about Jarod, but I needed your help, we need to get him back.”

“I will do whatever I can to help him,” Nia turned and handed Jason a cup of coffee,

“It’s my fault,” Jason cried, sitting on the couch, Nia put her hand on his shoulder, “I shouldn’t have told Mr. Raines where to find him, but—“

“Shhh,” Nia put her finger to her lips, “Raines threatened to kill your friend, you have no other choice.”

“But does that solve anything? Does it? He killed him in the end, he—“Jason broke down, sobbing, Nia wrapped her arms around his shoulders, comforting him.

“It’s okay…it’s okay…” Nia whispered, he is so innocent, she thought as she rocked him back and forth, just like what Jarod was…


Oregon

1500 Hours

Jarod knocked on the door, a woman answered it, “Jarod!” She cried and kissed him. He was shocked and frozen in place, who was this woman?! He thought but there was something…something special about her, then she pulled back and looked into his eyes, he felt as if he met her before…somewhere.

Ms. Parker stepped in between the two and held up a picture of Jason she got from the files, “Have you seen this man?”

“Yes, I have. He stopped here on his way over to Toluca National Forest and told me Jarod would be coming here, he doesn’t want to stay in my home though. He said he doesn’t like being in small rooms.” She said with a half-smile, gazing at Jarod. Ms. Parker looked away, that woman is all over Jarod she thought disgustedly and had an overwhelming urge to slap that woman across the face but she fought it down. Sydney and Broots both saw the jealousy burning in Ms. Parker’s eyes and exchanged looks.

Jarod continued to look at her as a memory flooded back into his mind…..


(Flashback)

Nia: Jarod!

(Nia shoots out a hand and Jarod quickly grabs it and bangs into the rock.)

Jarod: Ow!

(He pulls himself up the rest of the way and ends up on his side, face to face with Nia. Their eyes lock and relief, thanks and something else went through their minds)


“Nia.” Jarod whispered. Everyone turned their heads and stared at him, Nia smiled brilliantly at him and place her head on his shoulder. Ms. Parker turned her head so no one would see the hurt that flashed in her eyes.

“Do you know where’s the nearest hotel we could stay in for the night Ms. Pedron?” Sydney asked.

“The nearest one is about 100 miles. I don’t think it’s a good idea though, the hotel is not as good as it used to be. Just stay here tonight, you could find another hotel in the morning.” She replied smiling and gazing into Jarod’s face. Jarod looked back at her and smiled, Ms. Parker walked to the door, “Thanks for the…generous offer, but I would hate to spoil your…happy reunion with Jarod.” She said, nearly choking on her words, and quickly walked out the door to her car, Sydney and Broots ran to catch up with her.

When Nia heard the door shut behind her, she called, “Jason! You can come out now!” Jason walked into the room, and before Jarod could react, he pinned him to the ground.

“Jarod, you need to listen to me! Raines is going to kill your Father! Do you hear me? He’s going to kill your father and Mr. Parker! And he’s going to use me to do it so that’s why I escaped.” Jason yelled.

Jarod stopped struggling, “What?” He asked in a dangerously low voice, “Why should I believe you?”

“Because if you don’t, Raines will kill everyone you loved, including—“ Jason looked at Nia, she turned away, she knew who he’s going to say next, “Including Ms. Parker.”

Chapter 20 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story XX A Pretender Story XX Written By: Archangel

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

Outside Nia’s House

1505 Hours

“Ms. Parker!” Sydney cried, he caught up to her, and planted himself right in front of her

“What?!” Ms. Parker yelled, the hurt and anger that glittered in her eyes caused Sydney to grimace.

Suddenly they heard a yell coming from the house, Ms. Parker shoved Sydney out of the way and ran toward the source of the noise.


Nia’s House

1510

“Jarod, listen to me!” Jason yelled, he tried his best in pinning Jarod to the ground but he was too strong, he threw Jason off him and jumped up, furious. I have to keep on pretending Jarod thought frantically, he quickly ran to the door, opened it, and tumbled over Ms. Parker. He hit his head hard on the concrete floor, dazed, he held his head as every piece of his forgotten memory came flooding back…


(Flashback)

Young Jarod: Hi Mum. Hi Dad. I'm so happy to see you again. Hello mother. Father. It's very good to see again. (He turns to Sydney.) Sydney, I can't decide what to say and this tie isn't working.

Sydney: Jarod, just try and relax. (Sydney fixed young Jarod's tie.)

Young Jarod: Just please tell me what to say.

Sydney: Trust your feelings and you'll be fine.

(Flashback)

The Centre

Sim Lab

(Kenny, a janitor who befriended Jarod before his escape, was sitting with Jarod at a table. Jarod is teaching Kenny how to make an origami swan.)

Kenny: Oh Jarod I'll never be able to do this.

Jarod: Sure you can. We'll keep on practicing. (He pulled another sheet of paper…)

(Flashback)

(Jarod leans over the body of Kyle who is dying before his eyes.)

Jarod: Stay with me little brother. I'm going to get you to a hospital.

Kyle: It's too late, Jarod. AH! (Broots, Sydney and Miss Parker continue to stare at them.)

Jarod: Don't you say that. Look at me. Come on. Just . . . Just think. Think about of all the good times we're going to have together.

Kyle: I'm sorry Jarod.

Jarod: For what?

Kyle: For everything. (He blew out his last breath and went limp.)

Jarod: No. Oh no.

(He slowly let go of his brother’s hand and watched as Kyle’s hand fell limply over his chest.)


“Jarod are you all right? Jarod?” Sydney cried, he looked into Jarod’s eyes and saw Jarod, not Michael, Jarod, his Jarod.

“Sydney?” Jarod asked confused, the pain in his head increased and he collapsed, crumpling onto the floor

“Jarod!” Ms. Parker yelled, she turned and saw Jason

“Get him in the house!” Nia ordered quickly, she glanced over at Jason and was as surprised as the rest when he made his way over to the fallen body and picked Jarod up gently and carried him to the house.


Nia’s House

1700 Hours

Jarod opened his eyes and looked around at his surroundings, where am I? He thought, then realization hit him, he’s in Nia’s house, and soon the events that happened yesterday came flooding back to him. Everything Raines said to me was a lie, he realized, he tried to sit up but soon dizziness blurred his vision and a comforting hand pressed something wet onto his forehead and push his head back onto the bed. He looked up and saw it was Nia.

“Nia.” He whispered, she smiled softly and kept her hand on his head, pressing the towel on his forehead.

“Sh…you got a nasty bump on the head, just rest.” She said, running her other hand through his hair.

I need to keep on pretending, Jarod thought, he took Nia’s hand and remove it from his forehead, “Thank you for your hospitality Ms. Pedron—“ Nia’s eyes filled with hurt as Jason walked in. Nia quickly gave him a look, and Jason quickly knew that Jarod was still Michael.

“Jarod,” Jason pleaded, Jarod looked at him with cold glittering eyes, “You need to listen to me—“

“My name is Michael.” Jarod said slowly, dangerously. Jason sighed and walked out the door; Nia gave Jarod a pleading look but soon followed after Jason. As soon as the two walked out of the room and closed the door, Jarod blew out a sigh of relief and began to think up a plan to save his father, Mr. Parker and…Ms. Parker.


Living Room

Nia’s House

1730 Hours

“I couldn’t get through to Jarod,” Jason said,

“Don’t worry, give him time,” Nia said touching his shoulder,

“All right, Jason, it’s time to take you back to the Centre.” Ms. Parker said, pointing a gun at him, Jason turned around and look directly at her,

“Apparently Ms. Parker didn’t know—“Jason began

“Know what?” Ms. Parker snapped,

“That Raines is planning to kill Jarod’s father and yours once I’m captured and brought back to the Centre. Of course, now that I am considered a weak asset, he would probably use Michael to do his dirty job for him,”

“So Raines is going to order Jarod to kill Mr. Parker and his own father?” Sydney asked,

“Precisely.”

“And why the hell should we believe you?” Ms. Parker demanded.

“Because, the lives of your father and the Major is at stake,” Jason looked at her straight in the eyes, “Including yours.”

Chapter 21 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story XXI A Pretender Story XXI Written by: Evanescent/Archangel

The Centre

1800 Hours

“Get the jet ready,” Raines rasped, Willie nodded, “I don’t want anyone finding out about my plans.” He walked off, dragging his oxygen tank behind him with Willie trailing after him.

Angelo quickly jumped down from the vent to Raines office, he quickly looked around opened the computer, and after a few minutes he typed quickly moving his mouse, clicking.


Living Room

Nia’s House

1800 Hours

Jarod quietly leaned back from the door of his bedroom, after he heard everything Jason had said, he slowly made his way to his bed and rest his head against the pillows as the conversation continued on outside.

“So..so Jarod is going to kill Ms. Parker, Mr. Parker and his own father?” Broots asked nervously, “I mean…I don’t think…I don’t think the Jarod I know…that we all know—“

“The Jarod we all know is gone Broots, he’s Michael now. You seen what he did that family.” Ms. Parker snapped and quickly looked away so no one would see the pain that was radiating from her eyes.

“But Ms. Parker, Jarod called my name when he hit his head on the concrete, the Michael we know called me Dr. Green. Is there any remote chance that we can still get him back?” Sydney asked desperately.

“It’s possible,” Jason said, all eyes turn toward him. “I talked to Dr. Kosin, he was the man who performed the Alternation on Jarod but get this, he said he only gave Jarod 90% of the treatment, that is why Jarod was having flashbacks.”

“Now do you understand—“Sydney turned to Ms. Parker,

“I understand, that in order for all of us to stay alive, Jarod had to regain all his memory.” Ms. Parker still refused to

“He may already have,” Jason said, looking toward the room where Jarod was sleeping, “Michael is suppose to be cold, emotionless psychopath like Raines designed. With all these emotions flooding into his mind, he’s probably trying to block it off in his mind.”

“Syd—Dr. Green.” A voice behind them whispered, everyone turned and saw Jarod standing in the doorway of his bedroom, he still held the same compassion in his eyes, the blow to his head, Sydney thought, it must have triggered something in his mind. He and Jason exchanged glances, both of them knew that Jason was right

“Jarod—“Sydney began,

“Michael,” Jarod said through clenched teeth,

“Damnit Jarod, snap out of it! I know you’re still in there. Stopping pushing yourself and listen to me!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about! My name is Michael,” How did they find out? He thought, no, he must keep on pretending but even that was becoming a harder challenge for him when Sydney and the others already knew the truth.

“Jarod,” Ms. Parker began, she look hard at him and knew that Jason was right. Something is happening in Jarod, it was as if his eyes told her that he still the man she…cared about, yet his actions told her that this is Michael she’s dealing with now, what he did to that family….

“My name is Michael!” Jarod ground out, the pain from his head increased and he pitched forward, Sydney quickly caught Jarod around the arms before he fall. Jarod quickly jumped up and shoved Sydney as hard as he can.

Ms. Parker quickly grabbed Jarod by the shoulders and forced him to look at her. “Damn you Jarod! Listen to me!” She yelled furiously.

“Jarod.” Nia whispered, Jarod looked at her, “Who are you protecting?” She asked softly.

“I’m NOT protecting anyone!” Jarod shouted, he quickly walked toward the door and began to reach for the door handle when Ms. Parker’s hand covered the door handle first and kept it closed.

Sydney painstakingly walked toward Jarod, he gently laid his hand on his shoulder, and watched sadly as Jarod tensed from his touch, “It’s all right Jarod.” He said encouragingly.

Jarod whirled around to face him, “Do you think I want this Sydney? Do you know what would have happened if I didn’t leave that night? Raines will find us sooner or later and when that happens, both my father and Jarod will be at the mercy of the Centre. Plus your lives will be in danger as well if Raines finds out you had any part in helping my father and my brother in bringing me back.” He yelled, his eyes filled with pain. Finally, he thought, the truth had set me free.

“So you sacrificed yourself to save us all.” Broots said quietly, his fondness and admiration for Jarod grew.

Ms. Parker’s eyes slowly filled with tears, Jarod is back she thought happily, this time for good but something was still bothering her, “But what about the Petersons?” She asked “Do you actually believe that I would have pulled the trigger Ms. Parker?” Jarod asked and raised an eyebrow, amused. “Let’s just say they’ll be washing tomato sauce off their clothes for a while.”

“But Willie—“

“I had each member of the family swallow a pill, it gives them a death like appearance. The plan worked out, Willie had taken my word for it and took their “bodies” to the morgue so a friend of mine at the Centre helped them escape.”

“And why hadn’t you told us?!” Ms. Parker’s temper began rising

“Aw Ms. Parker, then it wouldn’t be any fun, plus I needed this to look real, can’t have Mr. Broots laughing when the family spread tomato sauce all over themselves and on the floor when they’re pretending to be dying from a blank.” Jarod concluded looking over at Broots, Broots looked down sheepishly.

Jarod looked over at Ms. Parker and gave her a smile, suddenly, she wasn’t angry with him anymore…it was as if it evaporated the moment he smiled…at her. Nia turned away, Jason looked at Jarod, this is one of the only times that he was ever envious of the top Pretender, to have one woman when the other woman he himself loved still pinning for the boy wonder.

“I …I better…uh…go check my computer for me-messages.” Broots stuttered and quickly ran out of the room and to the car. He ran back, holding a laptop computer and a set of phone wires. He turned the computer on, after waiting for a few minutes he borrowed Nia’s phone and connected onto the Internet using his phone wires he clicked onto the icon “Mailbox” and read the message rapidly. “Sydney…you better see this…” Broots said worriedly, “Raines is coming.”

Chapter 22 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story XXII A Pretender Story XXII Written by: Evanescent/Archangel

“Raines is coming,” Broots said, everyone fell silent

“Broots, did the message say anything about the time Raines left?” Jarod asked urgently,

“Um…yeah…6pm.”

“All right, that would give us at least 6 hours to plan this out,” Jarod replied, gesturing everyone to come closer.

Nia’s House

2400 Hours

A knock came at the door, a women went to answer it and opened the door. Mr. Raines stood in front of the doorway, holding up a picture of Jason, “Ms. Pedron, have you seen Jason?” He asked

“Oh, you mean the escaped convict? You know, if it weren’t for Jarod, I wouldn’t have known that I let that man into the house!” Nia said beaming

“Where is he?”

“Oh, Jarod had him tied up on a chair in the living room, they’re in there right now. Come in, I’ll show you the way.” Turning on her heels, she gestured them to follow as they walked into the living room.

Raines saw Jason was tied in the chair, handcuffed. His eyes were wild and full of rage as he violently struggled to free himself, Jarod turned and locked eyes with Raines, he gave a curt nod and after untying Jason, he shoved the man out of the living room and toward the car. Raines was impressed, he had finally created the perfect pretender he thought victoriously. Ms. Parker stood in her normal stance, and followed after Jarod, with Sydney and Broots trailing closely after her.

Mr. Raines nodded to Nia who smiled at him brightly and closed the door behind them as they leave. She rest her back against the door for a minute, it’s all up to you Jarod, she thought, please keep Jason save…she caught herself, Jason? Shaking her head, she walked back to the living room and sat on the couch, confused of the new feelings that was spreading through her heart. The Centre 600 Hours

“Welcome back Jas—“ Raines stopped mid-sentence when a blow to the back of his head knocked him unconscious. Willie quickly drew out his gun but Jarod aimed his gun at him.

“Hands behind your head,” Ms. Parker snapped, Willie simply looked at her, hatred burning in his eyes, “NOW!” she took out a pair of handcuffs. “Ok Jarod, I’ve done what you told me. Now what?”

“We’re going to rescue my father.” Jarod answered.

Chapter 23 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (23 of ?) A Pretender Story (23 of ?) Written By: Evanescent/Archangel

“Hold on Jarod. Just how the hell are we going to do that?” Ms. Parker asked after she hit Willie over the head with the end of her gun, he dropped to the floor.

“Just leave it up to me—“ Jarod began

“And what about my father? He’s not going to be happy when he finds out about this,”

“Look Parker, there’s a whole lot more at stake than pleasing your father. Besides, he wouldn’t know a thing until after I get my father out.”

“Okay, whatever you do, I’m out, I can’t have my father finding out I have anything to do with this.” And with that she walked off, swearing to herself that she would have no part of rescuing the lab rat’s father.

“Sydney, Broots, you should go with her,” Jarod said quietly, stung by Ms. Parker’s words but why should he be surprised? That’s how she had been for the past 30 years.

“But Jarod—“ Sydney protested

“We can’t let anyone become suspicious of us. Now go.” Broots silently nodded and giving Sydney a look, he and Sydney followed Ms. Parker

“All right Jason, we got work to do,” Jarod whispered. “After we take care of those two.” Looking over at Raines and Willie.


Major Charles’s Cell

700 Hours

The Major sat on his bed, his head resting against the walls, the sweepers had interrogated him for the past six hours to find out the location of his other son but he refused to give them the information. He touched his bruised cheek, damn it, he got to find a way out. A sound came through the air vent, the Major watched in shock as the video camera went off and his son jumped down from the air vent. “Jarod!” He cried

“It’s time to get you out of here dad,” Jarod said walking toward him

The Major jumped back, “Hold on a minute, how do I know this is not some Centre trick? I saw you shoot that family! There was blood everywhere…” he swallowed hard, remembering the events that happened the last few days

“It’s called tomato paste dad, I’ll explain it to you later. Now is not the time.” The Major walked over to the air vent and climbed in, Jarod followed.


Blue Cove

Abandoned Warehouse

800 Hours

Raines woke up to utter darkness, anger surged through him and he bolted up from the cold ground, only to hit into something hard.

“Mr. Raines?” Willie asked,

“Get me out of here Willie.” Raines snapped

“Right away Mr. Raines.” Willie felt a doorknob next to him and opened it, they walked out and looked at their surroundings, it was as if they were in a rat cage on a larger scale. Raines picked up a message written on one of the cheeses, it said “Lab Rats” with that, he scowled and sat down.

Willie searched for his cell phone, he found it and withdrew it from his jacket, Raines snatched the phone from him and after dialing he said to the mouthpiece, “Jarod is back, he’s helping his father escape. Get us out and get him.”


The Centre

800 Hours

“I’m on it,” Lyle answered, he then picked up the phone and punched in a series of numbers. “Get a sweeper team and get Raines out of there, he had a tracer in his cellular phone so you’ll know where to find him and get another sweeper team over here, Jarod had escaped again.” Smiling, he walked out the door.


Air Vent

900 Hours

We need to get tell Ms. Parker and the others that we’re all right,” Jason told his friend,

Jarod glared at him, “No we don’t, besides, Ms. Parker doesn’t care remember? She said she wants no part of this,” he snapped Pain flashed in his eyes and from that instant, Jason knew that his friend had fallen in love with her. Smiling, he shook his head. “Why are you laughing? This isn’t funny.”

All three jumped when they heard the sound of the alarm going off, “All right, now we really need escape.” The Major said as the three men started crawling as fast as they could


Ms. Parker’s Office

900 Hours

“Ms. Parker we need—“ Sydney was interrupted when the screeching sound of the alarms echoed through the hallway.

“Damn it, It’s always the smart ones that do something stupid.” Ms. Parker snapped, with a curse Ms. Parker got up from her chair and ran out the door, Broots and Sydney following close behind.

Ms. Parker stopped suddenly when a gun was pushed to her head, Mr. Raines stepped out of the shadows smirking, “You’re not going to get away from this Raines, my father—“ She snarled

“Our father, wouldn’t be able to help you out of this one Sis,” Lyle came behind Raines grinning slyly “Apparently it seems that you have been helping the wrong people in the pursuit of Jarod, we can’t have that at the Centre now can we Raines?”


Air Vent

1000 Hours

Jarod was crawling as fast as he could until something grabbed his attention, peering through the vent he saw Mr. Raines holding a gun to Ms. Parker’s head, without a word he kicked the opening and jumped down, landing on the man with the gun.

“JAROD!”

Chapter 24 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (24 of ?) A Pretender Story (24 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Author’s Note: Possible character death(s), of course for those who want this to end happily ever after, it might not be possible in this case…only time will tell.

The Centre

1000 Hours

“JAROD!” Lyle cried in surprise, Raines fell unconscious as Jarod landed on him.

“Nice to see you again Lyle,” Jarod snarled pulling out his gun and aimed it toward him

“Now Jarod, let me explain—“

“That you’re trying to kill you sister? Or the fact that you betrayed your father?”

“Jarod,” Lyle gave a nervous laugh, “We could do great things together—“

“Mr. Lyle, I will never destroy my own family like you did yours, why would I even consider joining you?”

“I didn’t destroy—“

“Jarod!” Jason called from the air vent, then he and the Major jumped down from the vent

“Come on son, we got to get out of here before the sweepers come after us,” the Major said urgently. Jarod nodded and after he knocked Lyle out with a blow at the end of his gun, he stepped over Raines and ran, his father, Jason, and Ms. Parker following after him.

Mr. Parker appeared, without a word he stood shocked to find everyone there, he quickly recovered when he saw Mr. Raines slowly got up and withdrew his gun, “Angel, start running, run down that hallway and don’t look back.” He demanded, walking up next to Jarod and looked at him, silently pleading him to take care of his daughter. Jarod nodded.

Everyone turned around and watched Raines pulled the safety back from his gun, “You’re not going to get in my way this time Mr. Parker. It’s time to join your wife.” He pulled the trigger

“No!” Jarod cried, everything happened in slow motion, all he knew is he that he had to save Mr. Parker, he pushed the man out of the way and cried out in pain as the bullet hit his chest. Ms. Parker screamed as Jarod crumpled to the floor and blood seeping from his chest.

The Major ran toward his son and kneeled down, “Jarod, son, please, speak to me!” Jason shot a look of pure fury at Raines, he withdrew a gun he secretly held in his own jacket and fired two shots at him, the man fell to the ground, one bullet in his head, another in his heart.

Jarod slowly opened his eyes and tried to get up, he fell back in pain, “Dad…”he whispered

Sydney ran over and bend down at Jarod’s side, “Jarod, please, don’t try to get up, you need to preserve your strength. You’re wound isn’t severe, we just need to get you to the hospital.” He lied, though his eyes gave him away.

Jarod smiled softly, “Don’t lie to me Sydney, I’m a doctor and I know I’m dying…” Ms. Parker’s eyes her eyes were filled with tears as her father stood in shock and continued to stare at him. The Major quickly took his jacket off and pressed it to Jarod’s chest in hopes to stop the bleeding. His son moaned in pain, “Dad, it’s no use…please, listen to what I’m saying, tell Mom…and Emily…about me…” His left hand gripped his chest as he fought hard to control the pain that was blurring his vision, he slowly closed his eyes.

“No! Jarod, don’t close your eyes, look at me, do you understand me?! Look at me!” Major yelled desperately

“Quickly, keep him talking, we need him awake. Willie, go get help now.” Sydney cried

“I take orders from Mr. Raines,” He said coldly

Mr. Parker looked at him, his eyes filled with hatred, “Raines is dead, you listen to me now, if you disobey, take it up with the triumvirate.”

“Yes Mr. Parker.” Willie nodded and ran down the hallway

“It’s too late…” Jarod trailed off, losing strength…

The Major shook his head, “No, Jarod, you have to believe that you’re going to live do you here me?” He said, a tear rolled down his eyes, he quickly brushed it away. Jarod smiled and closed his eyes

“Quickly! He’s losing consciousness, ask him a question.

Ms. Parker walked over and sank down onto her knees next to him, “Jarod,” she whispered, “Why did you save my father?”

Jarod opened his eyes and turn his head to look at her, “Because I had to,” He replied faintly

“Why? My father had kidnapped you from your family, trapped you here in this hell for 30 years, and ruined your life and those you loved. Why Jarod? Why do you still protect him?”

“Because I know what it’s like to lose someone you love Ms. Parker, I don’t want you to go through that…” Mr. Parker stood and continued to stare but something in his eyes flickered

“Why Jarod? Why did you do this?”

“Because…because I love you Ms. Parker.” Mr. Parker briefly closed his eyes, and the truth shall set you free he thought with sadness, remembering Catherine’s quote. Sydney and Broots looked at each other in shock

“What? Jarod, why didn’t you tell me?” Ms. Parker stared at him in amazement, Jarod loved her! She thought

Jarod laughed weakly, “If I had a chance I would’ve never told you…I knew you’ll never feel the same way and I thought…with time apart…maybe I’ll be able to forget about you but I couldn’t, and I don’t want to. I love you Ms. Parker, I always have and I’ll always will…”

“Jarod, I—“She stopped abruptly when she saw Jarod began trembling, wrapping his arms around himself to keep himself warm, “Jarod? Jarod?! Hold on please!” She cried frantically, “Please Jarod, hold on, for me, can you do that?” She looked at the Major in panic as he tried desperately to stop the bleeding but was failing as his son’s blood covered his hands. Sydney watched helplessly as Jarod continued to shiver, knowing that he’s coldness he’s feeling is due to the loss of blood. He locked eyes with the Jarod and they both knew that he’s losing the battle. Jarod tried to keep awake and kept his eyes open but he was so…so tired…

The Major took off his sweater off and wrapped it around his son, “Here you go son,” he said quickly, “Just hang on okay, just hang on.”

“Sydney,” Jarod whispered

“Yes Jarod?” Sydney replied, a tear splashed onto his cheek and made its way down his face,

“Take care…take care of Ms. Parker for me…”

“I will Jarod.”

“Damn it wonder boy! Just hang on, you’re not going anywhere!” Ms. Parker cried angrily, Jarod gazed at her, she looked so beautiful…

“Dad?” He asked, turning his head to look at his father,

“Yes son?” Major replied, fighting hard to keep the tears from falling down his cheeks

“Dad…when you find mom…please tell her…about me…” He gasped, he tightened his fist on his chest in attempt to stop the pain, “…tell her that I love her…and that I’m sorry that I…I wasn’t able to see her one last time.“ Mr. Parker stood by, silently hoping that the pretender would make it but deep down he knew Jarod was slipping away.

Broots stood behind Sydney, feeling helpless, that he was unable to help this man who helped him so much these couple of years. Jarod doesn’t deserve to die like this, he thought, he deserved a happy ending more than anyone else did in this room. Oh God, why does he have to die like this? He had done so much good, have so much compassion and love for humanity…why does he have to end up like this?

“Don’t say anything son, you need to save your strength,” Major said tearfully,

“Tell Emily that…I’m sorry…even though I would never be able to meet her…I already love her as if I know her already…” He gasped again, clutching his chest.

“No, Jarod, don’t die please…” Ms. Parker pleaded, tears spilling over her cheeks. Jarod smiled at her, the pain in his chest lessening.

With the remainder of his strength he pulled out all the pictures he kept of his family in his pocket, “Dad…I always kept……these pictures with me where…wherever I go……always brought me hope……now they’re yours Dad…keep them……close to your heart…like I have…” he said softly

Major Charles took the pictures with both his hands and looked at his son with love in his eyes, “Thank you Jarod,” He whispered and turns to put it in his left pocket. He felt a feather-like touch against his cheek, and when he turned his head toward Jarod, his son looked into his eyes with such love, pain and sadness that tears started flowing again. Jarod’s hand fell to the floor, the pain in his chest is gone he thought with wonder as he smiled and closed his eyes, his head fell limply to one side. “Jarod? Son? God Jarod wake up!” the Major cried,

Sydney reached down and with shaky fingers he checked Jarod’s pulse, there was none. He looked up as tears broke free from his eyes and fell to the ground. “I’m sorry Major, Jarod’s gone,” he said hoarsely

“No, Jarod….please,” Ms. Parker pleaded, shaking him gently, “Please come back, please…………I love you.” Tears ran down her cheeks as she rest her head on his stomach and cried. Mr. Parker sat down hard on the chair next to him, unable to stand. The man whose life he ruined, whose family he destroyed had came back and protect him with his life in the end, now he’s gone, because of him.

Silence filled the room, everyone was consumed by their grief for Jarod, after a few minutes Willie arrived, “The paramedics is here Mr. Parker.” Willie said.

“It’s too late, Jarod is dead.” Mr. Parker replied, looking up with pain in his eyes.

The paramedic ran to the fallen pretender, checking his pulse, finding none he asked rapidly, “How long did his heart stopped?”

“About a few minutes.” Sydney answered, looking away

The paramedic motioned his team to help him, he took out the paddles, “Everyone get away!” He yelled, he looked up into Sydney’s confused expression, “Maybe there’s still a chance to start his heart again, it’s a stretch but I don’t want to lose him. Now move!” Everyone stepped away from the body as he shocked Jarod’s body with the paddles. Jarod’s body jerked but he remained flat-lined, the man did it again, still no response.

“He’s already gone.” Sydney said sadly, The paramedic looked up, revealing his face beneath his hat, “Mr. Peterson,” Sydney whispered.

“Clear!...We’ve got a pulse!” Mr. Peterson cried with relief, “Jarod was the one who got my family out of here alive, if he dies now, I’ll never be able to repay my debt to him,” looking at the other paramedics, “We need to get him to the hospital STAT!”


St. Marie Hospital

1600 Hours

The surgeon walked out of the hospital, concern and sorrow lined his forehead, everyone got up from the chair and gathered around him, “I’m sorry, I’ve tried my best but I’m afraid Jarod suffered a fate worse then death.”

“What do you mean?” Sydney whispered

“Of the minutes his heart stopped beating, he wasn’t able to breathe which stopped the flow of oxygen to his brain…”

“What are you trying to tell us doctor?” Ms. Parker asked

“That he will remain in this comatose state for the rest of his life, of course there’s always the possibility that he could wake up from this state but it’s highly unlikely.”

Chapter 25 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (25 of ?) A Pretender Story (25 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Ms. Parker gripped her father’s hand as her legs collapsed under her. Mr. Parker quickly held her daughter to him though he himself wanted to collapse himself, he sat down with her holding her tightly for fear of she’ll fall apart once he let go. Sydney’s eyes filled with tears and he leaned against the wall, the hope in both Broot’s and Mr. Peterson’s eyes died, I couldn’t save him, Mr. Peterson thought sorrowfully.

“Can we…can we see him?” Sydney asked hoarsely

“Yes, he’s in room 687, just down the hallway.” The surgeon then walked down the hallway and disappeared around the corner. Ms. Parker slowly got up and moved away from her father’s embrace, she slowly walked down the hallway with tears running down her cheeks she stopped in front of Jarod’s room. She turned the doorknob and opened the door hesitating before she goes in. The room was so quiet, the sound of the respirator humming and plastic IV bags hung dripping nutrients necessary for him to live. She looked down at the sleeping form, his long eyelashes rested on his cheeks, and an oxygen mask covered his nose and mouth was the only thing that convinced her that he was still alive. Choking on her tears, she sat down on a chair next to his bed and put her hand over his limp one, hoping for a reaction, anything that told her he was there yet there was none.

Mr. Parker walked slowly into the room with the rest, the lost look his daughter gave him when he looked at her told him everything, that she loved this man as much as he loved her. He put a hand on her shoulder, offering comfort but he knew she hadn’t noticed, how could she paid attention to anything when her love is never going to wake up?

Sydney walked over to the other side of the bed and gently brushed his hand on his pretender’s cheek. He looked like he was merely sleeping, like he would soon opened his eyes and give him a grin like he always had while he was at the Centre, though it was an empty smile, at least he was alive then. Broots stood near the door but he kept his eyes on the pretender, he never thought this would be the end, it couldn’t be he thought, he doesn’t deserve it, no one does.

Jason leaned against the wall, he must call Nia, he thought, he needed her, it wasn’t suppose to end like this, he thought, we were all going to escape from the Centre and disappear. Of course Jarod would take Ms. Parker, Broots and Sydney with him but we were all going to disappear, they would never be able to find us, it wasn’t suppose to end like this. He walked out of the room and toward the direction of the pay phone.

The Major stood like a statue, watching his son, everything seemed like a haze to him, he wasn’t aware of the ringing of his cell phone on his coat pocket and continued to stare off into nothingness. The cell phone rang three times, then it stopped, after a few minutes it rang again.


Hunting Shack

1800 Hours

Young Jarod looked at the phone, something happened or else dad would’ve picked up the phone by now he thought, grabbing the DSA player and the cell phone, he ran out the door.


Blue Cove

1900 Hours

“Mom! Dad’s not responding!” Emily cried, she threw a worried look at her mother

“That’s strange, your father always picked up the phone. Something’s wrong. Emily, could you figure out where he is? Check the hospitals just in case.” Margaret said, wringing her hands pacing back and forth. Even though they had lost each other, they tried to stay in contact, her husband always kept his cellular phone with him in case of emergency, she thought what happened?

Emily nodded, she logged onto the Internet, after a few minutes she whispered in shock, “Mom…come see this.”

Margaret walked over to the computer screen and read it, she let out a cry, “Jarod!” and rushed out the door with Emily running after her.

(We see the computer screen)

St. Marie’s Hospital

Room 687

Comatose Patient: Jarod Wright

Chapter 26 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (26 of ?) A Pretender Story (26 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

St. Marie’s Hospital

2000 Hours

The room was quiet, no one spoke nor tired to because there was no reason to, each one knew what the other was thinking without asking, each were thinking of the sleeping patient lying on the bed. The door suddenly flew open and young Jarod slowly walked into the room

The Major looked up, “Jarod,” he whispered mournfully to the young man

“Dad, what happened to Jarod?” Young Jarod asked, his voice cracking as he looked down at his brother

“Jarod…in order to protect Mr. Parker, sacrificed himself and got shot by Raines, the doctor…the doctor said he’ll stay this way for the rest of his life…oh god,” He cried, covering his face in his hands as the tears started flowing again

Jarod stood where he was as his eyes filled with tears…so it was true, his brother was going to stay comatose for life. He walked over to the edge of the bed, gazing at his brother, this was the man that gave him his freedom, a family, and all the love a boy could ever experience, yet he never asked for anything in return. Now he’s gone, into a world in which he would never wake up…

The door opened softly, everyone turned their heads as a woman with flowing fiery hair stepped into the room quietly, her hand pressed against her mouth to prevent her from sobbing out loud,

“Margaret,” the Major whispered to the woman.

She saw the patient on the bed and would’ve broken down if it weren’t for her daughter holding her by the shoulders, supporting her. Emily silently grabbed a chair and set it by Jarod’s bedside as her mother slowly sat down, she looked at her father with sorrow in her eyes, words were not needed between them, the look in their eyes had said more than any words would. “Jarod,” Margaret whispered, “My baby boy, my baby boy!” Tears rolled down her cheeks and fell onto the bed sheets, she lifted her hand and gently stroked his face

Emily gestured her father to walk outside with her, he nodded and walked out of the room with her. “Dad,” Emily said softly once they’re, “How did this happen?”

The Major sigh and stepped closer to his daughter, Emily’s worried expression turned to horror and sorrow as he explained what happened to her brother the past week.

Chapter 27 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (27 of ?) A Pretender Story (27 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

St. Marie’s Hospital

2100 Hours

Jason stood by the phone with the receiver pressed against his ear, “Nia,” he said hoarsely, “It’s all my fault…I shouldn’t have told Raines the location of Jarod and the others, if I didn’t this wouldn’t have happened.” He listened for a few minutes, “But it was my fault this happened, if I knew this was going to happen I would’ve prevented it—“ He listened, “I know, I couldn’t have known, but—“ He stopped responding, lost in thought, “No, I’m still here, but if I couldn’t have prevented what happened, I could prevent this from ever happening to someone else!” He sigh as he heard what the other end of the line just said. “I just want to tell you Nia,” he whispered, “That if anything happened to me, I want to say I love you.” He hung up the phone and walked down the hallway to Jarod’s room, he opened the door slightly to not disturb the family as they sat by his side, his mother and Ms. Parker holding his hands, then closed the door. He walked down the hall toward the sliding glass doors and didn’t look back.


Nia’s House

North Central Oregon

2100 Hours

“No wait! Jason! Listen to me!” Nia cried but the phone went dead. She dropped the phone and went to her bedroom to pack a few things and her passport, this could not be happening, she thought, Jarod’s comatose for life, Raines is dead and now Jason loved her! She thought in awe, but before she could confess her true feelings for him he hung up on her. I need to get there, she thought hurriedly, before Jason does anything, if he’s going to die, then I’m going to die with him, for Jarod.


The Centre

2200 Hours

Lyle changed into his new suit and looked in the mirror, smiling, he walked to his father’s office and sat down on his armchair, feeling the leather and the feeling of power it gave him. Now that Jarod is out of the way, he thought happily, the triumvirate would probably drag his father away and ‘re-educate him’, the Centre would be his since he is the next in line.

The phone rang, Lyle picked it up, “This is Lyle,” he said

“Hello Mr. Lyle, I’m giving you five minutes to start running for your life,” Jason said from the other end.

“What are you talking about?”

“Well, you don’t think you could get away after what you did to Jarod did you?”

“I didn’t—“

“But you helped, that is, before Jarod knock you unconcious, how long did that take? About a few seconds?”

“I could make a deal with you Jason, we could—“

“Do many things together? I don’t think so, now it’s down to four minutes, better start running for your life,” The phone went dead. Lyle was about to run when a cloud of smoke blinded him.

Jason watched as the Centre became engulfed in flames yet he felt no happiness, only a sense of loss. This was his home for the past thirty years, too bad it had to be destroyed like this. He looked up at the sky, at the moon and walked toward his car, heading back to the hospital.


St. Marie’s Hospital

2300 Hours

“Mom,” Emily said softly, she put a hand on her mother’s shoulder, “We should look for a hotel for the night,” she gazed at her brother, how could this had happened she thought tears forming

“I want to stay here with him,” Margaret whispered, brushing a strand of hair away from his face.

“Honey,” The Major said gently, “Emily is right, you should get some sleep, we could borrow the room next door so we could all rest.”

“Please mom, you need to get some sleep,” her daughter urged, to weak and tired to complain, Margaret nodded and reached for the hand of her husband, the Major held her hand and together they walked outside.

Sydney walked toward the door and then stopped, “If the sweepers—“

“Don’t worry Sydney,” Ms. Parker replied quietly, her hand still covered Jarod’s, “If the sweeper team arrives, I’ll deal with it. I’m going to stay here and look after him.” Sydney smiled and walked out the door, the rest followed. Mr. Parker took one last look at his daughter, sighing, he turned toward the door.

Ms. Parker squeezed Jarod’s hand hoping for response but there was none, “Jarod, please, wake up. I know you can hear me, please…I need you to open your eyes. Damn it Jarod! Why did you have to save me?! Answer me! You could’ve disappeared that day, got on that plane with the boy and your father and left! Why didn’t you?! Oh god, why didn’t you?!” She sobbed, but deep down she knew why he stayed that day, because he loved her. “Why Jarod?! Was I worth losing your freedom for? To lose your life for? Please, answer me! Just give me an answer, open your eyes and look at me! Please….” She rested her head against his shoulder and cried until she was too tired and fell into a deep sleep. Jarod's fingers slightly moved under the covers but after a few seconds it became limp once more.


St. Marie’s hospital

2400 Hours

Margaret listened in tears as the Major and Sydney explained once again the events that happened the past week, only this time everyone heard the whole story. Her husband wrapped her arms around her as she rest her head on his shoulders tears ran down her cheeks and fell to the floor like rain. Emily sat on the bed, tears forming as she frantically brushed them away

“My baby boy, my baby boy,” Margaret cried

“I never thought he lead such a tragic life,” Mr. Peterson whispered, he glared angrily at Mr. Parker, “How could you have let this happened? You were the head of all of this and you stood there while they performed sick experiments on him?!”

Sydney cut in, “Please, Mr. Parker was not aware of this—“

“You stole him from his family and for what? For MONEY!” He was about to throw a punch at the man but Sydney stopped him. Mr. Parker sat on the chair like a stone, the man was right, he thought, it was the truth. “He will never wake up! Do you understand?! He sacrificed his life to protect YOU! A man that never deserved it, the man who ruined him and his family and for what?! He was in love with your daughter, the hunter herself! Your family had torn his family apart, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let you do it again.” Mr. Parker remained silent, everything he said was correct, now what the hell was he supposed to do now? He killed their son.

“I believed Jarod made the right choice,” Major said softly, all heads turned to him in shock including Mr. Parker’s, all of them except for his family. His wife squeezed his hand. “In his heart I know Jarod believed that Mr. Parker loved his daughter more than life itself, though he may have a cold way at going about it, he does care for his daughter. And that, along with the love he felt for Ms. Parker, was the true reason why he sacrificed himself to save him.” The room fell silent after that.


The Centre

100 Hours

Lyle opened his eyes and looked around at the rubble, he got up and started walking. Where am I? He thought, a police car pulled up in front of him. Two police officers got out.

“Do you know what happened here tonight sir?” One of the police officers asked him.

“No…” Lyle said confused

“Do you know your name?”

“No, I don’t know who I am, I DON’T KNOW WHO I AM!”

Chapter 28 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story (28 of ?) A Pretender Story (28 of ?) Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

St. Marie’s Hospital

900 Hours

Ms. Parker woke up and looked around, where am I she thought, soon the memories came flooding back to her. She glanced over at Jarod, who remained still in his eternal sleep, and still unbelievably beautiful, stroking his hair, she got up and poured herself a glass of water from the pitcher on the table. Drinking it slowly, she gazed at Jarod and thought the events that happened the last three years. She smiled, thinking back to when she found out he had escaped and that she was to capture him. How she hated him then, but there was always something there between them, from the cat and mouse chase to the talks they shared on the telephone, she looked at her glass, even while chasing him she could never pull the trigger on him, never at him and he knew. He knew, she thought with a grin, he knew and he took advantage of it, always skipping away like a child that just bought a toy at an amusement park, and blended into the scenery like a chameleon before she could catch him. He was like a child too, she thought with laughter, the PEZ, Mr. Potato head, and no one could ever forget about the Silly Putty and the barrel of monkeys. And now…her heart caught in her throat, looking over the sleeping figure, he would forever sleep, no more laughter, no more joy, but, she thought with heavy sarcasm, at least she caught him, and for what price? The price that he would never look into her eyes, comfort her over the telephone, be there when she needed him most, if only…if only. A lot of if onlys but none of them helped, never did. If it did, her mother would be alive, her father would have complete control of the Centre and…and she thought as tears dropped into the glass she was holding, Jarod would be alive, and this time they wouldn’t be chasing each other, they wouldn’t need to because they would be free…she set the glass down back down on the table…if only.

A soft knock came from the door as it opened, Margaret stepped quietly into the room, “Good morning, Ms. Parker,” She said, Ms. Parker quickly brushed away her tears and smiled.

“Mrs.—“ Ms. Parker began but Margaret held up hand and stopped her, she smiled softly

“Please, call me Margaret,” Ms. Parker sat down on the chair

“Margaret, what was Jarod like when he was a child?”

Margaret beamed, “He was smart as a whip! Always running back and forth so full of life and energy it’s hard keeping track of him. Even at that time he had a kind and passionate soul, though he knew that he was smarter then the rest of the children his age at that time, he never let it go to his head, always kind and understanding…” A tear slid down her cheek. “I’m sorry, it’s just that--” She whispered,

Ms. Parker reached over to the tissue box and it to her, “It’s all right,”

“When he was five years old we went to the old hunting shack and stayed there a while, it was raining one night, Jarod wanted to entertain us but fell, that gave him a scar, I wonder if he still has it…it was only a week before the Centre—“

“The Centre took him,” Ms. Parker looked over at Jarod, sorrow shining in her eyes

“When he was gone, I tried everything I could to get him back, phone calls, the police, anything, even after 30 years I kept trying, of course with the Centre chasing us every step of the way, but I never gave up. I never thought my search would end like this though,” More tears fell, she wiped it away with the tissue,

“Margaret, if you knew this was going to happen, would you still have tried to find him?”

“That’s the same question I asked myself over and over, would I have tried if I knew it would end up like this? And the answer was still the same, yes I would. To give up on my search for my son is like to give up on life itself, on Kyle and Emily, and no matter how hard it may seem at times, I wouldn’t give up. I couldn’t.” Ms. Parker nodded, deep down she knew what Margaret was going to say, but she still asked. Still gazing at Jarod, she didn’t notice when Margaret looked her and Jarod, “You loved him don’t you sweetheart?” she asked softly

Ms. Parker turned her head, “What did you say? I’m sorry, I was—“

“No, no, it’s all right, just keep on watching over Jarod.” Margaret smiled, she got her answer.


St, Marie’s Hospital

1000 Hours

The Major woke up and looked around, Margaret he thought frantically and ran outside towards Jarod’s room, he stopped abruptly at the door when he heard his wife’s voice.

“Ms. Parker, what was your relationship with my son?” Margaret asked softly

Ms. Parker shifted uncomfortably at her seat, she got up and walked to the window, “It’s complicated,” she replied, “Jarod and I…”

“Do you love him?”

Ms. Parker felt trapped, she looked over at Jarod’s mother, she seemed so caring, so much like her own mother…”Yes, I do love him.”

The Major stepped away from the door and walked away only to hear the pounding of footsteps behind him, he looked behind him and a dark-haired woman ran into room 302.


Jarod’s Room

1000 Hours

Ms. Parker jumped as Nia burst through the door, “Nia,” She said, surprised.

“Jarod…” Nia cried when she saw him lying on the bed, she bend over and kissed him on the cheek, Ms. Parker looked away, hurt and jealousy flashed in her eyes, Margaret quickly caught it and looked Nia, confused. “Hi, my name’s Nia. I need to find out where Jason is.”

“Margaret, this is Nia, she’s Jarod’s…girlfriend.” Ms. Parker said, she walked toward the door.

“Ms. Parker wait! I need to know where Jason went, he may be in trouble.” Nia pleaded

Ms. Parker looked back and rose an eyebrow, “Start talking,” She snapped

“Jason said that since he couldn’t do anything about Jarod, he would prevent the Centre of doing it to someone else—“

“Meaning…”

“He may do something rash, we got to stop him!”

“The Centre is gone,” Jason said, standing in the doorway, the Major behind him

“What?” Ms. Parker asked

“I blew it up.”

Tell me what you think :)

Chapter 29 by Evanescent
A Pretender Story XXIX A Pretender Story XXIX Written By: Archangel/Evanescent

Disclaimer: The characters in this story belong to NBC, MTM and Pretender Productions.

“What? Where’s Angelo?” Ms. Parker demanded, Jason looked at her, confused,

“Who’s Angelo?” He asked

“You son of a b%#@! He’s Jarod’s friend, you killed him!!” Ms. Parker screamed, she hit him hard, knocking him toward the wall, Jason turned pale as he realized what he had done.

“Ms. Parker…Angelo here.” Angelo slowly walked into the room, Ms. Parker laughed in relief and hugged him.

Jason blew out a sigh of relief and looked over at Jarod, only to find a woman standing in front of him, he raised his eyes, it was Nia. He watched in stunned silence as she walked toward him with tears running down her cheeks, she drew him into her arms, “Don’t ever do that to me again, do you understand me! I was so scared, & thought that I would never be able to see you again to say,” She cried, cupping his face with her hands and raised it to hers, “To say that I love you too.” Jason stood frozen, was his brain working right he thought wildly, but when his love brushed her lips over his, he knew he was. Ms. Parker stared in shock and relief washed over her body, she felt happy, not because Nia found a new love, it was because Jarod...

Angelo walked over to his best friend, he touched his forehead with the palm of his hand, he jerked back suddenly, “Jarod!” He yelled, so loud the people sleeping in the next room heard him and came running into the room.

“Angelo.” Mr. Parker whispered when he pushed open the door.

“Jarod…sleeping…” Angelo moaned, he sat down on the chair and continued to rest his hand on his forehead.

“Yes he is Angelo.” Ms. Parker said softly

Jason told the news to everyone, though Mr. Parker was disappointed the empire he built was destroyed, he rather have it burned than to let it fall to his son. Now that everyone had gained their freedom, it’s time to follow their dreams Jason thought looking into the coffee brown eyes of Nia and sigh happily. He gazed at his beloved friend and felt a sense of sadness, in order to gain freedom for all, someone had to be sacrificed, he would never forget Jarod he thought, the hero who started it all.


1100 Hours

Mr. Parker walked silently out of the room, he doesn’t deserve to live, all the while Jason was talking, he kept his eyes on the sleeping pretender, silently begging him to wake up but he never did. He sat down on the chair and leaned against the wall.

Ms. Parker quietly excused herself and walked outside, “Daddy,” she spoke softly, he looked up at her

“Angel, it’s all my fault,” He whispered

“Yes it is Daddy,” She answered,

“I never thought—“

“Neither did I. In fact, looking back, we were all to blame. Jarod helped us, yet we betrayed him over and over again. But that’s going to change,"

“How?”

“We’re going to get him back. One day.”


St. Marie’s Hospital

1200 Hours

1 Year later

Ms. Parker walked down the hallway toward Jarod’s room, a bouquet of flowers in her hand and a novel on the other. It’s been a year since the accident and she had been working hard at her new job as a corporate lawyer and spending the rest of her time on Jarod’s bedside. He’ll wake up she thought with confidence, and I’m going to be the first person he sees when he opened his eyes.

“Ms. Parker!” Sydney cried, running toward her with Michelle, Ms. Parker smiled, ever since he gained his freedom, he went back to his sweetheart and they moved near the hospital to be closer to Jarod. Nicholas visited often, his father told he and his mother the whole story of the Centre and ever since then, he been visiting Jarod once a day to talk. Though the conversation is one sided, the man always felt that Jarod was there to listen to him, but never could explain why.

“Syd,” Ms. Parker said, smiling

“Nia’s having another child again! She wanted all of us to go over to her house tonight at 7 to celebrate. Will you come?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world,”

“Good, I need to go, I have to meet Nicolas right now.” He rushed over to Jarod’s room and opened the door, he walked in and kissed his pretender on the forehead. “I love you Jarod.” He whispered, Michelle looked kindly at him as she set the bouquet down and followed Sydney as they walked out the door.

Nia is having another baby, Ms. Parker thought with silent laughter. She and Jason got married in February 14 and had twins nine months after that, it’s only been three months since she last had her baby and now she’s pregnant again. Her daughter, Samantha and her brother, Jarod was beautiful, but they were little terrors, because they already learned how to talk, nothing could ever quiet them down, drove his parents crazy.

Mr. Peterson also moved his family near the hospital and visit as much as he could. Her father was another story, he became the head of the medical board and see to it that Jarod had the best equipment available. He lived near the hospital too, and visited everyday, every few hours for that matter, so much that she had to lock the doors at times to keep him out.

She opened the door and walked in, she sat down on his bedside smiling at him, “Good morning Jarod, I brought flowers for your room. I won a case in court today, the bastard lawyer were staring too much at my legs to keep track of what he was saying.” She laughed, she yawned, I guess I’m still tired she thought and crawled into the bed, she’s been doing that often, since they removed his oxygen mask and all those tubes she been doing it everyday. She rested her head against his pillow facing him and closed her eyes.

Jarod’s finger moved as he slowly opened his eyes, he looked around, where am I he thought and turned his head, he saw his love resting next to him and smiled. Moving his arm slowly he touched her shoulder gently. Ms. Parker opened her eyes and smiled so beautifully that it took his breath away.

“Jarod,” Ms. Parker said softly, “I love you.” She closed her eyes and smiled contentedly, Jarod’s eyes filled with love and happiness and he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer, he kissed her forehead and closed his eyes.

Hmm…the End? Not yet…

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4928