Whatever It Takes by Trish
Summary: Jarod has some information for MP and someone for her to meet.
Categories: Season 3 Characters: Brigitte, Broots, Jarod, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Raines, Original Character, Sydney
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 24377 Read: 185927 Published: 16/05/05 Updated: 16/05/05

1. Part 1 by Trish

2. Part 2 by Trish

3. Part 3 by Trish

4. Part 4 by Trish

5. Part 5 by Trish

6. Part 6 by Trish

7. Part 6a by Trish

8. Part 7 by Trish

9. Part 8 by Trish

10. Part 9 by Trish

11. Part 10 by Trish

12. Part 11 by Trish

13. Part 12 by Trish

14. Part 13 by Trish

15. Part 14 by Trish

16. Part 15 by Trish

17. Part 16 by Trish

18. Part 17 by Trish

19. Part 17a by Trish

20. Part 18 by Trish

21. Part 19 by Trish

22. Part 20 by Trish

23. Part 21 by Trish

24. Part 22 by Trish

25. Part 23 by Trish

26. Part 24 by Trish

27. Part 25 by Trish

Part 1 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part I

Trisha


1/?

He took a long walk. Sometimes when he had to think he liked to walk along the river. Today was especially good for that because it was raining mildly. It was warm and there was no wind, just the steady rain coming straight down and dimpling the metallic grey surface of the water. He had on black jeans and running shoes and a black windbreaker and an old baseball hat. Impervious. Before he located his father and J2, he had the issue of Raines' treachery and Catherine Parker's murdr to resolve. He didn't have it in him to walk up and kill him. He'd never killed anyone. Then again maybe he would. No, it wasn't his style. Parker could do it. She was more practical than he was. She wouldn't wait until she had to.

She'd do it if it seemed a good solution to the problem- which logically it was. But he couldn't ask Parker to do things he was to reluctant to do. What he needed to do was figure out what he was not reluctant to do.

He crossed a little footbridge over Riverview Road and onto the promenade and turned west and strolled up river. The place was pretty much deserted. Not everyone understood about a walk in the rain. He realized reluctant was the wrong word for his hesitation. In fact, he would love to throw William Raines off a bridge. Yet it seemed somehow the wrong thing for him to do, Parker should have the honor of exterminating him. At the A.W. Bridge, he turned back, putting his collar up, pulling his hat down over his eyes, he savored the feeling of the rain as it came down in an easy fall, watching his idea unfold. He stopped for coffee and doughnuts, then returned to his place with the idea almost complete, or as complete as it could be.

He stripped off his wet clothes and tossed them in the hamper, took a hot shower, toweled off, and put on fresh clothes. Then he went into the kitchem. It was 6:20p.m

Taking his laptop from its hiding place, he emailed Miss Parker. Whether she would accept the invitation was up to her, but he had a little something to dangle in front of her, if needed. It was almost like papet training a puppy. Here's a cookie.

RRRRRRRRRRR

Parker was just about to leave her office, when the mailbox icon on her computer screen popped open. It was 6:25pm. She hated inactivity and since the shooting, she had too much time on her hands. So time enough for the first drink of the day, maybe past time. She filled a crystal tumbler with ice, put two ounces of scotch, and filled it with water. She took the first sip. That first sip may not be the best thing in the world, but it ranked as one of her top five. And trying to savor the first taste was a bitter reminder that maybe you really can't go home again. Picking up her glass, she clicked open her email.

Shit! It was from wonder-boy, and with an interesting invitation. Hell, what was it she had told Sydney a couple of months ago, "Raines dead, Me happy." Her day just got a whole lot better. Quickly downing the rest of her drink, Parker deleted the message, switched off the lights and headed out the door for what. She had no idea, with Jarod, one never knew.


Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 2 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part II

Trisha


2/?

The post office in town, was located in one corner of a general store in a tiny weathered-tiled building at the top of a stunted hill which led down to a small boat harbor. The coast was tourist country, and a lot of the locals had adopted a kind of staged country bumpkin persona in order to fulfill expectations.

"I'm looking for this man," Miss Parker asked holding out a picture of Jarod.

The person was a lean, black-haired woman in her early thirties, wearing a grey-ribbed tank top, and black and grey shorts that tied at her waist.

"In town here," she answered coolly. As the woman answered, she gave Parker the once over. The look wasn't out of jealousy exactly, it was more the look one gave to a rare exotic animal that shows up unexpectedly. Miss Parker had that effect on people.

"Where in town?" Parker quieried.

"Out the Bennett Road," was the reply.

"Does he have an address?" Miss Parker asked calmly.

"Here," was the woman's flip response. She was seated on one of four stools permanantly anchored to the floor in front of a faux marble-top soda fountain, her tan legs dangling, as one black sandaled foot showing taupe painted toenails carelessly twirled the seat of the stool next to her. There were pez dispensers on the counter along with refills and rednote books as well. God he must feel right at home in this two bit town.

"Does he have a house number?" Parker questioned agitation starting to show on her lovely features.

"No."

"If I went out the Bennett Road how would I reconize it?

"Blue."

"Just blue!" Miss Parker growled.

"Color of you eyes best sums it up."

"Oh!" Parker replied slowly, taken aback at the remark.

"That help." the woman replies with a gleam in her dark eyes.

"Might. Can I get there from here?"

"Right out front" Turn right."

"You been working on this act for a long time." Miss Parker asks in a condesending tone. The woman almost smiled for a moment, but fought it off and stayed in character.

"Yep," she answered.

"I'd say thanks, but. . . " Parker retorted as she headed for the screen door.

"Don't bother, Miss Parker, he said you were unflappable and I enjoyed the sparring match,' the woman finally breaks character and smirks.

Parker glances over her shoulder clearly impressed for most people crack due to her cool demeanor, before leaving the building.

"We'll meet again, soon," the woman whispered.



Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 3 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part III

Trisha


3/?

Grinning, Parker went back out and got into her rental car, and turned right. Nearly all the houses were white and set on low foundations, many had long porches that wrapped around the front and one side where people could sit rocking while looking across the street at people also rocking and looking across the street. The Bennett Road stretched over a swift-moving river than plained out between tall pine trees on the right and the sea-spumed pebble strewn shore on the left. About two miles out of town, the road ended at a narrow drive, which was guarded by an electric gate. Parker could just make out the peaked windows of a blue house nestled between the tall trees. She hit the button on the speaker box and was greeted to the cackle of

"WHAT?".

"Hey, that's my line,' she cracks jovially.

"Miss Parker, nice to hear your melodious tones," Jarod replys, "What's the magic word."

"Open the dam fucking gate, wonder boy," Parker says thickily with honey glazing her voice.

"Not even close, but for you," Jarod laughes over the speaker.

The black iron wrought gate swings open and Parker eases her car up the winding black-topped drive. A majestic blue house looms in to her veiw with the river and horizonline behind. The sight took Parker's breath away, and seeing Jarod grinning at her from a rocking chair with a vacant one next to his, only sweetened the image.

The car door opens and Jarod watches an excellent pair of legs, sleek and clean, full calved, tapering to slim ankles always enhanced by her siletto heels emerge. However, instead of the usual power suit, Parker is wearing a diaphanous midnight blue sheath patterned with little white blossoms, over a midnight blue slip, a mandarin collar secured by black frogs, her hair pulled up into a french twist, her ice blue eyes full of curiosity.

"How's the shoulder," he asks with concern.

"Better, but lifting my suitcase is a real bitch. Be a good lab rat and get it out of the trunk," she coos and tosses him her keys.

"Miss Parker, I'm deeply hurt," he smiles impishly, yet his brown eyes are full of mischief.

"You're the host. You are the one that invited me to this two bit town, she states as she makes herself comfortable in the previously occupied rocker and pours herself a glass of lemonade, that was located on the table in front of the chairs.

"Careful Parker, its not loaded," Jarod informs her as he removes the suitcase from the trunk.

"Oh! What a pity!" she smiles evilly at him before sticking out her tongue at him.

"Looks like Miss Parker but is it Miss Parker? Or is it Mic. . ." he says as he places the suitcase by the screen door.

"Enough, Jarod." Parker cuts him off, for she knew what was coming,

"Why am I here?"

" Still don't like using your given name. Do you? Well now, all in good time and all shall be revealed. Do you like the house?" he asks changing the subject.

"Its not bad for a summer rental," Parker replies, "How much did it cost the Centre? I hope not too much."

" Too bad you feel that way, because its yours."

The shock registered on her face like an unexpected thunderstorm. Jarod resumed his place in the rocking chair and removes some documents from under the serving tray. Slowly he places them reverently into her outstretched hands, then he watches intently as her eyes rapidly scan them. Not once but twice.

"Are these real?" she hesitated before looking up at him, and the smallest of smiles lit her eyes and her face.

"Very real, Parker," he says with a sigh of relief, " seems she brought the children rescued from the Centre here. It was her gift to them. A small refuge from all the deceit and ugliness they suffered in their little world of hell. Then she reunited most with their parents or loved ones. Did you never wonder were she took them?" Jarod flashs her a smile in hopes of alleviating her pain at the memory of her mother.

"Oh, mama," Parker cries as her shoulders shudder, slightly.
.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 4 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended. Song lyrics belong to Travis Tritt, by using them I do not make any money out of it.



Whatever It Takes
Part IV

Trisha


4/?

Jarod took her hand and held it gently, and they just rocked on the front porch for hours. To any who would have seen them, they seemed the idyllic couple spending the summer at their country home. Finally, Parker looked into a pair of deep brown eyes and smiled tentatively.

"Thans for just being here," she mumbled, softly.

"Glad to be of service.Come on, I'll show you to your room," Jarod rose from the rocking chair and retrieved the suitcase that was still by the screen door. Holding the door, he followed Parker into the house. A house that premeated of tranquility and warmth. Leading her up the stairs, Parker was suddenly struck with a sense of foreboding. Not an evil feeling but just this tiny feeling that before the next two weeks were over things between her and Jarod would change, forever.

"Here. I think you will like it. Nothing much is different since I found it. Well, other than no more dust." Jarod chuckled.

"Do you do windows too?" Parker asked a smile tugging at her lips, but it slowly faded as Jarod opened the bedroom door. Pale blue walls, white cotton curtains billowed slightly due to the open windows. A four poster bed of the darkest cherry wood was located between them. the white comforter was turned down to reveal light pale blue sheets,four white Battenburg lace-edged pillows crowded the headboard and nestled in the middle was a tiny stuffed toy. A bunny.

"The bunny was my idea, everything else was here," he whispered softly. Jarod placed the suitcase on the cedar trunk located at the foot of the bed.
"The bathroom is here," he stated as he opened a door to the left of the bed, "Relax and I'll start dinner. There are somethings that you need to know and tomorrow there is someone that I want you to meet."

Jarod left the room and Parker walked over to the cherry highboy dresser. A small jewelery box was centered squarely in the middle surrounded by a bottle of Chanel, a silver hair brush set, and a picture. It was the picture that caught her attention, she ran her fingertips over the frame and then let then softly touch the glass, afraid it would vanish. Momma and her. She remembered when it had been taken, their last Christmas together. this was her mother's room and it was like being in heaven. If such a place existed, leave it to Jarod to find it. Blinking back the tears, Parker entered the bathroom. There in the middle was a white enamaled claw footed tub. Opening the cupboards, she located big white fluffy towels and sitting on the marble counter top was a glass bottle . The tag was addressed to her.
"Your favorite bubble bath, Jarod."
Removing the stopper, she let the scent of roses fill the room, while she ran the water. She poured a generous amount of the liquid in and swirled it with her hand. Then as she eased her tired body into the tub, she closed her eyes and began to drift off when out of nowhere, music suddenly filled the room. She listened to the lyrics of a song that she was unfamiliar with,

I can't hide the way I feel about you
Anymore
I can't hold the hurt inside
Anymore
My tears no longer waiting
My resistance ain't that strong
My mind keeps recreating
A life with you alone
And I'm tired of pretending
Anymore. . .

She turned the words over in her head, was this just a coincidence or did he purposely play it. There was always some method to his madness, she mused. As the song continued, the warm water cradled her, and her thoughts returned to the words and Jarod.

Let me make on last appeal
To show you how I feel about you
"Cause there is no one else I swear
holds a candle anywhere
next to you
My heart can't take the beating
A small voice keeps repeating
deep inside my soul
it says I can't keep pretending
I don't love you
Anymore
I've got to take the chance, or let it pass by
If I expect to get on with my life.

Always pretending, god she realized that somewhere in his crazy life, he must let his guard down once and awhile. Just how did he feel about things? She never really thought about him as just a man until the whole mess with the clone. She always viewed him as propery. the Centre's , yet when she looked in to J2's eyes and saw the same hurt and pain of not knowing, it all came crashing down around her. then to learn that he risked going back to the Centre to help her, it rattled her very being. Keeping him locked up for purposes that were always shrouded in secrecy was wrong. Reaching for the towel, Parker pulled the plug in the tub and watched the water slowly drain out. Toweling off, she removed the cranberry velour robe from the hook next to the door and wrapped herself up in the feelings of security it gave. Yes, there were quite a few things that needed to be discussed, she realized, as she began to dress for dinner.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 5 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part V

Trisha


5/?

She surveyed herself critically, in the full length mirror, located in the corner of her bedroom.The outfit was not her typical Miss Parker outfit, but she was on vacation from the Centre, so haute couture be damned. The top was white crisp cotton with a sweetheart neckline, tiny one inch straps and it hugged her in all the right places. The whiteness of it set off her sun-kissed skin. Her black denim shorts were no shorter than any of her skirts, and she decided to forego shoes of any kind. Freedom, sort of...

Emerging from her bedroom, curiousity got the better part of her, after all he did tell her it was her house. She decided to investigate the rest of the upstairs before heading downstairs. The first three doors were locked but the room located next to the one she was in, wasn't. Slowly opening the heavy oak door, her eyes took in a very simple but definitely masculine room, golden oak panelling set off by a wonderful cobblestone fireplace. A lovely antique iron wrought bed with an impossible to duplicate pantina was centered in front of that wonderful fireplace. The comforter and the sheets were a rich jeweled topaz. She ran her fingers over the cool iron, french, and impressive. Next to the bed, a small nightstand with an alarm clock and a small statue of a little girl with a small bunny, also french. Spotting the anitque wardrobe, she gingerly lifted the brass latch, half expecting to be transported into Narnia, a childhood favorite of her's, instead she was awestruck by his discriminate taste in clothing. She moved onto the bathroom, similar in design to her's, except for the heady scent of musk, his cologne, which permeated the room, making her a little weak in the knees.

Although he had revealed the ownership of the house as belonging to her, she still felt like she was trespassing and had no intention of getting caught in his room, he just might get the wrong impression. She quickly exited and made her way downstairs. Music still filled the air, in fact, Parker smiled as she reconized the sensual tones of Amanda Marshall's "Let it Rain".Following the clanging of metal on metal, Parker had no trouble finding the kitchen. Standing in the doorway she enjoyed watching Jarod slaving over a hot stove, preparing dinner for her.

"Hi," she said softly.

"Hi there yourself. Did you enjoy your bath?" he inquired as he strained the vegetables into a metal colander.

"Yes, yes I did," Parker stammered, blushing slightly," Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Other than taking the wine out to the table, everything is under control."

"So where's the wine?" Parker asked. Jarod nodded toward the terra cotta sleeve behind him. Parker edged herself around him, and picked up the bottle, smiling at his choice, Pinot Chardonnay. So, they were having chicken for dinner, if his choice of a full-bodied white wine was any indication.

"No problem, I think I can manage to bring this out for you," Parker said with a smile. A glass topped table was set for two, citronella
scented candles ringed the deck, and then Jarod arrived carrying two plates.

"Scaloppine of chicken with stir fried vegetables," he stated as he placed the plate in front of her. He placed his down as well, then pulled out her chair for her. Gently pushing her toward the table, his fingers grazed her arms. Parker shivered at his warm touch on her skin. Unexpected yet electrifing.

"Cold?" Jarod inquired, shocked by the fact that she did not flinch from his touch.

"No!" she mumbled as she quickly cut a piece of chicken. Jarod uncorked the wine and poured half a glass in each fluted crystal glass, then took up residence in the seat across from her.

"Mmmm! This is wonderful! Where did you learn to cook like this?" she eyed him suspiously,"definitely not at the Centre."

"New Orleans," he laughed.

"So what was that cryptic message all about?"

"Please, Parker, let's forget about The Centre for one evening. I have days to reveal it all to you. We have good food, great wine, wonderful music and I am in the presence of a beautiful woman. Right now, no business, maybe later," Jarod's eyes danced with danger and he enjoyed the fact that she was rattled by the compliment. Especially from what she considered a lab rat or a twisted science experiment.


Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 6 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VI

Trisha


6/?

Parker sipped her wine and tried to maintain her composure. She wondered if he was trying to seduce her, because just looking into his dark eyes had a much more intoxicating effect on her than the wine.

"Alright you win, Jarod. One question, please?" she placed her glass on the table slowly.

"One question," he sighs, nodding his head in defeat.

"How did you find this place?" Parker asked, watching his features contort in a pained expression.

"My father. He was suppose to meet your mother here, when she got us out of the Centre," Jarod replied in hushed tones.

"So you were hoping that they'd be here," Parker whispered. Jarod nodded his head in the affirmative, then resumed eating his dinner.

His eyes nevering leaving her's, she shifted uncomfortable in her seat.

"How long have you been here?" Parker asked to break the silence.

"A week and a half. Took me a few days to decide on the next step."

"Why? You found out something important. What?" Parker's voice took on an icy quality.

"Damn it Parker! You can't let go can you. Tenacious as every. Fine, come on," Jarod rose from his chair, storm clouds in his eyes as he took hold of her wrist.

"Go, where?" Parker stammered suddenly afraid. He half dragged, half tugged her down the hallway, then opened the door, to what was obviously a study.

"I wanted to wait till the morning to show you these," his features full of sadness, " but. . ."

"Show me what?" Parker demanded.

"Sit! Watch!" he growled.

A halliburton case was situated on the desk, not Jarod's, Parker realized, but its dulled finish. Jarod opened the desk drawer, and removed four DSA discs.

"These were your mother's," Jarod replies, a haunted look in his dark eyes.

"Please, stay." Parker grips his wrist and implores him not to leave.

"No! You need to watch. Maybe learn a thing or two about the woman you once considered to be weak. Then we talk." with that said Jarod left her with the unknown.

With her shaking hands, she took hold of the DSA gently, then turned and placed it into the case. Her knuckles white from the death grip she had on the sides of the desk as she watched.

FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
DECEMBER,1969

CATHERINE PARKER IS SEATED BEHING A DESK, REVEIWING A REPORT WHEN IN SHUFFLES RAINES.

"CATHERINE, HOW COULD YOU? YOU HAD NO RIGHT! I'VE BEEN ORDERED TO APPEAR BEFORE A T-BOARD," HE WHEEZED SLIGHTLY, THROWING A PAPER ON HER DESK.

"I KNOW. YOU WENT TO FAR THIS TIME WILLIAM," HER EYES STARE AT HIM ICILY.

"STOP INTERFERING!" HE SCREAMS.

"NEVER!" SHE HISSED BACK, THEN RETURNED TO THE REPORT SHE WAS READING, TOTALLY IGNORING HIM. RAINES HEADS FOR THE DOOR, STOPS AND TURNS AROUND.

"CATHERINE, YOUR DAUGHTER," HE SMILES EVILLY," YOU NEVER KNOW, PEOPLE DISAPPEAR AROUND HERE EASILY."

THE DOOR SHUTS BEHIND HIM AS A CRYSTAL PAPERWEIGHT SHATTERS WHERE HIS FACE HAD JUST BEEN.

"OVER MY DEAD BODY, YOU BASTARD," CATHERINE WHISPERS.

She went up against the watchdog. Parker wondered just how she managed to have Raines called before the T-board. Parker inserts the next disc.


FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
JANUARY, 1970

A YOUNG ANGELO IS BEING BADGERED BY RAINES OVER A SET OF PHOTOS. SUDDENLY OUT OF THE CORNER OF THE ROOM A YOUNG GIRL APPEARS. HER FEATURES ARE DELICATE AND HER SKIN WHITE AS PORCELAIN. SHE IS SMALL BONED, ALMOST TINY, HER HAIR IS COAL BLACK BUT ITS THE EYES THAT SEEM TO BE MADE OF OBSIDIAN, SO BLACK THAT THERE IS A GLINT IN THEM THAT SUGGESTS THE PRESENCE OF A DORMANT VOLCANO. AN UNAWAKANED STORM. THEY DANCE, THEN DARKEN EVEN MORE AS SHE HISSES AT RAINES, UNARAID.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE. HE'S TIRED AND SCARED."

RAINES LEERS AT THE GIRL BEFORE PUSHING HER AWAY. HE TOWERS OVER A QUIVERING ANGELO, MAKING DEMAND UPON DEMAND. THE GIRL EDGES HER WAY TO THE TABLE, HER DARK EYES MAKING CONTACT WITH RAINES OUTSTRETCHED HAND. A FLASH OF METAL, A CRY OF PAIN AND RAGE. RAINES' HAND OOZING BLOOD. A SMILE OF SATISFACTION ON THE GIRL'S FEATURES. RAINES BACKHANDS HER ACROSS THE FACE, YET SHE REMAINS UNFAZED BY THE BLOW. STARING AT RAINES, DEFIANT, HATRED BLAZING IN HER OBSIDIAN EYES.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE," SHE PICKS OF THREE OF THE FOUR PICTURES ON THE TABLE, TAKING EACH ONE SEPERATELY AND THROWS THEM AT HIM, SAYING, "HE'S ANGRY! HE'S CONFUSED! HE'LL KILL IF TOLD TOO. YOU TRAINED HIM WELL! THE LAST ONE SHE LOOKS AT CAREFULLY, BEFORE TURNING TO RAINES. A SMILE ON HER FACE.

"THIS ONE IS GOING TO KILL YOU SOMEDAY."




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 6a by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VI a

Trisha


6a/?

"THIS ONE IS GOING TO KILL YOU SOMEDAY."

"NEVER," HE HISSES.

"YES, SHE WILL!" THE GIRL GLOATS.

RAINES' FIST MAKES CONTACT WITH HER FACE, BUT SHE TAKES THE BLOW, UNFLINCHING.

"THERE'S AN OLD ZEN PROVERB, DR RAINES, THE PAST RESTS AT THE TOP OF THE HEART, THE FUTURE IN THE BACK OF THE MIND, AND THE PRESENT AT THE TIP THE FIST. SHE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING, RAINES. ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS FACE."

THE GIRL SMILES AT RAINES FEARFUL LOOK BEFORE HANDS FROM NOWHERE HAVE HER. THEN A HYPODERMIC NEEDLE IS INJECTED INTO HER ARM.

Parker inhales sharply, so intent on watching the screen, that she had to remind herself to breath. Taking the third DSA in her trembling hand, Parker removes the one just viewed.

FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
JANUARY, 1970

CATHERINE QUIETLY ENTERS THE TINY ROOM WITH A SMALL METAL BOX. A TINY FIGURE IS CURLED UP ON THE COT IN A TIGHT FETAL POSTION.

"BETH, SWEETHEART," CATHERINE WHISPERS AS SHE EDGES HERSELF ON THE COT, "LET ME SEE."

THE GIRL TURNS TO FACE CATHERINE, THE LEFT SIDE OF HER FACE BRUISED, LOWER LIP SWOLLEN AND SPLIT WITH DRIED BLOOD IN THE CORNER, THE LEFT EYE PURPLED AND SEMI-SHUT.

"THAT SON-OF-A-BITCH!" CATHERINE'S VOICE IS LACED WITH FURY, YET SHE TENDERLY WIPES THE BLOD FROM THE CORNER OF THE GIRL'S LIPS. NEXT SHE TAKES AN ICE PACK FROM THE SMALL METAL BOX AND PLACES IT ON THE SWOLLEN FACE.

"HE'S EVIL," BETH CROAKS DRYILY,"HE'S DANGEROUS AND TWISTED. HE'LL TRY TO HURT HER. YOU'VE PROTECTED HER SO FAR BUT HE WANTS HER BACK."

"WHO?" CATHERINE ASKS BUT UNDERSTANDING IS WRITTEN ALL OVER HER FEATURES.

"YOUR ANGEL," THE GIRL MUTTERS BEFORE BALLING UP AGAIN IN OBVIOUS PAIN, "HURTS. HURTS BAD."

"SHHHH!" CATHERINE HUSHES AS SHE SCOOPS UP THE TINY BODY INTO HER ARMS AND LEAVES THE ROOM.

Parker takes the last disc, not all certain that she wants to watch it, but she needs to know more. Raines has a lot to anwser for.

FOR CENTRE USE ONLY
FEBRUARY, 1970

CATHERINE PARKER IS IN HER OFFICE WITH SYDNEY, WHEN RAINES ENTERS, ENRAGED.

"WHERE IS SHE? WHERE IS TEMPEST, CATHERINE?" RAINES WHEEZES.

"WHO?" CATHERINE QUIERIES, A LOOK OF PUZZLEMENT ON HER FACE.

"YOU KNOW WHO! THE ONE YOU CALL BETH," RAINES NEARLY SHRIEKS.

"WILLIAM, CALM DOWN BEFORE YOU HAVE A STROKE," SYDNEY INTERVENES,"WHAT'S HAPPENED TO OUR LITTLE TEMPEST."

"ASK HER," RAINES SPITS, POINTING A FINGER AT CATHERINE.

"LAST I KNEW SHE WAS IN THE INFIRMARY, AGAIN. RECOVERING FROM ONE OF HIS LATEST BEATINGS. AND THIS TIME IT WAS TOUCH AND GO. IN THE MOOD FOR ANOTHER T-BOARD WILLIAM. YOU WERE WARNED ONCE." CATHERINE STATES ANGER RISING IN HER VOICE.

"AGAIN! WHAT HAS THAT POOR CHILD EVER DONE TO REQUIRE SUCH TREATMENT," SYDNEY ASKS APPALLED.

" SHE PROTECTS ANGELO. I WILL NOT HAVE HER INTERFERE WITH HIM." RAINES REPLIES," SO WHERE IS SHE, CATHERINE?"

"GO CHECK IN THE INFIRMARY."

"I'LL DO THAT," RAINES SAYS MENANCINGLY. HIS EYES DANCING WITH PURE HATRED AS HE LEAVES.

"CATHERINE, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" SYDNEY MOANS, WORRY WRITTEN ON HIS FACE.

"WHAT NEEDED TO BE DONE!" SHE REPLIES.

"YOU BEST BE CAREFUL, CATHERINE. YOU ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE. AND YOU SHOULD NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR OWN CHILD," SYDNEY WARNS.

" I WILL, SYDNEY. I PROMISE. I WILL PROTECT MY CHILD. SPEAKING OF CHILDREN, AM I RIGHT IN GUESSING THAT SHE'S WITH JAROD,' CATHERINE SMILES.

"YES. MISS MISCHIEF AND MR. MAYHEM ARE PROBABLY WITH MR. MELANCHOLY. I JUST HOPE THEY STAY THE HELL OUT OF RAINES' WAY TODAY," SYDNEY SAYS, RETURNING THE SMILE.

"WELL THEN, WE BEST COLLECT YOUR RESPECTIVE CHARGES," CATHERINE REMARKS AS SHE RISES FROM HER CHAIR.

Parker sat there and stared at the screen until she was brought out of her reverie by a soft insistent knock at the door. Just how long she sat there and stared at a grey screen, she had no idea. Again, there a knocking at the door.

"What!"

Jarod entered the room, concern written in his dark eyes."I'm sorry."

"Don't be. There's more though, isn't there," Parker rubs her eyes, exhausted.

"Yes, but it can wait until tomorrow. It's late and we both need to get some rest."

"Rest, Jarod. I'm not sure I can. I have so many questions running around in my head, that it's spinning. I need answers," Parker states.

"In the morning. Parker, please," Jarod comes around the desk and gently pulls her from the chair and propells her toward the door.

"Fine, but first thing in the morning we talk. Agreed. "

" Agreed," Jarod extends his hand to her and she takes it willingly.

The duo climb the stairs wearily, and Jarod stops at Parker's bedroom door.

"Good night Parker. Get some rest," Jarod says as he opens the door for her. Parker leans against the back of the door and closes her eyes. God, all she wants right now is to be held. Placing his hands on the other side of the door, Jarod knows that he could have held her, but she needs to come to him. He leaves the hallway and quietly closes the door to his room.




Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 7 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VII

Trisha


7/?

Moving away from the door, Parker grabs cranberry silk pajamas from the bed, then wills herself into the bathroom, still shaken by the images of her mother. Placing hands on the marble counter, she glances at her reflection in the mirror and sees her mother smiling back.

"Am I still your Angel, momma?" she whimpers tearfully, hoping for a reply but knows one won't be forthcoming. Slipping between crisp cotton sheets, Parker cuddles the tiny stuffed bunny. As she drops off to sleep, puzzled by Jarod's help, she dreams of her mother, Raines and a tiny girl named Beth.

In the room next to Parker's, Jarod stands in the shower and lets the cool cascade of water run down his lean body, trying to wash away the memories of beautiful ice blue eyes that glistened earlier because of the candlelight.
They then filled with pain. So much pain. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and give comfort but. . . Towelling off, he pulls on a pair of deep forest green boxers and takes up residence in a wicker high back chair by his bedroom window. He had told Parker to get some rest, yet here he sits staring at the twinkling stars in the dark velvet night sky.

"Catherine, the hard part is yet to come. She'll need all of her strength and courage now," he whispers to the stars. He watches as one star twinkles much more brightly than the rest in response to his statement. Smiling, Jarod eases out of the chair and pours his tired body into his bed and drifts off to a dreamless sleep.

RRRRRRRRRR

The next morning dawns bright and fair. There is a white mist upon the ground and river. The air is chilled as Parker makes her way down to the kitchen. Her sense of smell has informed her that Jarod is already up and about because of the rich aroma of coffee wafting through the house.

"Coffee! I need coffee!" she mumbles, pushing a stray lock of dark hair out of her face.

"Here," as a hand holds a big mug of steaming hot coffee under her nose.

Slowly rubbing the remaining remnants of sleep from her eyes, she finds Jarod standing in front of her, clad only in his boxers, eating a chocolate doughnut. Peering at him over the rim of her mug, she isn't sure to drink it or him, so she quickly lowers her gaze to the floor.

"Doughnut?" he asks her as he holds out the box to her," I got your favorite, glazed twist."

"Thanks," she says picking out the twist," Now tell me all that you found out."

"It's easier to show you. Finished, then follow me," he says and picks up a flat metal key from the table. They make their way back up the stairs and stop in front of one of the doors Parker tried to open yesterday. Jarod inserts the flat key into the doorknob. Pushing the door open, its contents are revealed. Boxes upon boxes, yet there are some items encased in bubble wrap. It is one of these that catches Parker's attention. She slowly unwraps the object to reveal a carousel music box. Jarod hears her sharp intake of breath.

"I always wondered where this disappeared too. Daddy told me it broke. We bought it after spending the whole day at the carousel ride in the park. After she died, I couldn't find it, but then again I could not find a lot of momma's things," Parker said softly.

"That's because most of her possesions are her. I think she realized that she was in a lot of danger. She had planned on getting you, me and Angelo out of the Centre, with the help of my father. She had no intention of going back," Jarod said.

"Your father said she was going to take me to Europe," Parker revealed to Jarod.

"It fits. I found passports in her desk, yet after I was safely returned to my family, I think that she planned on staying here for a while."

"What about Angelo?" Parker quiered.

" I think she was going to keep him. I found correspondence from a clinic for young children, as well. Parker, there is more. Come on."

Jarod removes the carousel music box from her hands, and drags her to the next room. Before her unlocks it, he turns to Parker, with a look of consternation on his face.

"Parker, what kind of mood was your mother in before she was killed? Did the Centre ever do an autopsy? I'm sorry to ask, but once you see this room. Oh hell,Parker. I think your mother may have been pregant!" he says with hurt in his eyes.

"What?" Parker tugs the key out of his hand and with shaking fingers manages to open the door. A fully decorated nursery.

"That son of a bitch," rips from her throat and she sinks slowly to her knees, sobbing.



Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 8 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part VIII

Trisha


8/?

Jarod tenatively seeks to still Parker's shaking shoulders, but she pulls away from his comfort giving touch.

"DON'T TOUCH ME! HAVEN'T YOU DONE ENOUGH! LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!" she snarls at him like a wounded animal throughh gut-wretching sobs.

"Parker, I'm so sorry . . . so sor. . ."

"Don't!" she looks at him holding a hand up in warning. Pullingherself up off the wooden floor, she stumbles over to the rocking chair located under a pale yellow laced-curtained window.

"Parker. . ." Jarod begins again.

"GET OUT! JUST GET OUT!" she softly murmurs," I WANT YOU TO GO AWAY!"

Easing the door closed, Jarod hangs his head in despair. Hopefully she can work through the pain, they will deal with the anger later. Jarod retreats into his room, he opens the wardrobe and removes a black tee shirt and a pair of beige dockers. He makes his way to the bathroom somewhat defeated.

It can out of nowhere. Blindsided. So she sits and rocks for hours, her knees pulled up to her chest, hands clasped tightly around them. Slowly the tears stop flowing, her breathing returns to normal. Reaching behind, she gently tugs at a white and yellow blanket that was draped over the back of the rocker. Tenderly she caresses it to her cheek, reveling in it softness.

A ray of sunlight breaks through the window and something strikes a chord in Parker. An unnerving realization. Leaping to her feet, Parker opens the dresser drawer, that is located by the crib. Reaching in she removes a tiny sleeper.

Feeling its coolness in her hands, she brings it to her face. Inhaling slightly, she catches a sweet soap scent. Running a hand over the top of the crib, she examines it to find no dust. Even the carousel of tiny horses that hangs above the crib is well preserved. Throwing the door open, Parker screams.

"J A R O D!!!!"

Jarod heard the scream from the deck, and he raced through the house and took the stairs two at a time. Reaching the landing, he is confronted by an irate Parker.

"How long have you been here? Tell me, quickly," she eyes him critically, waiting.

"Why?" he replies.

"Stop messing with my mind. No mind games. There is something that you aren't telling me," she looks at him icily," I'm not going to fall apart again, believe me. Now tell me!"

"What?" he stares at her, unsure.

"Damn it Jarod! Who the hell has kept this place up? Jarod, answer me.

Who?" she reaches out and grabs hold of his face with both hands and brings it within inches of her's trying to read what he's hiding in his dark brooding eyes.

"Are you sure you want to know?"

" YES! I need-to-know. Understand. I need to know. NOW!"

" Then get dressed and meet me on the deck."

Parker walks out of the kitchen door and unto the deck and finds Jarod staring at the river, deep in thought.

"Well?" she questions.

"Hope you don't get seasick?" he replies, "We're going to take a little trip across the river to that island," he reveals slowly to a startled
Parker.

"Then let's go! Don't just stand there, I have to many questions and I want all the answers, " she smiles cautiously.

"Come on then, your vessal awaits," he says softly. Reaching out his hand he hopes she will accept it. She does and takes hold squeezing tightly and both release a sigh of relief. They walk down the stairs to a small dock located between the pines, awaiting them is a sleek motor boat. After helping Parker in, Jarod turns the key and the motor roars to life. They push off from the dock and glide out onto the water.

The water is smooth as a mirror. Other than the hum of the motor, the only other sound is the squawk of the gulls, overhead. Slowly, Jarod manuvers toward a small channel and enters the island's dock area. Looking back at Parker as he cuts the engines throttle, he finds her hair is damp and droplets of water trickle down her face from the boat's spray. She laughes at his somewhat alarmed expression. Carefully they pull up along side the dock and secure the boat.

Stepping out on to the wooden decking, Jarod takes hold of her hand. Making their way cautiously, through bramble and brush, they halt suddenly. Glancing at each other, Jarod holds a finger to his lips, then turns his attention to a wooden gate, high and broad, beyond which lies gardens, a row of tall old oak trees and a house, a truly gothic house.




Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 9 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Hey Guys, are you really sure that you want me to continue?

Sure?

Really Sure?

Okay! Okay here is part 9 but I must warn you the cliffhangers don't end.




center>Whatever It Takes
Part IX

Trisha

9/?


Jarod led her through the gate, they slipped through the gardens and past the oaks and started toward the house. Jarod offered no explanation as to where he was taken her, and she did not ask. They walked in silence.Jarod glanced often at Parker, more worried about her than he cared to admit even to himself, but she gave no indication of her emotional state. Once he asked softly if she was all right, and she nodded back to him without speaking.

A short time after, they found themselves approaching the ivy-covered walls of the house. Jarod led them onto the grounds surrounding the semi-dark home, directing them through a shelter of pine that bordered the lawn, then along a row of hedges to a small alcove and a pair of floor-length glass windows illuminated by muted light. Standing before the doors, Jarod tapped softly on the pane. There was a moment's wait, then the curtains covering the windows moved slightly. A latch within was released, and the doors swung open.

Quickly Jarod ushered Parker through, out of habit he glanced furtively about, then follows, closing the doors behind him.

They stood for a few seconds in semi-darkeness listening to the rapid sound of footsteps as someone moved quickly about the room. A light flared from a remote area of the room and Parker found that they were in a small study, burnished oak from walls and shelving, gleaming in the dim light, soft vestiges of color from leather-bound books and tapestries were visible.

There in that remote corner of the room, an elven-featured child with long chestnut hair, slender body browned by the sun, and eyes that were green and deep with life, stoood on a small earthen-colored rug, her hands on hips.

"Jarod!" she cried, "You've come back. A promise made is a promise kept."

She ran into his outstretched arms and he hoisted her up, until both were eye level and grinning foolishly. Casting a receptive glance at Parker,the little girl giggled then whispered secretly in Jarod's ear. Nodding in response to her, she giggled again. Then placing tiny hands on each cheek, she kissed his forehead, then rubbed her nose against his.

"Hello Aunt Parker!" she greeted the already stunned and perplexed woman.

"Aunt Parker?" Parker repeated.

"You didn't tell her. Did you?" the little girl scolded Jarod.

"No, I didn't tell her. That is for your mother to do. Now be a good little elf, Destiny, and tell your mother we're here," Jarod said as he returned the kiss.

"She's with Nanna. She already knows, so she'll be here shortly. Where are your manners, Jarod? Introduce me properly," the little girl wiggled impatiently, waiting for Jarod to release her from his hug.

'You're quite right, young lady. Where are my mannera?" Jarod said as he looked around the room," OOOOh, manners! Where are you?"

The little girl laughed at his antics and even Parker could not keep a smile from tugging at her lips. Taking Jarod's long slender fingers in her tiny ones, they came to stand before a still dumbfounded Miss Parker.

"Miss Destiny Reid, Miss Mmmm Parker," Jarod said turning from one to the other. A tiny hand shot out and grasped Parker's well manicured one at his introduction.

"OOOhhhh!" green eyes widened at the touch," She's the one. Isn't she, Jarod?"

"The one. What?" Parker addressed the child. Destiny crooked her forefinger for Parker to come closer. Parker bends down toward the child and is startled when she looks into grown-up eyes. Eyes too wise for a child. Eyes like Angelo's. Eyes that see deep into one's
soul and know. Tiny hands caress Parker's face before tiny lips whisper, unheard by Jarod.

"Long ago, you stoled his heart."

Parker's eyes widen at the statement, she casts a sideways peek at Jarod, wondering if he heard.

"There's more, if you want to know," Destiny whispers.

"Enough, Destiny," a loving voice from the shadows of the doorway responds. There stepping into the muted light is a woman, who's features are delicate and skin is sun-bronzed. She is small boned, not as tiny as Destiny, but the resemblance is there. Her hair is coal-black but its the eyes that Parker reconizes. Obsidian eyes that suggest the presence of a precious metal in them as they glitter in the half light. Parker knows that the volcano as awoken from it's dormant slumber.

"Beth!" although the room is silent, Parker's whisper reverberates around the room loudly.

RRRRRRRRRRRR

Meanwhile in Delaware, Dr. William Raines awakens from his restless slumber with fear and terror gnawing at his brain and lets out a blood-curdling scream.



Thanks so far for all the feedback. I do enjoy it. Please keep it coming. I thought that this would not go on for so long but it has taken on a life of its own and I have no idea where it will end.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 10 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Whatever It Takes
Part X

Trisha


10/?

"Jarod, its good to see you," Beth says softly, planting a chaste kiss on his lips. Parker felt a sense of resentment well up in her, as she watched this stranger kiss lips, that she longed to kiss again.

"Good to see you too, Beth. I wish it were under different circumstances, for both of you," Jarod replies, the tension in the room rising quickly,

"Shall I take Destiny to Nanna."

"I wish you could but Nanna's ill, so if you wouldn't mind playing babysitter for awhile. I know she was anxious for you to return.Something a about a new program for the computer," Beth states, then smiles apologetically.

"No problem. Come on elf. So you have a new program to show me?" Jarod answers the woman, then addressed the child with a grin.

"Grownups, go figure." Destiny remarks rolling her green eyes, then slips her hand into his,"Not you, never you. Too much child left in you, Jarod. Too much."

"Charming," Parker retorts, an edge in her voice, residue left from the resentment she felt at Beth's familiarity with Jarod.

"Not always," Beth remarks, and gestures for Parker to take a seat on the small brown sofa located in front of the heavily-curtained floor length windows. Each stare at the other, unfortunately one was at a disadvantage on reading the others feelings, yet how to broach the subject that needed to be addressed was proving difficult. Considering that subject was Catherine Parker, a woman loved by both.

"Did you enjoy play-acting yesterday?" Parekr asks breaking the tension in the room, first.

"Precautions, Parker. Just a cautionary measure on my part. To make sure that no one from the Centre followed. I detest sweepers, that's why. It's how I managed to stay alive, since Catherine got me out of hell."

There it was out in the open.The name had been said, it was now up to Parker. Her name came alive in that small room for both of them, although each had different memories, unshared.

"So that was how you managed to escape detection, pretending, when all the others are dead, but you know that don't you?" Parker spat sarcastically.

Parker's accusation stung, and Beth flushed, irritated that this woman could presume that the others meant nothing to her.

"Yes, I knew they were all dead. Each time one died, it was like a bit of myself died too. Do you think I enjoyed doing nothing? But that's for you to decide. Believe me or not? I care not what you think of me. Although she had hoped to raise us together as sisters," her obsidian eyes darkened yet held Parker's ice blue, insinuating and persuasive. Parker saw only the truth in them.

"Okay. I believe you," She finally said.

"Memories haunt us both. Memories of your mother and what had been. For me, its memories of Raines and what could have been. Ghostly images of the past, of times and places and events that will never be agian. They are bittersweet, Parker. A reminder, both of happiness shared and of it briefness. Time is precious but fleeting. Therefore, those at the Centre need to be held accountable for their misdeeds and pay, and without you it can't be done," Beth said wearily.

"Why me? You and Jarod along with Destiny could fight the Centre," Parker says.

Beth reachs over and gently places her hand on Parker's and looks deep into those ice blue eyes and into that place that as been locked away since her mother died.

"It is fated that her child destroy that which destroyed her. It was your picture that scared the hell out of Raines that last time, Parker," Beth whispered quietly, "There so much more that you need to hear, but its late. Let's continue in the morning."

"Please, I need to know." Parker pleads.

"Yes, you do, but you will need a clear head and strong heart for what is next. I have much to explain to you, especially what Catherine did in the last two months of her life. She did not go about rescuing children blindly. She realized the dangers and ramifications if caught," Beth said as she rose from the sofa, " Come on Parker, there is a room awaiting you."

Parker also rose from the sofa, reluctant for the meeting to end, for she had so many questions that needed to be anwsered.

"Soon, I promise!" Beth said.






I need feedback on this part it was hard to write and hard to stop where I did. So please let me know.

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 11 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.
Thank you so very much for the feedback on part 10.
Someone asked if I like to torture you all, my response is No. Enough of the rambling, here is what you are all looking for, the next installment of Whatever it takes.
Please note that after the tragedy that befell the Kennedy family this weekend, I, in my own little way of keeping their memory alive have paid a small tribute to the lost memebers with this story.




Whatever It Takes
Part XI

Trisha


11/?

BLUE COVE,
DELAWARE

He had been at his computer terminal for the past two hours, busy running searches on all the sightings the Centre had received in the last month not only on Jarod but on Major Charles and the boy, as well. Lyle was breathing down his neck for answers, let alone results. With Miss Parker away on medical leave, he had no choice but to take his work to Lyle. He had come in early to finish the report, for today he was picking Debbie up from summer camp, and he wanted to leave early. He had just completed his latest search, when his heart begain to palpitate rapidly, his palms were beginning to go clammy, and he swore that beads of perspiration were forming along his receding hairline. It was a subtle but distinct sound that always elicited this response out of him. The SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAKING of two wheels. This could only mean the presence of the Centre's resident ghoul.

"Mr. Broots," wheezed the harsh voice.

"Yessss, Dr. Raines," he stammered, turning in his chair, to find thevery person he feared most, looming over him.

"I need you to check some old records for me," he simply stated.

"Certainly, Dr. Raines. As soon as I finish my report for Mr. Lyle,"Broots said enunciating each word slowly and carefully so as not to stammer.

"Forget Mr. Lyle," Raines hissed and tossed a Black file into Broots lap,"This is more important."

Broots retreived the file gingerly from his lap and began to skim through it.

"Found out everything you can in the Centre records."

"Right away, Dr. Raines. I'll get right to it and get you the information as soon as its gathered."

"I wanted it yesterday, Broots. So get to work!"

It was at the moment that the Centre's pretty boy, Mr. Lyle along with Angelo in tow, strolled over to the duo.

"Hope I"m not interrupting anything," he asks and flashes his pearlly whites, "Did you finish the report, Broots?"

"Yes you are interrupting, and the report can wait. I need to use Mr. Broots," Raines retorted coldly.

"I thought finding our missing pretenders was the first priority?" Lyle questioned, still smiling.

"I'm using Broots! Oh and Lyle, what news is there on Miss Parker?" -Raines queried.

"She just sent a fax to Sydney, she's at Lake Catherine, in Maine," Lyle states handing a sheet of paper to Raines. He glances at the paper quickly. then returns it to Lyle.

"Let Broots work. Jarod's been gone for three years, a few hours more won't matter," Raines replies. Broots silently groans inwardly, a few hours, if this fascinting little soiree didn't break up soon, he'd be late picking up Debbie.

"My father may not agree with you," Lyle snaps.

"So go discuss it with him then," Raines sneers at him, " I have important guests waiting. The three were retreived from the waters of the Atlantic and I need to get them situated in Renewal wing. Next month's issue of GEORGE won't reveal a thing about the Centre now. Raines turned and slowly shuffled down the hallway in the direction of the elevators.

"Bastard!" Lyle muttered under his breath and starts to storm off in the direction of Mr. Parker's office before thrusting the fax into Broots hand, "Give it to Sydney."

"Sure,no problem, Mr. Lyle," Broots says watching Lyle leave, then turns to Angelo and smiles, before he, himself goes in search of Syd. Leaving the Black file on the top of his computer, Angelo places a hand benevolently on it. A thin smile forms at the corner of his lips and his pale eyes luminous, he wanders down the hallway, whispering softly.

" ANGELO PROTECT FRIEND."


Do not forget to feed me!!!

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 12 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.





Whatever It Takes
Part XII

Trisha


12/?

She slept a dream-filled, distrubing slumber in which subconcious images took hold and came for her like phantasms. Pursed and hounded, she tossed and turned, the pillow saturated with sweat, she awoke with a start to stare into green eyes.

"Dreams haunt you. Don't they?" the tiny voice whispered.

"Destiny," Miss Parker spoke groggily,"What are you doing here?"

"I felt your panic. So I thought that maybe I could help. Wanna talk?"she says solemnly.

"No!"Parker snaps, perhaps to quickly, for she watches Destiny's tiny features become pinched and drawn,"Sorry, its just that you startled me."

"It's all right to ask for help. Even if the person you need is the one you least expected it to be," Destiny replies as she scoochs up closer to Miss Parker. Brushing Parker's dank, dark hair away from her face, Destiny places tiny hands on Parker's cheeks, looking deeply into troubled blue eyes, she quickly kisses her forehead and rubs noses.

"A trademark," Parker asks, a small grin on her lips.

"Yep,"came the quick reply," Now come to my room and tuck me in, or else Momma will scold me for distrubing you this late at night."

So the two figures emerge from the bedroom and silently pad down the darkened hallway to the door from which under one can spot a crack of soft light. Opening the door slowly, Parker surveys a typical child's room, white dressers, a white canopy bed, and toys strewn all over the floor.

"You really should pick this place up," she says, treading carefully.

"Not you too! You sound like Momma and Nanna," the little girl says as she crawls into her bed and pats it for Parker to sit. Taking her place where Destiny just patted, Parker draws the mauve colored sati coverlet up to her chin and then stares at the child, remembering when her own mother would tuck her in at night. As she is about to rise from the bed, the child grabs hold of Parker's hand.

"You forgot something," the small voice whispers.

"What?" Parker replies cautious, yet curious.

"Trademark?" the little girl's eyes glitter and she smiles," Agoodnight kiss."

This reply and the fact that Destiny even taps her right cheek startles Parker. She is known as the Ice Queen at the Centre and here is this child wanting a kiss from her. Quickly brushing her lips lightly on the child's cheek, Parker starts to rise from the bed, when Destiny tightens her hold on the hand she still clasps.

"Dreams haunt him too!" the child murmurs and rolls onto her side and closes her eyes and releases Parker's hand.

Parker rises from the bed, and switches out the light on the nightstand, yet she did not head in the direction of her bedroom, but down the stairs to the small study, instead. Releasing the lock, she opens the door noiselessly and slips out into the night. A gentle wisp of wind blows against her face, cool and filled with the scent of freshly turned earth. She stands for a moment staring out into the shadows, then makes her way around the alcove to the gardens in back. Night sounds fill the stillness, with a steady cadence of unseen forest life. At the rim of the gardens, beneath the row of old oaks, Parker stops and looks about.

As if willed by her thoughts, Jarod appears out of the shadows. Somehow she knew he would, he always did. He drifts soundlessly from behind the oak to stand before her.

"Couldn't you sleep, Parker?" Jarod asks in low tone.

Inhaling sharply, Parker glances away from his penatrating gaze.

"I could ask you the same thing," she finally says.

"And I will freely admit that sleep never comes easy for me. I usually have to worry about a team of sweepers, lead by a relentless huntress, finding me and taking me back to a franchise that was purchased with innocent blood from the devil, " he walks closer to her.

"Well, there are no sweepers and the huntress is tired of the hunt at the moment. It may change depending on what your girlfriend has to tell me in the morning," Parker challenges.

"Oh, I think what Beth has to reveal to you will be very . . . " Jarod stops mid-sentence and starts to laugh softly, continuing to advance even closer to Parker.

"What is so funny?" Parker fumes.

"The conclusion that you drew from a tiny kiss on the lips. I wonder what you would think if. . ."

"If what????"

With that he hooks Parker around her waist, pulling her close, then as quick as lightning his lips find tender, plaint and eager ones.

Peering out a window from the top floor of the house, a figure watches and smiles.

"It's a beginning, Catherine. It's a beginning., " Beth spoke to no one in particular.



Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 13 by Trish
Disclaimer : The Pretender and all character associated with it belongs to NBC and 20th Century Fox. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.





Whatever It Takes
Part XIII

Trisha


13/?




As quickly as he kissed her, Jarod broke the contact of their lips and looked in to Parker's eyes, smugly.

"That is a kiss shared by lovers. Now go and get a good night sleep, Parker. There's at least a little night left," he advises her.

"Eeeeeew!!" Parker smoulders, then turns so that she can return to the house.

"One more thing Parker, you look wonderful in my sweats," Jarod informs her, chuckling.

Infuriated with his childishness, Parker storms back in to the house and up to the bedroom. Once there she has every intention of shedding her body of her nightclothes but can not quite bring herself to do it.Crawling into a cold bed, Parker draws the burgundy comforter up around her and tries to drift off to sleep. Try as she might, images of dark eyes, soft lips, and warm arms replace the demons of earlier dreams.

Morning arrives quickly, as a pale sliver of light seeps through the pre-dawn forest mist and chases the shadows away. Their restless slumber is broken, as the members of the house begin to stir.

There is a soft knock at the door, and not wanting to be accused of repeating herself to a five year old child, Parker leaves the window from which she was watching the mist burning of the river by the sun's rays.

"Yes?" she states calmly as she opens the heavy wooden door.

"Pardon me, Miss, but Missus Reid wishes that you join her for breakfast in her room," an elderly woman with soft silver hair informs her.

"You must be Destiny's Nanna," Parker asks.

"In a way, Miss. I take care of her just like I took care of Missus Beth when she was younger," the woman informs her.

"Which room is Beth's?" Parker inquires.

"It's the one at the top of the stairs, Miss," the woman says and softly retreats.

Oh hell, thinks Parker. Best get this over with for this secrecy was beginning to grate on her nerves. Slowly taking her time to ascend the stairs, Parker reaches Beth's room. Exhaling quickly, Parker knocks rapidly at the door.

"Come in, Parker," Beth calls.

"Morning," Parker mumbles somewhat unconvinced that its good at all.

"Coffee," Beth asks holding a mug of the black liquid in front of her. Accepting it gratefully, Parker takes a seat in the chair that is across from that of Beth's.

"So, do you plan on answering my questions, or are you going to string me along like wonder boy does," Parker inquires.

"Parker, I had you brought here so that you could get the answers you need to make a choice about your life. Tell me what have you enjoyed in your life this year?" Beth challenges her.

"What have I enjoyed about my life this year? What has that got to do with any thing?" Parker retorts, anger in her voice.

"So everything that you have endured this year was wonderful. You discovered that Raines stoled your twwin brother at birth, not tha Lyle is such a prize for a brother, he's to twist for my taste, then your father marries again, and I must say she's quite a step down in the gene
pool compared to Catherine. I suppose the highlight of your year though was losing Thomas, done so that you would stay at the Centre. Then there is the clone and the lies that Jarod's father killed Catherine.That was so nice of them. I must say you have such a loving family. Gives one a warm fuzzy feeling all over," Beth hisses.

"How do you. . .He told you. " Parker starts to get out of the chair, fury on her features," I'll kill him, that son of a bitch."

"Sit down! I never would have believed that Catherine's daughter could be such a fool! Parker, I have watched and waited. Jarod never told me a thing. If anything, I have guided him in his own little quest for the truth, once I discovered that he escaped the Centre's clutches," Beth reveals.

"You?" Parker looks at her confused.

"Computers are wonderful tools, if used properly," Beth smiles," I tell you that fellow that works with you is quite good. He has kept me and Destiny on our toes."

"Broots!" Parker looks at the woman with amazement.

"Yes, Broots. Never underestimate the geeky, Parker. But enough of this prattle. You want to know about Catherine."

Parker nods her head slowly waiting for what this spitfire has to reveal.

"She had power, Parker. That is until Raines entered upon the scene.He started to underminded her authority. He saw the Centre as a weapon. It was never to be a place of evil. God, Catherine wanted it to be a place of learning and research. I suppose some good did come out of that cesspool. The medical breakthroughs regarding leukemia were remarkable."

"Because of Faith." Parker whispered.

"Catherine loved children, so imagine how she felt when she discovered the red files, Parker. It was to be the beginning of the end."


Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 14 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XIV

Trisha


14/?



"Momma knew?" Parker stared wide-eyed at Beth, stunned by the revelation.

"When we first met. It was accidental but I've often wondered if she's still be alive if she didn't find me with them," Beth said leaning forward in her chair.

"With you?" Parker repeated, "Not something the Centre allows."

"Like I said, it was accidental. I was taken to the Centre from the Baker Orphanage, shortly after some people came and ran tests on the children."

"Like little Davie," Parker murmured.

"Anyway, there I am in the infirmary and there was nothing to do, so I started to snoop. Got me into so much trouble at the orphanage. There I was just starting to read the files on the desk, when suddenly, there was all this yelling and screaming out in the hall. So I took the files and hid under the desk. Three voices started talking and then it escalated into yelling in the infirmary. Two males, one female. The woman was furious about some type of experiment that the other did. She ordered them to leave the boy and then get out of the infirmary and not to return until the morning. She would be staying the night with the child."

" I remember once when Momma called to tell me that she would be spending the night at the Centre, someone was ill. She called me the next morning."

"The men left, one was grumbling about going to her husband. She told him to go and see him. The other returned, told her to tread softly around Raines. She laughed at him. Told him she knew more than she let on. Told him that drugging children was unnecessary. It was time Raines discovered out just how far she'd push back. She petitioned for some type of reveiw board. He'd learn about it soon. The man said something about protecting their own child and not to tangle with Raines. He was dangerous and would stop at nothing if interfered with. After he said that, he left. I stayed under that desk for what seemed hours, but when I tried to stretch my legs,I kicked out the chair. Next thing I see is this very pretty lady bending down in front of me. Asking if I'd like to come out from under there. So, I take the files and crawled out. She asked me my name. Beth, I told her. Like the character in LITTLE WOMEN, she says. Nodding, I told her it was my favorite book, but that I had to leave it behind at the orphanage. She told me that it was one of her favorites and that she was reading it with her own little girl. Would you like a new one, she asked?" Beth stopped and wiped at the tears that had formed in the corners of her eyes, then continued," I still have it."

"The files?" Momma took them?" Parker asks.

"Not at first. The little boy in the bed begain to thrash about and she rushed over to comfort him. I watched her with him and knew that I found someone to trust. I asked her her name. Catherine. She smiled and then introduced me to the boy. This is Timmy. He was still incoherent, but I went over to him and brushed the hair from his sweaty forehead. I looked at her and said sadly. "Timmy's gone, now. It's Angelo. I know I scared her, it use to scare me all the time. The next thing I remember is being tucked into a bed and she sat there between us both. She tried to remove the files from me but I took them into the bed with me, yet I was so tired that I dropped them. She retreived them from the floor and then started to read them. I never saw them again." Beth's voice cracks with sadness.

The door to the room flew open and Jarod entered it in a huff. He glanced at the two women. Parker just sat in her chair and glowered at him still smarting from the kiss he had given her the night before.

"Beth, you were right. Someone started a search at the Centre. Destiny received a rather cryptic e-mail. When I asked her about it she just giggled," Jarod informed the women.

"Let me guess, it was signed CJacks," Beth states.

"Yep."

"I'll be there in a moment. You go and check to see if Destiny needs any help. I have something to finsh up here," Beth tells Jarod, then waits until he leaves the room. Handing Parker a journal, she heads for the door.

"That may help you understand it better than I could ever explain it. It's your mother's. Read it," Beth tells a silent Parker, then exits the room.

tbc

Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 15 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XV

Trisha


15/?

Parker held the slim journal tightly as though it were a life preserver and it would prevent her from drowning. Placing the journal upon her lap, she sat there in Beth's room and absorbed every word that was written in it.

She felt her eyes sting as they started to blur with moisture as she learned just how remarkable her mother was.

The sunlight from the window left spidery shadows throughout the room when Jarod entered. He found Parker in the same spot as when he first saw her earlier. Her eyes were closed, her cheeks were streaked with tears, and her breathing came in shallow gasps.

"Parker?" Jarod said softly as he came to kneel before her chair, reaching for her hand.

"Jarod, we need to go back to the house. It's all there. Everything!" Parker choked back a sob.

"What's there?"

"Just take me back, Jarod. Home," she whispered then rose slowly from the chair.

"Sure, Parker. Let's go say good-bye to Beth and Destiny. Then I'll take you back."

"Thank you."

"We better hurry though, there's a storm coming and we don't need to return in a downpour. Storms get pretty rough around this area, even though they build up slowly, when they hit, it's fierce."

As he headed for the door, Jarod turned to watch Parker place the journal on the small table that held the coffee service.

"Aren't you going to keep it?"

"No! It's safer here." Parker replied as she shook her head.

Together the two descended the stairs and found their hosts. After promises of returning and staying in touch, the pair were going to return to the house that started this little adventure.

RRRRRRRRRRR

Before Jarod could even dock the boat, Parker was out and securing the ropes.

"Whoa, Parker! Slow down. We have time."

"I need to see it. I need to know that it's safe."

"What?"

"Momma's files, notes, everything . It's all there in the house."

"Parker, other than your mother's personal things,and the few DSAs that I should you, there are no other files in the house."

"Yes, there are," she yelled back at him as she raced up the stairs.

"Parker, please. Have you lost your mind?" as he ran to catch up with her.

"No. I found the truth. Come on," she said, grabbing his hand. She literally dragged him up the stairs yet she had stopped to retrieve the small flat key which would unlock that last door.

"Parker, its just a linen closet. That's why I didn't. . . "

"Open the door," she demanded of him, handing him the key.

"Okay, okay," Jarod said as he unlocked the door and opened it to prove to her that it was just a linen closet," See just linens and towels."

"Help me remove these things, Jarod," Parker said as she started to hand him piles of towels and sheets. The back shelf was quickly emptied, and Parker started to remove the shelving.
"What the hell?" Jarod muttered under his breath, as he stared at the door.

"Some genius," Parker laughed softly.

"Alright, Miss Smarty Pants, where's the key? This one won't work," Jarod said, looking rather pleased with himself.

"Watch and learn, wonder-boy, watch and learn," Parker retorted as she removed her mother's ring from her finger and inserted it in the odd shaped hole of the door knob.

CLICK. Jarod stood there with his mouth agape, a dumbfounded expression on his face.

"Your lips are open but no words are coming out!" Parker smirks, feeling along the wall for the light switch. There in the room are files, a desk, a DSA viewer, and an outdated computer. The dust and cobwebs hang on everything. The air is cold, stale, and thick, but its all there. That which cost Catherine Parker her life. Hopefully this Parker would succeed, she thought as she leaned against Jarod's warm body.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 16 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVI

Trisha


16/?

Parker's breath was taken away, and there were no words to express her feelings of relief that everything was there. Untouched. Untainted. Her heart was filled with an overwhelming sense of joy, yet it also was pierced by a tinge of regret at the fact that her mother was taken from her, she had a slight desire to turn and run, and yet she remained motionless almost forgeting the patient guardian she had leaned against. She continued to gaze for what seemed an eternity, until she felt Jarod's warm breath on the nape of her neck, his strong arms embracing her.

She heard him whisper her name. Unspoken for so long, it seemed only fitting that it be spoken here in this room.

"Michaela?" he whispered softly," Are you alright?"

"Again, please, say it again," she closed her eyes and listened to her name spoken from sweet lips like a sensual caress that enveloped her like a lover's embrace that gave comfort, warmth, and protection against the harsh reality of their lives.

Parker extricated herself from Jarod's arms, reluctantly, yet she needed to look and touch. She started across the floor leaving a trail of broken cobwebs and traces of fingerprints over that which she touched. Every now and then, she would stop and examine an item more closely. Jarod stood in the doorway like a silent sentinel and watched.

"So, where do we start?" her voice broke the silence like a thunderclap.

"Huh?" Jarod replied startled by her voice.

"I said, where do we start? Jarod, are you with me?" Parker said as she strode purposely across the room to where he stood in the doorway.

"Hello??? she said as she took hold of his face in her hand and looked into his eyes, "Don't zone out on me now, wonder boy. This is one messy room and I need you help.

"Sorry. I'll go get the cleaning supplies from the kitchen," he murmured still in shock that she had not killed him over the use of her first name, but had asked him to repeat it.

"You do that," she answered and watched him scramble down the stairs.

While Jarod was down in the kitchen, Parker returned to her room. She quickly brushed her hair into a ponytail and after looking through her wardrobe, decided to leave on Jarod's sweatsuit. She met Jarod coming up the stairs, his arms laden with mop, broom, and a bucket full of supplies.

"I'll take the mop and the broom. You can go fill the bucket," Parker ordered, " Make sure its warm water too."

"No kidding, I thought we would just pretend," Jarod retorted, smiling.

"Go," Parker said pointing him in the direction of his bedroom. Returning shortly with a bucket a steaming water, Jarod sees that Parker has already began to remove cobwebs from the walls and ceiling with the mop.

"Why don't you start with the file cabinets?" Parker instructs Jarod as she continues to wipe away cobwebs.

As Jarod starts to wipe the cabinets down, he watches Parker out of the corner of his eye.

"Jarod. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure," he stops and turns to face her, a look of concern flashing briefly across his face.

"Did you know Beth at the Centre?"

" Sort of. She arrived in 1967 but, she was mostly with Angelo or alone. She had quite a temper, hence the nickname, Little Tempest."

"What is it with Raines and new names?" Parker inquired, not really expecting an answer.

" It wasn't Raines that gave it to her. It was Jacob. She hated Raines. She was constantly attacking him and other than your mother, Jacob was the only one who could calm her down. After Jacob's accident, she was a hellcat, lashing out at anyone and everyone. Raines wanted some work done and she refused. It took three sweepers to subdue her, after that she was never seen again." Jarod said shaking his head.

"Yet it took momma almost 2 years to got her out," Parker replied," It was suppose to be her and Angelo but Raines kept a tight watch on them. She did not want to plit the two up, but according to her journal if she had not gotten Beth out, her next trip would have been to the morgue. So momma made it look like Beth died. Jacob had been helping her."

"I figured that he helped her, that's why he was expendable."

"That's not the only reason that he was expendable, Jarod. While talking to Beth and then reading momma's journal, I was finally able to discover the identity of my father." Parker revealed.

Jarod looked at her, his eyes wide in astonishment that she had found out something that he had not been able to discover.

"Parker?"

"Its alright, really. Actually its not as bad as I thought it would be. I just can not reconcile the fact that Lyle. . ." she broke off and shivered at the mention of her brother's name, then returned to sweeping cobwebs. Jarod returned to cleaning off the file cabinets.

"I won't push," he thought.

"Jarod?"

"What?"

" My father. . ." Parker stopped dusting and turned to face him.

"If you're not ready, don't," Jarod said as he walked over to her.

"Jacob!" Parker said so low that Jarod was almost wondering if he had heard her correctly.

"Oh,Parker."

"Hug, please."

Jarod opened his arms and Parker stepped into them eagerly.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 17 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVII

Trisha






17/?

The friendship that the two shared as children renewed itself, after Parker revealed that Jacob was her father. Each took comfort and pleasure in this, yet they knew that soon the day would draw near and the chase would have to resume. Parker would have to go back to the Centre so that she could destroy that which took all things precious to her.

The room, dubbed ‘Catherine's sanctuary’, was cleared of dust and cobwebs in two days time. Next came the tedious but necessary task of reviewing each file and DSA that Catherine had stored there. The information staggered both Jarod and Parker. However, the documents that fascinated them the most had to be the stack of legal papers Catherine had drawn up prior to her death. She had several trust funds established and the funds were not only sizable but legally Parker's.

There was one trust that was left to Beth. A corporation called ‘SAFEHAVEN’. it was a place that sought out gifted children from orphanages and protected them from the Centre's sweeper teams. And since it missed little Davie, Beth was taking a more active role.

The other documents, gave Parker new insight as to how far "Daddy Parker" had lied. Catherine held power in the Centre and had left it to Parker. Jarod was in contact with several of the banks to review the funds and discovered that Parker was extremely wealthy.

Unfortunately, not all the news was good, Jarod had uncovered a file that scares Catherine, so deeply that she willingly risked her life to try and save her daughter and unborn child. ‘PROJECT PROGENY’. Jarod was irate. He had managed to access the Centre's computer banks and discovered that the project had been ressurrected. The fact that the Gemini project was only a semi-sucess did not bode well with the triumverate. Its sucess rate was a dismal failure. The ratio of live births to deaths was intolerable. However, Jarod also discovered that J2 was not the only viable clone, one other had survived. Parker's stomach churned at the thought that there was a second clone at the Centre. Her or MP2.

She stood in the doorway, and watched him diligently work away. He had promised to get some rest last night but he must have gotten caught up and neglected to go to bed. A shadow graced his face. He looked up when he heard her enter and offered her a sheepish smile. He stretched but his back still ached from sitting. He insisted on reviewing the pile of files and DSAs again for any information he might have missed regarding ‘PROJECT PROGENY’. Parker was worried about the pace he had set for himself. His face was so drained of color that Parker was afraid that he was on the verge of making himself ill, yet he contiuned on telling her that he required little sleep, let alone food. Just pez. He wielded pen and logged computer time for hours on en d to complete his task. He told Parker it was in Catherine's memory that this information was needed. She told him repeatedly to slow down.

"Did you get any rest last night or not?" she asked, eyeing him critically

"Couldn't! You've only five days left here and we still need to access all the bank accounts, set-up passwords, set-up time tables, and decide on a contingency plan if all else fails. I can't stop, not now."

"Jarod, you'll end up sick and then where will we be. Do I need to bring Beth and Destiny over from the island to knock some sense into your thick skull? I don't seem to be able too!" Parker says, arms folded across her chest.

"No! You can't do that. It's raining out and the weather channel has severe thunderstom warnings up for the next 48 hours. If they try to come here during a storm. . ." Jarod looked at Parker, his eyes heavy from lack of sleep, dark circles underneath.

"Enough, wonder-boy. Genius or not, you need to get some rest. You've still human. Flesh and blood. Come on, lets' go."

"Go! Where?" he quieries still reading files.

"To bed!"

"Can't!"

Parker takes the files from his hands and places them firmly on the desk. Jarod begins to reach for them, again unwilling to let go.

"NO!!!!" Parker pulls him to his feet. He is unsteady so she wraps an arm around his waist and helps him to his room. Placing two logs in the fireplace, she lights it, so it takes the chill out of the room

"Now lay down and rest," she orders him, pointing in the direction of the bed.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 17a by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVII a

Trisha






17a/?

"But. . ."
"No buts. . .sleep," Parker pushes him upon the bed, he is almost asleep before his head even touches the pillows. Drawing the comforter up around his shoulders, Parker's hand rests against his cheek, her thumb gently tracing his lips.

"Shhhhh. . .sleep," Parker tells him softly.

"MMMMMmmmmmmm!" he mumbles then turns on to his side.

Parker starts for the door, but turns to glance back at his sleeping form.

"Sweet dreams, Jarod," she whispers, then shuts the door quietly behind her. She returns to the sanctuary and retrieves the files that Jarod was working on. Returning to her own room, Parker makes herself comfortable on her bed. She reviews the latest information Jarod has uncovered regarding PROJECT PROGENY. She shudders as she reads his notes.

The project was originally scheduled to take place in 1975 but things changed. Only four of the original candidates remain. Lyle and Jarod, for Angelo had been ruled unsuitable. He was a risk. The other three were Jarod's sister, Emily, herself, and Dahalia. Emily was safe for the moment as long as she remained hidden. Therefore, Jarod would have to stop his search in order to protect her. Dahalia was dead according to Centre records. No need to be concerned there.

As for herself, she was worried. They did not know that Beth was still alive, yet she was not one of the red files but black. So for now she to was safe. However all were worried about little Destiny, if the Centre ever found out about her. The project had been renewed with the succuss of the two clones. Two new candidates were on the list. J2 and MP2. hell if the originals won't work, use substitutes, thought Parker.

It made her ill just thinking about it. Thank god that Major Charles had gotten the boy away safely, for the time being. The hunt for them was still on. The timetable for the project had been pushed back because of this. So much to do, she thought trying to stifle a yawn. Parker snuggled under the comforter and closed her eyes. A quick nap, she told herself.

Parker awoke surrounded by darkness to hear the rain drumming upon the roof and dripping from the eaves outside her windows. The bedside clock was blank, when her eyes finally focused on it. She sat up, and swung her legs over the side of the bed, and felt for her sandals, but could not find them. Rain. Lightning flashed, then came the wind and it lashed the rain and the branches in every direction, hitting the other window. Crash. Shattering glass. Thunderstorm, thought Parker.

More than a thunderstorm, it was a savage thunder battle. A really massive system rolled in and meet another and they clashed. The thunder and the lightning declared war on each other as lightning fragmented the sky and the foundation trembled and great blasts divided the air and darkness engulfed the house with its conquering noise and offered only intermitt light, which would be the sole illumination for the two occupants.

Jarod awoke to the sound of breaking glass. He bolts from his bed and stumbles in the darkness to his wardrobe for the flashlight he keeps there. Making his was, quickly, to Parker's room, the beam of light finds her trying desperately to latch the outside shutters to prevent any further damage from the storm.

"Here! Hold the flashlight," Jarod yells over the booming noise, and thrusts the light into her hands. Taking the light, Parker watches as Jarod breaks the rest of the glass and leans out the window and quickly manages to grapple with the heavy wooden shutters in the raging wind. Once the shutters are secured, Jarod retrieves the flashlight from a very wet, cold and teeth-chattering Parker.

"Come," he says as he pushes her out of the bedroom and into his. There the fire that Parker had started earlier is dying. Jarod tosses two more logs on the burning embers, then sits Parker in front of it. He grabs the blanket that is draped across the arm of his wicker chair and wraps it around her shivering frame. Jarod makes his way to the bathroom. Parker removes her wet clothes from under the blanket, letting them drop on the floor, then tucks one end of the blanket under the other. He returns with a couple of towels and hands one to Parker. She towel dries her face and hair, then realizes that Jarod is drenched to the skin.

"Jarod, you're soaked! Let's get you out of these wet clothes before you catch pneumonia," Parker says and before Jarod can reply, she peels the wet tee shirt off his torso. Jarod can not take his eyes off of Parker'. He is mesmerized by how lovely she is, with the firelight dancing off her face and shoulders.

Her eyes sparkle with a mixture of longing and purpose.




Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 18 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.




Whatever It Takes
Part XVIII

Trisha


18/?

"Parker---."

She rises up on her knees and her lips brush tenatively against his. When he does not resist, she kisses him more deeply. The pleasure from the kiss is as torrid as the summer heat. Jarod's hands are on the blanket running along her body, tracing the curves of her hips. Slowly, she takes her towel and wipes the glistening rain from his chest in a slow circular motion. The heat in the room is intense and not from the fire.

"Jarod," she whispers, her lips pressed lightly against his.

"Don't rush into something you'll regret later, Parker,'" he says and is surprised at how choked up his voice sounds. He wants to make to love to her, but. . . .

"Regrets!" she sighes and gazes into dark eyes," my entire life is full of regrets. No more!"

"Are you sure?" he asks as he cups her face with his hands.

"Jarod, tell me, would it not be nice if we could suspend time, erase all that's happened in the past and just be two normal people, consequences be damned?" Parker kisses him on the throat and he sighes.

"Yes," he admits," Yes, it. . . would." Both bodies tremble.

Their eyes lock, and consume each other hungerily. Somehow they lost track of what happened after that. All he knows is that her blanket has fallen to the floor, and the rest of his clothes soon join it. Entwined in a passionate embrace, any fears they have are quickly left far, far behind, along with the concerns of the real world. She smiles at him, and he is lost in her beauty. He drops a quick kiss upon her forehead before sweeping her up into his arms. Her head is spinning, her heart thumping, her belly knotting and unknotting itself. She slips her arms around his neck, and a feeling deep within her, bubbles up. Jarod places her on the bed, yet fears that he could harm her, or cause her to hate him. He loves her. He has since the beginning, but could never admit it, till now. He catches her hand and kisses her palm, then her wrist. He clasps her fingers and places them over his heart.

They both tumble into a place of sweet heaven but after both are silent. There is no out cry, no shout of joy. Nothing but complete and utter silence. Parker can not completely let go knowing what as just occurred. Jarod is struck by it as she curls against him, spent and quiet, so very quiet. He touches the side of her face.

"Parker???"

"I' m fine," she smiles ruefully and her breath comes in slow ragged gasps.

"Look at me, Michaela!" And he is astounded to see a single tear roll down her cheek.

"Jarod, this changes everything. Doesn't it?"

Slowly he nods and wipes away the tear. He brings his wet finger to his mouth and tastes it. Then Jarod slides closer to her and lets her snuggle next to him, her arm draped across his chest, her head on his shoulder.

"Can we stay like this for awhile?"

Jarod nods and Parker draws closer and they listen to the storm that battles on outside, for the battle inside is over. Soon both drift off to a dreamless slumber, arms wrapped tightly around each other.



Please leave some feedback at: Ractrish@aol.com
Part 19 by Trish
I know this has been going on since early July but I had a serious case of writer's block with this story. It originally was slated to go in one direction and suddenly curved and took a winding road to get to this point. I need to finish this before, school resumes, once work starts writing time is limited.
Disclaimer is that I don't own them and that I need a bit of revenge on them, let's just say that Writers are entitled to a little payback too. Rated R for nudity and language




Whatever It Takes
Part XIX

Trisha









19/?

It was late morning when the first ray of sunshine pierced the overcast sky, falling through Jarod's bedroom window bathing naked skin in a golden glow. Jarod lay close to Parker, propped up on an elbow, tracing lazy circles on her skin with gentle fingers as she slept, however, unexpected sigh escaped from Parker's lips and her eyes fluttered open slowly.

"Good morning," Jarod said with a smile.

"Morning," she smiled back and rolled on to her back allowing him access to more of her, which he eagerly took advantage of.

"Did you sleep well?" he asked softly.

"Like a baby," she surpressed a giggle.

"Seriously, Parker! I was worried that come this morning you would be gone before. . ."

She touched his neck and traced the angle of his jaw, lingering momentarily at the corner of his mouth. She caressed his lips, softly. Then reaching up with both hands, she combed her fingers through his dark hair. It was soft to the touch, and his eyes were in hers, waiting to see what she would do. Pulling him to her, she kissed and touched him hungerily, running her hands up and down his hard, muscular body as she felt him fight with tangled bedsheets. This time she controlled him. Dominated. She helped herself to him, and he was no match for her, because she was more experienced. When finished, both were exhausted.

"Jarod?" she spoke softly.

"Huh?" his reply was low and mumbled.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"I was just thinking,"

"About?"

"When we were children and you walked into my room at the Centre; I knew I found a rare gem. An intellingent mind, a mischievous soul, a lovley face as delicate as a rose. I fell in love with you, then. We were like brother and sister, family, friends, and soulmates. We laughed, we talked, we cried, god we helped each other through so much. No?" he looked at her, hoping this made sense to her. She nodded, her breathing slow and steady, yet her body trembled slightly, and her eyes blurred with tears.

"That sweet, flirtatous girl survived growing up in the harshest environment ever, to become the strong-willed, determined woman before me. The little girl is gone, but not the soulmate, the sister,or the friend. They've remained, right here, locked in this heart that beats under my hand. Let them out," he whispered.

She looked into dark eyes and felt herself lose control.

" Hold me," she choked back her tears.

"I've held you here always," Jarod whispered placing her hand over his own beating herat, "so remember that when you go back."

"Don't want to! But I have to, don't I?"

" Yes."



FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 20 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.
Okay guys! I had a late night visit from one of the nine Muses, this one was named Inspiration, and this is the result of a late night chat session.
But contact to archive. I had hoped to end this in 20 chapters but the bridge this story was on was washed out during the storm and it is now taking a rather long detour. PG-13 Mild language I think.





Whatever It Takes
Part XX

Trisha









20/?

Parker looked into Jarod's brown eyes and saw that which was probably mirrored in her own. That neither wanted to return to the game, both would rather stay at the house and forget that the outside world even existed. That however was not going to happen.

"Going back is not going to be easy," she remarked.

"No one said it would be. Now you know how I feel." Jarod caressed her cheek.

"Oh! Rub it in. You get to go off to Europe and play dectective over there for me and I have to stay behind at the Centre," she murmured.

"Jealous, are we? Are we giving up so easily? You, me and Europe. Has a lot of possiblities, Parker," he laughed.

"You are terrible. You know that, don't you? First I need to make Raines suffer a little."

"Don't rush into revenge mode on me Parker. This plan is going to take time and its important that we stick to the time table."

" I realize that. He took my family away. He murders my mother and her unborn child, steals Lyle at birth and twisted his brain. He robbed my father, twice." she closes her eyes to hold back the tears," Granted he isn't my biological father but. . ."

"So, your mother was pregnant." Jarod whispered.

"According to her journal, yes. She was so exicited." Parker stared up at the ceiling as she spoke.

"Did he know?"

"Who, Daddy? No! She told Sydney though. Now I know why he won't discuss that little tete-et-tete they had the day before," she continued to stare up at the ceiling waiting . . .

"I'm . . . ."Jarod began, but Parker turned her head to look at him, her eyes brimming with tears.

"Don't! You have nothing to apologize for. The Centre does. Now I have to take a shower," she sat up and tugged at the sheet, wrapping it around her," Care to join me?"

"Parker, please, as you reminded me last night, I'm human, flesh and blood," he grinned and his eyes danced merrily.

"Hey! I only asked if you wanted to shower. I never said a thing about. . . ." she smiled wickedly and whispered in his ear. Pulling away she watched

Jarod blush crimson, then quickly kissed him on the lips before sauntering off toward the bathroom.

"Hey! Wait for me." Jarod said as he scrambled out of the bed after her. Upon reaching the bathroom, he pushed the door shut with his foot as he yanked the towel away for Parker's body, laughing deeply.

**************************************************************

The sun that had poked its head out earlier that morning, had now receded behind ominous black clouds for the storm front was moving back into the vicinity. Jarod and Parker repaired the window that was broke the night before from the storm in her bedroom. Jarod also managed to get the generator running, so that they had electricity. As they decended the stairs to prepare lunch, the duo was surprised to find Beth and Destiny standing at the foot of the stair case, watching.

"Aunt Parker," yelled the tiny fireball as she flew up the stairs, nearly knocking Parker of balance.

"Hello, elf," Jarod said as he tugged at one of her braids," What brings you and your mother across the river on a day like today?"

"I have to leave for New York, and with the storm coming in this evening, I want to leave soon. So I came to let Destiny say goodbye and make sure that you could get a hold of me. If you need too."

"New York, now. Why? " Parker groaned at the thought of losing the last person who shared the same feelings she did for her mother.

"I didn't say I was leaving right this minute. Jarod and Destiny can go help Nanna prepare lunch. She brought the entire pantry, from ‘Whispering Woods,’ with her. You and I need to talk, sis." Beth chuckled.

"That word, sure sounds better coming from you than Lyle," Parker grinned.

"So is it okay if we use the study, Jarod?" Beth quieried.

"Go ahead. Elf and I have something to discuss with Nanna. Don't we, elf?" he said grinning foolishly.

"Huh, Huh!" the little girl replied, returning the grin.

"Chocolate cake!" both cried in unison.

" Children," Parker laughed as she rolled her eyes at Jarod.

The two women made their way to the study and took up residence on the loveseat in front of the bay window that overlooked the spacious grounds.

"Why, New York, now?" Parker looked into black eyes and sighed.

"’SAFEHAVEN'S’ a mess, Parker. I need to clean house, so to speak. I won't lose touch, not now. Anyway Delaware is not that far. I'm still going to help you and Jarod."

"Isn't dangerous for you? If the Centre discovers you're alive."

"Not to worry. Got that covered. If you were to meet me on the streets of New York, even you would not reconize me!" she informed Parker," but I'm not here to talk about me. It changed? Didn't it?"

"I'm not sure I understand the question?" Parker said, softly.

"Cut it out, Parker. I'm EMPATHIC, not STUPID! You. Jarod. Your relationship?" Beth looked at Parker coolly.

"So!"

"Look, Parker, he's still a child at heart. You just witnessed that with him and Destiny. Don't take advantage of his feelings for you. You've had intimate relationships before. . . He's an innocent, so to speak."

"What are you saying?" Parker's voice was taking a defensive tone," That this is all a game to me?"

"No! That's not it at all. I know about you and Thomas," Beth replied as she reached for Parker's hand.

"Thomas is dead. End of story." Parker shot back.

"And. . . " Beth paused, then continued softly," so's the baby."

Parker's face paled in horror, her eyes widened showing fear and sadness.

"How did. . .?" she began then stopped herself.

"I'm sorry. I am truly sorry but. . ."

"No buts, only the doctor at the hospital knew. I never even suspected," Parker turned to look out the window as raindrops began to run down the glass," The doctor said that because of the shock and the loss of blood. It was inevitable."

"Parker, you need to grieve. Losing a child is a traumatic. . ."

"Please, could you see me as a mother. No way. I don't do mommy," her voice betraying her as it cracked.

"Liar. I saw you with Destiny. I just think that you should tell Jarod. He's not Thomas."

"Don't you think I know that?" Parker whispered.

"You can't replace what you lost with him. It's not fair to either of you."

"I know. If anything, Thomas was a replacement for wat I lost with Jarod, because of the Centre," Parker said barely audible.

"Oh, Parker!" Beth reached over and hugged her," You have to tell him though. You owe him that, if you really care about him."

"Tell me what?" Jarod spoke as he poked his head around the door," Sorry. Didn't mean to intrude, but lunch is ready. And the weather is getting nasty, again."

Beth got up from the loveseat but placed a hand on Parker's shoulder and looked into sad blue eyes.

"I'm famished. I'll see you two in the kitchen." Beth said as she retreated from the study.

"Parker? What's wrong?" Jarod was by her side on the loveseat in a flash.

"I'm fine, really. We need to talk, after they leave. Okay!" she reached for his hand and slipped her's into it.

" Sure." Jarod tightened his hold on her hand as they got up to join the others for lunch.

TBC


FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 21 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.
One of my nine muses paid me a visit yesterday morning and this little chapter is the result in the never ending saga (That is the way it seems to me) of Jarod and Miss Parker. FEEDBACK PLEASE This is for Niceole who hoped that MP would do the right thing.




Whatever It Takes
Part XXI

Trisha






21/?

"Are you okay, Parker?" Jarod looked at the forlorn figure that was sitting in the white wing-backed wicker chair. She glanced up into pain-filled eyes and took the moment to reflect on what she just imparted regarding her past. She wondered, is this how I felt at the time? Or am I seeing everything from a different perspective?

"I'm apprehensive, to be truthful! What about you, Jarod?" she had bared her soul. For once in her dismal life she told the truth and waited with bated breath for what.

Rejection. She rubbed the back of her hand across her eyes, clearing her vision as she watched Jarod walk over to the fireplace, which until now was unlit, he bent down and a faint scratching sound was heard, as flames sputtered to life, trying to grow, slowly. The bedroom took on an almost antiquated appearance.

"I'll deal with it. You?" he asked his back to her. Lifting her head, slightly, to look at his tall form, lean and dark against the flickering golden glow from in front of him--she realized that no matter what bizarre twist of fate her life took, Jarod was woven in it like a cloth on the weaver's loom. He held his hands toward the flames. Parker saw them spread open as though drawing strength from the heat.

"I'm. . . .," she began quietly," I don't know what I am."

Jarod gazed into the fire, silent then nodded before he replied," It's understandable. I wish . . . I wish I could have done something. Anything."

He turned to face her, his cheeks wet. The fire crackled and snapped-emitting forth the scent of autumn, even if it was only late summer. Parker looked at him and rubbed her palms on her knees.

"There was nothing you could have done, but now that you know. What?"

Jarod was down on his knees, looking into liquid blue eyes as the firelight played upon them. He tenderly pushed back her shoulder-length hair with his hands, then cupped her face.

"Would have been a beautiful baby," he whispered. Her lips formed a small smile as her cheeks felt a warm wetness run down them, only to be brushed away by Jarod's thumbs.

"Thank you," she said meekly and with that she slid out of the chair and into Jarod arms. Jarod stared into the fire from the bed, watching the flames dance, saying nothing, as Parker released her sorrow, rage and regret.

Eventually she stopped and drifted off to sleep in his arms. Jarod caressed her hair and vowed that Raines and company would pay. Pay dearly.




FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 22 by Trish
Disclaimer I don't own the characters of Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney or Broots but I do own Destiny, Nanna and Beth.



Whatever It Takes
Part XXII

Trisha






22/?

A cold, stormy, dark night replaced the day that had orginally started out with so much joy in it. It seemed a fitting end, he thought, as he watched the flames in the fireplace dance. To lose a baby and the baby's father so close together was a cruel blow for her to suffer, as he glanced down at the sleeping figure that lay next to him. He felt her stir, snuggling closer to him. He had always dreamed of holding her and giving her the comfort she sought and for a time had been envious of Thomas. Yet, that relationship had benefited Parker, she learned to open her heart up and let someone in, unfortunately pain and sadness had lurked in the distance, and struck when she thought she had found some semblence of normalcy. Then she told him that after Thomas' death, realization had hit. Hit her hard. It was the day he waltzed into the Centre and traded her father for his. She was drawn by his unexpected brazen move. It had excited the hell out of her, something she never had with Thomas. With Thomas, it was calm, sometimes to calm, and she was raised to expect the unknown and danger. He shook his head at that. He had realized that if he truly cared for her, he wanted her to be happy and for a while it looked like Thomas was going to be that happiness. He even encouraged her to go with him. To turn her back on the Centre and him. What a strange turn of events? She was here in his arms and he had no intention of letting her go but first they had to beat the Centre. Something that was bigger than both of them. Jarod looked down and saw blue eyes staring at him.

"Hello there, sleepyhead," he murmured against her forehead.

"Did I sleep long?" she asked.

"Almost 4 hours. Why?"

"Did you? Sleep that is."

"No. Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Famished."

"Nanna left us one of her famous chicken potpies. And any sane person does not turn down one of her potpies," he chuckled, " I'll go pop it in the oven."

She nodded and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. Smiling he returned the kiss with one on her forehead.

Then Parker watched him leave the bedroom and wondered if he was alright. She had unburdened her soul only to burden his. She had always believed in him as a child, when she grew up she lost faith in that belief, but in the past few months, hell the past three years, finding a solution to all their questions had became tantamount and her faith in him had returned. She knew that soon, life would be full of danger and intrigue, she was ready for danger and intrigue, if only for a time. With Jarod in her life, nothing was going to be boring or dull. She just hoped that once the Centre was destroyed rebuilding wouldn't be so hard. Rebuilding always seemed to be the hard part. She shook her head of the thought and made her way down to the kitchen. They had some serious plans to make and hopefully a new relationship to work on. That is if she had not scared him away. She was going to be prepared for the worst to happened but by god she could not lose him again.




FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 23 by Trish
Okay, I was inspired by a little muse called Faithful. This is for all you have been following this story and bearing with me as it grew and grew. Its also dedicated to Schuyler Dahak who was in an accident and is recovering. She is contant in her feedback and so this is for you, with my thanks for encouraging me.
Disclaimer I don't own them but I like to play with them. I own the characters of Nanna, Destiny, and Beth. NBC owns the rest.
Archived at Nicolette's wonerful site.

There is some mild swearing in this one but nothing major.




Whatever It Takes
Part XXIII

Trisha






23/?

Upon entering the kitchen, Parker expected to find Jarod busy preparing their supper. Instead the kitchen was empty, not that he had not been in there working, for she saw that the sink was full of cuttings for a salad, the timer was ticking and the aroma of chicken made her realize just how hungery she was. Approaching the stove, Parker caught her reflection in the patio doors, which was wet from the steady rainfall. Disheveled was the apporiate word for her appearance. Smoothing her hair using the window as a mirror, she watched Jarod walk up behind her, his strong arms wrapping around her waist, his lips catching the back of her hand that was in her hair.

"My turn to ask? What are you thinking?" he spoke softly.

" About the darkness." Parker replied.

" What about it?"

"A funny thing about darkness. Did you ever notice how lonely it can be. Like you don't know what is going to happen next and there is no one to turn too. Then again, it can be frightening. Like the darkness that surrounds the Centre. Its inky black even in the daytime." Parker shuddered slightly and felt Jarod tighten his grip around her.

"And sometimes it gives comfort, Parker. Like two lovers secure under the covers."

"So, where do we go from here, Jarod?"

" We go forward, together. I hope." he stared at her in the window a small smile on his face.

"Together. I like that but first. . ."

"First you have to find that other clone and I have a few little trips aboard to take."

" So in three days time I return to the Centre and you go off looking for that which my mother left as clues to the Centre's demise."

"She left you more than clues, Parker. She left you the ability to take it over as long as it planned properly. You have to decide who you want to tell."

"I'm going to need Broots help and I have to tell Sydney. Hell, I've endured so much as it is. I'm stronger than I thought."

"And that's an ephinany for you? " he laughed slightly,'"You are the strongest woman I know."

They were interrupted by the timer going off to inform them that dinner was ready. Parker took one last look out the patio door as she watched the moon play upon the water and between the clouds, she felt a great calm overcome her soul. She felt well, strong, and whole. There was urgent business that needed her attention. Business that she knew she could handle. So with exhilaration and lightness of heart, Parker would spend the next three days with Jarod, building a new life, a new adventure.

****

Two days later
Blue Cove, Delaware

The gang was all there in the lobby of the Centre. Each had received a summons from the tower to be there bright and early.

"So what the hell is this meeting about, Mutumbo?" Mr. Parker voiced his concern.

"I am just as much in the dark as you."

"Please you expect me to believe that," Lyle snapped.

"What's going on Sydney?" Broots whispered.

"I'm not sure, Broots. I just wish Parker was here."

"She's due home tomorrow night according to her fax."

"I know that but it might be to late. . ." Sydney was silenced by the creaking of Raines oxygen tank.

"Someone tell what's so important, that I have to leave my honored guests in Renewal wing." he wheezed.

The lobby continued to buzz with the different pitched voices and never saw the petite woman standing on the balcony above them amused at their confusion.

" Silence," she yelled.

Each looked up at the voice that had hushed the crowd below. A small petite, fiery red haired, with green eyes that glittered like a cats stood, her hands gripping the rail tightly.

"Oh my god," Brigette whispered, her lollipop falling to the floor.

The others turned there gaze upward.

" It''s so good to see that those tiny mirrors in your brain are working, my dear. How long did it take for your thoughts to bounce off of them." the woman said, clearly amused.

" Wynne." Mutumbo's voice answered the question on all the others minds.

" So where the hell is Ms. Parker?" the woman demanded.

"My sister is on medical leave."

"Sh sh she due back tomorrow night." Broots stammered.

"Good. She and I have some important business to discuss."

"What do you want with my daughter, Wynne?"

"That's my business. Now we have two pretenders on the loose and one Major Charles to find. I suggest you get to work. Sydney, I want to see you in Miss. Parker's office, now." the woman said softly but with authority.




FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 24 by Trish
Disclaimer is in part one. This part of the story is finally drawing to an end and I want to thank those who seem to enjoy. I would never have done any of this if it weren't for those of you who write so much better than I do.



Whatever It Takes
Part XXIV

Trisha







24/25

THE CENTRE
Blue Cove, Delaware
Miss Parker's office

"Sydney, why is she here?" Broots whispered.

"I'm not sure Broots. Wynne usually doesn't bother with lowly peons," Sydney replied, "She's a mystery, unto herself."

"You know her?" Broots' eyes went wide.

"She came to the Centre about ten years ago. Rose up through the higher eschelon, quickly. The tower promoted her about two years later, she doesn't leave the tower often. She's got final say on all special projects, except for Raines, he does what he pleases. They don't get along."

"Special Projects?"

"Let's put it this way Broots, when Wynne is around, there's something big planned. In other words, someone ticked her off and heads will roll. And that is not a figure of speech."

Broots gulped nervously as he watched Sydney knock on Miss Parker's office door.

"Come," the voice spoke.

"Wynne," Sydney said slowly.

"Good to see you again, Sydney."

"I'll reserve judgement on that Wynne," Sydney answered, but a slight smile graced his lips.

"Fine! Where's Parker?"

"According to Lyle, she's. . . ."

"I don't give a damn what Lyle says. She can't stand the sob and neither can I. If anyone in this place knows where she is, its you or that nerdy computer tech. So tell me where the hell she is?"

"I don't know for sure where Miss Parker is?"

"Sydney, I'm not asking again!" she glared at him with green eyes twinkling.

"She's in Maine," he uttered, dejectedly.

"See, that wasn't so hard now. Was it?" Wynne purred.

"You were told that she's due home tomorrow. Since when has Miss Parker become your concern, Wynne."

"She's alway been my concern, Sydney. She was so close. . ." Wynne smiled and turned to pick up a file off of Miss Parker's desk.

"To finding Jarod," Sydney quieried.

"No, to freedom. . ." she whispered, shaking her head, "Any sign of the Major? The Boy? Jarod?"

"No. You know that though. Can I ask why you are here,Wynne?"

"You can ask but I don't have to tell you!" she continued to page through the file, then turned her eyes to Sydney.

"No, you don't, but when you show up it's not a good sign."

"Oh come on, Syd. I would never hurt anybody that I liked. Come to think about it, there aren't many here I do like," a cheshire smile graced her face," I so enjoy rattling their cages."

"Brigette was not happy to see you, I'll say that for you. Parker would have enjoyed seeing her squirm," Syndey's eyes twinkled and a small laugh emerged from his throat,

"Brigette was warned. I should know. I issued the warning. She' ll pay the price, but that's my concern not your's. Now run along and leave Parker a message." Wynne reached up and ran her blood red talons along Syndey's cheek.

"What message would that be, Wynne?"

"Wynne's whining," she laughed, shocking him, "She'll understand."

"Wynne, you don't whine. You bellow softly."

"Thank you. Now shoo! Oh and tell Tweedledee and Tweedledum, Wynne is a waiting." she winked at him as he closed the door behind him.

A small noise caught Wynne's attention, quickly she strode across the room and locked the door to the office, before finding the source of the distraction.

"It's alright, Angelo. Bad man not come for a while," she cooed and watched the ceiling grate swing open and the savant peering down at her. A smile appeared on his features, slowly.

"Wynne wonderful," he whispered, "Wynne wants to win."

"Yes, Angelo, Wynne will win," she handed him an envelope and a bag of his favorite snack food.

"Help Wynne. Must protect," he muttered and disappeared into the shaft pulling the grate up as he retreated.

"Yes, must protect," Wynne repeated the savant's last words to herself, quietly, as she made her way to the chair at Miss Parker's desk.

****

Meanwhile in Lyle's office, Brigette nervously paced the floor, a new lollipop in her mouth.

"Will you sit down?" Lyle hissed.

"Lyle, It's Wynne. That isn't Miss Parker in that office. It's WYNNE." she shrieked.

"So!"

"You think your sister is a bitch. Wynne's the witch from hell."

"What did you do to piss her off ?"

"I tangled with her over Parker."

"Excuse me?"

"Mutumbo questioned your sister's loyalties ever since the incident in May," she said, not taking her eyes off of him, watching understanding dawning in his blue eyes.

"The carpenter or the boy!"

"BOTH! Wynne knows and if she knows its just a matter of time before. . . ."

"Parker nows. Is that what you are telling me?"

Brigette nodded. A knock on the door interrupted the duo, both turning to see Sydney poked his head in.

"Wynne would like to see both of you," he said softly, a look of enjoyment was on his features compared the look of terror on Brigette's and Lyle's




FEEDBACK, I'M BEGGING. Ractrish@aol.com
Part 25 by Trish
Disclaimer is in part one. This part of the story is finally drawing to an end and I want to thank those who seem to enjoy. I would never have done any of this if it weren't for those of you who write so much better than I do.



Whatever It Takes
Part XXV

Trisha







25/25

Blue Cove
Delaware

Wynne was bored.

A key player, a member of a group who tried to change the world by exploiting those whose talents were considered genius. At least that's what those at the tower believed, a loyal subject. She was good, she had to admit it. It was her favorite pastime, pretending, and something she'd been doing for a long time.

Sitting in Parker's office, she waited for the two she had summoned. They were probably less than enthusiastic about this meeting. She on the other hand was thrilled.

Wynne sighed, heavily. One of the worst things anyone could do to her was piss her off. Yet the prospect of chewing those out who did was wonderfully exhilirating. A sort of sexual release for her.

Sighing, again, Wynne clicked on the mailbox icon of her cell phone, and was rewarded by the code word-NICENE. There was a moments silence in the office, before she allowed herself, a big smile and a wonderful chuckle.Success.

The knob on the door began to turn, so Wynne pasted an expression of indifference on her features and waited. They kept her waiting long enough, so payback was only fair. She'd play it cool, let them think that everything was fine. She would make Lyle dance, and she'd name the tune. REVENGE. It was all so simple and the rewards, gratifying. Rising from the chair, she planted herself in the middle of the room, arms folded, feet mere inches apart, then she watched as pretty boy allowed step-mommy to enter ahead of him. Brigette was nervous and would not look her in the eyes. That was a good sign, she knew that she had tangled one to many times. Wynned always liked the power that came with intimidation. It was a strong, heady feeling, she always told Parker that sometimes being a bitch paid off.

"Mrsssss. Parker," Wynne stretched the Mrs. just a little to uncomfortablely for Brigette. It was clearly a warning, what the tower maketh the tower breakth. Wynne watched the blonde, what was it that Parker called her, oh yes the troll, squrim.

"Winnieeeee," Lyle cooed, a grin on his face, a look of pure terror crossing Brigette's. Mistake one, Wynne thought, smiling.

"Who let you out of the playpen?" he smirked, his blue eyes twinkling, brightly.

Mistake two! Come on Lyle, one more, please, Wynne continued to smile. Yet her green eyes narrowed, like a cat's .

"So, the triumverate allowed the baby to come and . . . ."

Mistake three, oh thank you so much, Lyle, Wynne thought. Her eyes now mere slits, as her hand clamped down suddenly on his wrist, her long slender blood-red talon squeezing the place where his thumb use to be, unrelentingly. Groaning, in pain, Lyle dropped to his knees,

Brigette standing there, mouth agape.

"The "E" is silent, understand," she said through clenched teeth, her talon never loosening her grip, "You made this baby angry, you self-serving bastard. This baby could break you too, pretty boy. There's a room waiting for you on renewal wing, should baby make the reservations. How long would you like to stay? Indefinately, I think." Wynne released her grip on his hand and watched him lose his balance, landing with a loud thud on the floor. A small snicker releasing itself from her throat.

"Get up, you little fool!" Wynne hissed," I hate those who think they are smarter, better and wittier than me, with the only exception being your sister. You, Lyle, therefore have the number one spot on my top ten list of fools. The incompetence that you exhibited in the murder of Thomas Gates is and was beyond my comprehension. The Centre had to mop up that mess and there's still leakage seeping out from it. What the hell where you thinking? You left a trail, Lyle. A big one.Your sister is not a fool. She is trying to uncover the truth. Personally, I would love a front-row ring-side seat to see her blow your stupid fucking brains out, just like you did the carpenter's, that is if your sister discovers the truth. Would prove fascinating entertainment, the only thing that she'll need to clean up with after the deed, will be a thimble."

"But Wynne, she wanted to leave. No one leaves the . . ." Brigette started to whine, only to be silenced by Wynne's hand.
"How long do you think it would have lasted? She would have been bored in six months. Moving from house to house while he played Mr. Fix-it. No excitement, no thrill of the chase. Your sister lives for the hunt. It keeps her alive, now I'm not so sure. You imbeciles may have given her the impetus to seek revenge."

"If you believe Miss Parker's loyalities regarding the Centre are. . ." Brigette started to say.

"Who said anything about the Centre? Parker wants answers and she's tenacious enough to find them. That's why I'm here. I have a very special project for her," Wynne grinned.

"What about us?" Lyle asked.

"You have been re-assigned to finding the Major and the boy. And you my dear, are to stay out of my way and spawn." Wynne replied, sarcastically, " Now get the hell out of my sight. Oh and Lyle, no more screw ups. Like I said there's a room just waiting for you!"

The two quickly exited the office and nearly bumped into Broots, who was reading a rather interesting print-out. He looked up to find Wynne staring at him from the doorway, her hand outstretched. Reluctantly, he handed over the paper, and began to make his way to Sydney's office.

"Broots," Wynne drawled, watching him turn back around and walk slowly toward her.

"Yeeesss," he stammered, his knees shaking, he swore everyone could hear them knocking.

"Has he seen this, yet? " she rustled the paper, slightly.

"Nooooo, I was just on my way to renewal wing to give it to him?"

"Really, oops, what a shame! " Broots watched as Wynne deliberately shredded the print-out into tiny strips and then brought her face close to his," Is there anything else that needs your attention at the moment?"

"Nnnnnno, not with Miss Parker gone. Raines had me running a search on the. . .that was the only thing that I was working on. Why?" his eyes got big and his heart started to race as fear set in.

"I hear that you have a lovely daughter. So, I thought that since I don't get to leave my office to often, that you and she would like to join me for a picnic, " Wynne grinned, totally blowing Broots mind.

"Sure, Miss. Wyn. . . ." his cheeks red with embarassment.

"Broots, leave the Miss for Parker. Meet me here in an hour." Wynne turned and headed toward the elevator, Broots stood there his mouth open, speechless, when Sydney found him.

"What is it, Broots?" Sydney asked.

"Wynne just asked me and Debbie to join her for lunch," Broots said, still stunned.

"And?"

"And what? Sydney, I told her, we'd go," he whispered.

"So, go." Syndey said as he looked at the computer tech.

"Okay. Syd, is it safe for me to take Debbie?"

"She survived being with Miss Parker, didn't she, she'll survive being with Wynne," Sydney said, a smile forming.

"Thanks, Syd. Oh! If Mr. Raines comes looking for his research, tell him the files came back empty. Nothing, nada , a complete zero. I have to call Debbie and tell her I get to spend time with her today before school starts," Broots grinned.

Sydney watched Broots happily walked into his office to make his phone call and shook his head.

"Broots, my friend, Debbie has nothing to be worried about, but you do," Sydney murmured to no one in particular.


SL-8

"Angelo," the voice whispered in the semi-dark," Angelo, answer me, please."

"Scared?" came the reply," No be scared."

"Yes, I'm scared. Where's J? Angelo, where did they take him?"

"J found other half. Daughter tried. Friend helped. Daughter hurt. Safe with father."

"Angelo, you don't make any sense. What do you mean that J found other half?" the voice cried.
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=1619